V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Some Numbers:

Browns are 1-0 and Jets are 0-1.

Browns are favored by 6 points.

The Over/Under is 40.5 points. Lowest total in the league.

Injuries:

Jets:
Wilson is still out and Flacco will start for the second straight week.
Both starting offensive tackles are out.

Browns:
Greedy on IR
Will Conklin and/or Hubbard play?

Key Matchups:

--The Browns pass rush vs the depleted Jets offensive line. The Browns should be able to generate a lot of pressure on Flacco and he is not the most elusive qb in the world. They are going to need to get that pressure because the Jets have some very good receiving options.

--The Browns run defense vs the Jets running game. The Browns did a nice job last week, but I'm pretty sure the Jets will challenge our run defense w/Michael Carter and Breece Hall.

--The Browns run game vs Jets run defense. The Browns ran it very well last week. The Jets D bottled up the Ravens run game last week. This matchup is huge because the Browns don't want to have to rely on their passing game to win.

--Special teams battle. Given that both teams want to run the ball, field position is going to be huge.

--Turnover battle. Neither team is good enough offensively to lose the turnover battle by more than 1.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Can't believe I'm saying this being it's the NFL, any given Sunday, Browns starting a backup QB, etc, but the Browns should trounce the Jets. They are a bad team with a bad coaching staff...they are just a bad organization all the way around.

They have some talent at the skill levels on O. They've got a few defensive pieces. But they are 3 to 4 win ceiling team whose biggest decision this off season will be to stick with Wilson or draft a QB.

This should have the feel of the Carolina game hopefully minus the blown coverages. Browns should be in complete control from start to finish. We have too much talent and a better coaching staff.

Legend
Legend
I think we should win the game as well. We have a far better roster and their OL is not good.

I do worry about Moore and their pass catching RBs though.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Apparently there was speculation on whether Flacco would remain the starter this week. I wonder if Mike White, the favorite qb of our own cfrs, will replace Flacco if things don't go well for the Jets early on?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Flacco, White,.Wilson...they are all bad. Browns should win going away if any of those three were to play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Some Numbers:

Browns are 1-0 and Jets are 0-1.

Browns are favored by 6 points.

The Over/Under is 40.5 points. Lowest total in the league.

Injuries:

Jets:
Wilson is still out and Flacco will start for the second straight week.
Both starting offensive tackles are out.

Browns:
Greedy on IR
Will Conklin and/or Hubbard play?

Key Matchups:

--The Browns pass rush vs the depleted Jets offensive line. The Browns should be able to generate a lot of pressure on Flacco and he is not the most elusive qb in the world. They are going to need to get that pressure because the Jets have some very good receiving options.

--The Browns run defense vs the Jets running game. The Browns did a nice job last week, but I'm pretty sure the Jets will challenge our run defense w/Michael Carter and Breece Hall.

--The Browns run game vs Jets run defense. The Browns ran it very well last week. The Jets D bottled up the Ravens run game last week. This matchup is huge because the Browns don't want to have to rely on their passing game to win.

--Special teams battle. Given that both teams want to run the ball, field position is going to be huge.

--Turnover battle. Neither team is good enough offensively to lose the turnover battle by more than 1.

Just for clarification, I think Fant was always projected to start at one of the OT spots. Becton was supposed to be the RT, but then had the evulsion fracture. Duane Brown was supposed to replace Becton (and kick Fant to RT,) but went down with his own shoulder injury. Max Mitchell, rookie 4th rounder this year, got the start at one OT spot. Grant Hermanns, from their practice squad, was their only backup OT.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I’ll be honest, Streveler was the QB who most intrigued me in their preseason

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I agree. This should be a walk in the park. The Jets are absolutely terrible, especially with Flacco at QB.

The Browns should not even consider playing Conklin and I would leave Hubbard to rest another week, too, especially, this being a short week with Pittsburgh upcoming.

It'd be nice to see Wills play with full effort rather than going through the motions. He has the ability, I just question his drive.

Will not be surprised when Flacco is benched at halftime as Saleh continues to search for answers.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns should not even consider playing Conklin and I would leave Hubbard to rest another week, too, especially, this being a short week with Pittsburgh upcoming.

Great point and I'm interested to see what they do w/ Conklin. Seemed like he would have been good to go Sunday if it was a playoff game, but wanted to play it safe for obvious reasons.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Their offense is bad. Their defense has some nice pieces. This one could definitely be another ugly slogfest. Brissett might need to actually hit some deep balls if we're going to win comfortably in this one. The teams' strengths and weaknesses seem to match up as far as our O and their D. Fortunately, I don't know that their O really has a strength with their current OT situation.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Great point and I'm interested to see what they do w/ Conklin. Seemed like he would have been good to go Sunday if it was a playoff game.
I thought Hudson and Pocic had pretty nice games filling in (technically Pocic is a starter now, but he actually may be better than Harris).

Adding Conklin will help though

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Jets will look for Flacco to get the ball out quickly vs our pass rush. I think they want the ball to be in Flacco's hands as little time as possible whether it's a run play or a quick pass and get the ball into the hands of a WR or RB.

I think the Dline will do their thing, they just need to worry about the Jets trying to run it up the middle. DTs need to have a solid game. Other than that, I would think we lean on our corners as well to play aggressive vs their passcatchers. Make Flacco think/hesitate about throwing it.

Let Chubb and Hunt both eat again. That side of the ball shouldn't be hard for us to gameplan for. Maybe we try to get some momentum/confidence behind Brisset(?).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We all kinda know this, but Teller confirms it.

Legend
Legend
Looking up Browns/Jets history … we’ve played 29 times as of Sunday. 19 of them have been at Cleveland. Kind of an oddity

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
bonefish posted a link to this on another thread. I think it also fits here because it identifies some of the Jets strengths and weaknesses last week.

Taking a look at PFF grades from Jets' Week 1 loss

Billy Riccette
September 12, 2022 6:07 pm ET

The report cards are in from Pro Football Focus and the Jets are going to have to bring them home and get them signed by their parents.

Overall, it was not a good showing from the Jets in PFF grading. (Thank you, Captain Obvious.) The Jets received an overall grade of 59.4, good for 23rd out of 30 teams with the Seahawks and Broncos playing Monday. Incredibly, the Jets scored higher than two teams that won on Sunday, the Giants (56.7, 26th) and the Bears (46.6, 30th).

There were two players that can feel good about their grades. DT Quinnen Williams (92.1) and CB D.J. Reed (90.3) both scored above 90. In fact, only two defensive tackles graded higher on Sunday than Williams: Jeffrey Simmons of the Titans and Chris Jones of the Chiefs.

Williams’ grade included a 91.9 grade for pass rush and a 72.3 grade for run defense. Reed’s grade included a 90.0 grade in coverage, 77.7 in run defense and 75.4 in tackling.

Only one other player for the Jets had a grade above 80…the long snapper. Thomas Hennessy had a grade of 80.6 as he recorded a special teams tackle Sunday.

Indeed, no offensive player graded above 80 Sunday and only players had at least a 70: OG Alijah Vera-Tucker (76.2) and WR Garrett Wilson (70.6). Maybe the Jets need to use their No. 10 overall pick a bit more than 41 snaps.

Vera-Tucker’s grade was boosted by his 91.1 run blocking grade. He needed it, because he scored a 45 in pass blocking. In fact, none of the offensive linemen graded well in pass blocking. 59.8 was the highest pass-blocking grade any of the starting five received, which was center Connor McGovern.

George Fant (56.0) and Max Mitchell (50.1) both saw at least a 50 in pass blocking. Then there’s Laken Tomlinson.

In his first game as a Jet, Tomlinson had a day to forget in the eyes of PFF. His pass-blocking grade was 39.5. His run-blocking grade was 36.8. That gave him an overall grade of 38.6. That was tied with Lawrence Cager for the lowest offensive grade for the Jets Sunday.

If you thought those numbers were bad, check this out. You might actually be surprised to find out who had the worst PFF grade out of all the Jets players Sunday. That would be safety Lamarcus Joyner, with a 29.0. Yes, a 29 PFF grade.

Joyner earned a 29.6 coverage grade from PFF and allowed a perfect QB rating, as he was in coverage on the 55-yard touchdown to Rashod Bateman.

Also scoring below 50 were CB Bryce Hall (44.2), LB Quincy Williams (45.0) and, also perhaps surprisingly, safety Jordan Whitehead (46.2).

Whitehead had a 42.5 coverage grade and allowed a 144.8 QB rating, giving up 37 yards on four catches Sunday. Whitehead did get a grade of 81.4 in tackling and 66.7 for run defense.

Three other Jets besides Williams and Reed posted at least a 70 grade on defense. They were DL John Franklin-Myers (79.9), LB Kwon Alexander (74.0) and CB Sauce Gardner (72.9).

By the way, for those curious about Joe Flacco, he graded at 67.7 overall with a 67.5 passing grade, 58.2 rushing grade and 60.0 run-blocking grade. And for those wondering about Greg Zuerlein, a 60.0 overall, 60.0 for kickoffs and 32.2 for field goals.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/12/new-york-jets-week-1-pff/

M
Legend
Legend
M
We should absolutely win this game going away. We could have Charlie Frye at QB and we should win by 2TD. Stay healthy, gain confidence. Looking forward to it.

Keys to the game: Turn Up. Play Hard. Don't Suck. Don't make mistakes.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/14/22 01:33 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was just thinking about the last time we played the Jets. It was in 2020. I think [but, am not sure] that we could have clinched a playoff spot. I think we were 10 and 4 and they were 1 and 13. We lost 23 to 16.
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Can't believe I'm saying this being it's the NFL, any given Sunday, Browns starting a backup QB, etc, but the Browns should trounce the Jets. They are a bad team with a bad coaching staff...they are just a bad organization all the way around.

They have some talent at the skill levels on O. They've got a few defensive pieces. But they are 3 to 4 win ceiling team whose biggest decision this off season will be to stick with Wilson or draft a QB.

This should have the feel of the Carolina game hopefully minus the blown coverages. Browns should be in complete control from start to finish. We have too much talent and a better coaching staff.

I don't think we are good enough to ever think that way.

I was just thinking about the last time we played the Jets. It was in 2020. I think [but, am not sure] that we could have clinched a playoff spot. I think we were 10 and 4 and they were 1 and 13. We lost 23 to 16. I believe Baker fumbled 2 or 3 times. No one saw that one coming.

R
Legend
Legend
R
My confidence comes from me following them closely. They are already unraveling as their coach said in a presser this week he will be keeping receipts from all the naysayers. A head coach in the national football league actually said that. He also implemented a positive vibes only mantra during training camp. I don't think he survives beyond this year. This is no different than the Browns of yesteryear playing the Steelers with a backup QB. We still lost. If Stefanski is good we should win this easily.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just remember, Stefanski calls the plays. He doesn't execute them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I hear you on Saleh. He's been bad. It's just hard for me to even think about an easy victory. Also, the Jets were huge underdogs against Cinci last year and beat them. Most of our fans think we will have a losing record this year. Someone said 2 and 15. Let's pump the breaks in just how dominant we are.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think I just want this one bad. I think a loss to the Jets will be soul crushing, even with Jacoby at QB. If we are hoping to stay afloat before Watson comes back and have a chance to make some noise down the stretch this is a game we have to win.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
There are many reasons why we should win this game.

We should win this game.

I just can never go into a game thinking that this a win for sure. I guess it is my nature. I have seen so many oddball things happen in sports.

When the game clock reads zero and we have more points. I then can think we had it in the bag.

When we start going through the meat of the schedule. Playing the Chargers and everyone is saying we will lose.

That is when I feel good because I know we can win.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They have better weapons on the perimeter than we do, but our secondary is better.

They have a good run stop, we run the ball.

They have a backup QB we have a backup QB.

I liked their draft. I think Zach Wilson was the obvious bust in that draft, so is Flacco that much of a downgrade? Dunno, honestly don't think so, maybe the upside isn't as high but the right now.....coin flip

I think it's an ugly game and I think our roster gives us a slight edge. I'm going to the game so I hope I'm wrong and Brisset runs wild and throws for 500 yards but I see another Carolina, a game we could win or lose but should win on paper.

Last edited by BpG; 09/14/22 04:38 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
We will always have week eight 2021.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I feel the same way. I think we should win. We are better in my opinion. I just am unable to ever overlook another team. I wasn't trying to argue w/Rish or anything. I just get apprehensive when we think a game is a gimme. There is no way we should have lost to them in 2020. Yet, we did.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was going to mention that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Refresh my memory.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We had just beat Denver. Played the Steelers at home. Lost 15 to 10 or something like that.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 09/14/22 07:45 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Refresh my memory.

Mike White was the best QB in the league.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns pass rush, headed by Clowney and Garrett have the potential to play only average or not that great.
Can they stay motivated, when not playing a revenge against Mayfield game.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Most of Our WR room was out with COVID that game, Probably some our OL

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
When we put Chubb and Hunt in together it really puts the defense in a hard place.

We can run so many different looks and if forces the defense to react. In the end it is about putting your playmakers on the field.

Even if neither gets the ball. The defense is put on their heels. I don't see how we can not create an open guy.

In a passing league I see a way for the Browns to be a problem for other teams.

The mistakes made against the Panthers are easily corrected. It is not a matter of personnel.

It is important for this Browns team to learn to play clean football. Use the players skills and eliminate mistakes.

I really want to see what we can do on both sides of the ball with good execution.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I was just thinking about the last time we played the Jets. It was in 2020. I think [but, am not sure] that we could have clinched a playoff spot. I think we were 10 and 4 and they were 1 and 13. We lost 23 to 16.

I don't think we are good enough to ever think that way.

I was just thinking about the last time we played the Jets. It was in 2020. I think [but, am not sure] that we could have clinched a playoff spot. I think we were 10 and 4 and they were 1 and 13. We lost 23 to 16. I believe Baker fumbled 2 or 3 times. No one saw that one coming.

I was thinking about that game as soon as I saw the Jets on the schedule. That was the only game I've ever seen both Chubb and Hunt rendered useless.

Chubb 11 - 28 / Hunt 4 - 11

That was the COVID game where the team had a run-through in the parking lot with the new WR staff. Every WR had COVID (as well as Wills).

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is a pretty good video of the Jets/Browns matchup. Most of the keys I mentioned are addressed, plus there is additional information.

Legend
Legend
I have watched that Anderson play numerous times.

It was not on Delpit.

It was Newsome. JJ can be seen showing the play to Newsome on the sideline. When JJ cut in front to take the flat. Newsome was supposed to stay on his man.

He stopped. Thinking that JJ was there to take over that coverage. Delpit was in the middle and not in the play. He just chased the guy when the play was over.

The Jets game IMO is about the Browns OL taking command up front. If we take over the LOS on offense the Jets are screwed.

On the other side Defense LOS. Flacco can not move. Heavy pressure and Flacco is in trouble. Typically we rush four. I would not be surprised if we run some blitz packages in this game.

Legend
Legend
I have the directv nfl package. I record the game.

After a couple days go by I like to rewatch the game and look for what I missed.

The plays that Jacoby missed either by a poor throw, not seeing the guy, or bad timing are mistakes he can correct.

There are throws into tight windows he will never make. He doesn't have that kind of anticipation with the ability to throw a guy open.

But the errors he made in the Panthers game he can make those plays.

Part of the reason IMO was opening day jitters. I think his mind was in fast forward. This week should help him. He had a 52% completion rate and he is a 60% guy. Stefanski is not going to force him to be what he is not.

IMO the offense will be similar but more ready to execute. It is easier to look at what you did and correct. Than it is to face the music for the first time.

I am cautiously optimistic about how he will play in this home game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
The plays that Jacoby missed either by a poor throw, not seeing the guy, or bad timing are mistakes he can correct.

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but considering this is his seventh season in the league I have no idea why someone would think he can change who he is. I think that window has passed. A rookie coming into the league can certainly be coached up and develop. But at some point that developmental stage has evaporated. I do think that gaining some familiarity in actual game situations with his WR's may help over time. But I don't see that as some magic switch that can be flipped on in an instant.

Until watson returns and shakes off the rust, how ever long that takes, each week will have the same formula. You can only make the recipe you have the ingredients to make. Ball control O. Short passes with a strong running game. Solid defense and a shut down secondary. This is the most likely scenario this roster can produce. That's not really a bad thing. As I've said in previous posts, nobody bats 1000. There will on occasion be a blown coverage. It happens in every NFL game that gets played by every team across the league.

But Brissett is who he is. This caterpillar isn't going to become a butterfly at this point. Stefanski knows this and will game plan accordingly. Where the Browns are so fortunate is they have the best RB group in the league. Especially when you consider you have a guy like D'Ernest Johnson sitting there at #3 on the depth chart. Then there's that great run blocking OL.

If any team can overcome having Brissett at QB it's the Browns. They're built for it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He has a career 60% completion rate.

Panthers game 52%. Doesn't sound like much but it is.

He can make the throws he missed. If he hits two of them we have 14 more points.

He is not going to complete or probably not even attempt some of the throw guys like Herbert make.

But he can complete what I believe he will be asked to make. There is no doubt he is a back-up quarterback.

I still expect him to improve week to week.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't think anyone is under any Illusion on how this offense is going to run for the next 10 games, theres a reason we have so many backs on the team. All Brissett has to do is make a few more throws and not turn the ball over.. If KS is as good as people think he is (I'm not 100% yet) then he will slowly start adapting playcalling to maximize JB. If he has a few more games like last week with sub 50 rating, I think you have to start looking at another option though. IMO

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: lampdogg
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 30 Jets 31 Browns vs Jets: Key Matchups

Link Copied to Clipboard