Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
I wondered if anyone listened to the radio broadcast of the game and your thoughts on Zegura's commentary. Currently living near Dayton, CBS carried the Bengals game. Many times, I would listen Jim & Doug with the TV sound down when CBS did carry it live anyway.

When he was hired for this position, I was not looking forward to it due to how much I enjoyed Jim & Doug in the booth. Also, I listen to the CBD podcast while I walk every day and Nathan drove me nuts sometimes during that show. I felt like he talked too much, and "Merely Bo" and he seemed to go overboard complimenting each other and were always talking about what they did the previous weekend, professional wrestling or something else not related to the Browns for some time 15 minutes to start the show.

I must say I was somewhat impressed by his work Sunday. He spoke much more than Doug Dieken, but he usually had interesting or relevant information and a lot of data. I do wish he hadn;t shouted over Jim D during the winning kick, but I saw the video from the booth and his enthusiasm seemed genuine.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I listened... much like you, I came away from the game impressed with Zegura. You can tell the dude knows his stuff in and out and I thought he worked very well with JD. I don't mind the reaction to the kick - guy just acted like anyone else at that moment and then didn't say anything else to step on JD's call. The only real impression I had had of Zegura was from the, roughly, 15 minutes of Cleveland Browns Daily I've listened to since that show began and I wasn't a fan of that but if Sunday was an indication of how he'll be in the gameday booth I'm a fan.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just as York made the field goal Nathan screamed which screwed up a otherwise fine call by Jim Donavan.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I love Rich Eisen.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Saw him on Rich Eisen and thought he did a nice job explaining the elf and representing the team.
He’ll continue to grow into the roll on the radio, but early returns seemed pretty positive.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Nate and his wife = good people.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

The first comment under that Eisen tweet: "All ten listeners will be enlightened". laugh

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I love Rich Eisen.

Really? I can't stand the guy. Not as much as Skip Bayless, but pretty close. I can't even watch the NFL Network's pregame show because Eisen is on it. He's so freaking arrogant and fake.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I love Rich Eisen.

I loved him when he piked for Baker.

Can't stand him now with the way he went on and on about Watson. Now he has cleveland in his cross hairs and his latest was to make fun of the elf. I hate the elf but that's like making fun of someone you love but when someone else does it you don't like it. He's the someone else now.

I don't think he's spent one minute covering Dan Snyder or stating his disgust over that situation. He's a full fledged member of the self righteous mob. Can't stand the guy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I find his style refreshing. I don't always agree with his takes, but that doesn't really matter to me. He gives the impression that he's actually thought about what he's saying, and even sometimes sounds thoughtful. As I mentioned, breath of fresh air.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree with that. And I don't want to dislike him.

I just can't stand self righteousness, especially cherry picked self righteousness. I was actually surprised he became part of the mob for the reasons you stated.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't begrudge anyone who has strong feelings about Watson. Kinda along the same lines, I'm not going to lose sleep over any talking head (or anyone really) who doesn't like the elf. People still comment on the Seahawks jerseys each year.

I'll put it this way... I find it much harder to dislike him than most other popular sports personalities... especially ones that run those types of opinion-based shows. I think he did do an interview with someone and touched on the whole Dan Snyder thing. I don't remember what he said about it, though.

I do sometimes get the feeling that he likes to play the role of contrarian/devil's advocate, which in general I tend to find annoying more often than not.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
He would have been all over Dan Snyder, expressing his disgust and dismay and outrage, if other people were also doing that. And that's kind of my point.

I actually used to listen to him quite a bit. He's an easier listen than a Cowherd or any of the ensemble groups (ESPN is the worst), but I never picked up on the contrarian thing. I liked him for his levelheadedness and demeanor and general vibe of the show. It's fun, and he had fun guests on...some that have nothing to do with football.

But he went off the deep end for me. And I don't begrudge anyone their opinion on Watson either. It's the amount of time and posturing he spent on it that I have a hard time with. It again goes back to the self righteous thing for me. That and passive aggressiveness are two character traits that are big turnoffs for me.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

As long as we don't have the next Dave Lapham on our hands.....

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems what you really are having a hard time with is some people see the sexual assault and sexual mistreatment of women a far more important topic and reason for outrage than others. It's all about one's priorities I suppose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I need to take a look at the clip I found where he talked about Snyder. I'll be honest, I don't listen to any of these guys with much regularity. My exposure is the little youtube snippets that are posted up (Twitter, but for me I usually find them on here).

I guess with any of those "here's my opinion" type of shows, you're going to get a fair amount of the host's personality as part of the material, and it just is what it is. ::shrug::

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It seems what you really are having a hard time with is some people see the sexual assault and sexual mistreatment of women a far more important topic and reason for outrage than others. It's all about one's priorities I suppose.

So is it your stance that Dan Snyder gets a free pass here? What him and others have a hard time with is the picking and choosing of which instance of similar stories get all/no air time.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Nate is a good dude. He is kinda buddies with my son and his wife.

He is genuine. He loves the game and is really a huge fan.

IMO he is great in interviews with coaches and players. He gets the the players to open up. He is knowledgeable.

He is hard working and prepared. A homer - yes but I love that.

I am happy he got the job.

2 members like this: lampdogg, GMdawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

IMO he is great in interviews with coaches and players. He gets the the players to open up. He is knowledgeable.

Well, next time you see him tell him to STOP interrupting Jim Donavan on the radio calls!

F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Originally Posted by bonefish

Well, next time you see him tell him to STOP interrupting Jim Donavan on the radio calls!

Actually, he was talking on CBD shortly after getting the radio analyst gig, and he is aware that he needs to work on not interrupting JD. Nathan interrupts a lot on CBD, but it sounds like he is aware of it and trying to work on not doing it.

F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F

Does every freakin thread have t go this route with you?

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Cleveland Browns daily show, which originates from the Cross Country Mortgage studio at the teams facility in Berea, talks a lot of small talk for about an hour (seems like) before they get into the meat and potatoes of what is going on with the Browns, (at least some times, a lot of times, not every time.) And that small talk includes Golf, which I don't like hearing about as a subject.
It is what it is, it's not that bad, sometimes it's funny banter.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
He does need to work on not interrupting Jim (just based on the few clips I’ve heard on social media) but I’m sure he’ll get better. I definitely can tell how much he cares about the franchise and fans

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
The guy will do fine. It will take time for people to forget Deke...not that he will be fotgotten, but you know what I mean,.

As for talking over Donovan, it seems to me there is a way for the producer or director to kill the "mike" if they needed to go that route. Maybe during this buffer period while Nate gets in to his role on the broadcast.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That is the only way I can see a post from SB. Ignore status.

I will not acknowledge a supporter of alex jones ever.

Legend
Legend
And Dieken had his flaws too lol. The constant groaning and grunting during live action (especially when we weren’t playing well)

Legend
Legend
We all grunt and groan when we get old laugh

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
We all grunt and groan when we get old laugh
I’m beginning to learn this 😂

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Does every freakin thread have t go this route with you?

Pay attention next time. I'm not the one who brought it up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Nathan Zegura radio color commentary

Link Copied to Clipboard