Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
FL_Dawg #1973272 09/23/22 01:51 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I then would have no idea why OL's get ranked on their abilities as a unit in regards to their strengths and weaknesses at accomplishing certain duties. Let's use your rational. If an OL as a unit is ranked badly against the pass rush, why would that be if they could stop the pass rush? And if you can't pressure the QB against an OL that is bad against the pass rush, what does that say about when you face teams that are better against the pass rush? I hope you aren't trying to indicate that we aren't extremely weak on the interior of our DL because I don't think the Browns fit the "not much separation in talent" mantra you seem to be indicating in that department.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1973279 09/23/22 02:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I then would have no idea why OL's get ranked on their abilities as a unit in regards to their strengths and weaknesses at accomplishing certain duties. Let's use your rational. If an OL as a unit is ranked badly against the pass rush, why would that be if they could stop the pass rush? And if you can't pressure the QB against an OL that is bad against the pass rush, what does that say about when you face teams that are better against the pass rush? I hope you aren't trying to indicate that we aren't extremely weak on the interior of our DL because I don't think the Browns fit the "not much separation in talent" mantra you seem to be indicating in that department.

Good grief! I refer to my original statement ... because they know what is coming, becoming predictable, if you cant agree that vs a predictable defense front is easier then playing a pass rush that is unpredictable, then I cannot help you.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1973286 09/23/22 02:31 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
What can not be helped is that we've done much better in seasons past by doing what was "predictable" but not now. They knew what was coming then and couldn't stop it. They know what's coming now and can stop it. I have no idea what part of that is confusing you. It's because we are much weaker on the interior of that DL. People have been explaining this over and over again since before this season started and it seems some didn't get the memo.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1973288 09/23/22 02:36 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What can not be helped is that we've done much better in seasons past by doing what was "predictable" but not now. They knew what was coming then and couldn't stop it. They know what's coming now and can stop it. I have no idea what part of that is confusing you. It's because we are much weaker on the interior of that DL. People have been explaining this over and over again since before this season started and it seems some didn't get the memo.

So that only makes it more plausible to not just rush only 4 DL. You're making my argument for me.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1973290 09/23/22 02:39 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If your argument is that it took until year three of Woods defense for NFL teams to figure out we only rush four, that's not much of an argument.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1973292 09/23/22 02:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If your argument is that it took until year three of Woods defense for NFL teams to figure out we only rush four, that's not much of an argument.

Now you think to put words into my mouth.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
FL_Dawg #1973326 09/23/22 04:29 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, you are better off just ignoring him. Trust me on that one.

FL_Dawg #1973333 09/23/22 04:42 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

The Browns front office/GM are faced with BIG PROBLEM...Woods talked the front office into believing that all he needed was THE RIGHT PERSONNEL to play his defensive schemes.

For two years, the Browns GM/front office set out to tailor their free agent plan and their draft plan to provide Joe Woods with all the tools he said he needed to make HIS DEFENSIVE SCHEMES WORK.

Now the Browns find out that Joe Woods defensive schemes don't work and now the Browns are saddled with undersized LBs who have trouble defending the LOS and who are really nothing more than TWEENERS who are not fast enough or quick enough to cover intermediate pass routes and LBs who lack the strength and bulk to stop the run at the LOS.

Now Woods wants everyone to believe he needs super star DTs to help stop the run to make up for his undersized LBs who can't stop the run.

ENOUGH..!!..the Browns front office/GM have done more than enough to give Joe Woods all the talent he says he needs to make his PIE IN THE SKY DEFENSES WORK..!

The bottom line is, Woods likes to do a lot talking about his dream defenses but he can't show show any evidence that his defensive dreams have produced the results he claims.

The Browns can't afford to give up any more wins..!

Last edited by mac; 09/23/22 04:44 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1973336 09/23/22 04:49 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey mac, we beat the Steelers last night. You haven't made one positive post about the win. Are you grumpy because we won?

Btw---you may want to try researching the 4-2-5 before you go off. While that defense does utilize faster, more agile players who are understandably lighter....the DTs are almost always larger guys who are there to plug up the middle and stop the inside runs. I like our FO, but I am perplexed why they have not brought in a block-eating, run stuffing DT or two yet.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
vers...so how far does the Browns front office/GM keep playing this game where Joe Woods doesn't the talent to play the defensive scheme THAT WOODS DREAMS ABOUT...?

Tell us how the Joe Woods 4-2-5 performs under realistic conditions so far in 2020 and IN THE AFC NORTH...

The truth is, the Browns offense has had to carry Joe Woods defense...JUST THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT MOST PREDICTED in a season when their STAR QB GOT SUSPENDED FOR SEXUAL MISCONDUCT...!

Last edited by mac; 09/23/22 05:28 PM.

Swish #1973348 09/23/22 05:49 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, I am enjoying the year. Sorry you are so miserable.

Swish #1973410 09/24/22 07:28 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is interesting.

Safety John Johnson III says Browns new defensive huddle format helped secure win vs. Steelers

John Dillon
September 23, 2022 6:45 pm ET

A defensive meltdown in Week 3 was enough to have the Cleveland Browns’ coaching staff re-evaluate their gameday strategies ahead of their matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers last night. Communication was becoming an issue, and the team was ready to try anything that might help them avoid another collapse.

As it would turn out a simple adjustment to how play calls are sent in from defensive coordinator Joe Woods to the unit on the field was all they needed to get on the same page. Starting safety John Johnson III told reporters after the game about the new approach and was emphatic in his assertion that it helped with a very specific matchup choice.

“Usually, it is like seven or eight guys, but all 11 were in the huddle,” He explained. “It was a little different because (CB) Denzel (Ward) was traveling with No. 18 (Steelers WR Diontae Johnson) so everyone definitely had to stay in the middle, and it helped out with the play.”

With everybody working in concert, the Browns’ defense was able to limit Pittsburgh to just 17 points, and they even managed to score a touchdown on the final play of the game. Johnson continued his comments by saying he was hopeful the change would stick around, and seemed to imply that the results of the subtle change speak for themselves.

“I think it has to [help],” Johnson said. “I think you have to get the call and communicate. It was sending and receiving. It was a lot better than last week so I think we have to [stick with it.].”

Cleveland will need to build on this win if they want their success to continue through the rest of their rigorous schedule. As they continue to improve, the Browns will continue making waves on both sides of the ball.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

R
Legend
Legend
R
Geez. You should never have communication issues at the professional level. Definitely not to the point that it requires an article. Communication should be basic stuff.

3 members like this: PrplPplEater, FATE, jfanent
Swish #1973432 09/24/22 10:02 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
JC...

John Johnson likes to talk to the media and it seems that he usually has favorable comments about his boss, Joe Woods.

IMO, making a move to assign Ward one responsibility...cover the Steelers #18 man to man did more to simplify defensive pass coverage more than anything. It wasn't like Ward had a great game covering Steelers #18, Diontae Johnson, who was targeted 11 times and caught 8 of those passes for 84 yds.

...BUT, THE HUGE PLUS WAS...that the Steelers #18 was not allowed to beat the Browns with a cheap "blown coverage"...and that was huge plus for the Browns defense and the performance of defensive backfield.

Simplifying the Browns pass coverage and allowing CBs like Ward to do what they do...(cover one on one)...and that goes along way toward repairing what's wrong with Woods pass coverage schemes. It's virtually the same fix the Browns used last season to overcome the defensive pass coverage issues in 2021.

Last edited by mac; 09/24/22 10:03 AM.

mac #1973439 09/24/22 10:28 AM
Legend
Legend
It wasn't like Ward had a great game covering Steelers #18, Diontae Johnson, who was targeted 11 times and caught 8 of those passes for 84 yds.

Holy crap. That's the opposite of "shut down".

BUT, THE HUGE PLUS WAS...that the Steelers #18 was not allowed to beat the Browns with a cheap "blown coverage".

Playing man removes the chance of a blown coverage/missed assignment anyway. Come on Denzel! I hope he's not hurt or something.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Bro, you are better off just ignoring him. Trust me on that one.

Love the campaign you're running. Do you have a super pac?

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
maybe im off base, but IMO i think JJ3 has been a major reason as to why woods has lasted this long. he has a crap ton of responsibilities, but you'd think him having to assist the coaching staff in getting the right calls onto the field wouldn't be one of them.

and imma keep harping this point: woods DB's coach, this is literally what he specializes in. why is the secondary the worst coached unit on the defense?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1973466 09/24/22 01:04 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
maybe im off base, but IMO i think JJ3 has been a major reason as to why woods has lasted this long. he has a crap ton of responsibilities, but you'd think him having to assist the coaching staff in getting the right calls onto the field wouldn't be one of them.

and imma keep harping this point: woods DB's coach, this is literally what he specializes in. why is the secondary the worst coached unit on the defense?

DBs are what he specialized (past tense) in. He's the DC now. Maybe he stepped in more after the first couple weeks, after delegating as a coordinator/HC generally does earlier.

I also think Ward's missed time is a factor. He didn't practice a ton. He spent most of training camp on the PUP list. I don't think Denzel played in the preseason, either. Hopefully the rust is finally knocked off.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Swish #1973471 09/24/22 01:34 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

swish...it is rather obvious what JJ3 is up to when you look at the video of his performance against the Steelers.

Najee Harris embarrassed both of our Safeties on one play...

mac #1973479 09/24/22 02:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yet, the Browns won the game by double digits while holding the Steelers to 17 points. Reading some of these posts makes it seem like we are 0 and 3.

mac #1973480 09/24/22 02:27 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

swish...it is rather obvious what JJ3 is up to when you look at the video of his performance against the Steelers.

Najee Harris embarrassed both of our Safeties on one play...

Harris also didn't crack 60 yards rushing and lost the game. dude is a good RB so of course he's gonna get a highlight or two. but he and the steelers LOST.

how many safeties have been on the wrong end of a nick chubb highlight? JJ3 was in position, but it happens.

the concern is the communication issues on the backend, because that's leading toward busted coverages for huge plays in the passing game, which has already costed us a W and showed up again last night.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: bonefish
Swish #1973495 09/24/22 05:10 PM
Legend
Legend
Sometimes when I read this Board.

I wonder why no joy in Mudville?

The Guardians are going to win a Division with a $57 m payroll against teams that have $150 to $200 m payroll and they can not draw fans.

We are starting a back-up quarterback playing with new receivers. We have a 2-1 record. And lost a game that was 99.9% in the bag.

Yet many want to criticise the coaches, players, and seem to bath in negativity.

What is the deal?

I guess it's me. When we could not win a game and playing 500 ball looked like a fantasy. I watched and hoped for one win.

I watch the games not looking for everything to go bad. Sure I bleed when it does. But I am looking for the win. Some way to pull it off.

I know when we are not the best team. I still believe we can win that game. Because the best team does not always win. I also know that.

The Braves last year won 88 games. They won the World Series beating every team who had a better record.

I got news. The Browns could go to the playoffs. And until they are mathematically eliminated. I will believe it is possible.

I really do not understand those who always look at the we are going suck side of things. I don't get it.

Maybe it protection against disappointment? I don't know. I can not go into watching a game thinking "well here we go again we are going to get beat today."

Eotab is fighting for his life. And yet he posts on this Board with hope for his team. Sure he bitches but when he sees good. He is all over it.

It seems like Board members post with "I want to win an argument attitude." And constantly lay in wait for each other. Snide remarks permeate into threads uncalled for. I find myself doing it. When really I come here to talk football about my home team. The team I have been rooting for since 1960.

I love X's and O's and play breakdowns. I love seeing our good players do good things on the field. Sure I get pissed. Because I want the team to win every game. But no matter what I back the team.

Last edited by bonefish; 09/24/22 05:28 PM.
2 members like this: Ballpeen, Clemdawg
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bone I enjoy reading your posts. I admit I'm not one of the most positive people on this board. I'd like to think of myself as more of a realist. I do go into every game hoping for the best but I prepare myself for disappointment. Watching what happened in that Jets game was horrible. Stuff like that just doesn't happen but it does to usand who was the last team to do it 21 years and 2229 times ago; us. That's why most of us have the attitude we do.

Legend
Legend
I was born in Willowick 1947. Moved away at three and came back at 12 in 1960.

I got a Plain Dealer paper route. 7/24/365 I read the Plain Dealer sports page about my teams. About how teams prepared to stop Jim Brown.

I have seen every single rotten things that has happened.

I know the score. I know football and baseball. I played. Coached. And pay attention to minute detail.

I follow my teams all year. Believe me when we had Cody Kessler as our starting quarterback. I for sure knew what that season would look like.

I still think you can find something to cheer for.

Legend
Legend
Thanks Homewood. i am glad you enjoy my posts.

A little story that you may enjoy. Once when I was like 19. I was working in a factory(for school money). I heard about a 175 pound limit industrial football league. So I helped organize a team to play in that league.

The first game I was playing quarterback. A bunch of lightweight guys like me were playing against grown ass men who had been in the league.

On the first play the center got hit so hard it cause a fumble. I went to get the ball a got my hand stepped on. Broke two fingers on my left hand.

Every cell in my body was telling me to get off that field before I got killed. All I could think of was I wanted to score at least one touchdown. We got beat
48-0.

I have never given in to failure. I can not. I just can not.

When the Browns lost on the "Fumble." It crushed me. I mean I went dark for weeks. I swore I would never let a sport affect me like that again.

That was a long time ago. I am still here hoping. I have seen way worse than 2022 Browns.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt sticking with the initial huddle call is going to be the safest. You are at least going to have people in position to make a play, even if yardage is gained.

It is easy for things to go wrong if you are trying to check in to a different coverage to counter what the O might be doing when they start changing formations. You might want to be able to do that, but if your guys seem to fail to be able to do that, don't do it. You can't just give up free touchdowns.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1973557 09/25/22 09:55 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Don't Fire Joe Woods.
Who would be the replacement?
Callie Bronson?
Chuck-ee Jon Gruden?
or Keep Joe Woods?

Acting like they are 0-3, because they should be 0-3 by how they are playing. (blown lead, needing an onside kick recovery twice, needing a 58 yard FG), Either way, starting a new theory
Throw the records out every 3rd game, ...
the Browns are starting a new season
Facing Atlanta in the opener: TRAP GAME
then the Chargers
then the Patriots
0-0 and now the injuries are happening.

Don't fire Joe Woods.
Really?
Before the first game of a new 3 game stretch?
(living in an alternate reality since I982)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Translation:

The defense was either completely over-complicated or the players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing in each of the checks.
That's pretty sad when it's Year 3 of this defense for the coach AND the vast majority of the players, particularly the defensive backfield.

They should all know this stuff by now. Professionals would.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sports is an emotional roller coaster ride for a lot of people. They don't look at things with perspective. And that works both ways. The Browns have been playing bottom feeder teams. So many people keep that in mind. It's part of their evaluation. Many will either be on an emotional high or a downward spiral based on a single game. It's the nature of the beast. Some will take something totally negative and dig out some positive no matter what.

I agree with you to the extent that calling for Woods or Stefanski to be fired over a couple of games at the beginning of the season is preposterous. But at the same time I get it. I expect it. We are older people and over the course of our life I think we've come to the point we look at things more on a long term basis. We aren't as prone to allowing our emotions on a single game or two cause us to walk off the ledge.

We all saw the D start out slow last season but become a very strong unit. If the Steelers game is any indication we could see a total repeat of that. And the O is playing beyond my wildest dreams. The schedule is going to be getting a lot tougher so we'll have to wait and see how the Browns rise of fall to that challenge. But much like yourself, I have no idea why people would be all doom and gloom right now.

I have one caveat however. The team still has some weaknesses. The interior of the DL is very questionable. Outside of Cooper and Njoku, do we have any real pass catching threats? I think outside of those two it's very questionable. So there are some legitimate questions that I think fans have that they aren't off base in addressing. If nobody addressed the issues the Browns do have, it would be nothing more than singing Kumbatya and a giant sausage fest.

naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Players will get beat. It is part of the game on both sides of the ball.

Blown coverages happen on occasion. They should be a rarity because it should be a player mistake.

But when a entire secondary is singing communication error. That is wrong. That should be cleaned up in pre-season.

12 men on the field in special teams. That should never happen. I have never seen a team that did not have a guy counting heads.

These are things that must be cleaned up.

I believe in both schemes. I also believe in continuity. Coaches should have a long leash. If they learn and correct issues and mistakes are not repeated.

A staff should grow and learn together. However, it should become clear when changes are required.

I hope are coaches do not deserve to be fired and they just get better at their jobs.

Legend
Legend
Communication and discipline (counting players) are basics and should be part of everyday life starting in mini camps. They are not things that just get added in later after you've worked on other things, they are what you begin with. They're literally foundational. They are things that just should simply already exist, especially at this level and with as many years as they've been together. Sadly, these are not new issues. If memory serves, we had several 12-men penalties last year, and the year before. They're nearly common; they're definitely not uncommon.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Translation:

The defense was either completely over-complicated or the players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing in each of the checks.
That's pretty sad when it's Year 3 of this defense for the coach AND the vast majority of the players, particularly the defensive backfield.

It appears that it took a players only meeting to initiate a change.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1973596 09/25/22 12:04 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed on the last 2 posts. Sounds like Joe Woods coaching techniques has some Termites!!!

Legend
Legend
If I remember correctly it happened twice on the same play last year.

12 on the field. Then it was either a time out or after the penalty they came back out and still had 12 on the field.

I think that happened?

You are right it should be a regular practice.

Felton back on punts was always bad. He was a mistake in waiting.

When the 12 penalty happened there was the camera was on Stefanski. He was not happy. It will be topic.

It must be fixed

Swish #1973795 09/26/22 11:01 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
With or without Woods as our DC our Defense will have the same communication problems they have now. Also we just don't have the talent. Diam taught me that a long time ago. In the NFL you need TALENT!!! Its a shame we don't have 3 years of 1st round picks in the draft to get that talent. What did we get a 3rd rounder and a 7th rounder to play DE for us as backups. So there we were without Clowney and Garrett sacrificing himself to play hurt so his game was not there do you really expect our late round rookie players to carry the load...lol

Delpit has amazing talent but he doesn't seem to be that guy to learn and play a different defense then he did in College. Quite frankly we got to stop drafting kids from LSU. There is a reason they got all that talent and are not in the hunt for a college championship. Alabama players yes, Ohio State pllayers yes...but stop drafting LSU players sure they are a steal for their talent but in reality they suck and are available for a reason!

jmho just say no to LSU!!! thank you very much

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1973801 09/26/22 11:20 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Watching the Browns defense and focusing on the physical nature of the Browns play vs the other teams in our division...I have concerns about the Browns D holding up PHYSICALLY, as the season progresses..!

Said another way, IMO, the Browns defense is not built to dominate physically and that might become more of a factor as the season progresses.

Injuries, poor execution, extended plays because players fail to make an expected play. I hope our defensive execution concerning basics such as tackling, improves as the season progresses...but I am concerned.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Playing man was the right decision last night. After reading a suggestion from Bull to play man against the Steelers in the Matchup thread, I posted some stats how much more Trubiski struggles against man than he does against zone. Coverages need to be mixed up. Playing straight man coverage each week would lead to teams getting killed.

I might be off in my assessment, but this has been a historical knock that I have on Woods. I feel like he force-fits things into zones too often without much variance. I'm not sure about Newsome, but I always thought that Ward and Greedy's biggest strengths were their man-coverage abilities. I was glad to see him call more of a man-scheme against the Steelers. It seems to have obviously worked better with far less breakdowns.

Still gotta fix that pass-rush, though. Not sure what to do. I don't feel like he has been helping out Garrett much this year, though. I know it's been harder for him with Clowney out, but I hate when we put Garrett in the interior. It also seems pretty obvious that teams are putting 2-3 guys on Garrett on most passing downs. Would be nice to have an occasionally timed blitz (hell, blitz Delpit because his coverage stinks) so that the OL can't consistently zero in on Garrett from the snap onset.

JMHO.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, I think that a lot of fans have a false understanding of coverages in the NFL, just like they do w/the OL/QB relationship when it comes to sacks. Check out this article on Coverages. Note that the team w/the highest percentage of Cover 1 [Man] was still less than 50%. The article is from 2017 and I believe the use of zone has only increased since then.

Also, I think that moving Myles around is a good idea. I thought we kept him at RDE way too much last week. Moving him around changes blocking schemes and it frees up other guys.

Anyway, here is the article. I would love to further the conversation if you--or anyone who likes to talk football rather than board personalities] wants to discuss it.

One last thing. It's better to click on the link so you can see the charts.

Taking a closer look: Examining the NFL's coverage scheme tendencies

SEATTLE, WA - DECEMBER 15: Cornerback Richard Sherman #25 of the Seattle Seahawks almost intercepts a pass by the Los Angeles Rams at CenturyLink Field on December 15, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

By Sam Monson
Jul 20, 2017
As always in the NFL, there are many different ways to climb a tree, and how teams defend the pass can vary wildly from scheme to scheme. We know that very broadly some teams run predominantly man coverage while others favor more zone, but diving even deeper into those broad buckets can show us some interesting trends about how each team plays defense.

ACROSS THE NFL
The league is overall a zone-heavy league. All 32 teams combined to run zone coverage on 59.0 percent of snaps with just 34.9 percent man coverage (the remaining 6.1 percent falling into a miscellaneous category including prevent, red zone, and goal line defenses which can contain elements of both and don’t sit accurately in a typical coverage shell).

The most commonly used coverage shell in 2016 was Cover-1, with teams running that version of man coverage or ‘man-free’ on 28.5 percent of snaps last season. Only one other coverage shell was over the 25 percent barrier, and only two other coverages were used on more than ten percent of coverage snaps.

The least used of the broad bucket coverages was, rather predictably, Cover-0. While man coverage is certainly heavily used, teams rarely do so without a safety net of that deep-lying free safety, and attacked with no plan-B on just 2.3 percent of coverage snaps, which still means that teams ran this hyper-aggressive, hyper-risky coverage 481 times last season combined.

No team in 2016 ran man coverage on more than 50.0 percent of their snaps, but a few came close. The Tennessee Titans ran more man coverage than anybody else – on 49.6 percent of their snaps, with the Kansas City Chiefs not far behind on 48.9 percent. The Chiefs were wildly more successful with that coverage given a far superior cast of coverage defenders tasked with executing it, and the Titans asking so much of such a limited group of defensive backs was one of the main reasons for some of their struggles against the pass last season.

Those two teams also represent the only two teams in the league that ran more man coverage than zone coverage once the various miscellaneous coverages are taken out of the equation. The Chiefs actually ran man coverage 6.5 percent more than they ran zone overall.

The New York Giants were the league’s most aggressive team in terms of running man coverage without a safety net, deploying Cover-0 on 5.4 percent of their coverage snaps, or 38 times over the course of the year. Only three teams (the Broncos at 32 and Saints at 34) ran Cover-0 more than 30 times last year and four sides ran it just once each.

While no team ran more than 50.0 percent of their snaps in man coverage, many teams were far more zone-happy than that. The Carolina Panthers led the way, with almost eighty percent (79.9) of their snaps coming in zone coverage of some variety or other. They ran just 12.3 percent of their snaps in man coverage, and lined up in Cover-3 alone 237 times over the course of the year.

The Pittsburgh Steelers (75.2) and Cincinnati Bengals (72.2) were the only other two teams to play more than 70.0 percent of their snaps in zone coverage, while even the man-coverage champion Titans still ran zone coverage 45.7 percent of the time.

The staple man coverage shell, Cover-1 effectively puts every coverage defender on an island except for the deep-lying free safety, who is there as a safety net to the whole operation should somebody blow their assignment or get badly beat. Nobody used Cover-1 more than the Houston Texans, who ran it on 43.4 percent of their coverage snaps, but the Texans were significantly less likely to remove that free safety and try to generate pressure on top of the man coverage, and virtually never ran man coverage with two high safeties, so ran less man coverage overall than some other teams. The Arizona Cardinals (42.2) and Kansas City (40.6) were the other two teams to run Cover-1 on more than 40 percent of their snaps.

What was once the league’s biggest trend in coverage, the staple of Super Bowl sides like the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was used on just 12.4 percent of snaps league wide last season. The Steelers led the league in time spent in Cover-2, with 26.7 percent of their snaps, but only they and the Saints (25.2) deployed that coverage on more than a quarter of their snaps. The Chiefs ran Cover-2 on just 2.3 percent of their snaps, and five NFL teams deployed this coverage shell on less than three percent of their coverage snaps.

It won’t surprise anybody to see that the Seattle Seahawks led the league in snaps in a Cover-3 defense, at least from a percentage standpoint. Seattle ran Cover-3 on 54.0 percent of their snaps, with members of that coaching tree taking the system to Atlanta (51.5) and Jacksonville (46.4) making up the rest of the top three. The Falcons actually ran 45 more snaps overall in Cover-3 than the Seahawks, but that represents a lower percentage of their total snaps on defense last year. Cover-3 was the second-most common coverage deployed league-wide last season.

Cover-4 or ‘quarters’ coverage has become much more common over the years, with NFL teams deploying it on 9.1 percent of their snaps as a group in 2016, but it actually lagged behind Cover-6, which was used on 9.6 percent of the time. Both of these coverages feature two deep safeties, but Cover-6 splits the field in half and shows a Cover-2 look to one side of the field and Cover-4 to the other. Both coverages use plenty of matchup principles to combat modern NFL route concepts and plays. While a team like the Seahawks barely used these coverages (1.9 percent combined), the Carolina Panthers were running one or other of them on a third of their defensive snaps, and the Oakland Raiders even more at 34.4 percent.

11 NFL teams used one or other of these coverages on more than a quarter of their defensive snaps in 2016.

Other Notes:

The Bucs were extremely quick to jump to bespoke red zone coverages, running some variety of non-standard red zone coverage shell on 7.4 percent of their overall snaps.
The Texans ran more goal line defense than anybody, with six snaps of goal line coverages, one more than Detroit.
The Dallas Cowboys ran prevent defense 15 times in 2015, four more than any other team, while eight sides only deployed a true prevent once all season.
While the Seahawks are seen as strictly a Cover-3 defense, they ran man coverage 36.5 percent of the time, and had plenty of snaps in which Richard Sherman saw man assignments mixed into overall zone coverage shells.
No team faced more pass plays than the Falcons during the regular season, with 752 snaps against the pass. Buffalo at 611 faced the fewest.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-taking-a-closer-look-examining-the-nfls-coverage-scheme-tendencies

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow, that article is pretty eye-opening. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what our stats would be by comparison. I know with the shift to the 4-2-5 that a lot of teams are using would seemingly increase the usage of zone coverage, correct? Especially the usage of Cover-3? I'd like to revisit those broken plays we had and see what kind of coverage we were in.

I also don't mind moving Myles around on the line if it's RDE or LDE. I just really don't like it when he's at 3-tech. I feel like he just gets immediately swallowed up. I also could be wrong, but whoever the DE he has next to him in those situations doesn't seem to command the respect to take more than one blocker. I also imagine the NT in those situations probably doesn't have much of a pass rush skillset. Maybe it's a personnel issue. Have we run any blitz scenarios where Myles is at 3T and is assigned the A gap, DE goes around and we send a delayed blitz to the B gap? That would either leave a free blitzer or Myles 1-1 with the center. That I could be on board with, but I'm also not a qualified DC, lol.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fire Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard