Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
DAMN bro. Hopefully the antibiotics knock that out in a hurry!

Got bit by a bug in 2012 and got cellulitis. That night I could barely walk... pain shooting through my entire lower leg. Went to the doc on a cruise ship and they gave me antibiotics that were too week.

Two days later, during the drive home, it started swelling and wouldn't stop. By the time I made it to an urgent care my lower leg was nearly double the size. I described the pain as "burning ice picks stabbed into my leg bone".

Their antibiotics weren't working at all. That night -- hallucinating fever -- resigned to the fact that I was going to die from a bug bite on a cruise ship, no b.s. Went to the ER and got Cipro and x-rayed for blood clots as part of my leg was looking pretty shady.

That crap scared me to death.

I got it again a couple years later, doc said I have a higher risk of getting it again... and again.

"I'm going to prescribe amoxicil..."
"Oh, NO, you're going to prescribe Cipro!"

I ain't tryin' to play doctor, and I know you've got more going on as you just had surgery, but "red and burning" doesn't sound right after this time span. I'm glad you're getting some eyeballs on it tomorrow.

Be strong ~ stay strong. I know we're ALL pulling for you, and a quick recovery on all fronts.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
3 members like this: 3rd_and_20, oobernoober, Versatile Dog
FATE #1954423 06/30/22 05:25 PM
jfanent Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Wow, that must have sucked. Glad you got thru that. As far as mine goes, the docs are on it. When I went to the ER on Sunday, they gave me a shot of Rocephin (IM antibiotic) and started me on Keflex 4x day. I got into the doc on Monday and they switched it to Omnicef, which is a stronger, broad spectrum antibiotic, as well as tizanidine, a muscle relaxant that takes the sting out of the cellulitis pain. I had my doubts, but it definitely works. They also did an ultrasound to check for clots. I feel pretty good and I'm not in horrible pain or anything like that. It's like a red stripe down the front of my lower leg and the leg and foot have some swelling. They told me to call if it gets worse and to follow up on Friday.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: FATE, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Hope everybody gets healthy. Prayers for all the docs and Dawgs. Getting the heavy duty treatment. We are all pulling for you.
Be strong!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man....scary stuff! Get better soon....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by mac
jfan...hope all is going well and hopefully the swelling and pain levels have subsided a bit..?

Any updates..

Thanks. Things were going really well until day 6, Saturday morning.....I have a bad case of cellulitis going down my shin from just below the incision to the top of my foot, with quite a bit of swelling. I called the doc and went to the ER Sunday morning when it looked like it was getting worse. It burns and hurts worse than anything that the surgery could dish out. I was doing the exercises religiously and had 2 PT sessions until this kicked in. I'm on some antibiotics and some meds to control the burning pain from the cellulitis, and I'm getting up and walking once an hour and stretchching to keep the ROM I've gained. It's still red and burning, and I have a follow up tomorrow morning. Other than the cellulitis, the knee pain isn't really bad, I don't need any assistance to walk. I never really needed the walker or cane, even on the first day. I can fully straigten the knee and and can easily get it past 90 degrees once it loosens up. Between the cellulitis, swelling and residual bruising, it's not a pretty sight though. I just want to get thru this and get to the serious recovery training.

Wow. I missed this thread. Sorry to here about this Jfan. Hopefully you are on the mend. I know someone else who got cellulitis. It's no joke. Take care of yourself

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Checking in to see how you're feeling. Back on track with the rehab?

FATE #1955768 07/07/22 05:06 PM
jfanent Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Thanks. The cellulitis is gone and I'm back on the full PT/rehab program. Had my f/u appointment and Xrays yesterday, and the doc said everything is looking good. It felt great to get that Zipline removed. (it's a less invasive method to seal the wound in lieu of sutures). I still have some swelling and bruising, but he said it's nothing to worry about. I got the OK to drive, which I wasn't expecting but I'm thrilled. I'm walking fairly normally, going up and down stairs and whatnot. It still stiffens up when sitting for a while, but it feels pretty good once it loosens up. My current assisted ROM is 110 degrees, and the end goal is 120-125 to do just about everything I could before the knee became an issue. According to the therapist, I'm ahead of the game. I've been mostly off the pain meds (Percocet) since the weekend, but I did take one Tuesday after PT.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
7 members like this: mac, oobernoober, PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
That sounds like about the best news we could possibly hear!

Keep up the great work in rehab, my friend!

1 member likes this: jfanent
B
Legend
Legend
B
Glad to hear, Bubba.

Glad to hear you can drive again and it brought a thrill.

Did you feel like a 16 year old that first time you pulled the old family station wagon out of the drive the first time, Mom and Dad standing in the drive, waving, yelling to be careful, only this time it was your kids standing there? LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Good to hear that you are recovering.

Fate, damn that is scary. At least at this point you know about it. Maybe that will help in responding asap to get it early.

I have gotten to that stage where at the end of each day I sit and watch the sunset. It is a reminder to be thankful for everyday.

1 member likes this: FATE
jfanent Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Just wanted to check back into this thread and say that if any of you are putting off having a knee replacement, don't. I waited almost 2 years and it now feels that those were 2 years of my precious life wasted. I'm back to doing things I haven't been able to do for quite some time. I can do 10+ miles on my bike (I pushed it a little too much early on and had about a week of pain and swelling). I'm hoping to be back to the long rides by spring. I can walk all day and do yardwork and fairly heavy lifting, I even climbed a ladder to clear out a clogged gutter. I didn't realize it, but there were a lot of things I let go because of the knee.....like clearing things out of the basement, hanging a storm door, cleaning out the shed, etc. I'm getting it done now. About the only thing I have trouble with is putting a sock on that foot. I'm not so sure if it's the knee learning to twist enough or if it's the pot belly I put on over the last couple years because of the inactivity. Either way, it will be fixed. I do have pain is when I forget to straighten out my foot when I get up or get out of a vehicle, but I don't do it that often.

Get the surgery if you need it.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
4 members like this: GMdawg, Versatile Dog, 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
Glad you're able to do the things you missed out on. It's wonderful the results of your surgery worked out so well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Great news!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Knee replacement

Link Copied to Clipboard