Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Homewood Dog #1975731 10/03/22 05:17 AM
Legend
Legend
I think we’ll squeeze out a win or two, but as soon as Watson was suspended beyond 4 games (imagine if his suspension woulda been over right now) our season was basically over. The NFL made sure we wouldn’t be relevant down the stretch this year. That was our own doing when we signed Watson.

But I still think we SHOULD have won the two games we lost this year so far, which is a bad feeling.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1975735 10/03/22 06:43 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Stefanski has got to give up play calling. He is killing us with unnecessary, failed razzle dazzle. Joe Woods has been terrible, but last year, the defense came together down the stretch. Maybe that will happen again. If not, get Sean Payton for next year.

Swish #1975737 10/03/22 07:13 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Stefanski is a good diplomat and a decent organizer but as a play caller and football coach he's not even close to being elite.

Our disciplinary record is still mediocre.
When it matters the most we're still doing unnecessary and stupid mistakes.
His play calling is too often inconsistent and flat out confusing.

He's brave with his decisions when the sensible option is to be conservative and the opposite. It's difficult to find any logic.

Parting with Baker was long term the right thing to do but the way he handled it was clumsy. Against the Steelers (2021) he allowed Baker to get sacked 8-9 times, that's unforgivable if he label himself as a player friendly coach.

I don't think he will last long if this continues. .

Swish #1975745 10/03/22 08:28 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

Stefanski is good at getting guys open and having shifts/multiple formations/sets/etc

Stefanski is NOT good at calling plays AT TIMES … in other words, it seems like he gets too cute or gets away from our identity

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1975746 10/03/22 08:31 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

Stefanski is good at getting guys open and having shifts/multiple formations/sets/etc

Stefanski is NOT good at calling plays AT TIMES … in other words, it seems like he gets too cute or gets away from our identity

Floquinho #1975747 10/03/22 08:43 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Floquinho
Parting with Baker was long term the right thing to do but the way he handled it was clumsy. Against the Steelers (2021) he allowed Baker to get sacked 8-9 times, that's unforgivable if he label himself as a player friendly coach.

Baker allowed Baker to get sacked 9 times against the Steelers.

Swish #1975752 10/03/22 08:57 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay.......I couldn't read all the posts. I knew it would be bad, but the blame game of fans on message boards and talk radio are so freaking bad. Here are my thoughts that probably no one wants to read. LOL

--This was a really devastating loss regarding our playoff hopes. It's a game you should win if you want to be in contention, especially given the upcoming schedule.

--I don't think Stefanski was terrible. I agreed w/passing on the FG. It's like people love analytics in theory and then hate them in practice. I thought Stefanski made one bad decision that stood out. We were down by the goal line and we ran Chubb. He was stopped and fumbled. Forward progress was the call and we kept the ball. Should have run JB on the sneak there. He's great at it.

--JB played very well in the first half. Not very good in the second half. The interception to end the game was a really bad decision. We had two plays to get the first down. Can't force it there. One thing I noticed is that he does not throw as well when moving to his left. It does seem a little weird seeing all the negative comments after years of seeing nothing but excuses for the QB play. I have one more negative on JB. We had a play very early in the second half where he threw a long out route to DPJ. The pass was fine, but it came a beat to late. Gotta pull the trigger earlier.

--The OL did not have one of their better days. They were not opening as many holes as usual in the running game. We got stuffed too many times on early downs which forced us to pass more than we wanted to. They also gave up more pressures than usual. They did have some very good moments. They sure did not lose the game. Thank God we don't have to listen to that excuse any longer.

--DPJ made some nice catches. But, we don't have a ton of talent at WR if teams take Cooper away. Njoku's fumble was costly.

--Chubb and Hunt were their usual great selves.

--Our 4 starters out on D was significant.

--The DL played well against the run at times and got gashed at times. Weird.

--Our LBers are not good. JOK is a good athlete, but guys break tackles on him. None of our LBers are good against the pass. Their depth of their drops are too shallow.

--The secondary wasn't too bad. Yes, we had another blown coverage, but ALL teams do.

--The place kicker and punter were good. Ford made a really dumb decision take one out of the end zone. He does that too much. They benched him after that. Glad DPJ was back there instead of Felton.

--Final Thought: We could have very well won this game. We didn't. I gotta give ATL some credit. They beat us at times at our own game. They won in the trenches more than we did. That surprised me and it was the key to the game.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 10/03/22 09:10 AM. Reason: Added a negative on JB
boofers20 #1975755 10/03/22 09:03 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by boofers20
I'm not a smart man, but I do know that 3pts KS passed up in the 1st qtr would've been helpful

Yes. If it were 4th and 1, that's one thing. But 4th and 3 from the 4? On the road, take the points.

The D really needs to look at themselves in the mirror. Another (really) blown coverage. But what is worse is how Atlanta was able to run at will during that stretch in the 2nd half. We're the team who is supposed to be able to impose our will in the 2nd half. They rammed it down our throats, and kicked us in the nads. We knew it was coming and couldn't stop it.

On the plus side, Pitts was not much of a factor. Good TEs have killed us many a time.

I take little solace in the fact that PIT and BAL also lost.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Swish #1975760 10/03/22 09:43 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I also am on the going for it on the first drive. I agreed with all the others, but to me you need to score points, and scoring first in a game is important.

Had we been down at the time, I might agree with going for it, but being a 0-0 game, take the 3, which as it works out was 3 we needed.

I haven't looked, but I would be shocked if analytics doesn't show that the team who scores first wins the most games. I get going for it from a percentage standpoint and have long said teams should go for it more often, but I also feel that scoring first is a big boost. When you have a chance to score 1st in a game, take the points. That should be a black letter law in the head coach's handbook.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1975761 10/03/22 09:54 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Rishuz #1975763 10/03/22 10:13 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by Floquinho

Baker allowed Baker to get sacked 9 times against the Steelers.
LOL. Baker is playing worse in Carolina than he did as an injured QB in Cleveland. And you and others still want to twist the knife - and I saw the other day you wrote how you didn't want to stop commenting on Baker because you think getting a reaction to your posts is so funny.... In all honesty that says a lot about you and no-one else. As for the Steelers game and his 9 sacks - Baker did let himself get sacked 9 times. And it probably had nothing to do with TJ Watt being schemed 1 on 1 with our 3rd string rookie RT.

Regards the CLE ATL game - I tend to agree this game and loss is less about Joe Woods and more about the multiple challenges we're facing with a back up QB who came back to his level a little, multiple players missing on D, some questionable decisions during the game. One general comment - I've seen multiple posts lamenting going for it on 4th and 3 instead of taking points... And I know more than one poster will respond that going for it on 4th and short is the right call based on analytics / stats. [1] 4th and 1 and being able to get a first with a QB sneak is one thing. 4th and 3 is a different situation. [2] the Analytics only works when your team at least gets a first down at the same rate as the NFL average - if you are failing more than the average, maybe you need to re-asses and I think all of us have seen more times when we missed points when going for it than when we got a TD out of going for it on 4th and short within FG range. And maybe that's not the case, maybe we remember the misses more than the successes? But the principle holds that *IF* we are not successful at the NFL average rate, then all the analytics means squat.

For the last 20+ years it seems we've played up to good competition and often under achieved to 'weak' opposition ... hoping we find a way to bounce back with a W next week when the opposition is definitely much better than ATL.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1975764 10/03/22 10:15 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm good with whatever you think.

Ballpeen #1975791 10/03/22 11:20 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I just got done watching the game for a second time but this time with the opportunity to slow motion and review each play.

In short, it was a game that the Browns should have won ...the offense played well enough to win the game...the defense DID NOT..!

The Browns defense is plagued with poor coaching that begins with a lack of attention toward teaching "basic defensive skills". There seems to be a lack of emphasis on defensive basics that come back to bite the Browns nearly every week.

Honestly, I have a difficult time believing that Stefanski puts up with a defensive coaching staff that refuses to emphasize the very football principals that Stefanski appears to demand out of his offensive players.

IMO, the entire team earned THIS LOSS...defensive and offensive coaches as well as those players who DID NOT show up and give their best effort for this game.

JMO, but some on this coaching staff seem to think they are invincible...as if they have no responsibility for the performance of the players they coach.

I seriously doubt that Stefanski or the folks he works for, accept a losing effort from anyone on this coaching staff.

Last edited by mac; 10/03/22 11:26 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
They certainly beat us at our own game. Their second half

Dawgs4Life #1975795 10/03/22 11:42 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Groan.

Milk Man #1975798 10/03/22 11:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Damn. That pill's tough to swallow.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Swish #1975803 10/03/22 12:20 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Regarding going for it on fourth down as compared to analytics. Analytics is a funny animal and how you use it depends on how you apply it. You can, as it appears the Browns do, use the statistics for going for it in fourth down instead of kicking the FG according to the overall success rate in the NFL. And that's fine if that's the way you choose to approach it. Or you could apply it depending on your teams success rate. On how going for it on fourth and short has worked for your team. If that were the case Stefanski would have taken the FG in the first quarter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: ThomasE
Milk Man #1975810 10/03/22 12:42 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Groan.

Milk Man #1975812 10/03/22 12:45 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Taking accountability even though I don't think the failure of execution was his fault.

Swish #1975820 10/03/22 02:02 PM
Legend
Legend
When I saw that play live I knew it was a TD .. that sucks

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Taking accountability even though I don't think the failure of execution was his fault.

I’m not specifically debating against you Vers but in general from my perspective Stefanski’s accountability is more words then actions.

He talk the talk but so far nothing has changed. We saw these problems both in 2020 and 2021. There’s a pattern in his bad decision making and that is that nothing happen. It’s not only about what he do but maybe more about what he don’t do.

Play calling isn’t always about taking the right decisions and has the best set up or scheme. It’s also about trust and loyalty. Trusting the process, trusting command and being loyal to your boss decision. I don’t always see that. Recently Denzel and Myles gives strange comments that doesn’t sound like a team in harmony. Before them it was OBJ, Jarvis and Baker. Star players voicing concerns in a subtle way?

I’m not totally dismiss Kevin’s contributions to our results but I can’t say I’m directly impressed. With so much talents to his disposal anything less then some sort of success would be a huge disappointment. Both KS and AB needs to deliver before it’s to late. Our owners isn’t exactly famous for their patience.

Last edited by Floquinho; 10/03/22 02:54 PM.
Swish #1975838 10/03/22 03:24 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't think Ski is the problem. JB has done a great job, but he isn't dynamic and can't make all the throws. I expect things to change once DW can play.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #1975840 10/03/22 03:27 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I don't think Ski is the problem. JB has done a great job, but he isn't dynamic and can't make all the throws. I expect things to change once DW can play.

the problem is that it doesn't matter who the QB is or how many points the O scores. the dysfunction of the defense seems to scale with the offensive output.

so DW could throw 5 TDs, and the defense is gonna go out of its way to allow the opposing offense to score 5 + a FG

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1975847 10/03/22 03:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by EveDawg

the problem is that it doesn't matter who the QB is or how many points the O scores. the dysfunction of the defense seems to scale with the offensive output.

so DW could throw 5 TDs, and the defense is gonna go out of its way to allow the opposing offense to score 5 + a FG

^This.^

And we've been watching it in earnest since Woods took the reins. "Eye test" says his gameday algorithm is broken. Even games we win -- no lead is ever safe. Only exception I can even think of is last years Bears game... and that was Fields running for his life, with no weapons, while Myles stacked up sack after sack.

FATE #1975865 10/03/22 04:38 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Here's the bottom line -

Stefanski is an average coach with an average staff. Some of his staff are above average (Callahan) and some are below average (Woods)

I said two things needed to happen for the Browns to have a shot this year -

1. Defense had to be top 5.
2. Stefanski had to clearly be the better coach than the guy opposite of him.

Neither has happened. And the Browns are 2-2, and nearly 1-3, as a result...and against the easiest schedule in the league to date.

We have an average head coach who you have to hope will get better with Watson.

As for this season, it's pretty much toast.

FATE #1975866 10/03/22 04:39 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Joe Woods is a problem and it's going to really show and be prevalent in these next 6-7 weeks. It's going to get ugly.

Swish #1975868 10/03/22 04:41 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
How in God's name do you guys think you know more than our coaches? Seriously. Most of you never even played, never mind coached. Ridiculous.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I know you should never lose up 13 with 1:30 to go and the opposition has no timeouts left.

You get an "average" label automatically after that.

Legend
Legend
How in God's name do you guys think you know more than our coaches? Seriously. Most of you never even played, never mind coached. Ridiculous.

If I say a McDonalds cheeseburger tastes bad, does it mean I'm saying I know more about cooking? No? Didn't think so...

Swish #1975900 10/03/22 06:45 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
KS and his "staff" are wasting the prime years of our best players (Chubb, Garrett, Bitonio, etc.) I hate to admit this but I kinda admire Tomlin's old school approach to coaching, lets his coordinators call the plays and overrules them when necessary (maybe? possibly?)
I kinda with that Tony Dungy would reconsider retirement and coach this team, I think his leadership skills would be perfect for us.

FATE #1975912 10/03/22 07:10 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

If I say a McDonalds cheeseburger tastes bad, does it mean I'm saying I know more about cooking? No? Didn't think so...

rofl just accept that you too Stoopid to understand. You either dumb, absurd or ridiculous ! Certainly your posts should come with a warning to tell other posters not to pay attention to your opinion !

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Swish #1975913 10/03/22 07:25 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Anyone know why 888 is posting on the Post Game thread in a game he didn't even watch? I'm guessing it was an attack on another poster who actually watched the game and I think I know the target. I received a text message the other day telling me how the guy insults me multiple times a day. . What kind of person does that? I wish I could put a restraining order on him. It's creepy as can be.

Swish #1975915 10/03/22 07:30 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Someone tell Vers he doesn't know what the f* he's talking about. I watched the game .... But then I guess don't say anything coz y'all let him talk chit all the time without ever addressing him.

As Pit has mentioned many times, Vers claims to have many posters on ignore but bad mouths those same posters constantly. All class.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You received a TEXT message from someone, telling you 888 insults you multiple times a day? Who "texted" you?

But, go on about Baker. Sorry man, you come across as a joke. If people don't agree with you, you attack. You and pit deserve each other - just take it to pm's, please. And yeah, you say you have me on ignore (since I don't agree with you at times?) I guarantee you read what I post.

archbolddawg #1975923 10/03/22 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe ignoring only works when you're logged in

If you read the board not logged in, well ya see what people are saying.

Football talk, I felt there was some good offensive blocking !

Not as in

Dawgtalkers blocking !

smile

Swish #1975925 10/03/22 08:23 PM
Legend
Legend
"Ignoring" also has a button to toggle and view the post. Evidence is right above where Vers magically knew what maga888 was talking about but acted like it was a "guess" based on texts he received over the weekend. Either that or he insulted a poster based on a post he didn't even see. Actually, I guess either is very possible.

FATE #1975927 10/03/22 08:30 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Nah............he saw it. He read it. He can say he has someone on ignore, but all you have to do is click on it. Then you see it, you read it, and then you reply with "I have so and so on ignore, but I bet they said.................."

I won't even go into the mentality of someone like that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Anyone know why 888 is posting on the Post Game thread in a game he didn't even watch? I'm guessing it was an attack on another poster who actually watched the game and I think I know the target. I received a text message the other day telling me how the guy insults me multiple times a day. . What kind of person does that? I wish I could put a restraining order on him. It's creepy as can be.

You want a restraining order put on a guy who dislikes you on an internet forum? Good luck on 4chan. SMH, you can't make this crap up. It will be okay Vers. Nobody takes you that seriously anyway.
rofl

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/03/22 08:31 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: FATE
OldColdDawg #1975931 10/03/22 08:37 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

You want a restraining order put on a guy who dislikes you on an internet forum? Good luck on 4chan. SMH, you can't make this crap up. It will be okay Vers. Nobody takes you that seriously anyway.
rofl
Hey, he "received" a text message the other day, from someone telling him someone attacks him everyday.

But, vers didn't deserve to be fired from his job, and he knows more football than any nfl coach. Well, he, and coach B.

archbolddawg #1975932 10/03/22 08:45 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Coach B... rofl that one is low.

Seriously though, Vers can post all he wants and what he wants. When I want, I'll respond. When others want to respond, they'll respond. That's just how it is. And we all know it. I'll be expecting my restraining order...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Falcons 23 post game

Link Copied to Clipboard