Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

how many years ago was this? lol

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this is the kind of guy we need at DT since we play the 4-2-5. In that D, the DTs are supposed to bigger, stronger guys who eat blocks and let the LBers run. They really are not asked to penetrate and make a ton of sacks and/or tackles. I don't know if this guy can actually play, but he fits the type we should have been looking for at DT since Woods arrived.

Here is a scouting report. The key thing to focus on in this report is strength.

TYELER DAVISON
FRESNO STATE
DT
Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Fresno State
HOMETOWN
CLASS
- -
- -
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 2"
316 lbs
34"
HANDS
10 3/4"
Prospect Grade
Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

Player Bio
Davison is a powerful defensive tackle who has above-average athleticism and saw his overall production spike in 2014. He is well-conditioned and can play all three downs if called upon to do so. With his athleticism, balance and power, Davison has the potential to be an outstanding pro, but he must prove that he can bring those same traits into play against better competition.

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison
Kyle Williams (Bills)

Overview
Davison is a powerful defensive tackle who has above-average athleticism and saw his overall production spike in 2014. He is well-conditioned and can play all three downs if called upon to do so. With his athleticism, balance and power, Davison has the potential to be an outstanding pro, but he must prove that he can bring those same traits into play against better competition.

Strengths
Built like a contestant in a strong-man competition
Has thickly muscled, long arms with big hands
Loves hand-to-hand combat inside
Uses club, rip, hump and push/pull techniques to beat defender
Has power to forcibly extract himself from block
Feels double team and braces outside leg and gets duck-footed to battle
Uses length to overcome lack of height
Relies on upper-body flexibility paired with explosion in his hips
Has quickness and "quick-win" capability to get after the quarterback and play on the other side of the line
Very tough at the point of attack and tries to impose his will on centers
Played 80 percent of the defensive snaps
Likeable with high character
High school wrestling background

Weaknesses
Can only play in a four-man front
Has power and athleticism but wasn't at his best against the best competition he faced early in the season
Struggles to change directions quickly enough in confined spaces and misses tackles because of it
Might need to add more weight to be able to hold up as a nose in the NFL
Some scouts believe he didn't give his best effort when asked to move to defensive end early in the season
Gets caught up in fighting man in front of him and will lose sight of the ball sometimes

Sources Tell Us

"He plays too laterally to me. I know he's strong and all that but I want to see him up the field more and not just against the weakest parts of the schedule." -- NFC West scout <br><br> "When I study him, I see a disruptive tackle-splitter. He can't play in an odd front, obviously, but when he gets technique work, I think you could see him really take off." -- NFC area scout

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tyeler-davison/32004441-5682-2084-103a-cbc0af12078c

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hmmm, so another project player for the Browns with a player they are waiting for to reach his potential at age 30. Will this reaching crap ever end in Cleveland?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not going to tell you that our DTs' are not a problem ... they are, but our scheme is too predictable and we are not helping are weaknesses with the scheme we're playing up front.

On the long run Sunday, we had both of our DEs' lined up in a wide 9 position before the snap.

The problem with that is that it seemed like Clowney was attempting to cover the B gap from his wide 9 position after the snap ... which is weird, because it was not an obvious passing situation and also Togiai (LDT) was crossing the face of the Center from his 3 technique presnap position and JOK released wide of Clowney, so no body was there to cover the B gap and that left two covering the C gap.

Seems to me like they should have either lined up Clowney (our DEs') in a 5 technique, or (the obvious) JOK should have filled the B gap there ... but I am not sure that it was his gap assignment in that defense ... which is very frustrating to say the least.

The League has figured out Joe Woods scheme and tendencies imo.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Absolutely CRAZY.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The beauty of being a Browns fan, lol

Legend
Legend
This was alluded to by Dan Orlovsky. Basically, our defensive scheme is SO predictable that teams can gash us by just knowing our keys and weaknesses. Atlanta did it and so did LA.

Something has to change

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
This was alluded to by Dan Orlovsky. Basically, our defensive scheme is SO predictable that teams can gash us by just knowing our keys and weaknesses. Atlanta did it and so did LA.

Something has to change

I wonder what the head coach thinks of this. I wonder if he ever even talks to Joe Woods.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not at all. But I heard they’re instagram friends.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Something has to change

I wonder what the head coach thinks of this. I wonder if he ever even talks to Joe Woods.
I think he’s too nice and too hands off in that regard, which will probably be his downfall. I also think in the back of he and Berry’s mind is that they don’t want to fire a guy mid season and scare off candidates for next year (at least, that’s what I’m justifying in my own mind lol)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The secret is out on us, just run the ball down our throats. We'll have to deal with it for the rest of the year unless by some miracle it gets rectified!!

V
Legend
Legend
V

Something has to change

I think he’s too nice and too hands off in that regard, which will probably be his downfall. I also think in the back of he and Berry’s mind is that they don’t want to fire a guy mid season and scare off candidates for next year (at least, that’s what I’m justifying in my own mind lol)

Come on, guys. You really think that Stefanski doesn't talk to his coordinators? [Sigh]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Come on, guys. You really think that Stefanski doesn't talk to his coordinators? [Sigh]

I'm not sure which is worse - whether he does or does not.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Yep...yet our own players have not.

E
Legend
Legend
E
This is to Vers and others who are good with stats.

How was our Run D with Walker in at LB. That was a dirty play by the Steelers to brake his leg. Any who...he was the captain of the front 7 and it seems our massive whoas with the run D have been since he went on IR.
Also I am curious on the stats cause Dieon is suppose to be a Mental asset with his commanding the front 7 similar to Walker. If so it might be a big time move getting him.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab, I don't think raw stats will adequately answer this question, but.......

Browns average rushing yards allowed for year: 138.2

Browns average rushing yards allowed in last 3 games: 181.3

Browns average rushing yards allowed in last game: 238.0

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The problem is the Browns LBers are really too light and soft
To shed blockers at the 2nd level. They don't have any thumper
In the middle.they don't wrap up. They lay a shoulder into a ball
Carrier and look stupid doing it. JOK is missing a letter in his name.the
Letter E..he is a joke.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Along those lines, we supposedly play a 4-2-5 as our base defense or most frequent defense, if there is a difference.

But I propose that the this may be our theoretical, it is different from our actual.

4 - linemen - correct - with light in the butt DT's
1 line backer - rotates player
3 SS - JJ3, Delpit, JOK
Cb - 3
FS= 0

I think we have 3 really good in the box safeties.
The problem is that we are using one as a Lb and another as a FS.
This makes us soft against the run, especially with the lack of stoutness in our DT's
If also makes us vulnerable to the deep pass because we have no one back there that can make up for other players mistakes or take advantage of a Qb's mistake.

I think that we can play defense with 3 SS's and play at a high level.
We can create some matchups that would be very difficult for the offense to match up with.
But we need to recognize this and be creative with our defense.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by eotab

How was our Run D with Walker in at LB. That was a dirty play by the Steelers to brake his leg. Any who...he was the captain of the front 7 and it seems our massive whoas with the run D have been since he went on IR.
Also I am curious on the stats cause Dieon is suppose to be a Mental asset with his commanding the front 7 similar to Walker. If so it might be a big time move getting him.

jmho

Maybe this will help.

The Browns after 5-weeks are ranked 28th against the run.

The Browns defense is ranked 15th in the number of rush attempts against them (middle of the pack) but 28th in yards allowed. The Browns are 30th in YPC at 5.3 with only Detroit 5.5 and the LAChargers 5.8 allowing more. Only Seattle (9) and Detroit (10) have allowed more rushing TD's than the Browns (8).

Browns Game by Game Run Defense Breakdown:
@ Carolina: 54 rush yards allowed, 19 attempts, 2.84 YPC, 2 rushing TD's
NYJets: 93 rush yards allowed, 20 attempts, 4.65 YPC, 0 rushing TD's
Pittsburgh: 104 rush yards allowed, 22 attempts, 4.73 YPC, 2 rushing TD's
@ Atlanta: 202 rush yards allowed, 35 attempts, 5.77 YPC, 2 rushing TD's
LAChargers: 238 rush yards allowed, 34 attempts, 7.00 YPC, 2 rushing TD's

Browns Game by Game Pass Defense Breakdown:
@ Carolina: 16/27 - 59.3%, 235 passing yards, 14.69 YPR, 1 TD, 1 INT
NYJets: 27/45 - 60.0%, 324 passing yards, 12.0 YPR, 4 TD's, 0 INT's
Pittsburgh: 20/32 - 62.5%, 207 passing yards, 10.35 YPR, 0 TD's, 0 INT's
@ Atlanta: 7/19 - 36.8%, 139 passing yards, 19.86 YPR. 0 TD's, 1 INT
LAChargers: 22/34 - 62.9%, 228 passing yards, 10.36 YPR, 1 TD, 0 INT's

The Browns Defense is 27th in passing yards per reception @ 12.3.
The Browns are ranked 14th though in passing yards allowed per game at 215.6.
The Browns are 23rd in QB sacks through 5-games with 9 and ranked tied for 30th in QB Hits with 20 through 5-games.
The only 2 teams with less QB Hits are Minnesota with 19 and Chicago with 16.

Last edited by steve0255; 10/12/22 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

Absolutely CRAZY.

And then the Browns cut them and they go on to find success elsewhere.

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Absolutely CRAZY.

Unbelievable. Frickin' unbelievable.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Yep...yet our own players have not.

It's so sad how true this is.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

Something has to change

Nice play breakdown of what the Chargers were doing to the Browns in the run game.

I'll just post the link because of some spirited language.

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1579918691462176770

Legend
Legend
Good stuff thanks milk

P
Legend
Legend
P
tab, I don't think raw stats will adequately answer this question, but.......

Browns average rushing yards allowed for year: 138.2

Browns average rushing yards allowed in last 3 games: 181.3

Browns average rushing yards allowed in last game: 238.0

This the perfect example of what happens when the opposing teams get game film on you. They see your weaknesses and then exploit them.

In the first game the Panthers really didn't even attempt to run on the Browns. McCaffrey only rushed 10 times.

In the second game the Jets who currently rank 24th in the league in rushing gained over 100 yards on the ground.

In week three even the lowly Steelers who rank 29th in rushing broke 100 yards rushing against the Browns. I think this is where opposing teams took notice.

As we all know it went straight downhill from there. Once teams figure out your weakness, with good coaching they will exploit it. And exploit it they did.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Something has to change

Stefanski IS NOT a Head Coach...

A head coach has the ability and experience to influence "the entire team"...offense, defense and special teams.
While Stefanski holds the title of Head Coach, in reality he is the Browns OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR..!

Stefanski just doesn't seem to have the ability to influence the defensive side of the ball and his ability to inspire or motivate the defense appears to be NONEXISTENT.

It looks as though Stefanski simply farmed out his Head Coaching responsibility, as it pertains to the DEFENSE, to Joe Woods.

IMO, Woods is also the Head Coach and has the power to dictate to Stefanski and Berry the type of players he wants on his defensive unit. Woods has the defensive personnel he wanted and lobbied for and we now get to witness what a good talent evaluator Woods is...not so good..!

Nothing wrong with Stefanski focusing more on the offensive side, but he either needs to become more involved with the defensive side or be willing to make the necessary changes to improve HIS DEFENSE.

jmho..mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Absolutely CRAZY.

And then the Browns cut them and they go on to find success elsewhere.

So if I’m deciphering this tweet correctly (I’m not)…..we should cut York, and extend Mike Priefer our special teams coach at the end of the year. Got it!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

rofl

Damn, had to make me go Full Editor again.

Legend
Legend
Translation: He's going to sit them down and say "C'mon guys, I can't be up there answering these same questions again next week. Please start tackling!??!"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The last Ravens/Browns game I was at in Baltimore, Jamal Lewis set the single game rushing record against the Browns. I will be going to the game on the 23rd, so don't be surprised....

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by DaveyD
The last Ravens/Browns game I was at in Baltimore, Jamal Lewis set the single game rushing record against the Browns. I will be going to the game on the 23rd, so don't be surprised....

I was at that game as well.

I am not going to the one on the 23rd. If we can't figure out how to slow down the run it will be the longest day ever.

1 member likes this: DaveyD
B
Legend
Legend
B
Start him

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
But, he was deemed a "bust" for the season after just one game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by eotab

jmho

Maybe this will help.

The Browns after 5-weeks are ranked 28th against the run.

The Browns defense is ranked 15th in the number of rush attempts against them (middle of the pack) but 28th in yards allowed. The Browns are 30th in YPC at 5.3 with only Detroit 5.5 and the LAChargers 5.8 allowing more. Only Seattle (9) and Detroit (10) have allowed more rushing TD's than the Browns (8).

Browns Game by Game Run Defense Breakdown:
@ Carolina: 54 rush yards allowed, 19 attempts, 2.84 YPC, 2 rushing TD's
NYJets: 93 rush yards allowed, 20 attempts, 4.65 YPC, 0 rushing TD's
Pittsburgh: 104 rush yards allowed, 22 attempts, 4.73 YPC, 2 rushing TD's
@ Atlanta: 202 rush yards allowed, 35 attempts, 5.77 YPC, 2 rushing TD's
LAChargers: 238 rush yards allowed, 34 attempts, 7.00 YPC, 2 rushing TD's

Browns Game by Game Pass Defense Breakdown:
@ Carolina: 16/27 - 59.3%, 235 passing yards, 14.69 YPR, 1 TD, 1 INT
NYJets: 27/45 - 60.0%, 324 passing yards, 12.0 YPR, 4 TD's, 0 INT's
Pittsburgh: 20/32 - 62.5%, 207 passing yards, 10.35 YPR, 0 TD's, 0 INT's
@ Atlanta: 7/19 - 36.8%, 139 passing yards, 19.86 YPR. 0 TD's, 1 INT
LAChargers: 22/34 - 62.9%, 228 passing yards, 10.36 YPR, 1 TD, 0 INT's

The Browns Defense is 27th in passing yards per reception @ 12.3.
The Browns are ranked 14th though in passing yards allowed per game at 215.6.
The Browns are 23rd in QB sacks through 5-games with 9 and ranked tied for 30th in QB Hits with 20 through 5-games.
The only 2 teams with less QB Hits are Minnesota with 19 and Chicago with 16.

Thank you if these stats are correct with Walker we gave up 54, 93 and 104 yards.
Then without him we gave up 202 and 238 yards rushing. Of course the attempts the last two games were a lot more but that was because we weren't stopping anything.

So in my mind I have come to the assumption that a leader for the front 7 is no longer there and the addition we made might help A LOT... jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
The improvement and the way Stefanski is using Njoku has improved drastically as the season has progressed. Glad he is earning his contract and justifying what we paid him. The narrative that he was labelled a bust after one game is not accurate of course - that might be called a lie by some rolleyes - although I do remember posters suggesting that if Njoku's season continued on a similar track (1 reception for less than 10 yards) whether that was going to mean he was over paid/a bust.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
One post out of a series of posts by a poster on Njoku after just one game.

steve0255
All Pro
S
North Carolina
Originally Posted by bonefish
Just curious A TE gets one target and he is a bust?

What if he was open? Does blocking count for a TE?

Not when you're paying him an average salary of over 13M per season. He's not a dang rookie, he's been in the league 5-years now and we're still waiting on consistent top tier TE performance. When is he going to produce like a top tier TE like he's being paid for? Teams don't pay TE's over 13M per season for just their blocking ability and neither should the Browns.

P
Legend
Legend
P
But, he was deemed a "bust" for the season after just one game.

One poster is an exception to the rule not the rule.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The thing I like is how he’s gradually improved. He was struggling for quite a while with catching the ball and blocking, but he’s improved in both areas. Even after earning a paycheck.

He’s been a good player for us

2 members like this: mac, mgh888
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard