Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by boofers20
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I remember when Gregg Williams took over HC, the change in everything was stark, they were disciplined, played hard and the whole team seemed to be on the same page. Not saying he's who I want, I'm just saying a good coach can bring it all together and beta personalities like Stefanski try not to stir the pot. Thats not a good quality for a HC, five me Tom Coughlin style any day

Say what you will about Eric Mangini, but according to NFL stats we were the least penalized team for the 2 seasons he was coach.

My preference right now would be to bring Tony Dungy out of retirement, I think his style would put us over the top

I like how yall just two former browns HC that never got to the playoffs. Stefanski isn't going anywhere.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Glad I left a little early.

The only thing good about this loss was with the fans leaving early you got to avoid the Zombie Walk.

You know, that packed walk up W3rd, shoulder to shoulder, your steps are as much side to side as they are forward, everybody staring at the street a foot or two in front of them, all with a blank stare on their face.

This game was pretty bad.

We did the same thing, was going to watch from the lower level and about the time we got there heard a groan from the crowd and someone said the Browns muffed a punt.

I was saying to my buddy as we walked up W3rd how glad I was that we left early. I absolutely can't stand that walk after a loss. And now the city parks their plow trucks there to clog it up even worse

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish
I remember when Gregg Williams took over HC, the change in everything was stark, they were disciplined, played hard and the whole team seemed to be on the same page. Not saying he's who I want, I'm just saying a good coach can bring it all together and beta personalities like Stefanski try not to stir the pot. Thats not a good quality for a HC, five me Tom Coughlin style any day

Say what you will about Eric Mangini, but according to NFL stats we were the least penalized team for the 2 seasons he was coach.

My preference right now would be to bring Tony Dungy out of retirement, I think his style would put us over the top

I like how yall just two former browns HC that never got to the playoffs. Stefanski isn't going anywhere.

We've got essentially a very similar team to last year with the exception of having a healthy backup quarterback starting, instead of an injured Mayfield (whether you think BM is a backup or a starter didn't matter). Generally the team and especially the OL is healthier... Certainly no worse. Today's game was rank... Stinky, disgusting fetid rank. If we see more games like this if think stefanski's seat would be warm.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
We don't have a head coach. We have a decent OC who needs great players to be successful and a below average defensive staff.

1 member likes this: Hammer
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Terry is 100% spot on with everything he said.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by mgh888

Especially the last two sentences.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Stefanski has put his ego ahead of winning. He has put himself ahead of the franchise. That's fireable and unforgivable.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
They are who we thought they were. (Herm Edwards)

Dennis Green actually.

Heem Edwards was “YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME”

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by AZBrown
Originally Posted by mgh888

Especially the last two sentences.
Absolutely. Of course Stefanski is Teflon. And Haslam isn't going to do anything. The sucking will continue. This franchise is embarrassing. Hopefully someone in Berea wakes up. And soon.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Just listened to Stefanski's presser.

Said they need to learn. Lol

Legend
Legend
Pluto is spot on

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
I'm just curious as to where vers is, so he can tell us what we saw wasn't what we saw.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Pluto is right on. I said in a Post I made in the last couple of days that there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know about and it's not good.

Legend
Legend

Thanks Dave. I'll drop it right here so posters don't even need to click to read the TRUTH.

Pathetic? Lifeless? Embarrassing? Pick your word for Browns’ loss to Patriots

Terry Pluto
Updated: Oct. 16, 2022, 6:15 p.m.|Published: Oct. 16, 2022, 5:05 p.m.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – I started to write, “This is really hard to watch.”

Then I stopped. That’s too kind for how the Browns played in their 38-15 loss to New England Sunday.

Instead, I’m going to speak for the fans. Those who pay to watch the games in person. Those who invest their heart and emotions into following the orange helmets.

Finally, those who deserve so much better than what this franchise has delivered – for decades.

This column is not about firing everyone. But it is about changing something, but so much is very, very wrong with this team.

Their record is 2-4. They have lost three in a row, each of those games was worse than the previous one.

Some fans will want Joshua Dobbs to replace Jacoby Brissett as the QB. He had two interceptions and lost a fumble.

I’m not ready to make that move. But I would have removed Brissett from this game. He looked overwhelmed and underprepared for what he faced from his old coach, Bill Belichick.

For much of the season, the Browns have had breakdowns on defense. There were costly interceptions on offense. Some key missed field goals.

But there never was ... this.

This as in a sense of doom, the players seemingly waiting for something to go wrong.

This as in a lack of faith, as if they didn’t buy into the game plan.

This as in there were times when they were out-hustled, out-coached and simply outed as a team with no faith in themselves.

THIS IS A NEW BOTTOM

Remember, the Browns hit bottom in 2022 not against the Tom Brady Patriots. These Patriots came to town with a 2-3 record and third-string rookie QB Bailey Zappe – and New England savaged them for 38 points.

The Browns defense gave up 309 yards to Bailey Zappe. Maybe he turns into the next Tom Brady, but right now he’s a fourth-round pick from Western Kentucky just trying stay in the league.

Once again, there were blown coverages, sloppy tackling and the usual defensive sins.

I find it hard to have any belief in what Defensive Coordinator Joe Woods is doing this season. It’s time for a change, either in his approach or the Browns need a new defensive coordinator.

The defensive scheme stinks. The accent on tackling this week was utterly ignored, at least based on what happened on the field.

Good news? Cade York is back on track – kicked three field goals. After that, I have nothing positive to say about the Browns.

WHAT KIND OF GAME PLAN WAS THAT?

Players are a big part of every game.

But how about some help from the coaches? Kevin Stefanski & Co. must have been seeing tight ends in their sleep, because they kept calling passes to – you guessed it – tight ends.

Not just one tight end, but three.

The first play of the game was to tight end Harrison Bryant for 6 yards. The next one was a long pass down the sidelines to Pharoah Brown, the team’s third-string tight end. It was picked off.

In the first half, the Browns threw the ball as many times to tight ends (8) as they gave it to Nick Chubb. They seemed to enter the game believing Belichick was determined to take away the running game – so why bother to put a sincere effort into making it work?

I’m going to stop. You get the point. I just keep wondering, “Whatever happened to tough, smart and accountable?” And please, don’t tell me about how Deshaun Watson finally playing is going to address many of the problems.

It’s much deeper than that, and Browns fans know it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: DaveyD
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Swish

Ill take that bet..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
... I said in a Post I made in the last couple of days that there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know about and it's not good.

Cracks in the foundation.

We've all seen this movie before. Wheels are close to coming completely off.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I would have tried Dobbs for a series or two. Just to spice things up, he brings an athletic factor, so maybe that could loosen the D. JB’s long throws are not good, he’s getting slower in his reads and isn’t mobile enough to threaten a D.

Start Dobbs. Josh or Lou. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Listening to the players speak and much more so watching the play on the field, most seem content collecting a paycheck. A problem that has not changed since '99.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think the players have given up because this was a throw away year from the beginning.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I think the players have given up because this was a throw away year from the beginning.

There's something to be said for that. That dialogue has circulated around town as well.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Thoughtful comments from Bill Belichick in his postgame presser regarding Browns legends. Interesting to see and listen to what he suggested of his team. Respect for history.

Starts at the 2 min. 15 second mark....

https://www.patriots.com/video/bill...this-league-is-about-having-good-players

2 members like this: FATE, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Win or lose Game 5 (and its not just this season for the Guardians). This is spot on....and it all starts at the top...

The Browns still severely lack in organizational culture.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
It’s what I feared when we found out Watson was suspended for 11 games: as soon as things look grim the players will go into self preservation mode and say screw it.

We are to that point. The Jets, Falcons, and Chargers losses were bad … but yesterday felt different. Felt like quitting.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Listening to the players speak and much more so watching the play on the field, most seem content collecting a paycheck. A problem that has not changed since '99.

The team quitting on Chud seemed to me the biggest single reason he was fired prematurely and not given a better chance. If Stefanski can't get better performance and 100% effort - I'd say his seat is going to feel increasingly warmer.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Stefanski has put his ego ahead of winning. He has put himself ahead of the franchise. That's fireable and unforgivable.

I don't agree that it's his ego. Maybe - but I don't see that. I see a good or very good OC who has triggered the Peter Principal. I see a calm, organized, thoughtful coach - characteristics we all embraced - but not a leader of men, not someone to inspire or have players playing with passion and commitment when the chips are down. Someone that relies on the same (now cliché) presser comments after a loss. Someone that is too predictable as a coordinator when we struggle in game. Someone who scripts plays brilliant to start games but lacks ability for in game adjustments. As a HC he is sort of the equivalent of a game manager - can do most of his job (outside of being accountable for the D) very well, but doesn't inspire or lead or lift others from a motivational sense.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I agree … he’s not a natural head coach. He’s a natural play designer, organizer, manager, etc. He needs a foil as a DC that brings those fiery qualities IMO. That’s the only way to salvage what he brings that is GOOD

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I agree … he’s not a natural head coach. He’s a natural play designer, organizer, manager, etc. He needs a foil as a DC that brings those fiery qualities IMO. That’s the only way to salvage what he brings that is GOOD

This is pretty spot on. Great description of what appears to be going on.

F
Legend
Legend
F
KS, needs to focus on Head Coaching, managing different aspects of the game plan, personalities, etc. He should be in Joe Woods grill at times, but he's too busy calling plays. Is he even aware of what is happening on defense on game days, or is he too focused on his next series?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I’m not sure what the coaching staff’s routine is during the game when it comes to responsibility and communication, but how could you be KS and watch the film the next week and think “everything will be OK”

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
KS, needs to focus on Head Coaching, managing different aspects of the game plan, personalities, etc. He should be in Joe Woods grill at times, but he's too busy calling plays. Is he even aware of what is happening on defense on game days, or is he too focused on his next series?

I think we all know the answer to this.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Winning coaches seem to either inspire their teams by being fiery or by being the cerebral types who X and O their opponents. Stefanski seems like the worst of both. He is the least fiery coach ever, and he doesn't seem to game plan very well at all. There's no shame in getting outreached by Belichick, but this is two years in a row where he just got humiliated.
Tell me I am overreacting, but I just don't think it is going to work. The Jets don't have the talent we have, but their coach seems to inspire them. When they lose, he gets made. When Tomlin gets humbled, he gets pissed and the team responds the next week - even though it lacks talent. When Stefanski loses, he ... just takes it. As for Berry, the Brissett plan is obviously a total failure. We were all dubious, and there were other options, but we tried to be hopeful. We never thought he was good, and it turns out he is much worse than we thought. The trade for Watson is going to look really bad when Houston gets a top five pick this year.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, bill B has owned KS … easily the most outmatched KS has been in his tenure.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It never ends with this team. We get rid of Baker with all his drama, and we have just as much as we had when he was here, maybe more. The coaching looks suspect especially on D. I really feel a change is needed there. Yesterday was sad but we've all seen this many times over the years. That's what I don't get. We change coaches, FO and players and the same stuff happens season after season all negative. I tell people this that know I'm a Browns fan and it's like they don't believe it. I myself don't know what to do to change it.

Legend
Legend
Pathetic. Some good individual performances, but overall, horrid.

I don't think Watson in the line up fixes the problems.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
jc

season still alive. top afc north team is 3-3.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The problem I feel is that

The 3-3 team will be 4-3 next week and the Browns

will be 2-5

After yesterdays loss I don't have

much faith in them winning the next few games

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
JOK losing snaps now to Takitaki.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I don't think Watson in the line up fixes the problems.

This.

Maybe next season with key upgrades on defense.

How much will he do with the record we will most likely have when he returns and plays his first game in 2 years?

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 15 Patriots 38 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard