Hall of Famer
Who here would be surprised? ... It's not like we can get much worse w/o him

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1980217 10/17/22 10:37 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Who here would be surprised? ... It's not like we can get much worse w/o him

Oh ye of little faith. Finding new lows is a Cleveland Browns tradition.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: DawgPound75, FATE
Swish #1980230 10/17/22 11:20 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Who is going to go first Joe Woods or Anthony Schwartz?

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Swish #1980239 10/17/22 12:36 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Any rumblings today? I'm really hoping.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Swish #1980285 10/17/22 03:16 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We need woods gone asap. the players just aren't responding to his scheme and coaching properly

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by tastybrownies

There will be no rumblings until the end of this season.

Imo, of course.

AZBrown #1980300 10/17/22 04:17 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by AZBrown
Originally Posted by tastybrownies

There will be no rumblings until the end of this season.

Imo, of course.

Quite likely.

Only other chance would be is at the bye if the defense continues to implode these next two weeks.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IMO there's no reason why he can't be replaced now or in the next few weeks as long as they have someone in mind and ready to go when the change is made. Vic Fangio is an example. I would hire someone outside of the organization that would have a different scheme as long as it would work with the personnel we have now. I think a change could make a world of difference and give a much-needed jolt to this team. Why wait? things are not going well and we should have at least 2-3 more wins at this point. Our losses have been a travesty and even yesterday we were in it until that stupid 2PT. conversion try. Maybe our D guys would actually play harder for someone new. Get ready for another episode of futility this coming Sunday.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/17/22 04:37 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
My thoughts as well.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just to expound on the subject. We need to get someone in here with an attitude, someone with some fire that our players may be a little intimidated by. A guy like Mangini (we know we won't hire him nor would he come back as DC) maybe Greg Williams. I'm not saying to hire these guys I'm just giving examples off the top of my head of coaches that will discipline and command respect and accountability from our players that's all.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Swish #1980305 10/17/22 04:55 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I personally think it would be best to see how the season plays out and make a move right after the season if need be. I'm not sure if Woods is the problem or not. He might be. But, I see a lot of crappy tackling and angles taken by defenders. We still don't have a true FS. I personally don't think replacing Woods during the season is going to make us a Super Bowl contender this year. Waiting until the end of the season will put more candidates in play.

3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Hammer, FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gregg Williams would fit that quite nicely....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
2 members like this: tastybrownies, mgh888
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You might be right I don't know. I do know we're going into a stretch of games playing some very good QB's. The only really good one we've faced so far is Justin Hebert. How many times has a QB thrown for 500 yards in an NFL game? You may see it once or twice in our next 6 games. On second thought maybe not. Not when the opposing team can rush for 300+ against us!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am just expressing my opinion and I really, really don't want to argue about it. You guys post your thoughts and I'll post mine.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I personally think it would be best to see how the season plays out and make a move right after the season if need be. I'm not sure if Woods is the problem or not. He might be. But, I see a lot of crappy tackling and angles taken by defenders. We still don't have a true FS. I personally don't think replacing Woods during the season is going to make us a Super Bowl contender this year. Waiting until the end of the season will put more candidates in play.

100% agree.

Woods was able to turn around poor starts in both previous years. I fully expect him to have the D fixed by the time DW is back. I do hope we find a new DC in the off-season, as it seems Woods has this pattern of slow starts.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Okay fine but I have a question. Why does he have to fix the D again if he fixed it last year? We have pretty much the same guys from last season minus Anthony Walker. I understand adjustments have to be made week to week and in game but fix again?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

100% agree.

Woods was able to turn around poor starts in both previous years. I fully expect him to have the D fixed by the time DW is back. I do hope we find a new DC in the off-season, as it seems Woods has this pattern of slow starts.

Should it really take 6-8 games to turn things around? Each year?

5 members like this: DaveyD, Floquinho, jfanent
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Gregg Williams would fit that quite nicely....

You're probably right - as a DC.

But I don't see Haslam dipping back into the past for Woods' replacement (if the change actually happens). He'll go young and upcoming. I'm sure there'll be a few names suggested on this board in the weeks to come.

I think the apex of William's career has already come.

Give him a head coaching job with a gigantic payday before retirement, then maybe.

But that's not going to happen here.

Imo

Last edited by AZBrown; 10/17/22 06:10 PM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
NO.... It shouldn't especially with the same players.

2 members like this: bbrowns32, mgh888
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I can see other posters points about waiting until the end of the season to make a change. The points made are plausible, but it just bothers me to no end to see us make the same mistakes and get beat down week after week on D and yesterday the O kicked in with a lousy effort. Well, we can hope and pray our coaches get some things straightened out. I'd like to be wrong about my win total prediction.

Swish #1980331 10/17/22 07:16 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c...

To me, there is only one ideal situation that dictates a mid-season coaching change at the top (HC, OC, DC)... The guy you want (and I don't mean "are willing to settle for") is immediately available. If so, that's a huge win, as he has a partial season to salvage or work towards the future. Obviously, the salvage part is key to timing. If this is salvageable and that dude is unemployed? Do it. Now.

That is very seldom the case. Fangio? He could fit that criteria (and I'd be thrilled with the hire), but he is employed... Not formally enough to make it impossible, but he is a paid consultant for the Eagles -- and probably loving every minute of it.

Your other option is to get the stench out of the building (if that's the way you see it) and bump someone from the ranks to be the interim. First -- I don't think that's the way we view Woods. Second -- is that the right approach in a season filled with uncertainty anyway? Probably not.

If that is the case, or becomes such, I would expect us to elevate Pass game coordinator/defensive backs – Jeff Howard... He spent seven seasons (2013-19) on the same coaching staff with Stefanski in Minnesota. OR... Linebackers – Jason Tarver... 19 seasons in the NFL including Defensive Coordinator experience with the Raiders (2012-14)... Probably the latter.

Not a big fan of making the change right now, although I (nearly) completely agree with all the stated reasons why. And in short, I really don't think Woods is going to work out.

I do know one thing (at least I'm arrogant enough to believe I do lol)...

There was a meeting in Berea this morning. I suspect the only one who bothered to put a fist on the table was Jimmy Haslam. I also think this organization was "designed" by him to be just that. Another set of "yes men"; this set aligned in philosophy, slaves to the analytics that put them all together in the first place. "Just follow the system" types, of which none are willing or capable of kicking the damn chair out from under their ass, standing up, and getting loud: "this isn't cutting it, figure it out or it's your ass".

Somewhere along this string of command, this attitude is necessary right now, and going forward. When a change is made, I expect the next hire to be more like Gregg Williams and less like Joe Woods. This type of personality is necessary for Stefanski, he's not mean and nasty enough to be that guy... "good cop / bad cop" would be a much better environment for him to work in.

Stefanski is an offensive minded HC who designs the scheme and calls the plays. That shouldn't change, that's where he thrives. It doesn't need to change if there is an alpha on the defensive side. Joe Woods is not that guy.

I know one more thing... We play BALTIMORE next Sunday. If the performance looks anything like yesterday, or the defense leaves the field clutching the same excuses we've seen all season... there will likely be more than fists on the table from Haslam.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

100% agree.

Should it really take 6-8 games to turn things around? Each year?

Of course not, that's why we need to replace him.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
FATE #1980383 10/18/22 06:31 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Lolz.....people are mentioning Gregg Williams.

Damn, it must be bad.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Lolz.....people are mentioning Gregg Williams.

Damn, it must be bad.
It's worse. You've watched the (at times) the horror show and have come away shaking your head. So, yes, it is bad.....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Swish #1980401 10/18/22 09:42 AM
All Pro
All Pro

Maybe not related to Joe Woods but I love his refreshing answer about why they failed on 4th and 9. No BS, just honest and straight forward.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I loved the ability to add a little humor in there at the beginning and not come across as mocking or arrogant.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1980436 10/18/22 11:57 AM
Legend
Legend
So is it just Woods coaching (or lack of coaching) it serms to me that he needs to simplify the defense until everybody is on the same page. Good coaches work with the talent they have. They don't try to fit squareplayers into round holes just to fit his schemes.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2 members like this: bbrowns32, mgh888
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fire Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard