Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's possible. And maybe dysfunction is too strong a word for the incident.

That said - the time for motivation and emotions to get fired up is before and during a game not after.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Njoku has been a bright spot for us. I give him credit … hopefully he can return quickly and keep up his good play

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
2nd String
2nd String
With the Jets losing RB Hall for the season and trade deadline coming soon what is the chance that K. Hunt could be a Jet? Could be a good move for both teams (players and/or picks)

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by OrangeHelmet
With the Jets losing RB Hall for the season and trade deadline coming soon what is the chance that K. Hunt could be a Jet? Could be a good move for both teams (players and/or picks)

They were just talking about that on the radio here in Columbus.? They said the Jets and Rams are going to go hard after Hunt. They said Rams were all in on CMC, with alot of picks and even throwing in Akers. As for the Jets, Hunt for Elijah Moore and a 5th.

Didn’t hear who they were talking to, caught it about halfway through the interview.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

V
Legend
Legend
V
Damn, that sucks about Njoku. Hopefully, it's 2 weeks and not 5.

As far as trading Hunt goes.............Rams make more sense to me than Jets. Michael Carter is a pretty good, young back for the Jets. Rams have apparently given up on Akers.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I'm thinking both can't wait to get out of Cleveland.
I can see Hunt going to the Giants, Chargers, Vikings
Greedy who knows...maybe Philly

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure how much weight this report actually carries, but....

V
Legend
Legend
V
He's not very good, but I feel bad for the guy.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
He's not very good, but I feel bad for the guy.

Mary Kay talked up this guy like he was the next coming
Of Zack Thomas in August
She's the female version of Nathan Zegura

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stick a fork in em.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
It would appear the carryover from last year is getting worse. It's kinda ugly when a HC and player go after one another in a locker room setting. Sure sounds like some players are having an issue with the HC but hey. it could be just my imagination because I've been told my hatred makes me post these posts. 22-20 now under Stefanski's rein and never finished a year better than 3rd place in the division (just like Williams and Freddie). Might be why Garrett is lashing out but somethings not right in that locker room.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...mp;cvid=559e9b752bfd4523b8a5bd5d9162c343

This article, by some guy that was not even present covering the game, implies that the shouting was between Garrett and Stefanski, it was not. Zac Jackson who was standing just outside the locker room. The shouting was amongst the players, which is actually not a bad thing at all, shows they still care.

The one comment Zac Jackson said he clearly heard someone in the locker room shout was, "there's no [bleeping] leadership!" He mentioned this on 92.3 with Dustin Fox and was reported by Jason Lloyd in The Athletic. Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if some of that isn't directed at JJ III.

On another note, Jim Donovan was on WKNR this morning discussing the team and he said that going back to training camp he noticed too many players taking days off, standing around or riding the stationary bike. He mentioned he felt that some of the players, particularly on defense, felt as though they had arrived with all the talk (in the media) of how they were a top 5 defense. He also noted, how many of the young players never had to earn their starting jobs, but were handed the job. Donovan noted he got the sense that several players on defense carried themselves with a sense of entitlement that had not been earned. Specifically, he pointed out Greg Newsome who is yet to even record an interception in his career and one pass defended on the season.

Donovan said he would not be surprised to see the Browns go in selling mode knowing the Browns need draft capital and he surprisingly brought up the thought of Denzel Ward being an option.

He does not believe anybody will be fired during the season, but will be evaluated at the end of the season, which is likely the right call. There is nobody in the organization that will step in and turn the ST around and it is highly doubtful that promoting Jason Tarver (only person on the team with past DC experience) would get any defensive struggles to do a 180.

I expect a long rest of the season.

Legend
Legend
Phillips has had 2-3 major injuries in a short amount of time (and struggled when he was on the field). That might be it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for posting this news.

The culture crap is being manufactured by a few posters who are doing what they always do. Not worth wasting time on beyond mentioning it.

I will say that the comments about not having to earn their jobs and believing their press clippings is concerning. That might be a Berry issue. I like the guy and want him to stay, but the fact that we didn't cut any of our draft choices two straight years in a row makes me raise an eyebrow. Of course, it's also a problem if Woods and Stefanski just buy into that. I hope that it isn't true. I kinda disagree w/Donovan on Newsome. He seems to be playing hard. I also am not sure about going into a selling mode.

I've been saying for awhile that if Woods needs to go, it should be after the season concludes. Emotional reactions are rarely intelligent decisions.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The team apparently lacks leadership at all three levels...FO, coaching staff, and players.

I'm reading the news about the upcoming fire sale and am scratching my head at how that solves the leadership issue. It doesn't. This team is so maddening.

Donovan's comments on camp cupcake are disappointing. We all knew that was happening but were hoping it wouldn't play out on the field.

Where is the leadership on this team?

R
Legend
Legend
R
And now we are stuck having a crappy team until leaders emerge or there is turnover hoping to solve the leadership void.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Donovan wasn't really bagging on Newsome per se, it was more about the sense on how they carry themselves on and off the field. It was more so, you carry yourself around like a superstar, but what have you truly done on the field. He wasn't burying Newsome just describing some of the entitlement issues he notices. Hopefully, that clarifies a bit.

One issue raised by Browns sideline reporter, Je'Rod Cherry and WKNR host (he admittedly said this was more speculation on his part, than anything concrete), was how much control Stefanski truly had on who plays and who does not. Questioned whether or not Stefanski had complete and total autonomy over who plays, hence the lack of benching certain players. Again, speculation on his part, but if something like happens to be the case, not good.

It'll all come out in the wash over as the rest of the season plays out.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I'm reading the news about the upcoming fire sale and am scratching my head at how that solves the leadership issue. It doesn't. This team is so maddening.

Je'Rod Cherry mentioned this very point when Donovan was discussing Berry selling off players to try get back into the first round in next year's draft. Cherry said to Donovan, "that's great and all if you sell off some players and get some draft picks, but how does that solve the entitlement issues we are seeing with some of the young guys on the team that were handed starting positions without having to truly earn them? When you have young players that are handed starting roles without earning them, they sometimes will tune out veteran leadership because there is no fear of losing playing time."

With both Donovan and Cherry being a part of the Browns radio broadcast they are privy to seeing a lot more behind the scenes than the beat reporters.

It'll be interesting to see how this team responds over the next few weeks.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Donovan wasn't really bagging on Newsome per se, it was more about the sense on how they carry themselves on and off the field. It was more so, you carry yourself around like a superstar, but what have you truly done on the field. He wasn't burying Newsome just describing some of the entitlement issues he notices. Hopefully, that clarifies a bit.

One issue raised by Browns sideline reporter, Je'Rod Cherry and WKNR host (he admittedly said this was more speculation on his part, than anything concrete), was how much control Stefanski truly had on who plays and who does not. Questioned whether or not Stefanski had complete and total autonomy over who plays, hence the lack of benching certain players. Again, speculation on his part, but if something like happens to be the case, not good.

It'll all come out in the wash over as the rest of the season plays out.

Thanks for all the information and also the clarification. It's appreciated.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I feel bad for Phillips. I liked him coming out of LSU and thought when he got healthy, he would be a solid player for us. Guess I was wrong. I don't want to see KS fired but I do think we have to get someone in here that's tough with the players especially on D. Say what you want about Mangini, but the players played hard for him and respected him. We were a run first team with him as HC and pounded the Pats one game and really pushed them around when they had more talent than they do now, and we had less talent than we do now. I'm not saying hire him I'm just making a point about the coaching.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/24/22 06:55 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Rish, this is not an insult at all. People react differently to situations. Not saying anyone's reaction is good or bad. I have read your posts--and posts from several others--that has been so negative and full of angst the last several weeks. Everything is negative, negative, negative and the world is ending. I can't live my life that way. I would quit watching if I truly felt that this organization was as bad as you guys say they are. I am enough of a realist to recognize that there are issues, but I think most of these will be resolved. I actually see a bright future for this team. I just can't let an outside force influence my mood like some of you do. Life is short and I don't want to spend so much time feeling miserable over a freaking football team. smile

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers, I posted earlier today that I don't want to see KS get fired although I think we need a change at DC. We've lost 4 games by 9 points, and we were even in the Pats game until those 2 late TO's. I feel that with a couple of tweaks we could be a much better team. Just with DW playing at his normal level and 2 good DT we could easily be 5-2 or 6-1.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We can rule the Jets trading for Hunt.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Why would anyone root for a team that would consider trading Hunt at this time?
The dysfunction didn't happen when Baker was here. ... well not the same dysfunction.

It would be so Cleveland to stab their fans in the back AgAiN by trading Hunt, what a complete (honey nut ->) organization.

JB is not a real @uarterback.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by steve0255
It would appear the carryover from last year is getting worse. It's kinda ugly when a HC and player go after one another in a locker room setting. Sure sounds like some players are having an issue with the HC but hey. it could be just my imagination because I've been told my hatred makes me post these posts. 22-20 now under Stefanski's rein and never finished a year better than 3rd place in the division (just like Williams and Freddie). Might be why Garrett is lashing out but somethings not right in that locker room.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...mp;cvid=559e9b752bfd4523b8a5bd5d9162c343

This article, by some guy that was not even present covering the game, implies that the shouting was between Garrett and Stefanski, it was not. Zac Jackson who was standing just outside the locker room. The shouting was amongst the players, which is actually not a bad thing at all, shows they still care.

The one comment Zac Jackson said he clearly heard someone in the locker room shout was, "there's no [bleeping] leadership!" He mentioned this on 92.3 with Dustin Fox and was reported by Jason Lloyd in The Athletic. Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if some of that isn't directed at JJ III.

On another note, Jim Donovan was on WKNR this morning discussing the team and he said that going back to training camp he noticed too many players taking days off, standing around or riding the stationary bike. He mentioned he felt that some of the players, particularly on defense, felt as though they had arrived with all the talk (in the media) of how they were a top 5 defense. He also noted, how many of the young players never had to earn their starting jobs, but were handed the job. Donovan noted he got the sense that several players on defense carried themselves with a sense of entitlement that had not been earned. Specifically, he pointed out Greg Newsome who is yet to even record an interception in his career and one pass defended on the season.

Donovan said he would not be surprised to see the Browns go in selling mode knowing the Browns need draft capital and he surprisingly brought up the thought of Denzel Ward being an option.

He does not believe anybody will be fired during the season, but will be evaluated at the end of the season, which is likely the right call. There is nobody in the organization that will step in and turn the ST around and it is highly doubtful that promoting Jason Tarver (only person on the team with past DC experience) would get any defensive struggles to do a 180.

I expect a long rest of the season.

Hmm, too many players taking days off? I commented on that exact same thing based on how many Browns players had this past Wednesday off for a 2-4, now 2-5 Team. Hmmmmm.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hunt is fun to watch

The Browns are not

Do Hunt a favor and trade him

The Browns haven't done crap on offense to win games

with or without Hunt

such a sad team

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Frenchy

boo on trying to trade Hunt. Meh on Greedy.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Rish, this is not an insult at all. People react differently to situations. Not saying anyone's reaction is good or bad. I have read your posts--and posts from several others--that has been so negative and full of angst the last several weeks. Everything is negative, negative, negative and the world is ending. I can't live my life that way. I would quit watching if I truly felt that this organization was as bad as you guys say they are. I am enough of a realist to recognize that there are issues, but I think most of these will be resolved. I actually see a bright future for this team. I just can't let an outside force influence my mood like some of you do. Life is short and I don't want to spend so much time feeling miserable over a freaking football team. smile
How many years or players away do you think this team
Is away from contending ? Be real . Cause Diam Dawg proclaimed
4 years ago this team would be in the SB. How did that prediction
Turn away.
Just because DeShawn Watson is the starter for the next 5 years
Guarantees nothing. As long as Berry is the GM, this team
Won't win a pickle

V
Legend
Legend
V
I clearly stated I wasn't bad-mouthing anyone. I was stating my opinion on how I follow a team. Not asking for your approval.

V
Legend
Legend
V

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
j/c:

Apparently, Nick Chubb is currently 3rd in the NFL with 4th quarter carries at 36; 1st in total yards; 1st in TDs.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-splits/rushing/fourth-quarter/2022?sort=rushatt

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Only on this board can someone twist a team going into the locker room with a 2-5 record yelling at each other as "not a bad thing". Only here can there be people who claim that a team loaded with talent having been under performing and what we thought were strengths appear to be weaknesses isn't a big issue and try to put lipstick on a pig. Only here can multiple players be speaking out blaming everything and everyone but themselves not be considered a problem with the culture. It's like one big excuse machine.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Apparently, Nick Chubb is currently 3rd in the NFL with 4th quarter carries at 36; 1st in total yards; 1st in TDs.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-splits/rushing/fourth-quarter/2022?sort=rushatt

Also:

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
The problem is we seem to have a tendency to rapidly shift to not using him as soon as a defense starts to show that they're keying on him, and at the same time, we pull him out and put in Hunt or we go empty instead of keeping him in there for the defense to continue to focus on. At times, it almost feels like Stefanski is just waiting for the slightest sign so he can give up on it. Far too often, Chubb gets a good run or two and has the defense's full attention and then he's put on the sideline where they don't have to care about him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Having Chubb on the field and using PA is probably the best things to keep opposing D's on their heels. Just the threat of having the best RB in the NFL on the field in and of itself leaves the running game as a threat. An empty backfield is giving away what you're going to do next. That might not be so bad if watson were in the pocket. Not so good with Brissett in the pocket.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think it was in games last year that we got away from using Chubb more so than this year. I think it's a bit of a hold over from last year that fans might be thinking KS is not running Chubb enough - and has been pointed out, we sometimes seem to have him on the side lines during one or two crucial plays. But again - personally I think that was more last year than this.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I think Stefanski does a great job of calling plays. Nobody is perfect, and any fan is just silly to think other coaches are that much better. I think it's real easy to take every bad play or bad series and jump to conclusions. Crappy play-calling is overlooked when you win, everyone pulls out the microscope when you lose. The latest is "well look, Chubb is on the sideline, why is Chubb on the sideline??" If running Chubb every time was the solution, we'd be undefeated, right?

My complaints with the running game. Where is Hunt? He's very often that player that needs a handful of reps before he gets rolling -- he never gets a handful of reps anymore. Are we not going to use him because we're trading him? Fine. Let's see Johnson and Ford... they've combined for ZERO rushing attempts this year. And then, I'll co-sign with everything Pit said. The threat of Chubb is nearly as valuable as the player himself... Why do we have so many plays with pre-snap movement where he moves to the slot (with an empty backfield) but so few plays where the opposite happens?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
PFF GRADES THROUGH 7-weeks

TOTAL OFFENSIVE GRADES:

___________________________________1 player performing at Elite Level 90-100
Chubb - RB - 91.1 - 2nd of 61 - Georgia - 2018
___________________________________2 players currently performing at Pro Bowl Level 89-85
Bitonio - G - 89.2 - 1st of 77 - Nevada - 2014
Teller - G - 85.3 - 2nd of 77 - Virginia Tech - 2018
___________________________________5 players performing at Starter Level 84-70
Njoku - TE - 83.5 - 2nd of 72 - Miami, FL - 2017
Conklin - OT - 75.7 - 15th of 77 - Michigan St - 2016
Pocic - C - 74.8 - 3rd of 37 - LSU - 2017
Cooper - WR - 74.3 - 28th of 110 - Alabama - 2016
Brissett - QB - 73.1 - 12th of 36 - NC State - 2016
___________________________________9 players currently performing at Backup Level 69-60
Froholdt - G - 68.9 - NR - Arkansas - 2019
Hudson - OT - 68.8 - 35th of 77 - Cincinnati - 2021
DPJ - WR - 64.6 - 63rd of 110 - Michigan - 2020
Brown - TE - 64.0 - 24th of 72 - Oregon - 2017
Johnson - RB - 63.0 - NR - South Florida - 2019
Hunt - RB - 62.3 - 45th of 61 - Toledo - 2017
Wills - OT - 60.3 - 57th of 77 - Alabama - 2020
Woods II - WR - 60.0 - NR - Oklahoma - 2022
Haeg - OT - 60.0 - NR - N Dakota St - 2016
___________________________________8 players currently performing at Replaceable Level 59-0
Forristall - TE - 59.7 - NR - Alabama - 2021
York - K - 56.3 - 33rd of 39 - LSU - 2022
Felton - WR - 56.1 - NR - UCLA - 2021
Bryant - TE - 53.5 - 59th of 72 - Florida Atlantic - 2020
Bell - WR - 50.1 - 108th of 110 - Purdue - 2022
Schwartz - WR - 49.3 - NR - Auburn - 2021
Dunn - OT - 48.2 - NR - Maryland - 2017
James - TE - 42.2 - NR - Penn St - 2015

TOTAL DEFENSIVE GRADE
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Elite Level 90-100
Garrett - Edge - 92.1 - 1st of 112 - Texas A&M - 2017
___________________________________0 players currently performing at Pro Bowl Level 89-85
___________________________________7 players currently performing at Starter Level 84-70
Clowney - Edge - 83.2 - 15th of 112 - South Carolina - 2014
Walker - LB - 82.7 - NR (Injured, out for season) - Northwestern - 2017
Fields -- LB - 79.9 - NR - West Virginia - 2021
Bojorquez - P - 79.8 - 4th of 32 - New Mexico - 2018
Emerson - CB - 73.4 - 18th of 110 - Mississippi St - 2022
Kunaszyk - LB - 73.4 - NR - California - 2019
Takitaki - LB - 72.3 - 12th of 79 - BYU - 2019
___________________________________4 players currently performing at Backup Level 69-60
JOK - LB - 69.3 - 26th of 79 - Notre Dame - 2021
Newsome - CB - 64.9 - 49th of 110 - Northwestern - 2021
D. Bell - S - 64.4 - NR - West Florida Argonauts - 2022
Thomas - Edge - 62.6 - NR - Oklahoma - 2022
___________________________________15 players currently performing Replaceable Level 59-0
Johnson - S - 57.8 - 64th of 87 - Boston Coll - 2017
Williams - CB - 56.9 - NR - LSU - 2019
Delpit - S - 55.0 - 71st of 87 - LSU - 2020
Bryan - DT - 53.0 - 87th of 122 - Florida - 2018
Rochell - Edge - 52.7 - 99th of 112 - Notre Dame - 2017
Harrison - S - 48.9 - NR - Alabama - 2018
Winfrey - DT - 45.6 - 104th of 122 - Oklahoma - 2022
Winovich - Edge - 42.4 - NR - Michigan - 2019
Wright - Edge - 41.9 - 110th of 112 - UAB - 2022
Ward - CB - 39.8 - 105th of 110 - Ohio St - 2018
Phillips - LB - 36.5 - 76th of 79 (injured, out for season) - LSU - 2020
Jones - LB - 36.2 - NR - LSU - 2016
Togiai - DT - 34.3 - 116th of 122 - Ohio St - 2021
Elliott - DT - 33.5 - 117th of 122 - Missouri - 2020
Green - CB - 29.0 - NR - Oklahoma St - 2020

NR = Not Ranked due to not having snap minimum

SCALE:
100 - 90 = Elite level of play
85-89 = Pro Bowl level of play
84-70 = Starter level of play
69-60 = Backup level of play
59-0 = Replaceable level of play[color:#CCCCCC][/color]

Last edited by steve0255; 10/25/22 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Also:

We have reached the point where folks on this board are creating narratives that don't truly exist just so they can mitch and boan more.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by FATE
My complaints with the running game. Where is Hunt? He's very often that player that needs a handful of reps before he gets rolling -- he never gets a handful of reps anymore. Are we not going to use him because we're trading him? Fine. Let's see Johnson and Ford... they've combined for ZERO rushing attempts this year.

This.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard