Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
we are 0=5 when chub rushes less than 20 carries

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by shotty66

but, like the old "Run William Green 25 times a Game" argument, is that a chicken or egg thing. Are we 2-0 because he's getting those carries, or is he getting those carries because we're ahead and burning clock?

In most of our games this season, we have rushed 30 times or more per game. More than a few of those games have been close, late-game, losses. Only the last two games were miserably bad in the rushing attempts category (less than 20 vs Patriots, less than 25 vs Ravens).

That said, when you look at the rushing effectiveness by looking at YPC from this past game, you do have to wonder why we didn't go with it more. It's just not a matter of the raw numbers, but more a situational thing - such as has been pointed out with how we handled things at the end of the first half.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
⁰2 wins in the new Deshaun Era.
He is worth 3 number 1s and 2 number 2s

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Meanwhile......

Panthers QB Baker Mayfield will be available in Week 8 vs. Falcons
share tweet email

Anthony Rizzuti follow
October 26, 2022 4:00 pm ET

Carolina Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield began his 2022 season on a mission to prove the NFL wrong. But now, it looks as though he’ll have to prove his own team wrong, too.

Mayfield, who is apparently healthy enough to play for the first time since sustaining a high-ankle sprain back in Week 5, will still not be getting the start against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday. Interim head coach Steve Wilks told reporters that Mayfield ran with the second and scout teams during Wednesday’s practice and should be in uniform for Week 8.

“Yes,” he replied when asked if Mayfield would be active for the upcoming NFC South matchup. “Sam [Darnold] is still on his progression of his 21 days. And, definitely, Baker should be available on Sunday.”

Considering he was inactive in the last two outings, Mayfield will assume the backup role for the first time in Carolina—something Wilks later stated he was okay with.

“He understood exactly where we were going this week,” he said of conversation with his quarterbacks. “Knows his role and he was fine with that.”

Where they’re going this week will see PJ Walker under center once again. After a muffled performance in Los Angeles, Walker bounced back with an eye-opening Week 7 showing in the upset win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers—connecting on 16 of his 22 throws for 177 yards and two touchdowns.

Unfortunately for Mayfield, he couldn’t make the most out of his five games thus far—mustering up 962 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions while completing what is currently a career-low 54.9 percent of his passes. So, time will tell if there’s a game No. 6 in his future.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/26/panthers-qb-baker-mayfield-pj-walker-week-8-falcons/

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's great. It appears the only one who really cares anymore at this point is you. But let's look at the Browns current QGB shall we? You know the "team you support".

After starting the season on a positive note — a 2-1 record, a 66.3% completion rate, and four touchdowns to one interception — the wheels have fallen off the last four games. Brissett is 0-4 as the starter and has a 61.1% completion rate and two TD to four INTs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...mp;cvid=150b1231d1ea4d86ab61800041abcbfe

Sadly he is still the Browns starter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
O
Legend
Legend
O
But he protects the ball.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by shotty66
I think that losing the 2 Maliks in the middle of the DL contributes to Chubb not getting 20 carries a game.
YA.
it's complicated, , actually not really, pretty simple if you consider it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Why is this still a thing?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: bbrowns32
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by lampdogg

It appears there is only one deranged person who really cares anymore at this point. But hey, let's keep the hatred on the front burner rather than look at the Browns current situation. You know, our team that's stinking up the field on a weekly basis.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

I wish you would make comments like that when others hijack threads w/insults and lies.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
rofl rofl Now he's a victim of his very own actions.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I wish you would make comments like that when others hijack threads w/insults and lies.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L

Sometimes I do, but it’s never planned. I don’t spend a lot of time getting into board fights, cuz it’s a time-waster.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That's fine..........but, at least I talk football almost all the time. They talk personalities. Think about that for just a moment.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'll say one thing on the subject matter. Bakers' stats the last 2 years and Jacoby's stats are similar, but Jacoby just LOOKS better.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Brisket is starting until Watson gets back, period.

Who actually gives a damn what is happening with Mayfield?

Legend
Legend
JB is so up and down, but he really had himself a game last night!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
A ton of people do. Thus, all the personal insults.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bird
Brisket is starting until Watson gets back, period.

Who actually gives a damn what is happening with Mayfield?

One person. He uses it as a tool to be in constant martyr-mode. And induce what he likes to call "attacks by bullies", just like this post right here. After a while I realized that he enjoys this so much that I am actually providing a public service... 'cuz if he ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. You're welcome.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Jacoby was 17 of 22, which equates to 77.3 completion percentage. This follows his 81.% percentage last week in Baltimore. He threw for 278 yards last night, w/a 12.6 average per attempt. That is an outstanding number. He threw for a TD and ran for another. He did not have an interception or a fumble. His QBR was 81.3, which is great. His rating was 133.7, which is also very high.

Meanwhile, Baker Mayfield was benched in favor of PJ Walker.

For those of you who keep questioning the point of the thread, go back to the original post and read the comments that steve made. Combine that w/all the BS from the Fabulous Baker Boys all offseason and you'll have your answer. If you are offended by the comparison, don't freaking read it.

Back to Jacoby. The guy has had a couple of poor games, but he has actually played very well this season. Far above anyone's expectations, including my own. Certainly far better than those who repeatedly claimed that Baker was a superior qb. His PFF ranking is 8th best in the league at 77.5, which is close to elite.

Meanwhile, Baker is 38th out of 38 ranked qbs by PFF and his QBR is 33rd out of 33 ranked qbs.

Maybe it's time for some of you to admit how freaking wrong you were?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
rofl

Legend
Legend

*Digs for Josh Rosen stats*

R
Legend
Legend
R

I'm going to assume the question means how wrong they were about Baker.

I'm a little surprised, not entirely but a little, that there hasn't been one from that group that has just come out and said they got it wrong.

It's probably because you keep rubbing their noses in it so they are going to keep digging their heels in, but if you were looking for overwhelming evidence that he is not a good QB it's there. Yet no acknowledgement at all.

I get being loyal to a guy, but this is just plain dumb.

Legend
Legend
Who is "that group", Rish??

It seems like it's some mysterious "clan" whose presence you two hold way too close to your heart.

Why don't you guys make a list? That way everyone can come here single-file and beg forgiveness for their sins... and bow to the Gods of all football knowledge.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You know his reply is certainly an odd one. He claims he has many of what he calls "The Baker Boys" on ignore. So how the hell would he know what they have or have not posted? So either he doesn't have them on ignore and does know what they are posting which would mean he's a liar or he does have them on ignore and has no idea what they have said. Take your pick. I know I posted how much better Carolina has played since they replaced Baker and the HC. How much each of those moves played independently in and of themselves is anyone's guess but my guess would be the team didn't believe in either of them. But how would he know that? And there is no doubt that Brissett has had games including the one last night where he has shined. He also had a stretch of games where he played miserably. Overall he certainly played better than Baker did this year. But as has been noted, the only one who seems to care is Vers.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jacoby was 17 of 22, which equates to 77.3 completion percentage. This follows his 81.% percentage last week in Baltimore. He threw for 278 yards last night, w/a 12.6 average per attempt. That is an outstanding number. He threw for a TD and ran for another. He did not have an interception or a fumble. His QBR was 81.3, which is great. His rating was 133.7, which is also very high.

Meanwhile, Baker Mayfield was benched in favor of PJ Walker.

For those of you who keep questioning the point of the thread, go back to the original post and read the comments that steve made. Combine that w/all the BS from the Fabulous Baker Boys all offseason and you'll have your answer. If you are offended by the comparison, don't freaking read it.

Back to Jacoby. The guy has had a couple of poor games, but he has actually played very well this season. Far above anyone's expectations, including my own. Certainly far better than those who repeatedly claimed that Baker was a superior qb. His PFF ranking is 8th best in the league at 77.5, which is close to elite.

Meanwhile, Baker is 38th out of 38 ranked qbs by PFF and his QBR is 33rd out of 33 ranked qbs.

As I previously posted: "Actually, if you're going to be so inclined to continue to beat up on a QB that isn't even here anymore, the least you could do is compare apples to apples instead of trying to prove your argument with pure trash. If you have to compare to satisfy your blatant hatred for the player, at least compare the replacement to the former's prior results before you get on here skipping through la la land like you proved something. The team as a whole has basically the same nucleus in 2020, 2021, and 2022. If you're hell bent on comparing Brissett's play to the former QB, at least compare it to whether we actually are getting better play or not on this team, the Cleveland Browns."

No one is interested in what is happening to Mayfield in Carolina. The point of your preseason posts was and has been that with Mayfield gone the Browns would get better safer QB play from Brissett than when Mayfield was here. Again, the stats tell a completely different story than what you are trying to sell on this forum.

Updated Results through 8-games:
Brissett 2022 Browns - 3 wins, 5 losses - 163/255, 63.9% - 1862 yards - 7 TD's - 5 INT's - 94.6 QB Rating - 16 sacks - 5 fumbles
Mayfield 2021 Browns - 4 wins, 4 losses - 136/204, 66.7% - 1699 yards - 6 TD's - 3 INT's - 102.0 QB Rating - 22 sacks - 4 fumbles (played injured for 6 of 8 games)
Mayfield 2020 Browns - 5 wins, 3 losses - 137/223, 61.4% - 1514 yards - 15 TD's - 7 INT's - 103.0 QB Rating - 11 sacks - 1 fumble

When you compare apples to apples instead of skewing the numbers, the Cleveland Browns are "NOT" getting better QB play at the position compared to the last 2-years as you so stated in your opinion. If fact, the injured Baker has outperformed Brissett in the categories you deemed so vitally important, and an uninjured Mayfield is significantly better. That doesn't mean that the position will not be upgraded with Watson but that's a different story.

Once you get the Carolina Panthers out of your head and do a real comparison - you'll understand that you were incorrect in your opinion and should probably admit you were wrong. I won't hold my breath though.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
He claims he has many of what he calls "The Baker Boys" on ignore. So how the hell would he know what they have or have not posted? So either he doesn't have them on ignore and does know what they are posting which would mean he's a liar or he does have them on ignore and has no idea what they have said. Take your pick.

That's the weird part. He'll go through the act of predicting what was said and asking other posters to tell him if he's wrong. He'll whine about others quoting "bullies" posts and actually have the gall to ask them not to quote... as if each post is poison and someone is pouring it down his throat. He even went so far as to say someone from here was texting him and telling him what was being posted in an effort to reinforce some meaningless "fact" that he doesn't read the posts.

Yet, somehow, he always know what everyone is posting.

Twilight Zone material for sure.

2 members like this: mgh888, PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's really simple. The guy is a fake. A bully. Constantly cries victim while doing all the things he says others do, but he instigates and does it more. Currently his new trend is exactly what u and Put highlighted - unable to keep other posters names out of his mouth, calling them liars and spreaders of misinformation.... Now covering a group claiming the love Baker more than the Browns. Oh and the new telling posters not to pay any attention to what others say football-wise because he knows more than anyone on the board. Some find a way to ignore all that, others find it so narcissistic and nauseating they comment on his consistent hypocrisy.

As for Brissett and Baker. Brissett played a very good game last night. Play calling actually helped too, when playing with a big lead instead of playing not to lose as KS has done forever, he called a couple big plays on 2nd and medium downs. The big 53 yard completion to Cooper a fine example.

Talking of Cooper, when we sign d him I said he's the best WR we've had since the return .... The self proclaimed football god disagreed. Said he was old and on a downward trend.i think we can all agree after watching his route running, catching, toe tapping and separating... Cooper is the best WR we've had since the return.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Vers, I was wrong about Brissett. He's only 3/4s as bad as I thought he was. But Baker, a healthy baker with WRs who didn't quit on the team, was much better. Stats are for losers. And it's painfully apparent he was not the issue. This team has deep disturbing issues top down.

I was also wrong about you. You're not really the fountain of football knowledge you pretend to be. I think you are very knowledgeable, but by not understanding the basics of being human, you choke on the intricacies of the human element in Football. And even though you do such a good job of dealing with those relationships here on the board, the NFL version of that is beyond your reach. Not your fault, but it detracts from anyone taking you seriously.

Legend
Legend
I disagree. Josh Gordon was by far the best WR we've had since the return, but... you know...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
I disagree. Josh Gordon was by far the best WR we've had since the return, but... you know...

You got a great point.

He (JG) was the most talented WR I've seen in a Browns Uni. He was the most naturally gifted "footballer" I've ever seen in the flesh. I can remember being at games watching warm ups - and he literally jumped out at you - the way he moved, the ease with which he did literally anything. That'd be his 2013 season when he could have literally been anything he wanted. I imagine that watching someone like Von Miller or Aaron Donald warm up might be similar. Maybe JaMarr Chase looks as good?

The problem is he never applied himself and he had his own very fierce demons. I've always wished the guy well and wanted him to find a way to make his talent work, preferable as a Brown but wherever he went. But that clearly hasn't happened. Wherever he ends up I hope he finds peace because the way it looks is he may be the type of player we hear about in another 5 years and he's dead or incarcerated.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Josh Gordon could have been the best of all time.

3 members like this: 3rd_and_20, FATE, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
And it's painfully apparent he was not the issue.

Just on this one issue - I think after the injury and tensions wore on with Baker playing badly, and then the Pittsburgh game where KS called back to back to back plays with a 3rd string rookie RT one on one with TJ Watt (and the predictable result) . . . I think the bridge and relationship was broken. I thought it could be fixed but clearly not. I think Baker and his struggles with maturity were part of that problem and he doesn't get to skate away blame free.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/01/22 08:07 PM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Josh Gordon. You know, a lot of the same posters who make up the Fabulous Baker Boys were huge Gordon fans and resorted to personal attacks against those who questioned Gordon's commitment to the game and his dependability. I remember them making excuse after excuse for him and blaming everyone but Josh, himself. One guy wanted to start a campaign to fire Goodell......LOL. Man, they were brutal and they still are.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't remember that far back, but Josh Gordon is one of the best football players I've ever seen.

It's a shame he didn't have a better head on his shoulders. Could have been special.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yep, 100 million dollar talent and 10 cent head.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Josh Gordon. You know, a lot of the same posters who make up the Fabulous Baker Boys were huge Gordon fans and resorted to personal attacks against those who questioned Gordon's commitment to the game and his dependability. I remember them making excuse after excuse for him and blaming everyone but Josh, himself. One guy wanted to start a campaign to fire Goodell......LOL. Man, they were brutal and they still are.

I'd say this is a flat out lie and total distortion of what anyone said. Josh and his drug abuse was well documented. Some wished him well and wanted him to succeed, some wanted him cut and burnt for his transgressions. No-one said the problems weren't real and damn serious. Oh - and no-one blamed anyone but Josh for what Josh did ... that is probably the biggest lie in that post.

Josh DID get a further suspension for drinking while suspended but after the season was over, on a flight to vegas with Manziel and a Coach ... that has nothing to do with JG and his drug abuse problem. If that incident had some posters also blaming Johnny and the coach, it wasn't anything to do with absolving him from drug abuse and what he was suspended for.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/01/22 08:48 PM.

Legend
Legend

Oh no... here comes the boogeyman.

[Linked Image from media0.giphy.com]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
And it's painfully apparent he was not the issue.

Just on this one issue - I think after the injury and tensions wore on with Baker playing badly, and then the Pittsburgh game where KS called back to back to back plays with a 3rd string rookie RT one on one with TJ Watt (and the predictable result) . . . I think the bridge and relationship was broken. I thought it could be fixed but clearly not. I think Baker and his struggles with maturity were part of that problem and he doesn't get to skate away blame free.

I don't agree with the immaturity thing because it is more a matter of opinion than fact, period. But, I'm definitely not saying Baker had no fault in last season. For one, I think he should have bowed out and put himself on year-ending IR about 3 games after being injured. And he definitely should have after OBJ's stunt, if not before. Secondly, he played like crap down the stretch and wasn't smart enough to know his limits. This made him look horrible and sometimes much worse than the stats said. And this was used in the arguments against him playing here. But I also watched all the other aspects of the team, unlike OBJ defenders, who seemed to focus solely on Baker which led to the weekly growing chorus to replace him. And I saw lots of things wrong beyond Baker every game last year. Nobody seems to remember those, even though several have reared their heads this year already, especially Woods. But the baker hate kept building and those same fans who were singing his praises and planning their playoff game trips before the opener last year were openly hating on him. He went from a guy people were hoping to build a statue for to becoming a pariah and persona non grata during the offseason. And I don't give a damn what anybody says, the Browns treated bad, IMO very bad. The calls to replace baker were all but nonexistent before OBJ's daddy posted that crap.

So, no, I'm not saying he's blame-free. I'm saying that he was not the issue.

My strongest thoughts on all of the Baker drama are simple. Baker played very well for us at times and for games. He won a bunch of games, including the ever-so-rare playoff game! We all saw those games. So, tell me how a guy like that who at worse flashes top-5 frequently suddenly can't play and is a total bum without the whole situation being a COACHING ISSUE? I'm kind of stuck there.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/01/22 11:02 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
To your last comment - I watched a couple of Baker games this year and he was truly very very bad. Worse than even his Freddie Kitchens year for the Browns and worse than when injured. But the entire Panther's also grossly under performed, see the change when Rhule was fired. It was instant. No idea if Baker will get another game this year - the talk on the radio here the moment Rhule was fired was about fire-sale and getting draft picks in order to attract a quality HC/GM .... AND a couple of radio hosts talked about how not starting Baker and preventing triggering the clause for a higher draft pick was an obvious no brainer. PJ Walker has played ok after a bad first game and he's been announced the starter ... if he continues to progress Baker probably won't see action unless it's thru injury.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Better w/Brissett or Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard