Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I could not find anywhere else to put this, so I put here because we run the ball a lot. A lot of football shows are filled w/fluff, but this was actually an educational and enlightening discussion on the continued evolution of NFL offenses and defenses. No hot takes. No controversy. Just football talk w/good data to back up their claims.

Very, very good video. I've watched it twice to absorb it all. Thanks for posting.

Some near-shocking statistics from this season...

League wide average per reception ~ 11.0 Lowest since 1933

League wide average per rushing attempt ~ 4.5 Highest in NFL history

League wide scoring average 21.6 points ~ Lowest since 2008

Something that occurred to me... With some of these trends, the NCAA becomes the tail that wags the dog (NFL).

It's one thing when certain coaches 'copy' things going on in the NCAA; it's quite another when trends at that level influence the recruiting process to the point to where it changes the type of athlete available to be drafted to the next level. I won't go into detail, it's all in the must-watch video.

Marcus Spears and Mina Kimes (pigskin genius) do a great job explaining it all. The short of it all is this: in a race to find more speed and athletic players at every level of the defense, most of these players have become more long and rangy; less girth, size and brawn. Space-eaters are gone, defensive linemen are 30-50lbs lighter. These dudes are not built to be punched in the face thirty times per game.

The tail wags the dog, but eventually the dog shakes it off. "Now that we have all these DLs and LBs that are so light in the trousers, let's punch them in the mouth".

Defenses have way more answers for coverage, but let's see if that nickel-back wants to try to tackle Nick Chubb twelve times. Defensive physicality is a shell of what it was ten years ago.

Power and counter runs (and their success rate) are through the roof the last two seasons.

Marcus Spears on powers and counters in his playing days -- "We were built to play powers and counters; if you could not stop them, you are going to lose the game!"

So now we have offenses reacting to how defenses reacted to how offenses reacted. The constant cat and mouse game persists, but really -- the more things change, the more they stay the same. As an offense, if you can go out and win in the trenches, out-physical the opponent, and run the ball; you're going to win more often than you lose. If you don't have answers for that on defense?? You'll likely have some long Sunday afternoons.

This is exactly what we're seeing with the Browns defense and the way it's constructed right now.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yikes.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I like Myles, but why in the hell would he say that? He's made other comments that were similar in nature. Keep it behind closed doors. Jesus!

Legend
Legend
I agree.

As much as Wood's comments made me laugh in disgust, Myles is way off base imo. It's either way too much information or a direct dig at the coaches and staff, take your pick. That said, he has a tendency to be very blunt and I'm sure what he's saying is 100% true.

But then again, let's look back a month....

So either we are waaay too easy, the Dolphins staff is next level, or it's the combination of the two that led to a prolific ass-whoopin'.

#themorethingschange...

Legend
Legend
Just thinking out loud.

IMO defenses have to be unpredictable. I don't think you can line up pre-snap and away you go. You have to create confusion.

It is not just the quarterback who needs to have doubt. Typically the center is making calls for blocking assignments. There are players at every position making reads. Every player has an assignment and all are looking for tells.

How you play on defense is about how you match-up in personnel as well

.This week it was revealing to listen to the comments of Joe Woods and Myles. In essence both said they were exploited by the Dolphins. Credit to McDaniels and his staff. At the same time Woods did nothing to counter. When a team on offense does not punt all game. You are a failure.

It was like almost every offensive play was successful. In the Woods thread I went into how I believe we got to this place. And there is blame to go around.

At the same time over the last three years the defense under Woods as had way to many melt downs and really piss poor overall terrible games.

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Woods is going to get fired. However, laying so much of the blame on him is a fool's errand. There are bigger problems than our defensive scheme. Bank it.

1 member likes this: mac
Legend
Legend
In the Woods thread I made it clear it is not all on him.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wasn't calling you out or anything. You are one of the few guys I can read w/interest because you talk football and not agenda. Just saying that when I watch the breakdowns on tape and even during games.......I see a lot more issues w/player error or just plain suckiness. Everyone knows about our DTs, but Delpit absolutely sucks in coverage. JOK sucks at tackling and doesn't get deep enough drops. We don't have one safety who is good in coverage. Our LBers are substandard. The entitlement thing looks real to me. And when I say entitlement........I am not talking about how so many young players seem entitled in the league. Instead, I am talking about they were handed their jobs w/out earning them. That's on the GM.

Legend
Legend
I think in the case of the DT's. It was completely misjudged. That is on Berry but also Stefanski and Woods.

Berry believes in collaboration. I think it is part of the culture they have tried to foster.

I disagree about JOK. I have seen him make plenty of open field tackles. At times he will shoot a gap and miss. But he does not miss in the flat one on one.

I agree the safety play has been poor. Although I have seen improvement from Delpit tackling.

The problem I see is inconsistent plans on how to defense different teams. Players get beat. There is a lot of talent in the league.

Great offenses are going to score. But you can not go an entire game like the Dolphins and get gashed up the middle. We gave up 198 yards to nobodies.

Damn put more guys in the box. If you know the weakness is at tackle. Have a plan to compensate.

The players we have on defense are not as bad as the results have been. Hell in 2020 we had a terrible secondary and played better.

Changes needed in defense include both coaches and players.

R
Legend
Legend
R
All these comments on Woods and the defense...and things Myles said...are an indictment on Stefanski not Woods.

He is supposed to be leading a team. He's supposed to prioritize winning. He prioritizes calling plays. His players don't play for him. He is one of the worst head coaches in the league who just wasted another year of players careers and our fandom.

I can't wait until he is gone. He is exactly what this team doesn't need.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I can't wait until he is gone.

If you were a real man, you'd put that in your sig. j/s

R
Legend
Legend
R
Could you imagine Stefanski's record without Chubb?

He's just the worst of the worst.

Legend
Legend
Could you imagine Stefanski's record without Chubb?

4-3 so far...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'll add that Browns fans are so used to losing that they'll root for a loser.

Someone, anyone, tell me what Stefanski did to earn the Browns head coaching job and what he has done to retain it. If the answers are all about the offense, you haven't answered the question.

Come on fans, demand more. Don't settle for mediocrity and incompetence because he caught lightning in a bottle one season. Because he has a super star RB that makes him look like a .500 coach instead of the below .500 coach he is.

Trust your eyes. Demand more.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the Browns decide to hang on to this bum, imagine what Watson will be saying when he realizes he won't be leading the league in passing with Stefanski and they start losing. People think Watson was bad in Houston - wait until he's throwing 20-30% less than he's normally used to throwing and still losing. The whole staff will get wacked mid-season.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
If the Browns decide to hang on to this bum, imagine what Watson will be saying when he realizes he won't be leading the league in passing with Stefanski and they start losing. People think Watson was bad in Houston - wait until he's throwing 20-30% less than he's normally used to throwing and still losing. The whole staff will get wacked mid-season.

Everyone will get fired because we have Chubb and Hunt?

You guys are off the rails.

2 members like this: bonefish, ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Everyone will get fired because we have Chubb and Hunt?

You guys are off the rails.

I believe the 'logic' behind the argument is that we will be losing, Watson won't be happy to be losing and he will be even less happy that (because of the KS scheme) his passing and TD stats etc will be low. Ergo he will force a change at HC. To posts by Pit recently - Stefanski's tenure at CLE will depend largely on how happy Watson is.

The two fundamentals to this thought process [1] We will continue to lose because KS is not a great head coach no matter how good he is as an OC [2] We will continue to be a run heavy team.

I think Watson **should** be a big enough difference maker that we win and go to the playoffs no matter what in 2023. I think Stefanksi has shown a repeated tendency to get pass happy rather than run happy when we struggle. So while I doubt Watson has 5000 yards or 45+ TDs with KS, I think we might see much more passing. Making a deep play off push will depend on much more.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/19/22 08:47 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
I can't wait until he is gone.

If you were a real man, you'd put that in your sig. j/s

I believe that sigs should be more subtle and nuanced than that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: Jester, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by steve0255

Don't worry. watson will have six games to play for Stefanski as HC this season. At seasons end I'm sure he will decide if he wants to work with Stefanski moving forward and will let Haslam know whether he should keep Stefanski or not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you are probably right. Watson will be the one to decide at season's end if stefanski is here in 2023 or not.

Last edited by Jester; 11/19/22 12:36 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Actually, Stefanski will decide if he is here next year or not. And he's not making a very good case for himself.

The Browns might, MIGHT, get to five wins. The team has quit, and there is nothing to play for. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Stefanski, who has gotten worse every year and appears to be clueless on how to lead a team.

The absolute worst thing the organization can do for Stefanski is dismiss his incompetence and blame it all on Woods. Dismissing and shifting accountability is a huge problem with this organization as is babying players like Garrett who develop a sense of entitlement and take no responsibility for anything.

Stefanski has made his own bed. I know what I would do. I would not trust the franchise with him moving forward.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Who do you replace him with? You know what you would do... the first part which is getting rid of KS ... what about the more important part?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think you move forward with a guy who isn't the answer just because you haven't found his replacement yet. You go through the process. A couple of names I like are Flores and Demeco Ryans. We preach tough, smart, accountable...which is laughable. I would like to go the tough coach route for once. I think both of those guys fit the bill.

Hopefully back channels are being exercised right now to sort some of this out.

Let me ask you this ... based on what you've seen over the 2.5 years so far, do you feel comfortable trusting this franchise to Stefanski just because he hasn't had a chance to work with Watson yet? That is nuts to me.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you trust this franchise to actually find and hire a capable NFL HC to replace Stefanski? Before you answer that I request you look at their track record.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Do you trust this franchise to actually find and hire a capable NFL HC to replace Stefanski? Before you answer that I request you look at their track record.

No. That's why we'll trust Watson to find him.

3 members like this: MemphisBrownie, FrankZ, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I have lost faith in KS.

I will wait till the end of the season before making a 'decision' (not that my decision has any impact, just an opinion). But I agree - due diligence would be to have 2 or 3 targets identified. From what I know of Flores - I could get behind that. He was let go from Miami because he wouldn't lose as he was told to! But I don't know who is viable and who would be good.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It will be a tough job but somebody has to to do it.

naughtydevil

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

The Browns are probably doomed as long as the Haslams are the owners. And their love affair with Depo is damaging to the organization. Depo may depart at some point, but obviously the Haslams aren't going anywhere. As a matter of fact they are probably prepping the idiot son-in-law to take over when they step away.

Haslam's love affair with Depo is bad for the organization. The best GM we've had here since the return was Dorsey. Guy went after it. Prioritized winning. He got into a pissing contest with Depo and hired Kitchens out of spite. It was his undoing. Bad move for him.

Dorsey's guardrails were to win and he took some massive swings to achieve that.

Legend
Legend
Easy to take "massive swings" when you have more assets than anyone in the history of sports.

Depo supplies the info, he doesn't tell Haslam or anyone else what to do with it.

Dorsey got into a pissing contest with Depo and hired Kitchens out of spite? Thank god we kept the right dude. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes things have gone swimmingly well since then. saywhat

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well, let's see... Dorsey had the #1 pick, #4 pick, 5 picks in the top 67 (would have been six but we traded the #1 in the 3rd for Tyrod, the QB that started three games).

NINE picks in 2018... we have Nick Chubb and Hospital Ward to show for it. Then he traded the #1 in 2019 for the poster-child of primadonna WRs, along with Jabrill Peppers -- a player that's still playing solid, physical football for the Patriots. Not that this team needs any physicality.

If your going to talk swimmingly, at least talk about how we ended up in deep waters.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The best GM we've had here since the return was Dorsey.

Lolz.

This is the same GM who drafted Baker, a guy you hate and showcase said hate just a tad. The guy who chose Austin Corbitt over Nick Chubb just picks apart (thank goodness the prior regime got an extra pick from the Osweiler deal). A guy who took Mayfield over Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. The guy who gave up a first rounder for OBJ, his wildly overpaid contract and consistent injuries. The guy who wanted to keep Freddie Kitchens.

I could go on.....

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
What does the "z" mean in "Lolz". I've never known that.

Sure he had some misses, but not all of them are what you listed. Corbett has been a solid starter in this league for years. OBJ was not a miss. Baker was a miss, and OBJ couldn't stand playing with him.

If the best GM since the return is not Dorsey, who is it then?

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's easily Andrew Berry, IMO, until Watson proves to be a fail. We all know his ceiling as a QB and we've never sniffed that in terms of a franchise QB. He landed him even after Watson ruled CLE out at first, allegedly.

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Milk Man, FATE
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Dorsey..the guy who built the team that went 11-5, made the playoffs and actually won a playoff game.

The claim to fame for Haslam, Depo, Berry and Stefanski...they road the coattails of man most responsible for the talent on that 2000 playoff team.

How many times have the Browns made the playoffs since he left the Browns..?

If Haslam and his Harvard boys prove that their analytics ways produce enough WINS as in making the playoffs...I will be one of the first to give them credit.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: EveDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
For someone who claims Depo has so much control over this team since he joined, why not give him credit for building the team that made the playoffs?

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Dorsey should be flogged for drafting Baker #1 and thrown into a nest of barbed wire for getting fleeced by Dave Gettleman.

We sat through 1-31 for a guy that shaved 3x on game day in a loss to Denver culminating in himself looking like John Candy in his postgame presser.

This fan base has been through some things.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Dorsey was such a charlatan that KC fired him a couple months AFTER they drafted Patrick Mahomes realizing Brett Veach was the reason for the Mahomes intel.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the best GM since the return is not Dorsey, who is it then?

Sashi Brown

….I’m only saying him because I’m in the mood to watch the board argue for the next 5 pages of how good/bad he was. naughtydevil

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard