Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
superbowldogg #1990990 12/06/22 03:48 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
The combined record of the teams we beat is 24-35. Not exactly giving confidence to the idea of beating Miami, Buffalo or KC in the playoffs, or Dallas, Philly, San Fran in a SB.

Finish out the year with Watson so we are ready to go next season. Don't want to spend the first 5 weeks next season knocking off the rust.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
mac #1991003 12/06/22 04:51 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
For all of those words you still have no credible reason why Brissett should remain the starter.

pit...as simple as I can state...Brissett is our best qb...

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

PitDAWG #1991020 12/06/22 05:13 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jesus man. You think the current team with about an 8% chance of even making the playoffs should risk the readiness of next season which if watson has these six games under his belt could very well compete for a SB. You somehow think that a team with no chance to win a SB this season should risk next season when they very well may have.

So no matter how you slice it, your scenario makes no sense. It seems your real issue is you somehow think it would be better to try and win in a season that's already lost than invest in winning next year when it may actually matter. Let me explain it to you this way. They paid watson a 230 mil. guaranteed contract. If he doesn't play now to shake off the rust he will be where he is now if not worse at the beginning of next season. So according to your logic, they shouldn't start him next year either. Because you know, with all that rust he won't be ready to play next year either, right? Come on man.

The part that baffles me is that where is the guarantee that after playing 6-games and then being off 7-8 additional months that the rust won't still be there? I'm not trying to cause an argument; I just would like to know the basis for the opinion.

1. Watson did not play for 700 days. Being rusty would be expected but by all beliefs, he never lost the skill set. What makes anyone think that after playing 6-games that the rust will suddenly be gone and then - gulp - stay gone for the next 7-8 months as he's doing nothing game wise to stay sharp?

2. Being the new way the preseason is set, getting up to speed or game ready has been a complaint by many QB's because of the lack of real game snaps. Are we to assume that Watson will not have those growing pains as other QB's have pointed out because he played these 6-games?

3. Counting the off season, Watson will have actual live game experience over a 6-week period (35 days) and no on the field live snaps for what would be 914 days the last 2 plus years though not consecutive. Am I to understand that the consensus is that these 6-weeks of live play will eliminate any issues of rust at the beginning of 2023?

4. Finally, according to FloridaFan: "The combined record of the teams we beat is 24-35. Not exactly giving confidence to the idea of beating Miami, Buffalo or KC in the playoffs, or Dallas, Philly, San Fran in a SB." That exact same thought process was used last year with the Bengals and they proved the nay sayers wrong. With 5-games to go with still a possibility of making the playoffs and not playing the players that give you the best opportunity to win right now because you are looking forward to the next season is sending an awful message to the other 52 players on the roster that have been busting their butts for the last 12-13- weeks. JMHO, the Browns are opening the door for a whole lot of off-season issues by bailing on 2022 because no matter of much everyone wants to assume a 2023 SB run, there's a lot of things out of the Browns control that could derail that quickly. That is why you need to win when you can because there's zero guarantees going forward. The players absolutely know this - the HC/FO should listen because ditching any opportunity for the post season will cause irreparable harm to the team nucleus.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
PitDAWG #1991021 12/06/22 05:14 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Jesus man. You think the current team with about an 8% chance of even making the playoffs should risk the readiness of next season which if watson has these six games under his belt could very well compete for a SB. You somehow think that a team with no chance to win a SB this season should risk next season when they very well may have.

pit...so you believe there is nothing wrong with risking the only chance the other 52 men on the Browns roster have at making the playoffs so that 1 guy can get more "practice reps" in...this after Watson played much worse than anyone could have imagined, earning himself a QBR of 28.5, going against a 1 win team. Kind of sounds like some are in a "panic".

Nothing like having the owner, management and coaching staff QUIT ON the other 52 men on the roster...that sure paints the Browns franchise as top shelf outfit, putting 1 players need for more "practice time" ahead of the sacrifices of the rest of his teammates, who are attempting to keep the teams playoff hopes alive.

Right now, Brissett is head and shoulders better than Watson and Brissett gives the Browns the best chance to remain in the playoff hunt. If the Browns lose with Brissett giving his teammates his best effort, then hand the ball to Watson and tell him to get to work. That would be the best decision the Browns could be make, putting winning first and showing respect for the efforts of the entire team over the need for Watson getting more practice time.

Also, this idea that if Watson doesn't play every snap of the remaining games...he won't be able to lead the Browns to the Super Bowl win next year...you are stuck somewhere along the "yellow brick road" my friend.

...how much of what Watson learns during the last 5 games of this season do you believe he is going to retain once the 2022 season is over..?

Chances are pretty good that Stefanski is going to have a brand new playbook for Watson to learn when the 2023 seasons begins.

Most football coaches..the good ones that is...believe in promoting team needs over individual needs...by a large margin. Don't you wonder why that is..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1991027 12/06/22 05:22 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think those in charge of this team have to make the best decision in terms of the future of this team. Being short sighted as you seem to be would be the costliest decision moving forward. The "team needs" as you put it is this team establishing a franchise QB. That's exactly what they're making their top priority. There will be no "new playbook". Only an expanded playbook based on watson's abilities. You keep using the same arguments that would only regress the Browns ability to compete next year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mac #1991028 12/06/22 05:24 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by mac

pit...so you believe there is nothing wrong with risking the only chance the other 52 men on the Browns roster have at making the playoffs so that 1 guy can get more "practice reps" in...this after Watson played much worse than anyone could have imagined, earning himself a QBR of 28.5, going against a 1 win team. Kind of sounds like some are in a "panic".

Nothing like having the owner, management and coaching staff QUIT ON the other 52 men on the roster...that sure paints the Browns franchise as top shelf outfit, putting 1 players need for more "practice time" ahead of the sacrifices of the rest of his teammates, who are attempting to keep the teams playoff hopes alive.

Right now, Brissett is head and shoulders better than Watson and Brissett gives the Browns the best chance to remain in the playoff hunt. If the Browns lose with Brissett giving his teammates his best effort, then hand the ball to Watson and tell him to get to work. That would be the best decision the Browns could be make, putting winning first and showing respect for the efforts of the entire team over the need for Watson getting more practice time.

Also, this idea that if Watson doesn't play every snap of the remaining games...he won't be able to lead the Browns to the Super Bowl win next year...you are stuck somewhere along the "yellow brick road" my friend.

...how much of what Watson learns during the last 5 games of this season do you believe he is going to retain once the 2022 season is over..?

Chances are pretty good that Stefanski is going to have a brand new playbook for Watson to learn when the 2023 seasons begins.

Most football coaches..the good ones that is...believe in promoting team needs over individual needs...by a large margin. Don't you wonder why that is..?

I don't fully disagree, but to be fair, the other 52/53 players and coaches put themselves in the position of 4-7 before Watson came back. We could very easily be 6-5 or 7-4, but we also got blown out by a NE team that isn't good and lost close games to teams we should have beaten. We got beat by 22 coming off out bye week.

FloridaFan #1991029 12/06/22 05:25 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
The combined record of the teams we beat is 24-35. Not exactly giving confidence to the idea of beating Miami, Buffalo or KC in the playoffs, or Dallas, Philly, San Fran in a SB.

Finish out the year with Watson so we are ready to go next season. Don't want to spend the first 5 weeks next season knocking off the rust.

BEAT?!?!? Hell, I just want to see them get to a SB.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
steve0255 #1991031 12/06/22 05:32 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by steve0255
The part that baffles me is that where is the guarantee that after playing 6-games and then being off 7-8 additional months that the rust won't still be there? I'm not trying to cause an argument; I just would like to know the basis for the opinion.

There is no guarantee. Every player however faces the off season. They don't face the obstacle of not playing for 700 days.

1. Watson did not play for 700 days. Being rusty would be expected but by all beliefs, he never lost the skill set. What makes anyone think that after playing 6-games that the rust will suddenly be gone and then - gulp - stay gone for the next 7-8 months as he's doing nothing game wise to stay sharp?

I repeat, every player faces off seasons. Players do not face being off the field for 700 days. Those are two completely different things. As I said before, all you can do is give him some actual game speed work this year to help him become familiar in the O and with his WR's.

I'm not going to address your other points because it all actually boils down to one thing. The Browns went all in with watson with that contract. They are fully committed for the next four seasons. That's the reality whether one considers that a good thing or not. Doing everything they can to familiarize him with the speed of the game and familiarize him with this O and a connection to his WR's is an investment into next season. At this juncture there's really no other legitimate choice.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
3 members like this: Swish, FATE, lampdogg
PitDAWG #1991036 12/06/22 05:54 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed, and part of that future is the attitude of the other 52 players on the team. IMHO, the HC/FO are sending a horrible message to the team that Watson is more important than winning now. Especially when it's a fact that cannot be disputed that in less than 5 weeks from now, Watson will be on vacation without any ability to sharpen his skills in real game situations for 7-8 months or roughly 214 days. I'll go out on a limb and voice the opinion that whatever rust he's able to knock off these last 5-weeks will be back by August.

steve0255 #1991040 12/06/22 06:08 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

"rust" is just that: rust.

The announcers kept harping about "he's only been allowed to practice for 2 weeks.", as if he hasn't been able to work out, and throw the ball.

'Rust' is NOT throwing the ball into the grass 3 feet in front of the receiver, and that happened a lot on Sunday.

'Rust' could explain his int...........didn't see the d back. But 'rust' is NOT not being able to throw a ball. IF that's rust, dude was taking his time off way too leisurely.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
steve0255 #1991042 12/06/22 06:17 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think a parallel can be drawn, to the performance of Tiger Woods in tournamentz following his very public scandal involving many women, and Watson's very public scandal involving many women and Watson'z performance on the field, and if that's any indication, then DW won't be playing very well in the near future. frown.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
archbolddawg #1991045 12/06/22 06:21 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
'Rust' is NOT throwing the ball into the grass 3 feet in front of the receiver.
This

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
archbolddawg #1991069 12/06/22 08:19 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c...

The whole "start Brisset" argument is silly. If we've learned one thing at all this season, it is that QB was not, is not, and hasn't been the problem. Changing QB isn't the miracle fix that will get the Browns to the Playoffs.

Getting that defense to actually, I don't know, PLAY DEFENSE is what was, is, and has always been needed. People are acting like they just did something magical with the Texans, but they're literally the worst team in football. It is what a defense is supposed to do. The defensive scores are anomalies; this defense does not do that in the normal course of things; those were freak occurrences. Y'all had best not start thinking you're gonna see that every week. Same for that punt return.... seriously, when was the last one? Five, six years ago?? Was Cribbs the last one to run one back?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1991074 12/06/22 09:41 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Browns had 23-7 points. Only 6 on offense. And that's being generous as they were field goals.

archbolddawg #1991076 12/06/22 10:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns had 23-7 points. Only 6 on offense. And that's being generous as they were field goals.

I consider FG's as special teams not offense

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
archbolddawg #1991083 12/06/22 10:31 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
I think what I meant was the Browns scored 27 points total. 21 were d and special teams td's.

I don't know what the hell I posted.

But, yeah, "o" put up a total of 6 points - but in fairness, those were s.t. field goals.

archbolddawg #1991084 12/06/22 10:36 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think what I meant was the Browns scored 27 points total. 21 were d and special teams td's.

I don't know what the hell I posted.

But, yeah, "o" put up a total of 6 points - but in fairness, those were s.t. field goals.

Well Arch, this was a better post , you're finally getting it ! lol Arch you know I'm just kidding smile

PrplPplEater #1991086 12/06/22 10:43 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
....Same for that punt return.... seriously, when was the last one? Five, six years ago?? Was Cribbs the last one to run one back?

Travis Benjamin. 2015 vs the Titans.

Milk Man #1991110 12/07/22 08:37 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns may use Jacoby Brissett packages with Deshaun Watson's early struggles

By Aaron Becker | Last updated 12/6/22
link

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson looked pretty rusty in his first regular season game in 700 days. Does he give Cleveland the best chance to win right now?

Head coach Kevin Stefanski says Watson is still the team's quarterback, but we may be seeing quarterback Jacoby Brissett back on the field.

Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot
#Browns Kevin Stefanski said 'we'll see' about giving a package of plays to Jacoby Brissett but noted he was "a huge, huge help" during the game. Said he did exactly what he was supposed to do on his one snap
12:44 PM · Dec 5, 2022

Watson finished the game with 12 completions on 22 attempts for 131 yards and an interception. The Browns got the victory over his former team, but he accounted for zero of the Browns' 27 points in the Week 13 matchup.

Watson's return from his 11-game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy began with fans booing him before the offense's first snap.

It may be Watson is a little distracted by all of the outside noise. If time is what he needs, Brissett has proven he can step in when needed.

Teammates have shown lots of respect for the veteran quarterback. "Man, I love Jacoby, I think Jacoby's a hell of a teammate. One of the best I've ever had," Browns DE Jadeveon Clowney told reporters.

Camryn Justice
@camijustice
·
Follow
#Browns Jadeveon Clowney on Jacoby Brissett: "Man I love Jacoby, I think Jacoby's a hell of a teammate. One of the best teammates I've ever had."

Time will tell how the Browns will use the two quarterbacks, but there's no bad blood between the two.

"Jacoby was a big help on the sideline talking to me," Watson said after the game. "He said that's part of the game. That's knocking the rust off."

steve0255 #1991137 12/07/22 12:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me ask you a question, do you really believe the players think it's better to put off watson's development until next year for a chance to win a couple of more games this year? I mean really? Or do you think the players would rather invest these games into the possibility of winning a SB next year with a franchise QB at the helm? I think your logic on this topic is faulty.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1991140 12/07/22 12:17 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
At this point, next year is more important than the rest of this year. JMHO

Homewood Dog #1991144 12/07/22 12:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
The difference in opinion here seems to be that some wish to look at things with a microscope while others are using a telescope.

#gmstrong
Homewood Dog #1991150 12/07/22 12:35 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Dudes 5 wins 3 years
Nobody picked this guy up in a 20 qb league.
There better be alot people sweating.
Best year we may half to let a 85 rating db walk for
Nothing
A all pro center plus a all pro tackle this guy better be in the
Mahomes range or heads are going to roll.
They let Mayfield walk over a 85 rating coming off
26 td with 8 interceptions plus a playoff rating north
Of where my massage

jacksondawg #1991155 12/07/22 12:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
Dudes 5 wins 3 years
Nobody picked this guy up in a 20 qb league.
There better be alot people sweating.
Best year we may half to let a 85 rating db walk for
Nothing
A all pro center plus a all pro tackle this guy better be in the
Mahomes range or heads are going to roll.
They let Mayfield walk over a 85 rating coming off
26 td with 8 interceptions plus a playoff rating north
Of where my massage

Easy for you to say.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
PitDAWG #1991166 12/07/22 02:25 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Let me ask you a question, do you really believe the players think it's better to put off watson's development until next year for a chance to win a couple of more games this year? I mean really? Or do you think the players would rather invest these games into the possibility of winning a SB next year with a franchise QB at the helm? I think your logic on this topic is faulty.

I guess it can only be explained by the comments of Garrett. I would also expect that sooner or later we all will hear some more about this decision. The idea of building to 2023 for a single player doesn't bode well for guys like Clowney, Pocic, Hubbard, Harrison, Brissett, Bryan, Hunt, Greedy Williams, Takitaki, Winovich, Froholdt, D'Ernest Johnson, Brown, Walker and Conklin all of which are FA's in 2023. Add in the Garrett, Chubb, Botinio, Teller, and Cooper from the team, it would give the appearance that they will be suffering through another wasted season in their limited career where the poor QB decision in 2021 appears to be rearing its ugly head again in 2022. If Watson continues to struggle like he did in his first game, don't be surprised by the backlash.

This week, the level of competition upticks by 10-fold over last week. I hope that Watson shows improvement and does well but after last week, I'm not beaming with confidence.

mac #1991167 12/07/22 02:32 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns may use Jacoby Brissett packages with Deshaun Watson's early struggles

By Aaron Becker | Last updated 12/6/22
link

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson looked pretty rusty in his first regular season game in 700 days. Does he give Cleveland the best chance to win right now?

Head coach Kevin Stefanski says Watson is still the team's quarterback, but we may be seeing quarterback Jacoby Brissett back on the field.

Kinda sounds as if this subject about the franchise doing the right thing for all involved is a subject of discussion within the franchise...given Stefanski's comments.

Maybe some within the franchise feel as I do, that it would be wrong to simply dismiss the effort given by Watson's teammates, all season long, to keep this franchise alive for a potential playoff birth, only to watch some within the franchise simply flush those efforts and sacrifices down the toilet just to provide Watson with some more practice reps to knock the rust off.

I would enjoy seeing Watson improve his performance to the point where he actually helps his teammates achieve the team goals they established for themselves when this season started. But, let's not make the remainder of the season about just one man...make it about the team.

steve0255 #1991169 12/07/22 02:42 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you think a team that went 4-7 with Brissett as QB and were on the outer fringe of any form of playoff contention are now "wasting this season"? Hmmmm... I'd say that's a pretty big stretch of one's imagination.

#gmstrong
mac #1991170 12/07/22 02:43 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, let's kick that can down the road to next year so the team lessens its chances of success.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1991171 12/07/22 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Blah Blah Blah

I would love to see your face everytime Watson makes a positive play just for the shear joy of your hypocrosy.

I would love to send you a Watson jersey too.

SuperBrown #1991176 12/07/22 03:38 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If you wish to waste your money sending me a watson jersey, by all means do so. Your comprehension must be extremely low. I've actually been promoting watson remain the starter against those arguing that the team should still be starting Brissett. That by starting watson now it will be in the best interest of not only his development from all that time off but in the best interest of the team moving forward. But it's the kind of thing many have come to expect from you. You failed again Jr.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard