Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Yep, one of the first things I do when the Browns hire a coach...I look up the coaches history and record.

I'm a believer in..'experience'..and hiring a coaching staff that are 'experienced'...

In Cleveland, those doing the hiring (of coaches) don't seem to be impressed with 'experience'...plus, we have a Head Coach who doesn't seem to have any interest in the defensive side of the ball.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I'd like to see another DC at the helm and see if we can figure out who we have that is good for the future...the wash-rinse-repeat coaching of the current DC leaves me wondering who is a keeper and who is a fake-r.

Howard is the guy who would replace Woods.

How would that tell you anything?

Why would Howard have to be the default guy the replace Woods?

Most everything read over the last year or two is Howard was the key assistant on the defensive side of the ball.

It might not have had to be him, but it probably would have been him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Yep, one of the first things I do when the Browns hire a coach...I look up the coaches history and record.

I'm a believer in..'experience'..and hiring a coaching staff that are 'experienced'...

In Cleveland, those doing the hiring (of coaches) don't seem to be impressed with 'experience'...plus, we have a Head Coach who doesn't seem to have any interest in the defensive side of the ball.

I don't buy that. Woods has had a lot of experience. He just isn't good.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I think Woods was a hot black candidate and us hiring him was as much about him being here as a DC, then hired away to be a head coach for which I think we might get a draft pick.

As for experience, what works for you? Are you looking for guys who have been DC all over the league? That could be important, or it could mean the guy can't hold the job anywhere.

I hope we consider Jim leohnard. He is light, if having any NFL coaching experience, but he has done a great job in college, and he did play in the NFL 10 or so years. I think being a former player is valuable experience that can override having a lot of actual nfl coaching experience.

It would be interesting to see who Leohnard played for over his career...head coaches, DC's, and defensive position coaches. He obviously learned from those people. He wasn't born a good defensive coordinator.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Browns defense: Man vs zone coverage numbers might surprise you
The Browns are very good in zone coverage

By JaredMueller@JaredKMueller Dec 16, 2022, 7:26am EST 1 Comment / 1 New

For some fans, all that matters is that the Cleveland Browns are 5-8 and all but eliminated from the NFL playoffs. For those fans, the last month of the season will be spent only bemoaning what could have been, should have been and wondering what changes will be made.

For other fans, understanding the specifics about the team will stay important despite the record.

The Browns defense has been the biggest talking point most of the season. The team didn’t make it better with DB coach Jeff Howard’s ridiculous statement on Thursday.

One of the bigger talking points around the defense has been the coverages that they use. While overly simplified, zone vs man has become the new “3-4 vs 4-3 defense” discussion. Many fans believe that man defense, getting up in the receiver’s face and taking one on one responsibility is both the best way to play defense and the best for Cleveland’s defensive backs.

Whether it is because of the preference of DC Joe Woods or what the analytic data says, the Browns have been playing much more zone defense than man. While that may not be surprising, what might be is how much better the team is in zone:

Vikings, Falcons, Rams, and Lions are the only teams giving up more than 8 yards per attempt in zone and man coverages. pic.twitter.com/VTrQNGtpcd

— Amr Gabr (@amrgaabr) December 14, 2022

Cleveland is a top-10 passing defense, at least in yards per attempt (an important stat), playing zone defense and tied for the sixth-worst defense in yards per attempt while playing man coverage. There may be explanations for the defense but it is interesting to see how few teams play man coverage even 40% of the time with only one team playing it half of the time.

Based on the data, Woods is smart to have his team in zone coverage two-thirds of the time despite narratives that players like CB Denzel Ward would be better in more man looks.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/...-man-zone-coverage-joe-woods-jeff-howard

Check out the link if you want to see the graphic aid.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mac

Does Stefanski prioritize winning?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I love Jacoby and hate saying this, but you gotta play your best players. Watson is a better player. We were 4 and 7 and did not know how Watson would play. You gotta play him. He was way worse in that first game than I imagined, but you still should play your best players. Some may think that JB is better than Watson. That's fine. Hell, I know there are some who think Baker is better than both. It is what it is, but I'm w/the Browns on this one that they have to roll w/Watson.

And I'm fine with your opinion. But then to reach that conclusion you would have to believe that the coaching staff had no idea how badly watson would perform so they started him because he gave them the best chance to win at that time. If Stefanski truly believed that problems may run deeper than I had originally thought.

Yes, I said and agreed with you, watson is certainly the best QB of the group, he just wasn't the best at the time after being out of the game for almost two years. At 4-7 it was time to get watson acclimated and up to speed in preparation for next season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
What Stefanski does prioritize is not trashing two seasons in a row.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Maybe a bit off topic, but I think Woods was a hot black candidate and us hiring him was as much about him being here as a DC, then hired away to be a head coach for which I think we might get a draft pick.

peen...I posted what.."I BELIEVE IN"..when looking for suitable coaching candidates, regardless if you are hiring an offensive or defensive coordinator or an O or D assistant coach..

You can disagree with MY OPINION if you want...but don't be surprised if I discount you take.

That said, if the Browns' HARVARD BOYS were more concerned about hiring a defensive coordinator who was BLACK, with the idea that (in your words peen)..."hiring him was as much about him being here as a DC, then hired away to be a head coach for which I think we might get a draft pick".

I would fire the person responsible for that line of thinking.

Should the Browns have hired Joe Woods as their Defensive Coordinator...based on the possibility that the Browns might reap some return value (in the form of a draft pick) if another team hired Woods to be their NEW Head Coach..?....BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK..?

When the Browns, because of ANALYTICS, put the color of their Defensive Coordinator's skin ahead of his ability to perform his duties as the Browns Defensive Coordinator...OUR FRANCHISE IS DOOMED with Haslam and Depodesta leading the Browns franchise...imo.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

Should the Browns have hired Joe Woods as their Defensive Coordinator...based on the possibility that the Browns might reap some return value (in the form of a draft pick) if another team hired Woods to be their NEW Head Coach..?....BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK..?

When the Browns, because of ANALYTICS, put the color of their Defensive Coordinator's skin ahead of his ability to perform his duties as the Browns Defensive Coordinator...OUR FRANCHISE IS DOOMED with Haslam and Depodesta leading the Browns franchise...imo.

/hire

It was the NFL, not analytics that made skin color a factor in choosing individuals for these positions.... by rewarding those who consider and hire minorities and/or punishing those who don't. No one said the Browns FO put skin color ahead of ability, but the NFL (rightly IMO) made it necessary to use skin color as part of the equation. Why would they not consider the potential for a future draft pick in the hiring process? Again, no one is implying that we choose someone of lesser ability.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Actually, in this case I agree with you about the hire.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
The D has shouldered the load in our last four games, three of them wins. Just throwing that out there

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Still too many yards on the ground. Has to be the #1 priority this offseason or we will be in the same boat next year.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The offense has even bigger problems than the defense.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Still too many yards on the ground. Has to be the #1 priority this offseason or we will be in the same boat next year.
The #I priority should be becoming a better football team. The AFC is going to be tough and the Browns could be playing a lot better.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Throw I understand what you mean but I was just targeting what I feel is our most glaring weakness. To become a better team better decisions need to be made. The bad decisions cost us the jets game and how many blown coverages did we have that cost us wins? I said it before we're not that far off but we need to make the right personnel moves for next season to address our weak areas. Oh, and a new DC wouldn't hurt either.

Legend
Legend
Throw I understand what you mean ....

Said no one ever until now.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog

I agree. I’ve said it before, we have to make the DL interior a top priority this off-season. Winfrey has shown up lately, but we need to draft/sign a stud DT.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/18/22 08:44 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1st String
1st String
Hope Winfrey can mature both on and off the field.

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard