#1994703 12/23/22 03:28 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
OR IS IT???

Please note possibly in vane but I wish to clarify this is not a Watson vs Mayfield thread. This is about the trade orchestrated by Stefanski and obliged by Berry and the Haslams.

Why would I dare state this as not only a bad trade but possibly the worst trade in franchise history.

First I would like to put to the record a few things.
1. Watson when coming into the NFL I championed him on these draft board threads - No I wasn't a we got to get him guy. But when reading how he will not make it in the NFL I made a good case on why I thought he would succeed.

2. The up and comings of FANTASY has tainted the scales on Offense vs Defense. Lets put one thing straight - DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! Not QBs. I know, I know for years we were touting the position as the HOLY GRAIL. It is without a Doubt the most important position on the team but case in point.

Bears Dikta teams - it was the defense not Ed McMann a good QB but not elite.
Tampa Bay first SB...it was the Defense and running game that won the championship not Don Johnson.
Ravens 2000 SB....it was the Defense not Dilfer....DILFER for crying out loud!

Although Stafford is probably a little better then the above QBs it was the Defense that got the Rams their championship last year.
Payton Manning in his last SB win great leadership but just a mere image of himself as far as talent goes but it was the Broncos Defense that won them a championship!
I'm sure you can find exceptions as their always are some. But to build a dynasty you got to do it by DEFENSE and an attention to the LOS both on O and D - quite frankly the OL as a Unit is more important for a championship than an ELITE QB.

Was Baker an Elite QB again no debate but I without a doubt believe he was of the caliber to win us a championship. But for those who will Insist on tearing him a new hole. THEN DRAFT ONE.

Just cause we were the most inept franchise in drafting a QB that doesn't mean there isn't a Good QB out there to be had - nurtured and groomed from the draft.

So just how do you build a championship Defense. You do so from the draft. Its all about the LOS weather its with a 4-3 or a 3-4 Talent on that line or edges is what you got to get and when you get one they are good for 10 years.

Two variables in my mind give me the gall to state this was the worst trade ever.

1. The character of Watson, yes he looks like the boy next door until you get to the "BUT" and its a big BUTT! And it does mean a lot. He's already settled with 20 something of the young ladies - so there is no question in my mind that he was terribly wrong in his actions. A questionable suit was shooed away cause she was wrong and there was no settlement. You going to tell me a God Fearing young man will not have a hard tome following Watson to hell and back to win a championship???

2. 3 years of First round picks...a death sentence to any team. Let us say a team did such a haneous crime to the league and they would receive a "DEATH SENTENCE" from the league it probably would be in the form of losing 3 years of first round picks. Although a different era you can look at the Herschel Walker trade. The Vikings never recovered from that trade. I love my Browns so I hope we are not the NEW version of that scenario!!

So far we are 2-1 on Watson's return The two wins he was a none factor - Defense and special teams got the win. The One Loss was against the Bengals a team we ruled for the last two seasons this game we lost convincingly. He has a lot of rust to knock off.
Our O will have to dominate. We will see oh and the other fact that really bothers me. Is 2020 Watson had a SPECIAL YEAR and yet his TEAM was was 4-12. I also see us becoming a passing team. Stefanski will not beable to resist - guess who will become irrelevant. Nick Chubb - Hunt will be his kind of guy. Lets trade him in the off season might as well get a first or 2nd for him while we can. I love Chubb - I'm a OL guy who loves the run and play action. But I kid you not. Watch Stefanski request this from Berry.

So did we make one of the dumbest trades in football history? There is a big possibility. Ski is in my Crap house for sure in getting the ball rolling.

Please do not make this Baker vs Watson. Thank you in advance. You can mention their names just its not my debate message.

Have a merry Christmas and part of my bitterness is my heart is getting weaker and weaker - Transplant is out of the question as I don't have the multi millions need to over ride the fact I'm a poor candidate. Love you all!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by eotab
This is about the trade orchestrated by Stefanski and obliged by Berry and the Haslams.

This is the only portion of your post I take issue with. I've seen nothing to indicate this is the way any of this went down.

And welcome back tab. It's nice to see you posting again. Hope all is going better for you as of late.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Writers priviledge Pit. But Baker was never Stefanski's guy. He tried to mold him into his QB and the way he orchestrated this was by his usage of Baker when injured. And he had a problem saying "HE's MY GUY" anyways its my view take it or in your case leave...it doesn't really change the thread but I truly believe this and think the lowest of him for doing this to our team! Et Tu Brutus kind of guy! him not yo9u...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't discount what you're saying but by that same token it was Dorsey who drafted Mayfield. So by your logic he wasn't s guy selected by this FO either. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this portion of your post.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Its not the drafting Its the usage of the player that makes him good or bad. Stefanski cannot adjust - he couldn' adjust his playbook to Baker. He can't adjust game day. Its why I think he is not a good Coach at all...AT ALL!
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I can certainly see some of Stefanski's weaknesses and it did seem to me the longer Baker was here the more Stefanski tended to move away from his strengths. But I also don't think Baker is or was a complete QB. I don't think you can be dependent on having your entire playbook comprised only based on what a QB does well without expecting him to evolve into a complete QB. And there is certainly some truth that a coach needs to be able to develop talent. There's also truth that you have to draft players with the ability to be developed. It's not an all or nothing proposition. I present to you Anthony Schwartz.

There was nothing about his college career that gave any cause to draft him where he was chosen other than straight line speed and his SPARQ score.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
EO, I don't like him at all as a person, but I think DW could get us there. I don't particularly think he's any better than Baker. Hell, one week, Baker plays like he's on fire, and the next, like he's a third-string backup. DW will have his ups and downs too. I hope he at least returns to form enough to get something out of him if he doesn't work out for whatever reason. As far as the trade itself, I felt it was horrible, not blockbuster, not even close. Now had DW not had the off-field issues, I would still grade it as bad just because we gave up way too much for what appears to be the same player stats-wise. And I get that DW passed the eyeball test @ the Texans, but he hasn't here yet IMO. So I feel a little nervous, but I think the rust or whatever will clear itself up during the offseason.

So this is how I feel about the trade in particular:

1) We reached and overpaid for a similar but commonly agreed better player.
2) We took a dump on Baker; not cool.
3) We trashed Pittsburg for Big Ben, then signed a sexual predator of our own. Again, not cool.
4) Who knows what all those pics will end up costing us?
5) And finally, the part that really pissed me off is that they shoved a predator up our asses and just expected us to be cool with it.

TBH, I'm good watching but disliking our QB. But I think I'm going to need results next year, like playoffs at minimum, or I might hang it up with this team. And that sucks because players have never mattered that much to me in the sense of rather I love this team or not, but now they do. And weighing the fifty years I've been a die-hard fan against the DW trade, it sucks to be in this position. DW's rapeyness does not matter to some guys; they want to win at all costs, and I understand why. But for me, it's more complicated than just wanting the shiny new toy. But at least I got a taste of watching him now, know that I can without cringing relentlessly, and can look forward with the hope that he's everything they say he is going to be for us in the future.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
DW is better.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: PitDAWG, Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
I go for the "or is it?" portion of the question.

Only time will tell. At this point it has the potential to be a bad trade. It also has the chance to be a great trade.

As for Stefanski's ability to adjust, I think we are seeing the adjustment taking place now. Maybe part of the problem was some players inability or unwillingness to adjust?

I know this won't be popular, but maybe Chubb isn't the type of lead back that best suits the game we are going to play with Watson at QB. Chubb is a negative in the passing game, and even in the running game he isn't a one cut, hit the hole runner like Hunt, or even D Johnson. If we run more RPO's, I am not sure Chubb is our guy. He isn't going to be able to string out along the line looking for his hole.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I’ll reserve judgment until this time next year or so. The rust factor has to be accounted for (and in theory Stefanski needs to get used to DW as well).

I am a little concerned that I’ve read his style doesn’t necessarily mesh well with Chubb’s, so I’ll keep an eye out for that.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It was a great trade. Why?

In 2021 they felt this team was ready to compete yearly for AFC North and then Super Bowls. What happened they saw a QB that was limited and a team in their same state pass their team because of their QB.

Bringing in Deshuan Watson gives them a QB that was considered a top 5 NFL QB that will help the team to be able to compete yearly for AFC North and then Super Bowls. Baker's limitations would have prevented the Browns from that.

While Watson's contract looks and feels bad right now. In 2 more years, it will start to look like a bargain. Watch what happens when Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert's contract are up.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good to see you posting Eo.

The final grade on this trade will be in 3-4 years time. I agree with you the final grade has nothing to do with who they replaced - look how badly Baker has played elsewhere, that's one part of it that indicates that ultimately moving on was the right call. The question is the cost and player they moved on to.... This year was just a turd flushed down the crapper. We had a brief moment early in the season of "Daaaamn, Brissett is better than any of us thought, maybe ..... maybe". Then we lost 3 winnable games for a variety of reasons and Stefanski/Woods were chief amongst them - after that the season was always done. Maybe/Probably one of the reason's we saw so many players commenting negatively in the locker room, the realization this season was a waste.

Watson is knocking off the rust and improving each game. He's not really done anything truly remarkable or elite yet - but I think most think that level of play is coming. I think next year will tell us most of what we need to know - but truly, just like a draft pick, we got to give it 3 years.

And if Stefanski wastes Watson's talent, if the $1/4 Billion is a bigger impact on the cap than some keep saying, if some of our favorite players (Chubb and Garrett) don't get resigned when their contracts are up - some of that should be a factor, but the real litmus test is how good Watson is. Elite QB's are hard to land in the NFL. 23 years since the return has proven that, looking around the NFL at other teams shows us that. Give it time and eventually we'll probably mostly all agree one way or another.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Writers priviledge Pit. But Baker was never Stefanski's guy. He tried to mold him into his QB and the way he orchestrated this was by his usage of Baker when injured. And he had a problem saying "HE's MY GUY" anyways its my view take it or in your case leave...it doesn't really change the thread but I truly believe this and think the lowest of him for doing this to our team! Et Tu Brutus kind of guy! him not yo9u...lol laugh

Welcome back Tabber.. No evidence that Baker wasn't never a Stefanski guy. The year before, when Baker wasn't injured, he lit up the league.. so IMHO, Baker could execute the offense that Stefanski brought to bare. NOBODY does well injured the way he was. Not a QB anyway.

Having said that, and knowing the partnership that Berry and Stefanski have formed, I have no doubt that Stefanski agreed that an Upgrade was in order..

What I will never care for is the baggage that comes with Watson being worth what they gave up.,,, 3 first rounders and $230 million seems a bit much for a guy with that baggage. I'll also say that the way they handled Baker was Trashy.

I find it funny that Baker is still being paid, at least partly by the Browns. (Panthers also)

I doubt that Stefanski started this. I bet it was backroom conversation between Berry and Houston that brought it to light,, I'll be real happy if we win big with Watson, but no way will I ever be happy with how this came down and what he costs..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Have a merry Christmas and part of my bitterness is my heart is getting weaker and weaker - Transplant is out of the question as I don't have the multi millions need to over ride the fact I'm a poor candidate. Love you all!

EO...it's good to hear from you..! I've been wondering how things are going for you and now that you have given us an update, you hang in there and keep fighting. EO, do your best to enjoy those things that matter the most. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I also believe that Defense Wins Championships..something that became more evident once the Browns got into the regular season and were losing games by slim margins. While the Browns owner and management focused on improving the offense, I was concerned about the defense. Also, now that GM Berry's draft picks have had time to gain experience we have a better idea about Berry's ability to judge defensive talent.

Berry's draft picks have another year of experience under their belts...I ask the question, Are Berry's DEFENSIVE draft picks good enough to win a Championship..?

Concerning the other subject concerning QBs...Time will tell..!

Take care, mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nice to see you posted EO. Sorry to hear you're not doing well but hang in there I'll keep you in my prayers. I don't really want to debate whether we should have signed DW or not I've already given my opinion on the subject. One thing I will say again about the 3 1st round draft picks. We don't draft well in the 1st round anyway. Since we came back in "99 the only guys I can think of that were worth that pick were Myles and Joe Thomas. Some others were OK but didn't live up to being taken in round 1. It doesn't mean we wouldn't have hit on those 3 we traded away but our track record is lousy no matter who was doing the drafting. JMO Oh and Alex Mack too.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/24/22 10:36 AM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Nice to see you posted EO. Sorry to hear you're not doing well but hang in there I'll keep you in my prayers. I don't really want to debate whether we should have signed DW or not I've already given my opinion on the subject. One thing I will say again about the 3 1st round draft picks. We don't draft well in the 1st round anyway. Since we came back in "99 the only guys I can think of that were worth that pick were Myles and Joe Thomas. Some others were OK but didn't live up to being taken in round 1. It doesn't mean we wouldn't have hit on those 3 we traded away but our track record is lousy no matter who was doing the drafting. JMO Oh and Alex Mack too.

It is impossible to refute your take their. It feels illogical to "expect" that different FO guys in Cleveland can repeat the same failures over a 30 year period...yet we continue to do so. I believe Clem is on to something about the water/air/building in Berea.

T
Legend
Legend
T
There are exceptions to a rule, and your original post attempts to list 5 times where defense won a super bowl, but in 2022 the league is not on super bowl 6, they are on like 50 something years. Offense wins championships.
and defense
but Investing > in offense.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
The trade may have been a waste. The Defense has cost this team the last 3 years. The offense didn't need much of an upgrade. jmho

Legend
Legend
Prayers up EO .. merry christmas

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
It was a great trade. Why?

In 2021 they felt this team was ready to compete yearly for AFC North and then Super Bowls. What happened they saw a QB that was limited and a team in their same state pass their team because of their QB.

Bringing in Deshuan Watson gives them a QB that was considered a top 5 NFL QB that will help the team to be able to compete yearly for AFC North and then Super Bowls. Baker's limitations would have prevented the Browns from that.

While Watson's contract looks and feels bad right now. In 2 more years, it will start to look like a bargain. Watch what happens when Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert's contract are up.

It's too early to tell if it was a great trade, but the rest of this post is spot on, especially that last sentence. You could almost see the panic when Harbaugh and some others spoke out against this trade. When it comes time for tight pockets Mike Brown to pay up, history indicates he won't.

The issue of 3 first round picks will probably hurt us. There are people saying that it won't because we've picked so many busts with the first rounders, but in the last 5 years we've had 7 first rounders and 5 of them are currently starting for the Browns.....Garrett, Njoku, Ward, Newsome and Wills. The other 2 were Jabril Peppers and BM.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
You could almost see the panic when Harbaugh and some others spoke out against this trade. When it comes time for tight pockets Mike Brown to pay up, history indicates he won't.

The issue of 3 first round picks will probably hurt us. There are people saying that it won't because we've picked so many busts with the first rounders, but in the last 5 years we've had 7 first rounders and 5 of them are currently starting for the Browns.....Garrett, Njoku, Ward, Newsome and Wills. The other 2 were Jabril Peppers and BM.

Funny, I thought the same thing at the time. But I actually think it helped them make the decision... chew Jackson up and spit him out. There will be no contract unless he takes them to the promised land within the first two franchise tags.

Agree with the 1st rounders -- and even Peppers would have meant much more to this defense than OBJ ever did on the other side of the ball.

We need to flip the script next season and become a destination for FAs looking for a ring. If not, we'll fall firmly into the "puncher's chance" category for the next few years.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
. But I actually think it helped them make the decision... chew Jackson up and spit him out. There will be no contract unless he takes them to the promised land within the first two franchise tags.

You're probably right. They don't want to get Flacco'd a second time.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Put the trade for DW side by side with the Ernest Byner for Micheal Oliphant trade,

I still think Byner/Oliphant was worse,
also, I think if you look back from this far along, that what the Browns got, for what ended up being that WR who went to the Falcons and ended up having/forcing Tom Brady's Patriots to overcome such a deficit in the Super Bowl.

At least in those two Byner and the WR won 2 playoff games in their career, Watson hasn't won 2 playoff games yet.

The Browns trade up for Trent Richardson Rb, in the year RG3 was drafted and later Kurt Cousins, the fact that the Browns didn't make that trade up for a pick be a pick of Ryan Tannehill, @b of the Titans, Who was right there for the taking... also comes to mind.

I'd guess that one of the Haslams, demanded they move on from all >>>>all all of the players who liked to dance and showboat from the 2020 team.
hmm. J. Landry, and R. Higgins and B. Mayfield are no longer on the Browns, and OBJ. Who else?
I don't like analytics, and I don't think the personalities of those from Harvard, )many politicians)
and many NFL greats, Terry Bradshaw, Mike Ditka, John Madden, Mean Joe Greene, Randy Moss, Mike Golic, Michael strayhan, Ray Lewis
Rob Gronkowski Jon Gruden, others.. there is somewhat of different personality traits on display from most Harvard individuals
and most NFL all time greats
and enthusiasm and a certain willingness to throw caution to the wind, in spite of analytics doesn't lead to one indiv. having the ultimate success on both the NFL Field,
and Harvard, in fact, I think it's almost mutually exclusive.
But, if Bo Jackson could play football and baseball in the same day, then never say never.

But the NFL and Harvard haven't mixed since Nineteen sixty five. = I don't like analytics.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
If you look back at what the Browns got in trade for the pick that ended up being Julio Jones I don't even remember it but
here is a part from
Wikipedia on Julio Jones, ... if he had done this for the Browns he would have rivaled Myles Garretts greatness over the last few years.

Quintorris Lopez "Julio" Jones Jr. (/ˈhuːlioʊ/; born February 8, 1989)[1] is an American football wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Alabama, and was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the first round (6th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He is regarded as one of the best receivers of the 2010s.[2]

After a productive rookie season, Jones recorded 1,198 receiving yards and ten touchdowns in 2012 and was named to his first Pro Bowl. After an injury-plagued 2013 season where he only played five games, Jones led the Falcons in receiving yards in 2014, and made his second Pro Bowl, beginning to develop a deep chemistry with team quarterback Matt Ryan.[3][4] Jones broke out the next season, leading the league in receiving yards and co-leading in receptions, both of his statistics ranking top five all-time in a season. After this season, he was named to his first All-Pro selection. In 2016, Jones again had a productive year, garnering another All-Pro selection, and helped to lead the Falcons to Super Bowl LI. Over the next three seasons, Jones amassed 4,515 yards, the most by any player during that span, including leading the league again in yards in 2018.

With the Falcons, Jones amassed 12,896 receiving yards, most by a receiver since entering the league,[5] and more than any receiver in the 2010s, with 12,125 yards during that span.[6] In doing so, Jones was invited to seven Pro Bowls, including six consecutive from 2014 to 2019, was a first-team All-Pro selection twice and was named second-team All-Pro three times.

Jones has been noted for having a rare combination of size (6 ft 3 in and 220 lbs), speed (40-yard dash in 4.39 seconds), catching ability, strength, leaping ability, and body control, which has drawn frequent comparisons to Calvin Johnson.[7][8] On November 11, 2018, Jones became the fastest player in NFL history to reach 10,000 career receiving yards.[9] On September 15, 2019, Jones became the all-time career receiving yards leader for the Falcons.[10] On October 5, 2020, Jones became the all-time career receptions leader for the Falcons. His career average of 91.9 receiving yards per game is the highest in NFL history, and as of 2021 he is tied for third all-time in career games with 100-yards receiving with 59 career games.
[11][12] In 2021 after another injury-plagued 2020 season, Jones was traded to the Titans after reported disgruntlement with Atlanta's new front office.[13] After being released by the Titans in 2022, Jones signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Legend
Legend
I just disagree. The trade of Paul Warfield to the Miami Dolphins was the worst trade in franchise history. Hands down.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I remember reading that during the 2017 draft after we took Myles, and that was the right thing to do, Hue Jackson called DW and said we were going to take him at #12. I don't know what happened after that, I think we traded down to get more picks, but obviously we never drafted him. What a colossal mistake that was looking back. sick

Legend
Legend
It's good to see ya around these parts, again, Eo.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's a very risky trade
The Browns gave up 3 1st RD picks in exchange for potential.
Has a NFL team ever gave up 3 1st RD picks for a QB who's
Career record is around .500?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[color:#FFCC33 Stefanski cannot adjust - he couldn' adjust his playbook to Baker. He can't adjust game day. jmho[/color]

I agree - it's why he has good success on the initial drive of a game, and doesn't have much success the rest of the game. I know I am speaking in generalities, but....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
As of now, at least to me, it seems like Watson is a circle trying to be forced into square hole. We have no offensive identity. Hopefully that will change because we have invested the Franchise's future into this trade.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Put the trade for DW side by side with the Ernest Byner for Micheal Oliphant trade,

I still think Byner/Oliphant was worse,
also, I think if you look back from this far along, that what the Browns got, for what ended up being that WR who went to the Falcons and ended up having/forcing Tom Brady's Patriots to overcome such a deficit in the Super Bowl.

At least in those two Byner and the WR won 2 playoff games in their career, Watson hasn't won 2 playoff games yet.

The Browns trade up for Trent Richardson Rb, in the year RG3 was drafted and later Kurt Cousins, the fact that the Browns didn't make that trade up for a pick be a pick of Ryan Tannehill, @b of the Titans, Who was right there for the taking... also comes to mind.

I'd guess that one of the Haslams, demanded they move on from all >>>>all all of the players who liked to dance and showboat from the 2020 team.
hmm. J. Landry, and R. Higgins and B. Mayfield are no longer on the Browns, and OBJ. Who else?
I don't like analytics, and I don't think the personalities of those from Harvard, )many politicians)
and many NFL greats, Terry Bradshaw, Mike Ditka, John Madden, Mean Joe Greene, Randy Moss, Mike Golic, Michael strayhan, Ray Lewis
Rob Gronkowski Jon Gruden, others.. there is somewhat of different personality traits on display from most Harvard individuals
and most NFL all time greats
and enthusiasm and a certain willingness to throw caution to the wind, in spite of analytics doesn't lead to one indiv. having the ultimate success on both the NFL Field,
and Harvard, in fact, I think it's almost mutually exclusive.
But, if Bo Jackson could play football and baseball in the same day, then never say never.

But the NFL and Harvard haven't mixed since Nineteen sixty five. = I don't like analytics.
Then you are foolish. EVERY business uses analytics. Every sport uses analytics. Being from an Ivy League school is irrelevant. Your broad brushing is pointless. The problem is not analytics. That buzzword is grabbed by everyone who roots for a team that has problems as being the cause of the problems. My issues with the Watson deal are that too much was given up, the ownership and FO either didn’t have a clue what his punishment would be or worse, didn’t care and, finally, that his numbers with the exception of his last season were actually not phenomenal. They were very good but so were Baker’s 1st and 3rd years. I am not saying that Baker is as good as Deshaun. I am saying that there was an element of hype to Watson really keyed into his last year. I am also saying that the Browns have issues with coaching and talent evaluation. Analytics isn’t the problem because analytics is only one tool that organizations use.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I just disagree. The trade of Paul Warfield to the Miami Dolphins was the worst trade in franchise history. Hands down.

That is a tie. I'd put Paul Brown trading Doug Atkins in the same boat.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
It was a great trade! A quarterback who might turn out okay for three first-round picks we would’ve most definitely blown.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Atm I'd rather have Baker and the picks. We will know if it's a good trade next year.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
2 members like this: Tackman, OrangeHelmet
2nd String
2nd String
Absolutely a great post eotab, I think I agree with everything said ... especially "3 years of First round picks...a death sentence to any team"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was the WORST TRADE IN NFL HISTORY the day it was made.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Last place
Leshaun money grab.
The worst point he has played so bad he you could not trade him for a bucket
Of bolts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hey Vers, are all these guys "Baker Boys" too? Normally, anyone who disagrees with your constant hatred posts is a "Baker Boy."

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we traded Watson today... what would teams give for him?

I'd bet a 3rd round pick and he'd have to restructure his contract or we may have to eat 50% of the cap hit.

I really hope he gets back to DW of old asap.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
If we traded Watson today... what would teams give for him?

I'd bet a 3rd round pick and he'd have to restructure his contract or we may have to eat 50% of the cap hit.

I really hope he gets back to DW of old asap.

LMAO..........you have to be kidding?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Worst trade ever...

Link Copied to Clipboard