Next Thread
Print Thread
#1995462 12/26/22 09:49 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This thread is for "game specific" talk rather than bigger picture topics.

This was a disappointing loss as I thought we had the better team. Plenty of blame to go around.

Observations:

--Watson played okay considering the weather, but he did not play well. I say this because he made a few bad decisions in the pocket. He should have ran earlier than he did on several occasions. He threw at least two short flips late that went absolutely nowhere. Has to quicker w/his decision making. His feet got out of whack a few times and that hurts accuracy.

--This was the first game where I really questioned some of Stefanski's decisions. The route on the 4th down call where we overthrew Njoku was a bad call. I think there were some plays where I would have preferred we run because of the wind, but Chubb was getting stuffed too many times and we got behind the chains. And he did get 24 carries, which was 4 more than Kamara.

--The drop by Cooper in the end zone was huge. That was a momentum shifter. Cooper did slip and that is why he dropped it, but man, that was a huge play.

--DPJ had another crucial drop.

--Some of the calls were crazy, like the hold on Conklin. The dude slipped and fell down and Conklin was just doing his job.

--The D played pretty good overall, but they exploited us when they ran Power w/Hill to the side where Clowney was supposed to play. Of course, he missed yet another game.

--We needed Myles to get a sack on a few plays and he came up empty and the Saints were able to keep drives alive.

--I thought both teams played hard under extremely adverse conditions. That's magnified a bit considering both teams had almost no shot at the playoffs going in.

I'll share some more observations on specific players if the conversation progresses civillily.

Legend
Legend
Pocic was back, but the run blocking was still trash. Runs were getting blown up behind the LoS all day.

I'd love it if Baldy would do some breakdowns on what has broken down with "The Union". Either defenses have figured something out and we have no counterpunch, or we're just broken.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The (5-9) Saints were much better coached and the Saints players looked to be prepped and played as if they understood "what was on the line" vs. the (6-8) Browns team where the franchise and coaching staff were focused on getting more reps for next year's QB.

Both teams got what they wanted from this game...Browns fans just need to understand what the franchise priorities are.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Back to game specific talk and away from mac's agenda crap.

Top 5 PFF Grades for the Browns vs Saints:

πŸ₯‡ Reggie Ragland – 91.7
πŸ₯ˆ Amari Cooper – 78.5
πŸ₯‰ Myles Garrett – 76.4
4⃣ Nick Chubb – 76.1
5⃣ Denzel Ward – 71.6

A
Legend
Legend
A
Grades are great.

What grade matters? The "L" grade.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Glad you are happy about that. I noticed you were silent last week after we won.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Glad you are happy about that. I noticed you were silent last week after we won.

I was? Odd. Perhaps you didn't notice what you think you did. By the way, I was at the game.

A
Legend
Legend
A

But, I DID notice how quiet YOU were after we lost Saturday. Ironic, isn't it?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

I was? Odd. Perhaps you didn't notice what you think you did. By the way, I was at the game.

I saw you posting, saw you mention you were at the game. I think according to one theory that was recently insinuated by Vers - because you spent money on the team that week your opinion is more important than others. Not sure if you get any carry over to this week though, you might need to STFU and not talk about the team until you contribute financially again.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
A few things I kinda took note of during the game:

- You can tell our OL is not the same due to injury. teller and Conklin aren’t healthy I can almost guarantee that.

- Hunt is a shell of himself. Crazy how quickly he hit the wall.

- We had some key drops that led to the final outcome. I can remember 3-4 of them in key spots.

- Our ST had one of their better days of the year I thought.

- Delpit is so good in the box. Just wish he was well rounded.

- We missed clowney most when Hill was in the game. I thought that was the drive the Saints took the momentum.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Some good points all around.

- I too didn't like Stefanski's play calling this game. I thought there was some better ways to expose their defense. I didn't feel like he had a good feel for the game.

- Please correct me on this if i'm wrong: I didn't see much usage with misdirection plays. Besides the power game, i thought this would be a good thing with the weather and slower playing field.

- Last week we saw a few nice PA TE screens to Njoku. I think targeting our TE would've been more high percentage passes with the environment.

- I think Watson should've ran more with this game. There looked like there were lanes to run on some of those pass plays. I also think there should've been a few more designed runs this game for him.

- York had a couple nice kicks. He had some issues with his plant foot this year on kicks. My view: this game was good for him as he really had to concentrate on planting that foot (so not to slip) with the slippery field environment.

Legend
Legend
Teams taking away our bootleg action, cut back lanes, and screen game has really bogged down our offense. They are forcing us to play things straight, throw from the pocket, etc .. Stefanski has been negated

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks scott and 4-Life for talking about the game and ignoring the bullies. Hopefully arch will be suspended for telling the lie he just told. What kind of person does that? They have to ruin every freaking thread on this board w/their childish personality games. It's the same few people over and over and over.

--I really can't comment on the misdirection plays. Not sure if the footing had anything to do w/that?

--I agree Watson needs to run more. I think he is holding it too long in the pocket. By the time he decides to run, it's too late.

--The point about Hill and Clowney is a good one in my opinion.

--Delpit is good against the run. He just isn't good in coverage as a deep safety.

--I'm surprised that no one is giving Watson a bit of a pass due to the weather. Bad weather and qb play dominated post game talk just a short time ago. Now? Not a peep.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 12/27/22 09:47 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Back to game specific talk and away from mac's agenda crap.

Top 5 PFF Grades for the Browns vs Saints:

πŸ₯‡ Reggie Ragland – 91.7

Hey vers...remember this quote below..?..."most teams are looking for smaller, faster LBers who can be used more in the passing game."

vers writes...
I remember when Ragland was highly thought of in college. Classic, old-style, run-stuffing LBer. I think injuries have really hurt his career, plus most teams are looking for smaller, faster LBers who can be used more in the passing game.

JMO, but the Browns could use an "Classic, old-style, run-stuffing LBer"...someone like Reggie Ragland...YA THINK..?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't know if Ragland is that guy. He's bounced around a lot since being drafted. I do agree we need more physicality from our LBers, though.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I did a bit of quick research, looking for a Browns defensive player who had stats as good or better than Ragland had vs the Saints.

John Johnson, Safety, had 8 solo with 2 assists against the Bills a few weeks ago...

Ragland had 7 solo and 3 assists against the Saints..playing only 33 snaps..!

JJ played 65 snaps to accumulate his tackles vs Bills.

The Browns really should think about watching Ragland and what he brings to the defense as the Browns continue to struggle with stopping the run. The Browns might think about changing their priorities a bit...away from those..'little, fast, quick LBers'..who have trouble stopping RBs and consider more guys like those 240-250 lb run stuffers like Ragland.

But I doubt that this management group understands what it takes to stop the run...FOOTBALL IS NOT BASEBALL..!

Last edited by mac; 12/27/22 10:50 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Can we keep the FO out of this thread? Ragland played very well and it would be great if he can make the team next year and be a situational player.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
But some might have PRE-JUDGED Ragland before they even saw him play...fact is, even with Ragland's play, the coaching staff or GM only used him on 33 plays. The Saints ran the ball for 152 yds, yet Ragland was on the sidelines for 40% of the game. When "recapping the Saints game"...the Browns defensive strategy deserves to be questioned..especially the Browns defensive strategy vs the run.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks scott and 4-Life for talking about the game and ignoring the bullies.

I hadn't noticed them ignoring you?

Hopefully arch will be suspended for telling the lie he just told. What kind of person does that?

The same kind of person I'm quoting who pretends it's everyone else who is the problem.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Well, arch's post was removed. But, I guess it didn't warrant a suspension.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Most things you turn into mountains are nothing but mole hills so I'm not surprised.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

This really seems to be all you have at the moment - trying to get posters suspended.

Meanwhile you insult posters intelligence, name call all the time - unfoundedly calling posters liars for expressing an opinion and referring to them as "SCUM" today. Very Classy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
This really seems to be all you have at the moment - trying to get posters suspended.

Isn't that what teachers do when they think their students did something wrong?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd forgotten what Arch's post said - you just reminded me. Wondering why telling the truth would warrant a suspension? When spamming the boards calling someone EVIL didn't warrant a suspension. Talking endlessly about a posters family didn't warrant a suspension. Calling posters dumb, liars and scum doesn't warrant a suspension. . . . makes you wonder dunnit.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think one must remember that teachers are afforded liberties not given to students. That may help explain it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Y'all enjoying the game recap posts? LOL

P
Legend
Legend
P
Y'all enjoying the game recap posts? LOL

You mean like this one?

I had no idea lobbying for posters to be suspended were game recap posts?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac
But some might have PRE-JUDGED Ragland before they even saw him play...fact is, even with Ragland's play, the coaching staff or GM only used him on 33 plays. The Saints ran the ball for 152 yds, yet Ragland was on the sidelines for 40% of the game. When "recapping the Saints game"...the Browns defensive strategy deserves to be questioned..especially the Browns defensive strategy vs the run.

We've played 15 games so far, three teams have attempted 19 passes or less against us (Mariotta 19, LJ 16, and Dalton/Hill 15). Their 39 rushing attempts is the second highest against us, except for 44 attempts against the Ravens earlier this year.

Tony Fields had 6 solo and 4 assists. While Ragland had a good game, I'm not going to get to hyped about him considering his previous history and the type/style of game that was played last Saturday.

Legend
Legend
That’s a damning stat. And had the Ravens just run it last game against us they’d have beaten us too

O
Legend
Legend
O
Thanks scott and 4-Life for talking about the game and ignoring the bullies. Hopefully arch will be suspended for telling the lie he just told. What kind of person does that? They have to ruin every freaking thread on this board w/their childish personality games. It's the same few people over and over and over.

--I really can't comment on the misdirection plays. Not sure if the footing had anything to do w/that?

--I agree Watson needs to run more. I think he is holding it too long in the pocket. By the time he decides to run, it's too late.

--The point about Hill and Clowney is a good one in my opinion.

--Delpit is good against the run. He just isn't good in coverage as a deep safety.

--I'm surprised that no one is giving Watson a bit of a pass due to the weather. Bad weather and qb play dominated post game talk just a short time ago. Now? Not a peep.

Would you have given Baker a pass for any of those four games? You shouldn't be surprised, then. And no, I'm not hating on you; I'm just pointing out the obvious glaring flaw in your Baker Boyz logic, Vers. Hard to keep lumping all those who liked Baker into a group that somehow has it out for the Browns. They might have it out for you over all the petty rhetoric back and forth from both sides of the topic, but I think 99.9% of us are hardcore Browns fans regardless of how they feel about any player, coach, or FO staff member. And with that being said, I think we all want one thing in common: for the Browns to succeed and get to a Super Bowl in our lifetimes, hopefully sooner rather than later.

And surely, when it comes to DW's off-field issues, you can understand how many of us are disturbed by the Browns acquiring him in the fashion they did. So why keep perpetuating the infighting on the board with constant shots that you are fully aware will continue creating detractors for both you and Watson? Where is the logic in that, bro? What do you get out of that? And can we figure out some way to put this to bed before the offseason? Else, this board will be completely unreadable from all the trash posts.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/28/22 04:41 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I said this about Watson in the first post of this thread:

--Watson played okay considering the weather, but he did not play well. I say this because he made a few bad decisions in the pocket. He should have ran earlier than he did on several occasions. He threw at least two short flips late that went absolutely nowhere. Has to quicker w/his decision making. His feet got out of whack a few times and that hurts accuracy.

That's hardly giving him a "pass." If I had said that about Baker after a game, you guys would have went off.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If some of our receivers didn't drop the ball DW would have looked a little better too.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You aren't worth my time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would say that goes for every QB in the NFL.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Saints 17 Saints @ Browns Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard