Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
New Orleans Trades Up to Get Ricky Williams

After featuring on the cover of ESPN Magazine in a wedding dress alongside Saints head coach Mike Ditka, Ricky Williams was not the solution to the team’s woes. Perhaps that is because of the massive price tag that the Saints paid for Williams, which included basically their entire 1999 draft class and a 1st and 3rd round pick the following year. Losing an entire year of talent was too much for the Saints to overcome, despite Williams rushing for over 1,000 yards during two of his three seasons with the team. Williams was then dealt to the Miami Dolphins for four draft picks including two 1st rounders.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Raiders get 4th Round Pick for Randy Moss

The New England Patriots knew they were acquiring one of the greatest wide receivers in the history of the NFL when they swapped the Oakland Raiders a 4th round pick for the services of Randy Moss. Moss was coming off a lackluster season and appeared to be frustrated with the Raiders before leaving to become Tom Brady’s favorite target. Moss flourished in the new offense, with 23 touchdown receptions in his first season en route to the Patriots making a legendary 20 game winning streak into the Super Bowl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Herschel Walker to Vikings

In October 1989, a wild notion on a morning jog from Jimmy Johnson led the Cowboys to trade the team’s star running back, Herschel Walker, which was the deal that started a dynasty. The Cowboys were more than willing to part with Walker, two 3rd round picks, one 5th round pick, and one 10th round pick in order to receive the haul of the century from the Vikings. The Vikings gave up several players in addition to three 1st round picks, three 2nd round picks, one 3rd round pick, and one 6th round pick. The Cowboys used several of the picks to select franchise cornerstones like Emmett Smith and Darren Woodson, but were able to move several of the picks to acquire other players. The genius move orchestrated by Johnson and Jerry Jones helped the Cowboys win three Super Bowls by 1995.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Packers Bet the Farm on John Hadl

Once upon a time in 1974, the Green Bay Packers were absolutely desperate for a quarterback and Dan Devine believed a veteran quarterback would lead them to the Super Bowl. John Hadl was fresh off of leading the Rams to the playoffs and was dealt to the Packers for an amazing haul of five draft picks. Hadl was a 33-year-old quarterback at the time of the trade and would go on to start only 19 games for the Packers, going 7-12 in those games. For their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in 1975 and their 1st and 2nd round picks in 1976, the Packers received only 9 touchdown passes from Hadl.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watson’s side never shopped the offer. When the stunning announcement was made that Watson was headed to Cleveland and contract details emerged, one team called and asked why it wasn’t given an opportunity to match — because, they insisted, they would have.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
REPOST:

Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
...No one knows exactly what the trade demands were specifically...

There you go. From your own keyboard.

The liars lament is that once the lying starts, the liar loses track of what he said and what other lies are built upon the first lie.

V
Legend
Legend
V
After all the information that Memphis posted, I think most of the board recognizes who was telling the truth and which small group of posters were attacking another poster. I can live w/that.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
After all the information that Memphis posted, I think most of the board recognizes who was telling the truth and which small group of posters were attacking another poster. I can live w/that.

Agreed...nothing says more than words from your own keyboard.

Legend
Legend
j/c:

So now that we've all seen Watson play several games as our QB what are you guys thinking about him? I'm curious.

T
Legend
Legend
T
He takes a lot of sacks, we knew that, on display today.
He throws interceptions, at least one in every, just about every playoff type Big game, .. could have been known, on display today.
He can make some big throws and 3 TD days wow touchdown passes, could have been known, on display last week.

He runs around in the pocket sometimes like plastic man, happened today.

He can be the reason for a loss the same as a reason for a win.

He didn't do anything to make me rethink my thought that he has a limited ceiling of per game production, of about 3.five TD passes

same old Watson, for bad or For Good.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You could be right but DW would still the best QB we've had since Bernie even at 75-80%. JMO

A
Legend
Legend
A
$230 million doesn't buy what it used to.

A chevy will get you where you're going just as well as a mercedez, rusty or not.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
You could be right but DW would still the best QB we've had since Bernie even at 75-80%. JMO

Why? What has he done here? Did you see something elite?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

Can't get much worse than this...
Baker had a destroyed arm last year and had better stats in (almost every) category.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That little post is going to raise the hair on someone's neck.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
A
Legend
Legend
A
If it's factual, it shouldn't.

But, I guarantee the excuses will come.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

Baker had a destroyed arm last year and had better stats in (almost every) category.

Made me think here is Baker's last 6 games in 2021. He led the team to 2 wins and 4 loses.

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

As you can see Baker's stats were worse than what Watson put up and he had played all season when Watson was shaking the rust off wfter missing 2021 and 11 games in 2022. Which is why Baker is no longer a Brown, a Panther, and probably will be an ex-Ram.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

Made me think here is Baker's last 6 games in 2021. He led the team to 2 wins and 4 loses.

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

As you can see Baker's stats were worse than what Watson put up and he had played all season when Watson was shaking the rust off wfter missing 2021 and 11 games in 2022. Which is why Baker is no longer a Brown, a Panther, and probably will be an ex-Ram.

You picked 6 games out of Baler's full season when his arm was basically hanging on by 1 tendon.

Watson has no excuse. The rust should have been shaken off in training camp or after 1 game.

*I don't think Baker is the answer. My point was Watson hasn't been worth 230 mill and 3 first round picks. (10th pick next year).

He looks cuttable/tradeable like Baker.

Hopefully, he figures it out next year.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Why? What has he done here? Did you see something elite?
I remember in O>seven ish, When Derek Anderson had his best year, one thing he'd do regularly that came from the start,
and easy to overlook
b/c he was a backup, coming in, and making little by little happen,
what he did was even if many of the drives were scrap held together with bailing wire, Derek Anderson would lead the team to five to seven scoring drives per game.
Pretty elite to do week after week more times than noticed. Esp. when you consider, who did it before or since? I don't know if anybody.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

You picked 6 games out of Baler's full season when his arm was basically hanging on by 1 tendon.

Watson has no excuse. The rust should have been shaken off in training camp or after 1 game.

*I don't think Baker is the answer. My point was Watson hasn't been worth 230 mill and 3 first round picks. (10th pick next year).

I did not cherry pick. I simply picked the last 6 games Baker played in 2021. Kept it as apples to apples as possible with DeShaun's 6 games. DeShaun was shaking rust of missing 1 full season and 11 games. When everyone was in mid-season form, he was attempting to operate in a brand-new offense from the one he last operated in. He was trying to figure out how to best utilize the talent around him since he never played with them before. They were also, trying to figure out how to play with a brand new QB they never played with before. I do fully expect that we see a completely different DeShaun next year after he completed an entire off-season program with his new teammates and builds chemistry on and off the field with them. He went .500 in his first 6 games to end this season and put-up better stats than last year's so called QB.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Yep, the Fabulous Baker Boys have "moved on." brownie

O
Legend
Legend
O
j/c:

But the Baker troll hasn't.

Legend
Legend
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

Can we drop another $230 million to get another 4-point bump in QBR?
Maybe we can crack 60% and 1200 yds?!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

DeShaun was shaking rust of missing 1 full season and 11 games. When everyone was in mid-season form, he was attempting to operate in a brand-new offense from the one he last operated in. He was trying to figure out how to best utilize the talent around him since he never played with them before. They were also, trying to figure out how to play with a brand new QB they never played with before. I do fully expect that we see a completely different DeShaun next year after he completed an entire off-season program with his new teammates and builds chemistry on and off the field with them. He went .500 in his first 6 games to end this season and put-up better stats than last year's so called QB.

Baker's arm was also taped to his body the last 6 games of the season. So, it's probably not even a fair comparison.

Watson signed his contract in March of 2022.
He was given a playbook at that time.
He had all of training camp to practice with the team.
He has had 7 months to learn the offense... before he played his first game.
He knows all of the plays and who his first and second and third reads are in the offense.
He had 2 weeks of practice before playing his first game.
He was up to speed by the time he stepped onto the field.

If you look at all of the players that come back from IR in the middle of the season (after being out from the year before), none of them look rusty after 1-2 games.
Watson looked like back backup QB.

Watson's QBR average was 34.6 putting him at #31 between Miles Davis and Mack Jones.
Watson's QB rating average was 79.1 putting him at # 30 between Carson Wentz and Baker Mayfield.

Watson's stats (this year) are worse in pretty much every category compared to his rookie year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

DeShaun was shaking rust of missing 1 full season and 11 games. When everyone was in mid-season form, he was attempting to operate in a brand-new offense from the one he last operated in. He was trying to figure out how to best utilize the talent around him since he never played with them before. They were also, trying to figure out how to play with a brand new QB they never played with before. I do fully expect that we see a completely different DeShaun next year after he completed an entire off-season program with his new teammates and builds chemistry on and off the field with them. He went .500 in his first 6 games to end this season and put-up better stats than last year's so called QB.

Baker's arm was also taped to his body the last 6 games of the season. So, it's probably not even a fair comparison.

Watson signed his contract in March of 2022.
He was given a playbook at that time.
He had all of training camp to practice with the team.
He has had 7 months to learn the offense... before he played his first game.
He knows all of the plays and who his first and second and third reads are in the offense.
He had 2 weeks of practice before playing his first game.
He was up to speed by the time he stepped onto the field.

If you look at all of the players that come back from IR in the middle of the season (after being out from the year before), none of them look rusty after 1-2 games.
Watson looked like back backup QB.

Watson's QBR average was 34.6 putting him at #31 between Miles Davis and Mack Jones.
Watson's QB rating average was 79.1 putting him at # 30 between Carson Wentz and Baker Mayfield.

Watson's stats (this year) are worse in pretty much every category compared to his rookie year.

And he is still an upgrade over Baker!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Right. I'm the one who brought Baker up. rolleyes

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Let's see what Watson does playing a whole season first.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Watson's escapability and pocket sense is extraordinary. He still has that aspect of his gaem

If we are nearly seeing the ceiling of his ability to read defenses pre and post snap and the speed of his progressions, then I think most fans will be disappointed come the close of the 2023 season. I still don't believe the value of the Watson trade has anything to do with Baker - BM time here was done and exemplified in this last game where TJ Watt got chipped every play even with Watson's elevated pocket awareness and athleticism. Compare that to last year where repeatedly Watt was left 1 on 1 versus our 3rd string LT and much less athletic QB who was badly hurt ... I think at that point the relationship was already dead and buried. At the time I didn't want to believe a HC would hang a player out to dry, but after the 4th, 5th, 6th sack maybe you make an adjustment. But 9 sacks and four by Watt - and still going 1 on 1 with Watt?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Not yet... But I certainly hope you turn out to be right.

P
Legend
Legend
P

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

And Baker wasn't signed to a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract. Can you explain what Baker's numbers have to do with a QB the Browns chose to pay 230 million? Thanks in advance.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The post I was referencing said Baker had better stats in almost every category (you conveniently left that off your post) and I was showing that he did not. Watson was actually an improvement from that bust over the last 6 games this year vs last year. I fully expect Watson to be much improved from these 6 starts next year. But as lack luster as they were they were better than Baker's.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c:

Once again you have decided to ignore who brought him up in the first place and only address those who responded. Some things never change.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Right. I'm the one who brought Baker up. rolleyes

Oh come on, Comparisons are only natural..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Watson 2022 stats

6 games

170 attempts
99 completions
58.2% completion %
1103 passing yards
6.5 avg.
7 TDs
5 INTs
79.1 Rating
38.6 QBR

193 attempts
103 completions
53.3 % completion%
1,093 passing yards
5.5 avg
9 TDs
10 INTs
52.8 Rating
34.6 QBR

The sad part about this set of numbers is that it's just like their career stats! Damn near identical.

Legend
Legend
I have another question. In our gameday threads the same poster has posted repeatedly that, "Watson can't read a defense." Is this true? Somewhat true? Not true at all?

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not true. He has demonstrated in the past that he is very good at reading defenses. That does not go away.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
I have another question. In our gameday threads the same poster has posted repeatedly that, "Watson can't read a defense." Is this true? Somewhat true? Not true at all?

I think only the coaches and the QB himself REALLY know. In his six games this year, he didn't really do anything special - including what looks like a reading of the defense.

Our offensive pass-catching weapons have been subpar for a long time - and this year was no different. When pass-catchers run wide open, you'll look like a great reader of a defense. When they don't...you won't.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20

I think only the coaches and the QB himself REALLY know. In his six games this year, he didn't really do anything special - including what looks like a reading of the defense.

Our offensive pass-catching weapons have been subpar for a long time - and this year was no different. When pass-catchers run wide open, you'll look like a great reader of a defense. When they don't...you won't.

If you look at his last 2 playoff games vs the Buffalo Bills and the Kansas City Chiefs he throws for 635 yards with 3 TD's and 0 Int's and an average QBR of 108.5. Does that sound like a QB that cannot read defenses? By the way he beat the Bills and lost to Chiefs.

I also read where a poster was saying he throw's interceptions in big playoff caliber games. That does not seem to be the truth either. Sounds like a poster that just does not like Watson, the team in general, or was just trolling.

Legend
Legend
Watson missed a lot of football over the last 2 seasons. Defenses evolve and scheme rapidly. He’s got his work cut out for him. What could possibly go wrong?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't disagree...but those playoff games were a long, long time ago...and with guys who can/could get open and catch the ball.

My point of view is that we can't say - after 6 games here - whether we was/will-be good or bad at reading defenses here.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Worst trade ever...

Link Copied to Clipboard