Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1999332 01/10/23 11:44 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
We need to get much better at DT, maybe another receiver with explosiveness. The thought of bringing in Hopkins is intriguing; he and Amari could be a big duel-threat. But Bell and Woods, perhaps even Schwartz, will get another shot.

I hope we throw money at a big-time DT, or two of them, really. Who is out there in FA we might covet? (keeping in mind we will have a new DC).

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I just read this and it seems plausible:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...son_for_offensive_help/s1_16697_38340420

The Browns need more from the receiver group in order to evolve into a passing offense.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's a passing league 1st but KS and Berry didn't get the memo.
Hence why they haven't exactly drafted elite talents out of college
Who was the LAST drafted WR by the Browns that amassed
1000 yds in a season and 9 or more TDs?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I don't know how I feel about Hopkins. He will be 31 next season and his base salary will be near $20M, same as Cooper. That is quite a lot for two WRs. I think it would be a better combo than Landry/Beckham but still not keen about allocating that much money. Maybe they intend to restructure Cooper and could do something with Hopkins, but many that's a lot of money for Hopkins at his age, IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/deandre-hopkins-12307/

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
In terms of WRs, I do agree with the general sentiment that a speed WR/ deep threat would be ideal. Schwartz has not worked out so far.

One name I'd like to see the Browns look into would be Mecole Hardman. He'll be a FA and is one of the fastest WRs in the game. Has been inconsistent but with the Chiefs was pretty productive and flashed at times, granted due in part to Mahomes. He's 24 (will be 25 next season) won't cost an arm and a leg, and could complement Cooper and let DPJ continue to develop. I think there is some upside here.

Just a thought.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
One WR, One LB, Two DT's.

Cap is an issue. if Berry can work some cap magic Hopkins would be nice for 2 years. but probably not at that price.
I expect DT to be addressed in the draft but it would be nice to add Da'Ron Payne via FA.

No clue what to expect at LB. Do we kick the tires on Walker and hope to get a healthy year? Bring back Jones at a price cut?

I do not think we can add any more than one piece via FA due to the cap.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Cap is an issue.

It really isn't. Easy transactions will take place to free up plenty of cash.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Berry investing a ton of money in the LB position. I think they would like to bring Walker back and have a healthy JOK. From there maybe a piece or two. I see this FO valuing other position group far above the LB unit.

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Don't be surprised if the Berry takes a extensive look at a pair
Of Bengals in Jessie Bates and Germaine Pratt.
Bates was franchised and they simply don't have the luxury
To resign him to top tier money
Pratt won't be cheap either. He is a PFF top 5 rated LB.
Both players are notorious for creating turnovers and being
Run stoppers

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think the salary cap is much of a factor.

It's early and things can change w/FAs and their respective teams, but here are some guys we possibly could consider.

DTs:

Dalvin Tomlinson---Vikings
DaRon Payne---Washington
Dre'mont Jones---Denver
Zach Allen---Arizona
David Onyemeta---NO
Chris Wormley---Pit
Sheldon Rankins---Jets

I'll be back w/more positions later.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
In terms of WRs, I do agree with the general sentiment that a speed WR/ deep threat would be ideal. Schwartz has not worked out so far.

One name I'd like to see the Browns look into would be Mecole Hardman. He'll be a FA and is one of the fastest WRs in the game. Has been inconsistent but with the Chiefs was pretty productive and flashed at times, granted due in part to Mahomes. He's 24 (will be 25 next season) won't cost an arm and a leg, and could complement Cooper and let DPJ continue to develop. I think there is some upside here.

Just a thought.

I agree with a speed guy. I also think we need one who is a quick twitch receiver, if the speed guy isn't that. Think a guy like jarvis. Not so much a deep threat but a guy who can get open quickly over the short and intermediate routes.

Watson needs what Welker was to Brady.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Considering all factors this year free agency and trades will be super important.

Starting in the second round and then on down through the draft rounds it is not realistic to count on real impactful contributions from draft picks in their rookie season.

We are now a veteran team with key starters in place.

We need free agency and possible trades to fill out the starters on this team.

Once the DC is in place and whatever coaching changes that could follow. Berry needs to go hunting armed with what KS and the staff plan for scheme changes.

The draft for the most part will be players we hope to develop.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Let's take a look at some FA WRs. It's not an inspiring list.

Jakobi Meyers---NE [Good slot receiver and some outside production]
JuJu Smith-Schuster---KC [Tough guy]
Mercole Hardman---KC [Speed]
Parris Campbell---Indy [Injure a lot, but talented]
DJ Chark [Expensive]
Sterling Shephard---[Coming off major injury]
Olamide Zaccheaus---Atlanta [Fast, short, former RB in college]

Legend
Legend
🤮

It would be amazing if we could land DHop. Don't really care about the salary either. Maybe they'll take a 5th and JJIII.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I hope we throw money at a big-time DT, or two of them, really. Who is out there in FA we might covet? (keeping in mind we will have a new DC).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-tackle/all/

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
🤮

It would be amazing if we could land DHop. Don't really care about the salary either. Maybe they'll take a 5th and JJIII.

He's 30, already. I would be surprised if we went after him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I don't know how I feel about Hopkins. He will be 31 next season and his base salary will be near $20M, same as Cooper. That is quite a lot for two WRs. I think it would be a better combo than Landry/Beckham but still not keen about allocating that much money. Maybe they intend to restructure Cooper and could do something with Hopkins, but many that's a lot of money for Hopkins at his age, IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/deandre-hopkins-12307/

Not to mention the Cardinals will want a 1st round pick for him, which the Browns do not have, or multiple mid round picks, which would I do not see Berry parting for a 31 year old WR and has dealt with injuries the past two seasons.

I agree that Mecole Hardman could be interesting.

Be interesting to see how healthy he is when off season workouts begin, but I believe the Browns envisioned a bigger role for Jakeem Grant than just returns duties prior to his injuries.

Either way, the Browns absolutely have to upgrade the WR position this offseason.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Break the checkbook for Da'Ron Payne! I'll be surprised if he gets out of Washington without working out deal though.

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Legend
Legend
D'Hop is expensive and a little long in the tooth.

But he is not to old for a two or three year deal and he is really good.

Plus he has played with DW.

JJ3 has not impressed me. He talks about production but I see little.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think D-Hop wants to rework his contract to get even more money. That is why I didn't list him.

Regarding the DIs, I pretty much agree w/you about Washington wanting to keep Payne, but they have a lot of money tied up in that DL.

Here is a little infor from other DIs from the list I posted earlier.

16. DI DALVIN TOMLINSON, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Tomlinson has been shuffled around on the interior after playing mostly nose tackle with the New York Giants to start his career, with Minnesota lining him up more as a three-technique when playing alongside Michael Pierce (in 2021) or Harrison Phillips. Tomlinson has never missed more than five tackles in a season, and his 83.0 run-defense grade since 2017 is a top-16 mark at the position.

While Tomlinson missed Weeks 9-12 due to injury, he managed to post a career-best 79.1 pass-rush grade and a sixth straight season to start his career grading above 74.0 overall. He’s a better fit as a zero- or one-technique, with his 55 tackles for loss or no gain since 2017 the third-most among interior players and with his pass-rush upside better deployed as an added benefit but not the primary feature.

21. DI DRE'MONT JONES, DENVER BRONCOS
Jones still has room to round out his game, but the value of an interior pass rusher has never been more apparent than during the 2022 season, and that’s exactly where Jones wins. Since he entered the league in 2019, Jones’ 138 quarterback pressures are tied for the 19th most among interior defenders, with his 14.5% pass-rush win rate ranking 11th best over the span.

Jones set career highs in snaps played, quarterback pressures and stops this season. Players with his skill set don’t hit free agency too often, and teams looking for a 3-4 defensive end will be very interested in bringing him aboard this March.

24. DI ZACH ALLEN, ARIZONA CARDINALS
Allen has taken advantage of mentorship from future first-ballot Hall of Famer J.J. Watt early in his career, and he took a big leap in 2022. Allen earned his first run-defense grade above 60.0 and first pass-rush grade above 70.0, with a career-best 35 quarterback pressures and 8.3% pressure rate.

Allen could be a big benefactor of the pending market explosion among interior defenders, though he will land in the second or third tier of the position group.

48. DI DAVID ONYEMATA, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Onyemata started the 2022 season serving a six-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, and it’s fair to wonder if that had something to do with his 2020-21 season grades both being over 80.0 before earning his 64.0 mark in 2022. Nevertheless, Onyemata continued to be a very effective pass rusher from the interior, racking up 35 quarterback pressures. Over the past three seasons, Onyemata’s 11.4% pressure percentage ranks 11th among interior defenders, and he was still just shy of 10% in 2022. Onyemata turned 30 years old this season but still has some good football left in him.

All this information is found at this link: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by FATE
🤮

He's 30, already. I would be surprised if we went after him.

I know, I know. I haven't watched the Cards much, but the numbers look like he's on the decline as well.

It won't happen for only one reason though -- trade compensation. Not salary and not because he's 30. He's an all-time great because he's professional, runs great routes, has a huge catch radius... and the strongest hands in the history of WRs. In his three years with Watson on the roster, 315 rec, over 5000yds, 31TD. I know it's easy to play turn-back-the-clock, but the synergy would be game 1, imo.

Futile discussion though, someone will overpay a bit, and it won't be us.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd be quite happy to land Zach Allen in FA. Young guy that has gotten better each year.

Make is happen, Berry.

2 members like this: FL_Dawg, GratefulDawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like Allen a lot. Every time I watched the Cardinals this year, Allen was making plays.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is a site where you can look at all the FA. It includes things like being able to click on positions, salary for 2022, stats, age, etc.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We won't be bringing Clowney back, so we probably need to bring in a DE/Edge guy, as Thomas and Winovich are just rotational guys. A lot will depend on what DC we hire, but here a few guys that potentially will be available.

Marcus Davenport----Saints [very good, but often injured. 26 years old, made about $3.5 million last year.]

Melvin Ingram---Dolphins [cheap, old, still productive.]

Justin Houston---Ravens [see Ingram's comments.]

Brandon Graham---Eagles [old, productive, very expensive.]

Chales Omenihu---49ers [good pass rusher, not good against run, versatile.]

Clelin Ferrell---Raiders [1st round bust, but played well after getting back into lineup.]

Carlos Dunlap---Chiefs [old, not expensive, could be part of rotation.]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...al-landing-spots-for-cardinals-receiver/

From the article:

The Browns aren't exactly loaded with cap space (projected $1.9M), and they're also short on ammunition after selling the farm for QB Deshaun Watson. But they've got a clear need for better depth behind Amari Cooper out wide, and Kevin Stefanski's leash may not be long for growing the passing offense with Watson, who spent four years throwing downfield strikes to Hopkins during their time in Houston.

Update: The Browns cap space currently sits at ($9,174,818)

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255

From the article:

The Browns aren't exactly loaded with cap space (projected $1.9M), and they're also short on ammunition after selling the farm for QB Deshaun Watson. But they've got a clear need for better depth behind Amari Cooper out wide, and Kevin Stefanski's leash may not be long for growing the passing offense with Watson, who spent four years throwing downfield strikes to Hopkins during their time in Houston.

Thank goodness we don't have to sign a first rounder - frees up some extra cap space !

Obviously the cap space is a moving target and can be manipulated and Berry seems good at it - but at the end of the day there is a bubble in the wall paper and it gets moved, not eliminated. The idea that you can sign a guy to a $1/4 Billion contract and it doesn't have any impact on future cap space and the money available for free agents etc seems odd to me. I mean if is such a non-issue why the hell doesn't Baltimore just pay Lamar $300 million and be done with it?

Last edited by mgh888; 01/12/23 01:32 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by steve0255

From the article:

Does this projection include the projected salary cap increase or is it just taking the current cap and project what space is available? Usually, when the league starts their fiscal year, they adjust the cap. There could be more space coming yet. I would also predict a few renegotiations that would free up some additional space and cuts like maybe John Johnson 3 that could save 12M. Before it is all said and done the Browns will probably end up between 20 and 30M to spend.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

We were talking about the Browns salary cap in the Browns News and Notes thread. And that is fine. But, it would be nice to keep that talk in this thread and talk about which players we may to "Upgrade" the roster in this one.

Legend
Legend
How did we go from having the most roll-over earlier in the season, to being over the cap now????

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The cap space shown is with the projected cap space for 2023. The cap space for 2022 was 208.2M. The project cap space for 2023 is 225M an 8% increase of 16.8M. From 2013 to 2020, the cap had been growing at a pace of $10.74 million a year. So, a cap in the $220 million range next season would mark a return to that growth rate so 225M was used.
For the Browns, 225M plus the carryover of $27,593,789 gives the total of $252,593,789 in team salary cap availability. As it stands today, the Browns cap liability for 2023 is $261,768,607 leaving the current cap space at ($9,174,818).

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Because of all the money Berry has put into the prorated bonus is now coming back to show in the cap. The Browns had almost 30M in excess cap but in 2023:

Garrett cap number in 2022 - $12,961,120_______2023 cap number - $29,176,120

Watson cap number in 2022 - $9,395,500________2023 cap number - $54,993,000

Two players - increased cap number by year over year by $61,812,500 which eats up the entire cap carryover of $27,593,789 plus a whole lot more.

Last edited by steve0255; 01/12/23 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have learned that if there is one poster who most understands the cap space and the salary cap it's you.

Some people just aren't as accepting of anything less than positive news. Often times it's facts be damned. Of course Berry can once again restructure contracts to manipulate the cap this coming season. But the results of that would simply kick the can down the road a bit. At some point the bill comes due.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks Pit, I have a Doctorate in Business Administration, so I have a background dealing in finance - besides, helps keep the mind sharp in my retirement.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I want as a FA DT, Isaiah Buggs. Watched him play in Detroit’s last game, and he looked good to me. He’s 26, was drafted by the Steelers in 2019, played at Alabama. He’s 6’3” 295lbs. He was on a 1 year with Detroit and wont cost alot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/.amp/news/what-lions-are-getting-in-isaiah-buggs

Legend
Legend
Off the top of my head:

DT (two of them)
DE (two of them)
LB
WR (dynamic playmaker)
OL Depth

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
iluv mentioned Bates and Germaine Pratt from the Bengals earlier. Bates will be really expensive. Pratt is a guy who could be on our radar.

LB GERMAINE PRATT, CINCINNATI BENGALS
With both Bengals starting safeties in Jessie Bates III and Vonn Bell pending free agents, a big extension for wide receiver Tee Higgins likely in play and fellow off-ball linebacker Logan Wilson also eligible for an extension after the season, it’s possible Pratt hits the market even after a career year.

Pratt’s 90.1 coverage grade was the best mark in the NFL. He missed just two tackles in coverage and allowed only four explosive receptions. Pratt didn’t miss many tackles as a run defender, either, whiffing on just 5.9% of opportunities after three straight seasons above 10% to start his career. Last but certainly not least, Pratt also peaked at the right time, with his 90.1 overall grade since Week 8 the top mark among linebackers.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Legend
Legend
Updated #Browns 2023 cap space

NFL Cap $225m
Currently Cap $1,940,660 (inc rollover)

JJ3 June 1st Cut +$9.75m
Watson Restructure +$35,936,000

AJ Green ERFA -~$2.629m
Stille ERFA -$0.87m
8 Draft Picks -~$8m

Cap Space $36,127,660💰
(51/53 players)

V
Legend
Legend
V
The draft might be the way to go for a WR. It's a weaker class than the previous few years, bu there is talent that should be available to us. Here are a few guys.

Jalen Hyatt, Tennessee. Had a great season for the Volunteers. He had 67 receptions for 1,267 yards this season. That was 4th best overall. His 15 TDs tied for first overall. Won the Biletnikoff Award last week. Had over 200 yards and 5 TDs against Alabama. Extremely fast. Just runs by guys. Did not play against Man Press very much, so it is unknown if he will be able to run routes against better competition.

Jaxon Smith Najigba, The Ohio State University. Was a preseason Heisman candidate after leading the Buckeyes in catches and yards on a team that had first round picks, Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson. Was hurt almost all year and that will lead to his stock falling. Doesn't possess elite speed, but catches a lot of deep passes. Great hands, expert route runner. His game last year in the Rose Bowl was one of the best ever. Some say he will go in the first round. PFF has him slipping to the 2nd. He will probably work out of the slot.

Rome Odunze, Washington. Had a really good year. Tall at 6'3". Good speed down the field. Explosive after the catch. Strong hands. Sometimes, he catches the ball w/his body. Quick in tight spaces, but not a quick twitch athlete.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
I didn’t know Hopkins was 30, nor the cost it’d take to get him. Yeah forget that idea.

We DO need a Chase-type receiver, someone who can keep a D honest and open holes in the secondary. Maybe Woods or Bell will make big leaps in year 2. Maybe they won’t. Recovers usually improve their 2nd season, it’s a big jump for them, they either get better or they become just another scrub.

Schwartz? I am losing faith.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The draft might be the way to go for a WR. It's a weaker class than the previous few years, bu there is talent that should be available to us. Here are a few guys.

Jalen Hyatt, Tennessee. Had a great season for the Volunteers. He had 67 receptions for 1,267 yards this season. That was 4th best overall. His 15 TDs tied for first overall. Won the Biletnikoff Award last week. Had over 200 yards and 5 TDs against Alabama. Extremely fast. Just runs by guys. Did not play against Man Press very much, so it is unknown if he will be able to run routes against better competition.

Jaxon Smith Najigba, The Ohio State University. Was a preseason Heisman candidate after leading the Buckeyes in catches and yards on a team that had first round picks, Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson. Was hurt almost all year and that will lead to his stock falling. Doesn't possess elite speed, but catches a lot of deep passes. Great hands, expert route runner. His game last year in the Rose Bowl was one of the best ever. Some say he will go in the first round. PFF has him slipping to the 2nd. He will probably work out of the slot.

Rome Odunze, Washington. Had a really good year. Tall at 6'3". Good speed down the field. Explosive after the catch. Strong hands. Sometimes, he catches the ball w/his body. Quick in tight spaces, but not a quick twitch athlete.

"Jaxon Smith Najigba, The Ohio State University. Was a preseason Heisman candidate after leading the Buckeyes in catches and yards on a team that had first round picks, Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson. Was hurt almost all year and that will lead to his stock falling. Doesn't possess elite speed, but catches a lot of deep passes. Great hands, expert route runner. His game last year in the Rose Bowl was one of the best ever. Some say he will go in the first round. PFF has him slipping to the 2nd. He will probably work out of the slot."

I would be ecstatic to draft JSN. He is special. I am biased as a Buckeye fan, but this guy is the real deal. His Rose Bowl performance was unreal, but we was lights out all season in 2021.

Last edited by KashDawg; 01/12/23 09:46 PM.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season upgrades

Link Copied to Clipboard