Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Another way too is talking to the kids College coach. I don't know anyone more important and knowledgeable to give important and pertinent info on a player.

While on the surface this sounds great I have ever rarely heard a college coach not pimp his players no matter what.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting...

Legend
Legend
Mayo has made it pretty clear that he feels that he can make the jump... and that is his wish.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think a lot of it has to do with scheme. But this isn't as complicated as you're making it sound. Most of the best teams in the NFL have very good passing QB's. Those who don't have one want one. Their offenses are predicated on using the passing game to open up the run game. They use multiple WR sets. As such as the game has changed so has the abilities you are looking for in your LB'ers. The teams you will have to beat if you ever want to advance in the playoffs win a SB will require you to have LB'ers who are fast and agile enough to compete in coverage. Now I do understand that you need some physical LB'ers to use in obvious running downs.

But are running downs as obvious as they used to be? I don't think so. Some people consider it foolish to pass on third and 3 or 4. But I believe that people who say that underestimate the power of surprise in play calling. Yes, with the evolution of the game so comes the evolution in what you need the most at the LB'er position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Wouldn't surprise me to see Mayo stay with Pats until an HC gig opens up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While at the same time this situation may force the Pats to give him the title of DC in order to keep him. Being a named NFL DC would only further the likelihood he would get HC'ing offers moving forward.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1999670 01/12/23 03:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Once again a thread turns to ****.

Try and have a decent discussion and wham a bunch of BS starts.

PitDAWG #1999681 01/12/23 03:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
While at the same time this situation may force the Pats to give him the title of DC in order to keep him. Being a named NFL DC would only further the likelihood he would get HC'ing offers moving forward.

Maybe... and BTW, I agree with Milk, and tend to think he's staying in New England.

I don't think the Pats want to risk any friction with Steve Belichick, and I think Bill likes the ambiguity of having no coordinators named.

I'd expect a new title like "associate head coach". It would serve to show that the Patriots have real respect for his role, and probably start rumblings that he's being groomed to take Bill's job. That would create more of a likelihood he would be interviewed for HC gig next year, if it doesn't happen this year.

FATE #1999684 01/12/23 03:43 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with your premise here. But if what your doing is to avoid friction with Steve Belichick, wouldn't advancing Mayo to the associate HC position which elevates Mayo to an even higher position than the DC accomplish the same thing?

#gmstrong
bonefish #1999685 01/12/23 03:44 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
Once again a thread turns to ****.

Try and have a decent discussion and wham a bunch of BS starts.

Keep reading. It turned around.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1999686 01/12/23 03:44 PM
Legend
Legend
This article provides an in depth look at what to expect from Flores:

Looking at Flores' coverage preferences

The Browns ran a great deal of two-high looks in Cover-4 coverage, mixing in single-high Cover-3 and Cover-1 looks. If the Browns look to bring in Brian Flores, they will still have their Cover-1 looks in man, but the uptick in man coverage overall will skyrocket. Flores is not afraid to rotate down, give Cover-0 pre-snap looks, and risk his backend support for front-end pressure.

The Browns have the cornerbacks to man up with anyone, and even Grant Delpit can hand with running backs and the occasional tight end. However, if the Browns are going to start gunning downhill with little support over the top, a true free safety who can get depth and cover range will be a massive, massive priority.

Over the span of his last two years with the Dolphins, they gave up a passer rating of under 40 when they dropped into Cover-0 and Cover-1.

Flores is not afraid to bring the heat

Flores is among the most aggressive defensive coordinators in the league when it comes to bringing the heat. In his last seasons in Miami, Flores ranked second in both blitz totals and blitz rates as he has no fear in reconciling the risks that accompany sending extra bodies at the quarterback.

He loves sending defensive backs out zero and one looks, routinely confusing quarterbacks pre-snap before dropping pressure off or sending more. Going from Joe Woods, who was quite gunshy at bringing pressure, to Flores would be a night-and-day difference for the Browns should they hire Flores.

What Brian Flores prefers to show up front

The Browns would make a shift from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense, but this is the smallest change. For the most part, the NFL is dominated by sub-packages, so base defense philosophy is microscopic despite the larger outcry and deal it is made out to be on the local media level.

The bigger shift, however, is in the fronts Flores decides to use as the Browns would shift to a tite look upfront rather than deploying a one-tech and three-tech. Perrion Winfrey and maybe an occasional look at Taven Bryan (should they re-sign him) fit this mold, however, that is where the list ends for defensive tackles currently on the roster. A true run-stuffing nose tackle will be needed.

Myles Garrett and Alex Wright would give the Browns a massive set of edge setters against the run, however, in base looks. Both have the ability to kick in and stick their hand in the ground as well as Flores could look to get exotic upfront and bring on pass rush specific guys off the edge.

What changes need made to defensive personnel for the Browns?

A shift to an aggressive Cover-0 and Cover-1 preference that Flores loves will not make a big difference to the cornerback room as Denzel Ward and Greg Newsome II are twitchy and sticky enough to hang in the hip pocket of any wide receiver in the NFL.

The biggest question mark in this defensive scheme shift, however, would be rookie cornerback Martin Emerson Jr. While he had a great deal of success in his first season, he is best suited in a Cover-3 or in backside poach looks where he has a bracket over the top. He does not move as well as the other two given his longer, less fluid frame.

Watching how Flores deployed Jevon Holland in Miami, there is an excellent blueprint for the success that an emerging Grant Delpit could have in Cleveland in this scheme. A true centerfielder at free safety that the Browns currently lack is a massive need from this group, however.

Upfront, using a 3-4 base would give the Browns a great deal of flexibility up front. The Browns need a big run stuffer in their defensive trenches one way or the other, so a shift to a tite front does not impact that need. If anything, allowing Myles Garrett the luxury to put his hand in the ground in three-technique, 4i, or five-technique looks in addition to standing up off the edge gives the Browns a great deal of versatility.

This plays into the usage of the massive Alex Wright as well, who kicked inside with a great deal of frequency as well. If the Browns kick Garrett or Wright in on sub-packages as well, they can also add speed rushers off the edge to bring onto the field to really get pressure up front.

Adding a true free safety, some sub-package speed off the edge, and an overhaul at defensive tackle will be needed in 2023 if the Browns hire Flores (or Jerod Mayo for that matter)

Final thoughts on Brian Flores and his fit with the Browns

Flores will bring a small shift to base packages, from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and shift to a title front upfront. These changes, however, are the most minimal of them all. The bigger shift will come in coverage and blitz philosophy where the Browns would get much more aggressive in Cover-0 looks and exotic blitzes and pre-snap disguises.

The hiring of Flores would signify a massive shift in defensive identity for the Browns. The hire at defensive coordinator will say a ton about who the Browns want to be defensively. If they hire a guy like Schwartz or Sean Desai, it signifies they are fine with the overall scheme but are seeking more creativity in how it is executed.

Hiring Flores, however, means the leadership in Cleveland wants a culture shock to the system. It signifies they no longer want to operate their defense from the back end first, but will prioritize what happens up front to force adjustments to the quarterbacks they face.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
bonefish #1999687 01/12/23 03:54 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It did seem the team drafted CB's who were highly touted for man coverage. It would seem like a positive to use man coverage more. While the old saying is true, "You live by the blitz and you die by the blitz", using it more than we have I too think would be a positive. It seems to me the biggest issue has been the communication and getting the D all on the same page. We actually heard it from the players this season. I'm certainly not against having a DC that implements more discipline but I think that communication was the biggest issue.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1999690 01/12/23 04:14 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I am fine with either - and as the article mentions teams are in their base defense maybe 30-33% of the time. But I do not embrace the idea of Myles Garrett being part of "massive set of edge setters against the run" - but I do think Flores would find ways to utilize MG. And maybe the 3-4 actually plays to the strength of JOK and Delphit? The flip side is finding a starting, impactful starting NT to play in that 3-4 might be hard, and then to add depth?

When I read articles about Schwartz - they talk about how creative and brilliant he was in coming up with schemes and variations. Disguising pressure and mixing up where an extra man may be launched from. Either is fine but maybe I have a slight preference for Schwartz ...

Other positives and negatives for Flores - to my mind - he probably brings more of the hard nose attitude and culture change/shock that the entire team and coaching staff might need. The flip side is that if Watson/Stefanski don't hit the ground running early in the season, you could see calls for Flores to replace KS by mid-season which I think would be detrimental no matter what.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
PitDAWG #1999691 01/12/23 04:31 PM
Legend
Legend
For myself I had major issues with the defense.

I believe that blitzing is an effective tactical tool when used strategically. IMO Woods misused the talent on the team.

Ward, Newsome, Greedy and to degree Emerson can all play man.

JJ3 missed tackles at alarming rate and was poor in use as a FS.

I agree with the article about the serious need for a FS.

Conceptually, I like what I read about Flores. Sounds quite a bit like what Tomlin runs. It still requires using the players skills within the scheme.

Schwartz no doubt has a resume of great experience. If he is chosen. I will have no problem.

However, I like defenses that are hard to read. Hard to figure who is coming from where. I believe quarterbacks need to be uncomfortable. Make them have questions in pre-snap. During a game it makes them speed up their reads and helps to make them commit errors. I like taking the ball away.

If a defense takes no risks and consistently depends upon four to bring pressure. They are easier to prepare for. Miami tooks us apart and made it look easy.

1 member likes this: FATE
PitDAWG #1999696 01/12/23 04:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't really disagree with your premise here. But if what your doing is to avoid friction with Steve Belichick, wouldn't advancing Mayo to the associate HC position which elevates Mayo to an even higher position than the DC accomplish the same thing?

Hmm, I guess that could be possible. But that would only be true if Steve has a problem with that, right? Steve calls the plays on defense. He's confident and comfortable in that role. I don't know what his ambitions are, but he may actually be the heir-apparent? Maybe everyone knows that. If Mayo isn't interested in DC as a stepping stone -- maybe this scenario works best for everyone. I think DC is Steve's natural progression, while Mayo doesn't need to take that role to elevate himself to HC material. I also think it would be strange to make Mayo the DC and still have Steve calling the plays.

Milk Man #1999697 01/12/23 04:53 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I get excited when I read articles like that with Flores. I think he would be a great pick up at DC. The problem is we just spent a year basically waiting on the franchise QB then a dramatic defensive switch would not garner overnight success and could be something that year two in will be better than year 1. I don't know how much patience the team has left. If he is the best candidate, then I think we must hire Flores. But if winning now matters and making smaller changes and getting the most out of the players and scheme we run now is Schwartz then I think hiring him is best. I don't have a problem with Flores. I think he is a very good coach and I like his aggressiveness and think that is something the Browns have needed on defense for a while now. I just think if they were going to make that dramatic change on defense it should have happened this year while they were having a dramatic change on offense and the cultures could have grown together.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Day of the Dawg #1999704 01/12/23 05:27 PM
Legend
Legend
You make a good point about Schwartz.

He could make for a smoother transfer.

I prefer what Flores runs but that is just me and what I like in defensive scheme.

If you have a great front four in a base 4-3 you do a lot. But that is hard to assemble. It is like all top ten first round picks unless you can find that talent in later rounds. The 85 Bears had that kind of front four. 15-1. And it was a miracle they lost a game.

I would kill for a team like that. I don't care if it were for only one season. I would love to dominate like that team did for a year.

mgh888 #1999712 01/12/23 05:51 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
I am fine with either - and as the article mentions teams are in their base defense maybe 30-33% of the time. But I do not embrace the idea of Myles Garrett being part of "massive set of edge setters against the run" - but I do think Flores would find ways to utilize MG. And maybe the 3-4 actually plays to the strength of JOK and Delphit? The flip side is finding a starting, impactful starting NT to play in that 3-4 might be hard, and then to add depth?

When I read articles about Schwartz - they talk about how creative and brilliant he was in coming up with schemes and variations. Disguising pressure and mixing up where an extra man may be launched from. Either is fine but maybe I have a slight preference for Schwartz ...

Other positives and negatives for Flores - to my mind - he probably brings more of the hard nose attitude and culture change/shock that the entire team and coaching staff might need. The flip side is that if Watson/Stefanski don't hit the ground running early in the season, you could see calls for Flores to replace KS by mid-season which I think would be detrimental no matter what.

I like Schwartz as well.

One thing about Schwrtz is he is very sound with his defensive front. He has a proven history of getting the most out of that unit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1999713 01/12/23 05:54 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's a good article about Flores. Thanks.

Like others, I'm good w/either Flores or Schwartz although I think this is way more about players than schemes.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Pit...the Wood's scheme was part of the problem with the Browns defense and with a new DC we should see that problem corrected.

That scheme left the Browns defense vulnerable in the flat and the short middle because our LBers would quickly read pass and drop too deep, leaving the underneath open. Losing MLB Walker in the 3rd game really hurt, even though Woods' scheme had him out of position to defend the underneath zone.

Walker was the ideal size at 6-1/240, smart, fast, with quick reaction time...how he recovers from the surgery on his torn quad will determine his future with the Browns...he will be a free agent if the Browns do not extend his contract. Jacob Phillips replaced Walker at MLB for 4 games then was lost for the season with a torn peck. Deion Jones filled in the rest of the season..so, no doubt that injuries played a part in the play of the Browns MLB.

Healthy players, new scheme...that should help the Defensive performance in 2023.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, we have had this discussion before about Woods scheme. I provided proof of all the teams that run the same/similar scheme.

Perhaps Woods was not a good communicator? I don't know the answer to that. However, the scheme was not the issue. All schemes can be exploited.

T
Legend
Legend
T
They should have kept Joe Woods.
I'm disappointed that nobody seemed to go to bat for Joe Woods, whether it would have mattered, that of the faces of analytics and ownership, Who stood up for Their guy, Who stood up for what was working and not broken, who stood up for Joe Woods?

They Can, could, and probably will do a lot worse than Joe Woods.
The defense was not broken.
The Defense against the pass, was the best its been since I994, and back then there were different rules.

Want to know why they can't win the division?
They can't even fix the correct of the 3 coordinators
The defense worked out the best
The offense needed fixed and re schemed,
and the special teams was Penalty City.

so, Only in Cleveland? They fired the guy who ran the best ran group of the 3.

Don't cry when they are 4 and I2 next year with one game to play. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I hate reading about schemes, coverages, alignments etc. Then I watch the game and you see a confused mess of players getting run on thru huge holes and receivers so wide open that the wide angle lens can't even fit a defender into the frame.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Does anyone have an example of a DC that was hired that provided an instant turnaround to that teams defense. I can think of OC examples, but nothing dramatic on the D side.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
When Buddy Ryan became the HC of the Arizona Cardinals he installed his D. The year before they were near the bottom in total D. The next year with Ryan they were in the top 15. Quite a turnaround. After that they didn't do so well.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 01/12/23 08:51 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Dan Quinn turned the Cowboys defense around in one year. He was also excellent in Seattle. Not sure about any timelines, though.

How about Belichick w/the Giants? I don't know the answer, but it seems logical to think he improved them a lot.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Belichick had a great 6-year run as DC with the Giants including 2 Super Bowl wins. However, he didn't turn the defense around in one year. In fact, Belichick was the Giants Linebacker and/or special teams coach the previous 6-years before being promoted to the DC position. The previous year the Giants were 9-7 and went to the playoffs and went 1-1. In Belichick's first year, the Giants were 10-6 and went to the playoffs again and finished 1-1. Not exactly a one year turn around but future years produced 2 Super Bowls.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Only when the D was really bad to begin with. If it begins really really bad, then the fix can feel dramatic, but if it were reasonably good to begin with, then a new guy coming in to make some special magic unbelievably good defense in one year is hard to remember.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns DC candidate has head coaching interview request in Carolina as well
It will be interesting if any of the others also get a HC interview
By JaredMueller@JaredKMueller Jan 12, 2023, 5:35pm EST 0 Comments / 0 New

The Cleveland Browns were expected to have competition for some of their targets for their open defensive coordinator position but that competition may be more interesting than expected. Jim Schwartz, Brian Flores, Jerod Mayo and Sean Desai are all respected in the NFL and should be in positions to call defenses next year unless they decide otherwise.

One way that they may not be calling defenses is if they get a chance to be a head coach somewhere. We know that the Browns have placed an emphasis on past head coaching experience in looking for their new coordinator. We also know there is a chance that Schwartz or Flores could be targetted for head coaching positions, although neither has been linked to an interview yet.

Somewhat surprisingly, it is actually Mayo that has the first chance, of the four, to interview for the top job. The Carolina Panthers have requested to interview him for their position according to a report:

The Panthers are in an interesting position. Interim coach Steve Wilks almost got the team to the playoffs after a putrid start under Matt Rhule but seems to have an uphill climb to get the position.

Mayo, a former first-round pick and quality starting linebacker for the New England Patriots, has never held the title of defensive coordinator but has called plays for the Pats for a few years. His only coaching and playing experience is with New England which could be a selling point given Bill Belichick’s resume but no coach off of Belichick’s tree has had much success in the NFL.

Schwartz and Flores interviewed with Cleveland on Wednesday and Thursday. There is no timetable currently set for either Mayo or Desai. With Seattle in the playoffs, Desai’s interview will depend on if the Seahawks advance.

It is likely that Mayo will prioritize the Carolina interview first before scheduling with the Browns.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...Qx5xhpSrvph3sYyDvP7-RpBnbqM0BofRtERU6YRA

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Schwartz is the guy I want.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd seen that mayo was interviewing the the panthers HC position. If Tepper doesn't give it to Wilks I think he's bonkers. But then look what he gave Matt Rhule, anything is possible

O
Legend
Legend
O
I want whoever gives us the best chance to get to a super bowl.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I want whoever gives us the best chance to get to a super bowl.

That is the bottom line for me too and I believe 'prior experience' should be one of the major factors the search team needs to consider.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This is a general comment about coaching hires, and perhaps even anecdotal, but I feel like the flashy, popular name everyone wants rarely hits the mark and it is the unknown, under the radar hire that really pays dividends in the end. I suppose this thought is more geared towards HC hires, but just something I've noticed over the years in the NFL.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
bonefish #1999785 01/13/23 09:26 AM
Legend
Legend
Jake Burns is one of a select few who I pay close attention too.

Here he spells out not in deep detail but the philosophical approach that Flores would bring as opposed to what we have had under Woods.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...nsive-coordinator-202763541/#202763541_2

1 member likes this: mgh888
bonefish #1999788 01/13/23 09:41 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the article. I respect Jake Burns more than any other guy who talks about the Browns.

I don't know if hiring Flores or Schwartz would be the best move. While a shift to a more aggressive philosophy is enticing, I think it might take a couple of years to get the right personnel. I think our window is now. Pushing things back a year is not ideal.

In the end, I don't know who we should hire. Again, I think the NFL is more about players than coaches. I will just trust Berry and Stefanski to hire the right guy.

MemphisBrownie #1999791 01/13/23 09:56 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Good. I don't trust the Belichick tree and never will. Don't want this guy, especially because he doesn't have enough experience. I hope we get Flores. I want someone to wake these guys up from the non chalant attitudes they have.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Versatile Dog #1999794 01/13/23 10:06 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Thanks for the article. I respect Jake Burns more than any other guy who talks about the Browns.

I don't know if hiring Flores or Schwartz would be the best move. While a shift to a more aggressive philosophy is enticing, I think it might take a couple of years to get the right personnel. I think our window is now. Pushing things back a year is not ideal.

In the end, I don't know who we should hire. Again, I think the NFL is more about players than coaches. I will just trust Berry and Stefanski to hire the right guy.

The window is now - it was 2022 too, which is why flushing it down the toilet upset a few posters.

I think there are plenty of examples - Williams when he took over from Hue, Pederson taking over the Jaguars, Belichick getting back up QB's to play at high levels - heck even Stefanski getting the most out of Baker - to suggest that coaching is a very significant part of how a team or an offense/defense performs. While you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop - the right coach can make a Michelin Star rated meal when other coaches make meatloaf with the same ingredients.

mgh888 #1999796 01/13/23 10:08 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
The window is now - it was 2022 too, which is why flushing it down the toilet upset a few posters.

And staying with Baker would have essentially meant flushing the season down the toilet too. At least now, there is higher upside of QB performance.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns DC Candidates

Link Copied to Clipboard