Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
mac #2000057 01/15/23 10:32 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
mac, I started the thread. It is about games being played this weekend and not the Browns. Please stop. There are plenty of threads for you to express your disdain for the Browns.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
One thing I forgot to mention in the SF game was when Tyler Kroft, the former Bengal TE, was supposed to block a guy on a running play. Kroft was running horizontally across the formation and had a chance to block a defender. He ducked his head and totally whiffed on the block. The RB got throttled for a loss and the announcers were confused as to what happened. Did anyone see that? I was thinking that no way Shanny puts that guy back in the game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Goodness. Wonder if his wife is going to file for a divorce?

P
Legend
Legend
P
The Chargers vs Jags game was the tale of two halves. Lawrence went into this game with a 3 to 1 TD to Int. ratio and looked lost and confused right up until the final drive of the first half. From watching him throughout this season he didn't appear to be a totally polished QB but certainly a competent one. Not in that first half. And while the Chargers had some short fields, that Jaguars D didn't look like themselves during that first half either. I have no idea what Pederson said to them at half time but he certainly motivated that offense at half time and prevented a team who could have certainly given up to turn things around on a dime. The D obviously dialed up the pressure and it clearly threw Herbert out of his comfort zone. The Jaguars D looked as advertised in that second half. What a great game that turned out to be!

And San Fran San Franned. An extremely well coached team lived up to their billing and just did what they do. That's no small feat with a rookie/ Mr. Irrelevant QB under center. I agree with what Vers posted that Shanahan should be considered for coach of the year. I just haven't seen the NFL give a lot of consideration for that when a team did so well the prior year and with having such a complete overall team. But the QB situation he has overcome is amazing. Purdy didn't look so great in the first half but had a strong second half performance. He did look Perdy in the second half.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Kroft was running horizontally across the formation and had a chance to block a defender. He ducked his head and totally whiffed on the block.

Saw that whiff and it goes back to FOOTBALL BASICS...if you going to block someone, you have see him. I told my wife it looked like the blocker closed his eyes just before the impact... if you can't see it, you can't block it.

Same goes for tackling..got to see the runner all the way to the impact...let your eyes guide your body...easy to say, but much harder to do. But once you learn to focus your attention on specific small targets, rather than looking at the whole individual, your tackling and blocking will improve.

Like I said...High School football basics...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Herbert is an elite qb who has been hurt by some coaching decisions in LA and also the team's constant battles w/injuries. What is crazy is how many tipped passes he has despite being 6'6". During the game, it was very evident that a lot of his passes are thrown w/a 3/4 motion. That is a significant drop and it negates his superior height. I think it's a gift that so many of these young qbs can throw accurately from different arm angles, but if I was their qb coach, getting Herbert to throw over the top would be a priority. At this point, it looks like a muscle memory thing.

Legend
Legend
I think the giants/Vikes game should be good. The other two today? Maybe not

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Somebody posted on another board that Purdy reminds them of a young Stetson Bennett. rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
5 members like this: Pdawg, 3rd_and_20, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
mac, I started the thread. It is about games being played this weekend and not the Browns. Please stop. There are plenty of threads for you to express your disdain for the Browns.

Well I guess I have to give you 10 out of 10 for consistency.

The Jags game was so much fun to watch - and honestly as soon as they got the one TD, I felt it was going to become a tight game. There's so many facets and angles to a game that it's always unfair to pick out one play and over emphasize it .... but damn if *JOEY Bosa isn't a clown who probably handed the Jags the opportunity to win the game in normal time. And I agree with the commentator said that the movement we seemed to see in ultra slow motion was essentially 'instantaneous with the snap in real time' ... I think Garrett sees people moving like that constantly and I have seen much worse not called across the line from MG.

*Edit - corrected from Nick to Joey.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/15/23 11:42 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you about the tipped passes and not throwing at the balls peak trajectory. That's a coaching issue. As you indicated, it's great to have the ability to thrown from different angles, sidearm, when there's a need to throw around a defender, but that shouldn't be your go to in other situations. Actually Lawrence is also 6'6" and he had a lot of balls tipped as well. I found that strange on the part of both QB's at their height and arm lengths. For me it seemed obvious that the pressure the Jags started putting on Herbert in the second half made all of the difference in the world in Herbert. Not that it's unusual or that it doesn't happen to some great QB's because it does. That word elite gets thrown around a lot. I wouldn't put him in that QB category as of yet but he's certainly on his way there. I mean it does further the case of how poor the Chargers HC is when you call the QB elite but the way he performed in that second half says at least to me he isn't all the way there yet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Nick Bosa plays for SF. It was his older brother, Joey, who plays for the Chargers.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the officiating was really bad throughout the game. The first penalty on Bosa was bad. Bosa was upset, but was walking around. The ref actually stormed after him and threw the flag as Bosa was talking while not even looking at him. I think the ref will face punishment for that. That's unprofessional. It wasn't just one or two calls, though. It was a poorly officiated game throughout.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jfanent
Somebody posted on another board that Purdy reminds them of a young Stetson Bennett. rofl

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Bosa had already been making comments that drew the refs attention. The officiating was bad but Bosa lost his cool. That's not on the refs.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
He did lose his cool and I am not defending him. I am referring to a ref chasing a player down after the player is walking away. That's not acceptable in any sport.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And I'm saying he made initial comments that caused the ref to go after him. You can't just spout off and say anything and not expect the refs are going to come to you and tell you to knock that BS off. Obviously when the ref warned him about that he didn't take it so well and further complicated matters leading to the penalty. I think it's obvious we aren't going to agree on this and I'm not looking to fight about it. So I'll just leave it as we saw the same thing and came to two different conclusions of the event.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He clearly said something that was pretty bad. You really don’t see refs get that offended over comments

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I noticed during the 49ers game, especially toward the end of the game, the cameras focused on SF GM John Lynch who had a bid grin on his face. Lynch was a first time GM, hired by SF in 2017.

How good is the 49er organization recognizing talent and trusting their judgement, hiring Lynch, Shanahan and DeMeco Ryans in 2017. Ryans worked his way up to DC in 2021 and might be a hot candidate for a HC job after the season.

The 49ers are either exceptionally lucky or exceptionally good at judging talent...their starting QB, Brock Purdy was the last player drafted in the 2022 draft, earning the title of "Mr Irrelevant'' ... that kid took over when Garoppolo was injured in the 13th game and the 49ers have not lost a game since.

Based on what I saw in the second half of yesterday's game, the 49ers have a good shot at winning it all, IMO. thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2000088 01/15/23 11:53 AM
Legend
Legend
Not saying the kid will be him ..... but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder. We think about the 1st rounders .... because there is a higher chance of success there. (probably in no small part because they get greater opportunities to succeed) However, sometimes the right player gets the right opportunity, and it just works.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I will try not to talk about the officiating again, but I am not the only one who thought the officiating during the entire game was horrid. I typed in officiating in chargers vs jaguars game. Here are the search results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=off...191j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

mac #2000092 01/15/23 11:57 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I will put one caveat on your comments. If the 49'ers had known Purdy were that good they wouldn't have waited until the last pick in the draft to select him. As far as the rest of your comments I would say you're spot on.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
There’s no doubt Purdy has some great qualities thus far. I also think Shanny has the most QB friendly system ever (and we saw that here with Hoyer)

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I will put one caveat on your comments. If the 49'ers had known Purdy were that good they wouldn't have waited until the last pick in the draft to select him. As far as the rest of your comments I would say you're spot on.

Yep - sort of like how the Patriots organization since Brady became Brady try to insinuate they knew what they were getting when they picked him in the 6th round. Which is complete claptrap.

As for the officiating in the Jags game - it was absolute garbage, most of it going against the Jags. That has nothing to do with whether or not the Ref or Bosa was primarily at fault with the altercation and first flag for unsportsmanlike. Who knows? Opinions are fine but we don't actually know the circumstances. On the other hand we do know that the Jags went for a 2 pointer after Bosa was stoopid and threw his helmet while on the field of play while throwing his toys out of his pram.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/15/23 01:09 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's why I clarified pretty much exactly what you said with Vers. We both saw the same event and came away with two differing opinions of what we saw. I don't see any other reason a ref would chase him down to talk to him other than to warn him about something that was said or done before heading to the sideline. I mean there could be but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. The officiating was horrible and I can certainly understand a player being upset. You just can't do that on the field.

I'm a huge OSU fan and enjoyed watching the Bosa brothers play in every game they were in at OSU. It's certainly out of character for Joey to act that way. But in a game as intense as the NFL it can happen.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
j/c:

The Seahawks/49ers game was good until Geno Smith fumbled in - what was it, the third quarter? And then they fell apart and so did the game. Got lopsided.

The Chargers/Jags game turned out to be a really good game! I watched some of it, went to bed and watched the rest this morning. I thought the Jags missed that FG at the end, I had to see it a few times. It was an exciting game, all the way down to the end.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
It is a tradition, it is a long standing tradition that only one @uarterback will play for a team on a day, if they stay healthy,
a 2nd @uarterback, 3rd @uarterbac, and 4th or more @uarterback will Not make a contribution and take the reigns during the SAME GAME because after all it is a tradition.

a tradition agreed on by all the NFL teams, all the college football teams

that they only play one @uarterback. per game, and b/c of that,

we have, seventh round draft picks playing playoff games

and teams don't carry 4 useable @uarterbacks on their rosters because of Tradition.

And all Traditions never change.?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
mac #2000139 01/15/23 03:47 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

The games yesterday were outstanding, showing what playoff football is all about. Everything seems to be taken to higher level..the intensity, the player's performances, the hitting.

Then I allow myself to imagine if the Browns were in the playoffs...could the Browns players and coaches take their game to higher level..?...or would the Browns simply fold if they got down by a score or two..?

I look forward to the games today and hope that all the Browns players and coaches are watching..allowing themselves to imagine being in a playoff situation a year from now..?

The Browns took their game to a better level when they beat the steelers in the 2020 wild card game. But they had Rashard Higgins, OBJ, a healthy Sione Taki Taki, and even Mack, and Malcolm the Lb's on that team, not to forget J. Landry, so maybe the current group ain't as filled with talented, experienced players, all around, all around the field as before. And the safety who .. Sendejo.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Another crazy game ... willynilly

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
Another crazy game ... willynilly

WILD card Weekend!

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Whoa, what was that, Miami just got a play, like when Big Ben fumbled for a Touchdown in 2020, and now Miami has the lead, and after the buffalo team just got a 3 and out.
Point being
No matter HOW GOOD Buffalos defense played, the Bills just gave up a TD when their D were on the sidelines.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Bills picking up steam again. Miami gave a valiant effort. The WRs really let them down

T
Legend
Legend
T
I thought the game was over, couldn't read what @uarter it was
I thought the game was over Buffalo won. how are there eleven minutes, there were less than 2 minutes to go.
Whatever.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Bills picking up steam again. Miami gave a valiant effort. The WRs really let them down

Miami is hangin' on.

And I can't agree with you more, Miami's receivers dropped way too many very catchable passes.

About 10 plus minutes to go as I post this.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This has been a much better game that I was worried we'd get.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
This has been a much better game that I was worried we'd get.

Yea, definitely a good watch!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I wonder if AB is watching the playoffs and realizing
You need offensive firepower to get to the playoffs

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Miami down by 3 getting the ball back after forcing the punt with 4:24 left.

This is great.

Legend
Legend
That was a good catch.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season NFL 2022 Post Season Wild Card Weekend

Link Copied to Clipboard