Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can't imagine a new DC coming in and not getting his own guys under him. I'm sure they'll keep 'some' holdovers, but between scheme, base, and the type of players the DC prefers there will certainly be more changes.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
The players we have on defense IMO are capable of playing better.

I think there were a number of players who were not reaching their capability.

The following players IMO are key guys who the new DC should have a huge impact on:

Ward is a talented player. I have seen plays where I question his effort. However, he is a classic boundary corner.
Greg Newsome has talent. I believe he can play both corner and slot. It will be interesting to see where he will play.
Emerson competes. I love his aggressive play. Another guy who has talent and may play a different role. It may sound odd but I could see him at times playing a cover safety role.

Delpit has improved. He has talent. JJ3 I would trade him.

Taki has gotten better and I see a role for him.
JOK IMO was totally misused by Woods. I would love to see him in designed blitzes. Where he could come out of many positions on the field to rush the passer. He has excellent cover skills as well. He can play zone or in some cases press man or off man.
Walker is well thought of and I hope he fully recovers. I don't believe linebacker is as much as a problem that some believe.

Obviously Myles is our best player. Myles is such an athlete that I think he could play any defense. However, to get the most from him. I would love to see a guy like Daron Payne next to him. It would really be a challenge for a OL to handle that combo.
Winfrey has potential as a 3 tech. The others on the DL. They can all walk. We don't need All Pros but we do need at least starter quality.

There is plenty on the defensive roster to excite a new DC. As in most organizations the head coach delegates one side and takes the other.

That should be appealing to any candidate.

3-4 or 4-3 has kind of blurred because of the use of nickle and dime packages. I think the message that the DC brings is more important than what they call his scheme. Prepare the defense to get the most from their skills.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I can't imagine a new DC coming in and not getting his own guys under him. I'm sure they'll keep 'some' holdovers, but between scheme, base, and the type of players the DC prefers there will certainly be more changes.

No doubt. It's seems to be rare that a coach keeps many, it any of the former coaches. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if we keep 1-2, I wouldn't be shocked if we released all of them.

The senior bowl is on Feb. 4th. I would hope we have this wrapped up at least a week before that to allow the new guy to review film on current players and at the senior bowl for scouting purposes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I like this insight, 'Peen. There must be some sense of urgency doing these candidates, or at least an eye on the clock. I want thorough, but it can be dragged out too long. Our first candidates are interviewing with multiple teams; nothing to make them wait while we beat the bushes a few more times. The premium we assign to getting group feedback and talking to many folks as we engineer consensus is admirable, but hasn't proven overly effective here. It is swell to throw out there in pressers at points like this to rationalize decisions which pan no gold after the fact. Boom or blame?
I seem to recall searches that dragged on as candidates got hired out from under us because we dawdled and were late to the trough. I freely admit that some hasty decisions fill positions here, but often emplace a weak candidate in a poor fit. But we need to be ready to move on the man we want. I suspect that Cowher is still unavailable. But getting our man sooner lets him scout and build his units, because we don't have the stuff on the roster we need yet. Some are keepers, but some need to be excused, replaced, or downgraded if they can't be coached up. On top of all this, a big part of my sense of The Game holds that it isn't the scheme chats that we have had and shall have again, it's how you play it, how you game, compete, and adjust. I am left with the impression for the whole off-season that we didn't compete intensely and consistently enough. Like "The Replacements" movie, our new DC needs players who bring "heart, miles and miles of heart." Good hunting!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
He has already said he isn't a fan of the team any longer and is here to troll the board.

Of course that bolded part is a lie. It's true I'm no longer a fanatic. And I ask you, what part of my post was a lie? In order to be troll you have to make things up. I certainly did not. Your post shows that it's you who is the actual troll in this case.

Has Stefanski's record gotten worse in the two seasons after his first season or not? Yes it has. What is an 8-8 and 7-10 record other than mediocrity?

I know you don't like facts that are not all sunshine and roses. Facts that don't blow sunshine up your panties. So you try to attack the character of those who post them.

And while I do still support the Browns I can no longer call my level of support that of a fanatic. That stopped when they paid a kings ransom to make a sexual predator the face of this franchise. At least tell the truth and stop lying about the people you disagree with.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt the search needs to be through and not rushed. If it takes longer, it takes longer. I want us to hire our #1 selection, or the #1 selection available to us if some people take other jobs.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Counseling may help.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Then you should certainly seek some counseling.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Counseling may help.

Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Then you should certainly seek some counseling.

Gonna be a long off season...but board humor should help..! nanner grin

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I cannot believe that BF could turn down a legit offer from us to see what else is out there. I would think anyone looking for a coaching job or just better their lives, would jump at the chance to come to Cleveland!! thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Wholeheartedly agree with signing our best choice or best available. I just want us to know that candidate and not miss out in the interest of further inputting. And, I believe that choice should get a fair chance to strive for what he will want and he will require.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Flores has an interview w/Arizona to be the HC. I'm sure he would prefer that title over DC.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Counseling may help.

I'd say you and several others should seek help then. Maybe figure out why it's so easy for you to support DW... EVERYBODY else I talked to at least had some struggle with it. You are the only one I know that immediately turned on his victims and started defending him. And that is also why so many have relentlessly gone at you since. And I'm not saying this to get in your face or ball you out in any way; I just want to clear up some misinformation certain posters have been spreading daily around here. Watson, the man, and Watson, the player, are actually one and the same. And we each have to decide how we feel about that. I'm fine with how you feel about Watson now; early on, I wasn't, truth be told. And you must admit, you don't like how we felt about him. I hope you get past it soon.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/16/23 10:26 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Desai just seems too happy and carefree in that video.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I can read it now when the Browns next DC is hired
Here are the quotes to expect from him at the podium

1.we are going to be a attacking defense
2. We are going to punch you in the mouth
3. We are going to play smart
4. We are going to play fast and physical
5.11 bodies on the ball carrier
6. We are going to be unpredictable at times
7. We are going make QBs uncomfortable
8. It's my job to put players in positions to succeed
9. Iam honored to be here. The tradition is rich
Nlah blah blah
10. You have to play physical in the AFC NORTH
11. We will be the best tackling team ever
12. We will be accountable
13. I emphasize turnovers

Did I miss anything what might be said?

Legend
Legend
Sounds like a decision will be announced today

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I did not turn on the victims. Another lie by one of the board's trouble makers. I said I would wait for all the information to come out and allow the legal system to do its job. I did not once say that Watson was innocent or guilty.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The reports about Desai and Flores seem somewhat contradictory. I can't see how Flores is the favorite and a hire could take place today before he even interviews w/Arizona. Or, am misreading things?

M
Legend
Legend
M
He can be the favorite to be the Browns DC on the basis that someone believes he is unlikely to get a HC gig at Arizona or anywhere else he interviews. It'd be like the KC Chiefs being the favorites to win the Super Bowl even though they haven't made it to the Championship game yet.

I heard a long stint on local Charlotte radio this morning about their search for a HC - Ben Johnson appears to be a front runner - but also how the Panthers have interviewed to replace the DC position already. Steve Wilks if he does get the HC gig, needs a DC. If Wilks doesn't get the HC gig he will be gone. The radio hosts talked significantly about Vic Fangio -- I don't know if the Browns have thought about interviewing him, but I guess I had not realized [1] How much experience as a DC he has - something like 19 years [2] Out of those 19 years the radio hosts said he had a top 10 or top 5 defense in something like 12 or 15 years out of 19. It certainly sounded like he is a very viable candidate and I wondered if anyone knows why he wouldn't be on our radar?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I started a thread on Fangio during the season when there was discussion of firing Woods. The thread only drew a couple of replies, but there is information on Fangio in the initial post if you--or anyone--wants to read it.

I haven't heard anything about the Browns being interested in Fangio. I think he is kind of crusty, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do w/the lack of interest or not.

Here is the link to the article: https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1978724/vic-fangio#Post1978724

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I can only speak for myself - but the decision to move on from Woods during the season was one thing, but we would have replaced him with someone in house until the end of the season, then begun the search. I wasn't ready to speculate on replacements at that time.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I understand. I didn't want Woods fired during the season, either. I was just providing some information on Fangio in case you were interested.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Another lie by one of the board's trouble makers.

Talking to yourself again? I told you counseling may hekp

I said I would wait for all the information to come out and allow the legal system to do its job. I did not once say that Watson was innocent or guilty.

You said you would accept Sue Robinson's decision. Instead you accept the punishment but refuse to accept the very findings that punishment was based on. Revisionist history won't change that.

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns DC Candidates

Link Copied to Clipboard