Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2003218 02/08/23 10:42 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What would a 5th year option for Jedrick Wills cost if picked up?

Jacob Roach
February 8, 2023 8:58 am ET

This offseason is an important one for Cleveland Browns left tackle Jedrick Wills and his future with the team. The team must decide if they are going to pick up his fifth-year option that comes with a decent-sized price tag. If the team picks it up it will cost them $14.175 million for the 2024 season with the team.

It has been an up-and-down few years for Wills but it is hard to deny the talent he has at the position. There are times that his play is borderline teaching tape but his consistency just isn’t there. At times he appears to have given up on plays and not played through the whistle every play.

The price tag is probably too high for a player you are still uncertain of three years into his career, especially with the money already invested in the line. But the flashes that Wills has shown with his clear talent may lead the team to still believe he can be a very good player and ultimately they will probably pick the option up.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wills Total Offense PFF grade for 2022 was 62.9 which was 59th of the 84 tackles ranked. Even more disturbing though is he was ranked 31st among LT's ranked and some of those ahead of him were backups filling in for injured starters. Add to the equation that he was graded 66.1 in 2021 and 61.5 in 2020 and you have a player that has not shown significant improvement nor performance for being the 1st round #10 pick overall in 2020.

That said, I completely believe that Berry will exercise the 5th year option on the highest player he has selected through the draft, deserving or not. However, IJMHO, continuing on with the weakest member of the o-line playing at the most important position on the o-line (LT who protects the QB's blind side) is a recipe for disaster.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Another mediocre high 1st round pick by us. We must lead the league in 1st round busts and average players taken in round 1 since 1999. Pitiful!!!! thumbsdown

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wills is a serviceable Left Tackle and replacing him will be far too expensive. The Browns should sign his 5th year option. Then maybe renegotiate an add a year or two while reducing the cap hit annually. If he is unwilling, then after 5th year find a replacement.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
That's where I'm at. ^

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's ok if that's what you want but keep in mind that the 5th year option will be about 15M to 16M making him the highest paid OL on the team and just like our former QB - that 5th year option is guaranteed. So, if he has another bad year with no future starting LT in the system today - what then? Keep in mind, he was the 31st ranked LT in 2022.

Legend
Legend
Yeah? I'm sure you have a much better answer -- let's hear it?

Legend
Legend
Serviceable must have a broad definition. Ranking 31st may be too generous.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
steve reported one ranking out of many. He conveniently forgot to mention pass and run block rate and other stats. He's the same guy who did not mention that we won 12 games in 2020. He did not mention that we won a playoff game against our arch-rivals that year. The only thing he said about that year was that we finished 3rd in the division. The preceding all came in one of his rants about why we need to fire Stefanski.

Bard, old friend...........sometimes there is more to the story than some are providing. The key is knowing who to trust and who to be skeptical of.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I. wouldn't be offended by the idea of putting Conklin at left tackle and Willis at right tackle

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
In my opinion, I don't think Conklin has the feet to play LT.

I do think that Bitonio looked really good there in 2021 when he was forced to play there. Guards are a lot easier to find than tackles.

As far as Willso goes........he has some really good moments and some bad moments, just like the article said. I do think he has been inconsistent and needs to improve. I do not think he is trash. I have no idea what the Browns will do w/him, but I am not a fan of creating holes.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Because it is an option year we are fortunate to have the input of Callahan.

He can look at Wills and see where he might be in the years to come. I think it is important to remember Wills is 23.

He came to the Browns never having played LT. They looked at him as potential because of his skills.

Twenty-three is still really young. Some OL guys can play a long time.

In the end I trust Callahan.

3 members like this: DawgPound75, lampdogg, KashDawg
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good point about Callahan. I didn't even think of that.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
That's ok if that's what you want but keep in mind that the 5th year option will be about 15M to 16M making him the highest paid OL on the team and just like our former QB - that 5th year option is guaranteed. So, if he has another bad year with no future starting LT in the system today - what then? Keep in mind, he was the 31st ranked LT in 2022.

Originally Posted by FATE
Yeah? I'm sure you have a much better answer -- let's hear it?

So... nothing?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Because it is an option year we are fortunate to have the input of Callahan.

He can look at Wills and see where he might be in the years to come. I think it is important to remember Wills is 23.

He came to the Browns never having played LT. They looked at him as potential because of his skills.

Twenty-three is still really young. Some OL guys can play a long time.

In the end I trust Callahan.

Great post Bone. As Vers stated, this was a thought that had not crossed my mind. We trust Callahan enough to know that if he didn't think the guy had potential, he would let the team know.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I wonder if he’s one of those guys who tries hard, but not quite enough. I have no way of knowing that, but maybe he needs to get more nasty.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
He came in as a RT. He was 20. The jump to LT in the NFL is significant.

I am at ease with whatever is decided.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry I can't meet your timeline. First and foremost, no one said Wills was trash. IMHO, it makes no sense to give a player a guaranteed payday making him the highest paid member on the Browns o-line when he is nowhere close to being the best. You can split hairs and try to say he has a better pass blocking grade than a run blocking grade but the fact still remains (since the Browns run more than pass) that Wills has struggled overall at the position. Now to answer your question,,,,,

This is year 4 and the smart move is to not exercise the 5th year option on Wills and let him play on a prove it year. The thought process being that unless he improves significantly, making him the highest paid o-lineman on the team is embarrassing to those linemen that are playing at a pro bowl level. If Wills does improve, you sign him to a new contract that would be more in line with what he has produced his first 4-years. It will be easier to control the cap that way too since the Browns won't be locked into a guaranteed contract for 2024. In the meantime, the Browns must consider the potential need either through the draft or free agency. The most logical choice would be the draft this year.

Here's my thoughts on the draft. WR - the Browns drafted DPJ 3-years ago, Schwartz 2-years ago, and Bell and Woods last year. That's 4 WR's drafted in the last 3 years. Drafting another WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round is not going to upgrade the WR room. This position needs a veteran presence.

DT, the Browns have drafted a DT each of the last 3 years. Elliott, Togiai, and Winfrey. The results have not been good, but Togiai and Winfrey are still pretty green. IMHO, this is the position where the Browns must make a big FA splash. I suspect the Browns go big FA for a DT here.

DE, I think Berry planned ahead for Clowney being gone after 2022. The Browns drafted 2 DE's in 2022 who both saw action during the season. Wright and Thomas will be expected to step it up this year with one of them probably starting. The Browns might pick up a FA on the lower end, but I suspect we might see another later round pick at the DE spot.

OL, last year the Browns drafted Deaton to be the backup center behind Harris. Deaton spent the year on IR as did Harris. Pocic is a FA and Harris and Deaton are under contract. It's highly unlikely the Browns would carry 3 centers on the active roster. I hope I'm wrong, but Pocic is looking like a cap casualty leaving Harris and Deaton as the Browns centers. Since the Browns drafted Wills in 2020, the Browns have only drafted 2 offensive linemen, Deaton a center in 2022 and Hudson a OT in 2021. Hudson is currently listed as the backup for Conklin and Wills. I expect the Browns to draft a LT probably in the 3rd round as a fall back if Wills continues to regress.

IMHO, the Browns should draft the best player available at the DT or DE position with their 2nd round pick Their 3rd round pick should be an offensive left tackle. All the remaining picks should be defensive players mostly comprising of the LB and S positions.

Legend
Legend
I don't buy the "embarrassing to those linemen that are playing at a pro bowl level"; other than that, a good explanation and reasonable point of view.

I'm not sure about finding your next starting LT in the 3rd, especially since our 3rd is really a 4th.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A quick follow up - players negotiate contracts with their teams every year. If you're an elite player, like the Browns guards, your negotiations focus on being paid like you're the best. I disagree with your premise that the other o-lineman wouldn't feel slighted if Wills was the highest paid. Natural human nature says that they would indeed scoff at such an issue.

Just a final note on Wills. If the Browns do indeed exercise the 5th year option, that puts a totally different spin on his contract negotiations in 2024/25. If he remains "serviceable" (which I disagree with), his contract negotiations go to a different level after playing through his option year at a guaranteed level than if he's negotiated with after a prove it year. After 4 so called serviceable years, the Browns could hold the line of 12M-14M per year on a new contract because of his lack of elite play. However, if the Browns go down the 5th year option road, any person thinking they would get Wills to resign a contract paying him less than that option year is living in a dreamland. The negotiations then would start with a salary way north of the 15M-16M he just received during his 5th year option year. I don't believe the Browns will be in that position to be spending an extra 5M or more per season for a serviceable LT.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Browns land a familiar face, just earlier, in a 2022 NFL Draft redo

Cory Kinnan
February 8, 2023 8:13 pm ET

We have officially hit the offseason, where there are no games to cover so the coverage gets a bit more creative. And that is just what ESPN did when they decided to re-draft the 2022 NFL Draft just a season later. In this scenario, the Cleveland Browns did not trade out of the 44th overall pick, but still landed the same familiar face in cornerback Martin Emerson Jr.

ESPN’s Jake Trotter had this to say about the selection:

“Emerson had a terrific rookie season for the Browns, winning a starting job out of camp opposite Denzel Ward. Cleveland would be happy to grab him again here, a round earlier. Emerson’s size and range allowed him to hang with some of the top wideouts in the league. With Ward, Emerson and 2021 first-round pick Greg Newsome, Cleveland would boast a foundational cornerback trio that is young, versatile and prolific.”

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Browns are really loaded at cornerback. Ward, Newsome, and Emerson are very good players. I think Greedy Williams will be a good corner in this league, but it probably won't be here. AJ Green is also a pretty good player. In a conference w/great QBs, it's important to have such good corners.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'll never really understand why Bitonio wasn't moved to LT the minute Joe Thomas' elbow blew up. I don't recollect that he refused to do it, just that he wanted ample notice before making the switch. He's the best LT we've had since JT.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The key is knowing who to trust and who to be skeptical of.

Amen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think it has something to do with him being an All-Pro left guard.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

That and there are/were the contract issues. He's being/was being paid guard money, not LT money. Bitonio's agent would not have let him play LT for guard money. The Browns would have had to give him a completely new contract for playing a position he had not played before in the NFL.

Also, the Browns will pick up Jedrick Wills 5th year option.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, MemphisBrownie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

We have about 9 guys who could play LG much better than Wills plays LT. I think getting better at LT is more important than the drop off from Bitonio to the best of those < guys that can play LG. It would also be quite the shot in the arm for the salary cap. Yes, Bitonio would have to get a pay raise, but that would keep us from paying Wills stupid money to be a below average, disinterested football player and instead go with a bargain contract at LG.

Just a continuing thought...however, if Bitonio was at all hesitant, don't do/push it.

We probably won't sign Pocic with the contracts we already have all across the rest of the O line. Bitonio to LT kills two birds with one stone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
If Newsome was adamant about not playing the slot, could see him as a guy Berry would consider trading for a draft pick if the Browns are set on Ward and Emerson at corner.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'm not positive, but I think Newsome deleted the "NO" answer later on. I think this is mostly about money. Slot corners make way less money than outside corners. No one who can play on the outside wants that label. I do think it could be an issue because I'm not sure who else on the roster really has the requisite skills to be a really good slot corner.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Greg Newsome II was lock-down in man coverage for the Browns in 2022

Jacob Roach
February 9, 2023 6:56 pm ET

In 2022, second-year cornerback Greg Newsome II had a tough task as he transitioned to playing as the slot corner. There were some growing pains here and there but by the end of the season, he looked good. However, there was one thing that remained constant all season long and that’s his ability to lock down in man coverage.

[Linked Image from brownswire.usatoday.com]

Cleveland has a good problem on their hand with three talented corners on the roster. Newsome seems to not want to play in the slot and is clearly a better outside corner. It is clear that in man coverage is where Newsome thrives and with Jim Schwartz’s scheme he has a chance to really shine.

The team could end up moving one of their young players at the position but it is clear there isn’t anything wrong with Greg Newsome. Some think he had a down year and was trending in the wrong direction but the tape shows he has plenty of talent.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I'll never really understand why Bitonio wasn't moved to LT the minute Joe Thomas' elbow blew up. I don't recollect that he refused to do it, just that he wanted ample notice before making the switch. He's the best LT we've had since JT.

I don't think he likes it or wants to play there. Because I'm sure, he would be an upgrade.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
Legend
Legend
M
Newsome has not deleted the tweet. And you’re correct, it is definitely about money when it comes to signing a new deal from the perspective of getting paid as a slot vs outside corner. Can’t say I blame him. If the Browns picked up his 5th year option, he and Emerson would have contracts expiring the same year. Doubt the Browns pay them both.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

What is the opinion on why it was Newsome to the slot and not Ward or Emerson? Was it because Ward/Emerson were the two best outside CBs? Or was it because the combination at all (3) spots was better with Newsome in the slot? (Even if Newsome was a top 2 outside CB.)

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Skill set. Slot receivers have a different route trees than guys who play outside. Their routes tend to be across the middle and are more about moves than downfield speed. I don't think Emerson has the hips to guard slot receivers all over the field. I think Newsome is better as an outside corner than Emerson, but he is much more able to stay w/crafty slot receivers than Emerson is. Ward has elite outside corner skills.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Skill set. Slot receivers have a different route trees than guys who play outside. Their routes tend to be across the middle and are more about moves than downfield speed. I don't think Emerson has the hips to guard slot receivers all over the field. I think Newsome is better as an outside corner than Emerson, but he is much more able to stay w/crafty slot receivers than Emerson is. Ward has elite outside corner skills.

Thanks for that. I wondered initially if Ward would be a better slot guy than the others...but Newsome apparently played the slot quite well...so the decision worked (even if Newsome would rather be outside.)

Do you have a thought on Emerson being a FS? I've read that elsewhere but don't have the knowledge to breakdown what Schwartz wants from his FS. Or even if he plays the more traditional FS/SS.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I've thought about Emerson at Free Safety. He seems to have the physical traits. He's a pretty big guy that can tackle. I just haven't seen enough or even know enough about his measurables, ability to diagnose plays, make reads, etc to say he could make that move. It's interesting to think about, though.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 02/10/23 10:07 AM.
Legend
Legend

I like coaches. In many ways coaching and parenting are similar.

You are always trying to find out how to get the best out of people. Coaching is communicating. It is also teaching.

Nate Segura is really good at connecting with players and coaches. He gets them to loosen up.

Schwartz will help the Browns.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think losing Howard is actually good news. He came across as clueless.

Chargers hire Browns passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach Jeff Howard as new linebackers coach

Cory Kinnan
February 10, 2023 8:35 am ET

Turnover is starting on the defensive staff for the Cleveland Browns, and that may just be a good thing. While new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz stated the defensive staff was head coach Kevin Stefanski’s to handle, getting fresh perspective in those rooms and with the young players is needed. And now the Browns will have to hire a new passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach as the Los Angeles Chargers have hired away Jeff Howard.

He will take over the reins as the new linebackers coach of the Chargers after three seasons in Cleveland. Hopefully, this is just the beginning of the dominos that will fall as the Browns need a complete rebrand of their defensive staff under Schwartz.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

We have about 9 guys who could play LG much better than Wills plays LT. I think getting better at LT is more important than the drop off from Bitonio to the best of those < guys that can play LG. It would also be quite the shot in the arm for the salary cap. Yes, Bitonio would have to get a pay raise, but that would keep us from paying Wills stupid money to be a below average, disinterested football player and instead go with a bargain contract at LG.

Just a continuing thought...however, if Bitonio was at all hesitant, don't do/push it.

We probably won't sign Pocic with the contracts we already have all across the rest of the O line. Bitonio to LT kills two birds with one stone.

Memphis and Milk answered the question straight to the point. Plus plenty of other responses with he's young/Callahan and etc.

Regarding your response, (Guys, please chime in if I am incorrect with my information. O-line definitely isn't my speciality) you are taking the best or one of the best guards in football and moving him outside. This move weakens not one position, but the whole interior of the line. You are probably going to ask why.

The answer: Pocic had a great year, I am not taking that away from him, but also keep in mind he had two All-Pros on each side of him (Teller/Bitonio). Those three solidified the interior of line (well, besides when Poc/Tell weren't injured). A big "if" from your last sentence, Pocic doesn't re-sign or is let go, now you have a possible weakened Center position. Having two of best on each side of him will help. Next thing, getting to the next level, do you want an average or one of the best guards in football getting to the second level and taking out those LBs or DBs for our RBs? Another reason: We have two excellent guards that can pull each direction. I would like to say this benefits our run game in so many ways. This is why I am saying it weakens the whole interior line. Having one of the best gives our run game so many different options on sweeps, misdirections and etc. Compared to having a limited guard.

Edit: Also, just like the Browns do, teams do move their best pass rusher to the inside at certain times or downs to bring in a better passing attack. Having that solid middle is easier for the QB to step up in the pocket.

In lamens terms, you don't take the strongest part of a dam and weaken it to fix a leak/crack. Why weaken the whole structure? You keep that part stout so you can focus on fixing, provide help or monitoring the one weak area.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Plenty of logic there...but it's almost the exact same thing as what we did at CB this past year. Newsome is a top 2 outside CB on this team...but the unit is better because he can play the slot better than anyone else and the #3 outside guy is quite good in his own right - I'll let others argue whether the 3rd best outside CB is Ward or Emerson.

I also surmised that moving Bitonio - and NOT paying Wills stupid money - "might" free up some OL cap to allow the signing of Pocic. So...

Bitonio...fill-in-the-blank-cheap-contract-guy...Pocic...is better than...Wills...Bitonio...cheap center guy.

I think Wills is awful and that the 5th year money is stupid for a guy so...awful.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard