Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Teams say this a lot and rarely does it ever happen. However, I think this situation is one where it very well could happen. The Bears are seemingly attaching their franchise to Fields and won't need to grab a QB. The Bears are potentially set to get quite a bit of draft capital for a team wanted to leap frog the field.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Trading w/the Colts makes a lot of sense to me. They would get the 4th overall pick and probably a lot more in return. Now, if Houston really wants a certain player [like Young] they might become desperate enough to offer much more to make sure Indy doesn't jump ahead of them. That would be ideal for the Bears.

V
Legend
Legend
V

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Seattle would be an option as well. They have a lot of draft capital from the Wilson deal and could lean on Geno for one more year if necessary.

Two picks in the top 20.
Four in the top 50.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Now, if Houston really wants a certain player [like Young] they might become desperate enough to offer much more to make sure Indy doesn't jump ahead of them. That would be ideal for the Bears.

God knows if any team has the ammunition to do so it's Houston.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Smart move by Bears if they believe in Fields... I think they stay in the top 10 but could get a good pay day

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, the trade is the way to go. You can really improve your team quickly if you draft sufficiently

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man I just don't think Justin Fields is going to turn it around. Is Chicago bad? Yes, is Justin Fields also bad, yes.

I'd be extremely leery of taking a Ryan Day QB at this point as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Would you have ever believed that Jalen Hurts would get to the point he is at now?

Fields can get it done, but that offense needs a lot of help.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe in Justin Fields the person but QB's are like babies by and large. Very few are just elite off the jump. They need coddled, surrounded with love (play makers), protected (o-line). When they don't the likelihood they don't turnout well is high.

He is in what year 2 going into 3? By the time they turn this around his contract will be up and that would be IF they start hitting home runs on draft picks. If they start trading down, they are kicking the can, into what is essentially the end of Fields contract. The complete and total opposite of the Jalen Hurts situation, they had a good core, traded for Darius Slay, continued stacking the D-line deck, drafted the slim reaper, traded for AJ Brown, made the gutsy call to trade Wentz etc.

The Bears have done absolutely jack all, so I just don't see it happening.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How much of Fields did you watch last season?

He graded as a top 10 QB for a good chunk of the season. PFF Link

Edit: Not knocking you, I thought similarly, but due to injuries ended up with him carrying my fantasy team for most of last season. I was surprised how well he was doing with that junk roster, so I followed more as the season went on.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
How much of Fields did you watch last season?

He graded as a top 10 QB for a good chunk of the season. PFF Link

Edit: Not knocking you, I thought similarly, but due to injuries ended up with him carrying my fantasy team for most of last season. I was surprised how well he was doing with that junk roster, so I followed more as the season went on.

I watched him, he's a top 10 in what exactly? Rushing? PFF is basically fantasy football when it comes to QB's. Watching him, he is lost in the offense, the reads are coming too slow, he looks just like Mayfield with hella wheels.

He threw for 2.4k yards at 60%, those are Baker Mayfield numbers from last season with Carolina and LA.
Bad throw percentage is almost 20%, which is 6th worst
His on target throws were 29th in the league, #30 is Baker Mayfield, #28 is Carson Wentz.
Justin led the league in Drop back time in the pocket at 2.7 (his OL sucks?)
He led the lead in scrambles from designed passes.

Like that's not just his team is bad, which they are, he is also not seeing the field and making timely reads. He is also struggling with accuracy.

Jalen Hurts was top in 10 passing
Bottom (or top, but the good one) 12 in bad throws
7th in on target throws
While 25th in drop back time at 2.3
With 25 less scrambles on designed pass plays.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

Love Fields as a person, loved everything he did for Ohio State, wish him all the best but, between the state of the franchise and his personal development, he and Hurts are miles apart. Good news for Justin is, he looked a LOT like Daniel Jones did two years ago, lost, using athletic ability more than should be needed. Jones led the league in on target throws....which blew my mind when I was looking this up.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get the numbers on Fields and Hurts. My point was that no one thought that Hurts would ever become that QB. He grew by leaps and bounds since he was in college and his first two years in the league. Josh Allen is another guy who went from erratic to really good.

All 3 guys have mad athletic skills and Fields and Hurts are very similar physically. I am not saying he will become good, but he can be good if he works hard, he gets good coaching, and they put the pieces around him. If the Bears trade the pick and draft Bryce Young, would he be more of a sure thing than Fields. Dude is probably under 6' tall and less that 200 lbs. We have seen how Tua's career has unfolded in regards to injuries.

If I am the Bears, I stick w/Fields and trade the first pick for a boatload of compensation. Every day of the week.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, FATE
Legend
Legend
This 100

No brainer... cashing in your chips on Fields for a roulette spin on Young has disaster written all over it.

As far as Fields... I've witnessed enough in several games, including on the field right in front of me. He will need to "grow by leaps and bounds", for sure. He has the tools... +tools in some departments. BpG hit the nail on the head... "he is lost in the offense, the reads are coming too slow, he looks just like Mayfield with hella wheels."

And the "hella wheels" is where PFF and all the other advanced analytics are very misleading. A QBs running ability is given a certain amount of weight, and there's nothing wrong with that; but that presents nothing better than a foggy picture of how that translates to the success of the offense. And if you can't pass the ball in this league, you ain't winnin'.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BpG
I watched him, he's a top 10 in what exactly? Rushing? PFF is basically fantasy football when it comes to QB's. Watching him, he is lost in the offense, the reads are coming too slow, he looks just like Mayfield with hella wheels.

He threw for 2.4k yards at 60%, those are Baker Mayfield numbers from last season with Carolina and LA.
Bad throw percentage is almost 20%, which is 6th worst
His on target throws were 29th in the league, #30 is Baker Mayfield, #28 is Carson Wentz.
Justin led the league in Drop back time in the pocket at 2.7 (his OL sucks?)
He led the lead in scrambles from designed passes.

Like that's not just his team is bad, which they are, he is also not seeing the field and making timely reads. He is also struggling with accuracy.

Jalen Hurts was top in 10 passing
Bottom (or top, but the good one) 12 in bad throws
7th in on target throws
While 25th in drop back time at 2.3
With 25 less scrambles on designed pass plays.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

Love Fields as a person, loved everything he did for Ohio State, wish him all the best but, between the state of the franchise and his personal development, he and Hurts are miles apart. Good news for Justin is, he looked a LOT like Daniel Jones did two years ago, lost, using athletic ability more than should be needed. Jones led the league in on target throws....which blew my mind when I was looking this up.

As far as top 10, He had the 9th overall QB grade in weeks 5-9 which I just pulled from the article I linked. Admittedly, it was buoyed by his running.

Seeing the field and making the reads are really hard to judge without knowing the progressions.

There's also his targets' separation to consider: link

When you don't have anyone else for opposing teams to focus on, it's tough for a QB. When nobody gets open, you hold the ball longer. When you have to constantly throw away from a defender instead of just to your receiver, it's tough to consistently thread that needle, especially when manipulating the pocket or on the run.

Considering the circumstances, I thought he performed surprisingly well.

Comparing him to Hurts is fine, but it's not really apples to apples. Hurts had weapons everywhere and PFF had the Eagles as the top OL the entire season, wire to wire. (link)

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hurts is slow w/his progressions. Needs to improve. However, he was in a horrible situation w/the Bears. Their OL is perhaps the worst in the league. Receivers are not very good. HC is a defensive guy who wants to run the ball all the time.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Bears are in an enviable position. They are lacking talent, but they can still get the guy they want and secure multiple draft picks.

Mel Kipers' latest mock draft has Houston trading w/them for the 1st overall pick. He then has Indy trading w/them for the 2nd overall pick. It probably won't happen exactly that way, but it is actually feasible. They could land Jalen Carter w/the 4th overall pick and accumulate a lot of other draft picks. I think most people think that Jalen Carter is the best player in the draft. If they don't get him, they end up w/Will Anderson Jr from 'Bama.

Damn!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This will never ever happen but it could.
Try to imagine how many draft picks the Bears would pick up

Bears trade down to 2 with Houston
Houston takes Brice Young Qb

Bears then trade down to 4
Colts take CJ Stroud

Cardinal at 3 run with Murray
So they trade down for to a team that takes a Qb
Will Levis.

Bears Now back on the clock with only 1 top Qb remaining Anthony Richardson.
They can trade with Seattle to 5 or the Lions at 6 and still get one of Anderson or Carter

Or they could trade to 7 with the Raiders, 8 with Atlanta, or 9 with the Panthers if they get a great offer and want one of the top LT's to protect Fields
Paris Johnson and Pete Skronski would be nice additions.

Lots of top 10 teams could use a new Qb. The Bears, Cards, and Lions are the only ones that might stick with their same starter

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the Bears might get their best offer from the Panthers, assuming Carolina doesn't entice/trade for a vet. I don't think Tepper wants to go through another season of Darnold/Mayfield/Walker/random journeyman, and their explanation for hiring Reich over Wilks was largely that the league favored offenses. (link) Dropping to 9 would likely take Carter and Anderson out of play. Could bring JSN/Quentin Johnston into play for Chicago, though, which might be good for Fields.

Fiercely Independent.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rolling the dice on an undersized QB when your entire team is a mess is a terrible idea. They need to draft well but as I said they are in no mans land with Fields, the team won't be good enough to compete at least until the end of his contract. The Bears aren't going to be good, but they certainly are not going to be in #1 overall territory again. By the end of 5 years usually a guy with coaching changes on bad teams doesn't turn out well. It's his skillset, it's the franchise around him, it's all a bad match.

The Bears have a defensive coach, with a defensive franchise culture. This current regime did not draft him, one bad franchise to another, we know how that goes. Fields for whatever reason doesn't play well in the cold and it isn't getting any warmer in Chicago, his record in under 40d games is 0-7 with a 9-6TD/INT.

The upside is massive with Fields, I just don't see it working out in Chicago the way the franchise is run right now. Trading down and moving Fields and going full rebuild is what they need to do. Heck they already traded their stars on defense, why not?

Fields in Atlanta, where he is from is very intriguing to me if I am the Falcons. A trade down from #1, a Fields and #8 swap for a package of picks. Fields and Pitts/Drake London with Arthur Smith is an ideal match in a division that is RIPE for the taking.

JMO

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

That's a haul for the Bears. Ryan Pace should send a case of champagne to Lovie Smith for that two-point conversion.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hell, give Lovie a job.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
WOW!!! That's great for the Bears. Great trade!!!

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Hell, give Lovie a job.

All Texans fans are cursing Love tonight...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

Legend
Legend
LOL

My phone has been blowing up... I'm curious to see who the panthers are targeting... I'm guessing CJ... but we'll see... also have heard some about Richardson maybe going #1 overall, but if I had to bet, I'm saying it's CJ (who I wanted in Houston)

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
WOW!!! That's great for the Bears. Great trade!!!

Sure was quite a haul. Two firsts, two seconds, and a quality player. For someone who has yet to take an NFL snap.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Sonny Weaver Jr. mode....

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

rofl

Ugh. One of the worst/unrealistic sports movies ever produced.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That is the entertaining part about the silly season. You hear all kinds of crazy rumors reported.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

rofl

Ugh. One of the worst/unrealistic sports movies ever produced.

You mean you don't acquire the #1 overall pick, then start looking at all the info you have on him? Do tell.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Bears Open to Trading First Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard