Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
My post wasn't directed at you and it didn't question the post of the person I was responding to. You're the one confronting me here. Pay attention.

Not everything is about you as much as you think you are the center of attention. It's like having one of the Housewives of Beverly Hills on the board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
I like AVP. Actually I am surprised he has not been sought after as a HC. He appears to be a good communicator with a wealth of experience.

I don't actually think it's a surprise at all if one stops to think about it. I mean look at Eric Bieniemy. The KC Chiefs have had far more success than the Browns but Bieniemy has been viewed as being nothing more than a guy installing Reid's system. So it's not his system and he doesn't call the plays. It put into question whether he actually had the qualifications and ability to be a head coach. I mean as long as you're doing nothing more than installing someone elses system and not even being given the responsibility of calling the offensive plays, people will question your ability to innovate and run the responsibilities of a HC on game day.

Rivera at Washington is a defensive minded HC which will give Bieniemy the ability to showcase his talent as it pertains to installing, running and calling plays on the offense. Bieniemy in KC was in the exact same situation AVP is in here. And if Bieniemy didn't get a shot as an NFL HC, I don't think it should be a surprise that AVP isn't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by FATE
I know what you're saying, and everybody says it when discussing a dome for a cold weather city; but what use are we getting out of a dome while the team is not playing? Anyone ever advocating points to conventions, etc; but there is over 2 million square ft at the IX, and much easier ingress and egress.

The IX Center is a dilapidated building that should be razed and is way out by the airport. You want large events to be held downtown where there are restaurants, bars and other forms of entertainment.

A dome gets the city a Super Bowl, Final Four, the NFL Combine, Conference Championship games when the NFL inevitably starts to rotate conference championships like they do the Super Bowl, college bowl games.

Also, as ticket prices continue to soar, people do not want to pay $1k or more for seats to sit in the cold and rain for 3hrs. See this year's Saints game. Season ticket holders basically tossed that money spent on that game in the trash.

I would like to see the Haslams put up at least 50% of the cost but either way, they're going to get their new stadium.

Side note: The Michigan vs Ohio State hockey match seemed to big a draw a couple weeks ago.

IX isn't going anywhere though. New company leasing the property is dumping 50M into "phase one". Splitting the space, adding warehousing and leasing opportunities to other businesses and moving the property forward from the fact that it has been largely underutilized.

What it really comes down to is the size and nature of the events as there is also a Convention Center downtown... it's under 10 years old and also sports over 400,000 sq ft.

As far as the events you mentioned, you're spot on, and damn -- it would be great for season ticket holders (although they would still show up regardless).

So... one Super Bowl, one Final Four in the next ten years. Combine? It's been in Indy for as long as I can remember, I guess we could pry away or 'share' it with them?

My biggest concern is saddling tax payers for something that largely benefits people far above their tax bracket, and is merely icing on the cake for business owners. They've been paying a sin tax for nearly 30 years for the structures that are already there, starting with the original Gateway Project. As of last year, the city has stated that they want to extend that for another 20 years, for maintenance of these structures. So where is the money coming from??

Meanwhile, Jimmy pays a mere $250,000 per year in rent while the city absorbs more than $600,000 in property taxes. And he keeps all advertising, concessions and naming rights revenues.

Take everything that stinks out of this equation and I'm all for it. Even just the naming rights issue is ridiculous. 6M per year in naming rights to Jimmy as the city votes to remove disgraced 'FirstEnergy'... but in the end has no say in the matter.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is part of a larger article.

Here is what I am hearing on the ground here in Indy. Important to note that I am not reporting anything as happening but conversations with people I’ve spent a decade here building relationships with give me access to an understanding of some of the conversations:

*GM Andrew Berry is considered “aggressive” in every conversation. He wants things to happen and pushes to make things happen

*The Jessie Bates III rumor is real but Bates is hoping for a contract that blows people away

*Berry will make cap space when he needs to and is willing to kick the can down the road as long as necessary

*Veterans, either free agents or potential trade targets, are excited about playing with Deshaun Watson, Myles Garrett, Nick Chubb and are impressed by the addition of Jim Schwartz and Bubba Ventrone

*HC Kevin Stefanski is thought of highly around the league, agents and players

*Tight end, despite the expectation of more 11 formations, is expected to be addressed

*Hayden Hurst and Foster Moreau are two names that have been mentioned as Cleveland targets

*The Browns believe Schwartz can fix the defensive line issues as much or more as new players

*The team, like most, loves the current DL class in the NFL draft

*Berry has had talks about adding picks in 2024 including a 2023 pick for a 2024 pick and a player type deal

*There is concern among some agents that the Browns Watson contract could make it more difficult for them to get their vets traded to Cleveland

*The general belief is that this year’s draft lacks depth at the top of the draft. Said in a different way, pick 10 and pick 60 will have similar values to most teams and analysts. Not the same but similar

*Trading down will be a goal of a lot of teams

*Veterans Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham would be interested in joining Schwartz depending on how things go with Philadelphia. Cox is more likely to be free than Graham

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/3/2/23621843/nfl-combine-browns-rumors-nfl-draft-free-agency

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wonder how many of the nutrition complaints are related to protocols that were changed due to COVID- -Designed to keep everyone healthy, but also inconvenient annoyances at times.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Berry interview at the Combine

Legend
Legend
Over many years Greg Cosell has taught me more about football than any person.

When he breaks down plays. You learn. He makes the nuances of the game understandable. He is a football junkie. Probably watches as much tape as any coach.

Good interview. If you track Cosell and he mentions players in the draft from any position. Pay attention.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's about time Stefanski is giving the offense makeover
His offenses in the past were antiquated and void of big play
Ability.

Good to see AB realizes Harrison Bryant is a bust. When he is
In the game he barely contributes. Hurst and Moreau
Are upgrades that won't break the bank

Legend
Legend
This makes way too much sense... should have had a roof when they built it...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"Void of big play ability"... smdh

Explosive plays NFL (runs over 10 yards / passes over 20)

Browns:

2019 - 7th
2020 - 4th
2021 - 1st
2022 - 3rd

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.c...lays/team-rankings-explosive-plays-2021/

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Those who believe the Browns should trade Nick Chubb might want to take notice ...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by Southwestdawg
Originally Posted by jaybird
interesting.... obviously need to update our facilities (and add a dome/roof)…. along with improving the nutrition department...

No dome. That is what makes playing in Cleveland a disadvantage to the visiting team.

ikr, look at how many Super Bowls that advantage has gotten us too.

Yes, wasn't the New Orleans game (southern dome team) playing in very cold Cleveland supposed to give the Browns a decided advantage?

Yea it has nothing to do with poor player performance, sorry coaching and decades and decades of subpar teams.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Ability.

This is completely untrue. Our offense scheme is one of the best in the league. It's the Shannahan/Kubiak scheme that more and more teams are switching to.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Ability.

This is completely untrue. Our offense scheme is one of the best in the league. It's the Shannahan/Kubiak scheme that more and more teams are switching to.

If the Browns offensive scheme was 'so excellent', why did the Browns offense rank 19th in offensive performance in the most critical area on the football field..?

Ranking 19th in red zone offense (TDs only)is not an example of a superior offense...it is an example of a below average offense.
...note: the team that ranked 20th in red zone offense (TDs only) was San Francisco...

The Browns offense must improve..especially the Browns red zone offense.

link

Last edited by mac; 03/03/23 10:05 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Way to pick one stat and ignore all the others.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
For those wondering, the Browns ranked 8th overall in Offensive Efficiency, which is the most complete and comprehensive ranking that is available. We were actually higher than that when Jacoby was playing. I know we were fifth overall during his tenure. I'll provide links to both.

Final Rankings:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-offense/2022/regular?check_logged_in=1

Link for when we were 5th overall:

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1576921001346142216

Btw: I responded to a post that said our offense was antiquated. I did not respond to a post about rankings. I talked about how we our offense is from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree, which is the offense that many, many teams across the league are turning to.

Also, mac is the same guy who said that our defensive scheme was not fit for the NFL. I provided proof of other teams running the same scheme. Also, it sure did not take Woods to get another job in the NFL w/that defense that was not fit for the NFL. Translation: he is talking out of his rear end, yet again.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Fate had mentioned it previously regarding the Browns waiting to restructure Watson to stick it to the Ravens. Here is the impact.

Zak Hites
@ZakHites55
Replying to
@JackDuffin
Arent the franchise tag values already locked in though?

Jack Duffin
@JackDuffin
Replying to
@ZakHites55
Non exclusive ones aren’t

https://twitter.com/JackDuffin/status/1631001419862949888

After a few tumultuous off seasons trying to negotiate a long-term extension, it appears immiment that Jackson will be offered a tag by the Baltimore Ravens in the coming days. Exactly which tag will be the first detail to watch for. It's widely expected that Lamar will be offered the Exclusive Franchise Tag, currently estimated to account for $45.2M in 2023. This number comes with a few conditions. 1) Since the actual official exclusive tenders won't lock until April, the Ravens will be able to account for the non-exclusive price ($32.4M) until that happens. 2) Many of the top QB cap hits are going to be restructured (or released) in the coming weeks, largely changing the end result for this exclusive price point. It's perfectly plausible that Lamar's exclusive tag price is only slightly larger than the non-exclusive figure when it's all said and done.

In this regard, it seems a no-brainer to go this route with their franchise QB, especially if a trade out of Baltimore is at least an option this Spring. The Ravens will be seeking a trade price that far exceeds the two first round picks they would assume with a non-exclusive tag trade.

It would appear that waiting to restructure Watson has no bearing on the official exclusive final tag number since it doesn't lock until April - this ^ appears to be a false narrative. Now it would still have a non-exclusive effect for the initial 21 days or so until the exclusive tag is set in April. However, the Ravens will be able to account the cost to their cap at the non-exclusive price of 32.4M not the projected 45.2M exclusive price tag. In retrospect, the idea of waiting for the declaration on Jackson would not be affected either way by Watson's restructure. The only way the Browns contract with Watson will have any effect on the Ravens is if they'd roll with the 54.993M to be included in the exclusive tag price that Watson's scheduled to account for against the cap in 2023. Once they restructure Watson, that exclusive tag number will fall significantly before the April set date.

Just another drawback from "kicking that can down the road."

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Way to pick one stat and ignore all the others.

vers...I picked the most important stat that shows the effectiveness of the Browns offense in the most critical situations during a game...when the Browns offense is in the "redzone" attempting to score a touchdown.

I did not "cherry pick" moments that only showed the Browns in a favorable moment during the season...but I showed the most honest period of time I could use to reflect the performance of the Browns offense.

Had the Browns offense performed better in the red zone..some of the Browns narrow losses might very well had been "wins" and punched the Browns ticket to the playoffs.

I would think that you would agree, the Browns red zone offense needs to improve if the team expects to make the playoffs in 2023.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I knew you would resort to deflection. Get lost w/your nonsense. The Browns offense is NOT antiquated! Period.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I do expect changes next year w/our offense due to having Watson at QB. Here is a tweet to say we should expect to see more shotgun and spreading the field. I would prefer more Pistol [Jake Burns wrote a great article about it] than straight shotgun, but I'm not sure if the author was making that distinction. I can explain the difference if anyone is interested. I also think seeing Chubb's splits is interesting.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You tailor your offense around the talent you have. Watson will change everything from formations to the play calling. Or should. Bringing the Browns into the more modern version of todays game.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I knew you would resort to deflection. Get lost w/your nonsense. The Browns offense is NOT antiquated! Period.

The Browns offense needs to improve in the red zone...

The performance of the Browns offense in the most important area on a football field (the red zone) is "below average...not good enough".

It should be an area of great concern for the Browns franchise if they are seriously looking for those areas they can improve upon. The Browns Red Zone offense is a weakness that can be improved upon.

vers..you want to discuss whether the Browns offense is antique or not...GO FOR IT..!!

Last edited by mac; 03/03/23 12:40 PM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I thought for sure he would re-sign w/Philly or retire. He is still productive. In fact, his PFF scores are unreal. His overall grade is 89.8.

Report: Browns have interest in veteran DE Brandon Graham

Cory Kinnan
March 3, 2023 6:00 pm ET

As the Cleveland Browns look to reconstruct their defensive line after an abysmal year against the run, they are reported to have interest in a former player under new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. According to Tim McManus, who covers the Philadelphia Eagles for ESPN, veteran defensive lineman Brandon Graham is drawing interest from the Browns. This comes a day after a rumor came out that Graham was also interested in reuniting with Schwartz in Cleveland.

The legal tampering window opens up on March 12, so expect a whirlwind of news to fall in nine days from now. Expect the Browns to be big players this offseason as they look to get back into the playoffs.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

M
Legend
Legend
M
I believe this is coming from Tim's original tweet below.

Anyways, Graham makes sense on two fronts....its at a position of need and he has connections to Schwartz. And although he had a high PFF grade last year, he'll be 34. If we really want him, I hope it comes in some form of the Andrew Berry one-year special that he is so inclined to offer, while we continue to develop younger guys or come across the long term answer.

Look at his contract as well. Very similar to what Berry has done with some deals, and arguably worse if "worse" means more void years (4). $18.3M in dead cap this season if he walks. $10M next year.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/brandon-graham-6522/

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: Milk Man, Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Graham had 13 sacks, 32 hurries, 3 qb hits, and 2 forced fumbles last year as part of the Eagles' DL rotation. That's incredibly productive for anyone and it's insane for a man of his age. I totally agree that signing him on a 1-year Berry Special makes all the sense in the world. That would be quite the coup for us if we get him at around $4.5 million.

T
Legend
Legend
T
This sounds too similar to the time E. Mangini traded too much of the draft away for Jets backups.
How did that turn out? and I'm talking about the ensuing ten to twelve years. Yay: future. Here we go again.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Graham is a free agent. We would not be trading for him.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Graham had 13 sacks, 32 hurries, 3 qb hits, and 2 forced fumbles last year as part of the Eagles' DL rotation. That's incredibly productive for anyone and it's insane for a man of his age.
All I can think is it must be especially incredibly productive for anyone who is used to watching Jordan Elliott get pushed over like he is wearing roller skates but this the NFL. funny sad indifferent.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
He's been incredibly durable over the course of his career. Besides the torn Achilles in Week 2 of the 2021 season, he'd missed one game since 2011. He finished 4th in Comeback Player last season after his return from the injury.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I didn't know that. Thanks.

I remember his Combine after his career at TUN. There were a lot of questions about him, but he was awesome at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. I remember watching his agility drills at the Combine and thinking that this guy is going to be an excellent pass rusher, despite his lack of weight. I also remember that strip sack of Brady in the Super Bowl that saved the day for the Eagles only Super Bowl win. Dude has always had an intense motor.

1 member likes this: FATE
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I will never figure out how the Browns chose Jed Wills at #10 of the 2020 draft and passed over Tristan Wirfs, out of Iowa, to fill the Browns LT needs.

The headlines after the 2020 draft read...

Iowa's Tristan Wirfs posts record-breaking NFL combine workout
Published: Feb 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM link

Alabama OT Jedrick Wills reportedly scored a 9 on his wonderlic and had to take it again
by Damond TalbotApril 16, 2020 link

Wirfs went on to be named to the Pro Bowl twice plus earning other honors for his play at OT...Wills is nothing more than a marginal OT in the NFL.

The Browns picked Wills at #10 and Tampa Bay grinned all the way to bank picking Wirfs at #13... link

Last edited by mac; 03/04/23 04:25 PM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
I will never figure out how the Browns chose Jed Wills at #10 of the 2020 draft and passed over Tristan Wirfs, out of Iowa, to fill the Browns LT needs.

The headlines after the 2020 draft read...

Iowa's Tristan Wirfs posts record-breaking NFL combine workout
Published: Feb 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM link

Alabama OT Jedrick Wills reportedly scored a 9 on his wonderlic and had to take it again
by Damond TalbotApril 16, 2020 link

Wirfs went on to be named to the Pro Bowl twice plus earning other honors for his play at OT...Wills is nothing more than a marginal OT in the NFL.

The Browns picked Wills at #10 and Tampa Bay grinned all the way to bank picking Wirfs at #13... link

Hindsight is always 20/20

Originally Posted by mac

04/24/20 06:26 AM
I like the pick, welcome to Cleveland, Jed.

I have to give the Browns GM, Andrew Berry, an 'A' for resisting all the crazy scenarios about trading out of the #10 spot, trading down to gain more draft picks (aka, moneyball) and taking one of the lesser OTs, such as Izra Cleveland.

The Browns had a need and addressed it..what more could a Browns fan want?

In fact, the only two posters that said they wanted Wirfs over Wills were cfrs15 and Dawgs4Life.

It wasn't hard to like the pick when even Bill Callahan talked about his incredible skillset and said he "jumped off the screen".

2 members like this: Versatile Dog, jfanent
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In fact, the only two posters that said they wanted Wirfs over Wills were cfrs15 and Dawgs4Life.

It wasn't hard to like the pick when even Bill Callahan talked about his incredible skillset and said he "jumped off the screen".

I guess that Callahan was wrong on this player then since I haven't seen nothing jump off the screen with Wills since he's put on a Browns uniform.

Legend
Legend
Yep. The best in the biz are wrong way more than they're right. Seems like most of the MMQBs have an impeccable record though...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep. The best in the biz are wrong way more than they're right. Seems like most of the MMQBs have an impeccable record though...

I think you miss the point and that's ok - each has their own opinion. Drafting Wills at #10 for an NFL LT position, a position that he had not played a single down at in his entire life, was an unnecessary risk by Berry. Wirfs had experience at LT even though he played RT most of the time at Iowa. The conversion would have been very fluid for Wirfs where it hasn't for Wills. The risk of the pick has now delivered the Browns a "serviceable" weak LT while the Bucs got a 2-time RT Pro Bowler that is now rumored to being moved to the LT position this season. I will agree with you that the best in the biz are wrong sometimes - the hard part is admitting it which apparently is something the Browns and Berry refuse to do - think Schwartz, Elliott and Wills.

Legend
Legend
thumbsup

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks for pointing that out about MMQBs.

Just a note for those that don't know and because mac's original post failed to clarify this distinction. Wirfs has played RT for TB. He has not played LT. Many saw that Wills had LT skills. Everyone knew Wirfs did not. He's a great RT. No doubt about it, but he was not going to ever play LT. Also, Wills has shown that he can do things that jump off the screen. Analysts have provided video of him doing just that. He has been inconsistent, but he has done some great things, as well.

It's also a bit odd that we were talking about us getting Graham and the next post is about the 2020 draft out of nowhere. It happens frequently and it's always done to throw shade out of the Browns.

Legend
Legend
Wills is twenty-three.

It is not like his career is over. When you come into the NFL at twenty and go from RT to LT.

It is possible that a player needs some time to develop.

We do have some success stories. If you dig for gold instead of coal.

P
Legend
Legend
P

While I certainly don't disagree with what you're saying in regards to the posters on this board I think a little context is called for here. Because the contrast between the two are stark and obvious. We are all just posters on a message board. Yes, some people take themselves more seriously than others but that in no way changes the fact that if they were qualified enough to be NFL scouts or in the FO, they would be. But obviously they're not.

Conversely NFL teams have complete scouting departments. An entire FO and when combined spend millions in talent evaluation including film study, the combines and player interviews. Interviews with their coaches and former coaches. The resources, time and investment dedicated to who and which players should be drafted are virtually limitless. NFL teams in total have high seven figure investments allocated to this process.

You are correct that NFL teams get it wrong a lot even when you factor that in. I also agree with Vers that drafting a LT has everything to do with the skill set of the player more than anything and I too endorsed the pick of Wills.

I do however think it's disingenuous to try to make a point by comparing a poster on a message board to an NFL team.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard