Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Thanks, Board Officer Pit but I'll choose to keep it here as it relates to cap space available for all teams as free agency is still ongoing.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wonder what the 49ers might be willing to trade from their DL.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Wonder what the 49ers might be willing to trade from their DL.

Jets only have $10M. I wonder how, if at all, that would affect the Rodgers deal.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Thanks, Board Officer Pit but I'll choose to keep it here as it relates to cap space available for all teams as free agency is still ongoing.

You see, I'm not the one who is always complaining about keeping salary cap discussion limited to the salary cap thread. We both know who that is. I was just wondering how different the reaction would be from your ilk if I was the one who did the same thing. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Please don't try and ruin another thread.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't do anything of the sort. I simply posted a link to the salary cap thread. It was you who posted this in response.

Then I explained the reason for my post. I'd say the ball is in your court.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And he was correct. DE's have become much more quick and agile. In times past NFL teams focused on rushing the QB far more on their blind side which is the left for right handed QB's. Now pressure often comes from both sides and RT's need to be much quicker and more agile than in years past. For an example you can easily see, look at how much the browns mover Myles around. Either an OT is quick and agile enough to play LT or he's not. His skill set alone determines that. I understand you're trying to dig a rabbit hole here but don't expect for me to crawl down into it with you.

Mac is just irritated his pimped player, the "Danish Dynamo" Froholdt wasn't retained.

peen...who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?

Who was the Browns best backup center for last season...?

I guess I will ask again...peen...who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?

Anyone...?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
No one cares about your stupid question. You have not acknowledged that they kept Conklin and Pocic. You continue to throw shade on the Browns. That's your right, but don't pout when we ignore your agenda.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac
And he was correct. DE's have become much more quick and agile. In times past NFL teams focused on rushing the QB far more on their blind side which is the left for right handed QB's. Now pressure often comes from both sides and RT's need to be much quicker and more agile than in years past. For an example you can easily see, look at how much the browns mover Myles around. Either an OT is quick and agile enough to play LT or he's not. His skill set alone determines that. I understand you're trying to dig a rabbit hole here but don't expect for me to crawl down into it with you.

Mac is just irritated his pimped player, the "Danish Dynamo" Froholdt wasn't retained.

I guess I will ask again...peen...who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?

Anyone...?

the best backup is the one that never plays a snap all season

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

Anyone...?

A better question might be why would Froholdt want to be a backup here when he'll likely start for Arizona?

I'd say that Pocic was our best backup center considering Harris was supposed to be the starter.

Considering we've been able to function with "some guy named Blake" thrown on the field, I think Callahan will figure something out at G.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Jack Burns and Quincy Carrier have a interesting football discussion on the moves the Browns have made.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Lol. What a mess.

M
Legend
Legend
M
A real life Lionel Hutz.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Good one.

Lionel Hutz

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

I liked Froholdt too. I liked him when he played at Arkansas. I have always liked Arkansas. I liked the name of the state when I was a kid and I like their helmets and name. Razorbacks....how cool is that?

He signed a 2 year deal with Az....I think it was Az..I don't know that we didn't make an effort to sign the guy. It probably came down to him or keeping Pocic, so with that in mind, I am glad we kept Pocic. Sometimes it is what it is. The realities are you can't keep everybody. We have a lot of money invested in the O-line.

I would have liked to have kept the guy, but he wasn't going to start, and he wasn't good at center. If he had been, we may have kept him. You can only spend so much on a guy who projected out as a back-up.

I would have liked to have kept him and sure Berry and coaches would have, but we have only so many dollars we can spend on the O-line without taking shortcuts somewhere else.

So it boiled to keeping a center who was pretty darn good or keeping a guy to play center who was maybe marginal. I seem to recall you saying you played center in HS. Then you know it isn't a position you can just stick anybody in there to play. It doesn't mean the Dane wasn't a good player. He just wasn't a center. He is a guard.

Just because a guy plays center doesn't mean he can play guard or just because a guy plays guard means he can be a center. Different strength and agility requirements involved.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

The Complete Collusion Gym.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

The Complete Collusion Gym.

This will be perfect for me to take to the movie theater. No more sitting in a reclined seat like a couch potato. I'll be working up a sweat in the aisle!

Side note: I feel like Lamar Jackson is about to get Kaepernick'd.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Once again, the NFL rears its ugly head w/unfair treatment, dirty tactics, inconsistent decisions, and collusionary actions.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I don't know that it's collusion as much as teams understanding the circumstances.

Any team making an offer would have to make it so high that Baltimore would not match it, otherwise you're just creating unnecessary media attention.
In doing so, you have to make sure you have the financial end ready to deal with the it, in which many would need to clean out some other contracts to accomplish the financials.

Not saying there isn't any "collusion", but just because there aren't teams lining up, doesn't mean there are. The chances of successfully signing him are low without an outrageous offer.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The tag he is on is "built in" collusion. Also, I was speaking more of how they made the non-certified agent public.

Legend
Legend
Vers, I'm not trying to argue as I know you are pretty passionate about the rift between the NFLPA and owners in the league. So answer if you want to or don't. With that said, I'm not sure the league needed to send a memo and "shine light" on a strange situation that they don't really approve of. However, it is strange and a lot of everybody has said this makes it hard to work towards a contract.

I heard one talking head make mention of the fact that agents do a lot of their work at the combine every year... a place where you can at least get a pulse, kick ideas around, etc... There was no agent for Lamar there, obviously. Instead, all we have is a vague idea of Jackson's demands; and all interested teams have (legitimately) is a chance to overpay for an enigmatic, sometimes great, sometimes average QB... or do Baltimore's work for them.

Anyway...

Didn't the "built in" collusion start with his own team choosing that tag?

Did the Ravens want to collude to keep Jackson out of football or give him the shaft? Or was it to let the market determine the value of a QB that couldn't finish the last two seasons and thinks he should be the highest paid in the game... "guar-un-teed"?

You're the GM... Lamar seems earnest in wanting to make the move and puts the "offer" ball in your court. What is your final offer?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I almost did not make my previous post because I know you think the idea of collusion is ridiculous. We disagree on that and it's no big deal.

I do think Lamar should have an agent.

I do not think the NFL had to make the memo so public. They are purposely painting an unflattering picture of Lamar.

When I mentioned "built in" collusion, I was not talking about Lamar's case. It's like that for every player. Many NFL players--mostly former--have talked about the Non-exclusive tag as being "built in" collusion. It's not a secret.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I need to see how this breaks down because right now I'm confused. Guaranteeing $30M in 2026 now as part of a 1 year extension for a guy who will be 36 seems odd. It is likely a sort of retroactive signing bonus that will be spread out starting now, but it just sounded weird.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

I need to see how this breaks down because right now I'm confused. Guaranteeing $30M in 2026 now as part of a 1 year extension for a guy who will be 36 seems odd. It is likely a sort of retroactive signing bonus that will be spread out starting now, but it just sounded weird.

From a larger article:

The one-year, $33.445 million extension includes $30 million in guaranteed money, according to a source. ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported the deal.

Johnson, 32, was already under contract through the 2025 season but this adds one more year to his existing deal. While Johnson will be 33 for the 2023 season, he’s still playing at an extremely high level and was an All-Pro in 2022.

This extension will lower Johnson’s cap hit for the 2023 season. It was scheduled to be over $24 million, the highest on the team after the Darius Slay extension last week. The Eagles will likely pay out a significant portion of Johnson’s $14.155 base salary in 2023 in a bonus to lower his cap hit. According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Johnson's cap hit this season will be lowered by $9.4 million.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Just a comment by Ozzy Newsome on what has helped complicate the Lamar situation....

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

Just a comment by Ozzy Newsome on what has helped complicate the Lamar situation....

Good. I hope the Browns made the situation very complicated for the Ravens and next year the Bengals. There not our friends and we should do everything in our power to make things harder on them. That is what good GM's do. There was talk the Ravens actually want to somehow get Lamar to sign the franchise tag for 1 year and revisit the contract again next year to see what the Bengals do with Burrow.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/24/23 01:35 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I almost did not make my previous post because I know you think the idea of collusion is ridiculous. We disagree on that and it's no big deal.

I do think Lamar should have an agent.

I do not think the NFL had to make the memo so public. They are purposely painting an unflattering picture of Lamar.

When I mentioned "built in" collusion, I was not talking about Lamar's case. It's like that for every player. Many NFL players--mostly former--have talked about the Non-exclusive tag as being "built in" collusion. It's not a secret.

If there is built in collusion, then the NFLPA helped buil;d that in .... oe at least agreed to it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Once again, the NFL rears its ugly head w/unfair treatment, dirty tactics, inconsistent decisions, and collusionary actions.

I agree. They are forcing him to stay in Baltimore and take what he can get or walk. I hate to see it too, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I want him gone, just not from the NFL altogether.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
j/c

Good. I hope the Browns made the situation very complicated for the Ravens and next year the Bengals. There not our friends and we should do everything in our power to make things harder on them. That is what good GM's do. There was talk the Ravens actually want to somehow get Lamar to sign the franchise tag for 1 year and revisit the contract again next year to see what the Bengals do with Burrow.

Yep, and I hated the trade, but you have to give AB and the FO credit for creating this situation too. We have our guy, and now the guy on every other team thinks, why not me too?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Yep, and I hated the trade, but you have to give AB and the FO credit for creating this situation too. We have our guy, and now the guy on every other team thinks, why not me too?

I have to believe we have our guy, and I have said I think fully guaranteed contracts were inevitable, especially for certain positions. We do need to consider that at some point in the future we will be "bitten" by this for a different player. It may not be this front office that has to deal with it, but I am not front office fan.

The genie is not going back in the bottle forever.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Could RB Kareem Hunt return to the Browns?

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/could_rb_kareem_hunt_return_to_the_browns/s1_13132_38610303

Boy, it sure would be nice to find a way to fit him in. He's by far our best back out of the backfield, IMO. If Berry somehow signs Hunt back, say for two years on the cheap, then this would be the best offseason the browns have ever had. If there was a better one, I'm either forgetting it or was unaware, but AB is fire as a GM. And shame on anyone who says differently.

L
Legend
Legend
L
That’d be cool if KH came back. I noticed that losing D’Ernest Johnson to FA didn’t get a lot of play around here but I thought we’d keep him. He is a damn good back and has shown it. If Chubb gets hurt, I hope we have Kareem to help our run game.

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/24/23 11:41 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
For as long as I can remember when the draft begins; the Browns looked to the draft to solve problems.

Let's face it every team has position questions. As a year ends teams are forced to cut players. Or, players leave holes as they enter free agency.

Contracts expire. Players retire.

Today we could field our starting team. I really can not remember being in this position. In addition, we may still sign free agents. I mean we may resign Hunt. And, or we may sign another D lineman.

In addition we enter the draft with eight picks.

We have added: Tomlinson, Dobbs, Moore, Goodwin, Adams, Ford, Hurst, Akins, Hill, Obo, Thornhill, and resigned Kunaszyk, Taki, Green, Pocic, Walker

That is a large transition. Plus we have a new defensive coordinator and ST coordinator and some position coaches.

The 2023 Browns are a different team.

Camp will be competitive. It will not be easy to make this roster. There are a number of guys who will be fighting to stay on the team.

When I look back at other seasons at this time. There were always major doubts. I can not say what the end of 2023 will look like. But it sure is refreshing to be in this position for once.

2 members like this: Homewood Dog, WSU Willie
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

According to this ESPN grading scale, the Browns roster is ranked 9th overall.

Not surprisingly, our OL is ranked the highest of our position groups, followed by the corners, with QB and Edge being tied for third best. Some may argue the RB unit should be higher, but it's right behind the QB and Edge ranking. I'm assuming that not signing Hunt and losing DEJ hurt that particular grade.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency [cont.]

Link Copied to Clipboard