DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Free Agency [cont.] - 03/19/23 05:14 PM
I put this in the locked thread, but it's newsworthy enough to repeat.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/19/23 05:43 PM
I think Andrew Berry has done an excellent job in FA this year. As noted in the locked thread, PFF has us tied for 2nd w/a few other teams in regards to which teams have done the best in FA.

I don't think we will--or should--make any other splash signings. There are a few other guys that might be good fits if they don't cost too much. I'm just guessing, but I think these guys are possibilities. I found the write-ups from this site:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...board-best-available-players-after-day-3

25. DE Calais Campbell

The Baltimore Ravens released defensive end Calais Campbell on Monday, and if the 36-year-old decides to continue playing, he shouldn't have to wait long to find work.

While Campbell isn't the sort of Pro Bowl pass-rusher he was early in his career, he's still a strong contributor against the run and the pass. This past season, he tallied 36 tackles, four tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks.

24. Edge Justin Houston

Like Campbell, pass-rusher Justin Houston is an older player who just keeps finding ways to make an impact.

The 34-year-old logged 9.5 sacks, 25 quarterback pressures and 21 tackles with the Ravens in 2022. Houston should be a top target for a playoff-caliber team seeking a situational but productive pass-rusher on a short-term deal.

21. DT Shelby Harris

The Seattle Seahawks released defensive tackle Shelby Harris on Tuesday. Per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, the Seahawks tried to deal Harris but could not find a trade partner.

Now that Harris is available to sign, he should draft much more interest. The 31-year-old is a consistent defensive tackle who has logged at least 32 tackles and two sacks in each of the past four seasons. He had 49 tackles and six sacks with the Denver Broncos two years ago.

19. WR Adam Thielen

The Minnesota Vikings released wideout Adam Thielen last week, and he jumped right into our top 50.

Thielen is 32 years old, had just 716 receiving yards last year and appears to have lost a step in the speed department. However, he's still a savvy route-runner who knows how to create separation.

While Thielen is no longer a Pro Bowl-caliber receiver, he can be a solid No. 2 or No. 3 option for a receiver-needy offense. According to ESPN's David Newton, the Carolina Panthers hosted him on a Wednesday visit.

18. Edge Melvin Ingram

Melvin Ingram turns 34 in April, but he remains a solid rotational pass-rusher. This past season, he recorded six sacks, 18 quarterback pressures and 22 tackles while playing just 45 percent of the defensive snaps.

At his age, Ingram isn't a terrific fit for a rebuilding team. However, he'd be a solid addition for a potential playoff contender seeking a one- or two-year contributor on the edge.

11. WR DJ Chark

Detroit Lions wideout DJ Chark is one of the more underrated players headed into free agency. He hasn't had a 1,000-yard season since 2019, and he didn't produce eye-popping numbers in Detroit this past year (502 yards, 3 TDs).

However, it's worth noting that Chark suffered a season-ending ankle injury in 2021 and spent time on injured reserve with an ankle injury this past season, which limited his production. When healthy, Chark is a speedy and dynamic perimeter threat who will stretch the field and help dictate coverages. He should be viewed as a high-end No. 2 receiver.

9. DT Poona Ford

Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford might be the most underrated defender headed into free agency. Though he doesn't possess ideal length, the 5'11", 310-pound Texas product is a space-eater who can clog running lanes and disrupt the backfield.

Signed as an undrafted free agent out of Texas in 2018, Ford quickly emerged as a versatile and productive pro. He has played several roles in Seattle's defensive front, and he's logged at least 30 tackles in each of the past four seasons.

Over the past two seasons, Ford has compiled 88 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, three passes defended, five sacks and 22 quarterback pressures.

With the defensive-tackle dominoes falling quickly, Ford should not remain available for much longer.

There are a couple of other guys I like, but they would cost too much.

Chark is probably going to want too much money despite his injury history. Campbell may want too much? Not sure about that one. I have no idea how much Ford would want.

I think there is a possibility that we bring in one more guy. Maybe two. Then again, I think the chances of not signing another player is probably over 50%.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/19/23 07:01 PM
Wonder if Zach Pascal might be a name to watch at WR. Not the burner that many people want, but we're probably better off looking for that guy in the draft now. Pascal could do the dirty work from the slot and play special teams, while adding leadership to the wr room.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/19/23 11:27 PM
Bummer.

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Bummer.

Surprised he got a 3 year contract. Wonder what the details look like.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 03:47 AM
Probably easy terms to get out of after a year, two at most.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 03:48 AM

Hmmmmm. Wonder what's going on there. Definitely not the kind of contract I expected.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Bummer.

Surprised he got a 3 year contract. Wonder what the details look like.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 04:01 AM
I think Berry did an excellent job in FA. Might even give it an A. B+ for sure.

I think we are done with any big FA signing for the time being. We may add another after the June 1 cuts happen and a little more money becomes available. One also has to consider that many vets aren't all that interested in signing much before camp, that way they can skip all the mandatory mini camp stuff.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 06:03 AM

Hmmmmm. Wonder what's going on there. Definitely not the kind of contract I expected.

Thanks for the update,

That's a pretty big raise from the 2.5M he played for last season.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 10:47 AM
While it is a big raise coming off his cheap rookie deal, spotrac had his market value projected at 5yr/~66.6M for an average annual value of 13.3M. His getting only around 2/3 of that AAV and for only 1 year surprised me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 12:10 PM
Great move for the Lions. I thought he was the best FS on the market. He can also play corner/slot. The contract is surprising. He was projected to get a big contract.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 12:21 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 12:22 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 12:56 PM
The Lions are becoming a much better team.

It would not be a surprise to see them win their division.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 01:52 PM
While it is a big raise coming off his cheap rookie deal, spotrac had his market value projected at 5yr/~66.6M for an average annual value of 13.3M. His getting only around 2/3 of that AAV and for only 1 year surprised me.

I understand that, But most teams see him as a slot CB, not a full time Safety.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 03:34 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 04:08 PM

#TheAndrewBerrySpecial
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 06:16 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 08:19 PM
I think Andrew Berry has done an excellent job in FA this year. As noted in the locked thread, PFF has us tied for 2nd w/a few other teams in regards to which teams have done the best in FA.

Excellent job by Berry...completely ignoring the Browns offensive line...

Just an example of Andy Berry being true to his own knowledge of football...OLine is nothing but Oline and OG and OT are nothing more than OGs and OTs...right Andy..?

What could go wrong if a blitzing LB takes out the Browns starting QB...right Andy..?

Never forget what "Andy" said about the importance of offensive lineman when he completely screwed up on his first round pick in the 2020 draft..."tackles are tackles"...just one problem, not all tackles are tackles...

Good ole Browns GM Andy Berry drafted Jedrick Wills Jr. @ #10, passing over Tristen Wirfs...Wirfs accomplishments below...

Tristen Wirfs...2020 all rookie team
....................2020 Super Bowl Champion
....................2021 All Pro
....................2022 All Pro

Good Ole Andy lets his #1 backup G/C gets picked up as the Cards because OLine guys are simply OLine guys.

Some things can't be fixed...allowing the Browns best backup Guard and Center might end up costing the Browns a shot at the playoffs or a chance at a Super Bowl because the Browns GM didn't realize how important the "offensive line is" to the success or failure to the Browns chances of making the 2023 playoffs or Super Bowl.

Some things just can't be fixed...such as GMs who have no idea what it takes to produce a playoff caliber offensive unit.

There is no more important unit on a football team than "the offensive line"..!!!
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Just an example of Andy Berry being true to his own knowledge of football...OLine is nothing but Oline and OG and OT are nothing more than OGs and OTs...right Andy..?

What could go wrong if a blitzing LB takes out the Browns starting QB...right Andy..?

Never forget what "Andy" said about the importance of offensive lineman when he completely screwed up on his first round pick in the 2020 draft..."tackles are tackles"...just one problem, not all tackles are tackles...

Good ole Browns GM Andy Berry drafted Jedrick Wills Jr. @ #10, passing over Tristen Wirfs...Wirfs accomplishments below...

Good Ole Andy lets his #1 backup G/C gets picked up as the Cards because OLine guys are simply OLine guys.

Some things can't be fixed...allowing the Browns best backup Guard and Center might end up costing the Browns a shot at the playoffs or a chance at a Super Bowl because the Browns GM didn't realize how important the "offensive line is" to the success or failure to the Browns chances of making the 2023 playoffs or Super Bowl.

Some things just can't be fixed...such as GMs who have no idea what it takes to produce a playoff caliber offensive unit.

There is no more important unit on a football team than "the offensive line"..!!!

We're spending the 6th highest amount on OL in the league. We were higher until teams gave out big contracts since this year's free agency began. Most fans (and amateur/OBR prognosticators) I've seen are complaining about us spending too much on the OL. I agree the OL is important, but there is a point when the investment can be too much.

Our "#1 backup G/C" was only playing after our starting C (Harris) and rookie G/C (Deaton) got injured in training camp. Dunn also went on IR during the season as did Pocic. So is he really our #1 backup or was he our #3/4 backup?

Tampa Bay has run primarily a man/power scheme. We have run primarily a (outside) zone scheme. The schemes require different things of their lineman. The success would quite possibly have been different if Wills' and Wirfs' situations had been reversed. One had Tom Brady quickly getting rid of the ball. The other had Baker Mayfield.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 08:59 PM
That post should have been in purple or you let Throw Long use your account.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 09:25 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 09:30 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 09:32 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/20/23 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by mac

1. The guy we let go to the Cards was our fourth string center. He also sucked by every metric and the eye test.
2. Wirfs is a great RIGHT TACKLE. We have no idea how he would have made the transition. Scouting reports were all over the place from RT to guard to LT.
3. “Andy” has brought in Conklin, Teller, Pocic as well as drafting Harris and Wills as well as giving Bitonio a big fat extension. He has made the oline a priority. We have 3 pro bowler/ all pros on the line with decent depth.
4. Oline is the most important unit in football. Ours is one of the best.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Originally Posted by mac

1. The guy we let go to the Cards was our fourth string center. He also sucked by every metric and the eye test.
2. Wirfs is a great RIGHT TACKLE. We have no idea how he would have made the transition. Scouting reports were all over the place from RT to guard to LT.
3. “Andy” has brought in Conklin, Teller, Pocic as well as drafting Harris and Wills as well as giving Bitonio a big fat extension. He has made the oline a priority. We have 3 pro bowler/ all pros on the line with decent depth.
4. Oline is the most important unit in football. Ours is one of the best.

Not a big deal, but Dorsey traded with Buffalo for Teller. Wasn't a huge Dorsey fan in hindsight, but give credit where credit is due.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 12:13 AM
Thanks for the correction. Berry did extend him with a big contract.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 12:20 PM
Berry's talent evaluation has been a mixed bag, but he has put more emphasis on the OL than any GM we have had. He's done a great job of helping to build the OL and also keeping that talent in Cleveland. In addition to he moves you mentioned, he has also recently extended Conklin and Pocic. He brings in projects each year. I believe Dunn is one guy who will be a valuable reserve.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 12:34 PM
Do you remember what the OL looked like when AB started?

To imply AB did not address the OL is fallacy.

He drafted a Wills. Signed Conklin, Extended Bitonio. Had Tretter who was good till he retired. Replaced him with Pocic.

The OL has been rated as on of the best since 2020.

Wills was a RT moved to LT. Wirfs is a RT. Wills is 23. It takes time to develop. OL can have long careers and most get better with more experience.

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 12:38 PM
Berry's talent evaluation has been a mixed bag, but he has put more emphasis on the OL than any GM we have had. He's done a great job of helping to build the OL and also keeping that talent in Cleveland. In addition to he moves you mentioned, he has also recently extended Conklin and Pocic. He brings in projects each year. I believe Dunn is one guy who will be a valuable reserve.

FYI: Dunn is a free agent at the moment. I would be surprised if they did not try and re-sign him though - they did not tender him...so he's a URFA. I think he's a valuable backup and can spot-start as long as he's healthy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 12:42 PM
This guy is a good back. Missed some time w/an injury. Very underrated.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 02:21 PM
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 02:24 PM

Good to see Baker is eating well. He's looking a bit pudgy
These days. How many pudgy QBs have been successful
In the NFL?
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 02:43 PM
rofl

He looks... pudgy??

The obsession is real with some of the haters.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 03:11 PM
One had Tom Brady quickly getting rid of the ball. The other had Baker Mayfield.

While I agree with the bulk of your post in this part you must have forgotten about 2022.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 03:31 PM
This guy was linked to the Browns.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 06:49 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 06:50 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/21/23 07:36 PM
I was kinda hoping we'd get this guy.

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 02:50 AM
However praising of Berry folks want to be, I think we can see that once again, whether it would be pick any year since 99
in March of 23 once again the offensive playmakers have to wait until all of the defensive players get signed, settled, situated, packed in, reinforced, and addressed a 2nd time until they throw a bone at the offensive playmakers.
same old recipe, 26th, or 200th time's the charm. Hey, Good Luck. thumbsup
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
However praising of Berry folks want to be, I think we can see that once again, whether it would be pick any year since 99
in March of 23 once again the offensive playmakers have to wait until all of the defensive players get signed, settled, situated, packed in, reinforced, and addressed a 2nd time until they throw a bone at the offensive playmakers.
same old recipe, 26th, or 200th time's the charm. Hey, Good Luck. thumbsup

We're already spending more money on offense than any other team in the league. Link
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 01:15 PM
mac do you wish to talk OL or just fart out of your mouth willynilly

You keep with the Wrfth and putting up stats as if that actually means something. Just a heads up but Wrrf played RT not LT and then you compare him to our Wills. You do know there is a difference between the two positions!!! We are calculating the growth of each season by Wills - all Wills needs right now is to be a GYM RAT - Asta la Vista Baby. Andrew has done an excellent job with the OL

#1 is keeping our OL Coach intact But he has given this team an amazing shot at improving their O, D and special teams so that only the retardation of our QB into the system could keep us at bay. WE ARE SET UP TO WIIN!!!

Thank You Berry! excellent job.
jmho
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 01:37 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 02:06 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 03:22 PM
Hopefully he cut that in half...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 03:30 PM
I am beginning to think there is something there with the "Jeudy buzz."

AB is sticking with the pursuit. He is an aggressive guy when he gets in that mode.

I think we might end with Jeudy.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 05:56 PM
j/c...

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Bummer.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
j/c...

Bummer.

Good for him. He deserves a chance. He wasn’t going to get it here.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:20 PM
Pretty good move for Houston.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:34 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:38 PM
Jeremy Fowler originally tweeted it out as Hardman signing with the Browns before correcting and changing to the Jets. Browns must've been after Hardman as it came down to the wire.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:41 PM
Jeremy Fowler originally tweeted it out as Hardman signing with the Browns before correcting and changing to the Jets. Browns must've been after Hardman as it came down to the wire.

Yeah, it feels like it was a ready-to-go tweet.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:42 PM
That post should have been in purple or you let Throw Long use your account.

Vers...who was it that said "tackles are tackles" to justify his draft choice..?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Yeah, it feels like it was a ready-to-go tweet.

And then Jordan Schultz gets exposed for copying Fowler's mistake and tweeting it out like he himself had an inside source before correcting it and crediting Fowler as being first to report.

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:48 PM

He's just foreshadowing the Elijah Moore trade that's following this move. ... hopefully.

Seems a kind of strange move with Garrett Wilson, Lazard, Corey Davis, and Elijah already there.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:49 PM
mac do you wish to talk OL

eo..who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 06:59 PM
Just a heads up but Wrrf played RT not LT and then you compare him to our Wills. You do know there is a difference between the two positions!!!

eo..actually, it wasn't me who said "tackles are tackle" when comparing the 2020 OT options available in the 2020 draft...

'tackles are tackles', not worried about left vs. right side

Jeff Risdon
April 10, 2020 11:13 am ET
link

The Cleveland Browns still need a left tackle. New GM Andrew Berry was peppered with questions about filling the glaring hole on the offensive line during his Friday morning press conference.

One of the key statements from Berry defused some of the argument against players like Jedrick Wills and Tristan Wirfs, players who toiled on the right side in college. Berry doesn’t worry about the differentiation between left and right tackle.

“I think the distinction between left tackle and right tackle is really outdated,” Berry said. “Tackles are tackles.”

Did Berry tip his hand even further? The tone in which he said the following sure made it seem like the No. 10 pick will be a tackle,

“The offensive line is always going to be a priority,” Berry stated emphatically. “Not just this year, but every year.”

EO...do you believe "Andy" knows that there is a difference between left tackles and right tackles..?...Andy says "tackles are tackles"...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:07 PM
OT's are judged by their skill set which determines their ability to play either RT, LT or both. I have no idea why you're trying to muddy the water here.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:21 PM
pit...it was Andrew Berry who justified his selection of a RT to fill the Browns need to fill our LT needs by letting everyone know that "tackles are tackles" and those who believe otherwise are using outdated principles for judging OT talent...READ BELOW, Berry's thoughts...

Andrew Berry: 'tackles are tackles', not worried about left vs. right side
link

One of the key statements from Berry defused some of the argument against players like Jedrick Wills and Tristan Wirfs, players who toiled on the right side in college. Berry doesn’t worry about the differentiation between left and right tackle.

“I think the distinction between left tackle and right tackle is really outdated,” Berry said. “Tackles are tackles.”
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:32 PM
I like AB and I'm glad he's here but I disagree with his assessment on OT's JMO
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:34 PM
And he was correct. DE's have become much more quick and agile. In times past NFL teams focused on rushing the QB far more on their blind side which is the left for right handed QB's. Now pressure often comes from both sides and RT's need to be much quicker and more agile than in years past. For an example you can easily see, look at how much the browns mover Myles around. Either an OT is quick and agile enough to play LT or he's not. His skill set alone determines that. I understand you're trying to dig a rabbit hole here but don't expect for me to crawl down into it with you.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:45 PM
Berry's knowledge and judgement of "Offensive Linemen" based on his draft choices should be questioned.

Berry made sure that everyone knew that his choice for drafting a RT to fill the Browns LT position had nothing to do with either Wirfs or Wills playing Right Tackle...it came down the Browns GM's ability to judge OT talent.

I will let the performance of each player's performance on the field to judge whether Berry made the correct choice to fill the Browns OLine needs.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:46 PM
Josh Dobbs graduated with a degree in aerospace engineering from Tennessee

"Dobbs majored in aerospace engineering during his time at the University of Tennessee.[4] The university presented him with the 2017 Torchbearer Award, the highest honor for an undergraduate student, which recognizes accomplishments in the community and academics. Dobbs was heralded as possessing a perfect 4.0 grade point average and being named to the Southeastern Conference Academic Honor Roll."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Dobbs

Damn, that is impressive, good for him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by mac
pit...it was Andrew Berry who justified his selection of a RT to fill the Browns need to fill our LT needs by letting everyone know that "tackles are tackles" and those who believe otherwise are using outdated principles for judging OT talent...READ BELOW, Berry's thoughts...

Andrew Berry: 'tackles are tackles', not worried about left vs. right side
link

And he's right.
Posted By: hitt Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 08:56 PM
PFF has rated our team offensive line as one of the best WITH current tackles- good enough for me. I think AB has hit a home run with his Free Agency gets. PFF had us rated high BEFORE getting WR Moore and LB Walker/ when healthy is a good player......good job AB.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by hitt
PFF has rated our team offensive line as one of the best WITH current tackles- good enough for me. I think AB has hit a home run with his Free Agency gets. PFF had us rated high BEFORE getting WR Moore and LB Walker/ when healthy is a good player......good job AB.

Anthony Walker had a 82.7 overall grade before going down with a season-ending injury.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 10:57 PM
j/c:

Glad we did not go after Hardman. I used to like him, but he's inconsistent and I think having Mahomes, Kelce, and T. Hill provided great advantages for guys like him. Dude is fast, but not a route runner.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 11:20 PM
He's just foreshadowing the Elijah Moore trade that's following this move. ... hopefully.

Spoke it into existence!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/22/23 11:24 PM
Yep. Great call by Bull!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 12:40 PM
Normally I do not pay much attention to media coverage. But I was wondering what the reaction was going to be after the Moore trade.

The Browns and the Jets ended the 2022 season with the same record. Both teams finished last in their division.

As of today Rodgers is not a Jet. Yet the coverage is all about the Jets. How they could be the best team in the AFC with Rodgers.

Here is the Jets roster:
https://www.jetnation.com/2022-new-york-jets-roster-players/

Compare the Jets offense to the Browns. Try and be objective. Honestly tell me how Jets are better with Rodgers?

The only person I have heard say a thing about the Browns after getting Moore was Dan Orlovsky. He stated yesterday that if DW is anywhere close to his 2020 season. "The Browns are a sleeping giant that we have shunned."

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 12:52 PM
There are a few reasons for the media's coverage.

First and foremost, they cover Aaron Rodgers 365 days a year.

Secondly, it's NY.

Finally, the Jets roster is really, really good. They have perhaps the best D in the league. They have weapons at WR and TE. Garrett Wilson is a true stud and he was only a rookie last year. Rookie Breece Hall was killing it at RB last year before getting hurt. He's amazing. There are questions on the OL, but the media doesn't spend as much time on the OL as some of us do.

The Jets had the worst QB play in the entire league last year. They scored 12 pts or less in 7 games. Wilson acted like a spoiled, entitled brat and his teammates loathed him. They are getting Aaron Rodgers and he is one of the greatest qbs to ever play. I think they are legit Super Bowl contenders. I'm telling you, the AFC is freaking loaded and despite our improvements, it's going to be a difficult path to circumvent.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 01:11 PM
I understand the why.

But I am not convinced even with Rodgers that their offense is better than ours.

Start with the OL. Rodgers is 39. His numbers like every qb goes way down when under pressure.

They have done nothing with the OL. A OL that for most of the season changed all year long and was not good.

Here are the rankings for 2023:

Browns third.

Jets 29th.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-offensive-lines-nfl-rankings/

They have talent on defense. Their offense with a 29th ranked OL?

I am not so sure about.

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
I understand the why.

But I am not convinced even with Rodgers that their offense is better than ours.

Start with the OL. Rodgers is 39. His numbers like every qb goes way down when under pressure.

They have done nothing with the OL. A OL that for most of the season changed all year long and was not good.

Here are the rankings for 2023:

Browns third.

Jets 29th.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-offensive-lines-nfl-rankings/

They have talent on defense. Their offense with a 29th ranked OL?

I am not so sure about.

A lot depends on Becton staying healthy. They've missed him the past 2 seasons. It looks like he's back healthy and in good shape.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And he was correct. DE's have become much more quick and agile. In times past NFL teams focused on rushing the QB far more on their blind side which is the left for right handed QB's. Now pressure often comes from both sides and RT's need to be much quicker and more agile than in years past. For an example you can easily see, look at how much the browns mover Myles around. Either an OT is quick and agile enough to play LT or he's not. His skill set alone determines that. I understand you're trying to dig a rabbit hole here but don't expect for me to crawl down into it with you.

Mac is just irritated his pimped player, the "Danish Dynamo" Froholdt wasn't retained.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 02:46 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 03:19 PM
He was one of the WR's that people claimed was on Rodgers wish list in order to go to the Jets.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Mac is just irritated his pimped player, the "Danish Dynamo" Froholdt wasn't retained.

peen...who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?

Who was the Browns best backup center for last season...?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:00 PM
j/c:

Saints were $100 Gazillion over the cap and now $15M under. Lolz.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:03 PM
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/2001437/browns-salary-cap#Post2001437
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:05 PM

Thanks, Board Officer Pit but I'll choose to keep it here as it relates to cap space available for all teams as free agency is still ongoing.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:07 PM
Wonder what the 49ers might be willing to trade from their DL.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:09 PM
Wonder what the 49ers might be willing to trade from their DL.

Jets only have $10M. I wonder how, if at all, that would affect the Rodgers deal.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:20 PM

Thanks, Board Officer Pit but I'll choose to keep it here as it relates to cap space available for all teams as free agency is still ongoing.

You see, I'm not the one who is always complaining about keeping salary cap discussion limited to the salary cap thread. We both know who that is. I was just wondering how different the reaction would be from your ilk if I was the one who did the same thing. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:25 PM
Please don't try and ruin another thread.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 05:30 PM
I didn't do anything of the sort. I simply posted a link to the salary cap thread. It was you who posted this in response.

Then I explained the reason for my post. I'd say the ball is in your court.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by mac

I guess I will ask again...peen...who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?

Anyone...?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 09:29 PM
No one cares about your stupid question. You have not acknowledged that they kept Conklin and Pocic. You continue to throw shade on the Browns. That's your right, but don't pout when we ignore your agenda.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

I guess I will ask again...peen...who was the best backup OG for the Browns last season..?

Anyone...?

the best backup is the one that never plays a snap all season
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

Anyone...?

A better question might be why would Froholdt want to be a backup here when he'll likely start for Arizona?

I'd say that Pocic was our best backup center considering Harris was supposed to be the starter.

Considering we've been able to function with "some guy named Blake" thrown on the field, I think Callahan will figure something out at G.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 09:44 PM
Jack Burns and Quincy Carrier have a interesting football discussion on the moves the Browns have made.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 09:54 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 10:15 PM

Lol. What a mess.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 10:27 PM
A real life Lionel Hutz.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 10:38 PM
Good one.

Lionel Hutz

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by mac

I liked Froholdt too. I liked him when he played at Arkansas. I have always liked Arkansas. I liked the name of the state when I was a kid and I like their helmets and name. Razorbacks....how cool is that?

He signed a 2 year deal with Az....I think it was Az..I don't know that we didn't make an effort to sign the guy. It probably came down to him or keeping Pocic, so with that in mind, I am glad we kept Pocic. Sometimes it is what it is. The realities are you can't keep everybody. We have a lot of money invested in the O-line.

I would have liked to have kept the guy, but he wasn't going to start, and he wasn't good at center. If he had been, we may have kept him. You can only spend so much on a guy who projected out as a back-up.

I would have liked to have kept him and sure Berry and coaches would have, but we have only so many dollars we can spend on the O-line without taking shortcuts somewhere else.

So it boiled to keeping a center who was pretty darn good or keeping a guy to play center who was maybe marginal. I seem to recall you saying you played center in HS. Then you know it isn't a position you can just stick anybody in there to play. It doesn't mean the Dane wasn't a good player. He just wasn't a center. He is a guard.

Just because a guy plays center doesn't mean he can play guard or just because a guy plays guard means he can be a center. Different strength and agility requirements involved.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/23/23 11:03 PM

The Complete Collusion Gym.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 12:14 AM

The Complete Collusion Gym.

This will be perfect for me to take to the movie theater. No more sitting in a reclined seat like a couch potato. I'll be working up a sweat in the aisle!

Side note: I feel like Lamar Jackson is about to get Kaepernick'd.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 12:24 PM
Once again, the NFL rears its ugly head w/unfair treatment, dirty tactics, inconsistent decisions, and collusionary actions.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 12:42 PM
I don't know that it's collusion as much as teams understanding the circumstances.

Any team making an offer would have to make it so high that Baltimore would not match it, otherwise you're just creating unnecessary media attention.
In doing so, you have to make sure you have the financial end ready to deal with the it, in which many would need to clean out some other contracts to accomplish the financials.

Not saying there isn't any "collusion", but just because there aren't teams lining up, doesn't mean there are. The chances of successfully signing him are low without an outrageous offer.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 12:44 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 01:30 PM
The tag he is on is "built in" collusion. Also, I was speaking more of how they made the non-certified agent public.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 01:58 PM
Vers, I'm not trying to argue as I know you are pretty passionate about the rift between the NFLPA and owners in the league. So answer if you want to or don't. With that said, I'm not sure the league needed to send a memo and "shine light" on a strange situation that they don't really approve of. However, it is strange and a lot of everybody has said this makes it hard to work towards a contract.

I heard one talking head make mention of the fact that agents do a lot of their work at the combine every year... a place where you can at least get a pulse, kick ideas around, etc... There was no agent for Lamar there, obviously. Instead, all we have is a vague idea of Jackson's demands; and all interested teams have (legitimately) is a chance to overpay for an enigmatic, sometimes great, sometimes average QB... or do Baltimore's work for them.

Anyway...

Didn't the "built in" collusion start with his own team choosing that tag?

Did the Ravens want to collude to keep Jackson out of football or give him the shaft? Or was it to let the market determine the value of a QB that couldn't finish the last two seasons and thinks he should be the highest paid in the game... "guar-un-teed"?

You're the GM... Lamar seems earnest in wanting to make the move and puts the "offer" ball in your court. What is your final offer?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 02:15 PM
I almost did not make my previous post because I know you think the idea of collusion is ridiculous. We disagree on that and it's no big deal.

I do think Lamar should have an agent.

I do not think the NFL had to make the memo so public. They are purposely painting an unflattering picture of Lamar.

When I mentioned "built in" collusion, I was not talking about Lamar's case. It's like that for every player. Many NFL players--mostly former--have talked about the Non-exclusive tag as being "built in" collusion. It's not a secret.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 02:29 PM

I need to see how this breaks down because right now I'm confused. Guaranteeing $30M in 2026 now as part of a 1 year extension for a guy who will be 36 seems odd. It is likely a sort of retroactive signing bonus that will be spread out starting now, but it just sounded weird.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 02:49 PM

I need to see how this breaks down because right now I'm confused. Guaranteeing $30M in 2026 now as part of a 1 year extension for a guy who will be 36 seems odd. It is likely a sort of retroactive signing bonus that will be spread out starting now, but it just sounded weird.

From a larger article:

The one-year, $33.445 million extension includes $30 million in guaranteed money, according to a source. ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported the deal.

Johnson, 32, was already under contract through the 2025 season but this adds one more year to his existing deal. While Johnson will be 33 for the 2023 season, he’s still playing at an extremely high level and was an All-Pro in 2022.

This extension will lower Johnson’s cap hit for the 2023 season. It was scheduled to be over $24 million, the highest on the team after the Darius Slay extension last week. The Eagles will likely pay out a significant portion of Johnson’s $14.155 base salary in 2023 in a bonus to lower his cap hit. According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Johnson's cap hit this season will be lowered by $9.4 million.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 04:24 PM
j/c

Just a comment by Ozzy Newsome on what has helped complicate the Lamar situation....

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 04:54 PM
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 04:57 PM
j/c

Just a comment by Ozzy Newsome on what has helped complicate the Lamar situation....

Good. I hope the Browns made the situation very complicated for the Ravens and next year the Bengals. There not our friends and we should do everything in our power to make things harder on them. That is what good GM's do. There was talk the Ravens actually want to somehow get Lamar to sign the franchise tag for 1 year and revisit the contract again next year to see what the Bengals do with Burrow.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 05:33 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 05:34 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/24/23 06:46 PM
I almost did not make my previous post because I know you think the idea of collusion is ridiculous. We disagree on that and it's no big deal.

I do think Lamar should have an agent.

I do not think the NFL had to make the memo so public. They are purposely painting an unflattering picture of Lamar.

When I mentioned "built in" collusion, I was not talking about Lamar's case. It's like that for every player. Many NFL players--mostly former--have talked about the Non-exclusive tag as being "built in" collusion. It's not a secret.

If there is built in collusion, then the NFLPA helped buil;d that in .... oe at least agreed to it.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 01:40 AM
Once again, the NFL rears its ugly head w/unfair treatment, dirty tactics, inconsistent decisions, and collusionary actions.

I agree. They are forcing him to stay in Baltimore and take what he can get or walk. I hate to see it too, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I want him gone, just not from the NFL altogether.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
j/c

Good. I hope the Browns made the situation very complicated for the Ravens and next year the Bengals. There not our friends and we should do everything in our power to make things harder on them. That is what good GM's do. There was talk the Ravens actually want to somehow get Lamar to sign the franchise tag for 1 year and revisit the contract again next year to see what the Bengals do with Burrow.

Yep, and I hated the trade, but you have to give AB and the FO credit for creating this situation too. We have our guy, and now the guy on every other team thinks, why not me too?
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Yep, and I hated the trade, but you have to give AB and the FO credit for creating this situation too. We have our guy, and now the guy on every other team thinks, why not me too?

I have to believe we have our guy, and I have said I think fully guaranteed contracts were inevitable, especially for certain positions. We do need to consider that at some point in the future we will be "bitten" by this for a different player. It may not be this front office that has to deal with it, but I am not front office fan.

The genie is not going back in the bottle forever.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 02:25 AM
Could RB Kareem Hunt return to the Browns?

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/could_rb_kareem_hunt_return_to_the_browns/s1_13132_38610303

Boy, it sure would be nice to find a way to fit him in. He's by far our best back out of the backfield, IMO. If Berry somehow signs Hunt back, say for two years on the cheap, then this would be the best offseason the browns have ever had. If there was a better one, I'm either forgetting it or was unaware, but AB is fire as a GM. And shame on anyone who says differently.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 03:41 AM
That’d be cool if KH came back. I noticed that losing D’Ernest Johnson to FA didn’t get a lot of play around here but I thought we’d keep him. He is a damn good back and has shown it. If Chubb gets hurt, I hope we have Kareem to help our run game.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 01:56 PM
For as long as I can remember when the draft begins; the Browns looked to the draft to solve problems.

Let's face it every team has position questions. As a year ends teams are forced to cut players. Or, players leave holes as they enter free agency.

Contracts expire. Players retire.

Today we could field our starting team. I really can not remember being in this position. In addition, we may still sign free agents. I mean we may resign Hunt. And, or we may sign another D lineman.

In addition we enter the draft with eight picks.

We have added: Tomlinson, Dobbs, Moore, Goodwin, Adams, Ford, Hurst, Akins, Hill, Obo, Thornhill, and resigned Kunaszyk, Taki, Green, Pocic, Walker

That is a large transition. Plus we have a new defensive coordinator and ST coordinator and some position coaches.

The 2023 Browns are a different team.

Camp will be competitive. It will not be easy to make this roster. There are a number of guys who will be fighting to stay on the team.

When I look back at other seasons at this time. There were always major doubts. I can not say what the end of 2023 will look like. But it sure is refreshing to be in this position for once.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 02:02 PM

According to this ESPN grading scale, the Browns roster is ranked 9th overall.

Not surprisingly, our OL is ranked the highest of our position groups, followed by the corners, with QB and Edge being tied for third best. Some may argue the RB unit should be higher, but it's right behind the QB and Edge ranking. I'm assuming that not signing Hunt and losing DEJ hurt that particular grade.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 02:18 PM
What is the date of this spread sheet?

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 03:03 PM
Yesterday, March 24th.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 03:07 PM
I made a mistake in my first post. Our offense is ranked 9th overall. The defensive roster is ranked 13th.

That makes more sense. I was thinking the 9th overall was probably too high.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 03:20 PM
I think our grade is actually pushed a good bit down because of DW's performance last season. If he returns to form, it appears that would be a big bump up assuming the percentages at the top relate to weighting.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 03:24 PM
I thought the same thing.

Having Austin Ekeler and Joshua Kelley rated 2x higher than Nick Chubb and anyone with a pulse is a bit obscene.

Edit: Ooops, read the Broncos line instead of the Browns.

Still, Chargers RBs at 3.9... Browns at 2.5?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 03:50 PM
Given the recent changes in receivers. I wonder what we have ranked before adding Moore and Goodwin.

Obviously DW ranking is from the last six games.

Interesting but I feel our offense has been improved.

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/25/23 06:02 PM
For as long as I can remember when the draft begins; the Browns looked to the draft to solve problems.

Let's face it every team has position questions. As a year ends teams are forced to cut players. Or, players leave holes as they enter free agency.

Today we could field our starting team. I really can not remember being in this position. In addition, we may still sign free agents. I mean we may resign Hunt. And, or we may sign another D lineman.

We have added: Tomlinson, Dobbs, Moore, Goodwin, Adams, Ford, Hurst, Akins, Hill, Obo, Thornhill, and resigned Kunaszyk, Taki, Green, Pocic, Walker

That is a large transition. Plus we have a new defensive coordinator and ST coordinator and some position coaches.

Camp will be competitive. It will not be easy to make this roster. There are a number of guys who will be fighting to stay on the team.

When I look back at other seasons at this time. There were always major doubts. I can not say what the end of 2023 will look like. But it sure is refreshing to be in this position for once.

Well said. There is much to like about this off-season. I'm not at all excited about Dobbs and/or Walker coming back (don't hate it...don't love it)...Goodwin is a bit of a flyer (in a good way)...and I think Browns fans in general crazy-overvalue DPJ (who I really like)...BUT...looking at these moves ON THE WHOLE...it's awfully hard to be critical of how Berry & Co went at this off-season. Moore and Goodwin might not be world-beaters...BUT...when added to Cooper, those guys help make the unit (& DPJ) dramatically better than we've had since I-don't-know-when. Another athletic TE in Akins is just what we needed IMO. Good stuff all around and I didn't even opine on the D additions.

They could still use a vet DT/DE and they should be able to find some contributors in the draft - even with limited ammo to do so. I'd feel better if we found a decent FA Safety to backup the group before the draft. Very little to complain about.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/26/23 12:13 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/26/23 03:51 PM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/26/23 07:13 PM
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/26/23 09:04 PM

I don't think there has been a team as active in free agency
So far then the Browns. Berry has been aggressive and not
OVERPAID for any free agent
But I will say all these additions this year tells you how
Over rated the Browns roster was going into last year.
So many had the Browns predicted to win the North
Or be a Wild Card
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/26/23 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info.

Some complain, but for what it is worth as reports after being a pro are limited. At least this gives a baseline idea since few of us know anything about the guy.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/wes-martin/32004d41-5276-3142-cf04-a9d5c3a3b08b

Obviously has enough talent to bounce around the NFL for 4 years...a replacement for the Froholdt.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/26/23 09:57 PM
I am on the record for years: I do not give a hoot about who wins us games — just win, baby. Welcome to the new Browns; win us some games! I think this FA has done us more good than FA has for quite awhile. I feel better about the draft with our FA signings. The season will prove whether it was enough good. Unleash the Elf!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 11:54 AM
Thanks for the article. I like reading to read some background information on a guy I know nothing about.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 12:20 PM
j/c:

Still waiting for the Browns to sign Matt Ioannidis.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 01:15 PM
j/c:

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 01:23 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 02:40 PM
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...anders-indiana-milton-union/70050126007/

PHOENIX — The first day of the NFL Owners Meetings in Phoenix brought with it news of another Browns addition.

A league source confirmed to the Beacon Journal that Cleveland will sign offensive guard Wes Martin at some point this week. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler was the first to report.

Martin fits in with the Browns as a candidate to be one of the interior depth players on the offensive line. The Browns lost Hjalte Froholdt, who held that role last year, when he signed as a free agent this month with the Arizona Cardinals.

Another potential interior depth piece from last season, Michael Dunn, remains a restricted free agent. The Browns did re-sign center Ethan Pocic to a three-year deal, the only offensive line move they've made in free agency prior to this week.

Martin, who grew up in West Milton, Ohio, and attended Milton Union High School, has spent his entire career on active rosters in the NFC East since being a 2019 fourth-round pick by Washington out of Indiana University.

The first two seasons were spent with Washington, playing in a combined 32 games, including a playoff game, with 10 starts. He appeared in all 17 games, regular season and playoffs, for the team during the 2020 season.

The New York Giants signed Martin on Sept. 21, 2021, after he had ended up on the Commanders' practice squad. He played seven games, including one start, with the Giants before being waived the following May.

Martin initially signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, but was released on Aug. 23. The next day, he returned to Washington, where he played six games, almost exclusively on special teams.

According to Pro Football Reference, Martin has played 760 offensive snaps and 128 special-teams snaps.

Contact Chris at ceasterling@thebeaconjournal.com.

On Twitter: @ceasterlingABJ
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 02:46 PM
I hope we re-sign Dunn. He got banged up last year, but I liked him better than Froholdt.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 02:54 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 02:55 PM
Going live to Andrew Berry:

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 03:05 PM
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 04:29 PM
I hope we re-sign Dunn. He got banged up last year, but I liked him better than Froholdt.

I agree. mac is pretty salty about losing Froholdt (which is fine) but I think Dunn would have played ahead of Froholdt if Dunn's health would have allowed it. I read this morning that Dunn is the same age as Conklin...not that that is old, but maybe they want a younger guy with even-more upside than Dunn.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 04:32 PM
j/c:

One safety off the board.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 06:45 PM

And the battle to control the narrative carries on.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...anders-indiana-milton-union/70050126007/

PHOENIX — The first day of the NFL Owners Meetings in Phoenix brought with it news of another Browns addition.

A league source confirmed to the Beacon Journal that Cleveland will sign offensive guard Wes Martin at some point this week. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler was the first to report.

Martin fits in with the Browns as a candidate to be one of the interior depth players on the offensive line. The Browns lost Hjalte Froholdt, who held that role last year, when he signed as a free agent this month with the Arizona Cardinals.

Another potential interior depth piece from last season, Michael Dunn, remains a restricted free agent. The Browns did re-sign center Ethan Pocic to a three-year deal, the only offensive line move they've made in free agency prior to this week.

Martin, who grew up in West Milton, Ohio, and attended Milton Union High School, has spent his entire career on active rosters in the NFC East since being a 2019 fourth-round pick by Washington out of Indiana University.

The first two seasons were spent with Washington, playing in a combined 32 games, including a playoff game, with 10 starts. He appeared in all 17 games, regular season and playoffs, for the team during the 2020 season.

The New York Giants signed Martin on Sept. 21, 2021, after he had ended up on the Commanders' practice squad. He played seven games, including one start, with the Giants before being waived the following May.

Martin initially signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, but was released on Aug. 23. The next day, he returned to Washington, where he played six games, almost exclusively on special teams.

According to Pro Football Reference, Martin has played 760 offensive snaps and 128 special-teams snaps.

On Twitter: @ceasterlingABJ

A part of the Wes Martin signing that I haven't noticed being mentioned on the boards here is that Callahan was still with Washington when Martin was drafted. There's some first hand experience between the two, so if Callahan wanted him, I'll trust he knows what he's doing.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 07:20 PM
The Lamar statement is reminiscent of the Baker thanks to the Cleveland fans.

Money talks. And I guess until he is traded the door will remain open to a deal.

However, it sure does not sound like the Ravens are not prepared to pay Lamar what he expects to be paid.

IMO the Ravens will begin a process to trade him.

I am not certain with the non exclusive tag how they would have to do it. My guess is sign him and then put him up for bids.

Lamar IMO will not play for them under the tag.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 07:25 PM
It would be a good day to get him out of the North.

I would say it will add at least one victory for the Browns maybe two.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 07:35 PM
Hey Bone, I have to ask you. Do you think with our new coaches and all the FA signings we should be getting at least a little excited about 2023 or because we're Browns fans and know better, we should just stay reserved and be quietly optimistic?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 08:32 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 08:41 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 09:54 PM
I am glad you asked that HD.

When it comes to the Browns it is a hard ask. We as fans are so front and center on every breath of news regarding our team.

I felt very strongly that free agency would tell the story. There were many questions related to the cap as to what could we do?

As I look today. I did not see that we would add so many players. I felt we would maybe get five or so guys.

We have added eleven and resigned five. And it is still expected that we will add more free agents. Then we have eight draft picks.

That is 19 new players at least. The number when all is said and done?

So let's begin with that. Then add the changes in the coordinators and coaches. So we are a much different team than 2022.

To answer your question we have to start with Deshaun Watson. I will state what I believe. Some will question or disagree.

What quarterback will we see in 2023? I firmly believe we will see the guy who is listed 6'3" 223 lbs and how he played 2018, 2019, and 2020.

He averaged 4,280 and threw for 68.6 completion percentage. That average is over 47 games. The six games last year IMO were more akin to exhibition games under the full spectrum of circumstances of 2022.

With that stated. The NFL is really tight. Teams are very close and there are loads of talent spread all around. The AFC has the premier quarterbacks.

Even at this early stage with the roster not final. I seriously believe we can compete with any team. Games are decided in fractions so I will not predict a record.

I think we should be optimistic and not be reserved.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 10:46 PM
I'm inclined to agree with what you stated. I don't have a crystal ball but if I had to bet I would say we are going to see the DW of a few years ago or at least a reasonable facsimile. That, along with our new WR group, a rebuilt D and better coaching staff to me equates to a very competitive team. Whatever team stays the healthiest could determine who comes out on top in the AFC.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 10:54 PM
So many factors come into play over a season.

Injuries are random and unpredictable other than they will happen.

So many games are so close a play or two either way.

We have made changes. We should become a more consistent offense. Jim Schwartz will field a better defense.

So fingers crossed.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/27/23 11:02 PM
Exactly and if a couple of those plays went our way in a few of those games last season our record would have been 10-7 and we would have made the playoffs. That's hard to fathom considering how bad our run D was along with the defensive backfield issues.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 12:30 AM
[

On Twitter: @ceasterlingABJ[/quote]

A part of the Wes Martin signing that I haven't noticed being mentioned on the boards here is that Callahan was still with Washington when Martin was drafted. There's some first hand experience between the two, so if Callahan wanted him, I'll trust he knows what he's doing.[/quote]

Nice catch, bull. You can bet Callahan put in his two cents about Wes.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 12:54 AM
Yes,

Callahan's unfinished business ... plus Martin can fill the role of Froholdt who got paid to go elsewhere.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 11:30 AM

This is a real good signing for the Bengals, IMO. I think, easily, a healthy Irv Smith is a better option than their former TE, Hayden Hurst.

Another legitimate weapon for Cincinnati. Ugh.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 03:25 PM

Makes no sense for the Browns allow their best back up OG to be poached by the Cardinals and now the Browns are forced to sort through the "leftovers" in an effort to fill the void.

BTW, the Cardinals thank Andrew Berry for allowing them to poach the Browns 'best backup OG' who is projected to become "a starter" for the Cards.

Let that sink in for a bit...

...Now Berry is searching for someone to fill the void "he created" when he failed to resign HF.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 05:53 PM
Damn media for running that conspiring against Froholdt. I can't believe Berry was flimflammed into believing their reports. He was hoodwinked! Bamboozled!

Edit: I forgot a couple more: He was lead up the garden path! Snookered! Goldbricked! (yes, for these extras I'm using the dictionary for synonyms)
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 06:00 PM
Imagine being so biased against someone in the FO that you're left criticizing him for not filling a "void" in a backup OL who didn't even play that well. But he's now "projected" starter on a inferior, if not terrible, line in ARZ.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 07:50 PM
Agreed.

If Callahan had wanted to keep that guy we would have likely found a way to do so. Was there any report that we were interested in resigning him?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 08:07 PM
You had me at bamboozled.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 08:36 PM
Bamboozled is one of my favorite words.

Memphis - definitely agree with you.

Mac:
"Makes no sense for the Browns allow their best back up OG to be poached by the Cardinals and now the Browns are forced to sort through the "leftovers" in an effort to fill the void.

BTW, the Cardinals thank Andrew Berry for allowing them to poach the Browns 'best backup OG' who is projected to become "a starter" for the Cards."

Other way to look at it: what you are saying is Berry did an excellent job of keeping/re-signing two great guards and signing last year/retaining a good center. This means we didn't have to overpay for Froholt. Because of this, AZ is using our leftovers as a starter b/c we have depth and they do not. This gives us the option to save a little bit of money and bring in another option (like Wes) and also keep developing a few of our other younger lineman.

Got it thumbsup
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Makes no sense for the Browns allow their best back up OG to be poached by the Cardinals and now the Browns are forced to sort through the "leftovers" in an effort to fill the void.

BTW, the Cardinals thank Andrew Berry for allowing them to poach the Browns 'best backup OG' who is projected to become "a starter" for the Cards.

Let that sink in for a bit...

...Now Berry is searching for someone to fill the void "he created" when he failed to resign HF.

Fact!

Froholdt was offered double of what he made with us to go and play for the Cardinals.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 11:17 PM
The Cards GM and coaching staff view Froholdt as a potential starter and at the least, quality depth...

The Browns GM viewed Froholdt as an unneeded backup...

How can this be..? Someone is not very good at judging Offensive Line talent..
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 11:26 PM
I agree. The Cardinals aren’t very good.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 11:26 PM
rofl
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/28/23 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by mac
The Cards GM and coaching staff view Froholdt as a potential starter and at the least, quality depth...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the team that isn't very good at judging OL talent is likely the one ranked 31st here:
link

We have good starters at all 3 interior OL positions.

Arizona's starter last year at center has retired and only their LT from last year is/was still under contract

One of the bullet points on the "guardrails" sheet was "Don't Pay for Depth." Froholdt would have been depth for us. Arizona needs new starters everywhere-- below average is better than what they had when free agency started.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 10:53 AM
Must be that knucklehead Callahan.

I mean what the hell does he know about offensive line play?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 11:15 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 12:32 PM
I was hoping we would sign Campbell on a 1-year contract.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 04:26 PM
Me too. He still has some gas left in the tank and would have been a good addition. But either he wanted too much money or simply wasn't a part of the plan.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 04:42 PM
There was also a conversation w/Atlanta's owner that seemingly meant a lot to Campbell.

Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by mac

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the team that isn't very good at judging OL talent is likely the one ranked 31st here:
link

Yes we do..and what happens when one of our 3 interior OL is injured...like last year? Will the Browns be able to call on a backup who has experience running the Browns offensive system?

...Maybe it's just me, it just seems like A GOOD IDEA to have an experienced backup filling in should one of our outstanding lineman be injured...like last season..!

Arizona's starter last year at center has retired and only their LT from last year is/was still under contract

Bull...yes, the Cards had a need for good OLine talent and when the Browns judged Froholdt as nothing more than an UNNEEDED BACKUP..the Cards took advantage of the opportunity to add a potential starter to their roster...but the Cards snatched him up, despite the Browns LOW OPINION of Froholdt.

Some might believe that the Cards were just desperate and had no idea what they were doing by signing HF..but the truth is, the Cards had an advantage over the rest of the teams looking to add OLine talent..the Cards had a scout who was able to watch HF every day of the 2022 season..! The Cards added a new OC who happened to be the Browns QB coach in 2022..Cardinals offensive coordinator Drew Petzing was quarterbacks coach for the Browns last season..and Petzing had the opportunity to watch Froholdt every day in practice as well as each game that HF played in.

Not only did the Cards have a new OC who had the opportunity to watch and scout Froholdt during the 2022 season, the Cards new GM, Monti Ossenfort was the Director of College Scouting for the Patriots in 2019, the year that the Patriots drafted Froholdt in the 4th round (pick#118 of the 2019 draft). It is the Cards judgement that Froholdt is a potential starter.

The only team with more information on Froholdt was the Browns GM Andrew Berry, who treated Froholdt and nothing more than AN UNNEEDED BACKUP...

...HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN..?

One of the bullet points on the "guardrails" sheet was "Don't Pay for Depth." Froholdt would have been depth for us.

Bull...at this very moment the Browns front office is searching for depth at WR, DT, DE, TE, DB and LB and they are willing to OVERPAY for backup talent if necessary. THE GUARDRAILS only apply to Andrew Berry when he wants fall back on that lame excuse for not knowing how to evaluate talent...ESPECIALLY OFFENSIVE LINE TALENT..!

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 05:43 PM
In what way during these off season FA signings have you seen the Browns willingness to "OVERPAY for backup talent"? I mean it's nice to just throw out vomit so someone has to clean it up but I haven't seen anything that even resembles what you posted.

In fact the very example you're trying to use, Froholdt, would indicate just the opposite. He was signed to a 2 year, $4,600,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including a $1,100,000 signing bonus, $2,110,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,300,000. Suggesting what you are is actually promoting the very thing you accuse this FO of doing. Overpaying for a backup. Which is what they refused to do with Froholdt.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/29/23 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

link

Yes we do..and what happens when one of our 3 interior OL is injured...like last year? Will the Browns be able to call on a backup who has experience running the Browns offensive system?

(1)...Maybe it's just me, it just seems like A GOOD IDEA to have an experienced backup filling in should one of our outstanding lineman be injured...like last season..!

(2)Bull...yes, the Cards had a need for good OLine talent and when the Browns judged Froholdt as nothing more than an UNNEEDED BACKUP..the Cards took advantage of the opportunity to add a potential starter to their roster...but the Cards snatched him up, despite the Browns LOW OPINION of Froholdt.

Some might believe that the Cards were just desperate and had no idea what they were doing by signing HF..but the truth is, the Cards had an advantage over the rest of the teams looking to add OLine talent..the Cards had a scout who was able to watch HF every day of the 2022 season..! The Cards added a new OC who happened to be the Browns QB coach in 2022..Cardinals offensive coordinator Drew Petzing was quarterbacks coach for the Browns last season..and Petzing had the opportunity to watch Froholdt every day in practice as well as each game that HF played in.

Not only did the Cards have a new OC who had the opportunity to watch and scout Froholdt during the 2022 season, the Cards new GM, Monti Ossenfort was the Director of College Scouting for the Patriots in 2019, the year that the Patriots drafted Froholdt in the 4th round (pick#118 of the 2019 draft). It is the Cards judgement that Froholdt is a potential starter.

The only team with more information on Froholdt was the Browns GM Andrew Berry, who treated Froholdt and nothing more than AN UNNEEDED BACKUP...

...HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN..?

One of the bullet points on the "guardrails" sheet was "Don't Pay for Depth." Froholdt would have been depth for us.

(3)Bull...at this very moment the Browns front office is searching for depth at WR, DT, DE, TE, DB and LB and they are willing to OVERPAY for backup talent if necessary. THE GUARDRAILS only apply to Andrew Berry when he wants fall back on that lame excuse for not knowing how to evaluate talent...ESPECIALLY OFFENSIVE LINE TALENT..!

1. We have Harris backing up Pocic at C. We have Deaton and Forbes backing up our Gs. We're bringing in Wes Martin as well. If they all get hurt, we're screwed, but, if you have to play the backups backups, that's generally the case.

2. Froholdt ended up playing 61 offensive snaps for New England and was promptly cut 3 weeks later after seeing no further offensive snaps. He played 0 regular season snaps in NE while Ossenfort was there. Monti had moved on to the Titans after 2019 which Hjalte missed with a shoulder injury.

The Cards not only had a need for "good OLine talent." They had a need for any OL, period. Froholdt didn't make PFFs Interior OL FA rankings.

Are you sure the Cardinals "jumped on" Froholdt? Or did other OL just not want to come play for a defensive HC with a first time OC, an inexperienced OL coach, and an immature QB? There's also the fact that Arizona got Fs in all categories of the recent player report card except for strength and training staffs.

Maybe Froholdt took pity on Petzing. Or maybe he just took advantage of their desperation and willingness to pay him more than any other team

3. "Depth" at other positions sees the field a lot more than OL. If starting OL are healthy, they are staying on the field. You might have formations with extra OL (usually OTs), but you don't swap starters out in sub-packages. Sub-packages make "depth" at other positions effectively starters in their packages. Who do you think they overpaid?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/30/23 12:03 AM
Back to the topic.

Posted By: The Collector Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/30/23 05:48 AM

Thought this was interesting... for the Lamar saga.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/30/23 01:24 PM
Browns have 13th-best Super Bowl odds after free agency

Cory Kinnan
March 29, 2023 2:30 pm ET

The Cleveland Browns took to NFL free agency with efficiency, filling massive voids on their roster. From defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson to landing wide receiver Elijah Moore in a trade with the New York Jets, the Browns enter 2023 with a better outlook than they did a year ago. And according to Tipico Sportsbook, they now sit with the 13th-best odds to win the Super Bowl, sitting at +3500.

For any of this to take place, the Browns will need quarterback Deshaun Watson to return to form. However, as the 2023 NFL Draft nears, they certainly did an excellent job adding talent at key positions to their roster.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/30/23 10:08 PM
J/c

I’m glad Calais Campbell is out of the AFC N at least
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 01:28 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 01:33 PM
This is probably more than we wanted to pay.

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 06:33 PM
where has clowney signed?
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 09:03 PM
1. We have Harris backing up Pocic at C. We have Deaton and Forbes backing up our Gs. We're bringing in Wes Martin as well. If they all get hurt, we're screwed, but, if you have to play the backups backups, that's generally the case.

Bull...we might not want to laugh at the possibility that of all 3 backups being injured...Harris and Deaton are coming off knee injury and Wes Martin, a frequent waiver wire player for 4 teams since 2019.

2. Froholdt ended up playing 61 offensive snaps for New England and was promptly cut 3 weeks later after seeing no further offensive snaps. He played 0 regular season snaps in NE while Ossenfort was there. Monti had moved on to the Titans after 2019 which Hjalte missed with a shoulder injury.

Rookie Froholdt was placed on IR by the Patriots after he injured a shoulder in the 4th pre-season game of the 2019 season. Monti Ossenfort was the Patriots director of college scouting and scouted Froholdt for the Patriots. Ossenfort who was a QB in college and since he scouted Froholdt for the Patriots, both he and Petzing, the Cardinals new OC as of Feb. 2023 had enough background on HF to know when jump on a potential starter who was being given away by the Browns.

One more fact..HF played 592 snaps for the Browns last season...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 10:04 PM
He hasn't.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 10:54 PM
And he won’t until late in the preseason
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 03/31/23 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Bull...we might not want to laugh at the possibility that of all 3 backups being injured...Harris and Deaton are coming off knee injury and Wes Martin, a frequent waiver wire player for 4 teams since 2019.

Rookie Froholdt was placed on IR by the Patriots after he injured a shoulder in the 4th pre-season game of the 2019 season. Monti Ossenfort was the Patriots director of college scouting and scouted Froholdt for the Patriots. Ossenfort who was a QB in college and since he scouted Froholdt for the Patriots, both he and Petzing, the Cardinals new OC as of Feb. 2023 had enough background on HF to know when jump on a potential starter who was being given away by the Browns.

One more fact..HF played 592 snaps for the Browns last season...

Yes, multiple injuries can happen. However, with 53 man rosters you can't carry 5 backups at every position. You can't even carry 2. 22 × 3=66 (11 starters on O and D gives 22, 1 starter and 2 backups gives 3), and that's not even including specialists. You knock Wes Martin as a frequent waiver wire player, but since both were drafted in 2019, Martin has started 11 games to Froholdt's 6. Hjalte's been waived, too, including by the Browns in 2021.

Froholdt has been a bottom of the roster player that good teams look to replace with cheaper alternatives. The Cardinals are a bad team that lacked alternatives. Apparently people in the NFL stay attached to their draft crushes despite their NFL performance just like fans do.

...FH played more than 592 snaps for us last year. Those were just the offensive. He's credited with 71 special teams snaps as well.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/01/23 01:29 AM
I wasn't following along, but, I saw that 3 time @uoted paragraph, and umm,
Harris, Forbes, and Deaton, that is 3 players that can't be counted on. Between the 3 of them there is no player imo.
Wouldn't be a problem if all 3 were gone off the roster.
Who continually picks and sticks with options that are not reliable for anything except being grosly overmatched on a snap by snap basis.
That,
and going with the DL, between Elliot, and the guy worse than Elliott who got regular season play last year iirc, and then someone like A Schwartz or the linebackers.

The only thing the Browns front office does consistently is REACH,
and then
they keep and play the REACHS while they bust and get overmatched. It's loopy
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/01/23 06:51 AM

Fools Gold. There should be laws against stealing from teams like that. Can't wait to see the money.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/01/23 12:28 PM
I actually think a free lancer like Odell could work with a maverick like Rodgers. How healthy he stays and how many games he plays is another matter. Also don't think learning the play book and knowing where to line up will be an issue, that was just a CLE thing.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/01/23 03:05 PM
It could also have to do with reports saying that Rodgers requested the Jets sign OBJ.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 01:10 PM
It could also have to do with reports saying that Rodgers requested the Jets sign OBJ.
that sounds so much like hearsay I'd ask for a link, but internet search has a bunch of links some by expn.
And only one response by Rogers calling it nonsense on march fourteenth.

Kind of reminds me of a movie called "coming to America" wherein the dad announced a wedding that the bride, his daughter had not agreed to.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 03:03 PM
That's why I said "reports saying" and didn't present it as a fact. Pay attention.
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 03:20 PM
I don't understand all this Froholt talk. The kid came here and was our FB only after injuries hit our OL especially Center, that is when he joined the OL. We are talking about our 3rd string Center...smh
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by eotab
I don't understand all this Froholt talk. The kid came here and was our FB only after injuries hit our OL especially Center, that is when he joined the OL. We are talking about our 3rd string Center...smh

He was about to turn it around and be a perennial pro-bowler.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by FrankZ

He was about to turn it around and be a perennial pro-bowler.

Nope...slot WR. Frohodt was our 4th C...Pocic...Harris...Dunn...last guy in line.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 06:43 PM

There's really only one person that's making an issue of dumping him.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 08:00 PM

Appreciating good OLine and DLine play is not a strength of the Browns GM.

The personnel Berry drafted and added on the defensive side were a weak link of the Browns defense last season...with the addition of Jim Schwartz as the Browns defensive coordinator I look for improvement. Hopefully Berry will take advantage of DC Jim Schwartz's experience and knowledge to improve his own ability to judge football talent...especially on the interior Dlineman and LBs.

No, "Tackles are not just Tackles"...each one is different..!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/02/23 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Appreciating good OLine and DLine play is not a strength of the Browns GM.

The personnel Berry drafted and added on the defensive side were a weak link of the Browns defense last season...with the addition of Jim Schwartz as the Browns defensive coordinator I look for improvement. Hopefully Berry will take advantage of DC Jim Schwartz's experience and knowledge to improve his own ability to judge football talent...especially on the interior Dlineman and LBs.

No, "Tackles are not just Tackles"...each one is different..!

Is that why we have one of the highest paid OL in the League? 🤔
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/03/23 03:16 PM
I thought this guy played pretty well for us. He was an upgrade in pass defense over any of our other LBers.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/03/23 05:31 PM
Report: Browns not pursuing free agent safety Ryan Neal at this time

Cory Kinnan
April 1, 2023 2:31 pm ET

Yesterday, the Seattle Seahawks revoked their tender on safety Ryan Neal, putting him on the market for NFL free agency. And while the Cleveland Browns are looking for a third safety in DIME looks, The OBR’s Brad Stainbrook is reporting they are currently not testing the waters with Neal at this point.

They have done an efficient job to plug holes on their roster throughout this free agency period. However, with the 2023 NFL Draft approaching, there are still some voids left to fill. The one left by the underperforming Ronnie Harrison is one of them. Look for safety to be addressed in the next four weeks, either in free agency or the draft.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/03/23 08:52 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/04/23 02:00 PM
Browns: 5 Under-the-radar targets on the market in NFL free agency

Cory Kinnan
April 4, 2023 9:04 am ET

While the Cleveland Browns have already made quite a dent in their team needs throughout the first month of NFL free agency, there are still talented players on the roster. With the 2023 NFL Draft just three weeks away, they get an opportunity to add young talent there as well. However, there are still sleepers on the market in free agency for the Browns to consider.

Here are five names of players who may not be at the top of wishlists, but can come in and compete for depth spots on the roster, or even sneak into a starting role if they find their way to Cleveland.

RB Jerick McKinnon

Running back Kareem Hunt is still on the market as well, but the bridge between the Browns and him may be all but burned after his trade request last summer. Regardless, the Browns could benefit most from a change-of-pace back who can make plays in the passing game.

Winning a Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs this past season, Jerick McKinnon played a role for the team both on the ground and through the air as they found ways to get him the ball in space. He can handle gadget snaps on jet sweeps, screens, and quick hitters.

The Browns would ask him to take on a similar role, one that does not command many touches. And for an offense that wants to get more explosive through the air, McKinnon may just be the answer as a gadget and change-of-pace back.

DT A'Shawn Robinson

Does A’Shawn Robinson count as an under-the-radar name?

Maybe not, but Robinson would come in and start at one-tech for the Browns from day one next to Dalvin Tomlinson if he joined the team. The Browns are visiting with veteran nose tackle Al Woods this week, but Robinson is another name that could fill a similar role if they do not land the former Seattle Seahawk.

He can anchor doubles and allow his linebackers to clean up behind him. This has been desperately needed in Cleveland for a team that ranked dead last against the run. Robinson would be a great signing this late into free agency.

EDGE Ben Banogu

The Browns landed Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, a signing that could go down as one of general manager Andrew Berry’s best in his tenure, to play opposite Myles Garrett in 2023. However, they do not have a rotational pass rush specialist on their roster on their bench.

Second-year player Alex Wright will likely take over as the rotational big end, but outside of him the roster only holds seventh-rounder Isaiah Thomas and practice squad end Sam Kamara. They certainly could draft a specialist, like Wisconsin’s Nick Herbig, or they could take a bigger swing on one in free agency on Leonard Floyd or Robert Quinn.

However, if they take a smaller swing on an ultra-athletic player who never figured it out with his first team, Ben Banogu could be their guy. After a solid rookie season, racking up 17 pressures on 272 snaps, Banogu quickly fell out of favor due to injuries and a change in defensive coordinator in Indianapolis.

For the cost of a one-year deal at a minimal cost, Banogu is worth the swing.

Browns NFL free agency
S Ryan Neal

With Ronnie Harrison’s time in Cleveland ending, the Browns are still looking for a third safety to come on the field in DIME looks. And after the Seahawks revoked his tender, Ryan Neal is now an unrestricted free agent worth taking a look at.

A year ago in Seattle, Neal racked up a ton of defensive snaps, aligning all over the field. He played over 400 snaps in the box, 128 snaps in the slot or outside, and another 236 snaps over the top of the defense. The 6-foot-3 and 200-pound safety is also coming off of a career year in Seattle.

With Juan Thornhill and Grant Delpit patrolling the deep part of the field, new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz could get creative with how to deploy Neal in sub-packages and DIME looks.

S/NB Joshua Kalu

Nickel cornerback has turned into a full-time starting job at the NFL level as opposing offenses are throwing speed on the field, and a ton of it. With Greg Newsome II looking to play outside only in 2023, the Browns currently do not have a nickel cornerback on their roster.

There is one still on the market that Schwartz was close to a year ago with the Tennessee Titans in Joshua Kalu. While listed as a safety, Kalu played a massive 207 snaps in the slot, starting five games there full-time for the Titans in 2022. And according to PFF (understanding that player grades are volatile-at-best), those were some of Kalu’s best games of the season.

He finished the season with 24 solo tackles, a tackle for loss, five passes defended, an interception, and a forced fumble. Versatile, productive, and at a position of need, Kalu’s familiarity with Schwartz may just be a bonus as well.

Playing in the nickel, coming on the field in DIME looks and other sub-packages, and contributing over 200 snaps on special teams a year ago, Kalu would make an immediate impact on this football team.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/04/23 06:03 PM
AShawn Robinson would be a really good signing if they choose to go that way. I believe he played with Dalvin Thomlinson in college and has some chemistry with him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/08/23 08:42 PM
As long as he is healthy, I think it would be best for OBJ to go to KC. I think going to NY w/Rodgers and his on again--off again retirement talks is a risky move considering Zack Wilson is the backup.

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/09/23 10:46 PM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/09/23 11:04 PM
Gotta spend that money they had earmarked for Lamar somewhere, I guess....
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/09/23 11:05 PM
lolz

15 million too much.

I'd bet $100 OBJ is injured by week 6 and on IR by week 16.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 12:53 AM
OBJ to the Ravens. Who is going to throw him the ball.
There are a lot of options out there.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 12:57 AM
This guy.

Posted By: BADdog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 02:42 AM
im betting on neither of them making it thru a full year
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 02:48 AM
LMAO, OBJ, to the Ravens for 18 million? Fools-gold strikes again! Two million a catch, wow, just wow.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 04:40 AM
His cap hit is 15 mill guaranteed right? Crazy.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 12:35 PM
Odell should be smiling he just ripped off the Ravens.

$15m so almost a $1 per game with incentives.

In nine seasons he played a full season twice.

In fact if Lamar plays for the Ravens IMO I really doubt that they will fit well. Lamar is not Aaron Rodgers.

Lamar is not the kind of qb to find guys and hit them in small windows of being open.

I really do not see Odell as a fit with the Ravens.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 12:51 PM
Yeah, this feels way too much, IMO. But perhaps this is what they were willing to pay in the hopes it's settles tensions with Lamar. The extra millions was the price to pay in order to lock him up?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 01:20 PM
Ravens in desperation mode and throwing Hail Mary’s. Can’t say I have ever seen them act out of desperation before.

Todd Monken and OBJ reunite!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 01:35 PM
Todd Monken and OBJ reunite!

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 02:03 PM
Beware of the Force!

Whoo hoo
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 03:32 PM
LMAO, OBJ, to the Ravens for 18 million? Fools-gold strikes again! Two million a catch, wow, just wow.

First people here said he would never get anything close to what he was asking for. Now that he has they are switching strategies. Interesting.....
Posted By: BADdog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 05:03 PM
Well he is not worth it
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/10/23 09:41 PM
I'm afraid it was a good move for the rats to get OBJ, because somehow I keep seeing a new @b there, now I'm not sure if it is, dude who could go #2 overall Stroud, or if it is the Bears @b who winds up there, or even Cam Newton, or the dude who played last year in New England, but, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Ravens, spit, wind up with an exciting new @uarterback to throw to OBJ, who is Not Lamar Jackson or Tyler Huntley.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 01:41 AM
OBJ will probably have 600 yards and 5 TDs all year of which half will come against the Browns.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 02:09 AM
Odell should be smiling he just ripped off the Ravens.

$15m so almost a $1 per game with incentives.

In nine seasons he played a full season twice.

In fact if Lamar plays for the Ravens IMO I really doubt that they will fit well. Lamar is not Aaron Rodgers.

Lamar is not the kind of qb to find guys and hit them in small windows of being open.

I really do not see Odell as a fit with the Ravens.

What Lamar? Odell is the new WR! They don't need a franchise QB. Their backup is better than Baker according to most... Odell will thrive there I'm sure. And I'm anxious to see him fail.
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 02:21 AM
I heard that OBJ signed with the Ravens because he was recruited there by Lamar and that OBJ signed with the understanding that Lamar would be the Ravens Qb.

How much of that is true? I don't know. But I think it would be awesome if Lamar convinced OBJ to sign with the Ravens so that he would take up a bunch of cap space allowing another team to structure a contract in a way that the Ravens could no longer match.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by DaveyD
OBJ will probably have 600 yards and 5 TDs all year of which half will come against the Browns.

Or possibly all of which will come in one game against us. He'll do nothing the rest of the season. What could be more Browns?
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 11:39 AM
Lamar will be playing, it may be his last year, under the TAG, but he will be playing in Baltimore, and OBJ knew that as Lamar probably told him that.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 11:46 AM
OBJ finally has a QB that can go off script when the
Play breaks down and still make a throw downfield.
Beckham will alter his routes if the QB is flushed out
Of pocket. Baker could never improv as a QB.
If the exact play dialed up didn't work, Baker was dead
In the water.
OBJ and Lamar will make the Ravens a playoff viable
Team again. Not good enough for a SB but a playoff team.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Baker could never improv as a QB.
Dont know what you were watching his first year
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 06:47 PM
NFL free agency: 6 defensive ends still available for Browns to sign

Leonard Floyd, Yannick Ngakoue, Frank Clark lead the list of current edge free agents
By JaredMueller@JaredKMueller Apr 10, 2023, 5:10pm EDT 1 Comment / 1 New

The Cleveland Browns have been very active in free agency and have eight draft picks available in the upcoming NFL draft. Despite both of those things, GM Andrew Berry could be looking to add to the roster if things make sense.

Given the lack of inactivity around the league, outside of Odell Beckham Jr. signing, NFL free agency might be on a pause until teams finalize their draft boards. There is normally a push to sign remaining free agents shortly after the draft and rookie minicamps.

Cleveland gets a bump in salary cap on June 1st of around $10 million.

For the Browns, the defensive end position could be an area where they look to address. While Ogbonnia Okoronwko was an important signing to join Myles Garrett, second-year players Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas are the only depth at the position.

A quick look at the remaining free agents available at the position gives us six veterans that could come in and be a part of the rotation next year:

Frank Clark - The Cleveland area native has lost a step but played in 61% of Kansas City’s snaps last year and produced five sacks and eight tackles for loss.

Yannick Ngakoue - An undersized edge rusher, Ngakoue is a liability against the run but had 9.5 sacks last year and could be a force as a situational pass rusher with the Browns.

Bud Dupree - Dupree was overpaid leaving Pittsburgh and has struggled to stay healthy. His success came when attention was sent to other players in the past so playing with Garrett could help.

Leonard Floyd - Just 30 years old, Floyd has had over nine sacks each of the last three seasons and has played in 75% or more of his team’s snaps, without missing a game, the last five years. A lot of consistency from Floyd.

Markus Golden - The lesser known name on the list, Golden had just 2.5 sacks last year after 11 the year before but continues to get pressure on the quarterback with 20 QB hits in 2022.

Melvin Ingram - 34 years old, Ingram came into the league in 2012 and continue to help his teams as a pass rusher, primarily. Playing in under 45% of Miami’s snaps last year, Ingram had six sacks, seven tackles for loss and 10 QB hits.

The edge rusher position has a variety of players that could help a number of teams next year outside of those six names including Justin Houston, Kyle Van Noy and others. Jadeveon Clowney also remains a free agent but a return to the Browns would shock just about everyone including Clowney and the team.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...k-ngakoue-leonard-floyd-jadeveon-clowney
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/11/23 06:49 PM
NFL free agency: 5 defensive tackles still available for Browns to sign

Al Woods recently visited but didn’t sign, four other DTs available in free agency
By JaredMueller@JaredKMueller Apr 11, 2023, 9:32am EDT 1 Comment / 1 New

The busy season in the NFL has slowed down tremendously. While a random signing will pop up here and there, NFL free agency hits mostly a pause a couple of weeks before the start of the NFL draft. Few rumors will be circulating, few visits will be made by veterans and all the focus will be on the incoming rookies.

That pause also allows us to reset the market in free agency. Who is still available and how might they fit the Cleveland Browns?

Yesterday we looked at defensive ends still available in NFL free agency. Today we move inside to defensive tackles.

It can get slightly complicated talking about defensive tackles because there are really two different positions on the inside. Much like free safety and strong safety, defensive tackle could mean a penetrating 3-technique or a lane-clogging nose tackle.

Here are five players still available in free agency on the interior of the defensive line with a majority more nose tackles than 3-technique players at this point in their careers:

Al Woods - We know that Woods visited with the Browns last week but left without a contract. Nearing the end of his career, Woods is a stout run defender but will provide very little on passing downs. He hasn’t played more than 47% of his team’s snaps since 2017 when his career high was 52.6%.

A’Shawn Robinson - Another nose tackle, Robinson has had knee issues that could impact his availability. He hasn’t played more than 46% of his team’s snaps since 2017 when his career high was 67.6%. (Yes very similar to Woods.) Robinson was one of the original players in our pre-agency mock offseason along with three players Cleveland did sign.

Akiem Hicks - Hicks is a huge player at 6’5” and over 320 pounds. Last year with Tampa Bay, Hicks had a falloff in play. He played in just 11 games with one sack, two tackles for loss and four QB hits. The year prior, in just nine games, he had 3.5 sacks, five tackles for loss and nine hits on the quarterback.

Matt Ioannidis - After a few nose tackles, Ioannidis a 3-technique player under 300 pounds on the list. While he has never matched his 8.5 sack total from 2019, he has been able to get pressure with 20 combined QB hits the last two seasons. Last year with Carolina, Pro Football Focus gave him a good overall grade (66.4) and an even better pass rush grade (69.1).

Poona Ford - Ford will be just 28 this year making it surprising that he is still on the free agent list. The primary reason is likely his height. At just 5’11”, Ford doesn’t fit anyone’s prototype which is part of the reason he was undrafted. Ford has been productive with multiple sacks each of the last three seasons, playing in over 55% of his team’s snaps those years while using his low center of gravity to create leverage points.

The Browns have already added three players to the interior of their defensive line this offseason. Perhaps if they strike out in the NFL draft, signing one of these five would materialize. The visit with Woods is proof that they are not yet satisfied with the group that they have.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...W5WactweothXm3jt47Jh9bLIfqn8gdLgQav7pge8
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/12/23 03:39 PM
At this point, I wouldn't expect us to sign any more new names, unless they come dirt cheap, until after June 1st. Clowney was designated as a post-June 1 release, so we will free up something like almost $2.8 million at that time (which means that he will still be counting against our Cap next year, too).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 01:25 AM
j/c:

Baker a $4 million base. OBJ w/a $15 base. The Fabulous Baker Boys continue to deny reality.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 04:44 AM
We'll see how it pans out. I can't wait. Want to put a small bet on Baker? If he is the starter all season, I bet he will take them into the playoffs. Under those conditions, he must start all season and then we bet on if he gets them into the playoffs; straight bet I say he does, you say he doesn't, loser donates $100 to Purp for DT. With your money and cockiness, this should be an easy yes.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 12:21 PM
Technically.....

Beckham's 'base' is $1.165M
Mayfield's 'base' is $1.125M

It's the guaranteed money and how it's amortized over the next handful of years along with any bonus. Beckham will cost the Ravens $11M in dead cap in 2024 based on this 1- year contract and in additional $2.7M annually through 2027.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/odell-beckham-jr-14421/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/baker-mayfield-25096/
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
At this point, I wouldn't expect us to sign any more new names, unless they come dirt cheap, until after June 1st. Clowney was designated as a post-June 1 release, so we will free up something like almost $2.8 million at that time (which means that he will still be counting against our Cap next year, too).

Johnson also a June 1 cut. I forget the cap room from that, but larger than Clowney. 10M or so?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Johnson also a June 1 cut. I forget the cap room from that, but larger than Clowney. 10M or so?

I wonder when that money becomes available is when they sign a guy like DPJ to an extension.....maybe front load some of the guaranteed money with the available cap money since most major FA signings and extension will be pretty much over? Not sure this is the Berry way of doing things, but just a thought.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 03:47 PM
j/c:

Baker a $4 million base. OBJ w/a $15 base. The Fabulous Baker Boys continue to deny reality.

And someone still can't get Baker off of their brain. It's obvious who is obsessed with Baker. It's the guy who can't seem to keep his name out of his mouth.

rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 05:30 PM
j/c:

And someone still can't get Baker off of their brain. It's obvious who is obsessed with Baker. It's the guy who can't seem to keep his name out of his mouth.

rofl
Coming from the guy who had Sashi Brown in his signature for two years.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/13/23 05:32 PM
And I have someone elses name in my signature now.

Quick question. Was Sahi's name in my sig. for two years after he left the Browns?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/14/23 01:23 PM
Mueller forgot to mention the best of them all ... Shelby Harris.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/14/23 02:43 PM
j/c:

I wonder if Jarvis Landry has Baltimore in his sights now that the BFF, OBJ, is there? He is still looking for a job.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/16/23 11:43 PM
We'll see how it pans out. I can't wait. Want to put a small bet on Baker? If he is the starter all season, I bet he will take them into the playoffs. Under those conditions, he must start all season and then we bet on if he gets them into the playoffs; straight bet I say he does, you say he doesn't, loser donates $100 to Purp for DT. With your money and cockiness, this should be an easy yes.

Neither of us pay if he misses games due to injury. But, if he get benched again, you lose. Let me know.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/17/23 01:10 AM
Do not follow them close enough to know about the coaching, system, or team to take that bet. My offer stands. Take it or leave it.

For all I know, they will draft a QB too, and I'm already taking the most significant risk. Just put your money where your mouth is.

And if neither of us wins, oh well.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/17/23 12:49 PM
Baker's situation in Tampa is an unknown. Tampa is my second team, since I'm in south Florida.

The OC Leftwych was let go, so it's a new OC, Dave Canales, Seattles QB Coach is the NEW OC. He did wonders with Geno Smith, but he was not the OC.

Bowles I think is too conservative and indecisive on game day, and sometimes panics instead of maintaining the game plan. He got bailed out a lot by Brady last year, and I'm convinced many games Brady just took things over from Leftwych.

How will baker do there? That's tough, Good receives and TE's, but the running game is suspect and was much of their problem last year IMO, forcing Tom to have to throw more with D's playing pass more.
The Oline was quite disheveled last year as well. Both guards from previous year were gone, and then C Ryan Jenson got injured in training camp and was out all year, as well as his replacement in week 4 preseason. Replacement LG also saw injury in preseason and was out for some time. And it just was shuffling around all year after that.

Jensen is back and the others have some game time now, so it should be improved. Evans is always a threat, he bailed Manziel out so much back in Texas and will be an asset for Baker.

TE Otton really showed promise last year.

I think the D lost a couple steps last year, but were still good. Devin White wanted to be traded isn't good. Barrett should be ready by start of the season, so the D should be decent. Probably better than most of the D's Baker played with in Cleveland.

So, IMO, they're is an opportunity for Baker to do well here, some things definitely have to fall in place though.

NFC South is not a tough division to win, but Carr in NO makes it a little more difficult, and Atlanta with Ridder is an unknown as well as Carolina who most likely are drafting a new QB.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/18/23 03:08 PM
Baker Mayfield had a small window where he shined.
Now it's closed. 31 teams passed him as a backup this year.
Not even proven HCs who have brilliant track records
Molding QBs like Reid , Daboll passed on Baker NoField
He is now fighting for a QB spot with Kyle Trask who
Is a bad pre season away from playing with the Seattle SeaDragons
Next year. Mayfield fooled alot of Browns fans.
Any team that brings on Baker is in tank mode.not win mode.
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/19/23 01:02 PM
I wonder if Hunt would be a good fit with Tampa? It would be his last chance to revive his career.

Vers thanks for having a convo about Baker without just slamming him.

stripper you got a real problem your hatred towards a player is just off the charts.

I hope he gets a chance to play and first he has to grow his confidence again. If so he will become and excellent QB and will win games.

jmho
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/19/23 01:11 PM
I wonder if Hunt would be a good fit with Tampa? It would be his last chance to revive his career.

Vers thanks for having a convo about Baker without just slamming him.

stripper you got a real problem your hatred towards a player is just off the charts.

I hope he gets a chance to play and first he has to grow his confidence again. If so he will become and excellent QB and will win games.

jmho

Hey Eo.

You were the first poster to respond to me when I first joined this place ages ago. We have had a lot of discussion, some in agreement, some in disagreement, but I love ya and hope all is well my friend.
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/19/23 01:31 PM
I wish we could have played some golf and drink some special wines. grin
Love ya too Peen, Brown fans are the best.
Doctors got me in the NFL... not for long bracket. I cant walk, drive my wife keeps me alive but all I do is exist. Working out hard every chance I get.

I'm going to go golfing one more time and force myself to play. I always said I want to die on the golf course or in bed after making love to my wife. naughtydevil Heart is very weak and I gasp for air after doing simple things even though I have Oxygen 24/7. Going to coach some youth football helping out some former players who are coaching their kids.
Take care of yourself looking forward to get in the playoffs and go far!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/19/23 01:43 PM
Yep. You will be able to do all of that. You better! You don't want me getting on your ass!

Seriously man...I appreciate the conversations. I look forward to more.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/19/23 11:50 PM
One of the most popular posters on the board man. There is a lot of love and good karma being sent your way I'm certain. I remember the last round of golf with my dad, so if you make it out there it'll be sure to be a very special event for everyone with you. Keep on keeping on man.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/20/23 05:01 PM
EO...I hit the 'like' button...then I questioned myself why I did that..?

While I like you as a Browns fan and love you as a fellow DawgTalker for all these years...there is not much for me to like about what you are dealing with, health-wise.

The 'like' is for you, a long time, fellow member of DawgTalker who has waited a long time for Browns success.

EO, you keep up the battle and don't stop fighting...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/20/23 05:05 PM
I am definitely praying for you tab.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/20/23 06:22 PM
Love and prayers, Eo. I don't golf, but whatever gives you what you need. No magic elf dust, my man, but keep fighting the best fight. I am pulling for you, along with these DT friends. One of my favorite poems comes to mind entitled "Invictus." You sound like it to me, and there is much in it to admire. Don't weaken, friend.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/20/23 06:39 PM
As others have said and as an echo of what I've previously posted, my prayers are with you. In the grand scheme of things there's nothing within my power but to support you, prayer for you and think of you having all the best wishes in mind for you. That much I can and will do. I hope you accomplish all of the things you desire.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/20/23 07:23 PM
Same goes for me, Tabber. Go out and kick butt.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/21/23 12:48 PM
On the lighter side…….my FA dream goes like this….

https://imgur.com/gallery/nBdz5nN
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/21/23 04:23 PM
Prayers up Tab
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 04/25/23 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
One of the most popular posters on the board man. There is a lot of love and good karma being sent your way I'm certain. I remember the last round of golf with my dad, so if you make it out there it'll be sure to be a very special event for everyone with you. Keep on keeping on man.

I'm trying so hard. My goal is September 7th as its my church tournament - Scramble so if I have to take off a hole or two so be it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/03/23 12:28 PM
This was one of the guys I had my eyes on for the Browns.

Hmmm.......tweet isn't showing up. Anyway, DT Poona Ford from Seattle was signed by the Bills.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/03/23 01:01 PM
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/03/23 01:32 PM
Jets are loading up. Another good team to now have to deal with in the AFC. We could have the best team in talent since the mid to late 80's and miss the playoffs. Just our luck.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 03:55 PM
Browns sign veteran safety Rodney McLeod

Cleveland brings a player familiar with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz’s defense to the roster.

The Cleveland Browns added some veteran depth to the defensive side of the ball on Thursday with the signing of safety Rodney McLeod.

An 11-year veteran, McLeod is familiar with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz from their time together with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2016 to 2021. Having played both strong and free safety in his career, McLeod will likely serve as the primary backup for starters Grant Delpit and Juan Thornhill.

McLeod entered the league in 2012 with the St. Louis Rams, where he spent four seasons before moving to the Eagles as a free agent in 2016. In six seasons with the Eagles, McLeod made 75 starts and had 11 interceptions, 34 passes defended and two sacks.

He also started five playoff games with Philadelphia, including all three in the Eagles’ Super Bowl-winning season of 2017, so he brings some valuable experience to a defensive secondary that is predominately filled with younger players.

McLeod spent last season with the Indianapolis Colts, playing all 17 games and making 15 starts, finishing with two interceptions, eight passes defended, and 96 tackles. While he only spent one season with the Colts, McLeod was named the team’s most-improved player by Pro Football Focus after improving his overall defensive grade by 15.3 points from his final season with the Eagles:

McLeod has always been a more-than-serviceable safety in the NFL, but his first season with the Colts, his 11th overall, wound up as his best ever in terms of PFF grade (80.1). He missed just 7.4% of the tackles he attempted, another career-best, and made a career-high 28 tackles resulting in a defensive stop.

All told, McLeod has played in 156 games, making 138 starts, and has 18 interceptions, 11 forced fumbles and 689 tackles.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...CfRkv2cVqo4cATcfzjh4J11j3uOg2KCEfkcY9IrI
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 05:21 PM
IMO, Schwartz and Berry are working together to acquire the talent Schwartz needs to improve the defensive performance this season....again, jmho
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 05:49 PM
Yeah I think you are correct. I guess what it addresses is some of the noise people were making about addressing the S position in the draft for me. Firstly, if you're going to invest 230 million guaranteed in a QB it makes sense to invest in a WR. Tillman brings a type of WR in strength and size the browns were lacking. IMO some of the younger WR's on this team are being grossly overvalued by the fan base. My guess is that this FO and coaching staff agree, when we see the signing of both FA's and a third round pick at the position.

When you get to the fourth round and beyond, my question in the draft forum at the time was who they thought could be drafted at that point in the draft who would be a major contributor right away at the S position when people started carrying on about neglecting the position?

You see, sometimes when people use a microscope rather than a telescope it restricts their vision. The draft wasn't the only avenue to address help at the S position. Once you get to the fourth round, a FO and coaching staff has to ask themselves if it would be the best solution to draft a player at the position than it would be to sign one of the available FA's still left at the position. Sure they could do both but that won't address an impact now. And if you need an immediate impact at the position more times than not you'll find that in free agency than the draft once the draft is that far along.

And then there are June 1st cuts. So often times they can see better solutions elsewhere other than a fourth, fifth or beyond draft pick.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 06:10 PM
Spot on. I think you can get away with drafting for need in the first and second rounds..maybe even the early 3rd. But starting in the 3rd Rd you should be looking at BPA regardless of need. JMO.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by mac
IMO, Schwartz and Berry are working together to acquire the talent Schwartz needs to improve the defensive performance this season....again, jmho
They better be wink
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 08:02 PM
J/C. This is nice signing. Being familiar with new D and a ton of success for the young guys to learn something. This is better than anything we could have acquired via the draft with our limited picks. Great ADD to that room. Good job Mr Berry. Go Browns
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 05/04/23 09:12 PM

Good depth signing on an already potent offense.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 11:55 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Spot on. I think you can get away with drafting for need in the first and second rounds..maybe even the early 3rd. But starting in the 3rd Rd you should be looking at BPA regardless of need. JMO.

I agree for the most part. I might say even by the mid 2nd you should look for BPA, but that is picking nits. Each draft is different.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 02:03 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 03:58 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 05:28 PM
Likely want a $10m fund in season for:
Practice Squad
Player 52 & 53
IR Replacements

This could very well be the case. Also, I forget the exact rules, but also carrying over cap for next year is never a bad thing either.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 06:25 PM
Likely want a $10m fund in season for:
Practice Squad
Player 52 & 53
IR Replacements

This could very well be the case. Also, I forget the exact rules, but also carrying over cap for next year is never a bad thing either.

Having a little money in the bank for that rainy day is never a bad move.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/05/23 06:57 PM
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/08/23 02:07 PM
JC...

With Dalvin Cook being released...I actually wouldn't mind bringing him in for a visit vs Hopkins (more of a need, versus another WR...and luckily RBs demands are more cheaper versus WR)
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/08/23 03:40 PM
Hmmm, Cook released after 4 straight Pro Bowls and they only player in the NFL to rush for 1,100-plus yards in each of those 4 seasons and only 27 years of age. The Vikings say it's a money thing, but he was due only 10.4 million in base pay this season, 11.9M in 2024 and 12.9M in 2025. Chubb is 28,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/08/23 03:59 PM
https://www.nfl.com/news/vikings-to-release-rb-dalvin-cook-after-six-seasons

Also taking calls on Hunter.

I would rather sign either guy over Hopkins.

Friday will be an interesting day.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/08/23 05:04 PM
Thought I saw something quick about Hunt being looked at to replace Cook...if I can find the time I will track it down...But I too wouldn't mind bringing in Cook for a looksie.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/09/23 05:05 PM

I share the same thoughts, we have no clear #2 RB (perhaps Ford is the guy, but there's also the possibility he's not up to the task as well) I preferred Hunter over Smith, then again I have no idea what Minny is asking in return for Danielle Hunter either. Cook still flashes a ton, and that duo of him and Chubb would be so dynamic, as Cook is so nice in those flats...where he makes huge splashes as he gets downfield so fast. And should still be quite a bit cheaper versus Hopkins, and fills that RB core/room, even if it's just a 1 year deal with incentives.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/09/23 05:38 PM
I'm not sure what people that think the Browns are going to invest that type of money on a backup RB are smoking. But I know one thing for sure, if I still smoked I would be wanting some of it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/09/23 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs

I share the same thoughts, we have no clear #2 RB (perhaps Ford is the guy, but there's also the possibility he's not up to the task as well) I preferred Hunter over Smith, then again I have no idea what Minny is asking in return for Danielle Hunter either. Cook still flashes a ton, and that duo of him and Chubb would be so dynamic, as Cook is so nice in those flats...where he makes huge splashes as he gets downfield so fast. And should still be quite a bit cheaper versus Hopkins, and fills that RB core/room, even if it's just a 1 year deal with incentives.

I don't think Cook is on our radar or any other 'starting caliber" RB. The Browns are going to pass, pass, pass next season and although Chubb will get his fair amount of touches, I think you are going to see a far different approach offensively.....an approach that does not require a RB duo that we saw the past couple of seasons. If they stick with Ford as the #2, I'm thinking they may lean on him similar to what the Chiefs did with McKinnon.

But we'll see.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/09/23 06:01 PM
I certainly agree with you. all anyone has to do is follow the money and see where they've invested to figure out their path forward.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/11/23 07:03 PM
j/c:

I see Clowney is still a free agent.... Interesting he didn't get scooped up as of yet. (Hmmmmmm....)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/11/23 07:32 PM
In 2019 Clowney didn't sign with Houston until August.

In 2020 he didn't sign with the Titans until until September.

So him waiting until late to sign isn't unusual and he is still out there as an option for the Browns.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/12/23 03:52 AM
I agree with all that. But that does make him a commodity any more than a mercenary. The Browns would never sign him again as he is a player that conducts himself as if he's doing you a favor... that ship has sailed because he was never the elite talent to justify that m.o. in the first place.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/12/23 02:15 PM
In 2019 Clowney didn't sign with Houston until August.

In 2020 he didn't sign with the Titans until until September.

So him waiting until late to sign isn't unusual and he is still out there as an option for the Browns.
he'll end up signing anywhere that offers the most in late August. we are content with him not being with us as much as he's content with not being here lol
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency [cont.] - 06/12/23 03:23 PM
He's been a mercenary for years now and during that process the Browns signed him on one year deals for two seasons in a row. He did those same one year pay me deals in both 2019 and 2020 before the Browns signed him in 2021 and 2022. So it's really no different now than it was then in that sense. I do agree with you that I like yourself don't see the Browns signing him again but if it were the the facts he's more of a mercenary and he acts like he's doing you a favor factors the Browns wouldn't have signed him in 2021 or 2022.
© DawgTalkers.net