Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#2008417 03/19/23 01:14 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I put this in the locked thread, but it's newsworthy enough to repeat.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Andrew Berry has done an excellent job in FA this year. As noted in the locked thread, PFF has us tied for 2nd w/a few other teams in regards to which teams have done the best in FA.

I don't think we will--or should--make any other splash signings. There are a few other guys that might be good fits if they don't cost too much. I'm just guessing, but I think these guys are possibilities. I found the write-ups from this site:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...board-best-available-players-after-day-3

25. DE Calais Campbell

The Baltimore Ravens released defensive end Calais Campbell on Monday, and if the 36-year-old decides to continue playing, he shouldn't have to wait long to find work.

While Campbell isn't the sort of Pro Bowl pass-rusher he was early in his career, he's still a strong contributor against the run and the pass. This past season, he tallied 36 tackles, four tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks.

24. Edge Justin Houston

Like Campbell, pass-rusher Justin Houston is an older player who just keeps finding ways to make an impact.

The 34-year-old logged 9.5 sacks, 25 quarterback pressures and 21 tackles with the Ravens in 2022. Houston should be a top target for a playoff-caliber team seeking a situational but productive pass-rusher on a short-term deal.

21. DT Shelby Harris

The Seattle Seahawks released defensive tackle Shelby Harris on Tuesday. Per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, the Seahawks tried to deal Harris but could not find a trade partner.

Now that Harris is available to sign, he should draft much more interest. The 31-year-old is a consistent defensive tackle who has logged at least 32 tackles and two sacks in each of the past four seasons. He had 49 tackles and six sacks with the Denver Broncos two years ago.

19. WR Adam Thielen

The Minnesota Vikings released wideout Adam Thielen last week, and he jumped right into our top 50.

Thielen is 32 years old, had just 716 receiving yards last year and appears to have lost a step in the speed department. However, he's still a savvy route-runner who knows how to create separation.

While Thielen is no longer a Pro Bowl-caliber receiver, he can be a solid No. 2 or No. 3 option for a receiver-needy offense. According to ESPN's David Newton, the Carolina Panthers hosted him on a Wednesday visit.

18. Edge Melvin Ingram

Melvin Ingram turns 34 in April, but he remains a solid rotational pass-rusher. This past season, he recorded six sacks, 18 quarterback pressures and 22 tackles while playing just 45 percent of the defensive snaps.

At his age, Ingram isn't a terrific fit for a rebuilding team. However, he'd be a solid addition for a potential playoff contender seeking a one- or two-year contributor on the edge.

11. WR DJ Chark

Detroit Lions wideout DJ Chark is one of the more underrated players headed into free agency. He hasn't had a 1,000-yard season since 2019, and he didn't produce eye-popping numbers in Detroit this past year (502 yards, 3 TDs).

However, it's worth noting that Chark suffered a season-ending ankle injury in 2021 and spent time on injured reserve with an ankle injury this past season, which limited his production. When healthy, Chark is a speedy and dynamic perimeter threat who will stretch the field and help dictate coverages. He should be viewed as a high-end No. 2 receiver.

9. DT Poona Ford

Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Poona Ford might be the most underrated defender headed into free agency. Though he doesn't possess ideal length, the 5'11", 310-pound Texas product is a space-eater who can clog running lanes and disrupt the backfield.

Signed as an undrafted free agent out of Texas in 2018, Ford quickly emerged as a versatile and productive pro. He has played several roles in Seattle's defensive front, and he's logged at least 30 tackles in each of the past four seasons.

Over the past two seasons, Ford has compiled 88 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, three passes defended, five sacks and 22 quarterback pressures.

With the defensive-tackle dominoes falling quickly, Ford should not remain available for much longer.

There are a couple of other guys I like, but they would cost too much.

Chark is probably going to want too much money despite his injury history. Campbell may want too much? Not sure about that one. I have no idea how much Ford would want.

I think there is a possibility that we bring in one more guy. Maybe two. Then again, I think the chances of not signing another player is probably over 50%.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/19/23 02:00 PM.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wonder if Zach Pascal might be a name to watch at WR. Not the burner that many people want, but we're probably better off looking for that guy in the draft now. Pascal could do the dirty work from the slot and play special teams, while adding leadership to the wr room.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Bummer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Bummer.

Surprised he got a 3 year contract. Wonder what the details look like.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Probably easy terms to get out of after a year, two at most.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hmmmmm. Wonder what's going on there. Definitely not the kind of contract I expected.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Bummer.

Surprised he got a 3 year contract. Wonder what the details look like.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think Berry did an excellent job in FA. Might even give it an A. B+ for sure.

I think we are done with any big FA signing for the time being. We may add another after the June 1 cuts happen and a little more money becomes available. One also has to consider that many vets aren't all that interested in signing much before camp, that way they can skip all the mandatory mini camp stuff.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hmmmmm. Wonder what's going on there. Definitely not the kind of contract I expected.

Thanks for the update,

That's a pretty big raise from the 2.5M he played for last season.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While it is a big raise coming off his cheap rookie deal, spotrac had his market value projected at 5yr/~66.6M for an average annual value of 13.3M. His getting only around 2/3 of that AAV and for only 1 year surprised me.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Great move for the Lions. I thought he was the best FS on the market. He can also play corner/slot. The contract is surprising. He was projected to get a big contract.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
The Lions are becoming a much better team.

It would not be a surprise to see them win their division.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While it is a big raise coming off his cheap rookie deal, spotrac had his market value projected at 5yr/~66.6M for an average annual value of 13.3M. His getting only around 2/3 of that AAV and for only 1 year surprised me.

I understand that, But most teams see him as a slot CB, not a full time Safety.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

M
Legend
Legend
M

#TheAndrewBerrySpecial

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I think Andrew Berry has done an excellent job in FA this year. As noted in the locked thread, PFF has us tied for 2nd w/a few other teams in regards to which teams have done the best in FA.

Excellent job by Berry...completely ignoring the Browns offensive line...

Just an example of Andy Berry being true to his own knowledge of football...OLine is nothing but Oline and OG and OT are nothing more than OGs and OTs...right Andy..?

What could go wrong if a blitzing LB takes out the Browns starting QB...right Andy..?

Never forget what "Andy" said about the importance of offensive lineman when he completely screwed up on his first round pick in the 2020 draft..."tackles are tackles"...just one problem, not all tackles are tackles...

Good ole Browns GM Andy Berry drafted Jedrick Wills Jr. @ #10, passing over Tristen Wirfs...Wirfs accomplishments below...

Tristen Wirfs...2020 all rookie team
....................2020 Super Bowl Champion
....................2021 All Pro
....................2022 All Pro

Good Ole Andy lets his #1 backup G/C gets picked up as the Cards because OLine guys are simply OLine guys.

Some things can't be fixed...allowing the Browns best backup Guard and Center might end up costing the Browns a shot at the playoffs or a chance at a Super Bowl because the Browns GM didn't realize how important the "offensive line is" to the success or failure to the Browns chances of making the 2023 playoffs or Super Bowl.

Some things just can't be fixed...such as GMs who have no idea what it takes to produce a playoff caliber offensive unit.

There is no more important unit on a football team than "the offensive line"..!!!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac

Just an example of Andy Berry being true to his own knowledge of football...OLine is nothing but Oline and OG and OT are nothing more than OGs and OTs...right Andy..?

What could go wrong if a blitzing LB takes out the Browns starting QB...right Andy..?

Never forget what "Andy" said about the importance of offensive lineman when he completely screwed up on his first round pick in the 2020 draft..."tackles are tackles"...just one problem, not all tackles are tackles...

Good ole Browns GM Andy Berry drafted Jedrick Wills Jr. @ #10, passing over Tristen Wirfs...Wirfs accomplishments below...

Good Ole Andy lets his #1 backup G/C gets picked up as the Cards because OLine guys are simply OLine guys.

Some things can't be fixed...allowing the Browns best backup Guard and Center might end up costing the Browns a shot at the playoffs or a chance at a Super Bowl because the Browns GM didn't realize how important the "offensive line is" to the success or failure to the Browns chances of making the 2023 playoffs or Super Bowl.

Some things just can't be fixed...such as GMs who have no idea what it takes to produce a playoff caliber offensive unit.

There is no more important unit on a football team than "the offensive line"..!!!

We're spending the 6th highest amount on OL in the league. We were higher until teams gave out big contracts since this year's free agency began. Most fans (and amateur/OBR prognosticators) I've seen are complaining about us spending too much on the OL. I agree the OL is important, but there is a point when the investment can be too much.

Our "#1 backup G/C" was only playing after our starting C (Harris) and rookie G/C (Deaton) got injured in training camp. Dunn also went on IR during the season as did Pocic. So is he really our #1 backup or was he our #3/4 backup?

Tampa Bay has run primarily a man/power scheme. We have run primarily a (outside) zone scheme. The schemes require different things of their lineman. The success would quite possibly have been different if Wills' and Wirfs' situations had been reversed. One had Tom Brady quickly getting rid of the ball. The other had Baker Mayfield.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That post should have been in purple or you let Throw Long use your account.

3 members like this: vadawgfan07, jfanent, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

1. The guy we let go to the Cards was our fourth string center. He also sucked by every metric and the eye test.
2. Wirfs is a great RIGHT TACKLE. We have no idea how he would have made the transition. Scouting reports were all over the place from RT to guard to LT.
3. “Andy” has brought in Conklin, Teller, Pocic as well as drafting Harris and Wills as well as giving Bitonio a big fat extension. He has made the oline a priority. We have 3 pro bowler/ all pros on the line with decent depth.
4. Oline is the most important unit in football. Ours is one of the best.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Originally Posted by mac

1. The guy we let go to the Cards was our fourth string center. He also sucked by every metric and the eye test.
2. Wirfs is a great RIGHT TACKLE. We have no idea how he would have made the transition. Scouting reports were all over the place from RT to guard to LT.
3. “Andy” has brought in Conklin, Teller, Pocic as well as drafting Harris and Wills as well as giving Bitonio a big fat extension. He has made the oline a priority. We have 3 pro bowler/ all pros on the line with decent depth.
4. Oline is the most important unit in football. Ours is one of the best.

Not a big deal, but Dorsey traded with Buffalo for Teller. Wasn't a huge Dorsey fan in hindsight, but give credit where credit is due.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the correction. Berry did extend him with a big contract.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Berry's talent evaluation has been a mixed bag, but he has put more emphasis on the OL than any GM we have had. He's done a great job of helping to build the OL and also keeping that talent in Cleveland. In addition to he moves you mentioned, he has also recently extended Conklin and Pocic. He brings in projects each year. I believe Dunn is one guy who will be a valuable reserve.

Legend
Legend
Do you remember what the OL looked like when AB started?

To imply AB did not address the OL is fallacy.

He drafted a Wills. Signed Conklin, Extended Bitonio. Had Tretter who was good till he retired. Replaced him with Pocic.

The OL has been rated as on of the best since 2020.

Wills was a RT moved to LT. Wirfs is a RT. Wills is 23. It takes time to develop. OL can have long careers and most get better with more experience.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Berry's talent evaluation has been a mixed bag, but he has put more emphasis on the OL than any GM we have had. He's done a great job of helping to build the OL and also keeping that talent in Cleveland. In addition to he moves you mentioned, he has also recently extended Conklin and Pocic. He brings in projects each year. I believe Dunn is one guy who will be a valuable reserve.

FYI: Dunn is a free agent at the moment. I would be surprised if they did not try and re-sign him though - they did not tender him...so he's a URFA. I think he's a valuable backup and can spot-start as long as he's healthy.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This guy is a good back. Missed some time w/an injury. Very underrated.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I

Good to see Baker is eating well. He's looking a bit pudgy
These days. How many pudgy QBs have been successful
In the NFL?

Legend
Legend
rofl

He looks... pudgy??

The obsession is real with some of the haters.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P
One had Tom Brady quickly getting rid of the ball. The other had Baker Mayfield.

While I agree with the bulk of your post in this part you must have forgotten about 2022.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This guy was linked to the Browns.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V