Legend
V
Yesterday, March 24th.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I made a mistake in my first post. Our offense is ranked 9th overall. The defensive roster is ranked 13th.

That makes more sense. I was thinking the 9th overall was probably too high.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think our grade is actually pushed a good bit down because of DW's performance last season. If he returns to form, it appears that would be a big bump up assuming the percentages at the top relate to weighting.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I thought the same thing.

Having Austin Ekeler and Joshua Kelley rated 2x higher than Nick Chubb and anyone with a pulse is a bit obscene.

Edit: Ooops, read the Broncos line instead of the Browns.

Still, Chargers RBs at 3.9... Browns at 2.5?

Last edited by FATE; 03/25/23 11:26 AM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Given the recent changes in receivers. I wonder what we have ranked before adding Moore and Goodwin.

Obviously DW ranking is from the last six games.

Interesting but I feel our offense has been improved.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bonefish
For as long as I can remember when the draft begins; the Browns looked to the draft to solve problems.

Let's face it every team has position questions. As a year ends teams are forced to cut players. Or, players leave holes as they enter free agency.

Contracts expire. Players retire.

Today we could field our starting team. I really can not remember being in this position. In addition, we may still sign free agents. I mean we may resign Hunt. And, or we may sign another D lineman.

In addition we enter the draft with eight picks.

We have added: Tomlinson, Dobbs, Moore, Goodwin, Adams, Ford, Hurst, Akins, Hill, Obo, Thornhill, and resigned Kunaszyk, Taki, Green, Pocic, Walker

That is a large transition. Plus we have a new defensive coordinator and ST coordinator and some position coaches.

The 2023 Browns are a different team.

Camp will be competitive. It will not be easy to make this roster. There are a number of guys who will be fighting to stay on the team.

When I look back at other seasons at this time. There were always major doubts. I can not say what the end of 2023 will look like. But it sure is refreshing to be in this position for once.

Well said. There is much to like about this off-season. I'm not at all excited about Dobbs and/or Walker coming back (don't hate it...don't love it)...Goodwin is a bit of a flyer (in a good way)...and I think Browns fans in general crazy-overvalue DPJ (who I really like)...BUT...looking at these moves ON THE WHOLE...it's awfully hard to be critical of how Berry & Co went at this off-season. Moore and Goodwin might not be world-beaters...BUT...when added to Cooper, those guys help make the unit (& DPJ) dramatically better than we've had since I-don't-know-when. Another athletic TE in Akins is just what we needed IMO. Good stuff all around and I didn't even opine on the D additions.

They could still use a vet DT/DE and they should be able to find some contributors in the draft - even with limited ammo to do so. I'd feel better if we found a decent FA Safety to backup the group before the draft. Very little to complain about.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
For as long as I can remember when the draft begins; the Browns looked to the draft to solve problems.

Let's face it every team has position questions. As a year ends teams are forced to cut players. Or, players leave holes as they enter free agency.

Contracts expire. Players retire.

Today we could field our starting team. I really can not remember being in this position. In addition, we may still sign free agents. I mean we may resign Hunt. And, or we may sign another D lineman.

In addition we enter the draft with eight picks.

We have added: Tomlinson, Dobbs, Moore, Goodwin, Adams, Ford, Hurst, Akins, Hill, Obo, Thornhill, and resigned Kunaszyk, Taki, Green, Pocic, Walker

That is a large transition. Plus we have a new defensive coordinator and ST coordinator and some position coaches.

The 2023 Browns are a different team.

Camp will be competitive. It will not be easy to make this roster. There are a number of guys who will be fighting to stay on the team.

When I look back at other seasons at this time. There were always major doubts. I can not say what the end of 2023 will look like. But it sure is refreshing to be in this position for once.
I don't think there has been a team as active in free agency
So far then the Browns. Berry has been aggressive and not
OVERPAID for any free agent
But I will say all these additions this year tells you how
Over rated the Browns roster was going into last year.
So many had the Browns predicted to win the North
Or be a Wild Card

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Thanks for the info.

Some complain, but for what it is worth as reports after being a pro are limited. At least this gives a baseline idea since few of us know anything about the guy.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/wes-martin/32004d41-5276-3142-cf04-a9d5c3a3b08b

Obviously has enough talent to bounce around the NFL for 4 years...a replacement for the Froholdt.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am on the record for years: I do not give a hoot about who wins us games — just win, baby. Welcome to the new Browns; win us some games! I think this FA has done us more good than FA has for quite awhile. I feel better about the draft with our FA signings. The season will prove whether it was enough good. Unleash the Elf!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks for the article. I like reading to read some background information on a guy I know nothing about.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Still waiting for the Browns to sign Matt Ioannidis.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...anders-indiana-milton-union/70050126007/

PHOENIX — The first day of the NFL Owners Meetings in Phoenix brought with it news of another Browns addition.

A league source confirmed to the Beacon Journal that Cleveland will sign offensive guard Wes Martin at some point this week. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler was the first to report.

Martin fits in with the Browns as a candidate to be one of the interior depth players on the offensive line. The Browns lost Hjalte Froholdt, who held that role last year, when he signed as a free agent this month with the Arizona Cardinals.

Another potential interior depth piece from last season, Michael Dunn, remains a restricted free agent. The Browns did re-sign center Ethan Pocic to a three-year deal, the only offensive line move they've made in free agency prior to this week.

Martin, who grew up in West Milton, Ohio, and attended Milton Union High School, has spent his entire career on active rosters in the NFC East since being a 2019 fourth-round pick by Washington out of Indiana University.

The first two seasons were spent with Washington, playing in a combined 32 games, including a playoff game, with 10 starts. He appeared in all 17 games, regular season and playoffs, for the team during the 2020 season.

The New York Giants signed Martin on Sept. 21, 2021, after he had ended up on the Commanders' practice squad. He played seven games, including one start, with the Giants before being waived the following May.

Martin initially signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, but was released on Aug. 23. The next day, he returned to Washington, where he played six games, almost exclusively on special teams.

According to Pro Football Reference, Martin has played 760 offensive snaps and 128 special-teams snaps.

Contact Chris at ceasterling@thebeaconjournal.com.

On Twitter: @ceasterlingABJ

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I hope we re-sign Dunn. He got banged up last year, but I liked him better than Froholdt.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Going live to Andrew Berry:

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: FATE, lampdogg
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I hope we re-sign Dunn. He got banged up last year, but I liked him better than Froholdt.

I agree. mac is pretty salty about losing Froholdt (which is fine) but I think Dunn would have played ahead of Froholdt if Dunn's health would have allowed it. I read this morning that Dunn is the same age as Conklin...not that that is old, but maybe they want a younger guy with even-more upside than Dunn.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

One safety off the board.

M
Legend
Legend
M

And the battle to control the narrative carries on.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...anders-indiana-milton-union/70050126007/

PHOENIX — The first day of the NFL Owners Meetings in Phoenix brought with it news of another Browns addition.

A league source confirmed to the Beacon Journal that Cleveland will sign offensive guard Wes Martin at some point this week. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler was the first to report.

Martin fits in with the Browns as a candidate to be one of the interior depth players on the offensive line. The Browns lost Hjalte Froholdt, who held that role last year, when he signed as a free agent this month with the Arizona Cardinals.

Another potential interior depth piece from last season, Michael Dunn, remains a restricted free agent. The Browns did re-sign center Ethan Pocic to a three-year deal, the only offensive line move they've made in free agency prior to this week.

Martin, who grew up in West Milton, Ohio, and attended Milton Union High School, has spent his entire career on active rosters in the NFC East since being a 2019 fourth-round pick by Washington out of Indiana University.

The first two seasons were spent with Washington, playing in a combined 32 games, including a playoff game, with 10 starts. He appeared in all 17 games, regular season and playoffs, for the team during the 2020 season.

The New York Giants signed Martin on Sept. 21, 2021, after he had ended up on the Commanders' practice squad. He played seven games, including one start, with the Giants before being waived the following May.

Martin initially signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, but was released on Aug. 23. The next day, he returned to Washington, where he played six games, almost exclusively on special teams.

According to Pro Football Reference, Martin has played 760 offensive snaps and 128 special-teams snaps.

On Twitter: @ceasterlingABJ

A part of the Wes Martin signing that I haven't noticed being mentioned on the boards here is that Callahan was still with Washington when Martin was drafted. There's some first hand experience between the two, so if Callahan wanted him, I'll trust he knows what he's doing.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
The Lamar statement is reminiscent of the Baker thanks to the Cleveland fans.

Money talks. And I guess until he is traded the door will remain open to a deal.

However, it sure does not sound like the Ravens are not prepared to pay Lamar what he expects to be paid.

IMO the Ravens will begin a process to trade him.

I am not certain with the non exclusive tag how they would have to do it. My guess is sign him and then put him up for bids.

Lamar IMO will not play for them under the tag.

Legend
Legend
It would be a good day to get him out of the North.

I would say it will add at least one victory for the Browns maybe two.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Hey Bone, I have to ask you. Do you think with our new coaches and all the FA signings we should be getting at least a little excited about 2023 or because we're Browns fans and know better, we should just stay reserved and be quietly optimistic?

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 03/27/23 03:36 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
I am glad you asked that HD.

When it comes to the Browns it is a hard ask. We as fans are so front and center on every breath of news regarding our team.

I felt very strongly that free agency would tell the story. There were many questions related to the cap as to what could we do?

As I look today. I did not see that we would add so many players. I felt we would maybe get five or so guys.

We have added eleven and resigned five. And it is still expected that we will add more free agents. Then we have eight draft picks.

That is 19 new players at least. The number when all is said and done?

So let's begin with that. Then add the changes in the coordinators and coaches. So we are a much different team than 2022.

To answer your question we have to start with Deshaun Watson. I will state what I believe. Some will question or disagree.

What quarterback will we see in 2023? I firmly believe we will see the guy who is listed 6'3" 223 lbs and how he played 2018, 2019, and 2020.

He averaged 4,280 and threw for 68.6 completion percentage. That average is over 47 games. The six games last year IMO were more akin to exhibition games under the full spectrum of circumstances of 2022.

With that stated. The NFL is really tight. Teams are very close and there are loads of talent spread all around. The AFC has the premier quarterbacks.

Even at this early stage with the roster not final. I seriously believe we can compete with any team. Games are decided in fractions so I will not predict a record.

I think we should be optimistic and not be reserved.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm inclined to agree with what you stated. I don't have a crystal ball but if I had to bet I would say we are going to see the DW of a few years ago or at least a reasonable facsimile. That, along with our new WR group, a rebuilt D and better coaching staff to me equates to a very competitive team. Whatever team stays the healthiest could determine who comes out on top in the AFC.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 03/27/23 06:48 PM.
Legend
Legend
So many factors come into play over a season.

Injuries are random and unpredictable other than they will happen.

So many games are so close a play or two either way.

We have made changes. We should become a more consistent offense. Jim Schwartz will field a better defense.

So fingers crossed.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly and if a couple of those plays went our way in a few of those games last season our record would have been 10-7 and we would have made the playoffs. That's hard to fathom considering how bad our run D was along with the defensive backfield issues.

L
Legend
Legend
L
[

On Twitter: @ceasterlingABJ[/quote]

A part of the Wes Martin signing that I haven't noticed being mentioned on the boards here is that Callahan was still with Washington when Martin was drafted. There's some first hand experience between the two, so if Callahan wanted him, I'll trust he knows what he's doing.[/quote]

Nice catch, bull. You can bet Callahan put in his two cents about Wes.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes,

Callahan's unfinished business ... plus Martin can fill the role of Froholdt who got paid to go elsewhere.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M

This is a real good signing for the Bengals, IMO. I think, easily, a healthy Irv Smith is a better option than their former TE, Hayden Hurst.

Another legitimate weapon for Cincinnati. Ugh.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Makes no sense for the Browns allow their best back up OG to be poached by the Cardinals and now the Browns are forced to sort through the "leftovers" in an effort to fill the void.

BTW, the Cardinals thank Andrew Berry for allowing them to poach the Browns 'best backup OG' who is projected to become "a starter" for the Cards.

Let that sink in for a bit...

...Now Berry is searching for someone to fill the void "he created" when he failed to resign HF.

Last edited by mac; 03/28/23 11:26 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Damn media for running that conspiring against Froholdt. I can't believe Berry was flimflammed into believing their reports. He was hoodwinked! Bamboozled!

Edit: I forgot a couple more: He was lead up the garden path! Snookered! Goldbricked! (yes, for these extras I'm using the dictionary for synonyms)

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 03/28/23 01:58 PM.
4 members like this: Versatile Dog, jfanent, FL_Dawg
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency [cont.]

Link Copied to Clipboard