Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not sure if we are done adding defensive free agents?

We may still sign Al Woods or someone else.

We have added guys already that should improve overall play. Tomlinson and Thornhill are immediate starters. We resigned Walker and Taki.
We added some depth at DT in Hurst and Hill. Ogbo is a rotation piece at DE.

The big addition is Jim Schwartz.

A defense must have a "playing personality." Something I never saw with Joe Woods. The lose to the Falcons in particular was horrific. The defense was humiliated. After that game I was over Joe Woods.

Schwartz brings a world of defensive experience. He was with Belichick and Saban. He is first a teacher. He knows what he wants to see from each defensive unit. He understands how each unit supports the others. Schwartz leans heavily on his front four. He wants pressure on the qb but he knows he must have interior gap integrity to stop the run.

When that is accomplished the lb's and back end are supported. They are left to make plays on the ball.

Last year I got sick of seeing OG's get into the second level. We were trying to cover the field with lots of nickle and dime. But the front four was failing.

When the season ended it was clear a new direction was needed.

I am expecting to see a defense play together. I do not expect to see missed assignments.

An improved defense alone should make a big difference for the Browns. If the defense can give us two more wins then the offense only needs to add two more wins.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'll start by saying that I agree with you...as usual. My thoughts on the matter:

I have been - and continue to be - very critical of Myles and Denzel. I think they BOTH could/should be much more effective and their impact noticeable. My hope is that a fiery, aggressive guy like Schwartz (who is not like Greg Williams) is exactly what our defense needs - and in particular those ^^ two guys.

I hated watching Woods' defense..hated it. The lack of communication (apparent) was astonishing. I don't know whose fault it was and I don't care. But it was seemingly always there. However, once those memories fade, a fair argument will surely come up wondering how Woods' defense would have performed with the D-Line we'll have in '23 vs the D-Line we had in '22 & '21. I will not be surprised if the only DT holdover from '22 is Winfrey...a 4th Rd pick who got off to a bad, bad start. Not to mention FINALLY having a true FS starter on the roster. It was what it was.

I'm hoping our defense takes on Schwartz' demeanor and attitude. He just might be the perfect compliment to Ski - who BTW I think is waaaaaay too passive on the sidelines during the games - particularly when it comes to 'working' the refs. He's too 'nice'...just like a whole bunch of our guys. You can be 'nice' without being soft.

Defense sets the tone...the offense feeds off that tone. We've seen it many times...just usually on the other end of the field.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns defense over the last few years has been
Very passive and lacking physicality. Even worse in the late
Stages of a game, players on the D were mentally checked out.
But like anything else there has to be results on the field.
Too many times in the past everytime the Browns
Would get a new DC the Homer train would get a full head
Of steam and act like the Browns got the best DC and oooh
Watch out the rest of the AFC North.
Then at the end of the year the Browns defense is ranked 29th.
Schwartz needs to trust his players and the players have to
Trust Schwartz.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we are in pretty good shape on D. I do think there is a good chance we will sign another defensive play, though it might be after the June 1 cuts open up some extra money.

Anybody not signed by June 1 might be willing to cut a deal just to get a job. We might be able to get a decent player on the cheap. You have to remember a lot of vets don't want to sign early in order to avoid mandatory mini camps etc., so it isn't just scrubs sitting there.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Being objective about the defense last season start with the Jets game. A collapse on defense and ST.

Then look at each defeat and how the defense contributed to the loss.

We lost 10 games. One would have to believe that if Schwartz and the added players makes a difference. We could with better play improve to 10 wins.

I do not think that is above reason.

We all have expectations on what DW will do. However, just looking at last seasons defensive stats. If we can improve in the areas where we failed.
This will be a much better team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I pretty much agree with your posts. There is one caveat' however. I agree with you that Schwartz relies heavily on the front four and the interior of the DL. Where we may disagree is I don't see the off season moves thus far in regards to the interior DL as accomplishing that. As others have touched upon I think there needs to be at least one Veteran FA signed in that department and that some veterans wish to hold off signing until later to avoid such things as mandatory mini camps.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think Tomlinson is a big addition. Adding him will really help Winfrey. Tomlinson will allow Winfrey to penetrate better.

Hurst and Hill I look at as we are taking a flyer on them. They have some good tape but they have had injuries.

What they will add is unknown. Hurst if healthy may help.

Elliott and Togiai I wish that I could feel better about. But I don't. I don't see them improving.

I do think we will add a guy like Al Woods.

Ogbo in rotation with Alex Wright we shall see. Wright was a rookie and I thought he had a typical rookie year. Ogbo I like.

He can rush the passer.

I do think we will add players in the draft. But I am not counting on them to do much.

In the end I do believe the defense will improve significantly.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree it will improve as it stands now. There have certainly been some welcome additions and adding Schwartz to the mix is something I certainly would never downplay.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we have improved our talent. I am hoping Schwartz is a difference maker. Just not sure he will be. Can't say I saw schematic deficiencies last year w/Woods. Hopefully, he wasn't a good motivator and Schwartz is. One thing I question is why hasn't Schwartz been a DC recently? If he is as good as you are saying......why wasn't he in charge in Philly or anywhere else in recent years?

I'm taking a wait and see approach, just like I did w/Freddie when you thought he was some huge upgrade as a HC.

Legend
Legend
On January 19, 2016, Schwartz was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles to be their defensive coordinator under coach Doug Pederson.[27] Inheriting one of the league's worst defenses, Schwartz made an immediate impact. Implementing his 4-3 defense, Schwartz turned around the defense that previously ranked 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed to 13th and 12th in his first season and fourth in both categories during his second.[28] He would eventually lead the defense to his and the Eagles' first Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LII.[29] On January 7, 2021, Schwartz announced that he was going to step away from coaching and resigned from the Eagles.[30][31]

Didn't he say he stepped down in Philly because of health concerns? Eyesight, vertigo? Can't remember the details other than he would not be able to watch all the game film and didn't want to give the team less than 100%.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes on the illness.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
I think Tomlinson is a big addition. Adding him will really help Winfrey.

Does he have a law degree?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
4 members like this: Clemdawg, Steubenvillian, Ballpeen
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good one.

I am going to sound off. Behavior problems, and off field stuff in general I have a hard time understanding.

Professional sports pays like nothing else. The money is crazy money. Ohtani's next deal will begin at $500m.

How can anyone making dough like that jeopardize the income?

Yet every year guys going into the draft do something incredible stupid.

Winfrey was disciplined last year for his lack of professionalism. Basically not doing what he was told to do.

I do not understand that. You would think that you be more aware of what life is about.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
E
Legend
Legend
E
Pure and simple we need to bring intense pressure.
And I don't want to see the same look over and over again.

It looks like we have put together a lot of talent (ON PAPER).

I think a guy that can make us awesome would be DT Maurice Hurst he is a key and he will be used in a rotation of some sort because of his health background but he is an amazing player if he gets his reps.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think we have improved our talent. I am hoping Schwartz is a difference maker. Just not sure he will be. Can't say I saw schematic deficiencies last year w/Woods. Hopefully, he wasn't a good motivator and Schwartz is. One thing I question is why hasn't Schwartz been a DC recently? If he is as good as you are saying......why wasn't he in charge in Philly or anywhere else in recent years?

I'm taking a wait and see approach, just like I did w/Freddie when you thought he was some huge upgrade as a HC.

I'm pretty sure he had a pretty serious thyroid issue, so he took some time away to get his health in order. He's since gotten it under control and is back to feeling himself. Think he mentioned it in one of the introductory pressers. I'll try to track down a link.

Originally Posted by Press Conference Transcript
On why the Browns defensive coordinator position was attractive after having a ‘semi-retirement’ a few years ago:

“A couple of years ago, I had some health issues – my thyroid, not to bore you guys and probably maybe not too much for print – but my thyroid went kaput a couple of years ago. It took the greater part of about 18 months to get my numbers to where they needed to be, and it is well controlled. I went through a year where I could not sleep more than two hours. I was either too hot or too cold. My poor wife, I would freeze her out with the air conditioning and then walk around with a winter coat on the next day. I had some eye surgeries because of some vision stuff due to it. As soon as we got the number straight – it is a little bit of a moving target, but boring – and once I got that straightened out… I had one doctor tell me one time as I am like, ‘Look, I get really wicked headaches from watching film because I have some doubled vision.’ His solution was, ‘Well, do not watch so much film.’ I could not cheat the game. I could not give a substandard performance. It was not fair to the organization. It was not fair to the players. It was not fair to the other guys coaching staff. It was a very difficult decision, but I had to step away. The Titans and (Titans Head Coach) Mike Vrabel were very gracious to give me an opportunity to still contribute while I was sort of dealing with that stuff. I feel good. I am ready to go again. Attractive here, I think it always starts with ownership. I have seen a lot of different ownerships, but I appreciate hands-on ownership. I appreciate owners that are willing to make the improvements/capital improvements in order to be successful. I see that here. I had a little bit of a relationship with (Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager) Andrew Berry from Philadelphia and knew the way he thought and how smart he was and his long-range vision. When he was in Philly, I used to in the back of my mind – I do not know that I ever told him this; it will probably be news to him – always had it in the back of my mind that, ‘Man, that is a guy I would like to work with again and that is sort of my idea of a GM.’ Just unflappable. The same all of the time. Did not get too high. Did not get too low. Us coaches, we can get emotional. It is hard to wear a loss. Sometimes we get a little too high after a win. That is not Andrew. He is straight down the middle. I have a lot of respect for that consistency. With Kevin, we had met each other over the years and gone head to head a couple of times, but really my attraction with him was we came up the same way in the NFL. He started from the bottom like I did and worked his way up incrementally over the time. I have a lot of respect for that, a lot of guys that can persevere through some tough times and they do not they are advancing as quick as other people are but they just do the work. They just do the work, and they get ready. When it came his time to be a coordinator, he shined. and all of that work paid off. When he became a head coach, he shined and all of that hard work paid off. I have a lot of respect for that. I think if any of those three had not been in place, maybe it would not have been attractive, but those three pieces made it a very attractive job, not just for me but I think around the league.”
link

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 04/13/23 10:23 AM. Reason: Added quote and link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Good one.

I am going to sound off. Behavior problems, and off field stuff in general I have a hard time understanding.

I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding it. Accepting it is a different matter all together depending on who the player is.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I believe we improved as far as starters, but I think rotationally and backups we are questionable.

Looking at the depth at each position the corners are the only position with sustainability.

DT position has the players to be somewhat rotational.

Otherwise, I hate to say I don't see where the defense can withstand many injuries.

My biggest concern is DE and safety. What are the expectations from this defense when Garrett and Thornhill take a play or two off to rest?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Injuries and depth will always be an issue.

It is for every team. When you look at the cap and how you spend it. Depth is where the least money goes.

Teams have to fill out their roster with later round draft picks hoping that they will develop and contribute. Past the third round your hope is that some day they can be role players. Few will become starters. It happens DPJ became a starter. You need to hit on a few but the odds sure go down.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Thanks to those who addressed Schwartz's recent history. thumbsup

F
Legend
Legend
F
I expect someone to bring a sign that says, "May the Schwartz Be With Us" to a game. Don't disappoint folks. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Injuries and depth will always be an issue.

It is for every team. When you look at the cap and how you spend it. Depth is where the least money goes.

Teams have to fill out their roster with later round draft picks hoping that they will develop and contribute. Past the third round your hope is that some day they can be role players. Few will become starters. It happens DPJ became a starter. You need to hit on a few but the odds sure go down.

No doubt. The reality is if you can draft 1-2 starters a draft you have done a good job.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is cool data about blitzing that was done by a guy the Browns just hired as a researcher.

https://www.kaggle.com/code/dominicborsani/using-data-to-determine-blitz-strategy

I enjoy this kind of detail.

1 member likes this: HotBYoungTurk
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I would like to hear some video examples of his (dominic borsani) analysis...

Last edited by mac; 04/22/23 08:38 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Did a search and came up with this..a more detailed view of the previous link.

https://www.kaggle.com/code/dominicborsani/using-data-to-determine-blitz-strategy

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The final roster is not yet set.

We may add a FA yet on the DL.

If we add a guy like Al Woods for the interior after the draft. I think we will be ok.

However, I would really like to find another DE. Pass rushers are a premium so really goods are not going to be hidden in the draft.

We might find a good one in the 50 range depending on how the draft lays out.

The guy who seems to be of interest to the Browns is Yaya Diaby. I know he was brought in for a look see.

I can't say how good he is. He is projected as a 4th.

The one guy that I do like Keion White who projects around pick 50 or so. But I have seen him in mocks for the first round.

I am hoping we target a guy a go get him. We need a long term guy at DE.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Mohamoud Diabate, Jeremiah Martin, Lonnie Phelps, Isaiah McGuire, and Siaki Ika all being added to the D- what do you think the Browns will do with P. Winfrey.....could he be GONE due to lack of production AND maturity....sure would send a signal. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
T
Legend
Legend
T
Don't forget Maurice Hearst, Dalvin Tomlinson and Ogbinaya Okoronkwo, and db Juan Thornhill, added early March of this year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Being able to sub in five new pairs of fresh legs in the pass rush of a defensive drive can't be bad.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by hitt
Mohamoud Diabate, Jeremiah Martin, Lonnie Phelps, Isaiah McGuire, and Siaki Ika all being added to the D- what do you think the Browns will do with P. Winfrey.....could he be GONE due to lack of production AND maturity....sure would send a signal. Go Browns!!!!

I think he at least gets through camp to see if he's 100% all in and focused.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, but the club sure gave the season 22 DL folks a HUGE kick in the butt competition wise- maybe Schwartz's style D will help Winfrey- all the returners will have to put on big boy pants with all the new folks wanting jobs-- Go Browns

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It’s not that difficult, if you think about it. For college players you expect to see a significant jump between year 1-2. This is now a full time job, and players that approach it that way will generally improve significantly. Those that do not, will probably not be around for long.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
WOW, GM keeps on giving.....add Z Smith- a whole new DL- if healthy we could rock!!!

E
Legend
Legend
E
WOW, GM keeps on giving.....add Z Smith- a whole new DL- if healthy we could rock!!!

Starting to get excited! Gotten into watching games from the mid to late 80's with Defenses put together by Schottenheimer 3-4 and then 4-3 by Bud Carson. Tremendous pressure oh and might I add MODELL SUCKS!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
2 members like this: PitDAWG, FATE
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Amen!! I feel sorry for Browns fans who have never seen OUR team as champs!!! Alive in 60s, loved watching Jim run around and thru guys...Leroy Kelly was fab...smoked the Colts as underdogs.....damn, that was SWEET. Go Browns!!!

PS Warfield, Collins, Groza----those guys were all sweet. And Ryan got it done.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Amen!! I feel sorry for Browns fans who have never seen OUR team as champs!!! Alive in 60s, loved watching Jim run around and thru guys...Leroy Kelly was fab...smoked the Colts as underdogs.....damn, that was SWEET. Go Browns!!!

PS Warfield, Collins, Groza----those guys were all sweet. And Ryan got it done.

I am a little too young to remember Jim Brown playing (became a fan in 1969) but the Browns were considered one of the NFLs better franchises through the early 70. I think they only had one or 2 losing season from 1946 to 1973. A plus was that the Steelers were a laughingstock during that period until about 1972.

P
Legend
Legend
P
They would have to be 58 years old to have even been alive the last time the Browns were "Champs". Much less remember it.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
What is the analytic that has a team change the relied upon player at the position of both safeties
and continues to commit to new change there
year after year after year;
even it the players who leave go on to do well and play long on other nfl teams.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m looking forward to seeing what Schwartz can do with this defence. Like this trade, liked the Dalvin signing from Minnesota. Jim was the DC I wanted when Woods was let go.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Getting Schwartz was key.

I am sure he played a huge part in deciding the defensive players that were added.

He now has the players to play his scheme. I am really looking forward to seeing how we improve.

Legend
Legend
I agree. We all know (or strongly think) that Woods and his scheme were doing us no favors. Add the DL talent that we’ve acquired and we HAVE to be improved.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard