F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Love that Swartz wanted him

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
How much have you seen him play to come to the conclusion he is a project?

We all know that answer.

I’m sure he made a few phone calls

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Not sure what to think about this pick. I don't remember watching him play, so there is no eye test. The reports on him leave me w/mixed feelings. I'm probably leaning towards thinking this wasn't a good pick.

The reaction by Schwartz gives me hope. It seems like he really wanted this guy.

On the other hand, showing up 12 lbs heavier at his pro day than he was at the Combine is alarming, as is his one-game suspension for an off the field incident.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Not sure what to think about this pick. I don't remember watching him play, so there is no eye test. The reports on him leave me w/mixed feelings. I'm probably leaning towards thinking this wasn't a good pick.

The reaction by Schwartz gives me hope. It seems like he really wanted this guy.

On the other hand, showing up 12 lbs heavier at his pro day than he was at the Combine is alarming, as is his one-game suspension for an off the field incident.

This one seems like it's going to require some projection. The Browns talked about using him differently than he was used at Baylor (Dump truck -> Ferrari, which Berry later expanded on.) He two gapped a lot there, but they want to see him more attacking. Of course, saying it is one thing, and seeing it is another. I see some upside there. Here's a link to a video of Okie State's Mike Gundy commenting on Ika that kind of reflects that: Link

I'm not sure what to make of the weight change. He's going to be a big dude. That's what you saw on the film. I don't think he necessarily showed up heavier at his pro day as much as he tried to cut weight for the combine. Body composition could definitely improve, but I don't know if I'd go as far as alarming. It is, admittedly, something to keep an eye on. He moves pretty well:

Haven't been able to find out more about the suspension. Hopefully having a kid now will make that sort of deal a thing of the past.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the information. I really like what Gundy had to say. That's encouraging.

Legend
Legend
He has some serious guns. shocked

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Nice arms, hopely no guns, like he has child he need to provide for- normally matures guys up....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hadn't looked at any of Ika's highlights before this videos
Watching it I keep hearing Schwartz saying we are goiing to turn you from a dump truck to a Ferrari
can see what Schwartz is envisioning - hope it materializes

I

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
Not sure Schwartz can turn this guy in to a Ferrari - but he's a space eating, run stuffing plug to put in the middle of the DL. At #98 I am not expecting fireworks, solid rotation play and depth is fine.

You never know, but I like the perspective. He is a 3rd round pick.

The guy probably isn't going to put up great stats. He is a guy who is going to help others put up stats. His stats and value will show up on film in the coaches room.

If he can take on 2 blockers or changes the way others team attack the run, he is a winner.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

It seems like the Browns feel like Ika has some untapped interior pass rush ability and they want to reform his role a bit from what was done at Baylor. The highlight videos do indicate some pass rush ability, but then again, they are called highlights for a reason.

We'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think he'll put up monster numbers, but I think he could be able to blow up blocking schemes and create opportunities for plays in the backfield for other guys.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
If he can just get a little push so QBs can’t step up in the pocket Myles will have a monster year.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
When I was 18; I moved from Cleveland to Oceanside, Ca. and went to junior college.

I started to meet people my age that grew up there. There was a large community of Samoans.

Pacific Islanders are some different people. The men are huge. Really thick guys with huge legs. They are really impressive athletes. Strong dudes with thick necks and tough as nails.

Samoa is a tiny island and they have put a bunch of players into the NFL.

Strange because Polynesians originally came from SE Asia. Asians in general are small people. The Samoans are a very good-looking and a finely-built race, both men and women, with skins of a pale brown color, bright eyes, straight black hair and beautifully white teeth.

They are a closely knit community. You would not want to make a mistake and have a run in with any of them. They are nice people but not people to cross.

Ika is a Tongan. They are the same people as Samoans.

He is a big guy and you can bet he is strong as hell. They are not just big fat guys. Quick and powerful to go along with their size.

Welcome to Cleveland Siaka Ika. Cleveland is a long way from the Pacific islands.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let me guess. Mira Costa.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Correct.

When I first attended it was called Oceanside/Carlsbad Junior College. Then they renamed it Mira Costa.

Man that was long ago. Former Indian's first baseman Chris Chambliss went to school there when I was there.

Those were some wild years for me.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Always interesting to know a little something about a persons path through life. We have all had our twists and turns, not totally knowing where it as headed.

Even as older guys we don't know where that path is headed.

Well, ok, we know where it is headed, but you know what I mean.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Way off topic but recently I heard Stephen Stills tell the story of how the song "For What It's Worth" was written.

He was living in Laurel Canyon with members of Buffalo Springfield. He was on Sunset Strip and there were a group of policemen pushing around some young people. They was a famous bar called "Pandora's Box." It was across the street from the "Whisky A Go Go." Another famous club.

Pandora's Box was going to be closed. People were there because it was really the police cracking down on the "hippie scene."

I had come up from Oceanside to go the Sunset Blvd. scene. We were standing around at Pandora's Box one night and the police were there clearing sidewalks and in general pushing people around.

I have no idea if it was exactly when Stills witnessed the incident but it could have been. The timing was real close.

I left Oceanside after two years and went back to Ohio. I enrolled at Kent State. That was in 1969. I was there May 4th of 1970.

"What a long strange trip it's been."

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Agree or nah?

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure, but I am glad that Berry addressed the DT spots. I think we can all agree on that.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sounds like what we had with Jerry Ball and Michael Dean Perry 30 years ago

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Not sure, but I am glad that Berry addressed the DT spots. I think we can all agree on that.

I certainly do.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Forgot about Jerry Ball haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nobody ran up the middle on us with those 2 guys!!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P

Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson were a great set of DT's also. thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
1 member likes this: GMdawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
Jerry Ball and MDP, Michael Dean Perry, ninety two, were both long tenured vets neither was a rookie.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
love that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Getting closer to "show me" time...

I'm concerned about an injury to Ika as the hitting gets real.

Hopefully the Browns training staff will have Ika in the best shape in his lifetime. thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
I have a good feeling about this players ability to, you know, do the obvious, be a massive stopper in the middle of the DL.
sticky icky

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
2nd String
2nd String
Those were the days. Browns football at its finest in my opinion.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Browns Select DT Siaki Ika.

Link Copied to Clipboard