Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

And that would be a good move IMO. A better than average back, young enough....do it if we can. He could fill in nicely if pressed in to starting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Hopefully JOK didn’t hear what D’Qwell had to say about him on the Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show. Could be awkward!

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
The Athletic's Zac Jackson believes RB Jerome Ford "appears headed for a much larger role this season.
Ford, according to Jackson, impressed the team's decision makers as a rookie in 2022, functioning mostly as a kicker returner as Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt shared the Cleveland backfield. Hunt is not expected back with the Browns, potentially putting Ford in the RB2 role behind Chubb to start the season. Head coach Kevin Stefanski in March said Ford is capable of working as the team's No. 2 back this season, and the second-year RB functioned as the top backfield option in OTAs this week with Chubb sidelined. Ford, 23, profiles as a reasonable late-round pick for Zero RB drafters this summer.
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news/11179566?category=headlines

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I respect D'Quell. He played in the NFL.

However, in my experience in listening to ex-players is that they view things through themselves.

What I mean by that is this. In his case he views the linebacker position from his frame of reference. Play the position the way he played it.

The game and position changes. The linebacker position has become more about passing support than run support. Today with the use of TE's and running backs in the pass game. Some linebackers need to be able to cover backs and TE's. JOK can do that.

Linebackers are getting smaller and faster and need to cover. Others are specializing in pass rush like Devin White and Parsons.

JOK struggled some last year. Part of that was because guards and centers were getting to the second level and blocking. Some of it was bad angles. Some because of failures in gap responsibilities.

I think this year will be a different story.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by bonefish

The game and position changes. The linebacker position has become more about passing support than run support. Today with the use of TE's and running backs in the pass game. Some linebackers need to be able to cover backs and TE's. JOK can do that.

Linebackers are getting smaller and faster and need to cover. Others are specializing in pass rush like Devin White and Parsons.

This.

I thought last year would be JOK's break out year. Even before the injury, maybe Woods wasn't utilizing him correctly. I don't know.

The truth is that whether we have 2 or 3 LBs back there, they need to learn how to tackle better.

Imo

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Legend
Legend
My take on defense is based upon the integrity of the unit.

The secondary(the back unit), the linebackers (middle defense), and the "front unit" (DL).

The units are dependent upon each player contributing to the unit play. The front unit must apply pressure and protect the gaps.

The "middle unit" has to protect the middle in pass coverage and support the DL in gap protection.

The "back unit" acts like an umbrella. Deep protection, boundary protection, and middle support.

Last year the front unit was inconsistent and it led to the failure of the defense as a whole. Myles was the front. The interior stunk. The opposite edge to Myles did little.

The front unit failure caused problems in the middle unit and the back unit.

Enter Schwartz. Schwartz gets with Berry. The defense is upgraded. They immediately upgraded the front unit. And then adjusted the back unit.

I think they looked at linebacker and felt it was ok. That conclusion was reached because they identified the front nuit as the problem.

I think it will be clear as a crystal when we see this defense play. Versus what we saw last year.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by bonefish
My take on defense is based upon the integrity of the unit.

The secondary(the back unit), the linebackers (middle defense), and the "front unit" (DL).

The units are dependent upon each player contributing to the unit play. The front unit must apply pressure and protect the gaps.

The "middle unit" has to protect the middle in pass coverage and support the DL in gap protection.

The "back unit" acts like an umbrella. Deep protection, boundary protection, and middle support.

Last year the front unit was inconsistent and it led to the failure of the defense as a whole. Myles was the front. The interior stunk. The opposite edge to Myles did little.

The front unit failure caused problems in the middle unit and the back unit.

Enter Schwartz. Schwartz gets with Berry. The defense is upgraded. They immediately upgraded the front unit. And then adjusted the back unit.

I think they looked at linebacker and felt it was ok. That conclusion was reached because they identified the front nuit as the problem.

I think it will be clear as a crystal when we see this defense play. Versus what we saw last year.
None of that is the problem

the "Coordinator>>>Ness," coordination of the offense is the chief problem
AND
they've don't little or nothing to fix it since "head coach" got hired in 2020.

That will be the main contributor to you remaining in 4th place in the afc north, and welcome to the vacuum. another year of fixing the wrong things, not seeing the forrest for the tree frogs
yippee, go team, hooray. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard