Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
P
Legend
Legend
P
And the one of you sees it differently.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
I'm gonna have to say "getting the type of players a coach wants" is simply as good as any FO can do. You look at some of the players Berry brought in and they are fine. I blame the scheme and the way Woods called plays. I believe other defensive coordinators would have got more out of the same group of players. jm2c.

Yep. With the only exceptions being:

You have the #1 pick in the draft.
You are prepared to way overdraft someone.
You are willing to give away more assets than the player would be worth to others.
You are willing to overpay player.

And you'll usually have to do two or more of these things to get it done.

Last edited by FATE; 05/21/23 01:29 PM. Reason: added quote since page changed

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
I'm gonna have to say "getting the type of players a coach wants" is simply as good as any FO can do.

Maybe then you can understand why I found this to be quite confusing and asked for an explanation.....

In plain english I told you the Browns got Players that Woods wanted, ones who fit his criteria. You then want to blame the front office for not getting Woods players he wanted when they DID.

You look at some of the players Berry brought in and they are fine.

That's certainly true. I'm not the one trying to use a good guy verses bad guy scenario here. As with all NFL GM's there will be hits and misses. There will be certain positions they will do well on and certain positions and players they won't do so well on. It's just the nature of the beast.

I blame the scheme and the way Woods called plays. I believe other defensive coordinators would have got more out of the same group of players. jm2c.

And you have every right to that opinion. I also believe he could have done better with better talent on the interior of the DL and LB'er groups. For me it's a combination of both and not the entire fault of one or the other.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
How many times are you going to bring up Schwartz when we are talking about Joe Woods and the defense. notallthere notallthere

Now our DT's since 2020 Bryan 291 pounds
Elliot 303 pounds
Stills 295 pounds
Togiai 296 pounds
Winfrey 292 pounds
Day 294 pounds
McDowell 295 pounds
Oganjobi 305 pounds
Richardson 290 pounds

Behind them we had

JOK 220 pounds soaking wet
Fields 220 pounds
Davis 224 pounds
Smith 225 pounds
Harvey 5'11 230 pounds
Walker 235
Jones 227
Takitaki 238 pounds

Smaller faster guys. Now if you want to blast the front office for getting the type of players Woods wanted and those 220 pound LB's and 290 pound DT's could not stop 330 pound O-lineman from running all over them then the fault is with Woods system, not the front office. It doesn;t mean we had bad players it means the guys were to lite to stop the running game. Now if you want to blast the front office for things they deserve being blasted for go right ahead you won't hear a peep from me, but to blame them for this ... nope I'm not buying that even if it's buy one for a penny and get ten free.

Got work to do buddy. If you reply I will get back with you tomorrow thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The 4-3 defense uses smaller, faster interior DL players so not having huge bodies in there isn't that unusual. Much like yourself I'm not a big fan of not having some fatties up front but it's not uncommon.

330 pound O linemen? In today's NFL, sure you still have some of those, but the trend is to use the ZBS. As such the OL is usually lighter than than your stated 330#. The Browns as we both know run that same scheme...

Jack Conklin 308#
Joel Bitonio 320#
Wyatt Teller 315#
Jedrick Wills 307#

Heck the Browns have had Chris Hubbard as the primary backup at the OT position for some time and he is 295#.

You see, there are two main types of OL's in the NFL. The mauling, straight ahead type and the ZBS type. So no matter how you slice it, there is no one size fits all for an interior DL that will fit to be great against both. You need faster, more athletic types to defend against a ZBS and a more physical interior DL to defend against a mauling type of OL front. Obviously Woods defensive interior was designed to be better at the ZBS. Having those large bodies up front will make you weak against a ZBS because that speed and athleticism is lost.

And no, I certainly think that getting both your OC and DC the type of players they need to run their scheme a good thing. If you aren't going to do that why would you hire them in the first place? That certainly isn't the point I have been making all along is that no matter "the type of player" you get to fill a position, that player has to be talented enough to do the job. My contention has been that while the players Woods was given certainly fills "the type of players" he wanted, The talent level of those players as it pertains to the LB'ers and interior of the DL were sorely lacking.

I believe Woods could have done better with the talent he was given but i also think it would have been a huge help if he had been given better talent.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Andrew Berry’s Plan: Making defense faster while not crushing salary cap – Terry’s Talkin’ Browns

Updated: Mar. 21, 2021, 5:55 a.m.

LINK

ANDREW BERRY’S PLAN

No doubt, the Browns GM and his staff have far more revealing numbers that these, but here are some basics about the defense against the pass:

1. The Browns entered free agency knowing their pass defense was awful a year ago. The raw stats had them 22nd in passing yards allowed.

2. As ESPN Stats & Info reported: “The Browns allowed 15 touchdown on passes thrown 15-plus yards downfield last season, which was tied with the Cowboys for most in the league.”

3. That matched the eye test: The Browns gave up a lot of big passing plays. I checked the stats and discovered they ranked 24th out of 32 teams in giving up passes of at least 40 yards in 2020. They also ranked 24th in TD passes allowed.

4. And this from ESPN: “Browns safeties allowed 12 passing touchdowns last year when they were the nearest defender in coverage, most in the NFL. John Johnson’s 61 targets as the nearest defender in coverage was 3rd-most this season among safeties. And he allowed only one touchdown.”

5. Those numbers explain why the Browns put a bigger emphasis on their secondary than the defensive line.

CLICK LINK TO READ MORE

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
It seems your contention is the scheme was fine - the type of players Woods wanted was fine... and the failure was Berry/FO not getting stud muffins to fill the positions and that the reason Woods schemed failed is the players ability (Berry's fault) not that the scheme was flawed.

I disagree. I think most disagree. Maybe Woods named specific players? IDK - but getting smaller faster players per his agenda/scheme and having the scheme fail (how I see it) is not on Berry. jmo.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
330 pound O linemen? In today's NFL, sure you still have some of those, but the trend is to use the ZBS. As such the OL is usually lighter than than your stated 330#. The Browns as we both know run that same scheme...

Jack Conklin 308#
Joel Bitonio 320#
Wyatt Teller 315#
Jedrick Wills 307#

1st off you were talking about DT, not DE so yes the OT's are not as big, but it's the interior offensive lineman that do most of the blocking on DT, Joel 320 pounds, and Teller 315 pounds, and Pocic 320 pounds at center. Put them up against two 290 pound DT's and watch them run all over them all day long. Plus the average DT in the nfl weighs in at 310 pounds. Also look at the players we added this year

Hill 310 pounds
Hurst 290 pounds
IKA 358 pounds
Tomlinson 325 pounds

Schwartz wanted more beef in the middle of the Defense. Woods wanted less. That's as plain as the nose on your face. You already saw the results with Woods in charge. now we can watch and see how this all works with Schwartz.

I believe Woods could have done better with the talent he was given but i also think it would have been a huge help if he had been given better talent.

LOL That could be said about every single Coach who ever had a job in the NFL, collage, high school, Jr High, and Little league.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Stud muffins? No, just average to above average talent at those positions.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let's see how they perform against the ZBS before we start tooting any horns here. And I see you still overstated that 330# claim. It's odd how you totally ignored most of what I posted in your response.

I do understand how it's easier to blame Woods for the poor talent he was given on the interior of the DL than admit that was a major contributing factor to the product on the field.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Let's see how they perform against the ZBS before we start tooting any horns here. And I see you still overstated that 330# claim. It's odd how you totally ignored most of what I posted in your response.

I do understand how it's easier to blame Woods for the poor talent he was given on the interior of the DL than admit that was a major contributing factor to the product on the field.

I used 330 pounds as an example. Did I look it up? NOPE if you want exact the average weight of NFL guards was 315.88 pounds last year.
The average weight of centers was 306.2 pounds.
Average weight of DT's last year 308.7 pounds
Average weight of LB's in the nfl 240.7 pounds

How does that stack up against the Browns?

Cleveland DT's last season averaged 296 pounds with 4 of six of the players in the lower 290's one player at 300 pounds, and one at 303 pounds.
Our Linebackers? 228 pounds on average with no starters of backups over 238 pounds.

As for tooting any horns I already said "Schwartz wanted more beef in the middle of the Defense. Woods wanted less. That's as plain as the nose on your face. You already saw the results with Woods in charge. now we can watch and see how this all works with Schwartz.

Now compare tat to a good defense like the Eagles were 9 of the 11 d-lineman on their roster last season were over 300 pounds with an average weight of 313 pounds.
Linebackers averaged 238 pounds with 4 linebackers over 240 pounds.

P
Legend
Legend
P
By using the average weights you are getting a mix of exactly what I described. Weights combined from both ZBS schemed OL's combined with straight ahead mauling OL's which are comprised of heavier players.

The same goes for interior DL players. You're using the average weights which are comprised of the more physical, bigger interior DL's built mainly to play against those mauling, larger sized OL's and the smaller, more agile DL interiors comprised of players to defend mainly against ZBS OL's.

I saw the results of woods in charge given the interior DL players he was given to work with. You keep leaving out that very important part.

The best way I can think of to maybe make you better understand what I'm talking about is what Mike Shanahan did in the 1990's. If you recall he seemed to be able to "insert RB here" and get great run production from all of them no matter who it was. The reason for that was something rather new at the time. The ZBS. His OL players were so light compared to typical OL players at the time it sounded crazy to think it would work.

As such they were very successful blocking against those slow, fat guys who lacked he agility and athleticism to keep up with those shifts by his OL. The answer to counter that was to get quicker, lighter players on the interior of your DL who could do that. They made those fat guys look clumsy trying to block those shifts that require the speed, footwork and agility to do so.

So yes, if you combine the smaller, faster DL's with the big plodding DL's all across the league, you come up with the average weights you have posted.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It all depends on the type of team that you are going up against.

The light and fast works well against a ZBS and for pass happy teams, but wears out when the opponent plays smash mouth football.

You have a bunch of players, and you need players that can function in heavy packages as well as light and fast.

The Browns were very vulnerable against a smash mouth team last year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
It is no revelation to say Myles Garrett is a great player. He was the first pick in the draft.

PFF affirms his production. He is the Browns best player. Physically he can do things others can not do. The cliche fits. He is a freak of nature.

You don't see guys his size move like Myles can. He can bend the edge like no other. He is nightmare to block. I have never seen a player held more than Myles.

With all of that stated. This season could be his best. For the first time as a Brown. He has a supporting cast that should free him up.

There is a legit rotation at DT. There is a legit rotation at DE. There is a deep and talented secondary that should excel at man coverage.

These additions and developments should release Myles. Teams will not be able dedicate tag teams to mug him. Good man coverage should bring split seconds to aid in sacks.

Having depth rotation should keep players fresh. Myles should benefit on passing downs late in games as O-Linemen wear down.

In addition if our offense is dynamic and can sustain drives and score more points. It gives the defense more rest. It could in addition put teams behind and force them to throw to stay in games. Clear passing downs is releasing the hounds.

Last point is the difference Jim Schwartz brings. He is all about pressure from the front. He knows how to create it. He was given authority on the decisions to bring in defensive players. Guys we brought in were approved by Schwartz.

This could be the year that Myles wins DPOY.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Don't care about Miles and DPOY- real bottomline is Ws vs Ds- I'm very happy with D changes in style and personnel- now get it done on the field when it counts. The time is now---not wait till next year.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
T
Legend
Legend
T
The book is out on Myles, chip block him with a RB.
If the play goes to the outside on Myles' side just let Myles upfield into the backfield, and throw or run around him to his side for a gain.
no?

I think teams will still double team Myles and make another rusher try to get pressure on their @uarterback.

Garrett never holds back and does not rush, he can always be counted on to rush so you always know where he is.
no?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Hopefully JS will not waste him dropping him into coverage. Teach him several moves rushing. I believe, that as good as MG is and as much as I love his game, there is untapped upside remaining. I hope JS can find it and develop it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Schwartz has a good reputation and lots of premier experience.

We have some talent on defense.

I kinda feel comfortable with the offense. At least I have a good idea of what to expect. I know the players well and feel pretty good about how DW will play.

I don't feel the same about the defense. It is not that I don't think they can be good. It is more about I don't know how they will play.

Lot of guys I have not seen much of. And for sure do not know how they will play together.

B
Legend
Legend
B
A key guy on D is Hurst IMO. The guy is pretty dad gum good. If he can stay on the field, which has been , we have a good shot at being very good on D.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I posted about unit play on defense.

I really believe in what I wrote. But in the end the defense has to play together.

It really is about doing your job inside your unit.

I was really excited about hiring Jim Schwartz. He is a proven guy.

I am hopeful because of his hiring. We have added players. The overall talent is at least average or above. Jim Schwartz has to mold the units together.

We still have to prove what kind of defense we will be.

Legend
Legend
I share those concerns and feelings. A vital job we have after re-tooling with some hopefully nifty pickups and embracing an aggressive D and coach, and help for the O,is what I will call triage. Looking at how we lost, why we lost, and did so in the same way over and over, is to stop the bleeding first, then decide what should be saved. Prioritize corrections and teaching, but stop repeated losses due to personnel failures and lack of adjustments. Upgrade personnel. Get fiercely hungry to win. I think defensive play is a barometer to measure both sides of the ball and their motivation. We have enough now to do that. I hope Ski shows more improvement. So does Haslam, I suspect.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Excellent point this season come down to this.
DESHAUN has never beaten Burrows or Lamar if that happens
Again season over.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
As I have said over and over. Woods defense system caused the defense to play slow. To much thinking and not enough reacting, or forcing the offense to react.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes you did. I remember.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
If we can control the run, I expect the Browns to have a top 10 defense.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we control the run it'll be the first time in Lord knows when.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sometimes I get disinterested in posting but I usually read the board regularly. I haven't seen many posts that describe details of Swartz's scheme. But there is information out there that should provide insight. Some of these articles are long so I won't post them in their entirety. I'll just give the link. They are really worth reading.

One thing I will say is that Swartz's scheme is based on pressuring the QB not stopping the run. This can't be disputed because it comes directly from his own mouth. Run stopping is a by-product of his scheme, not the aim.
Jim Swartz doesn't care about being #1 aginst the run.

Swartz does put a priority on the D line at the core of his scheme.
Getting pressure without blitzing

More D line emphasis with D5 front. He will mix in a 5-D linemen front in certain situations.
Saw it in Philly, it's coming to the Browns.

Expect a lot more man and a lot less zone coverage. ( I think this is sprinkled into several of the above articles.)

IMO, the LBs we have now will be fine in this defense.

To execute this properly we're going to need 9-10 DL

Last edited by guard dawg; 06/01/23 04:05 PM. Reason: Add final point
1 member likes this: FATE
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We have a top-notch DC in JS and also a HC in waiting if things don't work out with KS, although I hope they do.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I get not posting. Sometimes this Board can get really frustrating.

Thanks for the links.

In Schwartz's recent presser. He was very clear. Be physical and apply pressure. "I might rotate 8 or 9 guys." The point is keep the pressure on by keeping the D-linemen fresh.

If you use a down 5 and you are using stunts the by product will be stopping the run. The DE's can come down the backside and still get the runner if the inside gaps are closed or pressure is coming up the gap.

Schwartz has seen it all. He worked with Belichick, and Saban. He knows defensive football.

The scheme will be solid. I just want to see the players in the scheme. I am hopeful. But you never know. You have to go there and get it done.

Legend
Legend
Wasn't Schwartz a 'Slappy,' from the good ol' days?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by guard dawg
Sometimes I get disinterested in posting but I usually read the board regularly. I haven't seen many posts that describe details of Swartz's scheme. But there is information out there that should provide insight. Some of these articles are long so I won't post them in their entirety. I'll just give the link. They are really worth reading.

One thing I will say is that Swartz's scheme is based on pressuring the QB not stopping the run. This can't be disputed because it comes directly from his own mouth. Run stopping is a by-product of his scheme, not the aim.
Jim Swartz doesn't care about being #1 aginst the run.

Swartz does put a priority on the D line at the core of his scheme.
Getting pressure without blitzing

More D line emphasis with D5 front. He will mix in a 5-D linemen front in certain situations.
Saw it in Philly, it's coming to the Browns.

Expect a lot more man and a lot less zone coverage. ( I think this is sprinkled into several of the above articles.)

IMO, the LBs we have now will be fine in this defense.

To execute this properly we're going to need 9-10 DL

Thanks for that.

Living in Tennesse, I have watched the Titans since they moved from Houston. If I have a 2nd team, the Titans would probably be the team between them, the Falcons, and Bucs.

I was always impressed with the Titans D when Schwartz was the coordinator. It didn't hurt that he had BIG Albert Haynesworth, but it was always about pressuring the QB. That was the first step for his linemen, then adjust to the run.

A guy like Haynesworth was always going to be a top player, but I do think a DC like Schwartz brought out the best in his linemen. I think he will do that here as well.

I never really thought about it until reading about it some time later, but his wide DE sets almost automatically set the edge on run plays starting on wide splits and pinching in towards the projected QB depth in the pocket. It's hard for a back to get around them without dipping 4-5 yards deeper in to the backfield to get around the DE's. They usually have to try to cut inside the DE right in towards the LB's. This makes the LB's job much easier knowing where the back is going to go without dipping deep, more or less making a 3rd and 3 situation in to a 3rd and 8 run.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
OP Online
Legend
You got me there. Not familiar with that term?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
Sometimes this Board can get really frustrating.

It certainly can. What with all of the flowers and the smell of cheap perfume.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
You can not help yourself from from trying to dig and make snide remarks.

buzz off

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you can now actually rent a sense of humor from your local Home Depot or Sunbelt Rental location. Lighten up man.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
You got me there. Not familiar with that term?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...al-more-about-belichick-than-the-browns/

Turns out, I was right.

Slappies were Belichick's staff. They lived @ the facility, and did anything and everything they were asked.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
OP Online
Legend
OK.

Got it. I watched a special on Saban.

B
Legend
Legend
B

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard