Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Hey everyone,

I obviously haven't posted here in a while, but - perhaps out of desperation - this is something that I think everyone needs to see. I have been screaming about this for a while, often fighting the notion that we need to pump more money into our defense funding, because that is not the issue. The issue is affordability. The more money we pump into defense, unfortunately the most significant outcome of that is heavily increased profit margins from a monopolized, uncompetitive industry. We heavily outspend our adversaries already, but if you look at the "bang for the buck" that other countries get compared to ours, the gap grows narrower. I'll just say that if China suddenly realized that one of its defense producers was raking in margins the likes of Transdigm, there would be legit "consequences."

I know the odds are heavy that this does not lead to a productive discourse, as that seems to be a sign of the times, but I would be more remiss and regretful if I did not at least try to get this word spread, as it really should not be a politically divisive issue.

For what it's worth, I briefed Shay Assad on multiple occasions for various things. He was rather aggressive and caught the ire of the industry. They put forth a lot of effort to discredit him and run a smear campaign, which eventually caught some traction. That does not, however, detract from his message and the accuracy of what he delivers in this interview. I see it on a daily basis.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/weapon...ntagon-60-minutes-transcript-2023-05-21/

Take care.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I knew a little about this, the story on 60 Minutes last night certainly opened my eyes to a lot that I didn't know. I found it posted on youtube so I thought I would share it here. And you're 100% right that the high cost of our military spending can be tied directly into this......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
P
Legend
Legend
P
Fox News Host Confronts GOP Senator on Pentagon's Fifth Failed Audit

A Fox News host confronted Republican Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas about the Pentagon's fifth failed audit as he was discussing the debt ceiling deal.

Fox News Sunday host Shannon Bream spoke with Cotton on Sunday about concerns related to defense spending that could be reduced if "waste and fraud" were addressed at the Defense Department, which has now failed its audit five times in a row.

She pointed out that Congress gives the Pentagon more money each year instead of demanding "responsible financial management" and that there are "millions, possibly billions of dollars in wasted money" within the government agency.

"Is there money there that could be helpful to these concerns you have?" Bream asked Cotton. The GOP senator responded by saying that there are opportunities for the Pentagon to reform, especially when it comes to the way it procures weapon systems.

"However, if you're talking millions and billions in reform, we're talking about tens of billions at a minimum and additional needs to deter China and deter Iran, and deter Russia," he added. "We've seen this happen in the past in the Trump era, secretaries were able to find savings and then their savings returned back into procurement of more aircraft and ships and vehicles."

Cotton on Sunday confirmed that the "Pentagon can find savings but not savings to match and offset the cuts in this [debt deal] bill, or the threats that we face from countries like China and Iran and Russia." The Republican senator on Thursday filed an amendment to the debt ceiling package to prevent further cuts to "critical" defense spending.

On Thursday the Senate voted 63-36 to send a bill raising the U.S. borrowing limit to President Joe Biden's desk, ending monthslong negotiations between Republicans and Democrats who were trying to find solutions that would satisfy both sides and prevent the country from defaulting on its debts.

The final deal reduces the national debt by $1.5 trillion, with roughly $1.3 trillion of the savings stemming from instituting caps on non-defense discretionary spending for fiscal years 2024 and 2025. Spending for 2024 will remain around current levels, and 2025 spending cannot be raised by more than 1 percent.

The bill also curbs federal spending that would include possibly cutting out $16 billion worth of lower-priority defense items such as tanks and helicopter upgrades that would usually be included in the defense budget, according to Reuters.

In March, the GOP-led House Committee on Oversight and Accountability said it wanted to investigate the Defense Department for "failing to prevent waste, fraud, and abuse" following its fifth audit failure last November.

The Pentagon was unable to account for around 61 percent of its assets, The Hill reported at the time, citing Pentagon Comptroller Mike McCord.

The fifth audit failure comes after 1,600 auditors looked into the department's $3.5 trillion worth of assets and $3.7 trillion in liabilities. McCord said at the time that the Defense Department had a "clean" audit, but "failed to get an 'A.'" A federal law requires all agencies to undergo mandatory audits, and since fiscal year 2013 all federal government agencies were able to satisfy that requirement except for the Pentagon.

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-h...8vPdO-VEJfRNXeg_HoXBY8rLUarp6LlkRgHGwPT4

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Defense Industry Price Gouging

Link Copied to Clipboard