Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Legend
Legend
Lol. He talked about that at his PC right after he was hired. Great story!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland...dc-jim-schwartz-making-his-presence-felt

'He's holding us to that standard': Browns DC Jim Schwartz making his presence felt

New defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has been tasked with turning around an underperforming, yet talented, defense in Cleveland. AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki

Jake Trotter, ESPN Staff Writer
Jun 5, 2023, 06:00 AM ET
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
BEREA, Ohio -- During Wednesday’s OTA practice, new Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz stood by the center on almost every 7-on-7 snap.

“Just trying to hear guys communicate,” Schwartz said afterward. “To have a little presence out there.”

The veteran coach and former Super Bowl-winning defensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles has been tasked with revamping a Browns defense that finished 20th in efficiency last season. And whether it’s been his booming voice, him curiously wearing the No. 51 jersey of hard-working backup linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk, or the schematic changes he’s been implementing in recent weeks, Schwartz is visibly putting his imprint on Cleveland’s defense heading into minicamp.

“We need to be coached up,” said Pro Bowl cornerback Denzel Ward. “It’s good criticism. Just guys got to be out here knowing what they’re supposed to do and doing our job, and he’s making sure that he’s holding us to that standard.”

Despite a talented overall unit in 2022, Cleveland’s defense never coalesced under coordinator Joe Woods, contributing to the Browns’ disappointing 7-10 finish. The secondary blew numerous coverages in key situations, from the Week 1 opener against the Carolina Panthers to the season-finale loss at the Pittsburgh Steelers. Communication, among other things, has been a point of emphasis for Schwartz this offseason, underscoring why he’s often been coaching from the center snap.

“You have to really feel the players,” Schwartz said. “We’re learning the players and we’re learning their different personalities and we’re learning where they’re going to need to be pushed, where things are going to fall. So it’s a learning experience for us [coaches] too. And I like to be out there, just in the mix, and think there’s a lot of good information out there.”

One way Schwartz hopes to eliminate breakdowns in the secondary next season is by simplifying the coverages. For all their struggles last season, the Browns ranked No. 1 in opposing QBR defense when in man coverage. With Schwartz looking to unleash his defensive front on opposing quarterbacks, Cleveland should be in man coverage far more this season; the Browns were in man on 45.5% of opponents' dropbacks last season. Schwartz says he believes his cornerback trio of Ward, former first-round pick Greg Newsome II and reigning all-rookie performer Martin Emerson Jr. will be up to that challenge.

Led by All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett, Cleveland's defense will be on the attack in 2023. Photo by Lee Coleman/Icon Sportswire
“We’ve got good corners,” Schwartz said, “and we’re going to rely on those guys.”

Schwartz hasn’t been vague as to why.

“I won’t keep any secrets,” he said, before admitting that the Browns will be sending at least five pass-rushers after the quarterback on almost every play.

And unlike in past seasons in Cleveland, Schwartz says he’s aiming to feature a defensive line rotation of at least nine players in hopes of keeping them all fresh through the fourth quarter -- with the goal of creating far more sacks, tackles for loss and, ultimately, turnovers.

“The tempo that we want those guys to play, we want to need to rotate fresh troops in,” he said. “Offensive lines don’t sub, but we can. We can keep the pressure on.”

The Browns failed to create negative plays last year, despite featuring All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett. Cleveland ranked just 27th in the league with 34 sacks (with Garrett alone accounting for 16 of those); the Browns were also just 21st in interceptions (11) and 22nd in forced fumbles (11).

“I first came in and he was telling me all the things that he wanted me to do,” said Pro Bowl defensive end Za'Darius Smith, whom the Browns landed in a trade with the Minnesota Vikings before the start of OTAs. “He was like, ‘Man, we just need you to get off the ball.'”

Smith won’t be the only one -- that much is clear. The Browns won’t be hanging back in 2023. Schwartz’s presence won’t allow it.

“We want to be physical, and we want to have a little personality,” Schwartz said. “All the good defenses have those things. Those are the things that we’re going to emphasize as we go.”

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We needed to and did add some solid players to our roster for this coming season, but the biggest and most important addition just might be Jim Schwartz. He's a top notch DC and is well respected. You can see the positive affect he's already having on our team just in the article.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hiring Schwartz was more than hiring a DC.

He was hired to fix the defense. That and he was given authority to do that in personnel decisions. Maybe not directly but for sure indirectly.

The players added came with his stamp of approval.

I am comfortable with the offense. At least I think I have a feel for what we will do and how it is being planned.

The defense is where we have to make a difference. We have to be a better defense to get anywhere. We have some talent.

I think we have the coach. It is a matter of going out and doing it on the field.

I like that Schwartz is really hands on. He wants to hear and see the defense work. I knew he would not tolerate communication excuses.

When it come to playing personality. I am all about the the Schwartz approach. Pressure. And then more pressure. You have to bring it on every down and you have to keep players fresh.

Looking forward to seeing this defense play.

2 members like this: guard dawg, Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
We needed to and did add some solid players to our roster for this coming season, but the biggest and most important addition just might be Jim Schwartz. He's a top notch DC and is well respected. You can see the positive affect he's already having on our team just in the article.

eh, it's also just that time of year where the articles highlight the positive spin to build excitement. None of it counts for anything at all until they get it done against an opponent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Much better for you to deliver that message than me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Purp I understand what you're saying. I have a good feeling about JS and as always hoping for the best.

1 member likes this: guard dawg
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. Schwartz brings a Super Bowl pedigree with him along with a proven system and prior head coaching experience. He is precisely what this team needed. Can’t recall anyone being excited about what Joe Woods was bringing, nobody really knew. Now we know and we should be very pleased and excited for the changes and upgrades to our roster. When it’s June and we are on here talking about it says a LOT. Where are our holes on this team vs others? I think we are in good shape and have a very open window to Win NOW.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually at the time Woods was hired many people were excited about it. He had extensive NFL defensive coaching experience. Not quite the pedigree of Schwartz no doubt. Every time new coaches at any high level are hired people get excited about it and are here talking about it in June. People are posting all of the feel good articles in June about everything and hope springs eternal every year in June. Sometimes later justifiably so and sometimes not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer BOWL!

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Purp I understand what you're saying. I have a good feeling about JS and as always hoping for the best.

It's the time of year where everyone has "a good feeling" about [insert a new guy's name].
It's just part of the annual cycle.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rottweiller
brings a Super Bowl pedigree with him along with a proven system and prior head coaching experience. He is precisely what this team needed.

Just like that Walrus Guy.

I understand the desire for hope and hype, but none of this is anything we haven't seen a bunch of times over, already, and absolutely none of it is assurance of any sort of a positive outcome.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by Rottweiller
brings a Super Bowl pedigree with him along with a proven system and prior head coaching experience. He is precisely what this team needed.

Just like that Walrus Guy.

I understand the desire for hope and hype, but none of this is anything we haven't seen a bunch of times over, already, and absolutely none of it is assurance of any sort of a positive outcome.

Well, with all that said... aren't we way overdue?!

[Linked Image from media1.giphy.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: guard dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer BROWNS!........YEAH!

IYKYK.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: FrankZ, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer BROWNS!........YEAH!

IYKYK.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: FATE, MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
Legend
M
rofl

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
What you typed is TRUE.....but, ain't it nice hearing the guys say they like and RESPECT the DC....and he'll hold them accountable......sweet. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.brownsnation.com/rodney-mcleod-makes-his-thoughts-clear-about-jim-schwartz/

McLeod has played for Schwartz. So he knows exactly what to expect on a day to day basis.

Players have been added to fit the scheme and McLeod is one of them. It is clear listening to him and Dalvin Tomlinson that Schwartz has the defense's full attention.

Expectations at this time of year are going to be optimistic. But Schwartz has been in the league a long time. He has a track record and reputation so I think we should know what to expect from him.

The primary thing is I believe will be discipline. Players will know precisely what they are expected to do. And he will get on players. Accountability will be part of what he will bring to the team.

I am super curious to see how the team plays under his coaching.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Perrion W will get his chance to be a Brown.....guess the front office called it right. Hope he's grown up some--although I hate seeing him out at 3AM and getting robbed----he must have gotten great education cuz it sure seems he's hell bent to give up his professional football career.....time will tell if he sticks. Good Luck.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
There's been a lot of media focus on the offense and rightly so. In mini-camp with all the 7-on-7 work. But the defense has been working. Here are some looks at what the Swartz D-Line has been doing to transform that unit. I find it both interesting and encouraging.

I like how teaching what Swartz wants from his D-line has meshed with the competitive nature of the players.
Ball get-off.

I appreciate the insights of Coach Bloom telling us how the players are responding during individual sessions.

2 members like this: Clemdawg, FATE
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Thanks for the video

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
D liked by our D, BUT is this system vulnerable to SCREEN game? Flying to QB is fun, but dump off seems pretty easy counter? Thoughts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Of course, it goes without saying, but that won't stop me from saying it, lol. The team is competing at the highest level of professional sports. There will be plays made against our defense. Opponents will move the ball. I think it's safe to say that the aim of the defense is to reduce, measurably, the amount of offensive production opponents have against our defensive unit. We'll have to accept that opposing offenses will make plays. I"m hopeful that Schwartz will be better at making adjustments as needed.

With that out of the way, I found an article that illustrates how Schwartz has deployed his defense in previous seasons. I'm sure there's been some evolution since some of these observations were made but it's what is available to make an educated guess about how the 2023 Browns defense will operate.

JIm Schwartz's attack defense.

Hitt, specifically to your question about being susceptible to the screen. Look at "Shot 3", involving Mario Williams. It does not specifically show Buffallo (when Schwartz ran their defense), defending a screen. But it does give some indication of the Linebacker's responsibility (look at #53) when the ends are rushing hard upfield. Although not shown, I would think the Corners or Safties would also have some responsibilities for players in the flat.

Also, take a look at "Shot 15) ironically involving the Browns, Admittedly this is a pitch to (Cribbs?) not a screen but the DE is rushing aggressively upfield with an inside rush. The Linebacker has to replace the DE by getting outside quick, fast and in a hurry. This is what our Linebackers will be tasked to do.

Overall, this article from the archives of the Eagles website contains some tangible evidence on how our D will be expected to play.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Judge JS for JS system as played and as called. Improve our D means better personnel, more aggression, more disruption, less cushion, fewer long conversions to name PART of the list. But it reduces to making the offense perform and execute while you inject chaos into as many steps of their play as possible and hopefully capitalize on a breakdown. A D which scores more than we have for some time could be helpful too. I agree with the above, and know that screens can be devastating, amply proved by Landry years back. Going to get beat by some things, but your approach will hopefully exact more for your efforts and standard pressure, a kind of Vanilla Crush
standard for a norm, I am excited to see a defense teams have to prepare for and visits more grief on them throughout a game, especially in our division.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When I start thinking about a subject, could be work, personal or football random questions pop up in my head. So I started thinking about defending the screen pass and I wondered if there were any stats that show teams' effectiveness against the screen specifically. I did a superficial search and didn't find those stats. If anybody is interested and finding that data I'd appreciate them sharing it here.

What I did find was a link to the Joe Daniels Football System which lays out how he coaches offensive and defensive schemes. So I asked myself, "Self, who is Joe Daniels?" Self had no answer so I Googled it. This is the answer I received.

Joe Daniels was a football coach in the National Football League (NFL) from 1983 to 1991, finishing his career as the quarterbacks coach of the Cleveland Browns. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyway, this coach says that screens are an extension of the run game, the crux of defending the screen is by run fits. At first, this seemed a little counterintuitive but essentially his system says that DL recognition is a key to stopping screens. I'll leave the details in the link I'm including here.

Defending the screen pass

There is an embedded podcast on that page as well that might be interesting to some.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Basically we are going to be short passed to death then when we switch
To pasrushers everyone will run on us.
This team as it is currently constructed will surrender 25 to 30 points agame.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I went to look if Elliott was under contract for 2024,
and found this article which is bull, and written in june so about ten days ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/jordan-elliott-deal-means-browns-need-starter

The premise of the article is the Browns got nothing but @uestion marks when they brought in Trysten Hill, and Maurice Hurst so that they still have Nothing, except Dalvin Tomlinson in the middle,
and that Ika, = nothing, and all the Browns have is a hole and restructuring Elliotts deal proved it, or was proof.

The article is complete and total bull by Pete Pri> what's his name because Hill, and Hurst, and even Elliott,
now with people to stand next to are going to be something.
and NOT only, is the article wrong on whether the Browns addressed the DL already, it's also wrong about who the team would try to get to clear waivers because Hill and Hurst did NOT get brought in only to try and clear waivers later while Perion was doing everything a team could ever ask.

The ONLY way, he could be right on his point would be if the Browns tried to restructure the player from 2022, that had an R in his first and last name if I recall correctly. or the other one, if there was one. and there was nothing to restructure of them anyway, they were "future contracts" players at best in 2022, and that's the point.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
If I'd follow the Titans media I'd have heard they have a way to address this, they say Vrabel has 2 nickel packages, one for the short pass play and one for the deep pass play.
And the Browns have more talent than them, so, is it coaching?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That is a bold statement. However, anyone can say anything.

Based upon what? How are we basically constructed? And how will that lead to giving up 25 to 30 points a game?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Right Bone exactly. Now I'll make an assessment. We obviously haven't played a down with all our new players and coaches. Games aren't won on paper but we do look better on both sides of the ball. We won 7 games last year and IMO, should have won 9. With any type of improvement on either side of the ball we should increase that win total by 3-4 games. Every year there is a surprise team. Let me be optimistic for once with my Browns and say this season it could very well be us.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
How we are constructed is going to lead to giving up 25 to 30 points a game?

We have not seen how we are constructed. All we know is the history of Jim Schwartz.

Schwartz has not coached this team yet. We don't know how they will play.

Talent wise PFF graded our lines elite. That is both lines. We have a talented and deep secondary. There could be some questions at linebacker.

I am cautiously optimistic.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. I'm just voicing my opinion. It doesn't mean I'll be right. I like what I see but like I said we haven't played a down yet. But to say we're going to give up 25-30 points a game is a little extreme. WE weren't very good on D last year and didn't give up that much.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Schwartz might be the best coaching hire for the Browns in decades. We have talent, plugged gaping holes on the D line and safety in the off-season and we are set at corner.

JS knows how to get the best out of guys who can fit in with what he wants to do. And I get the feeling he won’t put up with slack-ass BS, either. Our D will be significantly better this year imo.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: Homewood Dog, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
That's how I feel. More encouraged by JS signing than any other move this off season.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I like what I see as well. SB on paper talk is premature. So is giving up 30 per game. We have talent in many areas, some of which you noted. It will be a JS defense as it is run by JS which can preserve wins and improve records. If LB play surprises to the upside, could be fun this year. Getting JS is huge! Someone noted we would need about 120 more points scored to compete with the best teams for the top. Just feel it should be pointed out that the number can be jiggered; we do not need that many points if we have brutal defensive efforts to limit that number. No pads and snaps yet, but I really feel we can be much better in a number of directions, all of which can yield wins.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Normally when we get to this time of year; we develop expectations.

I wonder what Board members expectations are? Not predictions. Not guessing about records.

Expectations about how we will play. Predicting records means you also are predicting how other teams will play as well. It is a fools errand to look at 32 teams and think you could know how all the teams will play.

We know our team on a micro level. So, we should have expectations of how we will play.

Schwartz has a reputation. He believes in the DL rushing the passer. Wide nine is based up DE's.

The DE's align themselves out wide, angled back toward the quarterback, and has limited run responsibility on the play. His whole job is to get to the quarterback. These are the defensive ends who excel at getting off the ball, blowing past the tackle, dipping their shoulder around the turn, and reaching the quarterback as he completes his drop.

Schwartz wants to keep guys fresh. He wants a rotation of players to do that.

My expectations are we will get more sacks. The secondary will be less confused. Linebackers are more pass support than run support.

On offense I expect we will pass more. Moore will play a big role. Chubb will get his and have room to do more damage. I expect DW to be better than what he was in Houston. The reason is better OL, Chubb, and a diverse scheme.

I expect the team to be more fun to watch.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Isn't the solution to this having LBs and safeties that can fly to the ball?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It begins with pressure. We will use loops and stunts.

But we made an investment in defensive tackles in free agency and the draft. The tackles we brought in are run defenders. They are bigger guys who know what gap integrity means.

Last year it meant nothing. The tackles got sealed. Guards and centers were into the second level. It was a mess.

We are not going to play SS/FS. More about nickel with safety's having multiple roles.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Isn't the solution to this having LBs and safeties that can fly to the ball?

It sure would help if the Browns had LBs capable of "flying to the ball" but the Browns LBers.

There were NO LBers drafted by the Browns and some of their current LBers, when given a chance to show themselves, they ended up on IR, waiting for surgery followed by months of rehab and recovery from their various injuries. I don't know how much "flying to the ball" the Browns LBers are going to be doing?

The weakest position on the Browns defense is at LBer...and I have seen no plan to fix the problem...cross your fingers.

Last edited by mac; 06/26/23 11:21 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard