Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think Desantis is trying to tap into the Trump base while setting himself up for his run at office. Truth is an ameba has more personality, so I think he's doomed to fail.

But he and other GOP hopefulls have realized that without the extreme fringe that will follow trump over the edge and into the inferno, their chance to be elected is zero, so they HAVE to court them. Noone does it as well as Drumf but Desantis is trying but without the charisma. It's why even though trump is his adversary for the nominee, Desantis won't attack or criticize Trump on this indictment even though without him in the picture it would seem his chances improve.

At least they are both petty vindictive men, so whoever is left Standing will be a poop stain on American politics. Peas in a pod.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/12/23 07:12 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
A
Legend
Legend
A
And then you have Biden. Dude can't even speak understandably. Oh, and he had a "finish the root canal" procedure today - at the whitehouse. Think what you will of Trump, and I do, but Biden is shot. He's done. He's a stain, no less than Trump, on our presidential roll call. There are plenty of videos of Biden not even having a clue where he is, and not being able to put a sentence together..........let alone the issue of of his son getting money, and doling it out to family, from overseas...

Deal with it or don't.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Rather than debate what you say, which isn't necessarily something I agree with, I will ask you the question which is worse? Playing to a racist and extremist fringe - While politically persecuting a company based on a vendetta.....or being old and frail?

Just my opinion but listening to an entire Biden speech instead of a chopped up collection of the worst portions, I think he makes more sense than Trump ever did. Just my opinion

A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct. That is YOUR opinion. A senile old coot that is currently our president...........and doesn't even know it and has a son that has gotten him millions of dollars, vs. a dude that is facing jail time.

I'll take neither, for $1000, alex.

And Kamala? If laughing like a hyena mattered in the grand scope of things mattered, she'd be my choice. Other than her cackle, which is probably worse than Hillary's, she's done nothing but hide.

Bottom line, Biden doesn't even know who he is, let alone what he's doing. Period. The end. For anyone to argue differently displays how dumb they are.

O
Legend
Legend
O
DeStains has a napoleon complex (little man syndrome) and zero character, he’s actually a MORE dangerous type of pathetic theo-fascist. Book banning, shunning the lgbtq community, targeting black voters with false voter fraud charges, etc. This is a man who has no moral compass and would sell his mother to get a foothold in power. He’d damn sure sacrifice democracy for it.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I agree 100%

Man I really thought DeSantis was gonna be the new king of the conservative/Republican Party. But it seems like it’s a genetic trait if your conservative to go out of their way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

They really about to let Biden cruise to a re-election win simply cause they can’t stop supporting scumbags like trump and Desantis.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Correct. That is YOUR opinion. A senile old coot that is currently our president...........and doesn't even know it and has a son that has gotten him millions of dollars, vs. a dude that is facing jail time.

But as of now that looks like it will be your only two legitimate candidates to choose from. So does that mean you'll refuse to vote or vote for someone with no chance of winning?

Bottom line, Biden doesn't even know who he is, let alone what he's doing. Period. The end. For anyone to argue differently displays how dumb they are.

So will you vote for this or the criminal? I think you may wish to actually listen to his speeches. You are right that he's too old to be president. He does have moments where he appears lost. But you seem to have convinced yourself that's some perpetual state that he's in which is false. Not that it really makes it any better. So since you're in this thread, what do you think of DeSantis assault on Disney?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

This is the correct answer.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Does DeSantis plan on denouncing the neo nazis? Or is it ok because they’re at war against Mickey Mouse like he is…

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Do you really think he will denounce his own voters?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I want to believe that’s he’s just taking this ‘enemy of my enemy’ thing to the extreme, and that he’s really not cool with people like this.

I know it’s stupid, but I gotta have hope.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I try to put hope into things I actually believe there's some hope for. This just so happens not to be one of those things.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

this is dumb.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Why? Are you trying to say right wing extremists and neo Nazi's aren't supporting trump and desantis with their votes?.........

Nazi demonstrators brandish Ron DeSantis 2024 signs outside of Disney World

Gov. Ron DeSantis is in Oklahoma delivering a political speech, but that doesn’t mean disturbing news isn’t happening closer to home.

Rep. Anna V. Eskamani tweeted on Saturday video of Nazi demonstrators outside of Disney World.

A second image, from Twitter user Shannon Watts, contends that “two dozen white supremacists are outside the main Disney World entrance in Orlando right now, marching with signs featuring Gov. DeSantis’s face, swastikas, the n-word and homophobic slurs.”

Florida Politics reached out to the Governor’s Office for comment.

DeSantis has had to address neo-Nazi demonstrations in Orlando before, including back in 2022 when group of neo-Nazis lined a bridge in eastern Orange County, hanging the swastika flag and banners — including a banner with the pro-Donald Trump slogan “Let’s Go Brandon” — and yelling profanities and antisemitic slurs at passing cars.

He was more concerned with Democrats talking about the issue in remarks after the fact.

“So what I’m going to say is these people, these Democrats who are trying to use this as some type of political issue to try to smear me as if I had something to do with it, we’re not playing their game,” DeSantis said back in 2022.

“Some jackasses doing this on the street, first of all, state law enforcement is going to hold them accountable because they were doing stuff on the overpass. So they’re absolutely going to do that, and they should do that,” DeSantis added before going back on the political counteroffensive.

“But I’m not going to have people try to smear me who belong to a political party that has elevated antisemites to the halls of Congress,” DeSantis said, singling out Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota.

In a tweet posted after the incident and later deleted, press secretary Christina Pushaw responded to Twitter outrage over the Orlando Nazi demonstration by asking, “Do we even know they’re Nazis?”

Pushaw then sought to clarify that statement. “I don’t know what you mean by ‘denying Nazis.’ I was referring to this event in VA, when a group of Democrats dressed up as White supremacists to discredit a (Glenn) Youngkin rally,” she told Florida Politics at the time.

Similar demonstrations including Nazi regalia and pro-DeSantis flags recurred in 2022.

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...-ron-desantis-2024-sign-at-disney-world/

Does any of that sound like he is denouncing them to you?

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

this is dumb.

Here's a video in which you can clearly see the DeSantis 2024 campaign sign among the Nazi flags.......

Where did DeSantis denounce them again? You may wish to be careful about who you're tossing the dumb mantra towards. It might come back to smack you in the face if you aren't careful.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

this is dumb.

You would think so, but it's accurate. Among DeSantis's (and Trumps) strongest supporters are the Proud Boys, KKK, 1 percenters, Oath Keepers, and other racist white male hate groups....

So laugh and call it dumb,, but if you don't fit into one of those groups, do something about it. or accept the fact that you will forever be linked to them. Deserved or not.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
Does DeSantis plan on denouncing the neo nazis? Or is it ok because they’re at war against Mickey Mouse like he is…

Of course not. The dude is the Grand PuBa of Nazi Murica since trump has zero chance against his prosecutor Joe Biden.

As for the war on Mickey, I’ll say it again. DeStupid is playing chicken with a tank.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Bro screwing up big time in Florida. Losing billions

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M

this is dumb.

It's truth - Trump or Desantis or whoever it is won't win without pandering to the fringe element that are supremisists. Trump knew it and the like of Gaetz and MTG know it.

Legend
Legend
The Disney Dream is sailing to Europe for the 2024 sailing season. Just the tip of the iceberg.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
For those who continue to claim that DeSantis is only "looking out for students in grades k-3", please start paying attention.....

College Board Tells DeSantis It Won’t Change AP Psychology Course To Exclude LGBTQ Topics

The College Board, the organization overseeing advanced placement courses for high school students nationwide, pushed back on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ recently passed legislation, telling the Florida Department of Education it wouldn’t alter its curriculum for AP Psychology to exclude information on gender and sexual orientation.

The College Board issued a statement Thursday saying it “will not modify our courses to accommodate restrictions on teaching essential, college-level topics” as doing so would “break the fundamental promise of AP” in that colleges wouldn’t accept the credit and students wouldn’t be prepared to continue in the discipline.

The organization highlighted that the American Psychology Association has said the topics of gender and sexual orientation “are foundational for any college-level course in psychology” and that participation in AP courses is optional and families can review content before deciding whether their student should enroll.

The Florida Department of Education told College Board last month it would seek an “assurance document” to indicate whether courses comply with Florida’s new rules against public schools teaching about sexual orientation or gender identity and asked it to examine which courses would need to be modified, the Washington Post reported.

In April, the Department voted unanimously to extend the state’s “Don’t Say Gay” law to prevent the state’s middle and high school teachers from teaching students about sexual orientation or gender identity; previously, the law only prevented discussions for students in kindergarten through third grade.

“To AP teachers in Florida, we are heartbroken by the possibility of Florida students being denied the opportunity to participate in this or any other AP course. To AP teachers everywhere, please know we will not modify any of the 40 AP courses—from art to history to science—in response to regulations that would censor college-level standards for credit, placement and career readiness,” College Board said in a statement Thursday.

Florida’s Department of Education press secretary, Cassie Palelis, said in a statement that “College Board is responsible for ensuring that their submitted materials comply with Florida law.” She continued: “It is worth noting that College Board does not maintain a reliable position and is susceptible to outside influence by the mainstream media and political activists.”

This isn’t the College Board’s first dispute with DeSantis. Earlier this year, Florida officials said the curriculum of AP African American Studies—a course being introduced in 2024— lacked “educational value” and promoted “a political agenda.” The College Board then released a plan for the course that removed references to some of the terms DeSantis took issue with, like “intersectionality” and “systemic.” The changes—seemingly in response to Florida’s issues with the course—led to broad criticism of the College Board for caving to DeSantis’ wishes. The organization backtracked on the changes, saying in April they were again revamping the course to ensure students “have access to the full breadth and beauty of this discipline.” In its statement Thursday about AP Psychology, the Board said: “We have learned from our mistakes in the recent rollout of AP African American Studies and know that we must be clear from the outset where we stand.”

28,600. That’s about how many students took the AP Psychology—one of College Board’s more popular courses—exam this past May in Florida. In 2022, about 292,000 students across the country took the exam.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mollyb...to-exclude-lgbtq-topics/?sh=7ccd5cc72add

Oddly enough it seems those who DeSantis has hired doesn't understand who it was that actually made this political.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I wonder where the burning of books will be?

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think they will be done at a location to be determined later. But not until after the witch trials have been concluded.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
DeStains will lose by a landslide if he’s the nominee. Any MAGA candidate will lose. Our biggest concern in 2024 should be watching the election process closely because GOPers WILL try to steal another election.

O
Legend
Legend
O
MSNBC reporting that teachers in Texas quitting in droves over GOPer politics. GOPer Ls stacking up.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
MSNBC reporting that teachers in Texas quitting in droves over GOPer politics. GOPer Ls stacking up.

It is a bit like Nazi Germany when the Jews fled the country when they could and those that didn’t. Well you know.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yep.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Got a link for this?

O
Legend
Legend
O

And at the beginning of the year:

This is what crap thinking and terrorizing kids gets you. Good people want nothing to do with it.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/17/23 04:42 PM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
70% of people considering leaving their teaching jobs? Hell, 70% of people in general "plan" on leaving their jobs no matter the profession or state in which they live.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-quit-close-70-us-120000350.html

Tackles are tackles.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
A lot of teachers are leaving the profession for a multitude of reasons. I agree that trying to break it down to one political reason is more of a distraction than a reality....

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, could be generational thing TOO- how many decades has Government bailed folks out--over and over again. And PLEASE don't say it's only the dreaded Democrats- Nixon, Bushes, Trump-- AND all the Ds, print money, give it to everyone and you don't have to work.

Teachers have it tough- I was one and quit- gov requirements, English as second language- millions don't know English- behavior problems- every student is a saint....WRONG, and can't get troublemakers out of class because they deserve an education....take a day off and ask to observe a day in public school....get an education.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Teachers Fear Juneteenth School Lessons Amid Critical Race Theory Clampdown

Last year, President Joe Biden signed a bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday.

Juneteenth marks the anniversary of June 19, 1865, when Union soldiers brought the news of freedom to enslaved Black people in Galveston, Texas, two months after the Confederacy surrendered. That was more than two years after the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in Southern states.

But many of those Republican-controlled states have in recent years banned so-called critical race theory teachings from K-12 classrooms.

Critical race theory, or CRT, is a decades-old academic theory that examines America's history and institutions through the lens of racism. Some conservatives argue that it promotes division.

Although it is not typically taught in public schools, Texas and 16 other states have imposed bans restricting how race can be taught in schools through legislation or other means, according to an Education Week analysis.

And as June 19 approaches, there are concerns among some educators about whether and how teachers can speak to their students about the history of the nation's newest federal holiday.

Nothing in the laws as enacted specifically prohibit teachers from telling their students the "objective facts" about the origins of Juneteenth, said Adrienne Dixson, a professor of critical race theory and education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

"There is a way to talk about Juneteenth, even within the limitations that are set by states in terms of the anti-CRT laws," she told Newsweek.

But Dixson, educators and other experts agree the language of the legislation can be interpreted differently and has sown confusion about what kind of instruction is permissible.

"These laws will have a chilling effect for teachers in general, because there isn't a lot of guidance in terms of what can be taught. A lot of the laws are really legislating feelings... it's vague," added Dixson.

The laws prohibit teachers from delving too deep into the aftermath, including looking at the Jim Crow laws in the South and Black people's struggle for civil rights, said Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers.

"What do these laws basically say? You can teach, quote, the facts, end quote, but not any current analysis of them," she told Newsweek.

That means a teacher would not be able to make reference to the last month's massacre at a Buffalo supermarket, she said. Authorities say the teenage gunman suspected of killing 10 Black people wrote a manifesto outlining his belief in a racist conspiracy theory that white people are being "replaced" by minorities.

"Say a student asks a question about the effect of racism in America today to a teacher in Texas in the middle of lesson plan about Juneteenth... a teacher by the terms of that statute couldn't answer that question," said Weingarten.

"These laws are intended to impede open and honest discussion about some of the hardest parts of our country's past and its impact on our present."

Pointing to tweets from Christopher Rufo, who helped make "critical race theory" a GOP rallying cry, she added: "Their intent is to create fear, their intent is to create chill, their intent is to stop teacher from helping kids learn how to think."

Daniel Santos, who teaches 8th grade U.S. History at Navarro Middle School in the Houston Independent School District, told Newsweek that he teaches the history of Juneteenth and its impact on the Black community in late April, ahead of standardized testing.

He said teachers in some Texas school districts have been "attacked and smeared" by conservative-leaning parents.

So while he is "committed to teaching accurate history" to his students, he fears less experienced teachers may be discouraged by "vocal parents and politicians who wrongly attribute any discussion of race or racism as CRT and thus, dilute their lessons to appease [them]."

Clay Robison, a spokesperson for the Texas State Teachers Association, told Newsweek that some teachers "maybe didn't do everything that they normally would do" on Martin Luther King Jr. Day out of concern they could be antagonizing conservative parents in their districts.

But he noted that Texas has over 1,000 school districts, so how concerned teachers are about the issue may depend on how conservative their district is.

Teachers have been struggling to navigate the minefield of teaching topics like racism and sexism following the increased restrictions in some states.

Many could avoid having difficult conversations with students about America's past for fear of harm to their career and reputation, particularly when cases of teachers being fired over lessons on race-related topics have made headlines.

Under the laws, teachers have to make a decisions about their lessons "at their peril," Weingarten added. The AFT has committed to legally defending any teacher who is targeted for termination, she said.

But there is a "real need" to teach students about the history of Juneteenth, said Colin Sharkey, the executive director of the Association of American Educators.

"Here's a great example of America's stated desires for individual rights being delayed for certain Americans, so there's a significant value in teaching about it," he told Newsweek.

"It's up to each educators to decide where their comfort level is, but the fact that it's a potential concern could be a distraction from the goal the educator has for teaching students about a holiday that many, many Americans weren't familiar with."

Sharkey said he can imagine scenarios where misunderstandings about what was discussed in a classroom lead some parents to think the law was violated.

He suggested teachers maintain transparency with parents who have concerns and called on parents to give teachers "the benefit of the doubt."

"The vast majority of educators we work with are highly educated, very dedicated," he said. "Professionals who don't bring a personal agenda to the classroom other than the wellbeing of their students, and providing them access to a tremendous education."

https://www.newsweek.com/teachers-f...s-critical-race-theory-clampdown-1714274

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This may seem like a dumb question, but is the Emancipation Proclamation part of Critical Race Theory? How about the Watts Riots.. Or the Hough Riots? If they aren't, can someone give me an example of what is taught in CRT that folks object too.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I've asked that before and didn't get an answer. As I understand it the laws that are being written in these states are quite vague and leave much up to interpretation. Thus teachers are being very cautious because they have no clear idea where the actual lines are drawn. As far as CRT goes it's my understanding that it includes many things that in fact aren't objectionable at all. But when you open the umbrella of saying you can't teach CRT that would include everything contained in it. Which creates a huge amount of information and history on the topic of race which is then forbidden to be discussed in classrooms.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Florida laws are intentionally written for "creative interpretation" which makes it a challenge for some one to figure out. That makes for a bad law.

I think the best way to answer the issue of CRT is to remember that the C is for Critical and it is the fundamentally the difference between history and social studies.

History is more or less supposed to be a factual "call and response" or "regurgitation of facts" without much interpretation. Now I stated before that history is written by the winners and there in lies the problem. CRT is an attempt to frame it in a different perspective (of the affected community) and look at the broader social implications. Hence, this brings into the discussions issues of social justice or injustice, institutional racism, discrimination, etc. etc. Hence it is a blending of history and social studies that would be tricky to pull off, but in an AP style class, there could be interest in having the discussion.

It just does not apply to race relations, we can bring up women's voting rights and how 100 years ago women were given that right.. Another example. The Harvey Milk assassination and LGBT history. Is it necessary to discuss Milk, who was not a national level politician?

So it opens a can of worms, and draw into it topics like reparations, and "degradation of the majority" for example.

Now the DeSantis approach is just to deny the conversation or threaten those who engage in the conversation with jail.

The current philosophy on the right is just to deny that a problem exists today and that we have moved on. That sounds nice, but there is too much evidence that inequality exists.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
They will never give up their victim/race card as long as they get something out of it.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
History is more or less supposed to be a factual "call and response" or "regurgitation of facts" without much interpretation. Now I stated before that history is written by the winners and there in lies the problem. CRT is an attempt to frame it in a different perspective (of the affected community) and look at the broader social implications. Hence, this brings into the discussions issues of social justice or injustice, institutional racism, discrimination, etc. etc. Hence it is a blending of history and social studies that would be tricky to pull off, but in an AP style class, there could be interest in having the discussion.

I think a different and more accurate way to view it might be that - acknowledging history is indeed sanitized and white washed by the "winners" or those in power - what CRT does is include a fuller and more accurate reflection of the Nation's full history .... nothing more. It's not an opinion - it's not social studies - it's including the some of the bad things that previously got swept under the rug. jmo

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by EveDawg
They will never give up their victim/race card as long as they get something out of it.

You may wish to look around you. That interstate highway runs in both directions.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis Attack On disney Continues

Link Copied to Clipboard