Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
IMO the role of the linebacker position has changed in the NFL.

Guys like Parsons, Watt, and others are not linebackers per se. They are pass rushers. They get moved around and rush from different places on the field.

Here are the listed linebackers on the Browns roster and their size:

Matthew Adams - 6' 230
Mohamoud Diabate - 6'4" 225
Tony Fields - 6' 222
Jordan Kunaszyk - 6'3" 235
JOK - 6'2" 221
Jacob Phillips - 6'3" 228
Taki - 6'1" 238
Charlie Thomas - 6'3' 216
Anthony Walker - 6'1" 235

238 lbs is the heaviest guy. If you can not cover. You can not play three downs. They still support the run but not in the same way as the position once played. You fly to the spot. You are not expected to shed O-linemen. You have to be faster and quicker.

The position is more like big safety. They have to play zone and at times man. You see way more nickel, and dime.

Alignment of 4-2-5 is way more common.

I still need to see the Schwartz defense in action. I have ideas but I am guessing.

1 member likes this: guard dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't weigh in on the Schwartz discussion because I don't see pontification as a valid way to address that. I will say that his resume' would certainly give the appearance of being a significant upgrade to Woods. As such with the additions to the defensive roster one would think we will see at least some improvement. Anything beyond that I see as pure speculation.

In regards to the LB'er position I think you're spot on. When one looks at the past 5 SB winners, they won due to their QB play. They won based on the passing game. When you look at the top rated teams in the NFL today, you'll see they are the teams with the best QB's. Four and five WR sets are becoming more and more common. Then when you throw in 2 TE's you can have as many as six passing targets on any given play. You do need guys who can come in and cover the run, but it's obvious that the passing game has to be the top priority here. So speed and agility is far more important than muscle, bulk and strength alone.

The NFL is an ever evolving sport in terms of strategy. I too have made the mistake in the past of not seeing it as it unfolds and have been a little late to the party in that regard. But this is not one of those times.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
Basically we are going to be short passed to death then when we switch
To pasrushers everyone will run on us.
This team as it is currently constructed will surrender 25 to 30 points agame.

Isn't the solution to this having LBs and safeties that can fly to the ball?

Hey Oobs. Maybe I have been sleeping, but I haven't seen you in a while.

Welcome back.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

It sure would help if the Browns had LBs capable of "flying to the ball" but the Browns LBers.

There were NO LBers drafted by the Browns and some of their current LBers, when given a chance to show themselves, they ended up on IR, waiting for surgery followed by months of rehab and recovery from their various injuries. I don't know how much "flying to the ball" the Browns LBers are going to be doing?

The weakest position on the Browns defense is at LBer...and I have seen no plan to fix the problem...cross your fingers.

It is the weakest if you are thinking about backers like they were in the 70's.

The whole position has changed. They are more for speed, but still aren't fast enough.

Back when teams played a 3-4, LB was a prime position. Teams don't play that anymore.

I can't think of a single defensive formation or situation where teams bring in extra linebackers. I can think of many where they take one off the field.

Backer units are the weakest group because teams have the LB position at the bottom of the totem pole on the defensive unit.

That said, the size we have put on the D line in front of the 2 we will play most of the time should impact their play in a positive way.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac

It sure would help if the Browns had LBs capable of "flying to the ball" but the Browns LBers.

There were NO LBers drafted by the Browns and some of their current LBers, when given a chance to show themselves, they ended up on IR, waiting for surgery followed by months of rehab and recovery from their various injuries. I don't know how much "flying to the ball" the Browns LBers are going to be doing?

The weakest position on the Browns defense is at LBer...and I have seen no plan to fix the problem...cross your fingers.

It is the weakest if you are thinking about backers like they were in the 70's.

The whole position has changed. They are more for speed, but still aren't fast enough.

Back when teams played a 3-4, LB was a prime position. Teams don't play that anymore.

I can't think of a single defensive formation or situation where teams bring in extra linebackers. I can think of many where they take one off the field.

Backer units are the weakest group because teams have the LB position at the bottom of the totem pole on the defensive unit.

That said, the size we have put on the D line in front of the 2 we will play most of the time should impact their play in a positive way.

Though I agree with most of what you said, the exception to the thought is the top ranked 49ers defense and their linebackers. Burks, Warner, and Greenlaw are not any bigger or faster than the Browns current group of LB's yet still the top ranked group instrumental in their drive to the NFC title game that was achieved thru their defense and not an elite QB. As stated above, the 49ers LB's "fly to the ball" where the Browns LB's do not. It's not rocket science; all you have to do is watch the tape and you'll immediately see the difference. San Fran has invested in their LBer crew where the Browns have not. Hopefully the additions on the d-line will help but that's even subject at this time until we see the actual product on the field. I'm optimistic that after 4-years of DL changes that Berry has the DT position finally shored up but if he hasn't, I would expect more of the same with opponents running the ball down our throats. Of course, that's one way to negate the Watson effect if he's sitting on the bench.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Schwartz might be the best coaching hire for the Browns in decades. We have talent, plugged gaping holes on the D line and safety in the off-season and we are set at corner.

JS knows how to get the best out of guys who can fit in with what he wants to do. And I get the feeling he won’t put up with slack-ass BS, either. Our D will be significantly better this year imo.

I agree. His rep precedes him, and is well-earned.

The part of this story I'm loving is that his first NFL 'job' was an intern during the Belichick years. Came up from nothing. Earned his way to this place- and now has a D squad that (on paper) looks to be competitive against the best.

It would be so cool to see him win a Super Bowl with the team that gave him his first NFL experience.
It's only fair- after years of seeing Belichick and BAL win multiple championships after Model snatched the team from 216, Dawgs deserve to see a "Slappy" hoist the Paul Brown NFL Championship Trophy.

just my opinion

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not saying we shouldn't ant better, or possibly need better.

My feeling is when you go with the "smaller' lb group, you need more beef in front of them. I think the mistake that was made early on is we seemed to go with the lighter, quicker DT.

When blockers were 240+ lbs, they could take on guards...who were a bit lighter then. Now that pretty much all guards are near 300 or more lbs, going with lighter backers doesn't work. There is a difference between shedding a block to get around a player v running away from them.

Just the evolution of football. Just as the O's have transitioned in to more of a speed, passing and QB type running attack, the D's have had to make changes as well.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: bonefish
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There is no tape for this year.

We don't know yet how this defense will play. Woods tape is self revealing.

Just watch the interior defensive line. They were sealed out of the gap. Guards and center were in the second level.

Until we see this unit play. We do not know how they will play.

They invested in the DL because it was obvious. It was Berry's mistake the year before. He made corrections.

Now we will see how Schwartz scheme works. And, we will see if the players brought in will execute.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What kind of NFL LBers does it take to win a Lombardi trophy..?

Do the Browns have those kind of LBers..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
There is no tape for this year.

We don't know yet how this defense will play. Woods tape is self revealing.

Just watch the interior defensive line. They were sealed out of the gap. Guards and center were in the second level.

Until we see this unit play. We do not know how they will play.

They invested in the DL because it was obvious. It was Berry's mistake the year before. He made corrections.

Now we will see how Schwartz scheme works. And, we will see if the players brought in will execute.

I'm pretty sure that is what I was implying. However, the DT's Berry had in place were extremely weak in 2020, changed in 2021 to become the worst in the league, changed again in 2022 to be the worst in the league, and another change in 2023 with hopes the Browns finally have it right - the huge unknown at this point. It's not that the Browns haven't invested in the DL, it's that the acquisitions, FA and draft, have been suspect at best. The DL problem is a 3-year plus issue that Berry and Stefanski are taking their 4th swing at fixing. It's true the Browns acquired Tomlinson (PFF ranked 14) to shore up the interior, but the other DT position will still be manned by Elliott (PFF ranked 118) and Winfrey (PFF ranked 117) for their play in 2022. With basically no changes at LB, excuse me if I'm a bit skeptical that the DL is fixed having not seen the unit play as of yet.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Linebacker play is not a premium position.

Of course they play a role. But it is not where money is spent. On defense it is about rushing the passer and the secondary.

DE's and corners make the do-re-mi. If we are average at LB we will be fine.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Outside of Tomlinson I do think the other tackles are set.

Camp will determine what kind of rotation there will be on the whole DL unit.

Right now these are the other tackles:

Maurice Hurst
Jordan Elliott
Tryston Hill
Siaki Ika
Tommy Togiai
Perrion Winfrey

* Alex Wright ( may get a chance to play 3 tech)
* There could be times DE's play inside

In the end I believe there will be a rotation of players all along the entire DL.

Obviously in passing downs there will be an emphasis on putting the best pass rushers on the field.

* goal line and other situations Tomlinson and Ika the beef.

I am unconcerned about last years PFF grades and stats from years past. This is Schwartz's defense.

In the end the defense is a one total unit made up of three separate units. When I see them play then I will comment about the defense.

At this stage I am more curious than skeptical. I don't start at skeptical.

Last edited by bonefish; 06/27/23 09:56 AM.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think something to remember about the DT progression from years past is that it is not solely on Berry. It is a collaborative effort. Joe Woods has a role to play. He details the traits and type of DT he is looking for. Berry goes and look for those traits and analytics.

And Woods prized athleticism over size and power. He wanted agility and movement. I think Schwartz likes bigger bodies because of his wide 9. But I also think Schwartz prizes disruption over all. Whether that is with speed or power or size, or whatever. Both guys want to make the O react to them, but have different ideas of how to do it. Woods wanted all Aaron Donald, John Randal types...smaller, slipperier, and in the backfield. The problem is...Those types are very few and only succeed because they have a ton of power too. Schwartz I think is a little more blunt about it. Kind of Woods' scalpel to Schwartz's sledge hammer.

Can Berry be blamed for not being able to find the next Aaron Donald??? Well, sure an argument could be made...but I don't know how strong that would be.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
* Error. "Outside of Tomlinson I do "Not" think the other tackles are set."

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
What kind of NFL LBers does it take to win a Lombardi trophy..?

Do the Browns have those kind of LBers..?

Being the least important group on the defensive side, I don't know.

You could ask the same about our D-line, DB's, and coordinators over the years, but I get it, you are fixated on the linebackers. Just understand that average is OK with those guys.

Like i said, you see teams pull linebackers from the field all the time. If they are that important, why not bring in an extra backer and dump a DB or D lineman?

Maybe try to answer my questions before you ask me any more.

You are stuck in 60's, 70's and 80's football they way I am stuck in the 60's, 70's, and 80's country music.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Though the LB position has changed, the emphasis that LB's are the tackler on the defense is still in place. Of the top 25 ranked players with tackles in 2022, 21 of the 25 are LB's with 3 of the other 4 being DB's from non-playoff teams and the other from Seattle. The Browns top tacklers were Delpit and Johnson - safeties leading the team in tackles. Interesting to note that BAL and CIN have a LB on this list along with both Super Bowl teams from this year ranked 2nd and 9th overall. LB's are still key to a defense and the Browns not investing into the position could be a drastic error for the club - at least the stats would show that opinion.

POS/Team/Player_______________2022 Tackles
1) LB JAC Foyesade Oluokun________128
2) LB KCC Nick Bolton_____________ 108
3) LB BAL Roquan Smith___________ 103
4) LB SEA Jordyn Brooks___________103
5) LB IND Zaire Franklin___________ 102
6) LB DEN Alex Singleton___________101
7) LB NYJ C.J. Mosley_______________99
8) LB NYG Bobby Okereke___________99
9) LB CHI T.J. Edwards______________99 (previously PHI)
10)DB HOU Jalen Pitre_______________99
11)LB KCC Drue Tranquill____________ 95
12)LB LAC Eric Kendricks____________ 87
13)LB MIN Jordan Hicks______________86
14)LB TEN Rashaan Evans____________86
15)DB GBP Jonathan Owens__________ 84
16)LB WAS Cody Barton_____________ 84
17)LB PHI Nicholas Morrow___________83 (previously CHI)
18)LB CIN Logan Wilson_____________ 83
19)LB HOU Christian Kirksey__________82
20)LB SFO Dre Greenlaw_____________82
21)LB SEA Bobby Wagner____________ 81
22)LB TBB Lavonte David____________ 80
23)LB SFO Fred Warner______________79
24)DB SEA Julian Love_______________79
25)DB ARI Jalen Thompson___________79
26 thru 42 = 8 more LB's, 8 DB's

42)DB CLE Grant Delpit______________72
43)DB LAR John Johnson_____________70 (previously CLE)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
All the starting linebackers missed a lot of time.

Walker missed the year. Phillips, JOK and Taki were hurt.

We should not expect safety's to lead the team in tackles.

I am being honest. I don't know how the defense will play.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's a good point. We did have a lot on injuries at the LB position and we lost a leader on D there early in the season namely Anthony Walker. I don't think we're as bad at LB as most think but I'll admit we could use a top talent there. Time will tell.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I had a suspicion that the immediate response would be that the Browns LB's were injured in 2022. However, since 2000, the top tacklers for the Browns have been LB Jones who played only 11 games with 25 tackles while in Cleveland and "no surprise," safety John Johnson who was only in Cleveland for 2 years. This chart is a 3-year look at the top 25 players with the most tackles over that time period.

To take it a step further, in 2020, the Browns didn't have a single player, LB or DB, ranked in the top 50 in tackles. In 2021, the Browns player with the most tackles was LB Walker with 69 tackles that ranked him 36th overall.

I disagree with the opinion that the Browns can get by with average LB's just the same as I disagree with having average DT's, an average at best LT, and a bunch of WR's that are journeymen or players they hope can meet their potential that Berry needed to address. Instead, we got a grossly over-payed TE (13.7M avg), a 5th year option on an undeserving LT (14.175M), and at least by last year's performance - a grossly over-payed CB (20.1M avg). I will reserve my thoughts on Watson, but I was highly disappointed by the product he put on the field last year for 46M dollars. Granted, Berry is spending money - the most in the NFL but where and how is he spending it if we continue to have areas of weakness? To be fair, kudos for resigning Pocic, picking up Tomlinson, Smith, and Moore (except, what's the plan if we get the 2021 & 2022 Moore instead of the potential Moore?). As a CBS reporter stated, "the Browns are all in for 2023," they better show results.

1) LB JAC Foyesade Oluokun___________308 (2 yrs ATL, 1 yr JAC)
2) LB BAL Roquan Smith______________296 (2 1/2 yrs CHI, 1/2 yr BAL)
3) LB DEN Alex Singleton_____________ 257 (2 yrs PHI, 1 yr DEN)
4) LB TBB Devin White_______________ 257
5) LB LAR Bobby Wagner______________255 (2 yrs SEA, 1 yr LAR)
6) LB SEA Jordyn Brooks______________247
7) LB NYG Bobby Okereke_____________245 (3 yrs IND)
8) LB MIN Jordan Hicks_______________239 (2 yrs ARI, 1 yr Min)
9) LB LAC Eric Kendricks______________237 (3 yrs MIN)
10)LB SFO Fred Warner_______________ 237
11)DB ARI Budda Baker_______________228
12)LB GBP De'Vondre Campbell_________227 (1 yr ARI, 2 yrs GBP)
13)LB TBB Lavonte David______________225
14)DB NYJ Adrian Amos_______________213 (3 yrs GBP)
15)LB CHI Tremaine Edmunds__________213 (3 yrs BUF)
16)LB BAL Patrick Queen______________213
17)LB ARI Kyzir White________________206 (2 yrs LAC, 1 yr PHI)
18)DB TEN Kevin Byard_______________205
19)DB MIN Harrison Smith____________ 203
20)LB NYJ C.J. Mosley________________202
21)LB CAR Shaq Thompson___________ 202
22)DB BUF Jordan Poyer______________201
23)DB IND Kenny Moore______________200
24)DB PIT Minkah Fitzpatrick__________ 200
25)LB CHI T.J. Edwards_______________200 (3 yrs PHI)

33)LB ATL Deion Jones_______________185 (2 yrs ATL, 1 yr CLE - 11 gms played 25 tackles)
40)DB LAR John Johnson_____________ 180 (1 yr LAR, 2 yrs CLE)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You disagree with just about everything.

You need to take over for Berry and show him how to spend money.

Maybe you could be the head coach and GM. That way you can show KS how it's done as well.

Hell just buy the team and make all the decisions.

M
Legend
Legend
M
To take it a step further, in 2020, the Browns didn't have a single player, LB or DB, ranked in the top 50 in tackles.
And they went to the AFC Divisional Round

In 2021, the Browns player with the most tackles was LB Walker with 69 tackles that ranked him 36th overall.
69 solo, 44 assisted for 113 total. 33rd among all defenders, 26th LB. Not much better but he missed three games too. Tae Crowder, (2021 PFF score of 29.1)got more tackles than Walker. Cole Holcomb (2021 PFF score of 56.7) got more tackles.Bobby Okerke (2021 PFF score of 58.5) got more tackles. Conversely, LaVonte David got less than him. Same with Micah Parsons, Shaq Thompson, Demario Davis, Patrick Queen, Leonard Floyd and others. These are good/great LBs so what does that all mean, exactly?

Also, where is this list coming from? Are you counting total tackles or solo ones like you did w/ Walker? Also, where is the color coordination for?

All that said, I think there are far more important statistics determining effectiveness for players than the amount of tackles one accrues over the course of a season.

- A good defense, essentially by definition, means your unit won't be on the field much, thus limiting the amount of snaps for tackling opportunities.
- Where were these tackles had? Behind the LOS or 10-15 up field? If the latter, than so what if that means more tackles for a player.
- How is a def. scheme used by a team? How often are LBs on the field? What is the % of teams using nickel and dime packages?

Look, our defense wasn't good last year, but I'm not sold on tackle numbers as a priority stat to refer to. Missed tackles might be more of an important statistic, in my opinion. And yes, injuries are a factor for some players if we are simply aggregating the amount of tackles in a season and then judging a player's value on their total.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: guard dawg, Milk Man
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by mac

Its a different era. Mike and Eddie Johnson are not here we must let go of the past. JOK, Walker and Taki are useless if there is no DTs to absorb the LG, C and RG. That is the key for us.

Personally I think Schwartz is bringing back the old 46 D so a big key will be our Safeties and we manned up there!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Sometimes I think people just look for stats and lack understanding of the actual game.

All last year I watched centers and guards in the second level. Gaps were sealed off and linebackers were screened.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So where did the bulk of those tackles take place? Were they on RB's rushing the ball coming out of the backfield or were they against WR's, TE's and RB's in passing situations? Your raw numbers have done nothing to support your previous position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Why the personal attack? This is a forum where we can exchange opinions about our team. I make an attempt in every post to share my opinion based on facts as much as I can without attacking the person whose post I'm commenting on.

Just like this post - with 4 of our LB's coming off injury and their past performances, can you honestly say the Browns LB's are not a questionable area of concern?

Honestly, has Njoku's performance past and present earned a contract of 13.867M avg comparable to the performances past and present of a Kelce 14.312M avg, Kittle 15M avg, or an Andrews 14.0M avg? Really, has there been a single season out of the 6 that Njoku has been with the Browns that comes anywhere close to these other top TE's performance? Then why is he being paid a ransom for half the results?

Do you honestly accept the sixth highest paid CB in the NFL performance last year? Please don't use Wood as an excuse for his lackluster play because he supposedly earned that high contract playing in Woods exact same defense the two previous years. Did the Browns get their 21M worth from Ward in 2022?

Was signing Pocic to a new deal not a good thing?

Was going out and getting Smith, Tomlinson, and Moore not good moves from the Browns?

Can you honestly state as a fact that Moore's past disdain might not pop up again if he's not getting his own predetermined targets in the Browns offense? Afterall, he has a well-documented history. I agree with the talent that has yet to be shown but where's his mind and what's the plan if the Browns get the 2022 Moore?

There's been numerous posts on here about Wills - questioning his progress even by you. It's just my opinion that you don't hand him a guaranteed 14.7M option year when there's questions about his production the last 3-years.

Watson was not good last year for many different reasons, but the fact still remains that he was paid 46M for that poor performance. That's not an opinion, it's a fact and excuse me for calling out his poor play.

Getting Schwartz as DC was a good move past due by the Browns. I do believe the defense will be better but not sure if it's playoff caliber yet. Maybe, but there's a whole lot of question marks right now and that makes even the average fan a little uneasy.

Anyway, this is what the forum is supposed to be about. Fans talking about the team and how they're going to look this year. Nobody needs or deserves the attacks because they don't like what the person said. That's the problem in today's world - let's just silence those individuals when we don't like what they are saying.

P
Legend
Legend
P
At times I certainly think you make some valid points and tend to agree with them. I also feel that criticism of any kind is not well received on this board. But it is a Browns fan site so to some extent I think that's to be expected. As I think you can see I don't really care if people disagree with me because I plan to state things the way I see them.

Moore's past conduct is something people seem to wish to avoid and dismiss and as to why I have no idea. Well, maybe I do. It tends to be a trend when a player puts on the Browns uniform. And then we see other players wearing the uniform that aren't performing the way fans like and they attack like rabid dogs over far less. It's like watching people turn mole hills into mountains and then watching those same people turn mountains into mole hills. But in regards to Moore....

New Details Emerge From Elijah Moore's Profane Outburst on Day of Trade Request

Elijah Moore and former offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur had a heated exchange before the wide receiver requested a trade from the Jets.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ne...outburst-jets-trade-request-mike-lafleur

I'm sure we all hope such conduct is behind Moore but there is reason for caution and concern.

With Wills I don't think it's so much about "deserving" 14 mil. as it is about availability and being better than the available options. And don't you feel that's a better option than giving him a long term contract extension? I mean our top pick was in the third round so their options were limited.

And no, Njoku has not as of yet lived up to his contract numbers. If it doesn't happen with watson it never will.

There are areas where we disagree but it's not simply because your points aren't sunshine and roses. I try to take each one individually and act accordingly. For some reality can be a hard pill to swallow. One thing I try to keep in mind is there is no such thing as a perfect person. Be that person an NFL HC, an NFL GM or an NFL owner. So while I hope and expect them to perform well, I understand that they will make mistakes along the way. Perspective is a good thing.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So where did the bulk of those tackles take place? Were they on RB's rushing the ball coming out of the backfield or were they against WR's, TE's and RB's in passing situations? Your raw numbers have done nothing to support your previous position.

The same question could be given to you.

In the NFL last year, teams averaged 33.3 passing plays per game (54.95%) to 27.3 running plays (45.95%). For the Browns, opponents passed the ball 53.12% and rushed the ball 46.88%. That's a whopping .61% more passes per game than the NFL avg. Since the Browns opponents for all practical purposes ran the average number of passing plays vs running plays as the NFL average then you would have to assume that the tackles should be being made by the linebackers as the top 25 demonstrated which did not happen for the Browns. To answer your question, the Browns defense basically had the same breakdown as the NFL average and the tackles should have been similar which they were not. These facts do indeed support my position that the Browns safeties should absolutely not be leading the team in tackles if the people in front of them were doing their job.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
At times I certainly think you make some valid points and tend to agree with them. I also feel that criticism of any kind is not well received on this board. But it is a Browns fan site so to some extent I think that's to be expected. As I think you can see I don't really care if people disagree with me because I plan to state things the way I see them.

Moore's past conduct is something people seem to wish to avoid and dismiss and as to why I have no idea. Well, maybe I do. It tends to be a trend when a player puts on the Browns uniform. And then we see other players wearing the uniform that aren't performing the way fans like and they attack like rabid dogs over far less. It's like watching people turn mole hills into mountains and then watching those same people turn mountains into mole hills. But in regards to Moore....

New Details Emerge From Elijah Moore's Profane Outburst on Day of Trade Request

Elijah Moore and former offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur had a heated exchange before the wide receiver requested a trade from the Jets.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ne...outburst-jets-trade-request-mike-lafleur

I'm sure we all hope such conduct is behind Moore but there is reason for caution and concern.

With Wills I don't think it's so much about "deserving" 14 mil. as it is about availability and being better than the available options. And don't you feel that's a better option than giving him a long term contract extension? I mean our top pick was in the third round so their options were limited.

And no, Njoku has not as of yet lived up to his contract numbers. If it doesn't happen with watson it never will.

There are areas where we disagree but it's not simply because your points aren't sunshine and roses. I try to take each one individually and act accordingly. For some reality can be a hard pill to swallow. One thing I try to keep in mind is there is no such thing as a perfect person. Be that person an NFL HC, an NFL GM or an NFL owner. So while I hope and expect them to perform well, I understand that they will make mistakes along the way. Perspective is a good thing.

Thank you for your honest opinion.

P
Legend
Legend
P
First of all, I wasn't the one trying to make a point of how poorly the Browns LB'er were against the run so it's not my point to prove. Secondly, when you have your DL being pushed around by your opponents, it creates a situation where your LB'ers share an unfair disadvantage over teams with more physical and capable DL's. And has been pointed out already, your numbers were based on solo tackles and not combined with assisted tackles.

That's why raw numbers in and of themselves often times do net tell the story.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It has nothing to do with personal.

I don't have a thing against you personally. I have said it before. It is like you go looking for stats to isolate a negative point.

I disagree with you. Disagree as in discussion. From the posts I have read of yours. They all come with the same objective.

You carried on on about kicking the can. How you perceived cap issues. They added players and still have space.

You pull KS stats from the Vikings that were a misrepresentation.

You constantly post about overpaying players.

I don't think you really know football. I think you research to somehow think you are proving how wrong everything Berry does is wrong.

Njoku. So if we do not sign him. Who replaces what he can do? Njoku would get the same he got from a number of teams.

Ward did not play well last season. There is not a team in the NFL that would not kill to sign Ward.

What do you know about Moore? Where you at practices with the Jets? Have you been to Browns practices? What would lead you to say his "disdain" will be an issue. What have you read that he has shown anything but good reports as a Brown? But no. You are trying cast him as some kind malcontent.

Watson. Please. Where would the Browns be without that trade? Would Baker be our man or, some other cast off?

What is fact about DW is his ability. How about the games beside the last six? In addition looking at those six games as an indication of future performance is about you not him.

Schwartz was a good move. Could the move have been made earlier? Yes. But it would not have been Schwartz.

We disagree. I don't have a problem with that. You think you are right and proving something.

I don't think you are right and I don't think you know the game from the inside. You know how to find stats and accounting.

What bugs me is that you look for everything you can to try and show the Browns organization is completely inept.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by eotab
Originally Posted by mac

Its a different era. Mike and Eddie Johnson are not here we must let go of the past. JOK, Walker and Taki are useless if there is no DTs to absorb the LG, C and RG. That is the key for us.

Personally I think Schwartz is bringing back the old 46 D so a big key will be our Safeties and we manned up there!

I like the KC LBers

Nick Bolton, 5-11, 237 ... 180 total tackles, 108 solo tackles
William Gay, 6-1, 243 ... 88 total tackles, 51 solo tackles
Top Backup=Leo Chanel, 6-3, 250 ... started 8 games

Not much doubt about them playing Super Bowl caliber football in 2022/2023.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
It has nothing to do with personal.

I don't have a thing against you personally. I have said it before. It is like you go looking for stats to isolate a negative point.

I disagree with you. Disagree as in discussion. From the posts I have read of yours. They all come with the same objective.

You carried on on about kicking the can. How you perceived cap issues. They added players and still have space.

You pull KS stats from the Vikings that were a misrepresentation.

You constantly post about overpaying players.

I don't think you really know football. I think you research to somehow think you are proving how wrong everything Berry does is wrong.

Njoku. So if we do not sign him. Who replaces what he can do? Njoku would get the same he got from a number of teams.

Ward did not play well last season. There is not a team in the NFL that would not kill to sign Ward.

What do you know about Moore? Where you at practices with the Jets? Have you been to Browns practices? What would lead you to say his "disdain" will be an issue. What have you read that he has shown anything but good reports as a Brown? But no. You are trying cast him as some kind malcontent.

Watson. Please. Where would the Browns be without that trade? Would Baker be our man or, some other cast off?

What is fact about DW is his ability. How about the games beside the last six? In addition looking at those six games as an indication of future performance is about you not him.

Schwartz was a good move. Could the move have been made earlier? Yes. But it would not have been Schwartz.

We disagree. I don't have a problem with that. You think you are right and proving something.

I don't think you are right and I don't think you know the game from the inside. You know how to find stats and accounting.

What bugs me is that you look for everything you can to try and show the Browns organization is completely inept.

We can respectfully agree to disagree and see where the chips fall this season. To be clear, I didn't say Moore was a malcontent at all and even said it was a good move by Berry all of which you conveniently skipped by. What I did say was what if the Browns get the 2022 Moore instead of the high potential Moore - is there a plan? Totally different from what you are commenting on. Last point on Moore, and I send it back to you: What do you know about Moore? "Were you at practices with the Jets? Have you been to Browns practices?" What would lead you to say his past actions are behind him and he'll finally reach his potential? You don't have any more of an idea on his future performance than I do. Like I said, I agree with the Berry move but unlike you, I'm not anointing him a savior until I see it on the field which up to this time - it hasn't happened.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Moore was a high draft pick.

Clearly the situation with the Jets was bad. The quarterback play was horrible. The OC he had run with was fired.

The Plan was trade for Moore because Berry sees his potential. The plan for him not playing well is no different than a plan for injury.

They have added other receivers. However, they believe in Moore. Early indications are very positive.

I am not anointing him. I stated before the trade was made that he was a guy we should go after. Turn on his tape. Look at how he plays.

Please don't take it personal. We can respectfully disagree. I have been watching the Browns since 1960 when I was in seventh grade.

That is a lot of history. Some good. Way more bad.

I don't predict. But I will say this team has the potential to be very good. Like most teams some things need to break their way. They are today in a better position than they have been since 1986 with Bernie.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's my preference to keep my comments as close to football as I can. Conjecture and hypotheticals always seem to lower the quality of discourse here.

Barring injury I think the LBs on this team will be able to do the job Swartz intends for them. All indications, based on how Swartz has operated in the past, the DL will be the premier unit of his defense. If the past is prologue then the wide-9 alignment, stunts, one-gap penetration, 5-man fronts, rushing DEs from the interior and 9 or 10 man DL rotation will be keys to this defense's success. Of course, LBs will have their roles. Executing their run fis and defending TEs in the passing game are areas that come to mind.

Because Swartz wants to set the DL loose to be as disruptive as possible it will create havoc for the LBs who will have opportunities to make plays.

Last edited by guard dawg; 06/28/23 07:22 PM.
1 member likes this: bonefish
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think if healthy, our LB's can be good enough although I'd like to see us add another experienced one at some point. I liked Jacob Phillips when we drafted him although he hasn't shown much since he's been here. He has been hurt every season. Maybe with better health and a new scheme he can develop into a solid player.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
[quote=mac][color:#FFFFCC]
You are stuck in 60's, 70's and 80's football they way I am stuck in the 60's, 70's, and 80's country music.
Not all of the nineties country music was as bad as "baby likes to rock it like a boogie woogie choo choo train" rofl my gosh that one is awful, or as bad as "welcome to earth 3rd rock from the sun" , there was some Alan Jackson, and John Andersons' "black sheep" and Forever and ever amen by the old guy.
but yeah a couple of dancing idiots I won't name, ruined country music, but even their harm only pales in comparison to a perceived realisation that any new country song has a ninety percent chance of being written by some Euro brittish guy who goes around describing stereotypical objects of country life as the main portion of lyrics..... bad Nashville..

and then knowing none of these songs are genuine.

Jordan Kunacxyk and Fields are fine linebackers, among others,

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
There were no Lb drafted by the Browns?
Well they didn't draft a kicker either, they must hate points.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Corner play.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...newsome-martin-emerson-man-zone-coverage

This was one of my main problems with Woods. IMO he wanted the defense to play to the vision he had for the defense. He did not play to the strengths of the players.

Ward in particular. Ward is best at man. Most boundary come into the NFL having played mostly man. Of course that can vary based on where they played. But as a outside cover guy you have to play man. That is how you prove yourself. You have to match a receiver. There is off-man. And two ways to play press man. One is with hand jams and the other no hands or shadow.

Zone should be mixed in. But you should play to the strengths of your players.

We have good man corners. Use them.

1 member likes this: guard dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
The whole "Were you at Jets practice" thing is ridiculous. I mean let's be honest here. You are the anti Steve. You do the exact opposite of what you are accusing him of. I mean even the smelliest turd can be polished but it's still a turd. You are certainly right about not being able to predict the future. And I haven't seen where, in regards to Moore, that anyone has tried to do that.

Yet let's take a look at something that's at least somewhat comparable shall we? Look at how browns fans have treated OBJ based on his "behavior". What coaches did OBJ cuss out? The only real difference here is that one left the Browns and Moore just came to the Browns. Both of them demanded a trade. One used to wear a Browns uniform and one just put on a Browns uniform. That, and well, Moore actually cussed out his coach.

Does that mean he will repeat such behavior in the future? No, it most certainly doesn't. But for one to simply try to dismiss such behavior and act as though it isn't reason for concern is well, doing some major polishing. I think that's where a part of the big disconnect happens. I'm not trying to attack Moore's character. However, I'm not making silly excuses like "What do you know about Moore? Were you at practices with the Jets?" Then you go on to act like somehow it's the Jets fault he was acting like a jerk.

There are many times I agree with the Browns FO and coaching staff. There are times when I don't. Moore could turn out to be a great addition to the roster. On the other hand he could turn out to be a major distraction if history repeats itself. None of us know for sure. But I'm not foolish enough to act like what happened in New York didn't happen or blame someone else for his behavior. It's a part of the equation.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Since nobody attended any practice or has a clue about the locker room of either team.

They why act like you do? There were reports. Steve took the reports of a fallout between Moore and Mike LeFleur (who was fired).

"Can you honestly state as a fact that Moore's past disdain might not pop up again if he's not getting his own predetermined targets in the Browns offense? Afterall, he has a well-documented history."

"Moore's disdain and well documented history?"

So he knows? And it's ridiculous to call him out for implying that this could be a problem with the Browns?

Please I don't need Board police. He was trying to imply their will be a problem when he doesn't know a thing the character of Moore.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...moore-deshaun-watson--210752139/#2173372

So Moore is a malcontent with a history? Implication of a pattern of behavior. Please.

OBJ is not relevant. Two different cases.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard