Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
P
Legend
Legend
P
I knew you would try to avoid admitting the similarities between Moore And OBJ. It's very convenient. I'm not being the board police. But once again that's a convenient way to try and dismiss someone who brought up a valid point.

Once again, how does the fact the coach was later fired excuse Moore's behavior? You do realize that you're talking about Mike LaFleur who is the current OC of the Rams, right? I think you have an issue with selective reading in this case. Steve made it plain he thought the signing of Moore was a good thing.

Moore wasn't drafted until 2021 and been with one team prior, the Jets. There are only two years of "history" to base his past behavior on. So yes, he has a history of it.

Just a slight bit of objectivity would be helpful.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Objectivity? Really. How about you apply it.

OBJ and his history has nothing to do with Moore. In any event. I never made a single comment about OBJ because I never saw any verification of his actions.

Unless I know a person or, know of someone who had direct interaction with the individual. I never make comments about another's character. I never made a remark about Baker's character. It is something I never do.

In fact I resent implicating character flaws about anyone without direct knowledge. So you making snide remarks about how convenient is total BS. OBJ is not Moore and vice versa.

So you know Moore's two year history with the Jets? I don't think so. Maybe he had every right to complain about his usage.

You may think it valid. Except you also have no proof.
https://sports.yahoo.com/insider-browns-no-character-concerns-170033926.html

See if can find anything in a scouting report, or college profile about Moore being a malcontent. He did go to college. He has lived longer than his two years with the Jets.

I don't have an issue with selective reading. What does LaFleur being the OC with the Rams have to do with him being fired by the Jets after two seasons?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Getting back to the theme of this thread, "Jim Schwartz and the defense"...

The Browns defense ranked 24th in the NFL at stopping the run.

The Browns called on everyone on the team in an attempt to correct or improve upon the defense's performance at stopping the run...and by the end of the 2022/2023 season, the best the Browns defense could produce was a 24th ranking out of the 32 NFL teams.

The Browns are not going to win a Super Bowl by ranking #24 at stopping the run and those of you who believe LBers no longer matter..."YOU HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG" by the team that won last season's Super Bowl...the KC Chiefs..!

While some opinions seem to be that the play of the Browns LBers no longer matters...the team that won the Super Bowl last season emphasized the play of their LBers, especially their ability to stop the run, HELPING THE CHIEFS TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL...the Chiefs had the 8th best defense at stopping the run.

The 2022 Browns, , "with their failed defensive philosophy", ranking 24th at stopping the run, have no basis in fact to claim that LBers no longer matter or that the LBer group is the "LEAST IMPORTANT DEFENSIVE GROUP" on the defensive side of the ball. While those who are big on "THEIR GUIDELINES" might promote such a defensive philosophy, the results (ranking #24) speak for themselves.

What kind of LBer does it take to win a Super Bowl...small, quick, 220 pound LBers who fly to the ball..?

OR, does it take the type of LBers the Chiefs lined up every week of the 2022/2023 season..?

The KC LBers

Nick Bolton, 5-11, 237 ... 180 total tackles, 108 solo tackles
William Gay, 6-1, 243 ... 88 total tackles, 51 solo tackles
Top Backup=Leo Chanel, 6-3, 250 ... started 8 games

Not much doubt about the CHIEFS LBers playing Super Bowl caliber football in 2022/2023.

Hopefully Schwartz will be able to upgrade the performance of the Browns LBer group, via scheme and personnel changes.

Last edited by mac; 06/29/23 01:41 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
What are the Browns going to say? "We just spent a second round draft pick to trade for a player we have character concerns about"? Yeah, I didn't think so. Buying into PR statements isn't something that should be advised.

Complaining doesn't include telling your OC, to go F himself. You do realize that he was benched for disciplinary reasons immediately after the incident occurred, right?

You're the one who was trying to undercut LaFleur by pointing out he had been fired, not me. It appears as though the Rams do not share your view of him. That was a convenient thing to try and make a point of as well. Especially as I've pointed out that he holds the exact same position on a different NFL team.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Objectivity? Really. How about you apply it.

OBJ and his history has nothing to do with Moore. In any event. I never made a single comment about OBJ because I never saw any verification of his actions.

Unless I know a person or, know of someone who had direct interaction with the individual. I never make comments about another's character. I never made a remark about Baker's character. It is something I never do.

In fact I resent implicating character flaws about anyone without direct knowledge. So you making snide remarks about how convenient is total BS. OBJ is not Moore and vice versa.

So you know Moore's two year history with the Jets? I don't think so. Maybe he had every right to complain about his usage.

You may think it valid. Except you also have no proof.
https://sports.yahoo.com/insider-browns-no-character-concerns-170033926.html

See if can find anything in a scouting report, or college profile about Moore being a malcontent. He did go to college. He has lived longer than his two years with the Jets.

I don't have an issue with selective reading. What does LaFleur being the OC with the Rams have to do with him being fired by the Jets after two seasons?

Here's an article for you. As I said, I think it was a good move by Berry - low cost, low loss if it doesn't work. Take the article anyway you want - just another report on Moore.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2022/10/20/time-for-jets-wide-receiver-elijah-moore-to-grow-up/

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Cut the crap. Coordinators moving from one team to another is common. Joe Woods is with the Saints in the same job as he had with the Browns. I would not expect him to be a OC.

Since you were mic'd up at the Jets practice you know all about the exchange?

So, you don't buy PR statements by teams but you buy into overblown reports from third parties. ok

Players usually get benched when they tell off a coach. And you think that has never happened before? Sometimes they get traded.

Receivers wanting to be thrown the ball is real uncommon. Heaven forbid cussing at football practice. How shameful.

I squared with steve big brother. Since it is so important to you that steve is protected from pointed discussion.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I read about that incident before.

No defense other than maturity at that time.

Players have personalities. Receivers are notorious. Whatever went down with the Jets? He is a Brown now.

He was traded for because it was believed he could be an asset. I love his tape. He seems to fit what the Browns need for a perceived role.

If he tells AVP to ****off then you were right.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
I read about that incident before.

No defense other than maturity at that time.

Players have personalities. Receivers are notorious. Whatever went down with the Jets? He is a Brown now.

He was traded for because it was believed he could be an asset. I love his tape. He seems to fit what the Browns need for a perceived role.

If he tells AVP to ****off then you were right.

All I can see is video after video of Tom Brady yelling at any and everybody. If we're winning, no one will care.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Dude, he was he was benched for disciplinary reasons immediately after the incident occurred. If you choose to stick your fingers in your ears and go "la, la, la" like it never happened, that's on you. Your idea of a pointed discussion is making excuses for terrible behavior when it happens if and when you finally decide to admit that it did.

He didn't "cuss at football practice". He cussed out his coach. I understand how not wishing to acknowledge the difference makes it sound better though.

Your "big brother" comment is hilarious. I actually disagreed with him about the LB'er situation with the Browns. Sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I agree with him. But your response is a reflection of our society today. It's as if when you don't agree with someone 100% of the time, you must be against them all the time. No room for shades of gray anymore.

No matter your displeasure or utopian vision of Moore, there is a reason to be concerned moving forward based on past behavior. And it was the very recent past. That doesn't mean something bad will happen. That doesn't mean there is a cause or reason to predict it will happen. What it does mean is based on recent behavior it's something to be concerned about.

That's what a realistic gray take on things look like instead of trying to pretend it's a black or white issue.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here's a scouting report on Moore - again, take it for what it's worth - just another opinion.

https://assets-global.website-files...df859ad7b49d_CFM21_WR-s_Moore_Elijah.pdf

P
Legend
Legend
P
Elijah Moore isn't Tom Brady. But I certainly agree with you that if the Browns are winning, virtually nobody will care about anything else. And I mean nothing else. As sad as that is.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Mac....nobody has said that linebackers don't matter.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There has been more drama on this site about Moore than Moore has created with his off field actions.

His character will become apparent soon enough. Let his actions with the Browns speak for him as a person.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

2 members like this: guard dawg, Ballpeen
L
Legend
Legend
L
Agreed. Good post. The “you weren’t there so you don’t know Jack” is a weak argument

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
There has been more drama on this site about Moore than Moore has created with his off field actions.

His character will become apparent soon enough. Let his actions with the Browns speak for him as a person.

Yep.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Peen...some of your quotes concerning the LB position are listed below...

...#1..."Backer units are the weakest group because teams have the LB position at the bottom of the totem pole on the defensive unit." 

...#2..."Being the least important group on the defensive side, I don't know."

Last edited by mac; 06/30/23 11:50 AM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
Basically we are going to be short passed to death then when we switch
To pasrushers everyone will run on us.
This team as it is currently constructed will surrender 25 to 30 points agame.

Isn't the solution to this having LBs and safeties that can fly to the ball?

Hey Oobs. Maybe I have been sleeping, but I haven't seen you in a while.

Welcome back.

Thanks! The Jets game kinda broke me, and work got SUPER hectic. Now that that's mostly behind me, I'm allowing myself to hop back on the board.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

...#1..."Backer units are the weakest group because teams have the LB position at the bottom of the totem pole on the defensive unit." 

I know what I said. I believe that.

I never said they aren't important. They just aren't as important as the other units.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's exactly right. The LB's are an important piece of a D but in today's NFL not as important as a good secondary and a D-line especially edge rushers. Years back when teams played a 3-4 and offense's ran first they were probably the most important unit on D. Remember when teams came into every game and tried to ESTABLISH the run? Certainly not anymore.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 06/30/23 04:15 PM.
Legend
Legend
Missed you, OoberN. Welcome home! Great seeing you again.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...shers-beat-out-immensely-talented-49ers/

Very interesting article about defensive position groups. Nice that the Browns are finally recognized for their edge rushers. Also, very interesting that 2 of the top ten are off the ball linebacker groups or 20% of the ranked groups. As stated about the 49ers LB group: "The duo is one of the best in the league and the backbone of a dominant 49ers defense." Maybe the LB group is not as important as the other groups in the Browns clubhouse but at least 2 winning teams think very differently.

L
Legend
Legend
L
5. Browns edge rushers
For years, the Browns pass rush began and ended with Myles Garrett -- one of the best edge rushers in the NFL. Garrett finally has a complimentary edge rusher that can help him out in Za'Darius Smith, a huge upgrade over what Jadeveon Clowney brought Cleveland last year.

Of course the pair haven't played a snap together, but their resumes speak for themselves. Garrett recorded 16 sacks last season, trailing only Nick Bosa for most in the NFL. His 73 pressures were sixth in the league and his 26 quarterback hits were tied for eighth, finishing with a 16.1% pressure rate as he earned second-team All-Pro honors. The definition of consistency for a pass rusher, Garrett has the second-most sacks (32) and tackles for loss (35) over the last two seasons, also compiling the fourth-most pressures (152).

Smith was coming off a back injury that limited him to just two games the season prior, recording his third double-digit sack season in four years. He finished with 10 sacks on the year and earned a Pro Bowl appearance.

Smith notched 78 pressures and 24 quarterback hits in 2022, finishing with a pressure rate of 16.7%. He finished fourth in the league in pressures. Of pass rushers with more than 500 defensive snaps, Smith was behind only Nick Bosa, Micah Parsons, and Trey Hendrickson in pressure rate.

Two of the top edge rushers in the NFL are on the same defensive line. The Browns pass rush should feast in 2023, even if the depth behind Garrett and Smith is still in question.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
49'ers - Yes.

Ravens - not so much. R. Smith very good. Patrick Queen, please.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

I never said they aren't important. They just aren't as important as the other units.

Peen...No doubt about "THE BROWNS devaluing the LB group", especially under the leadership of those calling the shots over the last 3 yrs or so....under GM Berry and DC Woods.

Many are counting on the Browns new Defensive Coordinator, Jim Schwartz to fix what is wrong with the Browns defense. Schwartz played LBer in High School and lettered all 4 yrs in college, playing LB at Georgetown. Schwartz went on to coach the LBer position in college and in the Pros before being named as a Defensive Coordinator for the Titans, Bills and Eagles as well as HC of the Lions.

I do not expect Jim Schwartz to devalue the importance of the Browns LB position like Joe Woods did in past few years.

Also, it would not surprise me if the Browns added additional LB talent. Whatever it takes to improve the Browns defense.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So what has been done to address the LB'er position during this off season under Schwartz? Is it your contention that Schwartz hasn't been current in keeping up with the changes to the NFL since he played in college? How you have so many more passing teams with multiple WR sets now than you did then? That you need to have LB'ers who can cover in the backfield? Or are you suggesting that Schwartz was insistent on upgrading the LB'er position during the off season and the Browns FO ignored him?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
pit...obviously you did not read my post above yours where I posted ...

[quote]No doubt about "THE BROWNS devaluing the LB group", especially under the leadership of those calling the shots over the last 3 yrs or so....under GM Berry and DC Woods.
/quote]

Concerning DC Schwartz..his record speaks for itself..

On January 19, 2016, Schwartz was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles to be their defensive coordinator under coach Doug Pederson. Inheriting one of the league's worst defenses, Schwartz made an immediate impact. Implementing his 4-3 defense, Schwartz turned around the defense that previously ranked 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed to 13th and 12th in his first season and fourth in both categories during his second. He would eventually lead the defense to his and the Eagles' first Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LII. On January 7, 2021, Schwartz announced that he was going to step away from coaching due to health issues and resigned from the Eagles. link

P
Legend
Legend
P
I can't imagine Schwartz being persuaded in coming to Cleveland without having some say in the overhaul of the defense. It seems as though you can. And while you posted how great his defense was in 2021 what you did not address was the LB position on that defense. From a consistency standpoint his top 2 LB'ers were ranked 23rd and 26th. There was no other LB'er on that roster who ranked in the top 50. While it's certainly better than what the Browns have it is a clear indication he didn't accomplish that championship defense by having the top LB'ers in the NFL by any means.

https://fftoday.com/tools/crank.php...Starters=1&View=Games&LeagueID=1

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I can't imagine Schwartz being persuaded in coming to Cleveland without having some say in the overhaul of the defense. It seems as though you can. And while you posted how great his defense was in 2021 what you did not address was the LB position on that defense. From a consistency standpoint his top 2 LB'ers were ranked 23rd and 26th. There was no other LB'er on that roster who ranked in the top 50. While it's certainly better than what the Browns have it is a clear indication he didn't accomplish that championship defense by having the top LB'ers in the NFL by any means.

https://fftoday.com/tools/crank.php...Starters=1&View=Games&LeagueID=1

pit...I'm not relying on some FANTASY STATS but I am referring to Schwartz's ability to improve and build the Browns defense capable of winning a real Super Bowl.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure what that has to do with the LB'er position.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It does show that Schwartz can have a very effective defense without top tier LB’s

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by mac
pit...obviously you did not read my post above yours where I posted ...

[quote]No doubt about "THE BROWNS devaluing the LB group", especially under the leadership of those calling the shots over the last 3 yrs or so....under GM Berry and DC Woods.
/quote]

Concerning DC Schwartz..his record speaks for itself..

On January 19, 2016, Schwartz was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles to be their defensive coordinator under coach Doug Pederson. Inheriting one of the league's worst defenses, Schwartz made an immediate impact. Implementing his 4-3 defense, Schwartz turned around the defense that previously ranked 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed to 13th and 12th in his first season and fourth in both categories during his second. link

ok

How much credit needs to go to the eagle offense. in 20Ifive, twenty fifteen, the Eagles had Chip Kelly OC and sam Bradford at @B.
Bradford had a weak TD to int ratio.
30th in yards and 28th in points bc the twenty fifteen eagle offense couldn't keep itself on the field,
which artificially would make the eagle D look worse, in twenty fifteen,
Which
would, in MY book, take away from any D improvement made by the new coordinator Schwartx in 20I6, because,
if the Offense got better Under Pederson and Wentx?
then the D would get better without improving, like drafting in Nascar, the car goes faster while using less power.

Much like the Browns, until they figure out how to play offense on game days
it won't matter HOW great they build the defense.

The Offense has to be able to keep itself on the field, or get scores when leaving the field.

and the Defense,

it needs to score points

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac

Peen...No doubt about "THE BROWNS devaluing the LB group", especially under the leadership of those calling the shots over the last 3 yrs or so....under GM Berry and DC Woods.

Many are counting on the Browns new Defensive Coordinator, Jim Schwartz to fix what is wrong with the Browns defense. Schwartz played LBer in High School and lettered all 4 yrs in college, playing LB at Georgetown. Schwartz went on to coach the LBer position in college and in the Pros before being named as a Defensive Coordinator for the Titans, Bills and Eagles as well as HC of the Lions.

I do not expect Jim Schwartz to devalue the importance of the Browns LB position like Joe Woods did in past few years.

Also, it would not surprise me if the Browns added additional LB talent. Whatever it takes to improve the Browns defense.

I am really confused about how this LB conversation is still going on.

Remember back to last year's games. What sticks out about our defense?

1. Secondary breakdowns (Jets game)
2. Defensive line getting owned on running plays (see Atlanta game)
3. Questionable coaching

I'm not saying our LB group is a room of world-beaters, but they were also so far down the list of things to worry about. The only thing I might be worried about is #1 on that list since our personnel changes have been minimal (I know that we signed safeties and got rid of JJ3, but those busted coverages were usually a tandem effort between a CB and a safety, no?)... however, I think a lot of that leftover worry is mitigated by addressing #3.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by mac

I am really confused about how this LB conversation is still going on.

Remember back to last year's games. What sticks out about our defense?

1. Secondary breakdowns (Jets game)
2. Defensive line getting owned on running plays (see Atlanta game)
3. Questionable coaching

I'm not saying our LB group is a room of world-beaters, but they were also so far down the list of things to worry about. The only thing I might be worried about is #1 on that list since our personnel changes have been minimal (I know that we signed safeties and got rid of JJ3, but those busted coverages were usually a tandem effort between a CB and a safety, no?)... however, I think a lot of that leftover worry is mitigated by addressing #3.

oobs...first, welcome back...we should probably expect the subject matter of this thread to continue until the fans can see improvement in the defense's performance, comparing 2022 vs 2023.

While I agree with your noticing #1.#2 and #3, I will add that I constantly caught myself saying to myself...OH NO, who is covering the flat..?

...then watching our Browns defensive players looking at each other as if to say, it wasn't my responsibility to cover the flat.

From game one of last season to late in the season, Woods was unable to adjust the Browns defense to insure that the flat was defended.

I expect to see improvement in the basic area of defensive responsibility each Browns defensive player is responsible for...know your assignment..then execute it.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think that, to a large degree, this defense is so strong ON PAPER that we are all expecting them (and have been expecting) to be playing unbelievable ball. I have to keep reminding myself that this group hasn't done much more than disappoint so far. They gotta go out there and do it.

Still, I'm optimistic as I think we've taken steps to address each of our main weaknesses.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
I constantly caught myself saying to myself...OH NO, who is covering the flat..?

...then watching our Browns defensive players looking at each other as if to say, it wasn't my responsibility to cover the flat.

From game one of last season to late in the season, Woods was unable to adjust the Browns defense to insure that the flat was defended.

And there you have it. That's one of the big reasons he is no longer here. Terrible communication on the defense. Even with all of the talent in the secondary we saw some of the same thing. I still have no idea what that has to do with your seeming need to harp about the LB'ers.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
There is no need, but it is what it is.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rome was not built in a day, and linebacker was not as important as the DL for the Schwartz defense.

It is not that hard to figure out.

We could have Lavonte David and Fred Warner playing, and we would build around that. But the Browns had more urgent needs.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The defense should be improved. We will see how the Browns do against the run and if they can get off the field on 3rd downs. Can not allow teams to drive down the field resulting in a TD or FG. Schwartz's schemes should let the playmakers on D shine. Let's see if the Browns defense can get a stop with the game on the line.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Something that this discussion keeps circling but hasn't pinpointed is that Schwartz's scheme is intended to be simpler and more aggressive. From media reports that I've seen most of the blown coverage issues came from the multitude of variables in Woods' zone coverages. Guys were thinking too much and at times being confused about their assignments. Schwartz is expected to play much more man coverage. So DBs can play more instinctually.

Similarly, the DLs first priority will be one-gap penetration. Although I think there will be a heavy use of stunts to get favorable DL matchups so the front 7 can be disruptive. LBs will obviously have their run fits to support the DL.

So some of the same players who had problems with Woods' zone-heavy scheme will have different and hopefully more opportunities to make plays in the new scheme.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
In addition the strength of our corners is man coverage. We played zone a lot last season. I don't have the numbers and don't feel like getting them.

But, Ward, Newsome, and Emerson are very good man guys and I believe they will benefit from playing under Schwartz.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard