Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've seen stats from last season, don't remember if they were PFF or whatever, the Browns secondary graded out much better in man coverage than in zone. I think it's been mentioned in some of these threads.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah it has been. Our CBs are considered, generally, better at man but we played a lot of zone. That was an excellent post you wrote about the D and Jim’s defence, btw.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: guard dawg, Pdawg
Legend
Legend
Something that this discussion keeps circling but hasn't pinpointed is that Schwartz's scheme is intended to be simpler and more aggressive. From media reports that I've seen most of the blown coverage issues came from the multitude of variables in Woods' zone coverages. Guys were thinking too much and at times being confused about their assignments. Schwartz is expected to play much more man coverage. So DBs can play more instinctually.

As my chinese friends would say "Ed Zackery"

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by guard dawg
I've seen stats from last season, don't remember if they were PFF or whatever, the Browns secondary graded out much better in man coverage than in zone. I think it's been mentioned in some of these threads.

no doubt. I am over simplifying things here, but D is about read and react.

Our corners are good enough to stick close to their guy for the first 15 yards. After that the pass rush needs to be pinching on the QB to rush the throw. I think we now have some guys not named Garrett who can do that. Clowney could do that but I am not sure Woods didn't have him in some sort of contain, set the edge first type situation

If we get pressure, which Schwartz's D is set up to do then we should be in pretty good shape. Teams are going to still complete passes, and with man. sometimes the receiver is going to shake his man and we will give up a big play. That's football, but I am pretty encouraged with the prospect of a pretty decent D.

It's all new, so I am not expecting a top 5 D or anything like that this year. I will agree with a point Mac hammers that we could get better at the backer position, but I do expect to see a natural improvement with a better defensive front. The best backers usually have at least one tackle who can command at least attention by a guard and center. Ray Lewis thrived to a large degree because he had the Goose in front of him. If a center can handle one of the DT's, a guard is free and he can push a backer all over the field, all day long. That said, I can see us as a top 15 D. Maybe pushing near top 10.

You can win with that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Unit play is critical in football.

The defense begins with the defensive front. That unit keys the second level and then the secondary.

Schwartz wants the front fresh. He wants a strong rotation of players along the line to keep all of them fresh.

This camp will be fun to follow because that rotation is still to be determined. Hurst could be a guy to keep an eye on. He has good tape but has been injured. He could play a big role if he can stay healthy.

If Schwartz can get high production and consistent pressure from his front. The rest should fall into place. Walker is a smart player. Hopefully he is fully recovered. I expect JOK to play better and have more impact in the second level.

Our secondary should be improved. We have depth at corner and good starters. The safety's will have a more defined role under Schwartz. McLeod knows the Schwartz system. Thornhill was signed to play in this system. Depit should benefit from their experience.

Defense in Camp will be really important. They do not have the luxury to work it all out by mid season. They have to come out ready to play for game one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
I'm linking an article from the PD about the play of Linebackers in Schwartz's scheme. The article illuminates several points of discussion from this thread. Whether it will inform any posters' opinions is up to the reader. What it does is provide tangible, visible evidence of how LBs and DL in Schwartz's scheme are intended to work in tandem.
Good article

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm getting a "server not found" message when clicking on the link you provided.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks for the correction. It was much what I had expected with some new information in how Schwartz forces the opposing offense to react to his defense rather than the other way around.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm getting a "server not found" message when clicking on the link you provided.

He did say it would be up to the reader to inform opinions... :-p

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
The main thing I'm getting from that is while the new scheme SHOULD help to keep OL off of our linebackers, and help our defense play fast overall, it still requires our LBs to be consistent tacklers. Other than JOK and maybe Walker, do we have guys that will consistently step up and make the stop?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
I’ve always liked what Takitaki brings to the table, I think he’s a solid tackler especially against the run.JMO.

gmstrong

-----------------

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by oobernoober
The main thing I'm getting from that is while the new scheme SHOULD help to keep OL off of our linebackers, and help our defense play fast overall, it still requires our LBs to be consistent tacklers. Other than JOK and maybe Walker, do we have guys that will consistently step up and make the stop?

LBs will have to make plays there is no doubt about that. The Browns front has been notorious for misalignment in past versions that contributed to poor tackling. Another factor is in previous defensive systems the DL hadn't been schemed to reset the line of scrimmage to the degree that the Schwartz system will require. Players have to supply proper technique, consistency and effort. I'm certain that Schwartz knows what that looks like play-in and play-out. If it's evident our LB unit isn't meeting expectations I'd like to think there will be no hesitation to make changes. There is too much at stake this season for mediocrity.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I’ve always liked what Takitaki brings to the table, I think he’s a solid tackler especially against the run.JMO.
he's one of our most reliable dudes, especially from an effort standpoint. I agree.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
From when we first drafted him I always liked Jacob Phillips. He hasn't shown a lot and has been injured too but I'm hoping under JS he can finally be the player here he was in college. If I remember correctly when he came out they said he was a good tackler and played sideline to sideline. Hope Js can bring that type of play out of him.

Legend
Legend
This is a solid read, Guard Dawg; I just got back to it. On paper, it seems to address, and hopefully correct, issues that happened regularly last season. Making the offense perform and react to you on D is good football. I like the constant pressure, even in "vanilla" sets in the base. It just seems logically correct. If we gave people some trouble with the Woods scheme, then this seems like it has to cause more mayhem IMO. I am anxious to see it. Go, Browns!

PS We are undefeated!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: guard dawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
he's one of our most reliable dudes, especially from an effort standpoint. I agree.

I agree... hoping his rehab has gone well... not sure what we'll get out of him this year....

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
the offense is the problem, and that starts with the coach, the kicker, and the passing inside the opponents 30.
Coach Kevin can't get a hit with runners in scoring position, for a baseball analogy
game situational decisions.

Analytics only puts your team in position to tell the other team, how hard they have to work... to beat you, and b/c it's the NFL, they do, ... ten times out of 20.

the defense is mostly fine, you have to score fifty points a game,
and that fifty by your offense is what defense is all about,
it doesn't make sense until...
but your defense needs a good offense to be a good defense
and then
your offense needs to be good against a good defense, to help your own defense be good.

everything is about offense, everything,
even trying to be a good defense, starts with your offense trying to control the game, and dictate to the other team what your team is capable of,
even the field goal kicking, starts with the offense.

it's ninety nine point nine percent about offense and the rest is making sure the offense puts the defense in a position to capitalize on the other teams offense being put in a jam, by your own teams offense, earlier, which means the other teams offense has to take chances and makes a mistake
which can lead to a defensive score ... which is the result of your own offense doing well, before, when they were on the field,
even wwii was started by offense,
finished by offense and everything in between was offense...
except the Russian,? except the siege of the russian city, and maybe a few wolf pack uboat actions.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I agree... hoping his rehab has gone well... not sure what we'll get out of him this year....
anybody heard?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P

Browns LB Sione Takitaki feels ready to 'make a big comeback' after recovery from torn ACL

After spending the tail end of his 2022 campaign on injured reserve, Cleveland Browns linebacker Sione Takitaki feels he is ready to start the new season healthy and good to go.

Takitaki's fourth year in the NFL ended prematurely when he suffered a torn ACL in Week 13 against the Houston Texans. Seven months later, the 28-year-old is preparing for another campaign and planning to make a resurgence on the field.

"I am excited," Takitaki said on an episode of Best Podcast Available, via the team’s website. "The rehab process has been going well. I like where I am at. Just been rehabbing a ton and just trying to get back to physical form. I like where I am and feel we can make a big comeback. I am ready to help anywhere I can."

Although Takitaki had an unfortunate ending to his season, he still played in a total of 12 games, starting eight. During 2022, Takitaki recorded 36 solo tackles, 71 combined tackles and one quarterback hit. The 80th overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft also logged one sack and one forced fumble.

Despite the season-ending injury, Takitaki re-signed with Cleveland on a one-year deal in March after his rookie contract expired. Now, as he is going into his fifth year with Cleveland, Takitaki hopes to resurrect his skill set to help the Browns' defense succeed under new leadership in defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

The Browns added Schwartz this offseason to bring new ideas and take on a leadership role to help the defense prosper. Schwartz has a long résumé, but one of the most notable achievements from his coaching career came during the 2017 campaign when he helped lead the Eagles' defense to Philadelphia's first-ever Super Bowl win. Now, as Schwartz takes on the job of leading the Browns' defense back to the postseason, Takitaki anticipates that with his new DC, he can even get more action out on the field.

"We have a lot of character guys and talent in the defensive room, and he comes in and sets the tone," Takitaki said. "That's one thing I just feel was his leadership presence. Not to tell so much about the scheme, but as a linebacker, I can get some sacks. I am excited about that."

Training camp is set to begin this week, which will ramp up Takitaki's rehab and help him gain the strength he needs for a smooth transition back.

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-lb-sione-takitaki-feels-ready-to-make-big-comeback-torn-acl

#gmstrong
2 members like this: Ballpeen, GMdawg
Legend
Legend
awesome thanks

B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks

I didn't expect any real hangup. ACL repair is fairly routine stuff these days. It just takes 10 or so months to fully heal.

No doubt there can be complications. Infection being the #1 complication, as we saw with Bentley 15 years ago. If that was a problem, we probably would have known about that some months ago.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Online
Legend
It appears from camp reports that the players are responding well to Schwartz and the scheme he wants to play.

Knowing the draft profile reports of the secondary. Ward, Newsome, and Emerson were guys who excelled at man coverage.

How the defense plays under Schwartz will be super important. If players believe in what they are being taught. That alone goes a long way in how they perform.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m very confident in our D. Lots of talent, a great coordinator, so if we stay healthy I expect that we’ll be a formidable unit. My biggest worry about this team is Watson, and if can recapture his form. And oh yeah I’m somewhat concerned about our kicker. But that’s another topic

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Of all the many moves the Browns have made since the end of last season. It maybe that hiring Schwartz will be the most productive.

The defensive players are being coached and held accountable. Their roles have been clearly defined. In listening to different defensive players from Myles to Newsome and others like Shelby Harris. The scheme fits the players. Za'Darius is another guy along with Tomlinson free agents that want to play this scheme.

I would not put this into the hype column. It is an observation. It still has to transfer to results.

However, I am encouraged. The defense last year was not good. It has to improve in order to succeed.

2 members like this: mgh888, PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
There's a long way to go to prove the theory... But I agree. I was 100% amped to land Schwartz and I think he'll make this a very very good D. I think we'll look at what he does with players like MG, JOK and even Delphitt and realize how incompetent Woods is/was. Still scratch my head at the love that hlguy got.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Ya know in theory I didn't have a problem with Woods.

I don't believe the problem was his scheme. IMO what became the problem was that he didn't change or adapt.

When problems started with communications and then assignments. It was not working. Ward, Newsome, Emerson were guys who excelled at man coverage. Woods kept to his ideas.

In addition Berry did not help him. The DL outside of Myles was not good. DT became a liability. Centers and guards were taking out linebackers.

Berry saw the reality. So, he revamped the DL. Schwartz was given the defense. I am sure he had a hand in player selection in FA and the draft on defense.

This defense now is Jim Schwartz's defense. If the defense can get into the upper third in rankings. We should do well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think his obvious intention to play more man coverage and allowing JOK to be more of a read and react LB'er from what I've seen in the preseason indicates that he has his pulse on using players to their strengths. Often times coaches have talent at their disposal but by not putting them into the position to play to their strengths handcuffs them from reaching their full potential on the field. This basic fundamental alone shows me every indication this D will perform much better and be much more effective.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In these preseason games, even though the personnel has been mainly depth the intensity and aggressiveness have been noticeable. The reports out of the inter-squad practices with the Eagles from day 2 when the Eagles were forced to react to the Browns' defensive performance from day 1 made a statement as well. Diabate showed what linebacking can look like in this scheme. Hurst rounding into form, Ika making a goal-line stop, and Hickman coming up with multiple INTs. I'm sure I'm missing something but the indicators are trending upward.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The game Saturday against the Chiefs will be fun to watch.

So, far the defense has been playing straight up 4-3 and sometimes 4-4. But we have not seen the big dawgs hunt.

Myles and Z can bring it. Now with Tomlinson and Harris inside. I want to see them get up field. Z and Obo are way better than Clowney in pure pass rushing. Clowney's strength IMO was backside against the rush.

Juan Thornhill's presser today was interesting. He said at practice the front is getting fast pressure. He said two back pedals and the ball is out because the front is closing fast. Juan was very upbeat about Schwartz and the defense.

Wow time is flying. Come Sunday two weeks and game on.

I am cautiously optimistic. I am trying to be objective about the roster. It looks like we have the talent. At the same time I have no illusions about how talented the AFC is. The North by most accounts is going to be the toughest division. I believe that.

Games are very close. It will not be easy. Hopefully it will be fun.

P
Legend
Legend
P
As you eluded to the season will be tough as it always is. And yes, the AFC North is most certainly one of, if not the most tough divisions in the NFL. As per usual the preseason is played using very vanilla and simplistic schemes on both O and D. So we most certainly haven't seen the bag of tricks that will both be deployed on O with watson at QB nor what Schwartz has dialed up on D. I can say I haven't been this optimistic about the Browns possibility of being a top 10 NFL team since before our return in 1999. In order to be in it at the end you must first be a top 10 team or you won't be there to have a shot in the first place.

There are of course injuries which could occur that can greatly impact that and of course how watson performs that will be major ingredients in all of this that remain to be seen. But there is certainly just cause to believe it's a real possibility.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
Of all the many moves the Browns have made since the end of last season. It maybe that hiring Schwartz will be the most productive...

I said it when we got Schwartz: he might be the best coaching hire - including any HC- we’ve made since the return.

gmstrong

-----------------

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
What's amazing id that he actually got his start here before The Move.
Look up "The Slappies" from the Belichick era. That was one impressive collection of burgeoning talent.

We're lucky to have him at 76 Groza.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
4 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, PitDAWG, jfanent
O
Legend
Legend
O
With the possible exception of SKI, I think our FO and Coaching staff is all pro elite. Ski, the jury is still out on him IMHO. Should be no excuses this year.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
Of all the many moves the Browns have made since the end of last season. It maybe that hiring Schwartz will be the most productive...

I said it when we got Schwartz: he might be the best coaching hire - including any HC- we’ve made since the return.

If Jim Schwartz is successful in turning the Browns defense around improving their 14th ranking in total defense...given his previous experience as a defensive coordinator and as a Head Coach...he could be a candidate as the Browns next HC, if Stefanski fails to produce.

It may be that Schwartz has no desire to be a HC again so this line of discussion is nothing but speculation.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's possible. I'd also say Ventrone has a chance at that since he is asst. head coach.

No doubt Schwartz has more experience, but special teams coordinators have gone to head coach. Cower comes to mind. Given Ventrones relative youth, I'd say he might have the upper hand...assuming he has the chops for the job. If you are the owner I would think you would be hoping that whoever you hired it could become a 10+ year marriage.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Who even knows if Schwartz wants to be a head coach again? Some coaches are more comfortable as a DC

gmstrong

-----------------

B
Legend
Legend
B
Who even knows if Schwartz wants to be a head coach again? Some coaches are more comfortable as a DC

Right.

For some, it is a "been there, done that" and don't want that anymore.

There is nothing wrong with being defensive coordinator, or vice president, or machine operator if that is where you are comfortable and competent.

The "Peter Principal" says you reach your level of incompetence. Nothing wrong with that unless you can't accept it..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard