Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2023197 08/15/23 02:21 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I mostly came to ask about the LB group, what can be done besides wait for camp cuts. I’m not seeing many (any) options at LB that make sense to this team right now and I’m wondering how big a concern it’s going to be. We have 3 viable starter: JOK & Tony Fields at WILL and Anthony Walker at MIKE. JOK played 11 games last year, Walker played 3. Phillips is out and other than Fields I know nothing about the rest of the guys in that group. Any hidden jems in the group? I know Kunaszyk played last year but I can’t remember anything about him. I don’t remember any of their names being prominent during any camp or preseason game chatter.

Aside from LB, what are our most glaring weaknesses? Kicker? I’m actually feeling pretty good about most of the rest of the team but maybe I’m missing something.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're forgetting Takitaki.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't put a lot of stock into preseason games but a few things did stand out to me. One is what a LB'ers duties are is based a lot on scheme. What I saw in that preseason game against Washington was that JOK was given latitude to read and react. Not so much an assignment to a player or area of the of the field but more to diagnose the play and react to what he is seeing. In order to make the full use of his skill set I think that's the way he should be used and should have been being used all along. And while he added some bulk during the off season it didn't really seem to impact his speed or reaction time.

It may very well be the scheme in and of itself may prove to be valuable in bringing out the best in the Browns LB'ers and show it hasn't been about being weak at the LB'er position as much as it is about the way they were being used in the past. Time will tell I suppose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
5 members like this: Southwestdawg, GMdawg, DeisleDawg
Bull_Dawg #2023204 08/15/23 03:24 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Ahh, you’re right, at SAM. And Adams, though I don’t have any idea about Adams, didn’t watch the Bears. Takitaki never impressed me much but he’s indeed there. Though I think he was another injury last year?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Diabate

Legend
Legend
- QB play ... we have the potential to have a good QB, but the verdict is out. We're going to go as Watson goes. He ran well the other night, but it's tough to tell other than that. I'm hesitant to think he'll be what we need him to be.

- Kicking game. York has all of the talent you need, but he's got the yips during games. He's gotta become more consistent 45 and in.

- LB corp. But we knew that coming into the season. We've really done a nice job upgrading the DL in front of them.

- Backup RB. At some point we need someone besides Chubb to give us a spark back there.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess

Takitaki never impressed me much but he’s indeed there. Though I think he was another injury last year?

He did, Tore his ACL week 13

I remember his pick 6 for a large run against Wentz, which helped win that game. IIRC that was 2020

And the pick against Big Ben in the 4th quarter of the AFC Wild Card game which pretty much sealed the win for the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
With the kicker, I think people get too hung up on FG%. In many cases making even 1-2 more kicks makes the percentage look good enough. Had he made some of the blocked kicks his percentage would look better.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Don't forget about Jordan Kunaszyk,

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Some quick replies to some of the comments:

Takitaki was playing some good ball last season until his injury. Solid linebacker, glad we kept him. Dependable tackler, seems smart and besides, my wife giggles whenever the announcers say his name.

Sooner or little we have to give J. Kelly Jr. a real shot. Surely to hell he can pick up a block in pass protection. What’s the problem here? The guy has looked good every time he’s been on the field.

I’m only a little worried about Cade York. My biggest worry about a weakness is our HC and his decisions. Kick the FG when it’s 0-0 in the first quarter, when you’re on the road and facing fourth and goal from the sixth.. I also would like to see Watson running less, just enough to install a fear on the opposing D. Last thing we need is for our $240 million dollar man to get hurt due to some BS RPO.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #2023242 08/16/23 08:46 AM
Legend
Legend
Weaknesses?

I am sure we have them. However, it is hard to say what they are because as fans we do not get to really see all that goes on during camp.

Pre-season games have really become exhibition games. They are more for guys that are fighting to make the roster. Starters are protected as much as possible.

Veterans like Cooper, Chubb, Myles, Bitonio, Conklin, Ward they get to ramp up at their pace to be ready for the first game.

Injuries are a fear of every team. Camps used to be way more physical. That has gone out the door. It is all about being healthy.

Teams know injuries will occur so they do all they can to avoid them.

lampdogg #2023244 08/16/23 09:12 AM
Legend
Legend
IMO, the fact we haven't given Kelly a shot is all we need to know. I think he lacks some burst and doesn't run north/south enough. I have no idea about his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield though.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Our weakness are the same as its been since berry took over, lack of playmakers on defense, particularly linebackers, no kicker an our depth isn't that great at quite a few positions. I still think Stefanski doing both HC/OC is a weakness because he's not great at either and its a matter of splitting duties and really being invested as a HC and looking at the team as a system. We will see this year, no excuses from Berry/Stefanski. Our drafts have been meh, but we've spent on proven players in FA and bringing in a good DC will help tremendously. Offense is stacked the best its ever been since 99, hell probably even farther back to the kosar days.. So if they falter this year, we will be rebuilding again with nothing to build with. But I actually anticipate a playoff season if we stay healthy. All indications are that the offense really works with Watson/Chubb leading the charge.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
leadtheway #2023271 08/16/23 03:39 PM
Legend
Legend
Berry and Stefanski have produced more wins than any other HC and GM since Marty.

Quarterback play has been the hump that they have not gone over.

We have talent. DW has to deliver for the team to go anywhere.

bonefish #2023297 08/16/23 10:49 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by bonefish
Berry and Stefanski have produced more wins than any other HC and GM since Marty.

Quarterback play has been the hump that they have not gone over.

We have talent. DW has to deliver for the team to go anywhere.
Is that possible with the "organization" holding him back?
I think, b/c
the "org" ,or HC, or whatever it is, couldn't maximize the other @uarterbacks, some regular contributer on here said it best about 2.6 years ago when after a regular or preseason game that in Case Keenum we had found another @uarterback that Head Coach couldn't win with.
Then Head coach couldn't win with Jacoby Brisset, but Jacoby was a known commodity with a low ceiling, and a history from indy,

WHOA , That all fits the latest RB they signed.... YIKES

But, back to your offensive philosophy ... and playcalling?... hurting your @uarterbacks game,

that is the real weakness
and no amount of adding talent can over trump bad coaching,
"nothing overtrumps bad coaching," > we learned that in about... 2006 ish, and that was almost 30 years ago.

ahem seventeen I mean.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #2023337 08/17/23 11:36 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish

Would you like to tell us what their record is? Saying they're the best since Marty isn't very high praise. I believe they're exactly two games over .500 at 26-24. I'm not sure that's the mountain I would wish to stand on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I think a huge weakness is that this team
Has been unable to dictate tempo or impose
It's will on the other team.
When was the last time the Browns truly physically
Dominated a team at their level or above their
Level?
The Browns have had talent. The problem is
They never had the attitude of tenacity to make
The other team hurt. Too much softness in
The roster.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
PitDAWG #2023340 08/17/23 11:59 AM
Legend
Legend
Well it is a fact.

It may not be a mountain but it is not a hole either.

I am not going to debate. I will give an opinion. Berry and Stefanski are both promising young guys in their careers in the NFL.

They are both first timers in their positions. They have had success and failures. They now have a quarterback that they both sought.

They enter this season at the crossroad.

bonefish #2023343 08/17/23 12:36 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
26-24 is also a fact. I'm not saying they're bad or that they haven't been at least somewhat hamstrung by the QB position. I believe they certainly have been. I also think that's a much more convincing argument than saying what your statement strongly implies which is, "They suck less than the incompetent idiots idiots that have been here since Marty left." With the exception of Bill Belichick of course who wasn't here long enough to amass a better record.

I would certainly say it's gotten to the point that it's put up or shut up time and I'm sure we both agree that we hope they put up.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
whats also a fact is Dorsey had more to do with it than Berry did.. Until we go to playoffs and make deep runs consistently this staff sucks.. its up to them to prove otherwise..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
leadtheway #2023663 08/18/23 04:58 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
LOL - Dorsey The Doof - hehehe...

leadtheway #2023684 08/18/23 08:03 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Excellent
2nd point who on this board predicts the 29th draft pick surrendered to Houston this year?

1st String
1st String
Well Kevin Stefanski seat is getting hotter even in the preseason.

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
Hammer #2023691 08/18/23 10:50 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Hammer
LOL - Dorsey The Doof - hehehe...

Dorsey to me was hot and cold. Some big hits with Ward & Chubb in the draft. Traded for Teller. But when you have 4 of the first 36 picks and you blow 2 of them, especially the #1 overall, that speaks volumes.

bonefish #2023708 08/19/23 08:02 AM
Legend
Legend
KS is saying all the things that have to be said in public regarding York.

However, IMO behind the scenes wheels are turning and plans are in place.

Berry cannot begin this season and all that is riding on it (including possibly his job and KS's job). Hanging from the leg of an effing kicker with the yips.

It doesn't matter if York can kick 70 yard field goals in practice. When he cannot make a 40 yarder in a game.

It is mental. It is like sinking the 8 ball with money on the shot. Or, driving balls from the tee at the driving range. Everything is in place. You are drilling the ball. You take it to the first tee and cannot hit it straight.

We don't have that margin for error. The games in the NFL are to close.

There has to be a "Plan B." Every position has a backup. Kicker can not be an exception.

bonefish #2023709 08/19/23 08:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Here is a link to available free agent kickers.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kicker/

Berry should pick three and have them tryout. Work them out at some high school. Put them on speed dial.

Give York another week. If he misses in the KC game cut him or put him on the practice squad.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Cornerback, may be a weakness
The only sure corner is Greg Willliams and he is banged up.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #2025499 09/02/23 09:53 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Done, and it is refreshing to have new kicker admit Cleveland isn't made for FG success- SKI has reasons to use all four downs.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
hitt #2025502 09/02/23 10:14 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Now that we have a new PK I don't believe we have a glaring weakness. Some say LB but we have decent players there and don't forget we had a DC last season who wasn't playing schemes to our D players strengths and a D-line that couldn't stop the run and made it tougher for our LB's. The key? staying relatively healthy. If DW plays at 75% at the level he was, I think he'll be better than that, he'll be better than any QB we've had since Bernie. There is cause for some legit optimism. JMO

T
Legend
Legend
T
No glaring weakness?
It is the Browns, we are headed toward "opening day"

If it weren't for a final second kick, ... that EVEN AFTER, they had the most Dominant first half plus five minutes defensively, against the Carollina @uarterback last year, ... even after that,
that if it weren't for a final seconds kick, then you would be looking at about the 24th consecutive opening day loss with one outlier.

so, Can we put "offseason programs inability to get the team ready, or fired up, or in sync enough, or in somehow/someway ready to play a game at the start of the year"
as a weakness. A glaring weakness.

Can we put that, there is really Nothing New from the trio of Depo, The GM, and the Head Coach,
in 2023, from 2022, as a weakness,
they are doing the same thing they have done before, relying on analytics
making sure they have the right amount of players on the right amount of contracts and hoping that their in game analytic that will re@uire them,
in the best case scenario, to recover an onside kick late in the 4th to get a win, maybe twice, maybe two onside kicks,
or, to get that first down on 3rd and inches, when even if they gain 4 yards the refs will now say it's 4th and inches,
b/c the Browns Head Coach, can't try anything new, even if ya twist his arm.
so, making player contracts... instead of finding recipes' to win individual games. < as a weakness.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I am concerned that we:

Don't have a backup G on the roster...not just poor depth at G...NO depth at G...and no...I do not think that Harris or Wypler can effectively play G. I know Dunn can be called up...but that can only be done (3) times and he could be poached with ease. We are a twisted ankle away from having Harris protect our 1/4 billion $ man;

Didn't really see much (yet) from DW leading to the expectation that he will be back to his elite self;

Have a HC who is simply not HC material;

Won't be 'ready' for the start of the season.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
WSU Willie #2025585 09/03/23 10:08 AM
Legend
Legend
I can certainly understand your concerns.

For as much as we all try to know the Browns. We don't know. It is impossible unless you are on the inside.

We depend upon others to know and the reality is. They don't know.

The coaches see everyday. They review every rep. They discuss everything they have on film which is everything.

All we can really do is watch the final results.

T
Legend
Legend
T
the eighty five bears didn't, the 03 lions didn't, < that is an example of naming another team,
now
name another team, 'besides the 202I or 22 Browns' also led by Berry and Depo, that waited until fourteen days before the opener

to realize they didn't have any kicker at all.

when they could have figured it out during the entire offseason,

I think, that no other nfl team in history, that is or was not using these stupid analytics ever did such a bone headed thing, once, let alone twice in 4 years, i.e. Seibert to the Chicago bears guy.

but Berry is apparently above @uestioning that he's all that and a bag of chips as a gm.

THROW LONG #2025590 09/03/23 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
the eighty five bears didn't, the 03 lions didn't, < that is an example of naming another team,
now
name another team, 'besides the 202I or 22 Browns' also led by Berry and Depo, that waited until fourteen days before the opener

I think, that no other nfl team in history, that is or was not using these stupid analytics ever did such a bone headed thing, once, let alone twice in 4 years, i.e. Seibert to the Chicago bears guy.

but Berry is apparently above @uestioning that he's all that and a bag of chips as a gm.

Maybe they knew what they wanted to do sooner, but were waiting for a guy to get cut or the price to go down. Or they were hoping York would get it sorted out between the ears because he's a talented kid.

We got a historically above average kicker (% wise) for a future 7th. Much ado about nothing.

The '85 Bears had a rookie kicker that missed 6 FGs and then went 28/41 in '86. Just saying.

Fiercely Independent.
WSU Willie #2025592 09/03/23 10:55 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe Dunn is on the active roster now, I think it happened when they put Alex Wright on IR.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #2025594 09/03/23 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...I don't think Wright got put on IR. Last I heard, he was back practicing.

I think Dunn is still on the PS. Hurst was signed back to the active roster when the LB (K name I can't spell) went on IR.

Fiercely Independent.
WSU Willie #2025596 09/03/23 11:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I am concerned that we:

Don't have a backup G on the roster...not just poor depth at G...NO depth at G...and no...I do not think that Harris or Wypler can effectively play G. I know Dunn can be called up...but that can only be done (3) times and he could be poached with ease. We are a twisted ankle away from having Harris protect our 1/4 billion $ man;

Didn't really see much (yet) from DW leading to the expectation that he will be back to his elite self;

I actually kind of want to see Hudson inside.

Fiercely Independent.
THROW LONG #2025600 09/03/23 11:12 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

In history? History hell, it happened this year......

Veteran Kicker Nick Folk Excited About His New Opportunity with the Titans

Aug 31, 2023 at 03:58 PM

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/new...bout-his-new-opportunity-with-the-titans

rofl

And then there's the Bronco's trading to get Wil Lutz from the Saints also this year on august 29th. That's twice just this year.

#gmstrong
Bull_Dawg #2025602 09/03/23 11:16 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I am concerned that we:

I actually kind of want to see Hudson inside.
this would be a welcomed experiment

Dawgs4Life #2025612 09/03/23 12:32 PM
Legend
Legend
I expect that Dunn will be a PS player called up to the 53 on gameday.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Weaknesses

Link Copied to Clipboard