Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Legend
Legend
Browns released Anthony Schwartz.

A failed experiment that had to happen.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/browns_releasing_anthony_schwartz/s1_16697_39181074

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Whatever scout convinced Anthony Berry that Anthony Schwartz was worth drafting
In RD 3 should be fired. What a true definition of draft bust
Hopefully Mary Kay Kool Aid will stop making excuses
For him now

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My understanding (so please confirm) is that the top 53 salaries count against the salary cap.
As for players on IR - no recollection but my guess would be that they do not

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
His release was a year too late as far as I'm concerned although at this time last year, we probably didn't have anyone better to replace him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
My understanding (so please confirm) is that the top 53 salaries count against the salary cap.
As for players on IR - no recollection but my guess would be that they do not
I have no idea about the salary stuff. That would make sense though

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
His release was a year too late as far as I'm concerned although at this time last year, we probably didn't have anyone better to replace him.

This was going to be his 3rd season. You don't cut a drafted player after 1 season unless they are discipline type problems. We cut him at the right time. If we kept him this season, that would be a sign that ego was interfering with making sound decisions.

It was a bad pick.

Blown picks happen and can be forgiven. Sticking with it can't.

We didn't. We washed our hands and moved on.

I have followed the Browns a long time. If you follow the team long enough, you can list off dozens of bad picks, and there will be dozens more. It's just the way it goes. Over time you learn to not expect perfection out of an imperfect process.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I agree. He had two full seasons and a third TC to prove his value. Good luck to him but it shows yet again there’s more to being a good football player than your time in the 40 or how many squats you can do.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Wypler had similar stats though in fewer snaps

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure who tracks and publishes preseason stats but found this from august 13th 2023
This would be from the 1st two preseason games

Dawand Jones: 1 pressure on 36 snaps
Luke Wypler: 0 pressures on 22 snaps

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...ustin-watkins-ronnie-hickman-luke-wypler

Last edited by Jester; 08/27/23 07:53 PM.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Yeah I agree. He had two full seasons and a third TC to prove his value. Good luck to him but it shows yet again there’s more to being a good football player than your time in the 40 or how many squats you can do.

No doubt.

One can't forget that Schwartz played at Auburn. That is big time football no matter the standard. It's not like we drafted a nobody from nowhere.

It just didn't work out. Time to move on.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

If I had to guess it was about conditioning. He is a guy who is going to have to pay attention to that. When you are that big, the odds are you are going to get bigger as you get a little older.

If he works hard he can keep his weight in check. If he is like most people, he is going to gain weight.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
I see this and then get angry that we can't accelerate his progress to start for Wills right now haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

No doubt.

One can't forget that Schwartz played at Auburn. That is big time football no matter the standard. It's not like we drafted a nobody from nowhere.

Auburn is not a college that produced high end NFL WRs
Hello anyone recall Sammie Coates or Ricardo Louis ?
If Schwartz was any good then Bama Georgia or UT would
Have been recruited him heavily

Legend
Legend
Cedric Tillman, Dawand Jones & Dorian Thompson-Robinson... if Siaki Ika -or- Isaiah McGuire work out, this could end up being a great draft. Not bad for not turning in a card 'til pick 11 in the 3rd round.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Cedric Tillman, Dawand Jones & Dorian Thompson-Robinson... if Siaki Ika -or- Isaiah McGuire work out, this could end up being a great draft. Not bad for not turning in a card 'til pick 11 in the 3rd round.
I said the same thing too. All of the rookies have had a good preseason. Throw in the CB we drafted from NW too.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With Jones, the issue was never physical skills, the concerns were always conditioning and weight.

The Browns look like they made a good pick. Callahan is a great coach. Stars align and maybe there will be a role for him in the future.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Callahan is a really valuable asset to us. He can develop them better than anyone

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Cleveland Browns have made the following roster moves:

Placed on injured reserve (1):

WR Jakeem Grant Sr.

Waived (9):

CB Caleb Biggers

LB Cam Bright

TE Miller Forristall

TE Thomas Greaney

CB Gavin Heslop

T Derrick Kelly II

S Nate Meadors

WR Anthony Schwartz (injury designation)

WR Jalen Wayne

Contract terminated (2):

G Colby Gossett

RB Jordan Wilkins

All NFL teams must reduce their active roster to a maximum of 53 players prior to 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/new...iZN2FuhtbUt97HL01lRQQkNOyvkKSs4_0iNhEIuA

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns’ commitment, confidence in Cade York appears more shaken after kicker’s latest miss

BY TOM WITHERS
ASSOCIATED PRESS
AUG. 28, 2023 2:59 AM PT
link

CLEVELAND — Cade York may no longer have a powerful leg to stand on with the Browns.
York’s struggles this summer have eroded Cleveland’s confidence in him and coach Kevin Stefanski’s failure to commit to the second-year kicker for the season opener has raised more questions about his future.

Despite York’s misses in exhibition games, the Browns had been adamantly supporting York, a fifth-round draft pick who had an underwhelming rookie season in 2022.

That changed Sunday.

After York missed an extra point (it was nullified by penalty) and had a late field-goal attempt blocked (it looked low) in a 33-32 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Stefanski was asked if the 22-year-old will be Cleveland’s kicker in the Sept. 10 opener against Cincinnati.

He didn’t say yes. He didn’t say no.

“We always keep those internal as we get through this week,” Stefanski said on a Zoom call. ”But I’ll reiterate I think Cade is very, very talented.”

Talent has never been the problem with York. Accuracy is the issue.

While York has looked as good as ever in practice, he’s not carrying it over into games. He went just 4 of 8 on field-goal tries in Cleveland’s four preseason games, and missed potential game-winners the past two weeks.

On Saturday, York, who briefly left with a shin injury in the first quarter, had his 43-yarder with 57 seconds left deflected by Chiefs defensive tackle Phil Hoskins at the line of scrimmage. Stefanski was vague in pinpointing what went wrong.

“Obviously didn’t hit it like we wanted to and that’s something I know we want to be able to finish there as a team, so it was disappointing,” Stefanski said. “But it doesn’t change our mentality that each one of our players is going to continue to work at this thing and get better.”

That’s been the company line for weeks as York’s situation has spiraled further off course. The Browns’ stance is that he’s like any player working on his craft in the runway up to the regular season.

However, York’s inconsistency last season — he went 24 of 32 on field goals — along with the team’s attempts to protect him from outside criticism, seem to point to there being deeper complications.

During the TV broadcast, Browns general manager Andrew Berry, who used a fourth-round pick on the former LSU standout, reiterated his supported and indicated the team was prepared to begin a critical 2023 season with York.

But that endorsement came before the latest late-game failure, and now Berry may be forced to sign a veteran or at the very least have one on standby as a backup plan in case York continues to be off the mark.

Veterans Robbie Gould and Mason Crosby headline a group of proven kickers available to the Browns. There could be others for Berry to choose from this week as NFL teams trim their rosters to 53.

To his credit, York has remained confident in his ability and that he’ll turn things around.

“I want to be a weapon,” he said in Kansas City. “I know how good I am. That’s been the most frustrating thing the last month, struggling with that.”

York also grew testy with a reporter when he was pressed about why he’s not performing as well as hoped.

Stefanski said he understood York’s frustration.

“He works very hard, wants to come through,” Stefanski said. “So of course he’s going to be frustrated. I’ve been in that situation when you have to answer some questions when you’re frustrated, so we have to be pros in that situation. But these are human beings, so we do sometimes let frustrations get the better of us.”

Cleveland thought its long-term kicking situation was solved when it drafted York.

At the moment, that seems short-sighted.

___

AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

No doubt.

Auburn is not a college that produced high end NFL WRs
Hello anyone recall Sammie Coates or Ricardo Louis ?
If Schwartz was any good then Bama Georgia or UT would
Have been recruited him heavily

That doesn't mean anything.

I have posted the link, but quoted all you need to know.

https://fantasyintervention.com/anthony-schwartz-draft-profile/

Schwartz was a four-star recruit and ranked as Rivals’ 28th best wide receiver from high school in 2018. He received scholarship offers from many FBS programs, including Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Miami, and USC, before choosing Auburn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I have posted the link, but quoted all you need to know.

https://fantasyintervention.com/anthony-schwartz-draft-profile/

Peen...the following paragraph from the April 22, 2021 story from the link above, that stands out is below...

Schwartz is far from a finished product. He is still raw as a route runner and often gets pushed around at the point of contact in press coverage and occasionally has focus drops. His ball tracking skills on deep passes leave a bit to be desired as well. He will ultimately get manufactured touches at the NFL level, much like Curtis Samuel does, but needs to work on nuances of his game to become a consistent, polished receiver.

...The key moment for anyone who wants to make their living catching passes while playing football is what the receivers body does when the pass and pass defender show up at the same time. Obviously from this April 2021 article, some were pointing out Schwartz's issues staying focused on securing the ball from the time Schwartz became an NFL prospect.

So far, Schwartz has not overcome the issue.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. I am not so much sticking up for Schwartz. I am not sticking up for him at all. He hasn't gotten better. He needed to be cut. I was just posting that to answer another poster that him going to Auburn isn't why he is a poor pro player. It was simply to show he played at a big time program and had offers from other big time programs.

He wasn't just some fast guy one football program decided to put him in a helmet and pads.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
Warren Sharp
@SharpFootball
% of snaps in empty this preseason:

43.8% - Deshaun Watson

<huge gap>

18.8% - Trevor Lawrence
17.4% - C.J. Stroud
16.7% - Mac Jones
14.3% - Geno Smith
11.4% - Sam Howell
10.0% - Daniel Jones
9.1% - Justin Fields
7.1% - Colt McCoy
6.7% - Baker Mayfield
6.7% - Kenny Pickett
6.5% - Bryce Young
5.9% - Anthony Richardson
5.6% - Josh Allen
5.6% - Patrick Mahomes
5.4% - Jordan Love
4.5% - Russell Wilson
0.0% - Aaron Rodgers
0.0% - Jimmy Garoppolo
0.0% - Derek Carr
0.0% - Tua Tagovailoa
0.0% - Brock Purdy
0.0% - Desmond Ridder

(projected 2023 starters only)

Legend
Legend

did he take any 1st team snaps against starters in these games or was this record compiled against backups?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: Milk Man, JimDawg, PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Thank you!

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Legend
Legend
it had to be done

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
Bravo

B
Legend
Legend
B
Any terms released on the Hopkins trade? Obviously it had to be one of those trades to avert getting nothing for a player the Chargers were about to cut. Teams don't trade their keeper kicker.

Just looking around, a 7th rounder. Next year I guess. Cheap enough. Not a big leg, but pretty soild out to 45 yards.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2nd String
2nd String
Thank God!

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
2nd String
2nd String
The Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Chargers have agreed to the following trade:

Browns receive:

K Dustin Hopkins

Chargers receive:

2025 7th round pick

Hopkins is entering his 10th NFL season out of Florida State. Originally a sixth-round pick by Buffalo in 2013, Hopkins has appeared in 109 career games with the Commanders (2015-21) and Chargers (2021-22). He has converted 190 of 224 field goal attempts (84.8%) and 221 of 234 extra points (94.4%) for 791 total points. Last season, he connected on 9 of 10 field goal attempts and all 12 PATs in five games with the Chargers before being placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. He was named the Special Teams Player of the Week for the third time in his career following a four field goal performance, including a 39-yard game winner during Week 6 in 2022.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would have rather signed dawson

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Thank God!

1 member likes this: JimDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
it had to be done

Agreed. Would've been nice for him to figure out whatever was the issue. Having a weapon at K is really really nice (Justin Tucker). Thing is... Tucker is a stone cold assassin with a big leg attached.

Still, your kicker can't have the yips going into a season with expectations like we have.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
His career numbers are more in line with what you'd expect a reliable kicker to be. A very good and much needed move. Thanks AB!!! I'd like to add our FO has been very pro-active since the end of last season including a very promising draft class. Good job!!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 08/28/23 04:19 PM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
it had to be done

D4...you are 100% correct, it had to be done.

We have 52 other players busting their butt to win games and York has received nothing but 100% support from his teammates and our coaches regardless of his struggles.

Guess we missed something when judging Yorks ability to kick.

Legend
Legend
that's how I feel too Mac. You can't let one guy be THAT much of a detriment

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard