M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

1 member likes this: GMdawg
Legend
Legend
Googled to see his progress and found this lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Jones makes Grant look like he's about 11 years old-

damn, that dude is huge...

"too many notes, not enough music-"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I gave AB a nice compliment and now I'll do the same for someone else; our owner Jimmy Haslam and Dee Haslam also as I'm sure she has some input into our Browns. When he first bought the team he came under some harsh criticism and maybe rightfully so. He was learning to be an Owner the way a head coach or GM learns their new job. I think we are fortunate to have the Haslam's too because they've shown they care about the team, a willingness to win and they are putting their money down to do it. Not many other owners will do what JH has done. He wants to bring a Super Bowl trophy to Cleveland and he's making a strong effort. JMO

3 members like this: Ballpeen, Steubenvillian, PastorMarc
L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree with what you posted but one thing that bothered me about Haslam - it’s not so much of an issue now because I think he recognized it wasn’t working - is that he considered an expert on talent evaluation, not just players but high-ranking FO people and probably coaches.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sort of like Jerry Jones eh Lamp? LOL Just because you're very wealthy and can buy an NFL team doesn't make you an expert on football or anything else to do with it. You hire people to run the operation so let them run it. We had a guy that meddled for years when he was here. Art something or other frown At least JH learned. Maybe Dee told him. She seems like an intelligent lady!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 08/24/23 07:31 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
is that he considered an expert on talent evaluation, not just players but high-ranking FO people and probably coaches.

Do you mean by people here or in general? I always that that expert label was self-appointed.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Sort of like Jerry Jones eh Lamp? LOL Just because you're very wealthy and can buy an NFL team doesn't make you an expert on football or anything else to do with it. You hire people to run the operation so let them run it. We had a guy that meddled for years when he was here. Art something or other frown At least JH learned. Maybe Dee told him. She seems like an intelligent lady!

Both are intelligent. Like you said earlier, both have grown in to the job. The key to being an owner is the ability to hire the right folks around you, which has happened, being able to listen to what they are wanting to do, and open the checkbook. Both of which they have. There is really nothing else you can ask of an owner.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Steubenvillian
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
is that he considered an expert on talent evaluation, not just players but high-ranking FO people and probably coaches.

Do you mean by people here or in general? I always that that expert label was self-appointed.

I meant he considered “himself” an expert , I just forgot that word in my sentence lol.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
P
Legend
Legend
P
It is interesting that you brought Dee Halsam up. It could just be my perception but it seemed at the time she became more involved Jimmy let go of the reigns somewhat and allowed those he hired to delegate more of what you would think their job titles called for. It could have been a part of the maturation as an NFL owner or may have had a lot to do with her input. We'll probably never know.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You're perception fits the timeline perfectly. I think it's safe to say "we may never know... but we know".

She has been a huge resource to the team and the community.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
You're perception fits the timeline perfectly. I think it's safe to say "we may never know... but we know".

She has been a huge resource to the team and the community.

She has. All the excellent Browns video content was driven by her. She is also a driven in the charity community.

It also stems from Jimmy is getting older and the family wants to keep the Haslam name involved in their sports holdings. It makes it much easier to transfer power no matter who dies first.

The Haslam family is building a sports empire much like they built a petroleum empire. Dee is involved. JW is involved with his wife. The grandkids will.
They are in a good position. I can see them owning a NBA team outright in 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in to hockey at some point.

Some people just build a business. It doesn't matter what the business might be, it's just what they do.

Some take the risk and lose it all, some take the risk and reap the rewards.

It's the American way.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I noticed the same thing Pit that's why I brought it up. Things started to settle down after Dee's name was mentioned more and more. Again, if I had to guess I would say she is an intelligent lady with COMMON sense. Oh, and if I may add, probably a very nice person too considering all the charity work.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 08/24/23 03:16 PM.
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Joshua Dobbs named Browns No. 2 quarterback behind Deshaun Watson heading into opener vs. Bengals

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...atson-heading-into-opener-vs-chiefs.html

P.S. Boo!!! This is actually upsetting to me.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
They might want to bring DTR along slowly, so we don't ruin his career like we did other QB's.

Legend
Legend

I think it's pretty telling that she stepped down ten days before the 2018 draft.

New GM, assets out-the-wazoo, about to draft the franchise QB...

Dee to herself: "I better step aside and go babysit -- before Jimmy sends this thing sideways again." 🤣

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
DTR showed up and took the QB2 role. It sucks....I liked Dobbs but he gets a chance to start the season in ARZ.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Looks like we now have (3) 5th round picks in next years draft:

Round 2 (own)

Round 3 (own)

Round 5 (own)

Round 5 (Acquired from Panthers in Baker Mayfield trade)

Round 5 (Acquired from Cardinals in Josh Dobbs trade)

Round 6 (Acquired from Texans in Watson trade)

Round 6 (Acquired from Ravens for 229th overall pick in 2023)

Round 7 (own) ~or~ Round 7 (Acquired from Falcons in Jones trade)

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
And Kellen Mond is now staying...

Legend
Legend
I'm surprised we got that pick swap for Dobbs. Arizona stinks and is tanking lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Freed up $1.5MM as well.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I'm surprised we got that pick swap for Dobbs. Arizona stinks and is tanking lol

I'm not sure I understand why they would tank to get another new QB Murray did ok

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems like a good move

announce Dobbs as the back up

to get more value

knowing DTR may move into the back up position

I like it a lot

DTR needs to bulk up his skinny ass a bit

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

I'm not sure I understand why they would tank to get another new QB Murray did ok
they've all but said that Murray has been a terrible leader, teammate, and worker. And Caleb Williams is an ELITE QB prospect

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Seriously not to compare in a bad way

but he is the Baker the Browns had great hopes

with let downs

Legend
Legend
they've all but said that Murray has been a terrible leader, teammate, and worker. And Caleb Williams is an ELITE QB prospect

Every "Next Year's Guy" is an ELITE prospect.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Kenny Pickett vs. the Browns on Sept. 18th, 2023.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

And watch Arizona pair Williams with Marvin Harrison Jr..

Legend
Legend
David Grayson

2 Fumble recoveries
INT
2 TD

saywhat

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
And Kellen Mond is now staying...

Great move. I think the trading of Dobbs was more or less the plan when we signed him. Or at least the hope. A 5th works just fine. That puts some trade up options on the table and the 5th round still offers quality players who aren't total luck of the draw picks.

The deal is it doesn't really matter who is backing up Watson. It is all about Watson. If we end up having to play the back-up for any length of time, things aren't going well. Except in very rare cases, playing the back-up QB doesn't end well. DTR has looked good, but in very limited action and against limited opposition. I liked what I saw, but am not going to buy in to the hype just yet. The chances are good we end up trading DTR before he is ever the starter for the Browns.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
What a difference a day (or two?) makes! Pretty good article:

What I’m hearing about Browns trading Joshua Dobbs to Arizona – Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians...joshua-dobbs-to-arizona-terry-pluto.html

2 members like this: Ballpeen, FATE
Legend
Legend
thanks for posting that quick recap. Clearly Arizona hates their QB options. And I'm not surprised to see that teams have called about DTR

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have no issues with the move - it is what it is. However, I cannot honestly believe that Stefanski and Berry would even consider entering the season with a QB room that has its backups having 1 game of experience total between them with 3 passes thrown resulting in 2 completions for a grand total of 5 yards - PERIOD! I mean think about it, a QB room where your 2 backups have a grand total career passing of 5 total yards passing in the NFL.

I certainly realize that Watson is the QB and the Browns are all in with him as the starter. I also realize that injuries are part of the game and any number of QB's will go down this year. I just find it impossible to believe that with a $307,268,291 actual cash spend in 2023 (thus far), that the Cleveland Browns ownership, GM and HC would even consider entering the season with 2 backup QB's that have a combined grand total of 5 yards total passing in an actual NFL game.

I would suspect that Berry is beating the bush for some type of experienced QB to pick up before the start of the season. At least I hope that is the plan. My worry is that - not unlike last year - when Berry refused to address the DT position during the season which made it appear (that has been argued here) that the Browns were throwing the season - hopefully that same attitude isn't being used now with the thought that if Watson does indeed go down that the Browns have no chance in winning (with their bolstered roster) without Watson and with any backup QB so they'll save the money for next year.

I could be wrong but I expect Berry to announce a QB deal soon.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
With no first round picks "throwing the season" didn't make sense last year and doesn't make sense this year. The Browns didn't even have a second round pick last year so throwing the season made zero sense at all.

I agree that it seems odd to go with a back-up that's never played a snap in an NFL game and whose only competition has been against second and third string NFL talent in preseason. But then again teams draft rookie QB's early in the draft and start them at the beginning of their rookie season much less make them the back up QB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So, what veteran do you like out there?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure who's available or will be available but actually - that's Berry's job.

If I was just throwing out a few names:

Winston NOS
White MIA
Rudolph PIT
Mullins MIN
Heinicke ATL
Minshew IND

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Nice, wasn't aware of the list, those all seem like veritable prospects in a back-up situation... just in case.

I don't see a single one that screams at me that they could 'save a season', when called off the bench. More specifically, nothing that really makes one stand out over the other in that respect. So, here's my question... do you think all those dudes will be gone when Watson goes down with his season-ending injury?

Or, is it just a situation where you see a spot-start going in the win column with one of them vs the loss column with DTR? With that conclusion based solely on experience in the NFL?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard