Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2024640 08/26/23 04:29 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Show of hands ... who feels comfortable with York as our kicker for week 1?

Watson was mediocre IMO .. a few decent throws (one good one for a TD), but I still am shaky with him. He seems tentative and has slow eyes

We desperately need Nick Chubb (obviously)

Thornhill continues to impress ... and our 1st string D played very inspired

Our depth is trash ... thank goodness we don't have to watch some of them anymore

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Biggest takeaway.

In the 4th quarter of the final game, you look at individual player and not whole units ..... because most of those guys wil either be in a practice squad or bagging groceries.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
What more does York need to do to kick himself off the team?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
E
Legend
Legend
E
There needs to be an intervention. Someone needs to sit Berry down and not let him leave until he agrees to get us a new kicker. York will cost us games
. (Like he did last year)

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
... thank goodness we don't have to watch some of them anymore

York, for one! Numbers 38 (?) and 41 (Heslop) also. I don't know if keeping Hudson III is in our best interest. We have gone from one of the best offensive backfields to one of the worst (with the notable exception of Chubb, of course). Why did we let D'Earnest Johnson walk? I believe we have good depth in spots, but I trust Berry is closely watching the waiver wire....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
1 member likes this: JimDawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
Kevin can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

He is even worse to head coaching

than

Your general consensous perception of how bad York is to kickers.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
2nd String
2nd String
We need a kicker ASAP!

York cost us 2 games in the preseason. Imagine the regular season!

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yes #38 needs to be gone, and Biggers, York, and some of those backup LB/DB

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wonder if we can get a pick from the Colts for Harris. I think Wypler has shown enough to make him expendable, and Indy has had some OL injuries.

We might need to lock York, Bojorquez, and Hughlett in the stadium until gameday. It's easy to put it all on York, but they all need to get the whole operation tuned up.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm looking forward to the season.

The defense looks really good and should increase the overall snap count for the offense by getting opposing offenses off the field.
Deshaun looked good, not great, in both starts in the preseason. I trust Stefanski to make the most out of his QB (Mayfield, Brissett).
I don't think we used the preferred playbook for Watson in preseason.
Chubb didn't play and that will always matter for the defense and help Watson.
I feel bad for Jakeem Grant. What a bad break.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Do try to remember that the #1 might have played 1qtr...

A combination of #2, 3 and/or 4th stringer players played the rest of the game.

Many are just trying to impress enough to make the team.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
Where will the players only defensive meeting be where they decide
that even if they get nine+ sacks a game on defense
and 2 scores
that the offensive coaching will still put them in jeopardy of winning on gamedays.

and if that doesn't happen the league bias's for whatever reason, will manufacture a loss out of bad ref calls.

Now the Games Count.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by JimDawg
We need a kicker ASAP!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
2 members like this: PrplPplEater, JimDawg
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
We’re gonna ride or die with Cade.

Deshawn looked ok. Not 250 million ok. But ok.

I know this is a Cleveland thing (back-up qb love), but I’d rather find some idiot team to take Watson, even if we took half of the cost, and roll with DTR.

Even if he balls out, I have a tough time rooting for this guy.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Unbelievable.....get another kicker into town.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg
Originally Posted by JimDawg
We need a kicker ASAP!

Phil Dawson returns...wouldn't that be a great Browns story..?

But, given the group running the team now, there is no way this front office or owner would ever accept Dawson returning, even if he is more accurate.

That said, a video showing one good kick from 55 yds is not enough.

Last edited by mac; 08/26/23 05:46 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
Show of hands ... who feels comfortable with York as our kicker for week 1?
My hand would be up, ... at the risk of saying it too many times

When you put it up next to ,
Browns' offense has a first and ten at the 30, or a first down inside the ten, both in scoring position, what will happen next.

vs.

Cade York is about to attempt a kick,

and
which one is a bigger problem and will cost you games????

Yorks kicking woes are not even ONE TENTH the problem that the offenses' woes in scoring position and unwillingness to "attempt" big plays that could draw a thirtynine yard pass intereference flag in Your Favor, are
in costing you games

the 2nd one is So BIG of a problem,

That you may as well overlook the kicking woes entirely.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
bad news on Ward. There is the concern he's going to be out a while. He's had so many concussions

Legend
Legend
I watched the game until the 4th quarter, took a nap & recorded the rest. Just watched it. Cade York blew it. We gotta get another kicker. He just can't cut it under the bright lights.

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
that's the thing .. in practice the reports are that he's solid. So it's clearly a mental thing

Legend
Legend
I felt bad for Grant. Damn that has to be really hard given all he has come through.

The starting defense looks real good. "Z" is a man. He was dominant. The defensive front was really impressive.

Juan is a big upgrade over JJ3.

Nick Chubb makes a huge difference. Felton is not impressing me at all. Obviously the handoffs were from no reps.

The offense missing starters is hard to judge. DW looked ok. He made some good throws. He moved well. Not much to see because of the fumbles taking plays away.

Once the starters were out it was mostly players that will not make the roster.

Cade York. Berry made a mistake not having competition from the start of camp. You don't hand the job to someone who has yet to earn it.

He shanked the first xtra point. Then got hit. I don't trust him kicking xtra points let alone a winning field goal.

I would not go overboard about the offensive numbers. I don't think they mean much.

A full game with all starters is so different.

Now it gets real. Two weeks and we will really get to look under the hood.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
forgot about Grant too ... that's really crappy for him. He worked hard to return. I have to think it will be another uphill battle now. Prayers to him

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Hospital Ward out with another concussion. 4 concussions now in his NFL career. I'm surprised he's allowed to play anymore for his own physical well-being

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
On York's 1st kick (and miss), Joe Thomas made an observation that the ball did a helicopter motion, not end over end the typical way the ball is kicked. Is York a knuckle ball kicker?? I dunno but it is imperitave we bring in another kicker before Sept 10. Imagine for the other players fighting tooth and nail all game long, and your kicker shanks it in the end to cost you the game. What is more annoying is when the post game interview occurs, some player or coach will say "we have along season ahead of us, more games to play so not worried about this one loss". Well guess what, each game is important, and when at the end of the season your playoff destiny is now determined by some complicated series of events that need to happen then you'll sing a different tune

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
York has to be replaced. You can’t go into a season crossing your fingers every time he kicks. You can’t have playoff/super bowl aspirations with a serious hole at K. I call the Chargers and offer something for the loser of Hopkins, Dicker. Or sign Mason Crosby, he’s money under 50.

We need a RB 2 and 3. Not sure who to look at but Philly has alot of RB’s, they can’t keep them all. Maybe Jacob Saylors from Cincy.

I know it’s preseason, but we just don’t throw downfield.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Kevin can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

He is even worse to head coaching

You are wrong about that even though it's your opinion.

Y'all amaze me !

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Myles Garrett and Nick Chubb did not play.

The defensive front looks amazing and Myles our best player has not played.

Chubb not playing is a giant hole.

Except for York I feel pretty damn good.

Rookie
Rookie
Overall,way more positives today than negatives. I thought Watson was solid enough, great pass to Njoku for the TD and I think once gets some more players under his belt will do just fine. Defensively, our front were tremendous; linebackers not the best but will be ok in that regard.

York is York;what I mean by that is he is not going to all of a sudden turn into a Pro Bowler. You have to have a dependable kicker in this league to make any noise and I really don't think he is it for us. A shame as reports I have read is that he is tremendous in practice but nerves I guess are getting to him when it comes to in game situations. Only thing is: Are there really that many viable options out there to compete with him? Maybe see who doesn't make other teams rosters? A conundrum for sure.

Now interested to see who makes it, some tough decisions for sure imo.

When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up.-Rodney Dangerfield
Rookie
Rookie
forgot about Grant too ... that's really crappy for him. He worked hard to return. I have to think it will be another uphill battle now. Prayers to him

Yeah I was hoping he could be a very good returner for us, but injury bug got him again. Hope he gets better for his own sake, but not sure he will ever be healthy enough to be a factor in this league tbh.

Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted by redddog
We’re gonna ride or die with Cade.

Deshawn looked ok. Not 250 million ok. But ok.

I know this is a Cleveland thing (back-up qb love), but I’d rather find some idiot team to take Watson, even if we took half of the cost, and roll with DTR.

Even if he balls out, I have a tough time rooting for this guy.

Tough time rooting for him? I let his personal life thing go a long time ago, is what it is. He is our QB and hopefully he gets back to what he was in Houston.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The defensive front has looked really good to me too. Tomlinson, Harris, Z, Garrett, Ogbo, JOK, etc ... that'll be fun

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by boofers20
On York's 1st kick (and miss), Joe Thomas made an observation that the ball did a helicopter motion, not end over end the typical way the ball is kicked. Is York a knuckle ball kicker?? I dunno but it is imperitave we bring in another kicker before Sept 10. Imagine for the other players fighting tooth and nail all game long, and your kicker shanks it in the end to cost you the game. What is more annoying is when the post game interview occurs, some player or coach will say "we have along season ahead of us, more games to play so not worried about this one loss". Well guess what, each game is important, and when at the end of the season your playoff destiny is now determined by some complicated series of events that need to happen then you'll sing a different tune

I said the same exact thing in last week's Game Day thread and in this week's Game Day thread. When York kicks the ball and it goes end over end vertically or even with a little tilt, like it is supposed to, good things happen. When he kicks knuckle balls, bad things happen.The announcers last week commented on the odd spin he tends to put on the ball.

The Benglas and Ravens have excellent field goal kickers and the Steelers have a decent one as well. Outside of a strong leg, ours is light years behind them.

1 member likes this: FATE
R
Legend
Legend
R
Three most important positions in football ... GM, HC, QB.

GM is still a TBD.

Stefanski is a bottom third HC, maybe bottom fourth. He has no idea how to prepare a team or players to get ready to play. Look at the difference between two legitimate head coaches in Reid and Tomlin and how their teams practice and perform. It's night and day. Reid will play players in the preseason who need to play. Stefanski will follow a recipe and stick to it, without accounting for situation, nuance, need, or thinking about the ultimate goals. Think of the players primes he is wasting. So frustrated with this guy. He's so awful.

Watson looks mediocre at best. Can't play from the pocket. I've been told non-stop how awesome he is/was by everyone I know who follows football. He can't even play well in preseason. I don't wish injury on anyone, but I wouldn't mind DTR finding his way onto the field.

This team has 7-10 written all over it. No one has ever done less with more than Stefanski. Think about how little he has done with a top 3 edge, a top 5 OL, a top 10 CB, and the best RB in the NFL. It's crazy. Most coaches would kill for the Browns talent. They've had top 5 talent the last 3 or 4 years and he can't win.

And finally, get Gould here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A question is: Is the problem with York or the holder?
He reportedly doesn't miss in practice.
How much of that is off a tee?
Purportedly, our holder caused problems when he was in GB

I don't know the answer but feel it is a legitimate question;.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Chase McGlaughlin was 5-5 this preseason

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
And finally, get Gould here.

Send the Pats a (late) 5th for Nick Folk. York to the practice squad.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Stefanski is a bottom third HC, maybe bottom fourth. He has no idea how to prepare a team or players to get ready to play. Look at the difference between two legitimate head coaches in Reid and Tomlin and how their teams practice and perform.

Think of the players primes he is wasting. So frustrated with this guy. He's so awful.

Watson looks mediocre at best. Can't play from the pocket.

This team has 7-10 written all over it. No one has ever done less with more than Stefanski.

This is my fear - I guess until week 4 or 5 I'm not prepared to say these things are my opinion with conviction. I'm hoping by then Stefanski will have coordinated and coached the team to impressive wins and look vastly better to last year and this preseason and most of the season's he had with BM as QB. Watson had all the excuses for last season with his time away and off field issues. . . and all the fan boys came up with every excuse for him asnd kept telling me and anyone that would listen he is/was a top 5 QB and was going to be a saviour for the Browns and unshackle Stefanski who couldn't call his offense because of the incompetence of the former QB ... Well my fear is the Browns will be the same as it ever was based on everything I have witnessed so far with Deshaun as the QB of the team. And while I like and hope Baker does well in Tampa - it will be a gut punch to see Tampa do well and the Browns to miss the playoffs - if it shakes out that way.

By and large I still have no forecast or expectation for the season to come, which is new and different for me. I kind of like it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
York cost us games last year and 2 in this years pre season. From the sound of it from Stef and Berry they have all the confidence in the world for York so it doesn't sound like he will be going anywhere unfortunately. I myself wouldn't let him anywhere near the locker room cause he is terrible. He must have some trash on Stef and Berry cause if I were in either of their positions he would be the first person cut. I don't know why Haslam doesn't step in and tell them he has to go. He IS gonna cost us games if they keep him and that's pretty much a fact.

B
Legend
Legend
B
bad news on Ward. There is the concern he's going to be out a while. He's had so many concussions

Hospital Ward is a good player. Too bad he doesn't play enough.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Preseason Gameday vs Kansas City Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard