Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
P
Legend
Legend
P
While they may not e gone, if in fact it gets to the point the team may need one of them, it would certainly be nice of they were prepared and knew they system rather than having to be rushed into service in less than a week. As an aside I don't really care much about whether the team signs another backup or not. But the difference in having one prepared and knowing the system and having one that does not are two totally different scenarios.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, nobody want to crash-course that week's starting QB.

DTR has responded to the program and has shown great preparedness and execution. I think, regardless of what "vet" we bring in, he's the number two. If Watson has some injury ('nagging' or season ending), it would be two or three sub-par starts by DTR (or an injury) before we would turn to a #3. By definition that would already mean two or three losses by DTR. Now you're turning to #3 to save the season. At that point, your chances of success are slim (from a 'great expectations' standpoint, anyway). I think the Browns value the 3-5M dollars more than selling themselves on 'prevention', when prevention likely means a lost season anyway. And that's looking purely from a standpoint of 'if he wasn't here all season, we're doomed'... which isn't necessarily the case anyway.

I understand the concern and even the criticism, I just don't think it's, by any stretch, reckless. The second Watson goes down, Berry is on the phone... and number three basically has 4 weeks to get up to speed.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
5th round picks are 5th round picks but with good scouting we can find some players that can be developed for the future. The Steelers did that for years drafting guys in the 4th or 5th round and they became starters 2-3 years later usually OL or DL. We can always package a couple and move up a round or 2 also. Prudent move on our part. The play of DTR allowed us to have this flexibility. I really like the kid.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Then that begs to question why they are they restructuring all of these contracts to put off paying players in future years in order to have more cap room for this year?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree with you.

From Pluto's article there was no intent to trade Dobbs. They called.

In the end DTR beat him out. Other teams called about getting him. He has been really impressive.

At first I thought I wanted Dobbs experience. But I don't have any problem with the trade.

Berry knows what he is doing. There is a plan and they are working that plan. The cap management plan with the DW contract and the others. That was in place when the DW trade happened IMO. Berry planned on restructuring.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
Not sure who's available or will be available but actually - that's Berry's job.

If I was just throwing out a few names:

Winston NOS
White MIA
Rudolph PIT
Mullins MIN
Heinicke ATL
Minshew IND

Rudolph? Maybe he could room with Myles. banghead

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: JimDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
DTR beat him out

This is essentially the start and end of it.

The Browns believe he performed better and I don't disagree. It would have been nice to have Dobbs and DTR on the roster for QB depth, but when the team was able to get a mid-round pick while keeping the player they like better of the two, it made sense.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No one is questioning what DTR has done on the field this preseason. DTR sitting and learning behind Watson is a good move also. The elephant in the room is the total lack of experience by any of the backups. The main reason for having that experienced guy (outside of being a viable replacement in case of injury) is that you have another set of veteran eyes on the field that can relay things they see that Watson might be missing. The Browns will be sacrificing those eyes by only having DTR and Mond on the sidelines. A veteran eye who can communicate what they see to Watson may only result in 3-4 plays the entire season but those 3-4 plays could be the difference between a win and a loss or a potential playoff position. I know a lot of people think the backup just carries the clipboard and charts the plays, but an experienced vet can see things the starter might not see and could be the difference between winning and losing. Just my opinion but adding a solid veteran presence to the Browns QB room would be an asset to Watson as well as DTR.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2nd String
2nd String
Hi guys! Great comments. From what I have seen from DTR in the preseason, I agree. He certainly showed out more than Mond and Dobbs.

Obviously it is only preseason, but I think this kid has great potential whether it be with us or some other team a few years down the road.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Then that begs to question why they are they restructuring all of these contracts to put off paying players in future years in order to have more cap room for this year?

They can roll the money over to next year. These moves were made with next season in mind, where we are currently projected to be over the cap. It's just the cap game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
thanks for posting that quick recap. Clearly Arizona hates their QB options. And I'm not surprised to see that teams have called about DTR

They will probably keep calling.

Watson isn't going anywhere for at least 4 more years, and the probability is he is here for maybe 8 years. Robinso will get some selected play time, but he will remain under wraps and be the carrot at the end of the stick. At some point some team is going to make an offer we decide to take.

New England did this when Brady was there. They had 2-3 QBs they dangled in front of the league before eventually trading them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
Nice, wasn't aware of the list, those all seem like veritable prospects in a back-up situation... just in case.

I don't see a single one that screams at me that they could 'save a season', when called off the bench. More specifically, nothing that really makes one stand out over the other in that respect. So, here's my question... do you think all those dudes will be gone when Watson goes down with his season-ending injury?

Or, is it just a situation where you see a spot-start going in the win column with one of them vs the loss column with DTR? With that conclusion based solely on experience in the NFL?

I understand Steve's point, but in the end, if Watson gets hurt and misses a significant amount of time, the season is done. DTR could fill in for a game or two and we might be able to win those games. If it is a longer stretch, he or anyone else isn't going to drive us to enough wins.

I will also add that at QB, you really need them around to learn the system. You can't sign a QB on Wednesday and start him on Sunday and expect things to go well. No doubt it is a bit of a toss of the dice, but the reward isn't going to be much different than if we signed a vet.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I get your point and normally I would agree.

However, each case is different. Ideally, you want a veteran backup. You would love to have a guy who has established himself as a backup like Jacoby.

Dobbs is trying to become what Jacoby is, but he is not there yet. He has not played very much and he doesn't have the record.

The Browns were approached by Arizona. They made an offer. The Browns then had to look objectively at DTR and Dobbs and ask:

If DW goes down in a game and then may miss a few weeks. Who gives us the best chance to win Dobbs or DTR? Their answer based upon all they had seen was DTR.

As far as eyes on the sideline? That is the job of the quarterbacks coach and AVP. AVP was a backup in his day.

I don't think you can look at what is ideal because you can not always have that. You look at what you have and decide upon the best option.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

They can roll the money over to next year. These moves were made with next season in mind, where we are currently projected to be over the cap. It's just the cap game.

So what's the difference? It appears from your post you think they're simply "moving money around" with no actual reason behind it. If you restructure to pay players more in future years, then just roll over that money from this year to next year it all adds up to the same amount of money.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Quick question regarding all the cap discussion: if a high paid QB such as DW, Lamar J, Herbert etc were to get injured week one, do their remaining salaries count against the cap if they are out for the year? Or...... does that free money up to sign a replacemen?

P
Legend
Legend
P
With watson his salary is 100% guaranteed.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I understand Steve's point, but in the end, if Watson gets hurt and misses a significant amount of time, the season is done. DTR could fill in for a game or two and we might be able to win those games. If it is a longer stretch, he or anyone else isn't going to drive us to enough wins.

How can you be sure of that ?

Idon't believe in that type of thinking much

The reason I don't believe in it

Because of a player named Brock Purdy, you know Mr. Irrelevant !

Other players who came off the bench to take their team to a SB or great season

Nick Foles Tom Brady Trent Dilfer Doug Williams Jeff Hostetler Jim Plunkett Earl Morrall

Saying DTR isn't going to is just an opinion and you really don't know if he can or cannot

I would hope he could be susseccful if called to do so

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
P
Legend
Legend
P
The odds against it are enormous. But hey, it could happen.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If I understand your question.

If players get injured they still get paid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I would play against the odds

and hope for a

Big payout !!!

Fingers crossed saying

Purdy Purdy please !!!!

LOL !!

P
Legend
Legend
P
A lot of gamblers that have lost everything have followed your philosophy.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Generic odds don't necessarily apply to specific circumstances.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
note.
There is NOTHING NEW TO THE OFFENSE an offense we know couldn't take adv. of big plays if they had hall of famers at all fifty three positions including the practice s@uad.

Kevin Stefanski could finish in 4th place in the div, if he had Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Dion Sanders, keep going, keep going, all in the prime of their careers

BECAUSE the SYSTEM IS FLAWED
when it comes to getting big play on Offense

and not giving them up on Defense

How are ...................... the Cleveland media, and the team going to react when they aren't any closer to the playoffs
than last year. banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Quick question regarding all the cap discussion: if a high paid QB such as DW, Lamar J, Herbert etc were to get injured week one, do their remaining salaries count against the cap if they are out for the year? Or...... does that free money up to sign a replacemen?

Vested veterans receive the benefit of fully guaranteed salaries if they are on the Week 1 roster on game day. So to answer your question, Watson would get paid and yes - it counts against the cap.

While that’s a terrific incentive for long-term service, players on the roster bubble can be put at a disadvantage because of the guaranteed timeline.

For example, if a player is set to make $4 million in base salary but is being outperformed by a second-year player, even by a smidge, a team is likely to cut the experienced player to avoid guaranteeing his $4 million salary. That’s partially why some teams try to beat the system by releasing vested veterans during final cuts only to bring them back in Week 2 without guaranteeing their salaries for the season.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
.... they aren't any closer to the playoffs
than last year.

We're going to win 11 or 12.....and we'll be in the post-season. If not, drinks are on Purp.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More likely with DTR than Mond....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
.... they aren't any closer to the playoffs
than last year.

We're going to win 11 or 12.....and we'll be in the post-season. If not, drinks are on Purp.
I hope you are right I do. sigh. ...
^ does that eleven include beginning one and 3 after a blowout loss to cincy, and a "they played so well" in a loss to the week 2 bleh,
and another 30 points scored 2 point loss to Baltimore,
We've seen this movie before, FIX the offensive coordinator or HC, I miss Butch Davis whom I also didn't appreciate at the time.

If only we would have known, we were looking at the glory days with Butch Davis in 200I.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Generic odds don't necessarily apply to specific circumstances.

That's another thing gamblers convince themselves of right before they lose their house.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c…

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Thanks for the memories, Cade!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
While York's final FG attempt was blocked...the reason it was blocked was it was coming out too low.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
While York's final FG attempt was blocked...the reason it was blocked was it was coming out too low.

he has had a lot of kicks blocked

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by bonefish
If I understand your question.

If players get injured they still get paid.

No, I realize they still get paid, at least within certain collective bargaining agreement parameters. MY question was regarding the cap. For instance, if a team has no cap room, and a 30-million-dollar cap player gets inquired and out for the season after game 1, can the team sign other players because that inured player's cap money becomes available to the team again. I hope that's clearer.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Super...yep, too many missed and blocked...he cost us game last year and if the goal of this franchise is to make the playoffs and a shot at a Super Bowl..the Browns can't afford to lose one game because of their FG kicker.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Vested veterans receive the benefit of fully guaranteed salaries if they are on the Week 1 roster on game day. So to answer your question, Watson would get paid and yes - it counts against the cap.

While that’s a terrific incentive for long-term service, players on the roster bubble can be put at a disadvantage because of the guaranteed timeline.

For example, if a player is set to make $4 million in base salary but is being outperformed by a second-year player, even by a smidge, a team is likely to cut the experienced player to avoid guaranteeing his $4 million salary. That’s partially why some teams try to beat the system by releasing vested veterans during final cuts only to bring them back in Week 2 without guaranteeing their salaries for the season.

If I am reading you correctly when you say the injured player counts against the cap, then if a team has no cap space, and any player gets hurt, they are stuck one player short for the rest of the season, unless they cut a higher salary guy to sign 2 lower salary player? THat doesn't sound right. I can only assume there is more to te hcap if an inury happens.

P
Legend
Legend
P
they have players on their practice squad to choose from.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
they have players on their practice squad to choose from.

They do...and those guys get "real" NFL $$$ when called up.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard