Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
it had to be done

D4...you are 100% correct, it had to be done.

We have 52 other players busting their butt to win games and York has received nothing but 100% support from his teammates and our coaches regardless of his struggles.

Guess we missed something when judging Yorks ability to kick.

I don't think we misjudged much there. Like many kickers it just didn't work on the first stop.

I wanted to draft the guy, and really hoped he would be the guy. I also know we have too much riding on the season to hope he gets his head cleared. A new start somewhere else is what he needs. I don't know that he will get a shot this year, but he will be in somebodys camp next year.

I wish him well. Hopkins is young enough we can ride him(hopefully) for several seasons.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Is York still on the roster?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
we have to wait to see if he clears waivers

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Does anyone have any stats on Hopkins kicks from 50+ yards? ?

Legend
Legend
I'm sad that both York and Schwartz didn't cut it. Schwartz was so damn fast.. that could have been fun to watch...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Hopkins is like 92% from 49 and under but only 50% from over 50

He doesn't have the range of the great ones, but he's a solid guy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I'm sad that both York and Schwartz didn't cut it. Schwartz was so damn fast.. that could have been fun to watch...

He had plenty of opportunities.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

I'd say most of us thought he was fortunate to be on the team LAST year

E
Legend
Legend
E
Hopkins is like 92% from 49 and under but only 50% from over 50

He doesn't have the range of the great ones, but he's a solid guy

My bestie is a hardcore Chargers fan and he said Hopkins is pretty good.

No Craps Given
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
York was from LSU wasn't he. I think we should put a temporary hold on drafting guys from LSU. We haven't had much luck recently. rolleyes

A
Legend
Legend
A

Ironic you say that because just today, in my face book memories, I had posted a year ago: I don't care how fast you are. If you are a receiver in the nfl, part of that contract should include actually being able to catch the ball.

Legend
Legend

Ironic you say that because just today, in my face book memories, I had posted a year ago: I don't care how fast you are. If you are a receiver in the nfl, part of that contract should include actually being able to catch the ball.
bingo

Legend
Legend
Cincinnati 💔
@CincyProblems
·
2h
BREAKING: DE Joseph Ossai suffered a high ankle sprain in the #Bengals last preseason game and is now doubtful to play Week 1, via the
@Enquirer

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by The Beast
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Thank you!

About time!

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dustin Hopkins: 3 things to know about the new Browns kicker
Published: Aug. 28, 2023, 8:46 p.m.

The Browns acquired kicker Dustin Hopkins on Monday to replace Cade York.AP
By Irie Harris, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- After his blocked field goal in the Browns’ 33-32 loss to Kansas City on Saturday, it was evident the chapter of Cade York in Cleveland was coming to a close sooner than we thought.

The Cade York era ended Monday after the Browns traded a 2025 seventh-round pick to the Chargers for kicker Dustin Hopkins. York is expected to be waived Tuesday.

The most anticipated moment during the Browns’ season opener on Sept. 10 will be Hopkins’ first kick. But until that moment comes about, what can we expect from Hopkins’ arrival in Cleveland?

Here’s three things to know about the new kicker.

Terrific Efficiency

Hopkins ranks 20th all time in field goal percentage (84.8%), and his 94.4% rate on extra point attempts also looks good on the resume. Through eight seasons so far, Hopkins has only finished one season below 80% in field goal percentage, which was 2020 when he was 27 of 34 (79.4%).

But his best season statistically came in 2018 with Washington, where he completed 89.7% of his field goal attempts (26 of 29) and 96.2% of his extra point attempts (25 of 26). It was during that same season he finished fifth among kickers in field goal grading (81.1), per Pro Football Focus. He also took more field goal attempts of 40-49 yards than any other area on the field, draining 10 of 12 for 83.3%, tied for 13th with Adam Vinatieri.

By the Range

From anywhere between 20-39 yards, Hopkins is money.

In his career, he’s completed 98.1% of his field goals between 20-29 yards (53 of 54) and 93.4% of his attempts 30-39 yards (57 of 61). Between 40-49 yards, he’s still kicking a solid 81.8% (63 of 77), but he’s only converted half of his 30 attempts between 50-59 yards (15 of 30).

Last season with the Chargers, Hopkins drained 9 of 10 field goal attempts and made all 12 of his extra point attempts through five games. He also went 6 for 6 in field goal attempts between 30-39 yards on the year, which tied for 23rd.

His fifth game of the season was his best, and eventually last, of the season. Hopkins drained all four of his field goal attempts coming within 30-39 yards on an injured hamstring, including the 39-yard game winner to beat Denver.

Injury Issues

The first signs of injuries for the 32-year-old vet occurred in 2017 after suffering a partially torn hip muscle. The injury kept him out from mid-October to mid-December, allowing him to play only the last three games of the season. But he played in every regular season game from 2018-21.

It was last season with the Chargers where the injury bug hit him again. Hopkins missed the Chargers’ Week 4 win over the Browns with a right quad strain. And during their Week 5 win over Denver, after draining his first field goal of the game, Hopkins could be seen letting out a scream while grabbing onto his hamstring.

Heroically, he made all his attempts and served the game winner, but missed the rest of the season due to the hamstring injury.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...to-know-about-the-new-browns-kicker.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
hopefully those injury concerns stay away this year

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Is York still on the roster?
I'd say he probably is pending Hopkins passing his physical.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I give them credit for addressing the issue decisively. I was thinking they were going to do the classic ignore and hope for the best strategy we’ve seen before. Maybe a little late but better late than never

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
I give them credit for addressing the issue decisively. I was thinking they were going to do the classic ignore and hope for the best strategy we’ve seen before. Maybe a little late but better late than never

Why is it late? Late would have been if we waited until we lost a game due to poor kicking. We could have waited another week + and it wouldn't have been too late. It's not like a kicker needs to learn a playbook.

On kickoffs, kick it right, left, pooch, or kick it deep. Point tries, just go work with your snapper and holder for a few hours down at the stadium. OK....maybe they need to learn the 2-3 different fake fieldgoal tries we might call once every 18 seasons. I don't remember the last time we tried one of those.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Why is it late? Late would have been if we waited until we lost a game due to poor kicking. We could have waited another week + and it wouldn't have been too late. It's not like a kicker needs to learn a playbook.

On kickoffs, kick it right, left, pooch, or kick it deep. Point tries, just go work with your snapper and holder for a few hours down at the stadium. OK....maybe they need to learn the 2-3 different fake fieldgoal tries we might call once every 18 seasons. I don't remember the last time we tried one of those.
I remember Dawson scoring on a fake once ... and Tom Tupa scoring the first 2 point conversion in NFL history

O
Legend
Legend
O
An injured hammy on a kicker has to be brutal.

I hope this isn't a tangent, but the whole "it was Bojorquez" conspiracy is fascinating to me. I'm curious if there's actually anything to that (in terms of technique... always love to learn more about finer points of the game).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

I remember Dawson scoring on a fake once ... and Tom Tupa scoring the first 2 point conversion in NFL history

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
3 members like this: JimDawg, W84NxtYrAgain, PitDAWG
B
Legend
Legend
B

I was at the Tupa score. In Cincy. When was that, 25 years ago? Maybe 30.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
love that play haha

P
Legend
Legend
P
Labor Day week-end in 1994. He scored three, two point conversions in 1994.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
love it

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Labor Day week-end in 1994. He scored three, two point conversions in 1994.

Ahh, the days where the shoulder pads were 3 miles wide

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

How did he last so long? No kicks made the entire kicking session!

Legend
Legend
he's the Titans problem or solution now

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Injury Update: WR Jakeem Grant Sr. out for season with ruptured patellar tendon
Injury Alert: LB Jordan Kunaszyk suffers torn MCL vs. Chiefs
Injury Alert: CB Denzel Ward in concussion protocol following game vs. Chiefs
Siaki Ika exits early, but returns in 4th quarter vs. Chiefs
Caleb Biggers exits game vs. Chiefs with cramps

Ward might be headed to IR with another concussion. Could be why they claimed CB Kahlef Hailassie from waivers.

Last edited by steve0255; 08/30/23 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255
Ward might be headed to IR with another concussion. Could be why they claimed CB Kahlef Hailassie from waivers.

we dropped Green for Kahlef. If Ward was headed to the IR I would think we would have kept Green vs testing out some other players of interest.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by steve0255

we dropped Green for Kahlef. If Ward was headed to the IR I would think we would have kept Green vs testing out some other players of interest.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...injury-as-a-brown-in-loss-to-chiefs.html

Denzel Ward started the preseason finale against the Chiefs Saturday afternoon along with most of the rest of the Browns starters, but now his status for the opener against the Bengals is in jeopardy.

A two-time Pro Bowler, Ward suffered a head injury in the first quarter and was placed in the concussion protocol.

This is a real concern for the Browns and their defense. If Ward is diagnosed with a concussion, it will be his fourth one in his six-year career with the Browns. The fact that he missed multiple games with his previous concussions means the same thing might happen in this instance, and he could be sidelined for the Bengals game Sept. 10 at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Players who have had concussions are more susceptible to them in the future.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Cash Money.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
dangit

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I hate it for the guy, but he is done.

He will miss 2-3 games with this one, then another....how many before he is a vegetable?

I am not saying this because it is a weakness, but some people just can't take a punch, so to speak. He is a good player, but he just isn't going to be able to keep playing the game without risking his long term health. The kid has the heart, but his head just can't take it. Tua is a brain bruise or two away from the same thing, but he isn't a defensive player and has to expose himself the same way. .

He needs to do everybody a favor and just retire rather than riding out his contract. Money is great, but what good is it when you are 55 and you are drooling on your feeding bib while some nurse is changing your diaper?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I'm surprised Denzel Ward's contract hasn't been restructured yet to free up more cap space.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard