Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Don't forget, we have a offensive line coach who has been a more than decent HC- people, as they age, know what they want to do and don't have to put up with the BS head coaches put up with....money wise, I doubt either of the guys mentioned- Sw or BC need money- so.....I think SKI is safe from the current coaches- he does need to produce this year- all the pieces are currently available.....BUT, luck, magic, injuries, FGs- who can predict the future. Hope Browns stay healthy and have fab year.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
L
Legend
Legend
L
Completely agree with you and peen. I’m just speculating here but a guy like Schwartz has plenty enough money, he isn’t stupid so he didn’t squander his savings at the track. He might not want to tolerate the BS, as you said, that being a HC presents. Just wants to focus on building a great defence, making players better.

It’s like being a teacher in the school system: I’ve known teachers who don’t want to be the school principal, they get their satisfaction teaching the kids.

I think being a good to great coordinator, one who has the respect of his players and peers, would be the place I’d want to be if were a coach at that level, or any level.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Another thing folks don't consider is the mental and physical drain of managing the whole team---HC, he's got ALL the coaches, assistants, and 53 plus players to know, evaluate, plan the integration....as DC, you cut that in less than half-----LOT EASIER. Plus, we all have our best talents in certain areas- Callahan cuts his numbers down again by a lot. Good thing for SKI is he can go talk to these guys and get a NO BS answer--- I sure hope we smoke the Bangles right off the bat and build on it....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
D did their job- limited points and gave ball back to O over and over again.....outstanding job- one game- Schwartz, keep them humble and hungry- GO Browns!!!

Legend
Legend
That's the most inspired defense we've had in my lifetime. And that's not an exaggeration

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Browns defense wore down the Bengals defense. How? They literally keep them on the field most of the game.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doug Farrar has a pretty good article on our defensive performance here:

link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
great write up ... I loved the way they moved Garrett like the queen on a chess board

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kind of funny that Garrett pretty much told him he was going to cross him up, and he still crossed him up.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Classic. rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
watch every high school kid in America try to do that Friday night

All Pro
All Pro
Browns defense was elite

"This is a good Brown's team"

Last edited by Floquinho; 09/12/23 12:38 AM.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
OP Online
Legend
The weather for Monday Night looks perfect.

This game will be interesting because weather should not be a factor. We get to validate.

IMO what we saw from the defense was no weather fluke. Sure it was a factor in gripping the ball.

However, it was not a factor in qb pressure or in coverage. What we did up front in moving guys around and rushing from all kinds of angles will be part of what we will do. The coverage by the secondary was not influenced by weather. The coverage was like the receivers had an extra layer of skin. Emerson, Ward, and Newsome are now doing what they are best at man coverage.

Elliott was not a factor but he doesn't really need to be. If he can occupy his man and hold his ground. We have others to clean up. Plus we have a rotation at DT to go to.

Ogbo had a damn good game. That is a big deal because we can play Ogbo and Z at DE and move Myles to middle linebacker up over center to attack the gap he wants to use. It frees him to use any move he wants to attack. There is no player in the NFL like Myles Garrett. Schwartz played Myles close to 50/50 at LDE and RDE. Then he moved him into the middle for some confusion. Nasty. The center had no chance.

Conclusion, IMO is the defense is the real McCoy or the real Schwartz.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hopeful, the sample size is/was ONE- now all teams will adjust- time will tell IF our Defense is better than GOOD. We had our first significant injury, Conklin, hopefully we don't have anymore- Rogers lasted FOUR plays. Lady Luck please be with us. GO Browns!!!!

Legend
Legend
Monday will be interesting for our defense. They have good skill guys, just like the Bengals. And the Steelers will have seen some film of us (and us of them).

I predict a low scoring affair for both teams

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Best advice for the Browns defensive coaches, players and the Browns management...

...DON'T READ YOUR PRESS CLIPPINGS...

Focus on the Steelers, knowing they are going to take it to the Browns if we let them do it.

Do your homework and put in the work to insure that your defense is prepared.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
bingo ... stay that hungry and aggressive and loose. Don't lose the edge

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

This game will be interesting because weather should not be a factor. We get to validate.

IMO what we saw from the defense was no weather fluke. Sure it was a factor in gripping the ball.

However, it was not a factor in qb pressure or in coverage. What we did up front in moving guys around and rushing from all kinds of angles will be part of what we will do. The coverage by the secondary was not influenced by weather. The coverage was like the receivers had an extra layer of skin. Emerson, Ward, and Newsome are now doing what they are best at man coverage.

Elliott was not a factor but he doesn't really need to be. If he can occupy his man and hold his ground. We have others to clean up. Plus we have a rotation at DT to go to.

Ogbo had a damn good game. That is a big deal because we can play Ogbo and Z at DE and move Myles to middle linebacker up over center to attack the gap he wants to use. It frees him to use any move he wants to attack. There is no player in the NFL like Myles Garrett. Schwartz played Myles close to 50/50 at LDE and RDE. Then he moved him into the middle for some confusion. Nasty. The center had no chance.

I'm in wait and see mode. I'm cautiously optimistic, but being aggressive is "easy" when its difficult for opponents to change direction due to field conditions. I'm a bit worried about missed tackles cropping up on a cleaner field and Cinci missed some potential big plays due to slips and stumbles. There was an Evans (?) run that looked like he had room to the left if he hadn't gone down on his own that stood out.

I also think Pitt left some plays on the field and Pickett was bad. As good as the 49ers D's stats look, I think a lot of it was the Steelers (offense in particular) playing awful. I expect them to execute much better next week. There's also officiating not being as loose going forward to consider.

But we could play better, too. Even if Pitt plays better, that team has some limitations we should be able to take advantage of.

Hopefully the players don't think they have arrived and keep their edge and continue improving. I think Schwartz and Stefanski will have a good plan for that.

Fiercely Independent.
All Pro
All Pro
Members with much much better knowledges then me can correct me if I'm off the rails but this was my take away's when comparing Schwartz defensive strategy to last season. Three things that stood out and I clearly noticed.

a) Much more unpredictable formations and tactical intentions. There where moments when the Bengal's Oline and QB looked idealess. In the end looked clueless and their facial expressions said it all.

b) More focused commitement before, under and after the snap. I saw a collective togetherness with positive aggressivity and joy that was like a storm wind in the face of the opponents.

c) Communication and execution. Right man at the right place. Good communication and understanding between players and coaches. Acting as a collective with a positive body language no matter the outcome. Walk and talk as physical an dtactical superiors sends the right message to teammates, the crowd and to each others.

Well done!

Maybe its a little bite bit premature to be so overly positive but as Browns fan I take my chances when I get them. Life is short and I'm old so right now I just enjoy a moment of the flow of this week good mood.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The fact that there was less confusion on our own side of the ball vs the opponent on what the D was supposed to do was a huge step up.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober
The fact that there was less confusion on our own side of the ball vs the opponent on what the D was supposed to do was a huge step up.
Jake Burns said this too ... way less confusion last game than any game last season

B
Legend
Legend
B
Man coverage has a great deal to do with that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Everything you stated comes into play.

It begins with a defensive philosophy. The DC sets the tone. This is the defense and this is how we will develop our playing personality.

Look at the skill sets of your existing players. Understand what they do best. Bring in players who will fit into what you are trying to form.

Coach them hard and hold players accountable to reinforce what you want them doing. Make sure the players buy in and know their jobs.

Communication is part of every play. Have players on the field acting as coaches on the field. Veteran guys who you trust.

Jim Schwartz has the reputation of doing precisely what is listed above and players know that.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Everything you stated comes into play.

It begins with a defensive philosophy. The DC sets the tone. This is the defense and this is how we will develop our playing personality.

Look at the skill sets of your existing players. Understand what they do best. Bring in players who will fit into what you are trying to form.

Coach them hard and hold players accountable to reinforce what you want them doing. Make sure the players buy in and know their jobs.

Communication is part of every play. Have players on the field acting as coaches on the field. Veteran guys who you trust.

Jim Schwartz has the reputation of doing precisely what is listed above and players know that.

And after last year and what the players saw this last game, they should be willing to run through a wall for Schwartz.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Man coverage has a great deal to do with that.

This. Schwatrz has gotten this defense to play as a unit. He is certainly using them to accentuate their skill sets. It has and I believe will continue to do wonders for the Browns defense. But at the same time it's most certainly true that man coverage takes far less communication than zone.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the true test of the D will come when they inevitably face some adversity and have to respond to it. We can't let things snowball like they have in the past.

Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: 10YrOvernightSuccess, oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
We've always matched up well vs the Bengals. I'm really glad we won and everything, but despite their injuries I'm worried about a pissed off Steelers team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1701289516848521223

OH my!! Probably even better than any of us thought.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by oobernoober
We've always matched up well vs the Bengals. I'm really glad we won and everything, but despite their injuries I'm worried about a pissed off Steelers team.

For the record I would have said this prior to last week but we have more talent almost everywhere. I’m in the minority in that I personally just don’t believe in Pickett. I also think this team, for whatever reason, rises to the bait of national games. If we don’t win this game and pretty decisively I’ll have serious questions. They’ll probably start with the QB.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm happy we don't have to cope with their DT- Watt is plenty. We lost RT, but "may" have a decent replacement- I'm also looking forward to seeing Watson throw a dry ball- I think we'll win.....GO Browns!!!!

Legend
Legend
And after last year and what the players saw this last game, they should be willing to run through a wall for Schwartz.

THAT is the difference in this year and last. Last year the Defensive players were asked to see the wall, study the wall, think gee is it better to run through the wall, run around the wall, or go over the wall. All that thinking leads to a slow... s..l..o.w defense. Now we run though the wall and destroy anything with the ball.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2 members like this: FATE, ScottPlayersFacemask
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

I'm in wait and see mode. I'm cautiously optimistic, but being aggressive is "easy" when its difficult for opponents to change direction due to field conditions. I'm a bit worried about missed tackles cropping up on a cleaner field and Cinci missed some potential big plays due to slips and stumbles. There was an Evans (?) run that looked like he had room to the left if he hadn't gone down on his own that stood out.

I also think Pitt left some plays on the field and Pickett was bad. As good as the 49ers D's stats look, I think a lot of it was the Steelers (offense in particular) playing awful. I expect them to execute much better next week. There's also officiating not being as loose going forward to consider.

But we could play better, too. Even if Pitt plays better, that team has some limitations we should be able to take advantage of.

Hopefully the players don't think they have arrived and keep their edge and continue improving. I think Schwartz and Stefanski will have a good plan for that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This game will really define who we are this year I think. We have recent history of being able to handle the bengals .... not so much the steelers. Tomlin will make sure they're ready for us after that embarrassing performance. I see a close game with us winning and maybe finally getting a little respect around the league if we can get two division wins this early.

Legend
Legend
we've basically shown that we want to play offense with the defense, which I enjoy

Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
Legend
well take that all year

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1701289516848521223

OH my!! Probably even better than any of us thought.

Damn, that was not a lot of time.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
For the record I would have said this prior to last week but we have more talent almost everywhere. I’m in the minority in that I personally just don’t believe in Pickett. I also think this team, for whatever reason, rises to the bait of national games. If we don’t win this game and pretty decisively I’ll have serious questions. They’ll probably start with the QB.

Whether one questions the QB position depends on the performance of the QB and not who "won the game decisively". I've seen QB's play well and still lose games or win by very small margins. While I don't think it's wrong to question watson on a game by game basis at this point, I think it's much too early to question him as a QB overall.

The difference as I see it is that with the exception of the last game against the Bengals in 2022 we had a good winning streak against them. With both the steelers and the ravens the games tend to be much closer overall even when the talent doesn't seem that close. While I do think the browns can win by a large margin I wouldn't at all be surprised if the margin is closer than I think it could be. There is something to be said about most division rivalries.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Spread less than 3 points- Browns soared, Steelers tanked at home- LESS than 3....agree lots of teams don't like each other- Browns/Ravens, Steelers, Bengals- Chiefs/Raiders, Cowboys/Redskins, etc....I'm hoping Watson hits some long ones to open up Chubb even more, and Miles against Steeler center- dang, they got PROBLEMS. Go Browns!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would have thought that the spread would have been larger than that but then I think the odds makers may have taken into consideration that the Browns haven't beaten the Steelers at their home stadium for 19 games in a row. The last time the Browns beat the Steelers at their home during the regular season was in 2003 and Tim couch was the Browns QB. I however don't believe that in any way reflects the difference between the Browns superior talent as it is now.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jim Schwartz and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard