Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Legend
Legend
P
You actually quoted my post directly and your reply directly addressed my words. And now you claim it wasn't directed at me?

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Just a thought…

Watson had one really good year and one great year. His other two years were reminiscent of Baker’s two good years here.

Could it be that Watson just was Baker having to years above his potential?

Bird #2029015 09/19/23 05:11 PM
Legend
Legend
It’s possible. There’s so many different ways to look at it.

Baker at this point of his career is playing with house money. Nobody expects anything out of Tampa this year so anything above bad is gonna be celebrated.

This is Watson first full season being back, just lost THE best RB in the nfl, and everybody from the opponent to the fans in the stands are coming for his neck verbally. You could see it in the 2nd half, looked like a whole lot of pinned up frustration was unleashed on the field.

Let’s be clear; all that negative energy is his fault and he is responsible for rising through that and doing his job. But it’s still negative energy that is effecting him.

And while it’s fair or not, the only QB that is playing what he’s worth in our division is Lamar Jackson. He’s got two straight home games before a bye to gain some momentum.

The talent is flashing like crazy. Now it’s just him working back to sustaining great play throughout the game.

It’s only week 2, and we’re 1-1. We gotta remember that sometimes nfl defenses just have their night.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
We gotta remember that sometimes nfl defenses just have their night.

As do nfl offenses

I enjoy most when all 3 sides of the ball are rocking it !!

Which doesn't happen often in Cleveland

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One other thing I would like to say

The coaches put a game plan together during the week

Is throwing to the 3rd TE for the opening play good game planning ?

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Our Watson looks nothing like the Texan's Watson in the pocket

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
has Watson had one game where we all walked away and thought "Man, there's the guy we need!"

Instead, it's been excuses, flashes in the pan, and poor play.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
typical Browns QB play

Wouldn't you say ?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Let me know when Baker gets a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract and three first round draft choices paid to acquire him. And pretend his supporting cast was as good as this. You're trying to compare apples to oranges and you know it.

Baker will never be anything but average at best. watson was supposed to be MUCH more than that. Right now I would have been happy with average from watson. And that would still be paying one helluva price tag for average.

A car that costs 30k isn't supposed to be the same as a car that costs 100k. At least not in the real world.

I know it's early in the season but I may be jumping onto your bandwagon... last night was pathetic... especially considering the price tag... if Watson would have been average, decent, safe last night we win...

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Watson is definitely part of our struggles right now, but I can’t help but look at Ski for the consistent losing. BB would love to have this team, and would probably go straight to the SB this season. Ski looked like a deer in the headlights after Chubb went down last night.

1 member likes this: mgh888
L
Legend
Legend
L
There’s two trains of thought, one is this is the most talented team since the return and stefanski is holding them back, or two stefanski still don’t have the players on offense he needs. To me, it’s def the first one. What I don’t understand is how he still has playcalling duties . At minimum try something different there

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Browns -3 vs Titans this Sunday.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel like I'm stuck in a bad horror movie. Like one of those B rated foreign ones you scrounge up on Netflix at midnight.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I feel like I'm stuck in a bad horror movie. Like one of those B rated foreign ones you scrounge up on Netflix at midnight.

or ESPN !

Legend
Legend
I don't even know what to expect from us next Sunday (and I'm afraid to find out lol)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
come on !

One win one loss

Watch and supoort

Take it week by week

you are so negative for someone who has

66,287 posts

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Watson is definitely part of our struggles right now, but I can’t help but look at Ski for the consistent losing. BB would love to have this team, and would probably go straight to the SB this season. Ski looked like a deer in the headlights after Chubb went down last night.

Stefanski has had an embarrassment of riches the last 4 seasons, and he just doesn't win.

He. Doesn't. Win. He doesn't produce results.

Have we ever looked at a game and walked away saying 'man, our coach out coached their coach'? He was in his basement for the Browns biggest win of his tenure. I would say last week was probably the second biggest win of his tenure and all the credit for that one goes to Schwartz. He seems to have Cincy's number, but he really has no signature wins if he isn't playing Cincy. What are his signature wins? Has he gotten better every year? Or worse?

1 member likes this: mgh888
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man

This is an interesting phenomenon.

The fact that the public is hammering the Titans is a true reflection of the reputation of the Browns and their culture and their coach and their QB. The Browns were clearly the more talented team than Pitt last night by a mile. Pitt has one good player, Watt, and a bunch of jags. It will be even more one-sided on paper against the Titans, but the general public is saying I don't trust the Browns organization.

If we lose against the Titans, that will be as damning of Stefanski as it can get.

No one has ever done less with more in the history of the NFL. Coaches would kill for his rosters. Two years in a row he should have started the season 2-0 and his teams snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in week 2. I don't think I've ever gotten over last year's week 2 defeat. Never seen anything like it.

Just. Win. Games.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What we are seeing is that Stefanski is not a head coach. If you listen to his presser, he does not know how to motivate this team. Hell, he cannot even motivate the offense!! You can not look at our defense and not see how motivated they are! Schwartz has the D playing hard and flying around. Can you look at our offense and see any of fire in the offense. Stefanski is buried in his play sheet and does not see how the team might need some pick up, might need to attack( on offense).

Kevin can call plays, but can he call a good, flowing game?

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz

The fact that the public is hammering the Titans is a true reflection of the reputation of the Browns and their culture and their coach and their QB. The Browns were clearly the more talented team than Pitt last night by a mile. Pitt has one good player, Watt, and a bunch of jags. It will be even more one-sided on paper against the Titans, but the general public is saying I don't trust the Browns organization.

If we lose against the Titans, that will be as damning of Stefanski as it can get.

No one has ever done less with more in the history of the NFL. Coaches would kill for his rosters. Two years in a row he should have started the season 2-0 and his teams snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in week 2. I don't think I've ever gotten over last year's week 2 defeat. Never seen anything like it.

Just. Win. Games.

Last week it was the other way around.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
It is early
We have a great D.

If the offense can not find consistency and control games we should win by multiple scores, Stefanski will probably be let go by game 8. Through 2 games he looks as if he continues to slide in the wrong direction.

I believe most of us would love to see improvement from him as a leader HC and as a play caller OC. But after 3+ years I do not think he makes the proper adjustments to lead us to the Championship.

I will say his seat definitely heated up Monday night. This Sunday is a huge game for KS. At this point with this roster squeaking out wins does not cut it. Stop finding/ creating ways to lose and start dominating.

I don’t expect us to go 16-1. But I do expect us to win games like Monday that we gave away. Those losses can not happen if KS wants to stick around.

As a beaten Browns fan, it is hard to give Stefanski the benefit of the doubt after watching the past 36 games.

Go Browns!!!

Legend
Legend
I have supported Stefanski more than most, but even I'm at the end of my rope. As Rish said, we simply don't win (and we have talent, have spent money, hired new dudes, etc). There is literally zero excuse for the performance we saw on Monday. This team should be a playoff team/contender.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by leadtheway
There’s two trains of thought, one is this is the most talented team since the return and stefanski is holding them back, or two stefanski still don’t have the players on offense he needs. To me, it’s def the first one. What I don’t understand is how he still has playcalling duties . At minimum try something different there

In the end, I don't think play calling is a big issue. For the most part, I don't think plays fail because of the play called. That said I think he should give it up because it consumes too much of his thought focus.Some coaches have made it work, but they are for the most part experienced coaches. I feel the coach needs to have a overall grasp of what is happening in the game.

That doesn't mean he can't say lets run this or it's time for a deep shot, or it's time to send a few more to create some pressure on the QB. I just think the coach needs to be somewhat neutral and spend some time with the units as necessary. The best time to go in with the DC and talk to the D is when you have the ball.

The head coach is the CEO on game day. The CEO has to have an overall grasp of the company. They can't be tied down running the sales or marketing division on a daily basis. Their involvement may be needed in engineering, finance, shareholder issues, etc.

It isn't an easy job and Stefanski isn't watching over the house as closely as he could or should.

I am not saying he should be fired. I am saying he doesn't need to be a glorified offensive coordinator just like a CEO isn't the VP running some division of a company. You let the XVP run that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Just. Win. Games.

rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Rishuz
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by DogNDC
What we are seeing is that Stefanski is not a head coach. If you listen to his presser, he does not know how to motivate this team. Hell, he cannot even motivate the offense!! You can not look at our defense and not see how motivated they are! Schwartz has the D playing hard and flying around. Can you look at our offense and see any of fire in the offense. Stefanski is buried in his play sheet and does not see how the team might need some pick up, might need to attack( on offense).

Kevin can call plays, but can he call a good, flowing game?

KS gets all this heat for his playcalling, and I don't get it. Granted, I'm not the most knowledgeable, but watching last game I saw only a couple weird playcalls and a whole bunch of bad execution. But KS will continue to take heat for this.

What he's not taking as much heat for (at least not as much as he should, IMO) is the lack of discipline and composure on his side of the ball. For a while it looked like nobody could hold onto a ball. The QB is not only playing poorly, but also being an idiot. The offense got scored on more than the D. All together, those are strong indicators of a leadership issue, but we instead like to pick him apart for a 4th down call.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Pretty much any idiot and picked the correct lottery numbers the day after the drawing.

It's the same with fans. Anybody can complain about a play call after they know it didn't work.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I can't remember a time when a play caller be it the head coach or the OC who was not second guessed.

From Bruce Arians to Freddy Kitchens it makes no difference. People are going to disagree with plays that are called.

My issue at his time is not the plays called. It is the plays.

I have been paying attention to the offense of Mike McDaniel of the Dolphins. Tua is a limited passer. He struggles with certain type throws like deep outs. He does not have a strong arm. However, he is accurate. He is really good underneath. He is accurate on cross routes, and seam throws. Throws that require anticipation and timing.

McDaniel's offense is all about timing. Routes times to qb steps. Throw the ball before open. Anticipate open.

This off season reports were that the offense was going to be DW offense. Throws he likes. DW was going to have a say. He and KS were developing plays based upon his skills. The throws I see now are open throws where the receiver is in a zone soft spot. I don't see timing throws in rhythm.

DW is breaking from the pocket and looking to find guys that are open. I do not see how that is an offense.

Now Nick Chubb is gone. Ford is ok. He is not Nick Chubb. The offense will have to depend more on passing.

The OL gets in stress mode trying to block while DW is holding the ball. That is going to be an issue. The scheme will need to be notched up in speed. Three and five step drops timed to route trees. Get the ball out in rhythm and on time.

If we do not start seeing this the offense will continue to struggle.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My opinion is the play calling wasn’t the issue. If anything it was minimal issue. All coaches tend to make a few questionable calls during the game. I would love to see the full field view to get a better understanding of the spacing the receivers had during the plays.

I have one gripe over the play calling. Some games Ski tends to forget what has worked for him in the past that can be beneficial to DW. The screen passes to the RBs, TE,and WRs. The Steelers were coming in fast and DW was having trouble believing what he was seeing out there (him patting the ball so much). Slow down that rush and build some confidence in your QB (and receivers) by giving him some high percentage and quick react throws. DW looks like he’s overthinking and not confident in his decisions.

What I thought were offensive issues for the game:

I think it was Memphis that brought it up and I saw it too. DW definitely doesn’t have a feel for the game right now. DW gets pressure and he puts his head down and takes off. I am not seeing much of him looking down field while scrambling.That is something he wouldn’t do in the past. That is usually what a rookie does when they’re overwhelmed with the speed of the game.

This is why I had minimal issues with the play call: - Penalties, penalties, penalties. I felt our drives consisted of either a turnover by a player not securing the ball. Or the big thing we would have a decent drive going then there would be a holding, then a false start. We would be on their side of the field 1st and 10 to pushing ourselves back to our side of the field with 3rd and forever then having to punt. It’s hard to get any momentum when you are shooting yourself in the foot over and over.

The starting of our field position wasn’t great, but that’s part of the game. However, DPJ HAS to catch that punt. Letting that punt bounce all the way inside the 5 was unacceptable. It changed the upcoming drive dramatically. My only thing I can come up with is either the wind was blowing it all around or he lost it in the lights and didn’t want to take a chance on dropping it. Either way he still needs to catch that.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Just. Win. Games.

Fade the public!

Legend
Legend
I think we get too cute at times ... short yardage, goal line stuff we are going to east/west. I also think we kill our own momentum sometimes with wacky play calling.

But I'm not an expert

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This isn’t directed at you 4Life.

That 4th down option run wasn’t an issue. DW had the first down. The issue is the player securing the damn ball. He secures the ball, that play isn’t even talked about after the game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
B
Legend
Legend
B
If we are going to question play calls, Stefanski is responsible for Chubbs injury. If he didn't call the darn play, Chubb wouldn't have been injured.

Chubbs injury is on Stefanski..see how stupid that sounds....just saying.

Heck, why was Chubb even on the field? Anybody could foresee he was going to be injured! If we had thrown the ball, this wouldn't have happened.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
2nd and 10. Bengals 13. No TOs. 17 seconds before the half.

Stefanski calls a Watson run, Watson scores.

Across the gameday forum, Twitter and every barstool... "Great play call!!"

If Watson doesn't score (even if he gains a 1st down)... we're racing to the line to down the ball and sending in the kicker, and then we would have heard...

"That's the dumbest play call I've ever seen."
"You can't run the ball there with no TOs."
"Now we have to settle for 3 because Stefanski doesn't know how to read a clock."

And then one of my favorites, with the ironic hindsight built in...
"If you're just going to settle for 3 anyway, at least don't flush a play down the toilet... Stupid!!"

Every play ever called is the best and worst of all time -- depending on the result.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
Legend
Legend
M

Just. Win. Games.

Fade the public!

The contrarian always wins in the end!

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P

Just. Win. Games.

Fade the public!

The public doesn't have a vested interest in this team. They have no reason to be anything other than objective. Especially when they're putting their money on the line. They witnessed how watson played and they know our O runs through Chubb. They now know that as it stands they certainly know there is no Chubb and they aren't going to put their money on watson. I'd love to know who could blame them?

The only hope is the Browns D holds them to like 12 point as they did against Pittsburgh and the O doesn't gift them 14 points.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2029131 09/20/23 11:01 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Every play ever called is the best and worst of all time -- depending on the result.

Quoted for truth. It all boils down to execution.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

#4 Watt
#5 Delpit
#6 Garrett
#9 Highsmith

4 of top 10 in one game.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Delpit was absolutely on fire out there. What he player he's rounding out to be.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
I hate being right.

"Worst trade in Browns history" Also in our first weeks with DW we were told how amazing he was in reading the D and adapting to our play book. Ergo Stefanski RUINS QBs or we were flat out lied to. Probably both. I said Stefanski sucks for orchestrating the "Worst Trade" Berry went out and did what he was told to...get DW at all cost.

Honestly my issues with DW was with character issues I didn't expect him to be that fundementallly bad. I did say what bothered me was the fact in that great 2020 season he was 4-12 something was wrong with that.

Baker as I said needed to heal it was Stefanski trying to force Baker and probably Watson to play the way he wants and not having the playbook geared for their positives.

First round picks sorely missed. That first one would have been Jordan Davis DT don't know about the others. Yeah Berry did a hell of a job with FAs but without that DW contract we would have have even more money for Berry to do his thing plus the draft picks.

Stefanski I knew sucked the surprise in my claim is how bad DW is never in my wildest dreams. Dont wish to say I told you so...but I TOLD YOU SO.

Hey there is time to turn this around. Chubb best in the business but honestly RBs can be gotten anywhere - do our work and steal from somebodies practice squad. We can get around the loss of Chubb but not the ineptitue of Watson and Stefanski!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by eotab
We can get around the loss of Chubb but not the ineptitude of Watson and Stefanski!
Sorry EO but Stefanski isn't going magically turn into someone who knows what to do on game day. His initial plan may be successful but once the opponent adjusts, he has ZERO answers. He has ZERO feel for what is going on in front of him. Compounded by the fact that he is not a leader, the Browns aren't going anywhere with him in charge. Schwartz is the man. The sooner, the better. JMO

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 22 Steelers 26 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard