Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
Talking heads after the game said Watson wasn't seeing wide open WRs all night, was that your experience watching the 22?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
mac #2029302 09/21/23 10:32 AM
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by mac
Cleats...Who does Watson answer to...who is his QB COACH..?

Might still be Quincy Avery...not real sure.

Cleats #2029305 09/21/23 10:41 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Cleats
Originally Posted by Floquinho
I say this again because with a weak HC who doesn't fully know how to deal with big/cocky/weak/fragile egos there's a high possibility that complex personalites like Watson can become self-destructive if they can't fully manage internal and external expectations.

I can easily see a frozen and in the end a broken relationship between our new franchise QB and those coaches who's trying to hold him accountable and those who internally and externally criticize him too much. I don't think what happened in Houston was a isolated incident and irrational and self destructive behaviors often has a tendency to pop up again when the outside pressure mounts and your own picture of yourself doesn't match up with reality. Typical for talanted artists/musicians/athletes with low self esteem and fragile egoes who're not used to get rejected or to recieve negative critizismn.

Don't come afterwards and say that his history didn't warn us...

I've often thought the same thing. A individual's personality does not change much. Watson needs to stop thinking of himself and put the team first. We need better ball security, avoid the sideline fighting, the stupid facemask calls, get the ball out quick and stop looking for big chunk plays, your deep pass is not accurate. I want to see less selfish game Sunday. Go BROWNS!

My humble advice to our HC would be to start to realize who's he dealing with and hopefully starts readjust his next game plan to todays version of DSW who's a bad and slow copy of the QB we saw in Houston.

FATE #2029307 09/21/23 10:45 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FATE
Talking heads after the game said Watson wasn't seeing wide open WRs all night

My fear is Watson is going to have a great game

But not for the Browns

Vrabel puts D Hop on defense

Watson sees his favorite target

D hop with six picks

Three of them for TDs

2 members like this: mgh888, FATE
mac #2029311 09/21/23 10:56 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
stueby...4 th down, 12 inches to go for a first down on the Pitt 43 yd line...what is the best play call to move the chains?

Yet he actually HAD the 1st down until HE fumbled it. But in your desperation you blame the HC because watson fumbled. The play worked. Dear Lord man.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
That's not good.....

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And so it begins......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2029329 09/21/23 12:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Talking heads after the game said Watson wasn't seeing wide open WRs all night, was that your experience watching the 22?

Not really. Well, I guess kind of, but blaming him seems rather harsh. We had some guys open at times that he didn't hit, but he was generally running for his life in the opposite direction or had someone right in his lap where he couldn't step up, follow through, or probably see around very well.

I think we gameplanned with the idea of easing in Jones at RT and giving him lots of help. Unfortunately, this kind of played to the Steelers strengths and let them keep more LBs/big guys on the field, and they really packed in the middle of the field and had lots of pre-snap movement to disguise what they were doing. The worst part is Jones didn't really seem to need it for the most part. Yes he got "beat around the edge" for a sack, but if there had been a pocket for Watson to step up into, he could quite possibly have been pushed past. On the other hand, Bryant was getting bullrushed back into Watson's lap whenever he was supposed to help. We even had DPJ lined up in tight over Watt to block him at times which went about as well as you'd expect. We used Dunn as a 6th OL a fair bit which again, let them keep more big bodies on the field and increased the probability that one of them would beat their blocker. We also had fewer guys going out on routes which made defensive breakdowns in the secondary less likely, and we didn't really even have a chance to test their (lack of) secondary depth.

We also were backed up a lot inside of our own ten. That may very well have contributed some to the conservativeness. Turnovers also kept short circuiting drives, so it was difficult to get any rhythm going and open things up. There were a few drops (and some PBUs/contested catches that likely could/should have been made) that also didn't help.

Watson did miss some passes. All QBs do. When he had time and guys were open, he generally seemed to get it to them. Unfortunately, both of those things happening at the same time didn't happen a ton.

Unfortunately, the idea that teams play like they practice applies and we kind of looked like we weren't used to (perhaps, the threat of) getting hit and holding onto the ball and/or getting hit from unexpected angles.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
PitDAWG #2029332 09/21/23 12:33 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And so it begins......

LOL, surely no one in their right mind believed Watson would take any responsibility for his play, did you? He's still living in his past and that he's an Elite QB. Unfortunately for him, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Hopefully, the team and Watson get on track very soon. If not, you can expect Watson, his personal QB Coach, and probably his mommy to start taking some serious press shots at Stefanski. It has started already this week with his personal QB Coach - I would expect the wheels will fall off the relationship if another loss occurs this week. "Book em Danno"

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I think it's actually pretty pointless to comp the two QB's at the moment - two wildly different teams and wildly different opponents.

With that said - freeze the video at 40 seconds. Remember all those videos people put together showing the amazing separation our WR's got with Stefanski's scheme and how it was the former QB that couldn't make the plays? Well at 40 seconds we have good separation of the two receivers in the screen - at least a yard. Maybe a yard and a half. Now in a former life and former QB - the QB would have been blamed for not hitting either guy, this year I've seen multiple comments about Bryant not running the right route so it wasn't Watson's fault ... but reality is we don't know who is at fault here.

Only other observation (and maybe a more important question?) and again a throw back to comments I remember at one time about Stefanski and his offense --- criticism (**Maybe it was MNF and the Mannings? - Maybe a talking head on TVC or radio) talking about how close together all the Browns receivers are when they run their routes. A criticism about congestion, being able to clear out routes or RAC, the fact that in a tip ball situation if you have multiple defenders in close proximity to a battted/tipped ball, bad things happen. Well I've noticed it a few tims since but again in the clip at 40 seconds you can see two recievers not 3 yards apart at the same depth on the field and they both seem to have made a cut and are looking back for the ball - it's not like one is on a streak and the other a hook, or one a slant and the other an out. I don't look out for it on other teams particularly but I don't **think that I see this??

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: datguy
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't see that his personal QB coach took any personal shot at Stefanski other than some reach of gigantic proportions some have taken to invent one.

But no, given how he acted in Houston as it pertains to him thinking he should have a say in naming the HC and GM after a 4-12 season, I don't expect him to take responsibility other than in post game press conferences where that's what he's supposed to do. Outside of that I expect to see exactly what I saw above in that Tweet. Nothing could have pleased me more than to have been wrong about watson when he came here. But thus far I'm seeing exactly what I had expected. Hopefully that will change moving forward.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
That's not good.....

2 games into the season and the blame game is in full force. I wonder whose Dad is going to come out next?

Browns is the Browns

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
j/c...

Here's Watson "not taking responsibility", for anyone that wants to avoid the peanut gallery and read for themselves:

"Still coming along," Watson said after the game when asked how he feels he's playing right now. "I feel like, tonight, it was s----- as far as that. There's some plays that we capitalized and we did good, but as far as my part, it's not good enough. I put that on me. The first play, yeah, we can get into the tactics of receiver running out and putting the ball out, and this, that and the third, but I got to give him a better ball. The forced fumble for a touchdown for them. We can say, 'This guy can do this,' but I've got to protect the ball.

We're not going to put it on anyone else. You put it on me. I can take the full blame, I can take the criticism and I'm going to do that."

1 member likes this: vadawgfan07
mgh888 #2029343 09/21/23 01:10 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Watched that play again.

Anyone that thinks the pick-6 is anyone's fault other than Bryant is nuts. Not only did he not catch a very catchable ball, but he tipped it up in the air. He did the exact same thing in the second half at around the same part of the field (likely was just incomplete). This is not a defense of Watson's game, merely an observation while watching 1 play.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: vadawgfan07
FATE #2029344 09/21/23 01:11 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep. Talking out both sides of his mouth. As I said, that's what I expect him to say in post game press conferences. Sadly you'll hear the opposite of that from him as well as we can see by the twitter post above.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
so he's currently going scorched earth by blocking tons of CLE social media people ... this seems like deja vu

To be fair, blocking CLE social media people is probably the smart move for any athlete, in general.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
cleveland sports media is real close to the worst in the country, and by media, I'm talking about writers like MKC, the radio guys are excluded because Jim is a national treasure. He's to the Browns like Tait/mcleod was to the cavs and Hammy to the tribe.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
I take it you haven't followed sports media in other NFL, NBA and MLB markets. The Cleveland sports media doesn't hold a candle to being "close to the worst in the country".

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029350 09/21/23 01:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Yep. Talking out both sides of his mouth. As I said, that's what I expect him to say in post game press conferences. Sadly you'll hear the opposite of that from him as well as we can see by the twitter post above.

Why don't you post the whole interview so we have more context than a one-liner on Twitter.

FATE #2029352 09/21/23 02:04 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Because it in no way changes the context of what he said.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029356 09/21/23 02:39 PM
Legend
Legend
He lost his composure (his own fault) and is just in a defensive position. Could be guilt, anything. There’s never one reason why anybody does/feels some type of way.

But he’s gotta find a way to get his confidence back. I know for sure I haven’t seen anything that has me questioning his effort, so gaining confidence back is tough, but doable. Two home games coming up, friendly home field (for now), and the Kareem resigning takes a tad bit of attention off him, especially if Kareem can take over the crowd early on Sunday.

But that’s the hard part that no amount of money can buy: rebuilding yourself in the public eye. Again, his own fault, but if we want the browns to win, we need him to get it together.

The talent is still there. He still has it, just need that mentality back.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: Day of the Dawg
PitDAWG #2029358 09/21/23 02:42 PM
Legend
Legend
"not being on the same page"

Please explain how it is possible, by any force in the universe, for an entire interview to not provide context to five words being snipped out of a sentence.

This should be good.

3 members like this: guard dawg, ScottPlayersFacemask, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
DW played poorly. It is that simple. He didn't protect the ball. He didn't come through with the game on the line.
He didn't act like a leader should. The face mask plays were inexcusable.

The Steelers defense deserves some credit. They were coached to knock the ball out and they did. They applied pressure all game. They never gave up on plays. The Steelers are a good defensive team.

All of the above does not mean "the end is near." There are fifteen games to play.

All the questions about DW will be answered as those games are played.

Everything you just said appears to be truth. What you didn't say is that overall, our D held their O to less than our O put on the board. This was ALL on the O and mostly on Watson. JMO

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
FATE #2029361 09/21/23 03:08 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Deshaun Watson said the biggest issue through two games has “not being on the same page” with everyone — line, receivers, coaches.

Try reading this slowly. That may help. After first accepting the blame he then spread it around. Now who is exactly that's responsible for getting the offensive uiit on "the same page"? Whose fault would it be that the offense isn't game ready and be on the same page come game time?

This should be good.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Everything you just said appears to be truth. What you didn't say is that overall, our D held their O to less than our O put on the board. This was ALL on the O and mostly on Watson. JMO

Does Watson deserve a healthy chunk of blame? Yes. The facemask penalties and short yardage fumble are on him. Did he miss some passes? Yes.

He can't catch the ball for other guys or do anything to prevent them from fumbling, though. He can't prevent Jed from completely whiffing on blocks. He can't throw perfect on time passes when the timing is disrupted by pressure in his face nearly instantly.

I'm not sure if the Steelers predicted what we would do better than we predicted what they would do or if our gameplan was just trying to cover up a potential weakness rather than playing to our strengths or what. I was not a fan of the personnel groupings we went with on O. Its almost like we had guys playing with one hand tied behind their backs. We were having everybody helping everybody in the blocking game instead of just giving more options for getting the ball out quick and spreading things out to simplify reads. Giving help sounds great, but if everyone isn't on the same page it ends badly... and it did... repeatedly.

Fiercely Independent.
PitDAWG #2029367 09/21/23 03:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Got it. He's not allowed to say he and his teammates weren't on the same page or it's him pointing fingers and not taking responsibility.

Funny how that's one of the most common phrases across thousands of interviews and it's usually taken with a grain of salt.

But here, supposedly, we have Watson intentionally scapegoating his teammates to escape responsibility for something he's already vehemently accepted blame for.

2 members like this: guard dawg, lampdogg
Legend
Legend
The defense has been outstanding.

DW has to protect the ball and play better. He has been part of developing the offense according to all the reports in the off season.

It is not like KS is saying play my way or leave. KS has been a guy to play to the players skills.

I saw things I disliked no doubt. I am not a Harrison Bryant fan. I have no idea why he was solo blocking TJ.

I hated the first play even if he would have caught it. It was a going nowhere play.

It was a bad day. Everyone wants to blame someone. It is understandable that the QB is going to be blamed when the offense fails.
DW played poorly and deserves to be blamed. But others do as well.

If DW does not improve the team will fail. His poor play lost that game. Turnovers are a sure way to lose.

What is upsetting is not only did he turn it over but his lack of leadership. The face mask grabbing was immature and he did it twice.
He lacked composure under pressure. His reputation as a player was one of delivering in the clutch. He was the opposite of that.

FATE #2029369 09/21/23 03:33 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's not his teammates responsibility to have the team ready, prepared and on the same page come game day. But hey, you're getting closer.

I think you only need to look back at last season when the defense said they were confused and not on the same page to see who that blame ends up falling on.

I have faith in you that you can figure that out.

You do understand what a disclaimer is don't you? It was my fault with the exception we weren't all on the same page.

And once again, who would that responsibility fall on.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Does Watson deserve a healthy chunk of blame? Yes. The facemask penalties and short yardage fumble are on him. Did he miss some passes? Yes.

He can't catch the ball for other guys or do anything to prevent them from fumbling, though. He can't prevent Jed from completely whiffing on blocks. He can't throw perfect on time passes when the timing is disrupted by pressure in his face nearly instantly.

I'm not sure if the Steelers predicted what we would do better than we predicted what they would do or if our gameplan was just trying to cover up a potential weakness rather than playing to our strengths or what. I was not a fan of the personnel groupings we went with on O. Its almost like we had guys playing with one hand tied behind their backs. We were having everybody helping everybody in the blocking game instead of just giving more options for getting the ball out quick and spreading things out to simplify reads. Giving help sounds great, but if everyone isn't on the same page it ends badly... and it did... repeatedly.

I watched the game live, but I haven't gone back and looked (and I won't... nothing could motivate me to rewatch that game).

I felt he (Watson) was hesitant and indecisive. He seemed like he either wasn't comfortable in the offense, comfortable with his receivers, not trusting what he was seeing, or a combo. I specifically remember 3 plays where his hesitation was responsible for not hitting on big plays.
I also felt like the interior of our line was unusually porous. I felt those 3 guys' names were being called a LOT more frequently than what I'm used to hearing.

Pittsburgh is a well-coached defense. They don't have superstars after Watt and Minkah, but most of their front 7 are at least average. You put all your focus on a guy like Watt and give those guys an opening that they should be able to hit home (it's what they've been saying about everyone we've brought in opposite Garrett).

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I watched the game live, but I haven't gone back and looked (and I won't... nothing could motivate me to rewatch that game).

Watching the all-22 was actually a bit cathartic for me. Not sure watching a replay with commentary would be the same.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
Watson wasn’t playing a little bad, he was woefully bad and has been since he’s been here. I’m sick of people making excuses for him. He’s a low character poor quality QB at this point. I’m not saying we can’t fix the play, but I have a feeling the character is set in stone. Never should have been given a chance to play again after all those women. Just my opinion, based on what I’ve seen and heard from him.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/21/23 05:08 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
FATE #2029400 09/21/23 06:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Got it. He's not allowed to say he and his teammates weren't on the same page or it's him pointing fingers and not taking responsibility.

He's a $230 million dollar former probowl QB who can't get his TEAM on the same page., Got it

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
R
Legend
Legend
R
Who cares what Watson says and doesn't say? None of that changes the fact that he's not good. Receivers were running wide open all game. He just had no idea what to do. Who wants to roll the dice that it will improve?

This team is ready to win now. I think for the first time since '99 this defense is legit. It sucks to be held back by poor QB play. Not just poor QB play but a net negative actually being responsible for losses.

The best we can hope for is a tweaked hammy! We have a good QB on the roster. Free DTR!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

He's a $230 million dollar former probowl QB who can't get his TEAM on the same page., Got it

Actually, to date, Watson has been paid approximately $91,047,058 for the 8 games played or $10,755,822 (minus the 5M NFL fine) per game played thus far and can't get his team on the same page - PRICELESS!

To put that in perspective, $10,755,822 pocketed for that singular stellar performance on the national stage of Monday Night Football - MORE THAN PRICELESS!

The math: 2022 immediate payout for the restructure: $44,965,000, 2022 salary: $1,035,000, 2022 Fine: -$5,000,000, 2023 immediate payout for the restructure: $44,920,000, 2023 salary: $1,080,000/17 games = $63,529.41 x 2 games = $127,058.82 for a grand total of $86,047,058 already paid for the 8 games played or $10,755,882 per game.

Great gig if you can get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Legend
Legend

So that means he's not taking responsibility and blaming his teammates? rofl

1 member likes this: guard dawg
Rishuz #2029414 09/21/23 08:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Receivers were running wide open all game.

Were they? Did you watch the all-22 or are there a bunch of incriminating clips on Twitter?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's an interesting way to frame it. He's also being paid for future games. That's how signing bonuses work.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: guard dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Of course, that's understood but the money he has been paid (already in his pocket) for the number of games he's played makes his performance to date even more sickening. His per game cost will decrease as each week passes but as of today, he's been paid over 10.77M for each of those 8 games and his performance has been bottom 5 in the league. That's a far cry from top 5 elite as demonstrated by his performance on the field.

Thank God we don't have to give our defense 8 plus games to get up to speed.

FATE #2029430 09/22/23 08:09 AM
Legend
Legend

So that means he's not taking responsibility and blaming his teammates? rofl

Defend him if you must, hes still a guy that's getting paid to do a job and part of that is getting his teammates on the same damn page. He's completely unsuccessful at that.. By is own admission.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I tend to agree with everyone who says he's an abject failure at this point. I was willing to be patient a few games last year, but I was pretty concerned at the end of the year when he was still pretty bad.

And he's looked WORSE this season ... not accurate, can't read a defense, lost a step, getting personal fouls, turning it over. He's a bottom 5 QB right now. It sucks.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard