Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
mac #2029545 09/23/23 08:28 AM
Legend
Legend
KS cannot play for DW.

Pretty simple really. He needs to play better. KS did run the offense through the skills of the quarterbacks that have played for him.

He did it with Cousins, Baker, and Jacoby.

I didn't attend practice. However, the reports all off season were that the offense was going to be based upon what DW likes and what he does best. DW was heavily involved in play design.

Offensive plays succeed when the entire offense executes the play. The pick six to open the game. The ball was tipped at the line and Bryant did not secure the ball.

If protection breaks down DW was traded for what he can do with his legs and arm. Make a play. Extend the play and complete a throw or run.

When he runs. He has to protect the ball.

DW knows he has to play better.

2 members like this: guard dawg, 3rd_and_20
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
And that's it in a nutshell. DW knows what he has to do; play better. He's done it before he isn't injured or too old. He should be able to do it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We're going to find out if things continue to go bad. If things turn the corner, winning cures everything. But if things continue on this downward spiral, we'll find out how this plays out. Just remember, watson got so frustrated with losing in Houston he wanted control over naming the coach and GM. His frustration ended up with his refusal to play and sitting out. So the best some of you can hope for is a new and improved watson not only on a player level, but from a personality and character level as well if things continue to spiral. An indication were those two egregious face mask calls unless you don't believe those weren't an indication of anything either.

And how soon you forget where comments such as these ended up leading last season on the D side of the ball when a player said there was confusion in communication. It's odd how at that time fans knew what was being said and about who, but now suddenly they forgot about all of that. Chubb and Conklin getting hurt doesn't change the communication between the QB and the WR's/TE's.

Unless things change and the O starts producing well, we'll soon find out who ends up pointing the finger at who.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2029555 09/23/23 10:04 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, those QB's came from teams with unproven HC's. Those QB's played for teams known to be under performing. Those QB's played for teams who had signed a high priced QB that couldn't do much of anything for 8 straight games. Context means everything and you pretend it makes no difference. It just goes to show how desperate you are to make a point that simply doesn't exists here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mac #2029561 09/23/23 10:28 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mac
I think Stefanski can succeed with a pocket passer. That's what his offense needs. Guys are open or they are available to be thrown open if the QB understands what he's looking at. He needs a guy who can drop back, plant, fire. That's not Watson. We basically need a more dynamic version of Baker/Brissett.

This is the 2nd QB the Browns have given Stefanski to run his offense and now FATE suggests that the Browns just need to Stefanski a better QB to run his offense.

Folks, you ever think about the possibility that Stefanski isn't cut out to be a QB coach and HIS OFFENSIVE SCHEME STINKS?

You ever hear of a good offensive coordinator shaping the teams offense around his QB or shaping the offense according to the talent the coaches have to work with...

If Stefanski can't get Watson and the vaunted 'Stefanski offense' to produce, Stefanski needs to be relieved of his duties as OC and Alex Van Pelt should take over the offensive side of the ball.

Stefanski did attempt to shape the offense around Watson, which looks to have meant just running more shotgun and designed runs. Pass concepts all appear to be the same as previous years. I think it was hard to tell for the coaching staff that this wouldn't work in training camp because they don't do a lot of hard practicing in training camp and the starters hardly play in preseason games. I think Stefanski started to figure out it might not be working which is why he played the starters in game 3 but it was too little too late. I think he went into the regular season crossing his fingers and hoping for the best.

The offense can produce points and guys are open. It's not a terribly creative offense. Execution is rhe main issue though. But Stefanski should have given up playcalling duties two seasons ago. It's kind of funny that he admits things are wrong with the team and replaces coaches but just not him. It's everyone else that isn't doing a good job. I think he sees it as purely an execution issue so he can't be to blame. He sees his offense working and the players just aren't doing it right. Meanwhile, he just can't seem to stack wins, no one really considers hin a great coach, and his record declines year after year. All this while having uber talented teams.

I don't think Stefanski is an ego maniac. I think he's inexperienced. There is no replacement for experience. And no one above him is forcing his hand because they are all inexperienced as well. in the grand scheme of things the best you can describe him is average to below average. I think that's the way NFL insiders, knowledgeable nfl people, hard-core fans, and casual fans across the board would describe him. Sometimes it is the obvious answer and the masses get it right.

So we are stuck with him and stuck with Watson. We'll continue to trot out 12 win talent and end up on 7-11.

That's where we are.

Unless.....

Tweaked hammy! Free DTR!

Rishuz #2029562 09/23/23 10:38 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Did you forget about this little gem? According to what the public was being told they worked together to build this offense. It was a collaborate effort, remember?

#gmstrong
mac #2029566 09/23/23 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
I think Stefanski can succeed with a pocket passer. That's what his offense needs. Guys are open or they are available to be thrown open if the QB understands what he's looking at. He needs a guy who can drop back, plant, fire. That's not Watson. We basically need a more dynamic version of Baker/Brissett.

This is the 2nd QB the Browns have given Stefanski to run his offense and now FATE suggests that the Browns just need to Stefanski a better QB to run his offense.

Folks, you ever think about the possibility that Stefanski isn't cut out to be a QB coach and HIS OFFENSIVE SCHEME STINKS?

You ever hear of a good offensive coordinator shaping the teams offense around his QB or shaping the offense according to the talent the coaches have to work with...

If Stefanski can't get Watson and the vaunted 'Stefanski offense' to produce, Stefanski needs to be relieved of his duties as OC and Alex Van Pelt should take over the offensive side of the ball.

Designing a game plan to "protect" the OL makes things harder on the QB. Yet, when replacing a veteran OL with a mid round rookie in his first start and he'll be facing TJ Watt, it's a natural reaction.

Hopefully they go back to the plans they had and practiced all off-season. Monday night wasn't that, and a ridiculous amount of things went wrong that were unrelated to the scheme.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I'm at the point where if I'm Haslem, I'm hiring some private investigators to keep tabs on DW and dig up any dirt on him to try to void the contract.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Okay I'll admit after 8 games DW has been average at best. The last game was very winnable and as we all know we lost because of turnovers the first not being his fault. I still believe DW will get better. I still believe our O is better with DW than Baker because DW is a better athlete more skilled with a stronger arm that opposing DC have to prepare harder for. I have nothing against Baker. I liked him and hoped he did well here and was our QB for the next 10 years. He wasn't and we have what we have. Again, I believe DW will get better and our O will improve. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully "feelings and beliefs" will win out in this case. Thus far that hasn't worked after 8 games.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't think there is a Cleveland Browns fan that did not feel that we could win that game.

Expectations were soaring. So, the first play happens. The crowd goes crazy smelling blood.

Then Nick is on a stretcher. All those emotions are raw and flowing.

DW fumbles and they score again.

DW grabs a face mask twice. He fails down four points with time on the clock to win the game.

A four point game with two turnovers that gave the Steelers 14 points.

The reactions are exactly what you would expect.

Every fan wants someone to blame for a horrible game that we expected to win.

The season will play out. We either get it together or a lot of folks are going to be angry.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed bone and another issue that's not being discussed much is the PI that was not called on our last play. The ref was standing right there and didn't call it. I'm not saying we lost because of it but it should have been called and at least would have given us another few plays. You can bet it would have been called if it was the other way around!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/23/23 01:42 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quarterbacks. Look at what was given in trade to get Wilson, Watson, and Trey Lance.

Look at the Rams trade for Stafford now.

The Bears drafted Trubisky and then Fields. How has that worked? Rodgers? How has Kyle Murray worked out. Sam Darnold. Baker.

Quarterback graveyard.

When one looks at the history of quarterbacks in the NFL. One thing is clear.

Like Forrest said "quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates; ya never know what you are going to get."

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm pretty sure the ref felt that was an uncatchable ball. Which it was. If he had been open by ten yards there's no way he could have caught that ball in bounds. When a ball is deemed uncatchable they don't make that call.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe paying a kings ransom for all of those previous FA QB's that flopped should have been a clue. It's bad enough to fail when drafting a QB in the 1st round. But it's far worse when you pay them over 200 mil. and multiple first round picks and they fail.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029599 09/23/23 02:34 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm pretty sure the ref felt that was an uncatchable ball. Which it was. If he had been open by ten yards there's no way he could have caught that ball in bounds. When a ball is deemed uncatchable they don't make that call.

If the ref deemed that ball un-catchable, why didn't he call holding? Because it certainly WAS holding at a minimum.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Whatever the reason for our problems on O we need to get it straightened out quickly. The AFC is wide open right now. The Jets lost AR, the Bengals and Chargers are 0-2, the Chiefs don't look as strong as advertised and the Bills don't either. With our D, the way it looks right now, we can play with anyone. If we lose our next 2 games because of our O I think something needs to be done and fast. We can't throw this season down the drain with the talent assembled here. A coaching change or at least how our O is run will have to be addressed. WE have 3 straight games at home. If we lose tomorrow, it's a real possibility we could be 1-4 because we have the Ravens and 49ers next. That can't happen and might kill our season. JMO

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/23/23 02:40 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Because the ball was thrown so far out of bounds that aside from anything else that happened on that play he could not have caught that ball in bounds. I know people just love to blame the refs somehow for every loss the Browns have. Maybe if the QB had thrown the ball in a place the WR had a chance in hell of catching the ball in bounds we wouldn't be having this conversation.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029602 09/23/23 02:47 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I myself am not blaming the refs. We lost that game because of turnovers not to mention that 71-yard TD pass that wouldn't have happened if we didn't allow a 1st down on 3rd and 10 and a run to boot on the play just before it.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/23/23 02:48 PM.
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by boofers20
I'm at the point where if I'm Haslem, I'm hiring some private investigators to keep tabs on DW and dig up any dirt on him to try to void the contract.
this is probably going to happen at some point honestly

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by bonefish
I don't think there is a Cleveland Browns fan that did not feel that we could win that game.

It was the first time since week 2 2008 that i thought we were clearly going to win over them. I was wrong then but I was justified now. Stack the rosters. The Browns are head and shoulders more talented than the Steelers. I cannot stress this enough....they are Watt and a bunch of jags. I was so confident of the win even after the pick 6.

The issue is we have Stefanski and they have Tomlin.

Quick, someone give me a Stefanski signature win. Or better yet, if Stefanski gets fired is he getting another head coaching gig? We all know the answer to this.

We are at a severe disadvantage every single game with our head coach. The Browns are so clearly the better team tomorrow that it should for sure be a win. We will see if Stefanski can coach the team to one.

Rishuz #2029612 09/23/23 05:04 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agree with you Rish. I was talking with a buddy the other day and asked what the signature win of the Stafanski era was. He replied the playoff win against pittsburgh. So I asked him where Stefanski was during that game. And he sad: That's right, he was home in his basement

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #2029621 09/23/23 05:29 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Kevin "no one does less with more" Stefanski

Rishuz #2029626 09/23/23 05:35 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Rishuz I am starting to agree with you. I like KS and want him to do well but the evidence is getting stronger against him. These next 3 games may tell the story. They are all at home. I feel we should win 2 out of 3. If we lose all 3 we might have some change coming. We can't be 1-4 after 5 games. Even a 2-3 record would be a disappointment.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

If the ref deemed that ball un-catchable, why didn't he call holding? Because it certainly WAS holding at a minimum.

We've all seen passes that are un-catchable being flagged for PI over the years, especially when the NFL needed Tom Brady to get a game winning drive. Unless some of the receivers are like Mr. Fantastic and can stretch his limbs, then it shouldn't be called. However the refs need to be consistent IMO, which will never happen of course

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I could probably look this up but I am too lazy, and I would have little knowledge of the way the guy coached. I am not asking to a wise guy, but who was Watson's coach at Houston when he was very successful and what type of offense did they run.

Was it different than ours? Something must have worked for him to be near MVP level stats for a year or 2.

Legend
Legend
Deshaun Watson accounted for three of the Browns' four turnovers, including a first-play pick-six and a game-losing fumble returned for a touchdown by T.J. Watt. Watson was also called for two massive 15-yard facemask penalties.

His passer rating (69.1), also 31. His completion percentage ranks dead last at 55.1.

And it is Stefanski's fault???

Please.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Deshaun Watson accounted for three of the Browns' four turnovers, including a first-play pick-six and a game-losing fumble returned for a touchdown by T.J. Watt. Watson was also called for two massive 15-yard facemask penalties.

His passer rating (69.1), also 31. His completion percentage ranks dead last at 55.1.

And it is Stefanski's fault???

Please.
Do you think the HC is not responsible for the play of the starting @uarterback?
How about if the HC is responsible for who the starter is at @uarterback.
How about if the HC is r' for the preparation of the orchestrator of the offense from the on field,
or for making sure they get enough practice together as a unit, I mean the thrower and the catcher,

How about, if the HC is responsible in any way,, that if , in a big game, over 4 or five years, that way too often if the game is on the line, that way too often,
they end up relying on an H Back, or a 3rd TE, or a 3rd Rb. on a crunch play, and a lot of the time apparently by design.

Is none of it Stefanski's fault???

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
PitDAWG #2029651 09/23/23 08:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Because the ball was thrown so far out of bounds that aside from anything else that happened on that play he could not have caught that ball in bounds. I know people just love to blame the refs somehow for every loss the Browns have. Maybe if the QB had thrown the ball in a place the WR had a chance in hell of catching the ball in bounds we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think you are mixing up the end of the 2nd to last drive and the very last throw. 2nd to last drive I'll give you uncatchable. Very last throw was easily catchable if the DB hadn't prevented DPJ from coming back to the ball.

Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
heres how i look at it. Watson before he came here was a top 5 QB, led the league in passing his last year and threw for 5k yards and 70%..elite by any standard. he also threw 33 TD's and only 7 picks. Stefanski was responsible for cousins lowest output in his time in Minnesota.., He's left there and cousins has gotten better, so to me, I'm looking at the guy who seems to get the least out of good players than I am the guy who just all of a sudden got worse when he came here. We will never win anything significant with Stefanski, regardless who the QB is. Yes Watson has looked bad here, but I don't think its all on him. I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than I am Stefanski since Watson has a history of playing at a high level, stefasnki rode Kubiaks coattails to an OC job and hasn't really done much to make his own way the further away from that job. Bottom line is unless your name is Andy Reid, you should not call plays as a HC

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
How about making sense?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by leadtheway
heres how i look at it. Watson before he came here was a top 5 QB, led the league in passing his last year and threw for 5k yards and 70%..elite by any standard. he also threw 33 TD's and only 7 picks. Stefanski was responsible for cousins lowest output in his time in Minnesota.., He's left there and cousins has gotten better, so to me, I'm looking at the guy who seems to get the least out of good players than I am the guy who just all of a sudden got worse when he came here. We will never win anything significant with Stefanski, regardless who the QB is. Yes Watson has looked bad here, but I don't think its all on him. I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than I am Stefanski since Watson has a history of playing at a high level, stefasnki rode Kubiaks coattails to an OC job and hasn't really done much to make his own way the further away from that job. Bottom line is unless your name is Andy Reid, you should not call plays as a HC

Is it really that surprising that Cousins' numbers got better once the Vikings drafted the best WR in the league? Dalvin Cook's numbers got a lot worse post-Stefanski.

Even Andy Reid struggles when his receivers are dropping passes that go right to the defense for INTs. See Kadarius Toney week 1. It's actually kind of eerily similar to Bryant last week. The Chiefs are 1-1, too, and their O has been struggling. They also have a struggling OT. Is Andy Reid suddenly a bad coach?

If we don't look improved coming out of the bye, then maybe I start to worry about Stefanski more. We could look much better today. (Though the Titans' D isn't the best opponent for a get right game)

To me, it's too soon to jump to conclusions this season. We'll see how it goes.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I tend to agree with you. Stefnaski didn't make watson an inaccurate passer. He also didn't make watson have ball security issues.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bone...You do realize that Watson has more job security than Stefanski does..?

How many chances should Stefanski get before Haslam pulls the plug on KS..?

A wise NFL coach once said this about judging a coach's value and performance...

"YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE"...

After 4 yrs as the Browns HC/OC, Stefanski is a 50-50 coach...win a game, lose a game. It's time to face reality, Stefanski is not what we thought he was and he has not shown to have the ability to change or improve his own performance.

He did not come into coaching with a background in offensive football. His personal experience with the game was on the defensive side of the ball, playing DB in college, never at QB.

Hopefully Haslam has a short leash on Stefanski.

Anyone believe Bill Parcells would give Stefanski another year to try to prove himself as the Browns HC/OC..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2029706 09/24/23 10:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns (1991–1995)

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland, he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team.[38] Coincidentally, his one playoff victory during his Browns tenure was achieved against the New England Patriots, who were coached by former Giants head coach Bill Parcells, in the Wild Card Round during that postseason.[39] In Belichick's last season in Cleveland, the Browns finished 5–11, despite starting 3–1.[40] One of his most controversial moves was cutting quarterback Bernie Kosar midway through the 1993 season. Kosar was signed by the Dallas Cowboys two days later and won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXVIII as a backup. In November 1995, in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season.[41] After first being given assurances that he would coach the new team that would later become the Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.[42]

Remember this guy boy did he really suck.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
mac #2029711 09/24/23 10:28 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
Bone...You do realize that Watson has more job security than Stefanski does..?

How many chances should Stefanski get before Haslam pulls the plug on KS..?

A wise NFL coach once said this about judging a coach's value and performance...

"YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE"...

After 4 yrs as the Browns HC/OC, Stefanski is a 50-50 coach...win a game, lose a game. It's time to face reality, Stefanski is not what we thought he was and he has not shown to have the ability to change or improve his own performance.

He did not come into coaching with a background in offensive football. His personal experience with the game was on the defensive side of the ball, playing DB in college, never at QB.

Hopefully Haslam has a short leash on Stefanski.

Anyone believe Bill Parcells would give Stefanski another year to try to prove himself as the Browns HC/OC..?

Yes, let's get rid of Stefanski so that we can end up with the next Hue Jackson. rolleyes

Bill Belichick's record in his first four seasons in Cleveland was 31-33. You all would have tried to run him off, too.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 09/24/23 10:30 AM. Reason: Must have been fact checking my post as you were posting yours, GM.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Very catchable ball, particularly if the CB is not yanking him away from the catch.

P
Legend
Legend
P
One point is hard to deny no matter what our opinions may be. If things continue to go south we should all face the reality of how things will end. That 230 million dollar guaranteed contract assures us of how things will end here. No matter if the problem ends up being watson or not.

That contract means the Browns are married to watson. There's no way out of that. So when push comes to shove when the Browns feel they need to appease the fan base, it will be Stefanski who will be the sacrificial lamb.

#gmstrong
Hammer #2029728 09/24/23 11:06 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks for that replay. It shows without a doubt there was no way the WR could have caught that ball in bounds even if he had been open.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
How about making sense?
HAHA

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard