Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
PitDAWG #2029732 09/24/23 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully Haslam can make better decisions than a loud group of "fanatics." I'm not counting on it. I think a big piece of things some people are forgetting is that if we do get rid of Stefanski, there's, to me, a decent chance they get it even more wrong next time. Stefanski could work out (better than) fine, I think.

Stefanski hasn't had an easy go of it. Had to deal with COVID. Had to deal with the whole Deshaun situation last year. Had Chubb and an OT go down so far this year.

We won a playoff game with him. That was progress. The locker room seems to buy into him. We're going through the growing pains of working in a couple new bodies with the starters (plus, a bunch of pass catchers missed a lot of preseason.) I don't really have the urge to go through the acclimation process with everybody again with a new HC.

Honestly, I still have scars from the Hue years. The thought that Haslam might get it that wrong again is not something that I want to chance.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Browns QB Deshaun Watson fined $35,513 for unsportsmanlike conduct, two unnecessary roughness violations in loss to Steelers

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson was fined a total of $35,513 for unsportsmanlike conduct and two unnecessary roughness violations during last Monday night's 26-22 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the league announced on Saturday.

Watson was fined $13,659 for unsportsmanlike conduct and $10,927 twice for two separate unnecessary roughness penalties during the Week 2 game.

NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported that Watson's unsportsmanlike conduct fine was for a gun-themed celebration in the third quarter after Cleveland scored a touchdown.

Browns tight end David Njoku, who was seen doing the same celebration with Watson, was also fined $13,659 by the league for unsportsmanlike conduct, Pelissero reported.

Watson's two fines for unnecessary roughness were for separate facemask penalties that came in the third and fourth quarters of Monday night's road loss.

Following the first unnecessary roughness penalty he incurred in the third quarter, Watson appeared to make contact with an official while arguing the flag, but the NFL on Tuesday announced that the contact did not warrant a punishment.

"Officials are called upon to maintain order on the field, and sometimes while performing those duties, there is inadvertent contact between players and officials," the league said in a statement on Tuesday. "In this instance, in their judgment, the contact did not rise to the level of a foul."

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-qb-...r-unsportsmanlike-conduct-two-unnecessar

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029735 09/24/23 11:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Thanks for that replay. It shows without a doubt there was no way the WR could have caught that ball in bounds even if he had been open.

How is a ball that passes within an inch of a receivers' hands while being interfered with on the field of play uncatchable? (1:30 mark) If he'd been able to go back to the ball, he'd have gotten to it even sooner/before it got closer to the sideline. He was being held with the ball in the air. One (I'd say You, but, eh....) can clearly see the jersey coming away from the shoulder pads in Porter's hand.

Your assertion, "without a doubt," is in no way obvious.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree that should have been PI. Contact was made before the ball got there and there was a jersey pull. If that didn't happen he may have had a better chance of catching the ball. As far as KS, if he were to be fired and I'm not saying this will happen or I want it to happen, JS can be promoted to HC and how we run the O would have to be worked out. I really hope we start playing better on O and hope this doesn't happen.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Are we even looking at the same video?

That ball came down about 3 yards out of bounds. Even when it was out of reach when he was trying to catch it, which it still was over his head and his left foot was out of bounds by at least a yard.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029757 09/24/23 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His foot was out of bounds because he was being pulled down earlier. It was only "uncatchable" because he was being interfered with. If he hadn't been, he'd have been at a different spot on the field and would have been able to put his hands up and/or jump. Are you saying a receiver has never caught a ball above his head? It's not like it was 20 feet over his head. If DPJ had been able to take one step back (not been held) and stand up straight the ball might have bounced off the top of his helmet.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
I simply can't believe that's your takeaway based on the replay. That ball was out of bounds by a mile and there's no possible way he could have ever caught that ball in bounds. And I don't even see that as being close.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2029761 09/24/23 12:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When Joe Buck is pointing out a potential flag that would have benefited the Browns on live TV, I think the reason you don't see it is because you don't want to.

Fiercely Independent.
GMdawg #2029827 09/24/23 01:08 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bone...You do realize that Watson has more job security than Stefanski does..?

How many chances should Stefanski get before Haslam pulls the plug on KS..?

A wise NFL coach once said this about judging a coach's value and performance...

"YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE"...

After 4 yrs as the Browns HC/OC, Stefanski is a 50-50 coach...win a game, lose a game. It's time to face reality, Stefanski is not what we thought he was and he has not shown to have the ability to change or improve his own performance.

He did not come into coaching with a background in offensive football. His personal experience with the game was on the defensive side of the ball, playing DB in college, never at QB.

Hopefully Haslam has a short leash on Stefanski.

Anyone believe Bill Parcells would give Stefanski another year to try to prove himself as the Browns HC/OC..?

GM responds...From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

GM...so you view Stefanski as a GREAT HC, comparable to Bill Belichick...really?

gm...you think Parcells would view Stefanski as the next Belichick..?

Or, would Parcells look at Stefanski as a coach who is what his record says he is...a 50-50 HC.

My criticism of Stefanski is based on his lack of progress as a coach. He seems to be incapable of viewing his own performance as a HC and accept responsibility for his part in the failure of his offense to produce.

A good coach adjusts his offense (in this case) according to the talent he has to work with. These are the players Stefanski and his gang wanted..upgrading QB, TEs, WRs, RBs.

Does Haslam wait to see if the offensive unit responds favorably and plays according to the talent Stefanski said he needed to make the playoffs and have a shot at a Super Bowl..?

Haslam has this coaching staff set up to make a change at HC if needed and still have the possibility to make the playoffs IF HASLAM DOESN'T WAIT TOO LONG to make the change.

Bringing Schwartz in as DC and seeing what a difference that made in the performance of the defense should help Haslam realize that 'if needed', he doesn't have to sit back and watch this season get flushed down the toilet.

It obvious that Schwartz was able to earn the respect of his players and those players have responded. I have NO DOUBT that the players on the offense would respond and respect Schwartz just as the defense did, if Schwartz was replaced Stefanski as HC.

Haslam could ask Van Pelt to take over the OC responsibility while Schwartz continued to focus primarily on the defense.

The point is, Haslam has the flexibility to make changes if Stefanski fails to produce as OC and he would not be forced to watch an entire season get flushed down the toilet because of poor coaching.

It would be best if Stefanski adjusted his offense to better suit the talent he has to work with.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
2nd Q of the Tenn game. Single dumbest QB play I have ever ever seen. Ey Ey ey

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
Legend
Legend
L
It’s the worse nightmare for DW haters. He balled out today against a good front

Last edited by lampdogg; 09/24/23 03:58 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
One dumb play, but overall a great game by DW today.

27/33, 289 yards, 2 TDs no turnovers

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Watson had a really nice game today, overall. (especially given that he was screwed out of a long TD by the so called official)

They also did what I suggested .... short passes, get the ball out of his hands, and build some confidence. Then they started with some of the deeper passes, and started connecting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
2 members like this: EveDawg, lampdogg
Swish #2030311 09/24/23 04:17 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
100%. Excellent escapability, good throws and accuracy. Best so far for us.... One knucklehead play reminiscent of a play by weeden I seem to recall. Props to KS too. Didn't get away from the run game even though it struggled early. Went for the jugular with the deep TD when leading. Good all round

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #2030331 09/24/23 04:31 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Ravens just got beat by Colts... thumbsup

Good for Browns...

Swish #2030332 09/24/23 04:32 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish

You have to be talking about the backward pass...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
It’s the worse nightmare for DW haters. He balled out today against a good front

Didn't get to see the game today, spent all day at work.
Sounds like Watson played really well.
I am still ready for him to go.

I will admit to being a DW hater, this game wasn't a nightmare.
I want the Browns to win, happy we did
I want DW to play well while he is a Brown
I don't want him to be a Brown

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
1 member likes this: mgh888
O
Legend
Legend
O
DW played better in the second half. And those bashing the DW haters, careful what you say because one good half still does not make him elite. I don’t hate DW the player, I just don’t see a 230 mil top 5 QB yet. And I’m not buying into anymore hype about him until I do see something that makes me think he’s special at the position. Heck, before the end of the first half I saw calls for DTR and not much but bashing DW.

That said, it was a good team win. The O seemed to start getting it and you could see DW’s confidence grow in the 2nd half. DW played very well in the second half, and if he can do that every week from here on out, we’ll be a serious contender. This D is super special. They’ve played two games now that makes me think it could be one of those historical Ds praised for decades to come. Ski and DW are attached at the hip in their success. They both took a step in the right direction today. Overall, a satisfying win.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Jester #2030343 09/24/23 04:57 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Watson started throwing to his checkdowns instead of trying to win the game on a single pass. He hit the longer passes when the opportunity was there. Decision making was greatly improved today, save for one remarkably dumb play.

Build off it and carry it in to the Baltimore and get that win.

mgh888 #2030363 09/24/23 05:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
100%. Excellent escapability, good throws and accuracy. Best so far for us.... One knucklehead play reminiscent of a play by weeden I seem to recall. Props to KS too. Didn't get away from the run game even though it struggled early. Went for the jugular with the deep TD when leading. Good all round

LOL I called out Brandon Weeden by his name after the play today as well!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
O
Legend
Legend
O
He was long overdue for this game. Good for him, he (and the O) took a lot of heat off their back and got a real bad taste out of their mouths.

Show me that a Watson-led offense won't poo the bed vs a non-Ohio division rival and I'll start getting hopeful.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
When Joe Buck is pointing out a potential flag that would have benefited the Browns on live TV, I think the reason you don't see it is because you don't want to.

Of course the flag would have benefited them. That's entirely different than saying the flag deserved to be thrown.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Who would they be? What it did is point out that the way DW has sucked to this point didn't happen yesterday. Yesterday he had a great game! Up until yesterday he hadn't had one. But that's a great way to try and label people who have simply been telling the truth. I don't like DW the person. But for all the other 52 players on the active roster, for the coaching staff and all of my many friends who are avid fans and even for myself who roots for the Browns, I always hope he plays well and finally, yesterday he did.

It wasn't a nightmare, it was a cause for celebration. After Chubb went down DW knew everything rested on his shoulders. The way he has been playing to this point I was very concerned how this would all unfold. Yet in the pool I still picked the Browns minus three and a half. Oooh, what a hater. DW stood up to the challenge. He didn't crumble under that pressure. He was crisp, accurate and decisive. His decision making was fantastic. It's almost as if knowing everything depended on him actually inspired him to play better. Some people crumble under such pressure and others are motivated by it. He certainly looked motivated yesterday. Hopefully this is what we'll see moving forward. I'm also hoping they can get the running game to produce more so not everything rests on DW's shoulders.

#gmstrong
G
Rookie
Rookie
G
I haven’t followed Watson much but how is he doing this year so far?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Greenbayfan

The only QB balling out the gate is Tua. When comparing Watson to the rest of the field, he’s doing fine.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #2030480 09/25/23 11:19 AM
G
Rookie
Rookie
G

The only QB balling out the gate is Tua. When comparing Watson to the rest of the field, he’s doing fine.
I hope Love continues to improve.

Legend
Legend

I hope Love continues to improve.

Yo what’s up with y’all QBs having similar career arcs? Jordan Love looks like he could be that dude

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Watson in 2 home games is 3TDs, 1 pick, 1 rushing TD, and 69.4% accuracy.

If he can keep it going at home, we only need a couple road wins to get into the playoffs

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #2030486 09/25/23 11:27 AM
G
Rookie
Rookie
G
He looked awful in the first half. He came on in the 2nd though. I’m not sure he will be a hall of Famer though.

Legend
Legend
Each week is like a chapter in a book.

When the season ends the story has been told.

DW has played the game we all have been waiting to see. I have seen hitters in a funk get that base hit that gets them going.

I don't know if it will happen with DW. Next week is a new chapter in the book of the season.

Momentum is a real thing. I pay attention to body language. How players are reacting. Yesterday was the first time I have seen DW look the part. He finally seemed to get his feet on solid ground. Like he was playing the game in tune.

You have to see it and believe in it. Anticipate, and trust yourself and your teammates.

That was the kind of showing you can build upon. We have enough talent on offense to win with. But you have to play as a cohesive unit. The defense is playing that way. Use all we have. Get Njoku, DPJ, and Moore involved, along with Cooper. Use Kareem in screens. Use Ford in the passing game. Mix it up. Take a long shot with Goodwin. I want to see Moore in the slot and not in the backfield. Don't over complicate the run game. Trust Ford. Give him the plays Nick ran.

The Ravens will come to play. Odell and Clowney will be there. It is time to defend home field.

mgh888 #2030491 09/25/23 11:47 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by mgh888

First time I saw Stefanski act with good confidence and showing a positive body language filled with offensive vibes up until the end of the Q4. That's a huge difference from what we saw against the Steelers. I firmly believe that Watson is a "sunshine" personality who needs almost constant encouragement to unlock his full potential.

Anyway. Our man Watson needed a happy ending after given all his chicks, sorry I mean fans, so many half hearted sessions.
A good performance no matter what and I have to give them credit for showing up with the best they had after such a horrible loss against the Steelers.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I don't want you to be fooled here. Until yesterday watson did not look good at all. As a result he had one of the lowest percentages in the NFL in terms of pass completions through week two. But the light turned on yesterday and he looked far more like the QB we all had hoped to see. So as of now things are looking up.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think when you have as much time off as he did and things don't go right immediately, its a case of self doubt.. asking yourself can you still do it. I think a few more games like yesterday and we will see watson get back to what he was. Confidence is a funny thing, can make you play above your abilities and below your abilities depending where on the spectrum you are. Same for the whole team.. Defense has it in spades, I think the Offense lost it all when chubb went down. They got a bit of it back yesterday.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I think when you have as much time off as he did and things don't go right immediately, its a case of self doubt.. asking yourself can you still do it. I think a few more games like yesterday and we will see watson get back to what he was. Confidence is a funny thing, can make you play above your abilities and below your abilities depending where on the spectrum you are. Same for the whole team.. Defense has it in spades, I think the Offense lost it all when chubb went down. They got a bit of it back yesterday.

70% of the NFL is about confidence and momentum. Need the D to keep both up.

Rishuz #2030510 09/25/23 12:31 PM
Legend
Legend
I agree. In years past our players expected to lose, have miscommunications, etc. You gotta build on momentum

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #2030514 09/25/23 12:36 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

I don't remember when it was, so I assume the dumb play was his backwards ........ whatever that was, but when I saw it I had an uneasy Flipper flashback.

Legend
Legend
don't remind us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #2030563 09/25/23 02:34 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O

No he hasn’t. Yesterday was the first time since he’s been here that he didn’t look like a lost backup QB. Dude has been putrid for us until yesterday. I just hope yesterday wasn’t an anomaly and he starts earning that contract. He gave us basically the same game decent Baker would give us. No upgrade seen yet. But at least I’m not thinking the Browns got duped and the next three years we’ll be stuck with a dud anymore. I’ve now seen he’s capable of starting QB play. So my next question is, can he do that consistently and can he improve upon that? When we can answer both of those questions with yes, I’ll feel much better about him. Until then, he’s a question mark in my book.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yesterday was an upgrade. We will have to wait and see moving forward but yesterday was an upgrade by far.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2030573 09/25/23 02:57 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Over what we were getting out of Watson in the previous games? I agree. Over Mayfields best games (comparing apples to apples) not so much, YET.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard