Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Legend
Legend
bingo ... we never touched Stafford all game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Big news in case you didn't notice.

Ford and Hunt are not good.

Interesting you don't post when we win two in row. You are the fastest gun in the west when we lose. You can't wait to blame KS.

Simple question. Why was the game lost?

I will answer. There was no pressure on Stafford.

Like I said previously, I post when I see something outlandish and Flacco trying to pass 46 times when 2 weeks earlier he was playing "Mario Bros" in his basement is outlandish. I also recognized Flacco's stellar effort and (though I see you skirt the issue) the defense was horrid. There's no question that Ford and Hunt are not Chubb but when Ford rushes for 6.3 yards per carry like he did against the Ravens and 7.2 yards per carry against the Broncos (4.2 yds per carry for the year), you have to ask why the run game is not more involved. Instead, the Stefanski led Browns trot out a 5th round rookie one week followed by a vet whose been sitting on the couch for 11 weeks only to support their efforts by having the 2 lowest rushing attempts by the team for the entire season. Surely, I'm not the only Browns supporter that has recognized that when the Browns run the ball at least 30 times since Chubb went down the Browns are 5-1. It's also a fact that the Browns are 1-3 in games they run the ball less than 30 times since Chubb's injury. You want to blame the loss on the lack of pressure on Stafford and it played a part. However, what kind of HC do you have that doesn't have a clue that the team's chances to win are highly more probable (to the tune of 83.3%) if you run the rock more than 30 times per game and a 75% chance of losing when you don't after Chubb's injury?

So, you betcha that I'm going to be vocal when the HC screws the team again with his poor play calling as he's done for almost 3 full seasons now. I mean heck, we can't hold him accountable for anything the defense or special teams do since it became clear last year that it's not his problem and not accountable. So, who's the scapegoat going to be this year?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
What you fail to see is the football game.

Ford's yards per carry do not tell the story. You could drive a truck through the hole he does see. He breaks a long run because there is nothing but daylight. Then runs into the backs of his blockers and all the other plays. And all you do see is the yards per carry.

KS called a great game. You unfortunately would not know that.

Your agenda is actually the only thing that is clear when you post.

Hammer #2047424 12/04/23 11:44 AM
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by Hammer
The Clueless One re-emerges.

One step forward. Two steps back. Right?

L
Legend
Legend
L
The drive where we scored the last touchdown might have been the best drive in terms of playcalling and execution since stefanski took over as HC. It was a perfect balance, perfect sets, great execution. Then the very next drive, instead of doing that exact same thing and eat up alot of clock and then kick the field goal and win. Stefanski calls a deep pass play.. we didn't need to do that, we were down 1 point and there was 6 minutes left in the game.. we could have taken almost all of it with a drive like the previous one. Our last 2 drives prior to that one, both ended in scores and took 7:34 and 6:50 respectively. It not a most of the time bad playcalling with stefanski, its the situational playcalling he's just garbage.. Same goes in the red zone. Its a problem. Looking back at the replay on the Flacco interception. I think the issue with that play wasn't all on Joe, if you watch the play..it was the absolute right read, Moore was behind the defense and had separation.. If Flacco hits that throw its 6. But watching it back, Flacco couldn't step in to the throw because teller was playing like every brown oline this year and got absolutely demolished one on one and driven right back into flacco.. had Teller been able to hold that block for 1/2 second longer we are probably talking about a win today.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski ended the Browns chances when he became impatient and called for a deep pass from his new QB who had lost his #1 deep threat WR in the first half.

Flacco had just engineered a 13 play TD drive that took over 9 minutes off of the clock...a missed extra point left the Browns behind by 1 point...thus, to win the game, the Browns needed to get close enough to attempt a game winning FIELD GOAL and eat up as much of the remaining 6:51 in the 4th qtr...and the Browns fly home a WINNER.

Honestly fellow dawgs...YOU CAN'T MAKE UP THE BS the Browns coaching staff does to lose football games..!!!!!

Be honest to yourself...Stefanski didn't give Flacco and the offense a chance to win the game the way we have several times before this season.

There is NO DOUBT that Stefanski IS CAPABLE of engineering an game winning FIELD GOAL DRIVE...but sometimes he gets a freaking BRAIN FART, forgetting what is needed to win a football game.

Another opportunity to win a game, but lost by the play calling of the Browns OC.

Last edited by mac; 12/04/23 12:54 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2047439 12/04/23 01:12 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. When we got the ball back with 6:51 I said we have plenty of time to run small chunk plays, move the chains, keep the clock running and then set up for a winning FG. I couldn't believe we threw that pass. Same stuff as the Seattle game!!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/04/23 01:12 PM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
On our last TD drive, Strong carried the ball for 7 yards and then 13 yards. At least one of those carries was almost a breakaway...early in the 4th. He never touched the ball again.

After that drive, the D got a 3-and-out...we were down by one. We had just methodically marched down the field for a TD. Then the long ball int on the first play to essentially end the game.

Oh...I forgot...I guess Hunt is our lead back again.

I keep seeing the same cute BS and the stopping of ourselves offensively. Ski can't help himself...it's who he is. I don't think his tendencies are what leads to winning seasons and playoff appearances.

When does on-the-job training turn into a consistent, winning program?

I can't wait until next year when we hear about DW4 just needing time to shake off the rust.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The way things have been going with DW we better keep Joe Flacco around as a backup for next year

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What you fail to see is the football game.

Ford's yards per carry do not tell the story. You could drive a truck through the hole he does see. He breaks a long run because there is nothing but daylight. Then runs into the backs of his blockers and all the other plays. And all you do see is the yards per carry.

KS called a great game. You unfortunately would not know that.

Your agenda is actually the only thing that is clear when you post.

Numerous other posters are saying the exact same thing about Stefanski. I guess they all have an agenda too according to your thought process. You call it an agenda - I call it calling out the guy that has had a FO deliver the highest spend in the entire NFL over the last 3 years to get a winner in Cleveland and the guy has failed twice already in failing to even deliver a winning season.

I mean come on man!

The Browns revamped the WR room. Supposedly has the best OL in football. A top 5 paid TE. A 230M elite QB who's played in half the games. Yet the Stefanski led offense is 24th in passing, 24th in receiving, dead last - #32 in completion pct, 6th in rushing yards yet the HC still refuses to run the ball, and 17th in scoring at 21.5 pts per game which is just .3 better than last year's 21.2 per game last place finish in the AFC North. Worst yet though is the fact that Stefanski's team is scoring at a 14.7 pts per game over the last 3 games which is 26th in the league and tied with WAS and only 2 pts per game better than Carolina. CAROLINA MIND YOU! Great company for a playoff caliber team, coaching staff, and FO.

Called a great game huh? Last time I checked, scoring 19 points and getting whooped is not calling a great game though it did bring their average up to 14.7 over the last 3 so I'll give you that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So the total lack of QB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact they don't have any quality RB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact the D gave up 36 points against the Rams is his fault too? See, there are some things you can point to Stefanski for. Not that everyone will agree but at least they're understandable. But when you decide to leave out the big picture to focus on selective points it certainly doesn't represent an impartial opinion.

But you are certainly correct that you aren't the only one who does that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by leadtheway
The drive where we scored the last touchdown might have been the best drive in terms of playcalling and execution since stefanski took over as HC. It was a perfect balance, perfect sets, great execution. Then the very next drive, instead of doing that exact same thing and eat up alot of clock and then kick the field goal and win. Stefanski calls a deep pass play.. we didn't need to do that, we were down 1 point and there was 6 minutes left in the game.. we could have taken almost all of it with a drive like the previous one. Our last 2 drives prior to that one, both ended in scores and took 7:34 and 6:50 respectively. It not a most of the time bad playcalling with stefanski, its the situational playcalling he's just garbage.. Same goes in the red zone. Its a problem. Looking back at the replay on the Flacco interception. I think the issue with that play wasn't all on Joe, if you watch the play..it was the absolute right read, Moore was behind the defense and had separation.. If Flacco hits that throw its 6. But watching it back, Flacco couldn't step in to the throw because teller was playing like every brown oline this year and got absolutely demolished one on one and driven right back into flacco.. had Teller been able to hold that block for 1/2 second longer we are probably talking about a win today.
Originally Posted by mac
Stefanski ended the Browns chances when he became impatient and called for a deep pass from his new QB who had lost his #1 deep threat WR in the first half.

Flacco had just engineered a 13 play TD drive that took over 9 minutes off of the clock...a missed extra point left the Browns behind by 1 point...thus, to win the game, the Browns needed to get close enough to attempt a game winning FIELD GOAL and eat up as much of the remaining 6:51 in the 4th qtr...and the Browns fly home a WINNER.

Honestly fellow dawgs...YOU CAN'T MAKE UP THE BS the Browns coaching staff does to lose football games..!!!!!

Be honest to yourself...Stefanski didn't give Flacco and the offense a chance to win the game the way we have several times before this season.

There is NO DOUBT that Stefanski IS CAPABLE of engineering an game winning FIELD GOAL DRIVE...but sometimes he gets a freaking BRAIN FART, forgetting what is needed to win a football game.

Another opportunity to win a game, but lost by the play calling of the Browns OC.
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I agree. When we got the ball back with 6:51 I said we have plenty of time to run small chunk plays, move the chains, keep the clock running and then set up for a winning FG. I couldn't believe we threw that pass. Same stuff as the Seattle game!!!
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
On our last TD drive, Strong carried the ball for 7 yards and then 13 yards. At least one of those carries was almost a breakaway...early in the 4th. He never touched the ball again.

After that drive, the D got a 3-and-out...we were down by one. We had just methodically marched down the field for a TD. Then the long ball int on the first play to essentially end the game.

Oh...I forgot...I guess Hunt is our lead back again.

I keep seeing the same cute BS and the stopping of ourselves offensively. Ski can't help himself...it's who he is. I don't think his tendencies are what leads to winning seasons and playoff appearances.

When does on-the-job training turn into a consistent, winning program?

I can't wait until next year when we hear about DW4 just needing time to shake off the rust.

I agree with all of you on most points.

The problem with taking care of the playcalling is that he has to focus on the present. His thoughts have to revolve around the playbook and what to do next. As a consequence his time is limited to evaluate his players, read the game and communicate with his staff. That leads to stress because of a shortened thought process and with stress comes mistakes. That’s why he can do great in one drive where we go all the way and do a TD and then in the next drive he become unsecured and starts to make simple mistakes.

Most elite coaches know what to do when they’re relaxed and without pressure but the difference between the very best and the rest is timing. Do the right thing at the right moment. Another thing is to know when and how to delegate.

If I was Berry/DePosesta (or owner) I would ask myself who’s the best play caller available and then trying to hire him. Let Stefanski continue as a HC bit on game day let him take a step back, concentrate on helping his coaches and coordinators.

Hopefully our GM is smart enough to wait until the season is over before making long term decisions.

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So the total lack of QB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact they don't have any quality RB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact the D gave up 33 points against the Rams is his fault too? See, there are some things you can point to Stefanski for. Not that everyone will agree but at least they're understandable. But when you decide to leave out the big picture to focus on selective points it certainly doesn't represent an impartial opinion.

$230M. Guaranteed. That’s a huge part of our problem.

Not saying we shouldn’t have go for a new QB but the financial packet and the trade was flat out a disaster. So far one of the worst trades ever seen if you look what we get so far after almost two seasons.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I can't predict how it will all end, up to this point I can't disagree with anything you posted.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
For those who champion more run plays, here is the complete list from yesterday's game. Up until the fourth quarter when the Rams had the lead and stopped loading the box with 7 or 8, Cleveland was able to run the ball with more success. If you look at the entire play-by-play list, you will see Cleveland had better success running the ball after a few pass plays. Cleveland must improve their passing games preventing defenses from loading the box.

• 2nd & 4 at CLE 31
(14:25 - 1st) J.Ford right tackle to CLV 33 for 2 yards (J.Williams).
• 3rd & 2 at CLE 33
(13:44 - 1st) K.Hunt up the middle to CLV 39 for 6 yards (J.Fuller).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 39
(13:05 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Ford up the middle to CLV 35 for -4 yards (A.Donald).
• 1st & 10 at LAR 30
(11:04 - 1st) K.Hunt left tackle to LA 24 for 6 yards (B.Young, J.Williams).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 25
(6:28 - 1st) M.Dunn reported in as eligible. K.Hunt right end to CLV 29 for 4 yards (A.Donald, E.Jones).
• 2nd & 6 at CLE 29
(5:48 - 1st) K.Hunt left tackle to CLV 32 for 3 yards (B.Young, E.Jones).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 33
(14:56 - 2nd) J.Ford left tackle to CLV 33 for no gain (E.Jones; L.Murchison).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 44
(13:31 - 2nd) J.Ford right end to CLV 38 for -6 yards (B.Brown).
• 3rd & 3 at LAR 49
(12:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Hunt right tackle to 50 for -1 yards (B.Young, E.Jones).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 44
(9:48 - 2nd) J.Flacco pass short right to K.Hunt to CLV 44 for no gain (E.Jones, K.Thomas).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 2
(6:30 - 2nd) M.Dunn reported in as eligible. K.Hunt up the middle to CLV 3 for 1 yard (E.Jones).
• 2nd & 10 at LAR 38
(4:15 - 2nd) J.Ford left tackle to LA 28 for 10 yards (J.Johnson).
• 1st & 10 at LAR 23
(3:05 - 2nd) K.Hunt left tackle to LA 22 for 1 yard (E.Jones; K.Turner).
• 2nd & 10 at CLE 20
(12:29 - 3rd) K.Hunt up the middle to CLV 27 for 7 yards (E.Jones; J.Johnson).
• 2nd & 1 at CLE 44
(10:22 - 3rd) J.Ford right tackle to CLV 49 for 5 yards (E.Jones, B.Brown).
• 2nd & 1 at LAR 30
(7:27 - 3rd) K.Hunt left guard to LA 26 for 4 yards (E.Jones; J.Johnson).
• 1st & Goal at LAR 9
(5:51 - 3rd) J.Ford up the middle to LA 6 for 3 yards (J.Williams; A.Donald).
• 3rd & 4 at CLE 31
(15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Hunt up the middle to CLV 36 for 5 yards (B.Young).
• 3rd & 2 at CLE 44
(13:33 - 4th) N.Harris, J.Hudson and M.Dunn reported in as eligible. K.Hunt right guard to 50 for 6 yards (B.Brown).
• 2nd & 3 at LAR 43
(12:03 - 4th) P.Strong left tackle to LA 36 for 7 yards (J.Fuller).
• 3rd & 1 at LAR 27
(10:21 - 4th) N.Harris and J.Hudson reported in as eligible. K.Hunt right guard to LA 21 for 6 yards (A.Witherspoon).
• 1st & 10 at LAR 21
(9:40 - 4th) P.Strong right tackle to LA 8 for 13 yards (K.Thomas).
• 1st & 10 at CLE 25
(3:48 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Ford up the middle to CLV 32 for 7 yards (E.Jones, J.Fuller).
• 2nd & 3 at CLE 32
(3:15 - 4th) (No Huddle) J.Ford right tackle to CLV 34 for 2 yards (K.Turner; A.Donald).

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't disagree with what you posted. However, at this point with DW's season over it's now 138 million guaranteed and those 3-1st round pics? The way we draft in the 1st round we would have been lucky to hit on one talented, productive player and that might be a stretch. I don't know how this trade will turn out in the end but the more I think about it the more uneasy I feel. DW may come back and have a 3 very good productive seasons or the bottom could fall out. Time will tell.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/04/23 05:32 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I never really considered that claiming the reason trading away three first round picks because wasn't so bad is because they suck at drafting as a positive message or selling point.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm not advocating it as a positive message or selling point I'm just stating it as a matter of fact from our draft history. Some of us could have thrown darts at names on a board and picked better players than most of our GM's did since "99.

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Floquinho
So the total lack of QB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact they don't have any quality RB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact the D gave up 33 points against the Rams is his fault too? See, there are some things you can point to Stefanski for. Not that everyone will agree but at least they're understandable. But when you decide to leave out the big picture to focus on selective points it certainly doesn't represent an impartial opinion.

Not saying we shouldn’t have go for a new QB but the financial packet and the trade was flat out a disaster. So far one of the worst trades ever seen if you look what we get so far after almost two seasons.

Stefanski had nothing to do with this. This was mostly a result of Baker Throwing a temper tantrum and Berry over-reacting.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So the total lack of QB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact they don't have any quality RB depth is Stefanski's fault? The fact the D gave up 36 points against the Rams is his fault too? See, there are some things you can point to Stefanski for. Not that everyone will agree but at least they're understandable. But when you decide to leave out the big picture to focus on selective points it certainly doesn't represent an impartial opinion.

Wait a minute - is Stefanski the HC of the Cleveland Browns or not? Who was the ultimate person and decision maker responsible for the roster cuts and QB room? The RB room? In 2022, the defense was all Woods problem and Stefanski took no responsibility as the HC for the defense based on comments here. Stefanski got his changes on defense - does he not have input for that side of the ball or is he still just the HC of part of the team? Truthfully, what's the duties of the HC if it's not the team? Just the offense?

The question now becomes - if Sunday's loss was because the defense allowed 36 points, who is responsible? The new DC Schwartz who was a god just 3 weeks ago? Is it Stefanski couldn't get consistent defensive play from Woods and now again with Schwartz? Where's the common denominator here?

The "Big Picture?" Just who is the HC for the Cleveland Browns and what is his responsibilities? If it's just OC duties, then give him the OC job and find a real HC!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255

Wait a minute - is Stefanski the HC of the Cleveland Browns or not? Who was the ultimate person and decision maker responsible for the roster cuts and QB room? The RB room? In 2022, the defense was all Woods problem and Stefanski took no responsibility as the HC for the defense based on comments here. Stefanski got his changes on defense - does he not have input for that side of the ball or is he still just the HC of part of the team? Truthfully, what's the duties of the HC if it's not the team? Just the offense?

The question now becomes - if Sunday's loss was because the defense allowed 36 points, who is responsible? The new DC Schwartz who was a god just 3 weeks ago? Is it Stefanski couldn't get consistent defensive play from Woods and now again with Schwartz? Where's the common denominator here?

The "Big Picture?" Just who is the HC for the Cleveland Browns and what is his responsibilities? If it's just OC duties, then give him the OC job and find a real HC!

The GM is responsible for final roster decisions not the head coach. They collaborate with each other and possibly Depo as well.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #2047486 12/04/23 11:16 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The key is they collaborate with each other, so Stefanski indeed is a decision maker as to my point.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Team rushing attempts for 2023 - Top 10

1. Ravens 390 carries for 1903 yards 4.9 ypc

2. Browns 390 carries for 1621 yards 4.2 ypc

3. Falcons 386 carries for 1622 yards 4.2 ypc

4. Bears 376 carries for 1652 yards 4.4 ypc

5. Eagles 367 carries for 1512 yards 4.1 ypc

6. 49ers 364 carries for 1642 yards 4.5 ypc

7. Lions 358 carries for 1648 yards 4.6 ypc

8. Cardinals 343 carries for 1611 yards 4.7 ypc

9. Cowboys 341 carries for 1404 yards 4.1 ypc

10. Saints 341 carries for 1261 yards 3.7 ypc

O
Legend
Legend
O
We’d be in the top spot if Chubb was still playing. But our run game took a serious drop off. I didn’t see where Hunt had lost a step before he returned, people pointing that out were spot on. I will say I think he gives us his all when he’s in. Ford still has that quick step, but he’s no Chubb or (prime) Hunt. What concerns me more is the fall off in both lines. Our backs should never get caught behind the line of scrimmage, let alone having it happen multiple times a game. The O-line is still opening holes about 70 percent of the time, but they are allowing more pressures and penetration than before.

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by Floquinho

Stefanski had nothing to do with this. This was mostly a result of Baker Throwing a temper tantrum and Berry over-reacting.

Sorry but I think you're wrong!

1. When Baker got hurt in his shoulder Kevin should used his power as a head coach and let him heal until he was ok again. One week, the whole season, it doesn't matter. If a new HC shows maturity and prioritize his players health after a successful season he will gain even more respect among players/coaches/FO/owner and as a concequense it will create the right culture for the future. Mistake number one.

2. Stefanski and Berry wasn't honest with Baker when they wanted to move on. Mistake number two.

3. The final straw was the play calling away against the Steelers when an injured and freightened Baker was heavily hit multiple times by T J Watt & Co. After that game there was no way back Mistake number three.

Baker made his own bed but saying "Stefanski had nothing to do with this" isn't a correct description of what happened.

Legend
Legend
Look at the organizational chart and figure it out.

Who makes the trades? Who handles the draft? How many times has Berry and KS and Haslam made it clear where and who has what responsibility?

Go and listen to the press conferences of Berry, Haslam, and Stefanski.

In addition take a few classes on football so you can understand what you are watching.

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
If Team Berry&Stefanski hadn't burned all bridges with Baker before we negotiated with Team Watson then we could have walked from the negotiation table if the numbers got too high.

That mistake is what costing us now and later restrict our salary cap the next three seasons.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think Baker's time here was done no matter what - the Pit game where he was 'protected' by a third team RT who was left one on one with the best (imo) pass rusher in the NFL sealed that in my opinion.

I'm not following all the debates about Watson and who/why Baker was replaced and how. I don't see the point. Of all the criticisms of Stefanski I have - the issue with Baker is gone and an isoltated incident even if it played out over a season. The play calling tendancies and the game management tendancies are more concerning to me because they have manifested themselves throughout the entire time KS has been calling plays and with whichever QB was playing. Just how I see it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro

Who makes the trades? Who handles the draft? How many times has Berry and KS and Haslam made it clear where and who has what responsibility?

In addition take a few classes on football so you can understand what you are watching.

Why being impolite and throwing insults my friend? We're all supporting the same team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

You are out of your mind if you believe the HC has nothing to do with the roster. I wouldn't and shouldn't buy any kind of talk from the talking heads trying to state something different to sell to the public and protect the calibration of the group. The person who should be taking tutorial classes it's yourself. Any fan on this site that doesn't believe that if Stefanski was 100% behind Mayfield and told Berry and Haslam that he was his guy that he'd still be on the Browns they're living in a dreamworld. Of course, he would, and you know it.

Now there will be guidelines and an organizational plan that the HC may have to abide by but well over 100 players report to camp and Stefanski and the group as a whole make roster decisions from that group or the need to adjust the roster within that group.

Is there an ultimate decision maker? Sure, there is, but that decision is only made after input from the coaches, scouts, assistance coaches, team needs, future needs, contract availability, cap and so on. To think Stefanski has zero say is just BS and you know it. There's no HC in the NFL that would take that job without having anything to say about anything to do with the roster - that's just crazy talk.

Last edited by steve0255; 12/05/23 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling

1 member likes this: Floquinho
mgh888 #2047515 12/05/23 09:25 AM
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think Baker's time here was done no matter what - the Pit game where he was 'protected' by a third team RT who was left one on one with the best (imo) pass rusher in the NFL sealed that in my opinion.

I'm not following all the debates about Watson and who/why Baker was replaced and how. I don't see the point. Of all the criticisms of Stefanski I have - the issue with Baker is gone and an isoltated incident even if it played out over a season. The play calling tendancies and the game management tendancies are more concerning to me because they have manifested themselves throughout the entire time KS has been calling plays and with whichever QB was playing. Just how I see it.
My point was that we were in a bad position when we negotiated with Watson and that lead to us overpaying to get him to sign with us. The reason for that was how we had mishandled Baker by bad communication and dishonesty and therefore going back to him was a no go after our first failed attempt to trade to a new QB. The rest I totally agree with you.

Legend
Legend
Input and final decision are two different responsibilities.

This is clear as crystal. GM Berry makes roster decisions. Head coach KS makes decisions pertaining to what the roster does on the field.

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by steve0255

You are out of your mind if you believe the HC has nothing to do with the roster. I wouldn't and shouldn't buy any kind of talk from the talking heads trying to state something different to sell to the public and protect the calibration of the group. The person who should be taking tutorial classes it's yourself. Any fan on this site that doesn't believe that if Stefanski was 100% behind Mayfield and told Berry and Haslam that he was his guy that he'd still be on the Browns they're living in a dreamworld. Of course, he would, and you know it.

Now there will be guidelines and an organizational plan that the HC may have to abide by but well over 100 players report to camp and Stefanski and the group as a whole make roster decisions from that group or the need to adjust the roster within that group.

Is there an ultimate decision maker? Sure, there is, but that decision is only made after input from the coaches, scouts, assistance coaches, team needs, future needs, contract availability, cap and so on. To think Stefanski has zero say is just BS and you know it. There's no HC in the NFL that would take that job without having anything to say about anything to do with the roster - that's just crazy talk.

Come on! Why sink to the same level?

I probably have 5% knowledge compared to you guys, should I stop posting or getting insults because of that? I’m here because I love talking to you and support my team even if I’m not in agreement with everything.

1 member likes this: Jester
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Input and final decision are two different responsibilities.

This is clear as crystal. GM Berry makes roster decisions. Head coach KS makes decisions pertaining to what the roster does on the field.
Sorry but the Watson deal was decided above his (Berry)pay grade. Just saying.

Last edited by Floquinho; 12/05/23 09:37 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Different topic than the thread title - but I don't believe the Baker situation impacted DW negotiations one bit. The price (draft picks to Houston) for aquiring DW was one thing and set by (reportedly) 3 other teams being in the mix and willing to pay a similar price. The contract and DW accepting CLE had everything to do with DW not wanting to come to CLE. Whether that was because of the climate and or other factors is less of a certainty - but we do know he did not want to come here. Again - my perspective but I think it's reasonably well supported by things reported.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #2047522 12/05/23 09:48 AM
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted by mgh888
Different topic than the thread title - but I don't believe the Baker situation impacted DW negotiations one bit. The price (draft picks to Houston) for aquiring DW was one thing and set by (reportedly) 3 other teams being in the mix and willing to pay a similar price. The contract and DW accepting CLE had everything to do with DW not wanting to come to CLE. Whether that was because of the climate and or other factors is less of a certainty - but we do know he did not want to come here. Again - my perspective but I think it's reasonably well supported by things reported.

probably know better than me but my firm believes is that we panicked and therefore we signed a bad deal. There’s no way anyone can justify 230M under the circumstances with DSW at that time. Just sheer common sense tells you that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree that we panicked and signed a bad deal. Not so sure we weren't there even before tha BAker situation took a turn for the worse. Seems as if there was already a bad situation between Baker and KS that existed for a while

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
You are right about the Watson deal IMO. The reason is because of all that was involved.

It was beyond the normal decision making process.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

[Linked Image from officespecialties.com]

Some of you are going to need this when/if Stefanski is extended.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Day of the Dawg
Legend
Legend
I respect Quincy Carrier because he does his homework and is fair minded.

I do not always agree him. But, I always respect his takes. It is what I look for in real "football talk."

He is a young black guy and I give him credit for what he has done. For over thirty years I watched Browns game with one of my closest friends. We worked together. Back when you could not watch games in Atlanta. I ordered the Browns Illustrated publication. My sister worked at Cleveland Clinic. She would mail me a full week of the Plain Dealer sports section covering the Browns. Bruce and I would pour over the information. Bruce was a black guy from Cleveland Hts. I was in his wedding. We talked on the phone at least five days a week. We would call outside of Atlanta to hotels to see if the Browns games would be on in places like Rome Ga. When sports bars and Sat tv came along we went to places to watch the Browns. We studied the draft every year and discussed it till draft day. When Directv came out we watched every game together. He passed away unexpectedly five years ago. He was only 60. Ironically, Quincy Carrier reminds me so much of Bruce. His voice is damn near identical. His takes on the Browns covering all aspects is damn close to what I would have expected from Bruce.

This is an honest intelligent take on the coaching staff to date.

Last edited by bonefish; 12/05/23 11:25 AM.
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard