Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Foolishly determined… OBJ and his daddy had a hand in that. We’ll see what happens, but I expect Baker to take his team to the playoffs.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Foolishly determined… OBJ and his daddy had a hand in that. We’ll see what happens, but I expect Baker to take his team to the playoffs.

If playoffs are your ceiling, then yes Baker is your guy. If you have good players around him, he can and has proved he can get a team to the playoffs. He is not good enough to beat Mahomes, Allen, etc... in the playoffs. The Browns seen what Joe Burrow could do and seen the Bengals passing them by and made the decision to move on.

I think Baker and the Bucs will win the AFC South. If they don't it will be a major disappointment. They have no shot at getting by the niners, the eagles, the lions, or the cowboys. That is just who Baker is and he limitations.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
That may be true. But then the Jets came within three points of beating the Chiefs in week four with Zach Wilson at QB. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you that Baker has his limitations. He's certainly not the ideal QB you would want to try and lead the charge to a SB victory. But thus far, since his departure I haven't seen any QB take the field for the Browns who didn't appear to have limitations. Not saying that may not change but I am saying we're yet to see it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
That may be true. But then the Jets came within three points of beating the Chiefs in week four with Zach Wilson at QB. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you that Baker has his limitations. He's certainly not the ideal QB you would want to try and lead the charge to a SB victory. But thus far, since his departure I haven't seen any QB take the field for the Browns who didn't appear to have limitations. Not saying that may not change but I am saying we're yet to see it.

I agree. The Browns saw Baker's limitations and seen Burrow and the Bengals passing them and took a chance at who Watson was and hopes he could be here. We have only seen Watson perform to that kind of standard twice the Washington game last year and the Tennessee game this year. Over his career he has achieved more success than Baker and hopefully that success starts to show itself here. As early as this Sunday if he is healthy.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
We just beat the Niners with our 3rd string QB, and without Chubb and Bitonio.

The Jets just beat the Eagles.

Never say never.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Everyone has a past. He could rival what he once was or he may never. Only time will tell. He had 3td's in that Washington game but was 9-18 in pass completions for 169 yards. I'm not sure that means what you think it means. He certainly performed to what we had hoped to see against the Titans. But then again if people such as yourself wish to point out that Baker has only played well against poor teams that same comparison could be used there against the Titans.

But then I'm not one who has tried to use that against either QB. But if I used that logic against one of them, I would use it against both of them and not pick and choose between the two.

If one looks at their respective careers you certainly make a valid point. The potential future success of watson certainly has better odds if you base it upon that. How that all turns out is yet to be seen. Thus far the return on the investment has been poor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Browns should be able to keep PJ Walker on the roster without having to send him back to the PS, if they so choose.

Legend
Legend
LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - 91.3
The third-year linebacker had five tackles, a sack, a pass breakup, and a tackle for loss against the 49ers. Owusu-Koramoah is coming into his own with improved interior play in front of him. Quick instincts and athleticism are the name of the game for JOK, he’s doing it at a high level.

PFF Highest graded player this week is not JAG.

I really do not need PFF. I know what I am seeing.

I respect PFF. I listen to their podcast. They are not the end all however. They are not always correct. In this case they got it right.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...k_6_upset_of_the_49ers/s1_17313_39403814

They graded Myles at like 66 this week. He was playing against Trent Williams. He beat Trent numerous times. Williams called Myles a future HOFer. He is.

Legend
Legend
Too bad about Dunn ... he stepped in really admirably for us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Too bad about Dunn ... he stepped in really admirably for us

He sure did.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
His speed and tackling really stood out the past couple of games.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
The play up front makes a huge difference.

Our front four is like a front eight now because Schwartz rotates fresh players. And tackle play has been vastly improved.

It allows our linebackers freedom to find lanes to penetrate. JOK is outstanding in coverage. He has the speed to cover backs and TE's.

Where he really shines IMO is seeing the flow of the play and using his instincts and speed to disrupt the play.

When I first watched his college tape. I was blown away.

Under Woods his natural ability was nullified to a degree. Not all Woods fault. Tackle play was horrendous. But in addition Woods played way more zone. Coverage assignments were confusing and the communication was not good.

Schwartz has simplified positional play. The players have more freedom to do what is natural for them.

Our secondary is playing way more man coverage. With the front four and the play of the secondary. The linebackers have way more freedom.

Schwartz is not doing crazy stuff. He takes away the bread and butter of the offense we play. The 49er offense is not much different from ours.

Motion is used to free up the run. Multiple plays are run from the same looks.

I love watching this defense. It is like lineup and let's play. We are going to beat you at the LOS.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
If playoffs are your ceiling, then yes Baker is your guy. If you have good players around him, he can and has proved he can get a team to the playoffs. He is not good enough to beat Mahomes, Allen, etc... in the playoffs.

I'm sorry...but that ^ narrative is complete BS. In 2020 Baker 'had his team' one Chad Henne jailbreak away from playing in the AFC Championship game...or one Rashard Higgins fumble-for-touchback. His 'good' players at WR were Landry, Higgins, DPJ and Khadarel Hodge...his TEs were Hooper and Bryant. If that = "good players around him" then I am an astronaut.

The Browns seen what Joe Burrow could do and seen the Bengals passing them by and made the decision to move on.

The Browns probably should have focused on their own QB's play against the Bengals rather than slobbering over Cool Joe who has the luxury of having (2) #1 WRs to throw to and has played for (1) coach who has an offense that is geared to Cool Joe's strengths and weaknesses. Weird idea.

I got over Baker about 30 minutes after we signed DW...I have no use for wondering what could have been with him instead of DW and with (3) 1st Rd + PLUS picks and a ton of salary cap...it simply doesn't matter...but the only narrative more ridiculous than that one ^ is talking about Baker's 2021 season here and completely and conveniently NOT mentioning the shoulder injury that required surgery...it's crazy.

So now we have a QB who is 1-3 in the playoffs and carries a ton of baggage...he's been healthy for (3) games - looking good in (1) - and there's already grumbling that the offense isn't best-tailored for him. His shoulder injury prevents him from playing. He has Cooper, Moore, Goodwin and a now-vet DPJ to throw to with Njoku and without Chubb...and outside of the Titans game he hasn't looked demonstrably better than PJ Walker. Last year we were told that he was rusty...this year the offense isn't tailored to his strengths...and I imagine once he decides to play again we will have a rust-removal timeframe to consider.

BTW and FWIW...I'm not trying to be jerk to you DotD...I'm just so tired of that Baker narrative that I could no longer not opine back at that. I'll apologize in advance if that ^ offended you.

I want DW or DTR or PJ or ? to get us a Super Bowl win...I won't care who the players are or who the coach is when/if that happens. My biggest concern is that in the 1.5 seasons that DW has been on this team he has not consistently looked like a guy who could get us to the playoffs...let alone win enough playoff games to get us to the Super Bowl. My next-biggest concern is that this FO went ALL-IN by signing Watson...we have spent $$$ like crazy...we have a Super Bowl caliber defense...and the one position that is most holding us back is QB.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
If playoffs are your ceiling, then yes Baker is your guy. If you have good players around him, he can and has proved he can get a team to the playoffs. He is not good enough to beat Mahomes, Allen, etc... in the playoffs.

I'm sorry...but that ^ narrative is complete BS. In 2020 Baker 'had his team' one Chad Henne jailbreak away from playing in the AFC Championship game...or one Rashard Higgins fumble-for-touchback. His 'good' players at WR were Landry, Higgins, DPJ and Khadarel Hodge...his TEs were Hooper and Bryant. If that = "good players around him" then I am an astronaut.

The Browns seen what Joe Burrow could do and seen the Bengals passing them by and made the decision to move on.

The Browns probably should have focused on their own QB's play against the Bengals rather than slobbering over Cool Joe who has the luxury of having (2) #1 WRs to throw to and has played for (1) coach who has an offense that is geared to Cool Joe's strengths and weaknesses. Weird idea.

I got over Baker about 30 minutes after we signed DW...I have no use for wondering what could have been with him instead of DW and with (3) 1st Rd + PLUS picks and a ton of salary cap...it simply doesn't matter...but the only narrative more ridiculous than that one ^ is talking about Baker's 2021 season here and completely and conveniently NOT mentioning the shoulder injury that required surgery...it's crazy.

So now we have a QB who is 1-3 in the playoffs and carries a ton of baggage...he's been healthy for (3) games - looking good in (1) - and there's already grumbling that the offense isn't best-tailored for him. His shoulder injury prevents him from playing. He has Cooper, Moore, Goodwin and a now-vet DPJ to throw to with Njoku and without Chubb...and outside of the Titans game he hasn't looked demonstrably better than PJ Walker. Last year we were told that he was rusty...this year the offense isn't tailored to his strengths...and I imagine once he decides to play again we will have a rust-removal timeframe to consider.

BTW and FWIW...I'm not trying to be jerk to you DotD...I'm just so tired of that Baker narrative that I could no longer not opine back at that. I'll apologize in advance if that ^ offended you.

I want DW or DTR or PJ or ? to get us a Super Bowl win...I won't care who the players are or who the coach is when/if that happens. My biggest concern is that in the 1.5 seasons that DW has been on this team he has not consistently looked like a guy who could get us to the playoffs...let alone win enough playoff games to get us to the Super Bowl. My next-biggest concern is that this FO went ALL-IN by signing Watson...we have spent $$$ like crazy...we have a Super Bowl caliber defense...and the one position that is most holding us back is QB.

It sounds like what you really mean about the KC game is that Stefanski is so good and had Higgins running so wide open that even Baker couldn't miss him despite the subpar surrounding receiver talent.

Really, it's just interesting who people give credit for what.

A team can win with Baker. To me, a team probably isn't going to consistently win because of Baker. I'm not saying he's the reason a team won't win. When things inevitably go wrong, I don't think he's a guy that can regularly overcome breakdowns.

Eventually, we'll hopefully get to see what Kevin can do with a good, healthy QB. ...hopefully....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I'm starting to get my hopes up a little. In the past when I did, I was disappointed, but I hope this time it's different!!! ON our QB situation, why can't we sign a vet like Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers or Carson Wentz for insurance on DW? I would think with their experience we'd be better off than what we have and it would just be money not like we're trading for draft picks. Thoughts?

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Originally Posted by bonefish
Frankly, I am sick of the whining.

If there is a smell of negativity it will get dug up.

It's sports. Entertainment or not. You win and lose.

For the last fifty years all I have heard is complaining. Fire this guy. Hire that guy. This guy sucks. Who can we blame?

We get a good coach. Belichick, Marty it does not matter. They get criticized. It is always greener somewhere. Except it is not. Dallas gets talked about non-stop. What have they done?

Everyone has the answers. In their minds.

Watch the game. If it is upsetting. Turn it off. I don't care who gets fired or hired. I am not on the line for it.

I hope I live to see the day the Browns win a Super Bowl.

If not. C'est la vie.

The. Browns have had a good team/ roster for 4 years with one playoff appearance to show for it. Although that victory was one more playoff victory that we have experienced since 99.

That should not mean we are satisfied for the next 20 some years. It has been nice seeing the Browns flirt with a .500 record the last 3 years, especially after perennial 4-12 seasons that fell to a disastrous 1-31 record for 2 years. but this roster should be much more consistent. The FO have addressed many areas since the playoff loss to KC. But the one piece that remains may be the reason the Browns don’t consistently win.

The evidence continues to mount against KS, but many just do not want to see it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Agreed. I'm starting to get my hopes up a little. In the past when I did, I was disappointed, but I hope this time it's different!!! ON our QB situation, why can't we sign a vet like Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers or Carson Wentz for insurance on DW? I would think with their experience we'd be better off than what we have and it would just be money not like we're trading for draft picks. Thoughts?

Each of those looked awful the lasttime they played.

I don't think you'd be getting a significant improvement over PJ.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
A team can win with Baker. To me, a team probably isn't going to consistently win because of Baker. I'm not saying he's the reason a team won't win. When things inevitably go wrong, I don't think he's a guy that can regularly overcome breakdowns.

Eventually, we'll hopefully get to see what Kevin can do with a good, healthy QB. ...hopefully....

I don't disagree with anything you said about Baker. I don't see him as QB who can carry a team but a QB who can help a team. Sadly, after all the money and draft picks invested to address that issue, thus far I haven't seen anything that paints to a significantly different picture now. Almost one and a half seasons down and three and a half to go.

But as always and as has been the the circumstances since 1999, we still have hope. When all else fails we still have that. For all of the good that has done us so far.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I do not think the evidence continues to mount.

Contrary to that actually.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Originally Posted by bonefish
I do not think the evidence continues to mount.

Contrary to that actually.

Besides the Tennessee game.
Where is the evidence that shows this offense is improving?

I really do not know what some of you are seeing.

I see a coach who has .500 written all over him unless he makes some changes on his game management.

And I believe many on here feel the same way.

P
Legend
Legend
P
People see what they wish to see and refuse to see what they don't wish to see.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: GMdawg
Legend
Legend
Frankly, I don't care what others think.

Here is a plain fact. When KS has had good quarterback play. They have won.

The exception was Jacoby. Jacoby played good enough to win. However, the defense last year was horrible.

When Baker played well. The Browns won. When DW played well in the Titan game. They won and looked good doing it.

PJ Walker is a nobody as an NFL quarterback. He was given enough support by the defense. And KS gave him limited plays to get by.
Still he turned the ball over twice and damn near lost the game flat out with a bone head throw into heavy coverage instead of holding the ball and running. Or, throwing it over the end zone.

When KS was with the Vikings as OC. Cousins played his best. Baker's best performances came under KS.

Jacoby's best play was under KS. In fact it got him a good contract with Washington.

If DW returns and plays well. The Browns will win. Then all those who have criticized him will not post a thing.

That's life in Cleveland and every other NFL franchise. Quarterback play matters.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I only disagree with you on one thing. At this juncture some people will always find fault with Stefanski no matter what. They have dug in too deep to ever change course. I mean just look at this week. The Browns put up the second highest point total over the first 6 weeks of the season against a great San Fran D. It was done with no Chubb and a former XFL QB brought up from the practice squad.

Nothing will ever be good enough.

#gmstrong
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Bone very good points

My point is, he has had good players play well, but he can not find a way to win consistently.
There are soooooooo many reasons as have been listed.

Bottom line is win & losses and he is not getting enough wins.
I have said this multiple times the last season in a half. As many have been vocal of giving up play calling duties. Not give up significant input, but give yourself opportunities to see a bigger picture instead of having to constantly come up with a play.

The season is early. If the Browns are to meet goals this year, Kevin Stefanski will be much better at game adjustments and game management at crucial points.

I now unlike previous seasons do not believe that is going to happen.
I hope I am wrong

Legend
Legend
Fans are always looking to hang head coaches if they don't win. It is part of the job.

If anyone has the inkling. Listen to the fan bases in NE, Pit, SD, Den, Dallas.

I do understand that. Also, KS is not without blame. He has made mistakes. Pittsburgh has stayed the course. See what happens if they fall off the cliff this year.

KS is a first time head coach. Overall IMO he has done enough to keep his job. The keys to the kingdom were given to DW.

It was a calculated risk. People questioned it and rightfully so. It was Haslam's call to make. Now we have to see how it plays out.

Unless things go really bad. I do not think KS is going anywhere.

If DW balls out. The Browns will have a damn good year. DW will be the qb and KS will be the head coach.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I can not see KS coming back without a winning record.

We could have a winning record and miss the playoffs and I could see him coming back. I don’t know if I would agree, but could see it. Man that seat would be on fire.

There are a lot games to be played to be played that will answer a lot of questions. But the playoffs have to be a huge part of bringing KS back.

Of the teams you mentioned, Pittsburg is the only team whose coach shouldn’t be talked about. & Steeler fans have bitched about Tomlin forever. They have no idea.

NE & D look bad. Why would Patriots fans not be looking for the next coach?
Peyton will get time, it Wilson is probably getting as much talk as Watson.

Last edited by DawgPound75; 10/18/23 04:12 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So how is Belichick doing without Brady? How about Payton without Brees? Man do those HC's suck!

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
KS has not been able to coach his team to anything resembling consistent success nor improvement. He had an extra week to get PJ ready for San Fran and they had to fly across the country and play a game starting at 10:00am. His team played well Sunday against a very good team and he did that with backups in key spots. Great job actually.

So...now...lets see what he does this coming week. Will we lay an egg like we do so often after a good win? Or will we start looking like a team with direction and purpose?

Legend
Legend
one thing that teams have done to KS's offense: eliminated the boot stuff and really limited our screen game. When KS first got here, we really kept teams off balance with that stuff ... now, we are much more of a vanilla type offense ... just from my observation

Also, our YAC is putrid, and that's been a KS trend. We gotta fix that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The reasons for the previous bootlegs were because of the limitations of Baker.

It was used to get him in areas so he could better see the field. Baker was not good in the pocket. His view of the field was blocked.

He got happy feet. He became susceptible to sacks. Bootleg left on the roll created throwing lanes.

We are not more plain vanilla. We use motion and counters with options off the same looks. Not unlike the 49ers.

We don't have yac receivers. Moore was supposed to be that. However, Moore and DW have not played but 3 games. One of those was the opener when conditions were not favorable.

Legend
Legend
We currently rank 27th in pre-snap motion and dead last in YAC

I understand the concept of limiting Baker's weaknesses, which makes sense .. but I just don't feel defenses off balance like they had been in KS's first 1-1.5 years

Seth Walder
@SethWalder
Motion report through Week 6!

This is sorted by rate of motion at the snap. The second column is all motion (at snap and motion and set).

B
Legend
Legend
B
one thing that teams have done to KS's offense: eliminated the boot stuff and really limited our screen game. When KS first got here, we really kept teams off balance with that stuff ... now, we are much more of a vanilla type offense ... just from my observation

Also, our YAC is putrid, and that's been a KS trend. We gotta fix that

Or have teams taken away the screen?

I don't see the offense as vanilla, I see it as one trying to work through injuries and issues at QB.

We are 5 games in to a season where players have been injured and trying to find their rhythm. We are 3-2 in those games. Before the season, i think most people felt that was going to be our record. Just chill a bit. Enjoy the D and give the O a bit more time. Once they figure it out, we can be a very dangerous team.

I don't think it is Stefanski, I think it is series of circumstances holding us back on O. Lets see how it is working in a few weeks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: bonefish
M
Legend
Legend
M
We currently rank 27th in pre-snap motion and dead last in YAC

I understand the concept of limiting Baker's weaknesses, which makes sense .. but I just don't feel defenses off balance like they had been in KS's first 1-1.5 years

Seth Walder
@SethWalder
Motion report through Week 6!

This is sorted by rate of motion at the snap. The second column is all motion (at snap and motion and set).

Here are the numbers from Seth Walder. The Browns have been disappointingly low in the use motion at the snap and use of motion overall.

Legend
Legend
thanks Milk .. yeah, thats a really disappointing number. In general, the "good" teams are near the top there

O
Legend
Legend
O
Could this be due to the changes we made to the offense over this off-season? I feel like I heard a lot about big changes that were coming with Watson fully "in", but really can't seem to discern what we're trying to be.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
yeah that could be the case .. I do recall having us near the top of that "motion" list with Baker in KS's first year. I don't know what to attribute the change to

Legend
Legend
20-28
26-24

Which one is Bill Belichicks record in his first three years with the Browns and which one is Stefanski's

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
yeah that could be the case .. I do recall having us near the top of that "motion" list with Baker in KS's first year. I don't know what to attribute the change to

We've had backup QBs playing, so we've had a simplified offensive attack. Keeping track of the play clock and making sure everyone is aligned right when you've been with the team for less than a month isn't exactly easy without throwing in a bunch of motion.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
yeah I'm not discounting the fact that we've had a pretty big fluctuation in personnel

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
20-28
26-24

Which one is Bill Belichicks record in his first three years with the Browns and which one is Stefanski's

Another way of looking at those numbers:

Belichick's 1st 4 seasons
6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5

KS 1st 4 seasons
11-5
8-9
7-10
TBD - currently 3-2

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard